|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What series of natural phenomena are described as the cause of events in the opening section?
(a) Volcanic eruptions.
2. What are the Seven Little Eyes?
(a) Followers of the high priest.
(c) A chain of islands.
3. How deeply was the island submerged?
(a) Twelve feet.
(b) Twelve dozen feet.
(c) Twelve hundred feet.
(d) Twelve inches.
4. What body of water serves as the setting for the opening section?
(a) The Indian Ocean.
(b) The Atlantic Ocean.
(c) The Pacific Ocean.
(d) The Arctic Ocean.
5. Why does Abner preach the first Sunday service on the voyage to Hawaii?
(a) He is the oldest missionary.
(b) He is the only missionary who isn't seasick.
(c) He bribed the captain to let him preach first.
(d) He was tricked into preaching.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is lava?
2. How long will the sailing voyage from New England to Hawaii take?
3. What would the island paradise lack, when it was finally discovered by people?
4. What else does the island king plan to take along on the escape voyage?
5. When Malama dies, what keepsake does Kelolo claim?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Abner's reaction when the crew of a docked whaling ship go on a rampage through the settlement, sacking the homes of Hawaiians and raping their women?
2. Three years after Mrs. Hewlett's death, Mr. Hewlett marries a Hawaiian girl. How do the ABCFM and the local missionary community react to this news?
3. What happened, millions of years ago, when a rupture occurred on the ocean floor?
4. How does the voyage go, and what good and/or bad omens do the travelers encounter?
5. How well do King Tamatoa and the high priest get along, and why do you think so?
6. How could new plants and life forms reach an island as isolated as the one described in Chapter 1?
7. Nine years later, Abner is delighted to learn that his oldest son, Micah, is returning to Hawaii as a minister. But when he meets the ship, he learns that Micah has married the daughter of Neolani (and granddaughter of the old Alii-Nui, Malama). How does Abner react to this news?
8. Teroro is King Tamatoa's brother. Is he loyal to the king or loyal to the high priest? How can you tell?
9. In Chapter 3, why does the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions (ABCFM) insist that Abner Hale get married before he is allowed to sail to Hawaii as a missionary?
10. Malama wants to study how to read and write in English. Abner Hale wants her to learn about God first. How is this impasse resolved?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)