|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two kinds of animals does the island king plan to take along on the escape voyage to use for meat?
2. What series of natural phenomena are described as the cause of events in the opening section?
3. What is an accurate description of the earliest body of water?
4. How long will the sailing voyage from New England to Hawaii take?
5. What living creatures are likely to discover a new island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were likely to be the earliest living creatures to visit the newly formed island in Chapter 1?
2. In Chapter 1, what natural feature does author James Michener describe as dwarfing all others on Earth, and why?
3. When the wife of missionary Abraham Hewlett goes into labor, Abner must deliver the baby. He consults his book on midwifery but won't gather the herbs that the Hawaiian women say that Mrs. Hewlett will need after the birth. What happens as a result?
4. What dangerous message does Teroro receive from Tehani, the fourteen-year-old girl who takes him to her sleeping quarters after the convocation?
5. What are the earliest life forms that an island can support, once it has formed soil?
6. Nine years later, Abner is delighted to learn that his oldest son, Micah, is returning to Hawaii as a minister. But when he meets the ship, he learns that Micah has married the daughter of Neolani (and granddaughter of the old Alii-Nui, Malama). How does Abner react to this news?
7. After the island in Chapter 1 was fully formed, the earth shifted, sinking it under 1,200 feet of water again for millions of years. What new feature formed around the island during that time?
8. What hard emotional choice much Teroro make, when it is time for the group to sail north?
9. How well do King Tamatoa and the high priest get along, and why do you think so?
10. By the time the island emerged again and developed into a lush paradise of unique foliage, ready for discovery, what was the one thing lacking that human explorers would need?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 3, Abner Hale and John Whipple begin as roommates at Yale, and both answer the call to do missionary work in Hawaii, but their paths soon diverge as their decisions bring them into greater and greater conflict with one another. Which of these men eventually feels more fulfilled by the life choices he has made, and why?
Essay Topic 2
How do you think Kamejiro Sakagawa feels, on December 7, 1941, when the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor? Discuss the ways in which he has expressed his life-long allegiance to Japan, his feelings about Hawaii, and whether his children feel the same or differently about the day's event.
Essay Topic 3
Describe what happened politically in Hawaii between the ascension of Queen Liliuokalani to the throne in 1891 and Hawaii's annexation by the United States in 1898. What actions did Micah Hale and the white politicians take, and how do you feel about the fairness of those actions?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)