|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Micah Hale think that America will try to take over Hawaii?
(a) For diamonds.
(b) For sugar.
(c) For gold.
(d) For oil.
2. How many children do Kamejiro and his wife eventually have?
(a) 9 children--8 boys and 1 girl.
(b) 2 children--a boy and a girl.
(c) 6 children--3 sets of twins.
(d) 5 children--4 boys and 1 girl.
3. What is the relationship between Kee Chun Fat (who made his fortune in the California gold fields) and Mun Ki (who works as a cook in a brothel in Macao)?
(a) They are uncle and nephew.
(b) They are father and son.
(c) They are strangers.
(d) They are brothers.
4. Most of Char Nyuk Tsin's great-great-grandchildren do not know her real name. How do they refer to her?
(a) Venerable Grandmother.
(b) Oldest Ancestor.
(c) Wu Chow's Auntie.
(d) Missie Kee.
5. What advice does 94-year-old Char Nyuk Tsin give to her grandson, Hong Kong Kee, after the events of December 7, 1941?
(a) To buy all the land they can.
(b) To sell all the land they can.
(c) To do no more buying and selling until events calm down.
(d) None of the given answers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the death rate at the Molokai leper colony when Mun Ki arrives?
2. What other crop does Whip Hoxworth introduce to Hawaii?
3. Char Nyuk Tsin (also known as Wu Chow's Auntie) is 61 years old in 1912. How many descendants does she have in her extended family, the Kees?
4. What are Char Nyuk Tsin and Mun Ki's sons named after?
5. What does Char Nyuk Tsin do with the first acre of land that is given to her in Hawaii?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)