|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes lava rock to decompose?
(a) All of the above.
(d) Changes in temperature.
2. What is the name of the newest god and the island of the gods?
3. What good omen appears during the voyage?
(a) A flying fish.
(b) Another ship.
(c) A mermaid.
(d) A new star.
4. When Malama dies, what keepsake does Kelolo claim?
(a) Her skull.
(b) Her portrait.
(c) Her pet parrot.
(d) Her bracelet.
5. In 1825, how much do the missionaries earn per year?
(a) Two thousand dollars per year.
(b) Two hundred dollars per year.
(c) Twenty dollars per year.
(d) They receive no salary at all.
Short Answer Questions
1. What living creatures are likely to discover a new island?
2. When Jesus and Mohammed were alive, what stage were the islands at?
3. What does decomposed lava rock create?
4. How does Abner meet John Whipple?
5. What is an accurate description of the earliest beaches?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the voyage go, and what good and/or bad omens do the travelers encounter?
2. What does James Michener think of the civilization that existed on the island of Bora Bora at the time that we first see the villagers in Chapter 2?
3. The six-month ocean voyage to Hawaii is a rough test of endurance. How does Abner Hale respond to this challenge?
4. Teroro is King Tamatoa's brother. Is he loyal to the king or loyal to the high priest? How can you tell?
5. How could new plants and life forms reach an island as isolated as the one described in Chapter 1?
6. In Chapter 1, what natural feature does author James Michener describe as dwarfing all others on Earth, and why?
7. Is the formation of a new island a quick process? Why or why not?
8. What are the earliest life forms that an island can support, once it has formed soil?
9. How well do King Tamatoa and the high priest get along, and why do you think so?
10. What happened, millions of years ago, when a rupture occurred on the ocean floor?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)