|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Malama dies, what keepsake does Kelolo claim?
(a) Her skull.
(b) Her portrait.
(c) Her pet parrot.
(d) Her bracelet.
2. What time span is covered in Chapter 1?
(a) A century.
(b) A week.
(c) Millions of years.
(d) Ten years.
3. What does decomposed lava rock create?
4. What bad omen does the island king experience before he sails away?
(a) A fire that won't start.
(b) A broken bone.
(c) A bad dream.
(d) A cloud shaped like a fist.
5. What is an accurate description of the earliest body of water?
(a) Partly cold with some ice.
(b) Calm and stagnant.
(c) Completely frozen.
(d) Completely warm and tropical.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Kelolo teaches Hawaiian history to Abner, how many generations does he say have been born since the original founding journey from Bora Bora?
2. When the island submerged again, what formed around it?
3. What happens after Abner delivers Urania Hewlett's baby?
4. What does John Whipple do for the community after he leaves missionary work?
5. What percent of Lahaina's population dies in the measles epidemic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once an island finally reaches the ocean's surface, is its presence there permanent? Why or why not?
2. How does Abner Hale react when he is told that Hawaiians, including their Alii Nui (queen), Malama, practice polygamy, and that the rocks in the garden are family gods?
3. Teroro is King Tamatoa's brother. Is he loyal to the king or loyal to the high priest? How can you tell?
4. How does the voyage go, and what good and/or bad omens do the travelers encounter?
5. Is the formation of a new island a quick process? Why or why not?
6. What happens to the first new village site the king and his followers choose, and is what happens good or bad?
7. What are the earliest life forms that an island can support, once it has formed soil?
8. How well do King Tamatoa and the high priest get along, and why do you think so?
9. Nine years later, Abner is delighted to learn that his oldest son, Micah, is returning to Hawaii as a minister. But when he meets the ship, he learns that Micah has married the daughter of Neolani (and granddaughter of the old Alii-Nui, Malama). How does Abner react to this news?
10. The six-month ocean voyage to Hawaii is a rough test of endurance. How does Abner Hale respond to this challenge?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)