|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What early life forms can the ocean bring to an island?
(c) None of the given answers.
(d) Both of the given answers.
2. How many letters are there in Hawaiian alphabet?
3. What is trapped in the rocks because of how they are formed?
4. How deeply was the island submerged?
(a) Twelve inches.
(b) Twelve dozen feet.
(c) Twelve hundred feet.
(d) Twelve feet.
5. What happens after Abner delivers Urania Hewlett's baby?
(a) Urania names the baby "Abner."
(b) Urania dies.
(c) Malama throws a party for Urania.
(d) The baby dies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Teroro's wife?
2. What is lava?
3. Who or what is Wait-for-the-West-Wind?
4. How many miles does the group have to sail to reach their new home?
5. When the second chain of islands formed in the southeast, how long was it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the king and his brother, Teroro, argue bitterly about, when the time comes to build the first temple on their new island, and what compromise do they reach?
2. What does James Michener think of the civilization that existed on the island of Bora Bora at the time that we first see the villagers in Chapter 2?
3. What does King Tamatoa plan to do about his conflict with the powerful and dangerous high priest?
4. Once the king and his followers settle at their new village site, they make many important decisions about their future. Pick one and discuss it briefly.
5. What happened, millions of years ago, when a rupture occurred on the ocean floor?
6. Teroro is King Tamatoa's brother. Is he loyal to the king or loyal to the high priest? How can you tell?
7. Once an island finally reaches the ocean's surface, is its presence there permanent? Why or why not?
8. How could new plants and life forms reach an island as isolated as the one described in Chapter 1?
9. The six-month ocean voyage to Hawaii is a rough test of endurance. How does Abner Hale respond to this challenge?
10. Three years after Mrs. Hewlett's death, Mr. Hewlett marries a Hawaiian girl. How do the ABCFM and the local missionary community react to this news?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)