|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Teroro's wife?
2. After Jerusha dies, what happens to her children?
(a) They become ill and die.
(b) They all become missionaries.
(c) They go to live with relatives in America.
(d) They go to boarding school in Honolulu.
3. What early life forms can the ocean bring to an island?
(a) Both of the given answers.
(b) None of the given answers.
4. How deeply was the island submerged?
(a) Twelve feet.
(b) Twelve hundred feet.
(c) Twelve inches.
(d) Twelve dozen feet.
5. How does Abner meet John Whipple?
(a) John is Abner's cousin.
(b) John is Abner's roommate at Yale.
(c) John is Abner's minister.
(d) John is Abner's servant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What beneficial things may have reached the island by being caught up in the wind?
2. What threatens to destroy the city of Hilo?
3. What happens after Abner delivers Urania Hewlett's baby?
4. During the voyage, what does it mean when the sailors spot flocks of birds catching fish?
5. After three years in Hawaii, what task is Abner still trying to complete?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the king and his brother, Teroro, argue bitterly about, when the time comes to build the first temple on their new island, and what compromise do they reach?
2. Malama wants to study how to read and write in English. Abner Hale wants her to learn about God first. How is this impasse resolved?
3. How does the voyage go, and what good and/or bad omens do the travelers encounter?
4. By the time the island emerged again and developed into a lush paradise of unique foliage, ready for discovery, what was the one thing lacking that human explorers would need?
5. Since a new island is made of bare rock, where its soil come from?
6. Is the formation of a new island a quick process? Why or why not?
7. What does King Tamatoa plan to do about his conflict with the powerful and dangerous high priest?
8. What dangerous message does Teroro receive from Tehani, the fourteen-year-old girl who takes him to her sleeping quarters after the convocation?
9. Three years after Mrs. Hewlett's death, Mr. Hewlett marries a Hawaiian girl. How do the ABCFM and the local missionary community react to this news?
10. The six-month ocean voyage to Hawaii is a rough test of endurance. How does Abner Hale respond to this challenge?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)