|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who treats the Chinese workers kindly on their voyage from China to Hawaii?
(a) Captain Hoxworth.
(b) John Whipple.
2. The next time the Fort meets, what do its members discover?
(a) They have done no business with the Kees in months.
(b) They have all bought losing properties from the Kees.
(c) They have all sold losing properties to the Kees.
(d) They have bought all of the Kees properties, good and bad.
3. When Mun Ki is diagnosed with leprosy and sent to the leper colony on Molokai, accompanied by his pregnant wife, Char Nyuk Tsin, what do the two of them find there?
(a) Nothing but grass huts.
(b) A state-of-the-art hospital.
(c) A simple village with a clinic.
(d) An elaborate church but no clinic.
4. 20-year-old Sakagawa Kamejiro courts Yoko. Before he leaves for Hawaii, what does he tell his family he will do when he is ready to marry her?
(a) Send a letter to Yoko.
(b) Send a letter to his mother.
(c) Send a special kimono to Yoko.
(d) Send twenty gold coins to his parents.
5. Who does John Whipple believe will eventually control Hawaii?
(a) The Hawaiian royal family.
(b) The Chinese workers.
(c) Whoever controls the water.
(d) The American missionaries.
6. Why does Micah Hale think that America will try to take over Hawaii?
(a) For diamonds.
(b) For oil.
(c) For gold.
(d) For sugar.
7. When Whip Hoxworth wants Kamejiro to move to Oahu to work, he offers to pay him with land, but Kamejiro insists on a payment of $200 instead. Is this a good decision by Kamejiro?
(a) Yes, because the land is useless.
(b) It didn't matter, because the value is the same.
(c) No. The land is eventually worth far more.
(d) None of the given answers.
8. What are Char Nyuk Tsin's sons told about their parents?
(a) That their real mother lives in China.
(b) Both of the given answers.
(c) None of the given answers.
(d) That their mother is of royal blood.
9. What happens on December 7, 1941, the day after the committee visits Kamejiro's house?
(a) Japanese bombers attack Pearl Harbor.
(b) Kamejiro's house is burned down.
(c) The U.S. and Japan become allies.
(d) United States bombers attack Japan.
10. What does Kelly learn about Elinor as he gets to know her better?
(a) She is a descendant of missionary Immanuel Quigley.
(b) Both given answers are correct.
(c) She wants to write a book.
(d) Neither given answer is correct.
11. When Shigeo Sakagawa travels to Japan in 1946, who does he see there?
(a) His childhood sweetheart.
(b) Hoxworth Hale.
(c) His brother Goro.
(d) General Patton.
12. What best describes the stores owned and operated by Char Nyuk Tsin and her family, the Kees?
(a) The stores are dirty and the prices are high.
(b) The stores are clean but the prices are high.
(c) The stores are clean and the prices are fair.
(d) The stores are dirty but the prices are low.
13. Which of the following is NOT true about Kelly Kanakoa?
(a) His real first name is Kelolo.
(b) His real mother is Char Nyuk Tsin.
(c) He works as a beach boy.
(d) He is a surfer.
14. Shigeo plans to attend Harvard Law School. Why?
(a) He misses being a student.
(b) He believes there are not enough educated Japanese in Hawaii.
(c) He is afraid to go home to Hawaii.
(d) He wants to make a lot of money.
15. How does the leper colony change after Big Saul dies?
(a) The people there look after and help one another.
(b) The people there implement the rules they need.
(c) The people there plant gardens.
(d) All of the given answers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Kamejiro and his wife have trouble saving $400?
2. Why doesn't Kamejiro pay for college for his youngest child, his daughter Reiko?
3. Who is the old man who walks into a Chinese temple on the island of Maui, screams at the people there, and hits objects with his cane?
4. The lowland people are the Punti. How do they behave toward the highland Hakka?
5. In 1946, the term "the Golden Men" is coined to describe a certain kind of person developing in Hawaii. Which of the following is NOT necessarily an attribute of a "Golden Man"?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)