|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What god was the island chief's father sacrificed to appease?
2. How far below the surface did fissures form?
(a) Four feet down.
(b) Forty miles down.
(c) Four miles down.
(d) Four yards down.
3. Learning that the high priest plans to betray the island king, the king and his followers plan to escape by sailing in what direction?
4. What good omen appears during the voyage?
(a) Another ship.
(b) A new star.
(c) A mermaid.
(d) A flying fish.
5. Who or what is Wait-for-the-West-Wind?
(a) A god.
(b) A ship.
(c) A girl.
(d) A village.
Short Answer Questions
1. What world leader's death is mentioned as occurring around the time period described in Chapter 2?
2. Who does Noelani, Malama's royal daughter, marry?
3. When a slave woman weeps because her husband is going to be sacrificed, what happens?
4. When Malama dies, what keepsake does Kelolo claim?
5. What is lava?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once an island finally reaches the ocean's surface, is its presence there permanent? Why or why not?
2. What happens to the first new village site the king and his followers choose, and is what happens good or bad?
3. In Chapter 3, why does the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions (ABCFM) insist that Abner Hale get married before he is allowed to sail to Hawaii as a missionary?
4. Abner and his wife, Jerusha, had four children. When Jerusha dies, what becomes of their children?
5. Malama wants to study how to read and write in English. Abner Hale wants her to learn about God first. How is this impasse resolved?
6. The Alii Nui, Malama, dies, and her daughter Neolani becomes the new Alii Nui in her place. What is Malama's dying wish, and do Malama's family members and Abner honor it?
7. In Chapter 1, what natural feature does author James Michener describe as dwarfing all others on Earth, and why?
8. What were likely to be the earliest living creatures to visit the newly formed island in Chapter 1?
9. Once the king and his followers settle at their new village site, they make many important decisions about their future. Pick one and discuss it briefly.
10. What hard emotional choice much Teroro make, when it is time for the group to sail north?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)