|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two kinds of animals does the island king plan to take along on the escape voyage to use for meat?
(a) Chickens and dogs.
(b) Goats and sheep.
(c) Pigeons and chickens.
(d) Lambs and pigs.
2. When Jesus and Mohammed were alive, what stage were the islands at?
(a) Completely formed.
(c) Still forming.
(d) Not even begun.
3. When the island submerged again, what formed around it?
(a) A rainbow.
(b) A coral reef.
(c) A whirlpool.
(d) A harbor.
4. What word best describes the foliage on the island at the end of Chapter 1?
5. What announcement does Jerusha make when she reaches Hawaii?
(a) She is going blind.
(b) She is allergic to coconuts.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She wants to be an actress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What world leader's death is mentioned as occurring around the time period described in Chapter 2?
2. What would the island paradise lack, when it was finally discovered by people?
3. What is an accurate description of the earliest beaches?
4. What is trapped in the rocks because of how they are formed?
5. During the voyage from New England to Hawaii, how many people must share each small cabin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the voyage go, and what good and/or bad omens do the travelers encounter?
2. What dangerous message does Teroro receive from Tehani, the fourteen-year-old girl who takes him to her sleeping quarters after the convocation?
3. Once an island finally reaches the ocean's surface, is its presence there permanent? Why or why not?
4. When the wife of missionary Abraham Hewlett goes into labor, Abner must deliver the baby. He consults his book on midwifery but won't gather the herbs that the Hawaiian women say that Mrs. Hewlett will need after the birth. What happens as a result?
5. What does King Tamatoa plan to do about his conflict with the powerful and dangerous high priest?
6. What hard emotional choice much Teroro make, when it is time for the group to sail north?
7. Is the formation of a new island a quick process? Why or why not?
8. Malama wants to study how to read and write in English. Abner Hale wants her to learn about God first. How is this impasse resolved?
9. What were likely to be the earliest living creatures to visit the newly formed island in Chapter 1?
10. The six-month ocean voyage to Hawaii is a rough test of endurance. How does Abner Hale respond to this challenge?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)