|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The island king avoids the celebration after the ceremony, and instead goes home with 14-year-old Tehani. Who is Tehani's father?
(a) King Tatai.
(c) The high priest.
2. What living creatures are likely to discover a new island?
(a) Fish and birds.
(b) Bears and monkeys.
(c) Lions and tigers.
(d) Dogs and cats.
3. Who is challenging the island king for power?
(a) His son.
(b) His brother.
(c) The queen of a nearby island.
(d) The high priest.
4. During the voyage, what does it mean when the sailors spot flocks of birds catching fish?
(a) That the voyage is doomed.
(b) That land is near.
(c) That sunset is near.
(d) That a storm is coming.
5. What does decomposed lava rock create?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is true about the body of water in Chapter 1?
2. At the end of Chapter 1, what best describes the island?
3. How did trees first begin to grow on the island?
4. When the island king attends the temple ceremony, what is displayed there?
5. What convinces Abner to become a missionary and go to Hawaii?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what natural feature does author James Michener describe as dwarfing all others on Earth, and why?
2. What dangerous message does Teroro receive from Tehani, the fourteen-year-old girl who takes him to her sleeping quarters after the convocation?
3. What is Abner's reaction when the crew of a docked whaling ship go on a rampage through the settlement, sacking the homes of Hawaiians and raping their women?
4. How does Abner Hale react when he is told that Hawaiians, including their Alii Nui (queen), Malama, practice polygamy, and that the rocks in the garden are family gods?
5. How well do King Tamatoa and the high priest get along, and why do you think so?
6. Teroro is King Tamatoa's brother. Is he loyal to the king or loyal to the high priest? How can you tell?
7. The six-month ocean voyage to Hawaii is a rough test of endurance. How does Abner Hale respond to this challenge?
8. The Alii Nui, Malama, dies, and her daughter Neolani becomes the new Alii Nui in her place. What is Malama's dying wish, and do Malama's family members and Abner honor it?
9. Malama wants to study how to read and write in English. Abner Hale wants her to learn about God first. How is this impasse resolved?
10. What are the earliest life forms that an island can support, once it has formed soil?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)