|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What good omen appears during the voyage?
(a) Another ship.
(b) A flying fish.
(c) A mermaid.
(d) A new star.
2. What time span is covered in Chapter 1?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Millions of years.
(c) A century.
(d) A week.
3. What beneficial things may have reached the island by being caught up in the wind?
4. The island king avoids the celebration after the ceremony, and instead goes home with 14-year-old Tehani. Who is Tehani's father?
(a) The high priest.
(b) King Tatai.
5. How does Malama, the royal Anii-Nui, treat the missionaries when they arrive in Hawaii?
(a) All of the given answers.
(b) She decides to dress like the missionaries.
(c) She greets them warmly.
(d) She asks them to teach her to read and write English.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is challenging the island king for power?
2. What is the primary setting of Chapter 2?
3. When the island king attends the temple ceremony, what is displayed there?
4. What is one reason that the sailors sail back to their original island during Chapter 2?
5. After much argument, what is sacrificed when the island king and his people build a temple at their new home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the king and his brother, Teroro, argue bitterly about, when the time comes to build the first temple on their new island, and what compromise do they reach?
2. How well do King Tamatoa and the high priest get along, and why do you think so?
3. Abner and his wife, Jerusha, had four children. When Jerusha dies, what becomes of their children?
4. What are the earliest life forms that an island can support, once it has formed soil?
5. What happened, millions of years ago, when a rupture occurred on the ocean floor?
6. How does Abner Hale react when he is told that Hawaiians, including their Alii Nui (queen), Malama, practice polygamy, and that the rocks in the garden are family gods?
7. After the island in Chapter 1 was fully formed, the earth shifted, sinking it under 1,200 feet of water again for millions of years. What new feature formed around the island during that time?
8. What were likely to be the earliest living creatures to visit the newly formed island in Chapter 1?
9. By the time the island emerged again and developed into a lush paradise of unique foliage, ready for discovery, what was the one thing lacking that human explorers would need?
10. What is Abner's reaction when the crew of a docked whaling ship go on a rampage through the settlement, sacking the homes of Hawaiians and raping their women?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)