|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many letters are there in Hawaiian alphabet?
2. How do the other missionaries on the voyage to Hawaii feel about Abner?
3. When Malama dies, what keepsake does Kelolo claim?
4. When the island king attends the temple ceremony, what is displayed there?
5. What announcement does Jerusha make when she reaches Hawaii?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the voyage go, and what good and/or bad omens do the travelers encounter?
2. By the time the island emerged again and developed into a lush paradise of unique foliage, ready for discovery, what was the one thing lacking that human explorers would need?
3. Malama wants to study how to read and write in English. Abner Hale wants her to learn about God first. How is this impasse resolved?
4. What were likely to be the earliest living creatures to visit the newly formed island in Chapter 1?
5. Once an island finally reaches the ocean's surface, is its presence there permanent? Why or why not?
6. In Chapter 3, why does the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions (ABCFM) insist that Abner Hale get married before he is allowed to sail to Hawaii as a missionary?
7. Nine years later, Abner is delighted to learn that his oldest son, Micah, is returning to Hawaii as a minister. But when he meets the ship, he learns that Micah has married the daughter of Neolani (and granddaughter of the old Alii-Nui, Malama). How does Abner react to this news?
8. How does Abner Hale react when he is told that Hawaiians, including their Alii Nui (queen), Malama, practice polygamy, and that the rocks in the garden are family gods?
9. When the wife of missionary Abraham Hewlett goes into labor, Abner must deliver the baby. He consults his book on midwifery but won't gather the herbs that the Hawaiian women say that Mrs. Hewlett will need after the birth. What happens as a result?
10. How could new plants and life forms reach an island as isolated as the one described in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the geographic isolation of Hawaii affect its history, from the time of King Tamatoa's arrival in the 9th century through its annexation by the United States in 1898?
Essay Topic 2
What were the good and bad points about the actions and decisions taken by the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions (ABCFM) with regard to the mission work carried out in Hawaii? How might the fate of the island have been affected if no missionaries had come to Hawaii at all?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the relationship shared by each of the following couples:
(a) Abner Hale and his wife Jerusha;
(b) Mun Ki and his wife Nyuk Tsin; and
(c) Malama (the Alii Nui) and her husband Kelolo
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)