|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mark Whipple offers to lead a unit of Japanese soldiers into battle in Europe against the Germans, how many Japanese men volunteer to join the new unit, known as the 222nd?
(a) About 11 men.
(b) About 11,000 men.
(c) About 110 men.
(d) About 1,100 men.
2. Who does Goro Sakagawa marry?
(a) Elinor Henderson.
(b) Malama Kanakoa.
(c) Judy Kee.
3. Char Nyuk Tsin has trouble meeting the requirements for U.S. citizenship. Why?
(a) All of the given answers.
(b) She is Chinese.
(c) She cannot read or write.
(d) She is too old.
4. What does Kamejiro Sakagawa do in 1952?
(a) He refuses to return to Japan.
(b) He votes for his son, Shigeo, who is running for senator.
(c) He refuses to apply for U.S. citizenship.
(d) He applies for U.S. citizenship.
5. Why doesn't Kamejiro pay for college for his youngest child, his daughter Reiko?
(a) He doesn't believe that girls need a college degree.
(b) He wants her to get married, not go to college.
(c) He spends the money supporting Japan's war against China.
(d) She is a poor student who isn't ready for college.
6. What happens to Elinor after she gets better acquainted with Kelly Kanakoa?
(a) She marries Kelly Kanakoa.
(b) She writes a best-selling book.
(c) She opens a popular restaurant in Honolulu.
(d) She dies in a tsunami.
7. What does Kelly Kanakoa do in the early 1950s?
(a) Teams up with Judy Kee to form Island Records.
(b) Both of the given answers.
(c) Teams up with Judy Kee to record an album.
(d) Neither of the given answers.
8. What does Whip Hoxworth bring from Formosa and ask Char Nyuk Tsin to plant?
(a) Pineapple plants.
9. When a revolution takes place in Hawaii, what does Queen Liliuokalani do about it?
(a) She sails to Bora Bora.
(b) She faints.
(c) She abdicates the throne.
(d) She shoots at her enemies.
10. The next time the Fort meets, what do its members discover?
(a) They have all bought losing properties from the Kees.
(b) They have all sold losing properties to the Kees.
(c) They have bought all of the Kees properties, good and bad.
(d) They have done no business with the Kees in months.
11. In 1902, in the Japanese village of Hiroshima-ken, villagers use an ancient courtship custom. According to this custom, what should a young suitor do regarding the young woman he wishes to court?
(a) Stand before her 12 times in one week without speaking.
(b) Send white flowers to her, every day for a month.
(c) Pay her parents for the privilege of courting her.
(d) Kidnap the girl he desires.
12. What action does the Kee family undertake because of what Char Nyuk Tsin learns from the newspaper about company values?
(a) They begin buying up losing properties from the Fort.
(b) They start selling all of their properties, good and bad, to the Fort.
(c) They begin buying up prosperous properties from the Fort.
(d) They stop buying and selling properties.
13. How long does the journey of Char Ti Chong and his people take?
(a) Many weeks.
(b) Many months.
(c) Many days.
(d) Many years.
14. Ishii becomes a representative for the Japanese Federation of Labor, trying to obtain better hours and better pay for the workers. When the workers go on strike, how do the planters and the Japanese Consulate react?
(a) Only the Japanese Consulate supports the workers.
(b) Both groups support the workers.
(c) Only the planters support the workers.
(d) Neither group supports the workers.
15. 20-year-old Sakagawa Kamejiro courts Yoko. Before he leaves for Hawaii, what does he tell his family he will do when he is ready to marry her?
(a) Send a special kimono to Yoko.
(b) Send twenty gold coins to his parents.
(c) Send a letter to Yoko.
(d) Send a letter to his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Most of Char Nyuk Tsin's great-great-grandchildren do not know her real name. How do they refer to her?
2. When Reiko's family's objection to the romance causes Lieutenant Jackson to be sent away, who does her family arrange for her to marry instead?
3. What happens to Shigeo's three brothers who also served in World War II?
4. When Army captain Shigeo Sakagawa, arrives in Hawaii in 1946 on leave, what happens to him?
5. What promise does Char Nyuk Tsin make to her husband, Mun Ki, at the Molokai leper colony?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)