|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kamejiro Sakagawa do in 1952?
(a) He applies for U.S. citizenship.
(b) He refuses to return to Japan.
(c) He refuses to apply for U.S. citizenship.
(d) He votes for his son, Shigeo, who is running for senator.
2. Who treats the Chinese workers kindly on their voyage from China to Hawaii?
(c) John Whipple.
(d) Captain Hoxworth.
3. What best describes the stores owned and operated by Char Nyuk Tsin and her family, the Kees?
(a) The stores are dirty and the prices are high.
(b) The stores are clean but the prices are high.
(c) The stores are clean and the prices are fair.
(d) The stores are dirty but the prices are low.
4. Kelly Kanakoa is attracted to Elinor Henderson. Which of the following statements about Elinor is true?
(a) She is a graduate of Smith College.
(b) She is an orphan.
(c) She is illiterate but beautiful.
(d) She is deaf.
5. In 1946, the term "the Golden Men" is coined to describe a certain kind of person developing in Hawaii. Which of the following is NOT necessarily an attribute of a "Golden Man"?
(a) A blend of modern and ancient sensibilities.
(b) A blend of Western and Eastern culture and values.
(c) A blend of business and philosophy.
(d) A blend of Caucasian and Asian genes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other crop does Whip Hoxworth introduce to Hawaii?
2. How does the leper colony change after Big Saul dies?
3. What is the relationship between Kee Chun Fat (who made his fortune in the California gold fields) and Mun Ki (who works as a cook in a brothel in Macao)?
4. What does Whip Hoxworth believe is the future of Hawaii?
5. What action does the Kee family undertake because of what Char Nyuk Tsin learns from the newspaper about company values?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)