|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the voyage from New England to Hawaii, how many people must share each small cabin?
2. How many miles does the group have to sail to reach their new home?
3. What good omen appears during the voyage?
4. What is one reason that the sailors sail back to their original island during Chapter 2?
5. What causes lava rock to decompose?
Short Essay Questions
1. How well do King Tamatoa and the high priest get along, and why do you think so?
2. What hard emotional choice much Teroro make, when it is time for the group to sail north?
3. Once an island finally reaches the ocean's surface, is its presence there permanent? Why or why not?
4. How does Abner Hale react when he is told that Hawaiians, including their Alii Nui (queen), Malama, practice polygamy, and that the rocks in the garden are family gods?
5. By the time the island emerged again and developed into a lush paradise of unique foliage, ready for discovery, what was the one thing lacking that human explorers would need?
6. After the island in Chapter 1 was fully formed, the earth shifted, sinking it under 1,200 feet of water again for millions of years. What new feature formed around the island during that time?
7. In Chapter 3, why does the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions (ABCFM) insist that Abner Hale get married before he is allowed to sail to Hawaii as a missionary?
8. Nine years later, Abner is delighted to learn that his oldest son, Micah, is returning to Hawaii as a minister. But when he meets the ship, he learns that Micah has married the daughter of Neolani (and granddaughter of the old Alii-Nui, Malama). How does Abner react to this news?
9. Teroro is King Tamatoa's brother. Is he loyal to the king or loyal to the high priest? How can you tell?
10. What happened, millions of years ago, when a rupture occurred on the ocean floor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define a "theocracy," a "monarchy," and a "democracy." Discuss the strengths and shortcomings of each, and examine how each was depicted in the novel HAWAII.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the reasons why Reiko Sakagawa was not given the same opportunities as her four brothers to attend college, whether you believe that her father's choices and actions toward her were affected by her gender, and why you feel that those choices and actions were or were not fair.
Essay Topic 3
In her 100th year, Nyuk Tsin offers the following piece of advice to her grandson, Hong Kong Kee: "If someone wants to hurt you, keep him off balance. Make him take the first step toward you, for then you can watch him coming and take precautions." Discuss how this advice applies to decisions that Nyuk Tsin has made during her long life.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)