|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 1, what best describes the island?
2. Abner condemns the Hawaiian practice of polygamy. What is polygamy?
3. What are the Seven Little Eyes?
4. What is trapped in the rocks because of how they are formed?
5. What word best describes the foliage on the island at the end of Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Abner and his wife, Jerusha, had four children. When Jerusha dies, what becomes of their children?
2. Three years after Mrs. Hewlett's death, Mr. Hewlett marries a Hawaiian girl. How do the ABCFM and the local missionary community react to this news?
3. How could new plants and life forms reach an island as isolated as the one described in Chapter 1?
4. Is the formation of a new island a quick process? Why or why not?
5. Malama wants to study how to read and write in English. Abner Hale wants her to learn about God first. How is this impasse resolved?
6. What do the king and his brother, Teroro, argue bitterly about, when the time comes to build the first temple on their new island, and what compromise do they reach?
7. What does James Michener think of the civilization that existed on the island of Bora Bora at the time that we first see the villagers in Chapter 2?
8. In Chapter 3, why does the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions (ABCFM) insist that Abner Hale get married before he is allowed to sail to Hawaii as a missionary?
9. When the wife of missionary Abraham Hewlett goes into labor, Abner must deliver the baby. He consults his book on midwifery but won't gather the herbs that the Hawaiian women say that Mrs. Hewlett will need after the birth. What happens as a result?
10. Since a new island is made of bare rock, where its soil come from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Hawaiian experience of missionary Abraham Hewlett, first with his wife Urania and then, after her death, with his wife Malia. Then compare and contrast how Hewlett was treated by Abner Hale and how he was treated by John Whipple.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character of Char Nyuk Tsin. What were her most admirable traits? What traits made her life more difficult? How does Michener use her as a lens through which to view the changes in Hawaii between the 1860's and the 1950's?
Essay Topic 3
What were the good and bad points about the actions and decisions taken by the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions (ABCFM) with regard to the mission work carried out in Hawaii? How might the fate of the island have been affected if no missionaries had come to Hawaii at all?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)