|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What percent of Lahaina's population dies in the measles epidemic?
2. What god does the island king silently accept, at the temple ceremony?
3. What god was the island chief's father sacrificed to appease?
4. What two kinds of animals does the island king plan to take along on the escape voyage to use for meat?
5. After nine years in Hawaii, how many children do Abner and Jerusha have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does King Tamatoa plan to do about his conflict with the powerful and dangerous high priest?
2. By the time the island emerged again and developed into a lush paradise of unique foliage, ready for discovery, what was the one thing lacking that human explorers would need?
3. Is the formation of a new island a quick process? Why or why not?
4. What does James Michener think of the civilization that existed on the island of Bora Bora at the time that we first see the villagers in Chapter 2?
5. After the island in Chapter 1 was fully formed, the earth shifted, sinking it under 1,200 feet of water again for millions of years. What new feature formed around the island during that time?
6. Nine years later, Abner is delighted to learn that his oldest son, Micah, is returning to Hawaii as a minister. But when he meets the ship, he learns that Micah has married the daughter of Neolani (and granddaughter of the old Alii-Nui, Malama). How does Abner react to this news?
7. What dangerous message does Teroro receive from Tehani, the fourteen-year-old girl who takes him to her sleeping quarters after the convocation?
8. What are the earliest life forms that an island can support, once it has formed soil?
9. Abner and his wife, Jerusha, had four children. When Jerusha dies, what becomes of their children?
10. What do the king and his brother, Teroro, argue bitterly about, when the time comes to build the first temple on their new island, and what compromise do they reach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what happened politically in Hawaii between the ascension of Queen Liliuokalani to the throne in 1891 and Hawaii's annexation by the United States in 1898. What actions did Micah Hale and the white politicians take, and how do you feel about the fairness of those actions?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 6, after World War II, the Japanese wife of Goro Sakagama meets with Dr. Sumi Yamazaki, a young sociologist from the University of Hawaii who is making a study of Japanese women who married American G.I.s. Dr. Yamazaki's findings indicate that the happiness of those Japanese brides depends largely on whether the American husband is of Caucasian, Chinese or Japanese descent. Describe Dr. Yamazaki's findings for each of these ethnic groups, and whether you believe her theories to be true or untrue.
Essay Topic 3
Cultures and ethnic groups that are thrown together geographically have two basic choices: they can clash or they can blend. Show examples of each from HAWAII.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)