|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the death rate at the Molokai leper colony when Mun Ki arrives?
(a) 4 or 5 people per month.
(b) 4 or 5 people per week.
(c) 4 or 5 people per day.
(d) 4 or 5 people per hour.
2. What happens to Hashimoto (a friend of Kamejiro's) after he marries a Hawaiian girl?
(a) He is forbidden to attend the Japanese church.
(b) All of the given answers.
(c) He is treated like an outcast.
(d) He is fired from his job.
3. A group of influential businessmen known as The Fort, all involved with H & H Shipping, lay plans for who should hold which seats in government. Why do they care?
(a) They believe in the importance of democratic elections.
(b) They like to place bets on how elections will turn out.
(c) They like to brag that they know influential politicians.
(d) They want to be sure government will favor their businesses.
4. In 1951, when Char Nyuk Tsin is 104 years old, what statement does her grandson read aloud from the newspaper that catches her interest?
(a) None of the given answers.
(b) A company can be more valuable losing money than making it.
(c) Real estate is no longer a safe place to invest money.
(d) A company can be more valuable making money than losing it.
5. A committee urges Japanese families in Hawaii to have their children's names removed from the registers in their Japanese villages, thereby canceling their Japanese citizenship. What is Kamejiro's response?
(a) He refuses, in spite of his family's pleas.
(b) He is undecided.
(c) He is away and doesn't hear the committee's advice.
(d) He agrees to do so immediately.
6. When her fifth son is born on Molokai, what does Char Nyuk Tsin do?
(a) Sends him to an orphanage.
(b) Sends him to John Whipple.
(c) Sends him to her friends, Kino and Apikela.
(d) Sends him to his older brothers.
7. When Shigeo Sakagawa travels to Japan in 1946, who does he see there?
(a) His brother Goro.
(b) His childhood sweetheart.
(c) General Patton.
(d) Hoxworth Hale.
8. What kind of document does Bromley Hale write about conditions on the original missionary ship that brought his relatives to Hawaii?
(a) A simple statement of facts.
(b) An ironic satire.
(c) A poetic ode.
(d) An admiring account of their bravery.
9. When Char Nyuk Tsin celebrates her 100th birthday, how many of her great-great-grandchildren attend the party?
10. When Mark Whipple offers to lead a unit of Japanese soldiers into battle in Europe against the Germans, how many Japanese men volunteer to join the new unit, known as the 222nd?
(a) About 1,100 men.
(b) About 11 men.
(c) About 11,000 men.
(d) About 110 men.
11. What is the relationship between Kee Chun Fat (who made his fortune in the California gold fields) and Mun Ki (who works as a cook in a brothel in Macao)?
(a) They are uncle and nephew.
(b) They are brothers.
(c) They are father and son.
(d) They are strangers.
12. Mark Whipple (West Point graduate and grandson of Dr. John Whipple) is resented by members of the Chinese community. Why?
(a) None of the given answers.
(b) His father ordered Chinatown's destruction during the plague epidemic.
(c) He is descended from missionaries.
(d) He is a member of the military.
13. How long does the journey of Char Ti Chong and his people take?
(a) Many weeks.
(b) Many days.
(c) Many years.
(d) Many months.
14. What does Kelly learn about Elinor as he gets to know her better?
(a) Neither given answer is correct.
(b) She wants to write a book.
(c) Both given answers are correct.
(d) She is a descendant of missionary Immanuel Quigley.
15. With help from Hong Kong Kee, what powerful group does Mr. McLafferty's company hope to challenge?
(a) The Fort.
(b) The Japanese workers.
(c) The plantations owners.
(d) The Kee family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hong Kong Kee receives a visit from a Boston man named Mr. McLafferty. What does Mr. McLafferty want to discuss?
2. What happens on December 7, 1941, the day after the committee visits Kamejiro's house?
3. Which of the following is NOT true about Kelly Kanakoa?
4. After 13 years in Hawaii, Kamejiro and his friend Ishii-san both send away to Japan for a bride. What happens when the two young women arrive?
5. Char Nyuk Tsin vanishes from the Hakka's High Village. Why?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)