|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Abner's oldest son married Noelani's daughter, how does Abner react?
2. What is the name of the science that studies how the earth is formed?
3. What else does the island king plan to take along on the escape voyage?
4. What is the name of the island king?
5. When Kelolo teaches Hawaiian history to Abner, how many generations does he say have been born since the original founding journey from Bora Bora?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dangerous message does Teroro receive from Tehani, the fourteen-year-old girl who takes him to her sleeping quarters after the convocation?
2. When the wife of missionary Abraham Hewlett goes into labor, Abner must deliver the baby. He consults his book on midwifery but won't gather the herbs that the Hawaiian women say that Mrs. Hewlett will need after the birth. What happens as a result?
3. In Chapter 3, why does the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions (ABCFM) insist that Abner Hale get married before he is allowed to sail to Hawaii as a missionary?
4. What happens to the first new village site the king and his followers choose, and is what happens good or bad?
5. Nine years later, Abner is delighted to learn that his oldest son, Micah, is returning to Hawaii as a minister. But when he meets the ship, he learns that Micah has married the daughter of Neolani (and granddaughter of the old Alii-Nui, Malama). How does Abner react to this news?
6. In Chapter 1, what natural feature does author James Michener describe as dwarfing all others on Earth, and why?
7. What were likely to be the earliest living creatures to visit the newly formed island in Chapter 1?
8. By the time the island emerged again and developed into a lush paradise of unique foliage, ready for discovery, what was the one thing lacking that human explorers would need?
9. What does King Tamatoa plan to do about his conflict with the powerful and dangerous high priest?
10. What hard emotional choice much Teroro make, when it is time for the group to sail north?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the good and bad points about the actions and decisions taken by the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions (ABCFM) with regard to the mission work carried out in Hawaii? How might the fate of the island have been affected if no missionaries had come to Hawaii at all?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the relationship shared by each of the following couples:
(a) Abner Hale and his wife Jerusha;
(b) Mun Ki and his wife Nyuk Tsin; and
(c) Malama (the Alii Nui) and her husband Kelolo
Essay Topic 3
In his secret journal, missionary Immanuel Quigley wrote: "The Hawaiian is destined to diminish year by year, dispossessed, distraught and confused." In regard to that passage, his descendant Elinor Henderson states that Quigley "...said that we Christians had invaded the islands with the proper God but with an improper set of supporting values. It was his conviction that our God saved the islands, but our ideas killed them. Particularly the Hawaiians." Do you agree or disagree with this view? Explain why, and support your opinion with examples from the book.
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)