|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What early life forms can the ocean bring to an island?
2. What bad omen does the island king experience before he sails away?
3. When the island submerged, what formed over it?
4. How many miles does the group have to sail to reach their new home?
5. What else does the island king plan to take along on the escape voyage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dangerous message does Teroro receive from Tehani, the fourteen-year-old girl who takes him to her sleeping quarters after the convocation?
2. In Chapter 1, what natural feature does author James Michener describe as dwarfing all others on Earth, and why?
3. How does the voyage go, and what good and/or bad omens do the travelers encounter?
4. Malama wants to study how to read and write in English. Abner Hale wants her to learn about God first. How is this impasse resolved?
5. What are the earliest life forms that an island can support, once it has formed soil?
6. In Chapter 3, why does the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions (ABCFM) insist that Abner Hale get married before he is allowed to sail to Hawaii as a missionary?
7. How does Abner Hale react when he is told that Hawaiians, including their Alii Nui (queen), Malama, practice polygamy, and that the rocks in the garden are family gods?
8. Nine years later, Abner is delighted to learn that his oldest son, Micah, is returning to Hawaii as a minister. But when he meets the ship, he learns that Micah has married the daughter of Neolani (and granddaughter of the old Alii-Nui, Malama). How does Abner react to this news?
9. Is the formation of a new island a quick process? Why or why not?
10. What happened, millions of years ago, when a rupture occurred on the ocean floor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what happened politically in Hawaii between the ascension of Queen Liliuokalani to the throne in 1891 and Hawaii's annexation by the United States in 1898. What actions did Micah Hale and the white politicians take, and how do you feel about the fairness of those actions?
Essay Topic 2
Define a "theocracy," a "monarchy," and a "democracy." Discuss the strengths and shortcomings of each, and examine how each was depicted in the novel HAWAII.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast King Tamatoa of Bora Bora and his brother, Teroro. Explore the positive and negative traits of both men. Which of them do you find more admirable, and why? Please illustrate your reasons with specific examples and information from Chapter 2.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)