|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After three years in Hawaii, what task is Abner still trying to complete?
2. What is the primary setting of Chapter 2?
3. Who helps Jerusha when her first child, a son, is born?
4. How far below the surface did fissures form?
5. How many miles does the group have to sail to reach their new home?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the wife of missionary Abraham Hewlett goes into labor, Abner must deliver the baby. He consults his book on midwifery but won't gather the herbs that the Hawaiian women say that Mrs. Hewlett will need after the birth. What happens as a result?
2. What do the king and his brother, Teroro, argue bitterly about, when the time comes to build the first temple on their new island, and what compromise do they reach?
3. What happened, millions of years ago, when a rupture occurred on the ocean floor?
4. Teroro is King Tamatoa's brother. Is he loyal to the king or loyal to the high priest? How can you tell?
5. Is the formation of a new island a quick process? Why or why not?
6. What dangerous message does Teroro receive from Tehani, the fourteen-year-old girl who takes him to her sleeping quarters after the convocation?
7. How well do King Tamatoa and the high priest get along, and why do you think so?
8. What is Abner's reaction when the crew of a docked whaling ship go on a rampage through the settlement, sacking the homes of Hawaiians and raping their women?
9. By the time the island emerged again and developed into a lush paradise of unique foliage, ready for discovery, what was the one thing lacking that human explorers would need?
10. Since a new island is made of bare rock, where its soil come from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast how well or poorly the following characters dealt with change, during their lifetimes: (a) Abner Hale; (b) Nyuk Tsin; and (c) Kamejiro Sakagawa.
Essay Topic 2
What might have happened differently if all of the missionaries who initially came to Hawaii had been like Abner Hale? What might have happened differently if they had all been like John Whipple?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast King Tamatoa of Bora Bora and his brother, Teroro. Explore the positive and negative traits of both men. Which of them do you find more admirable, and why? Please illustrate your reasons with specific examples and information from Chapter 2.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)