|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After much argument, what is sacrificed when the island king and his people build a temple at their new home?
2. In comparison with the other land masses on the planet, what best describes these islands?
3. What else does the island king plan to take along on the escape voyage?
4. What good omen appears during the voyage?
5. What bad omen does the island king experience before he sails away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the first new village site the king and his followers choose, and is what happens good or bad?
2. By the time the island emerged again and developed into a lush paradise of unique foliage, ready for discovery, what was the one thing lacking that human explorers would need?
3. The six-month ocean voyage to Hawaii is a rough test of endurance. How does Abner Hale respond to this challenge?
4. How does Abner Hale react when he is told that Hawaiians, including their Alii Nui (queen), Malama, practice polygamy, and that the rocks in the garden are family gods?
5. How could new plants and life forms reach an island as isolated as the one described in Chapter 1?
6. Once the king and his followers settle at their new village site, they make many important decisions about their future. Pick one and discuss it briefly.
7. Three years after Mrs. Hewlett's death, Mr. Hewlett marries a Hawaiian girl. How do the ABCFM and the local missionary community react to this news?
8. Once an island finally reaches the ocean's surface, is its presence there permanent? Why or why not?
9. In Chapter 3, why does the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions (ABCFM) insist that Abner Hale get married before he is allowed to sail to Hawaii as a missionary?
10. What happened, millions of years ago, when a rupture occurred on the ocean floor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast King Tamatoa of Bora Bora and his brother, Teroro. Explore the positive and negative traits of both men. Which of them do you find more admirable, and why? Please illustrate your reasons with specific examples and information from Chapter 2.
Essay Topic 2
Explore Abner Hale's reaction to his son Micah's return to Hawaii in 1849, and how that reaction changes when he is introduced to Micah's new bride, Malama Hoxworth. Explore the personal histories that account for Abner Hale's extreme reaction, and explain how this incident was a major contributing factor in the establishment of the powerful company known as Hoxworth and Hale.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 3, Abner Hale and John Whipple begin as roommates at Yale, and both answer the call to do missionary work in Hawaii, but their paths soon diverge as their decisions bring them into greater and greater conflict with one another. Which of these men eventually feels more fulfilled by the life choices he has made, and why?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)