|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time span is covered in Chapter 1?
2. At the time of their journey, seven centuries before Columbus, what people had sailed the farthest?
3. What percent of Lahaina's population dies in the measles epidemic?
4. What is the name of the island king?
5. What happens to the site of the island king's first new settlement?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the voyage go, and what good and/or bad omens do the travelers encounter?
2. What are the earliest life forms that an island can support, once it has formed soil?
3. Teroro is King Tamatoa's brother. Is he loyal to the king or loyal to the high priest? How can you tell?
4. How well do King Tamatoa and the high priest get along, and why do you think so?
5. Since a new island is made of bare rock, where its soil come from?
6. Once the king and his followers settle at their new village site, they make many important decisions about their future. Pick one and discuss it briefly.
7. What is Abner's reaction when the crew of a docked whaling ship go on a rampage through the settlement, sacking the homes of Hawaiians and raping their women?
8. Is the formation of a new island a quick process? Why or why not?
9. What dangerous message does Teroro receive from Tehani, the fourteen-year-old girl who takes him to her sleeping quarters after the convocation?
10. What does King Tamatoa plan to do about his conflict with the powerful and dangerous high priest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the character of Char Nyuk Tsin. What were her most admirable traits? What traits made her life more difficult? How does Michener use her as a lens through which to view the changes in Hawaii between the 1860's and the 1950's?
Essay Topic 2
Describe what happened politically in Hawaii between the ascension of Queen Liliuokalani to the throne in 1891 and Hawaii's annexation by the United States in 1898. What actions did Micah Hale and the white politicians take, and how do you feel about the fairness of those actions?
Essay Topic 3
What might have happened differently if all of the missionaries who initially came to Hawaii had been like Abner Hale? What might have happened differently if they had all been like John Whipple?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)