|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT true about Kelly Kanakoa?
(a) He is a surfer.
(b) His real mother is Char Nyuk Tsin.
(c) His real first name is Kelolo.
(d) He works as a beach boy.
2. Which is these men is NOT an example of a Golden Man?
(a) Kelly Kanakoa.
(b) Hong Kong Kee.
(c) Kamejiro Sakagawa.
(d) Hoxworth Hale.
3. In 1946, who attempts to organize the plantation workers?
(a) Elinor Henderson.
(b) Kelly Kanakoa.
(c) Goro Sakagawa.
(d) Char Nyuk Tsin.
4. What does Kamejiro Sakagawa do in 1952?
(a) He votes for his son, Shigeo, who is running for senator.
(b) He refuses to return to Japan.
(c) He applies for U.S. citizenship.
(d) He refuses to apply for U.S. citizenship.
5. When Reiko's family's objection to the romance causes Lieutenant Jackson to be sent away, who does her family arrange for her to marry instead?
(a) Hong Kong Kee.
(b) Her father's friend, Mr. Ishii.
(c) Hoxworth Hale.
(d) Mark Whipple.
6. When Char Nyuk Tsin celebrates her 100th birthday, how many of her great-great-grandchildren attend the party?
7. In 1946, who does Hoxworth Hale say is causing the real problem in Hawaii?
(a) The military.
(b) The Chinese.
(c) The Fort.
(d) The Democrats.
8. What does Whip Hoxworth believe is the future of Hawaii?
(a) Pearls and coral.
(b) Pigs and chickens.
(c) Orchids and ginger flowers.
(d) Sugar and pineapples.
9. Why are so many members of the Kee family able to get jobs as bookkeepers?
(a) They blackmail the people who are doing the hiring.
(b) They bribe the people who are doing the hiring.
(c) They are smart and well-educated.
(d) They are lucky.
10. What is objectionable about the Cayenne pineapples introduced by Schilling?
(a) They have trouble absorbing iron from the soil.
(b) They are susceptible to mealy bugs.
(c) All of the given answers.
(d) They grow too big for the cans.
11. What action does the Kee family undertake because of what Char Nyuk Tsin learns from the newspaper about company values?
(a) They stop buying and selling properties.
(b) They start selling all of their properties, good and bad, to the Fort.
(c) They begin buying up losing properties from the Fort.
(d) They begin buying up prosperous properties from the Fort.
12. How many children do Kamejiro and his wife eventually have?
(a) 9 children--8 boys and 1 girl.
(b) 5 children--4 boys and 1 girl.
(c) 2 children--a boy and a girl.
(d) 6 children--3 sets of twins.
13. When Shigeo Sakagawa travels to Japan in 1946, who does he see there?
(a) General Patton.
(b) His childhood sweetheart.
(c) Hoxworth Hale.
(d) His brother Goro.
14. What is Kee Chun Fat's advice to the men who are moving to Hawaii?
(a) Only have a wife who stays in China.
(b) Only have a wife in Hawaii.
(c) Have one wife in China and another wife in Hawaii.
(d) Do not get married at all.
15. What cultural event does Shigeo attend in 1946 in Tokyo?
(a) A tea ceremony.
(b) A fireworks display.
(c) A calligraphy class.
(d) A sumo wrestling match.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mark Whipple (West Point graduate and grandson of Dr. John Whipple) is resented by members of the Chinese community. Why?
2. In 1951, when Char Nyuk Tsin is 104 years old, what statement does her grandson read aloud from the newspaper that catches her interest?
3. Goro Sakagawa hopes that his wife will be happy in Hawaii. In 1954, what does she do?
4. In 1952, the United States passed the McCarren-Walter Immigration Act. What did this Act do?
5. What was the reaction in Hawaii to passage of the McCarren-Walter Immigration Act?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)