Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the island king attends the temple ceremony, what is displayed there?
(a) Offerings of food.
(b) Piles of gold bars.
(c) A stack of dead bodies.
(d) Baskets of flowers.
2. Why does Abner preach the first Sunday service on the voyage to Hawaii?
(a) He is the only missionary who isn't seasick.
(b) He was tricked into preaching.
(c) He bribed the captain to let him preach first.
(d) He is the oldest missionary.
3. What percent of Lahaina's population dies in the measles epidemic?
4. What two kinds of animals does the island king plan to take along on the escape voyage to use for meat?
(a) Lambs and pigs.
(b) Pigeons and chickens.
(c) Goats and sheep.
(d) Chickens and dogs.
5. What world leader's death is mentioned as occurring around the time period described in Chapter 2?
(a) Queen Elizabeth.
(c) George Washington.
(d) Napoleon Bonaparte.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time span is covered in Chapter 1?
2. The island king plans to take supplies and sixty people with him when he escapes, and sail with them for how many days?
3. Who is challenging the island king for power?
4. What body of water serves as the setting for the opening section?
5. What relation is Teroro to the island king?
Short Essay Questions
1. Kee Chun Fat, who made his money in the California gold fields, tells his nephew, Mun Ki, what a Chinese must do in order to succeed in America. What is his advice?
2. Later in 1946, in the Japanese city of Yokahama, what does Shigeo notice about the involvement of women in the city's clean-up effort, and why does it seem unfair?
3. What does James Michener think of the civilization that existed on the island of Bora Bora at the time that we first see the villagers in Chapter 2?
4. Once an island finally reaches the ocean's surface, is its presence there permanent? Why or why not?
5. What happens to the first new village site the king and his followers choose, and is what happens good or bad?
6. What were likely to be the earliest living creatures to visit the newly formed island in Chapter 1?
7. How well do King Tamatoa and the high priest get along, and why do you think so?
8. What are the earliest life forms that an island can support, once it has formed soil?
9. What is Abner's reaction when the crew of a docked whaling ship go on a rampage through the settlement, sacking the homes of Hawaiians and raping their women?
10. In Japan in 1902, twenty-year-old Sakagawa Kamejiro is sent by his family council to work in the Hawaii sugar fields. Why does he agree to leave his homeland and take this job?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)