|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What god do the island king and his people worship, to the high priest's displeasure?
2. What good omen appears during the voyage?
(a) Another ship.
(b) A new star.
(c) A mermaid.
(d) A flying fish.
3. What two ways does John Whipple plan to serve God?
(a) As missionary and cook.
(b) As missionary and sailor.
(c) As cook and doctor.
(d) As doctor and missionary.
4. The island king plans to take supplies and sixty people with him when he escapes, and sail with them for how many days?
(a) Six hundred.
5. What is the name of the island king?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many miles does the group have to sail to reach their new home?
2. Why does Abner Hale marry Jerusha Bromley?
3. When the second chain of islands formed in the southeast, how long was it?
4. Who is Kelolo?
5. What god was the island chief's father sacrificed to appease?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened, millions of years ago, when a rupture occurred on the ocean floor?
2. Malama wants to study how to read and write in English. Abner Hale wants her to learn about God first. How is this impasse resolved?
3. Three years after Mrs. Hewlett's death, Mr. Hewlett marries a Hawaiian girl. How do the ABCFM and the local missionary community react to this news?
4. Once the king and his followers settle at their new village site, they make many important decisions about their future. Pick one and discuss it briefly.
5. How does the voyage go, and what good and/or bad omens do the travelers encounter?
6. What does King Tamatoa plan to do about his conflict with the powerful and dangerous high priest?
7. Is the formation of a new island a quick process? Why or why not?
8. What happens to the first new village site the king and his followers choose, and is what happens good or bad?
9. Abner and his wife, Jerusha, had four children. When Jerusha dies, what becomes of their children?
10. What were likely to be the earliest living creatures to visit the newly formed island in Chapter 1?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)