|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes lava rock to decompose?
2. What is trapped in the rocks because of how they are formed?
3. What is the primary setting of Chapter 2?
4. At the time of their journey, seven centuries before Columbus, what people had sailed the farthest?
5. What task is assigned to the missionaries?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the first new village site the king and his followers choose, and is what happens good or bad?
2. What were likely to be the earliest living creatures to visit the newly formed island in Chapter 1?
3. Teroro is King Tamatoa's brother. Is he loyal to the king or loyal to the high priest? How can you tell?
4. How does Abner Hale react when he is told that Hawaiians, including their Alii Nui (queen), Malama, practice polygamy, and that the rocks in the garden are family gods?
5. In Chapter 3, why does the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions (ABCFM) insist that Abner Hale get married before he is allowed to sail to Hawaii as a missionary?
6. How well do King Tamatoa and the high priest get along, and why do you think so?
7. By the time the island emerged again and developed into a lush paradise of unique foliage, ready for discovery, what was the one thing lacking that human explorers would need?
8. What dangerous message does Teroro receive from Tehani, the fourteen-year-old girl who takes him to her sleeping quarters after the convocation?
9. What are the earliest life forms that an island can support, once it has formed soil?
10. Is the formation of a new island a quick process? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast how well or poorly the following characters dealt with change, during their lifetimes: (a) Abner Hale; (b) Nyuk Tsin; and (c) Kamejiro Sakagawa.
Essay Topic 2
How do you think Kamejiro Sakagawa feels, on December 7, 1941, when the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor? Discuss the ways in which he has expressed his life-long allegiance to Japan, his feelings about Hawaii, and whether his children feel the same or differently about the day's event.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the reasons why Reiko Sakagawa was not given the same opportunities as her four brothers to attend college, whether you believe that her father's choices and actions toward her were affected by her gender, and why you feel that those choices and actions were or were not fair.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)