|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an accurate description of the earliest beaches?
(a) Rock covered by sand dunes.
(b) Rock covered by small bushes.
(c) Sand covered by tall trees.
(d) Bare rock with no sand.
2. The island king avoids the celebration after the ceremony, and instead goes home with 14-year-old Tehani. Who is Tehani's father?
(a) The high priest.
(d) King Tatai.
3. What task is assigned to the missionaries?
(a) To translate the Bible into Hawaiian.
(b) To learn how to surf.
(c) To teach Latin to the natives.
(d) To teach the natives how to grow tobacco.
4. What threatens to destroy the city of Hilo?
(a) A warship from Bora Bora.
(b) A flock of angry seagulls.
(c) A flow of molten lava.
(d) A native uprising.
5. What is the name of Teroro's wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the island king attends the temple ceremony, what is displayed there?
2. What is a submerged island called when it reaches the ocean's surface?
3. In 1825, how much do the missionaries earn per year?
4. When Jesus and Mohammed were alive, what stage were the islands at?
5. Who or what is Wait-for-the-West-Wind?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dangerous message does Teroro receive from Tehani, the fourteen-year-old girl who takes him to her sleeping quarters after the convocation?
2. What were likely to be the earliest living creatures to visit the newly formed island in Chapter 1?
3. Three years after Mrs. Hewlett's death, Mr. Hewlett marries a Hawaiian girl. How do the ABCFM and the local missionary community react to this news?
4. How well do King Tamatoa and the high priest get along, and why do you think so?
5. Nine years later, Abner is delighted to learn that his oldest son, Micah, is returning to Hawaii as a minister. But when he meets the ship, he learns that Micah has married the daughter of Neolani (and granddaughter of the old Alii-Nui, Malama). How does Abner react to this news?
6. What does King Tamatoa plan to do about his conflict with the powerful and dangerous high priest?
7. What are the earliest life forms that an island can support, once it has formed soil?
8. Once the king and his followers settle at their new village site, they make many important decisions about their future. Pick one and discuss it briefly.
9. How does the voyage go, and what good and/or bad omens do the travelers encounter?
10. Teroro is King Tamatoa's brother. Is he loyal to the king or loyal to the high priest? How can you tell?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)