|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Jerusha dies, what happens to her children?
2. What does Keoki tell Abner about the rocks in Malama's garden?
3. What best describes the island civilization described in Chapter 2?
4. What relation is Teroro to the island king?
5. Once an island is formed, what can further eruptions cause?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the king and his brother, Teroro, argue bitterly about, when the time comes to build the first temple on their new island, and what compromise do they reach?
2. In Chapter 1, what natural feature does author James Michener describe as dwarfing all others on Earth, and why?
3. What hard emotional choice much Teroro make, when it is time for the group to sail north?
4. When the wife of missionary Abraham Hewlett goes into labor, Abner must deliver the baby. He consults his book on midwifery but won't gather the herbs that the Hawaiian women say that Mrs. Hewlett will need after the birth. What happens as a result?
5. What does James Michener think of the civilization that existed on the island of Bora Bora at the time that we first see the villagers in Chapter 2?
6. How does the voyage go, and what good and/or bad omens do the travelers encounter?
7. Abner and his wife, Jerusha, had four children. When Jerusha dies, what becomes of their children?
8. The six-month ocean voyage to Hawaii is a rough test of endurance. How does Abner Hale respond to this challenge?
9. How does Abner Hale react when he is told that Hawaiians, including their Alii Nui (queen), Malama, practice polygamy, and that the rocks in the garden are family gods?
10. After the island in Chapter 1 was fully formed, the earth shifted, sinking it under 1,200 feet of water again for millions of years. What new feature formed around the island during that time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In her 100th year, Nyuk Tsin offers the following piece of advice to her grandson, Hong Kong Kee: "If someone wants to hurt you, keep him off balance. Make him take the first step toward you, for then you can watch him coming and take precautions." Discuss how this advice applies to decisions that Nyuk Tsin has made during her long life.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history of intermarriage between the family lines of the original missionary families (Hale, Whipple, Hoxworth, Hewlett, and Janders). How is it reflected in their children's names? How did it affect business decisions, alliances and rivalries between the various families, in the century that followed?
Essay Topic 3
Define a "theocracy," a "monarchy," and a "democracy." Discuss the strengths and shortcomings of each, and examine how each was depicted in the novel HAWAII.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)