|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A group of influential businessmen known as The Fort, all involved with H & H Shipping, lay plans for who should hold which seats in government. Why do they care?
(a) They like to brag that they know influential politicians.
(b) They want to be sure government will favor their businesses.
(c) They believe in the importance of democratic elections.
(d) They like to place bets on how elections will turn out.
2. What happens to Hashimoto (a friend of Kamejiro's) after he marries a Hawaiian girl?
(a) All of the given answers.
(b) He is fired from his job.
(c) He is forbidden to attend the Japanese church.
(d) He is treated like an outcast.
3. In 1902, in the Japanese village of Hiroshima-ken, villagers use an ancient courtship custom. According to this custom, what should a young suitor do regarding the young woman he wishes to court?
(a) Kidnap the girl he desires.
(b) Send white flowers to her, every day for a month.
(c) Pay her parents for the privilege of courting her.
(d) Stand before her 12 times in one week without speaking.
4. Why are so many members of the Kee family able to get jobs as bookkeepers?
(a) They are smart and well-educated.
(b) They blackmail the people who are doing the hiring.
(c) They are lucky.
(d) They bribe the people who are doing the hiring.
5. How does the leper colony change after Big Saul dies?
(a) The people there look after and help one another.
(b) The people there plant gardens.
(c) All of the given answers.
(d) The people there implement the rules they need.
6. When Shigeo Sakagawa travels to Japan in 1946, who does he see there?
(a) His brother Goro.
(b) General Patton.
(c) Hoxworth Hale.
(d) His childhood sweetheart.
7. What important event takes place on July 6, 1898?
(a) Queen Liliuokalani dies.
(b) Hawaii becomes the 50th U.S. state.
(c) U.S. House of Representatives refuses to annex Hawaii.
(d) U.S. House of Representatives votes to annex Hawaii.
8. What does Kamejiro Sakagawa do in 1952?
(a) He refuses to apply for U.S. citizenship.
(b) He votes for his son, Shigeo, who is running for senator.
(c) He refuses to return to Japan.
(d) He applies for U.S. citizenship.
9. Char Nyuk Tsin has trouble meeting the requirements for U.S. citizenship. Why?
(a) She is too old.
(b) She cannot read or write.
(c) All of the given answers.
(d) She is Chinese.
10. In 1946, who attempts to organize the plantation workers?
(a) Kelly Kanakoa.
(b) Goro Sakagawa.
(c) Char Nyuk Tsin.
(d) Elinor Henderson.
11. When Shigeo's leave ends, he travels to Japan to resume his duties. What American general does he serve?
(a) General Eisenhower.
(b) General MacArthur.
(c) General Bradley.
(d) General Patton.
12. The lowland people are the Punti. How do they behave toward the highland Hakka?
(a) They share no friendly contact.
(b) The two groups work together in harmony.
(c) The Hakka enslave the Punti.
(d) The Punti enslave the Hakka.
13. In 1946, the term "the Golden Men" is coined to describe a certain kind of person developing in Hawaii. Which of the following is NOT necessarily an attribute of a "Golden Man"?
(a) A blend of Western and Eastern culture and values.
(b) A blend of business and philosophy.
(c) A blend of modern and ancient sensibilities.
(d) A blend of Caucasian and Asian genes.
14. What are Char Nyuk Tsin's sons told about their parents?
(a) That their real mother lives in China.
(b) That their mother is of royal blood.
(c) Both of the given answers.
(d) None of the given answers.
15. Who does Goro Sakagawa marry?
(b) Malama Kanakoa.
(c) Elinor Henderson.
(d) Judy Kee.
Short Answer Questions
1. What action does the Kee family undertake because of what Char Nyuk Tsin learns from the newspaper about company values?
2. Goro Sakagawa hopes that his wife will be happy in Hawaii. In 1954, what does she do?
3. In 1942, when Hoxworth Hale tours the South Pacific in search of good sites for airstrips, where do his travels take him?
4. What promise does Char Nyuk Tsin make to her husband, Mun Ki, at the Molokai leper colony?
5. Char Nyuk Tsin (also known as Wu Chow's Auntie) is 61 years old in 1912. How many descendants does she have in her extended family, the Kees?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)