|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Char Nyuk Tsin, daughter of a Hakka chief, unmarried at the age of seventeen?
(a) She has no dowry.
(b) She is shy.
(c) She is unattractive.
(d) She does not have a favorable horoscope.
2. In 1902, in the Japanese village of Hiroshima-ken, villagers use an ancient courtship custom. According to this custom, what should a young suitor do regarding the young woman he wishes to court?
(a) Stand before her 12 times in one week without speaking.
(b) Send white flowers to her, every day for a month.
(c) Kidnap the girl he desires.
(d) Pay her parents for the privilege of courting her.
3. In 9th-century China, when Char Ti Chong and the villagers flee from the Tartar invasion, where do they plan to go?
(a) To the neighboring village, for help.
(b) To the Tartar's homeland.
(c) To the Golden Valley, with General Ching.
(d) To a secret cave, to hide.
4. What does Goro's new wife think about the Sakagawa household?
(a) Neither given answer is true.
(b) Both given answers are true.
(c) That it is an exciting new life.
(d) That it is like living in Japan 100 years ago.
5. What is the death rate at the Molokai leper colony when Mun Ki arrives?
(a) 4 or 5 people per week.
(b) 4 or 5 people per hour.
(c) 4 or 5 people per day.
(d) 4 or 5 people per month.
6. The lowland people are the Punti. How do they behave toward the highland Hakka?
(a) They share no friendly contact.
(b) The two groups work together in harmony.
(c) The Punti enslave the Hakka.
(d) The Hakka enslave the Punti.
7. What does Whip Hoxworth bring from Formosa and ask Char Nyuk Tsin to plant?
(a) Pineapple plants.
8. What kind of man is Big Saul at the Molokai leper colony?
(a) A fair leader.
(b) A bully.
(c) A minister.
(d) A doctor.
9. How many children do Kamejiro and his wife eventually have?
(a) 2 children--a boy and a girl.
(b) 9 children--8 boys and 1 girl.
(c) 6 children--3 sets of twins.
(d) 5 children--4 boys and 1 girl.
10. What promise does Char Nyuk Tsin make to her husband, Mun Ki, at the Molokai leper colony?
(a) She will build a huge bonfire in his honor.
(b) She will send money to his wife in China after he dies.
(c) She will convert to Christianity.
(d) She will remarry after he dies.
11. What was the reaction in Hawaii to passage of the McCarren-Walter Immigration Act?
(a) Both of the given answers.
(b) Neither of the given answers.
(c) Classes formed to help people prepare for citizenship.
(d) The act was generally warmly received.
12. What happens to Hashimoto (a friend of Kamejiro's) after he marries a Hawaiian girl?
(a) All of the given answers.
(b) He is forbidden to attend the Japanese church.
(c) He is fired from his job.
(d) He is treated like an outcast.
13. Why doesn't Kamejiro pay for college for his youngest child, his daughter Reiko?
(a) He wants her to get married, not go to college.
(b) He spends the money supporting Japan's war against China.
(c) He doesn't believe that girls need a college degree.
(d) She is a poor student who isn't ready for college.
14. After 13 years in Hawaii, Kamejiro and his friend Ishii-san both send away to Japan for a bride. What happens when the two young women arrive?
(a) They decide to marry each other's brides.
(b) They each marry their intended bride.
(c) Ishii-san gets married and then runs away.
(d) Only Kamejiro gets married.
15. When Whip Hoxworth dies in 1927, who is his chief heir?
(a) Char Nyuk Tsin.
(b) Sakagawa Kamejiro.
(c) John Whipple.
(d) Hoxworth Hale.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1952, the United States passed the McCarren-Walter Immigration Act. What did this Act do?
2. When Whip Hoxworth wants Kamejiro to move to Oahu to work, he offers to pay him with land, but Kamejiro insists on a payment of $200 instead. Is this a good decision by Kamejiro?
3. After Mun Ki dies, Char Nyuk Tsin returns to Hawaii to look for her youngest son. Who does she find raising him?
4. Kamejiro's daughter, Reiko, is courted by a soldier, Lieutenant Jackson. What is Lieutenant Jackson's military assignment?
5. Kelly Kanakoa is attracted to Elinor Henderson. Which of the following statements about Elinor is true?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)