|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What god was the island chief's father sacrificed to appease?
2. Who does Noelani, Malama's royal daughter, marry?
(a) John Whipple.
(b) Abner Hale.
(c) Abraham Hewlett.
(d) Keoki Kanakoa.
3. What is one reason that the sailors sail back to their original island during Chapter 2?
(a) To give up and go home.
(b) To hunt for birds.
(c) To reunite Teroro with Marama.
(d) To attack their former village.
4. When the island submerged, what formed over it?
(a) An arch.
(d) A tide pool.
5. Abner condemns the Hawaiian practice of polygamy. What is polygamy?
(a) Public drunkness.
(c) Worshipping false gods.
(d) Being married to more than one person at a time.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did trees first begin to grow on the island?
2. What announcement does Jerusha make when she reaches Hawaii?
3. After three years in Hawaii, what task is Abner still trying to complete?
4. What god do the island king and his people worship, to the high priest's displeasure?
5. What is the name of the newest god and the island of the gods?
Short Essay Questions
1. Teroro is King Tamatoa's brother. Is he loyal to the king or loyal to the high priest? How can you tell?
2. Is the formation of a new island a quick process? Why or why not?
3. After the island in Chapter 1 was fully formed, the earth shifted, sinking it under 1,200 feet of water again for millions of years. What new feature formed around the island during that time?
4. Abner and his wife, Jerusha, had four children. When Jerusha dies, what becomes of their children?
5. What dangerous message does Teroro receive from Tehani, the fourteen-year-old girl who takes him to her sleeping quarters after the convocation?
6. What were likely to be the earliest living creatures to visit the newly formed island in Chapter 1?
7. When the wife of missionary Abraham Hewlett goes into labor, Abner must deliver the baby. He consults his book on midwifery but won't gather the herbs that the Hawaiian women say that Mrs. Hewlett will need after the birth. What happens as a result?
8. What is Abner's reaction when the crew of a docked whaling ship go on a rampage through the settlement, sacking the homes of Hawaiians and raping their women?
9. Three years after Mrs. Hewlett's death, Mr. Hewlett marries a Hawaiian girl. How do the ABCFM and the local missionary community react to this news?
10. What happens to the first new village site the king and his followers choose, and is what happens good or bad?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)