|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many letters are there in Hawaiian alphabet?
2. What is the name of Teroro's wife?
3. What relation is Teroro to the island king?
(a) His son.
(b) His enemy.
(c) His brother.
(d) His neighbor.
4. What beneficial things may have reached the island by being caught up in the wind?
5. After much argument, what is sacrificed when the island king and his people build a temple at their new home?
(a) One slave.
(c) Four slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what subject does Abner Hale study at Yale University?
2. When Kelolo teaches Hawaiian history to Abner, how many generations does he say have been born since the original founding journey from Bora Bora?
3. What is trapped in the rocks because of how they are formed?
4. What two ways does John Whipple plan to serve God?
5. The island king plans to take supplies and sixty people with him when he escapes, and sail with them for how many days?
Short Essay Questions
1. Identify who "the Celestials" are, and name at least one term of their employment.
2. When Shigeo Sakagawa is sent by the U.S. Army to serve in Japan in 1946, his mother urges him to try to marry a girl from the area around Hiroshima. What major historical event of World War II is she ignoring when she gives him this advice?
3. What were likely to be the earliest living creatures to visit the newly formed island in Chapter 1?
4. In 1952, as soon as 106-year-old Nyuk Tsin hears that it is legal for an Asian to become a U.S. citizen, she tries to learn to read and write so that she can pass the test. When she can't meet that requirement, what compromise is reached?
5. Once the king and his followers settle at their new village site, they make many important decisions about their future. Pick one and discuss it briefly.
6. In Chapter 3, why does the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions (ABCFM) insist that Abner Hale get married before he is allowed to sail to Hawaii as a missionary?
7. What are the earliest life forms that an island can support, once it has formed soil?
8. Author James Michener states that the Hakka villagers are "Chinese to the core and steeped in Chinese lore," and yet they refuse to follow the Chinese tradition of foot binding. Why?
9. Army captain Shigeo Sakagawa marches in a victory parade in Honolulu in 1946, but the occasion is a bittersweet one for him. He and his country have won the war, but Shigeo has suffered a great personal loss. What is it?
10. Since a new island is made of bare rock, where its soil come from?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)