|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one reason that the sailors sail back to their original island during Chapter 2?
2. When Jesus and Mohammed were alive, what stage were the islands at?
3. The island king avoids the celebration after the ceremony, and instead goes home with 14-year-old Tehani. Who is Tehani's father?
4. How does Malama, the royal Anii-Nui, treat the missionaries when they arrive in Hawaii?
5. What is the name of the newest god and the island of the gods?
Short Essay Questions
1. Abner and his wife, Jerusha, had four children. When Jerusha dies, what becomes of their children?
2. What happened, millions of years ago, when a rupture occurred on the ocean floor?
3. The Alii Nui, Malama, dies, and her daughter Neolani becomes the new Alii Nui in her place. What is Malama's dying wish, and do Malama's family members and Abner honor it?
4. What happens to the first new village site the king and his followers choose, and is what happens good or bad?
5. What do the king and his brother, Teroro, argue bitterly about, when the time comes to build the first temple on their new island, and what compromise do they reach?
6. Teroro is King Tamatoa's brother. Is he loyal to the king or loyal to the high priest? How can you tell?
7. What dangerous message does Teroro receive from Tehani, the fourteen-year-old girl who takes him to her sleeping quarters after the convocation?
8. Is the formation of a new island a quick process? Why or why not?
9. How does the voyage go, and what good and/or bad omens do the travelers encounter?
10. What is Abner's reaction when the crew of a docked whaling ship go on a rampage through the settlement, sacking the homes of Hawaiians and raping their women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the good and bad points about the actions and decisions taken by the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions (ABCFM) with regard to the mission work carried out in Hawaii? How might the fate of the island have been affected if no missionaries had come to Hawaii at all?
Essay Topic 2
In her 100th year, Nyuk Tsin offers the following piece of advice to her grandson, Hong Kong Kee: "If someone wants to hurt you, keep him off balance. Make him take the first step toward you, for then you can watch him coming and take precautions." Discuss how this advice applies to decisions that Nyuk Tsin has made during her long life.
Essay Topic 3
Cultures and ethnic groups that are thrown together geographically have two basic choices: they can clash or they can blend. Show examples of each from HAWAII.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)