Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the island king attends the temple ceremony, what is displayed there?
2. Why does Abner preach the first Sunday service on the voyage to Hawaii?
3. What percent of Lahaina's population dies in the measles epidemic?
4. What two kinds of animals does the island king plan to take along on the escape voyage to use for meat?
5. What world leader's death is mentioned as occurring around the time period described in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Kee Chun Fat, who made his money in the California gold fields, tells his nephew, Mun Ki, what a Chinese must do in order to succeed in America. What is his advice?
2. Later in 1946, in the Japanese city of Yokahama, what does Shigeo notice about the involvement of women in the city's clean-up effort, and why does it seem unfair?
3. What does James Michener think of the civilization that existed on the island of Bora Bora at the time that we first see the villagers in Chapter 2?
4. Once an island finally reaches the ocean's surface, is its presence there permanent? Why or why not?
5. What happens to the first new village site the king and his followers choose, and is what happens good or bad?
6. What were likely to be the earliest living creatures to visit the newly formed island in Chapter 1?
7. How well do King Tamatoa and the high priest get along, and why do you think so?
8. What are the earliest life forms that an island can support, once it has formed soil?
9. What is Abner's reaction when the crew of a docked whaling ship go on a rampage through the settlement, sacking the homes of Hawaiians and raping their women?
10. In Japan in 1902, twenty-year-old Sakagawa Kamejiro is sent by his family council to work in the Hawaii sugar fields. Why does he agree to leave his homeland and take this job?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history of intermarriage between the family lines of the original missionary families (Hale, Whipple, Hoxworth, Hewlett, and Janders). How is it reflected in their children's names? How did it affect business decisions, alliances and rivalries between the various families, in the century that followed?
Essay Topic 2
Describe what happened politically in Hawaii between the ascension of Queen Liliuokalani to the throne in 1891 and Hawaii's annexation by the United States in 1898. What actions did Micah Hale and the white politicians take, and how do you feel about the fairness of those actions?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast King Tamatoa of Bora Bora and his brother, Teroro. Explore the positive and negative traits of both men. Which of them do you find more admirable, and why? Please illustrate your reasons with specific examples and information from Chapter 2.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)