|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What percent of Lahaina's population dies in the measles epidemic?
2. How does Malama, the royal Anii-Nui, treat the missionaries when they arrive in Hawaii?
(a) She asks them to teach her to read and write English.
(b) All of the given answers.
(c) She greets them warmly.
(d) She decides to dress like the missionaries.
3. The island king avoids the celebration after the ceremony, and instead goes home with 14-year-old Tehani. Who is Tehani's father?
(b) The high priest.
(d) King Tatai.
4. What would the island paradise lack, when it was finally discovered by people?
5. What causes lava rock to decompose?
(a) Changes in temperature.
(b) All of the above.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what island is a new temple being built for which the high priest requires the presence of the island king and his entourage?
2. What is an accurate description of the earliest body of water?
3. Once an island is formed, what can further eruptions cause?
4. What body of water serves as the setting for the opening section?
5. Who or what is Wait-for-the-West-Wind?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dangerous message does Teroro receive from Tehani, the fourteen-year-old girl who takes him to her sleeping quarters after the convocation?
2. The Alii Nui, Malama, dies, and her daughter Neolani becomes the new Alii Nui in her place. What is Malama's dying wish, and do Malama's family members and Abner honor it?
3. Abner and his wife, Jerusha, had four children. When Jerusha dies, what becomes of their children?
4. What were likely to be the earliest living creatures to visit the newly formed island in Chapter 1?
5. What does King Tamatoa plan to do about his conflict with the powerful and dangerous high priest?
6. Nine years later, Abner is delighted to learn that his oldest son, Micah, is returning to Hawaii as a minister. But when he meets the ship, he learns that Micah has married the daughter of Neolani (and granddaughter of the old Alii-Nui, Malama). How does Abner react to this news?
7. What happened, millions of years ago, when a rupture occurred on the ocean floor?
8. What is Abner's reaction when the crew of a docked whaling ship go on a rampage through the settlement, sacking the homes of Hawaiians and raping their women?
9. After the island in Chapter 1 was fully formed, the earth shifted, sinking it under 1,200 feet of water again for millions of years. What new feature formed around the island during that time?
10. How could new plants and life forms reach an island as isolated as the one described in Chapter 1?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)