|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1946, who does Hoxworth Hale say is causing the real problem in Hawaii?
(a) The Fort.
(b) The military.
(c) The Chinese.
(d) The Democrats.
2. In 1952, the United States passed the McCarren-Walter Immigration Act. What did this Act do?
(a) It forced all Asians to become U.S. citizens.
(b) It forced all Asian-born residents to return to their home countries.
(c) It allowed Asians to become U.S. citizens.
(d) It made it impossible for Asian-born residents to return to their home country.
3. What does Goro's new wife think about the Sakagawa household?
(a) That it is like living in Japan 100 years ago.
(b) That it is an exciting new life.
(c) Neither given answer is true.
(d) Both given answers are true.
4. When a revolution takes place in Hawaii, what does Queen Liliuokalani do about it?
(a) She sails to Bora Bora.
(b) She shoots at her enemies.
(c) She abdicates the throne.
(d) She faints.
5. Why doesn't Kamejiro pay for college for his youngest child, his daughter Reiko?
(a) He wants her to get married, not go to college.
(b) She is a poor student who isn't ready for college.
(c) He doesn't believe that girls need a college degree.
(d) He spends the money supporting Japan's war against China.
6. What was the reaction in Hawaii to passage of the McCarren-Walter Immigration Act?
(a) Classes formed to help people prepare for citizenship.
(b) Neither of the given answers.
(c) Both of the given answers.
(d) The act was generally warmly received.
7. What does Mun Ki's boss ask him to deliver to Hawaii?
(a) A bag of gold coins.
(b) An important business proposal.
(c) The Hakka girl named Char Nyuk Tsin.
(d) A letter to his brother.
8. What best describes the stores owned and operated by Char Nyuk Tsin and her family, the Kees?
(a) The stores are dirty but the prices are low.
(b) The stores are dirty and the prices are high.
(c) The stores are clean but the prices are high.
(d) The stores are clean and the prices are fair.
9. What does Kelly Kanakoa do in the early 1950s?
(a) Teams up with Judy Kee to form Island Records.
(b) Neither of the given answers.
(c) Teams up with Judy Kee to record an album.
(d) Both of the given answers.
10. When Char Nyuk Tsin celebrates her 100th birthday, how many of her great-great-grandchildren attend the party?
11. What important event takes place on July 6, 1898?
(a) U.S. House of Representatives refuses to annex Hawaii.
(b) U.S. House of Representatives votes to annex Hawaii.
(c) Queen Liliuokalani dies.
(d) Hawaii becomes the 50th U.S. state.
12. Most of Char Nyuk Tsin's great-great-grandchildren do not know her real name. How do they refer to her?
(a) Venerable Grandmother.
(b) Wu Chow's Auntie.
(c) Oldest Ancestor.
(d) Missie Kee.
13. What action does the Kee family undertake because of what Char Nyuk Tsin learns from the newspaper about company values?
(a) They begin buying up losing properties from the Fort.
(b) They start selling all of their properties, good and bad, to the Fort.
(c) They stop buying and selling properties.
(d) They begin buying up prosperous properties from the Fort.
14. What promise does Char Nyuk Tsin make to her husband, Mun Ki, at the Molokai leper colony?
(a) She will build a huge bonfire in his honor.
(b) She will remarry after he dies.
(c) She will send money to his wife in China after he dies.
(d) She will convert to Christianity.
15. Char Nyuk Tsin has trouble meeting the requirements for U.S. citizenship. Why?
(a) She is Chinese.
(b) She cannot read or write.
(c) All of the given answers.
(d) She is too old.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ishii becomes a representative for the Japanese Federation of Labor, trying to obtain better hours and better pay for the workers. When the workers go on strike, how do the planters and the Japanese Consulate react?
2. What happens on December 7, 1941, the day after the committee visits Kamejiro's house?
3. When Army captain Shigeo Sakagawa, arrives in Hawaii in 1946 on leave, what happens to him?
4. Why does Micah Hale think that America will try to take over Hawaii?
5. When her fifth son is born on Molokai, what does Char Nyuk Tsin do?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)