|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the island king?
2. What god was the island chief's father sacrificed to appease?
3. What god do the island king and his people worship, to the high priest's displeasure?
4. When Abner's oldest son married Noelani's daughter, how does Abner react?
(a) He confesses that he wanted to marry her, himself.
(b) He burns down their new house.
(c) He welcomes her into the family.
(d) He is rude to her and calls her a heathen.
5. How does Malama, the royal Anii-Nui, treat the missionaries when they arrive in Hawaii?
(a) She asks them to teach her to read and write English.
(b) All of the given answers.
(c) She decides to dress like the missionaries.
(d) She greets them warmly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What body of water serves as the setting for the opening section?
2. What are the Seven Little Eyes?
3. Who is the volcano goddess?
4. What beneficial things may have reached the island by being caught up in the wind?
5. How many letters are there in Hawaiian alphabet?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what natural feature does author James Michener describe as dwarfing all others on Earth, and why?
2. Since a new island is made of bare rock, where its soil come from?
3. When the wife of missionary Abraham Hewlett goes into labor, Abner must deliver the baby. He consults his book on midwifery but won't gather the herbs that the Hawaiian women say that Mrs. Hewlett will need after the birth. What happens as a result?
4. What dangerous message does Teroro receive from Tehani, the fourteen-year-old girl who takes him to her sleeping quarters after the convocation?
5. What does James Michener think of the civilization that existed on the island of Bora Bora at the time that we first see the villagers in Chapter 2?
6. Is the formation of a new island a quick process? Why or why not?
7. Teroro is King Tamatoa's brother. Is he loyal to the king or loyal to the high priest? How can you tell?
8. Malama wants to study how to read and write in English. Abner Hale wants her to learn about God first. How is this impasse resolved?
9. Abner and his wife, Jerusha, had four children. When Jerusha dies, what becomes of their children?
10. What happened, millions of years ago, when a rupture occurred on the ocean floor?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)