|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is challenging the island king for power?
2. What world leader's death is mentioned as occurring around the time period described in Chapter 2?
3. What percent of Lahaina's population dies in the measles epidemic?
4. What series of natural phenomena are described as the cause of events in the opening section?
5. The island king avoids the celebration after the ceremony, and instead goes home with 14-year-old Tehani. Who is Tehani's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Shigeo Sakagawa is sent by the U.S. Army to serve in Japan in 1946, his mother urges him to try to marry a girl from the area around Hiroshima. What major historical event of World War II is she ignoring when she gives him this advice?
2. What dangerous message does Teroro receive from Tehani, the fourteen-year-old girl who takes him to her sleeping quarters after the convocation?
3. Teroro is King Tamatoa's brother. Is he loyal to the king or loyal to the high priest? How can you tell?
4. Chapter 6 is entitled "The Golden Men," which is a term intended to describe a certain kind of individual who was beginning to appear in Hawaiian society. Describe some of the traits that would qualify someone as a "Golden Man."
5. During the early days of World War II, how does a war-bond speech made by Hong Kong Kee end up causing him to loan the money that enables Kamejiro to open a grocery store?
6. In Chapter 3, why does the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions (ABCFM) insist that Abner Hale get married before he is allowed to sail to Hawaii as a missionary?
7. The Alii Nui, Malama, dies, and her daughter Neolani becomes the new Alii Nui in her place. What is Malama's dying wish, and do Malama's family members and Abner honor it?
8. What hard emotional choice much Teroro make, when it is time for the group to sail north?
9. In 1868, Mun Ki is eager to return to China with his four sons and his wife, Nyuk Tsin, when his work contract ends. Why would such a return effectively separate Nyuk Tsin from her sons?
10. In 1946, Hong Kong Kee becomes aware that he is being investigated by someone from the mainland. What local individual does he discover is behind the inquiries?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cultures and ethnic groups that are thrown together geographically have two basic choices: they can clash or they can blend. Show examples of each from HAWAII.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character of Char Nyuk Tsin. What were her most admirable traits? What traits made her life more difficult? How does Michener use her as a lens through which to view the changes in Hawaii between the 1860's and the 1950's?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Hawaiian experience of missionary Abraham Hewlett, first with his wife Urania and then, after her death, with his wife Malia. Then compare and contrast how Hewlett was treated by Abner Hale and how he was treated by John Whipple.
This section contains 1,827 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)