|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What threatens to destroy the city of Hilo?
(a) A native uprising.
(b) A warship from Bora Bora.
(c) A flock of angry seagulls.
(d) A flow of molten lava.
2. How deeply was the island submerged?
(a) Twelve dozen feet.
(b) Twelve inches.
(c) Twelve feet.
(d) Twelve hundred feet.
3. What is trapped in the rocks because of how they are formed?
4. What living creatures are likely to discover a new island?
(a) Fish and birds.
(b) Dogs and cats.
(c) Bears and monkeys.
(d) Lions and tigers.
5. What are the Seven Little Eyes?
(b) Followers of the high priest.
(d) A chain of islands.
Short Answer Questions
1. After nine years in Hawaii, how many children do Abner and Jerusha have?
2. At the end of Chapter 1, what best describes the island?
3. How far below the surface did fissures form?
4. What is the name of Teroro's wife?
5. How many miles does the group have to sail to reach their new home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does James Michener think of the civilization that existed on the island of Bora Bora at the time that we first see the villagers in Chapter 2?
2. Nine years later, Abner is delighted to learn that his oldest son, Micah, is returning to Hawaii as a minister. But when he meets the ship, he learns that Micah has married the daughter of Neolani (and granddaughter of the old Alii-Nui, Malama). How does Abner react to this news?
3. In Chapter 3, why does the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions (ABCFM) insist that Abner Hale get married before he is allowed to sail to Hawaii as a missionary?
4. Once an island finally reaches the ocean's surface, is its presence there permanent? Why or why not?
5. How does Abner Hale react when he is told that Hawaiians, including their Alii Nui (queen), Malama, practice polygamy, and that the rocks in the garden are family gods?
6. Once the king and his followers settle at their new village site, they make many important decisions about their future. Pick one and discuss it briefly.
7. What were likely to be the earliest living creatures to visit the newly formed island in Chapter 1?
8. Three years after Mrs. Hewlett's death, Mr. Hewlett marries a Hawaiian girl. How do the ABCFM and the local missionary community react to this news?
9. What hard emotional choice much Teroro make, when it is time for the group to sail north?
10. How does the voyage go, and what good and/or bad omens do the travelers encounter?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)