|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The island king avoids the celebration after the ceremony, and instead goes home with 14-year-old Tehani. Who is Tehani's father?
(a) King Tatai.
(c) The high priest.
2. After nine years in Hawaii, how many children do Abner and Jerusha have?
3. Who helps Jerusha when her first child, a son, is born?
(b) A Hawaiian midwife.
(c) John Whipple.
4. What are the Seven Little Eyes?
(a) Followers of the high priest.
(d) A chain of islands.
5. Who is the volcano goddess?
Short Answer Questions
1. What series of natural phenomena are described as the cause of events in the opening section?
2. How many miles does the group have to sail to reach their new home?
3. When Malama dies, what keepsake does Kelolo claim?
4. When the island submerged again, what formed around it?
5. At the time of their journey, seven centuries before Columbus, what people had sailed the farthest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the formation of a new island a quick process? Why or why not?
2. Nine years later, Abner is delighted to learn that his oldest son, Micah, is returning to Hawaii as a minister. But when he meets the ship, he learns that Micah has married the daughter of Neolani (and granddaughter of the old Alii-Nui, Malama). How does Abner react to this news?
3. After the island in Chapter 1 was fully formed, the earth shifted, sinking it under 1,200 feet of water again for millions of years. What new feature formed around the island during that time?
4. What does King Tamatoa plan to do about his conflict with the powerful and dangerous high priest?
5. What hard emotional choice much Teroro make, when it is time for the group to sail north?
6. Malama wants to study how to read and write in English. Abner Hale wants her to learn about God first. How is this impasse resolved?
7. Since a new island is made of bare rock, where its soil come from?
8. What is Abner's reaction when the crew of a docked whaling ship go on a rampage through the settlement, sacking the homes of Hawaiians and raping their women?
9. What were likely to be the earliest living creatures to visit the newly formed island in Chapter 1?
10. How does Abner Hale react when he is told that Hawaiians, including their Alii Nui (queen), Malama, practice polygamy, and that the rocks in the garden are family gods?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)