|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the science that studies how the earth is formed?
2. How many miles does the group have to sail to reach their new home?
3. What percent of Lahaina's population dies in the measles epidemic?
4. How does Abner meet John Whipple?
5. Who helps Jerusha when her first child, a son, is born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Nine years later, Abner is delighted to learn that his oldest son, Micah, is returning to Hawaii as a minister. But when he meets the ship, he learns that Micah has married the daughter of Neolani (and granddaughter of the old Alii-Nui, Malama). How does Abner react to this news?
2. How does the voyage go, and what good and/or bad omens do the travelers encounter?
3. What does James Michener think of the civilization that existed on the island of Bora Bora at the time that we first see the villagers in Chapter 2?
4. Teroro is King Tamatoa's brother. Is he loyal to the king or loyal to the high priest? How can you tell?
5. What hard emotional choice much Teroro make, when it is time for the group to sail north?
6. What are the earliest life forms that an island can support, once it has formed soil?
7. Abner and his wife, Jerusha, had four children. When Jerusha dies, what becomes of their children?
8. By the time the island emerged again and developed into a lush paradise of unique foliage, ready for discovery, what was the one thing lacking that human explorers would need?
9. How well do King Tamatoa and the high priest get along, and why do you think so?
10. What is Abner's reaction when the crew of a docked whaling ship go on a rampage through the settlement, sacking the homes of Hawaiians and raping their women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what happened politically in Hawaii between the ascension of Queen Liliuokalani to the throne in 1891 and Hawaii's annexation by the United States in 1898. What actions did Micah Hale and the white politicians take, and how do you feel about the fairness of those actions?
Essay Topic 2
Explore Abner Hale's reaction to his son Micah's return to Hawaii in 1849, and how that reaction changes when he is introduced to Micah's new bride, Malama Hoxworth. Explore the personal histories that account for Abner Hale's extreme reaction, and explain how this incident was a major contributing factor in the establishment of the powerful company known as Hoxworth and Hale.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 6, after World War II, the Japanese wife of Goro Sakagama meets with Dr. Sumi Yamazaki, a young sociologist from the University of Hawaii who is making a study of Japanese women who married American G.I.s. Dr. Yamazaki's findings indicate that the happiness of those Japanese brides depends largely on whether the American husband is of Caucasian, Chinese or Japanese descent. Describe Dr. Yamazaki's findings for each of these ethnic groups, and whether you believe her theories to be true or untrue.
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)