|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens in Honolulu's Chinatown in November of 1899?
(a) A riot.
(b) All of the given answers.
(c) A huge fire.
(d) An outbreak of plague.
2. After Mun Ki dies, Char Nyuk Tsin returns to Hawaii to look for her youngest son. Who does she find raising him?
(a) Her older sons.
(b) John Whipple.
(c) Her friends, Kimo and Apikela.
(d) Governor Kelolo Kanakoa.
3. Goro Sakagawa hopes that his wife will be happy in Hawaii. In 1954, what does she do?
(a) Moves to Japan with her father-in-law and mother-in-law.
(b) Gives birth to triplet boys.
(c) Catches leprosy.
(d) Becomes a U.S. citizen.
4. What happens to Elinor after she gets better acquainted with Kelly Kanakoa?
(a) She dies in a tsunami.
(b) She writes a best-selling book.
(c) She opens a popular restaurant in Honolulu.
(d) She marries Kelly Kanakoa.
5. When Mark Whipple offers to lead a unit of Japanese soldiers into battle in Europe against the Germans, how many Japanese men volunteer to join the new unit, known as the 222nd?
(a) About 11,000 men.
(b) About 110 men.
(c) About 11 men.
(d) About 1,100 men.
6. In 1946, who does Hoxworth Hale say is causing the real problem in Hawaii?
(a) The Chinese.
(b) The Democrats.
(c) The Fort.
(d) The military.
7. In 9th-century China, when Char Ti Chong and the villagers flee from the Tartar invasion, where do they plan to go?
(a) To the neighboring village, for help.
(b) To the Golden Valley, with General Ching.
(c) To a secret cave, to hide.
(d) To the Tartar's homeland.
8. What does Kelly Kanakoa do in the early 1950s?
(a) Teams up with Judy Kee to form Island Records.
(b) Teams up with Judy Kee to record an album.
(c) Both of the given answers.
(d) Neither of the given answers.
9. In 1952, the United States passed the McCarren-Walter Immigration Act. What did this Act do?
(a) It made it impossible for Asian-born residents to return to their home country.
(b) It forced all Asian-born residents to return to their home countries.
(c) It forced all Asians to become U.S. citizens.
(d) It allowed Asians to become U.S. citizens.
10. When Reiko's family's objection to the romance causes Lieutenant Jackson to be sent away, who does her family arrange for her to marry instead?
(a) Mark Whipple.
(b) Her father's friend, Mr. Ishii.
(c) Hoxworth Hale.
(d) Hong Kong Kee.
11. Why does Micah Hale think that America will try to take over Hawaii?
(a) For diamonds.
(b) For sugar.
(c) For oil.
(d) For gold.
12. What kind of education do Kamejiro's children receive when they are young?
(a) Regular English-speaking school only.
(b) None of the given answers.
(c) Daily regular school followed by daily Japanese school.
(d) Japanese-speaking school only.
13. What important event takes place on July 6, 1898?
(a) Hawaii becomes the 50th U.S. state.
(b) U.S. House of Representatives refuses to annex Hawaii.
(c) Queen Liliuokalani dies.
(d) U.S. House of Representatives votes to annex Hawaii.
14. Ishii becomes a representative for the Japanese Federation of Labor, trying to obtain better hours and better pay for the workers. When the workers go on strike, how do the planters and the Japanese Consulate react?
(a) Only the Japanese Consulate supports the workers.
(b) Only the planters support the workers.
(c) Both groups support the workers.
(d) Neither group supports the workers.
15. What happens when Shigeo Sakagawa runs for a senate seat?
(a) He wins the election.
(b) He loses the election.
(c) The vote ends in a tie.
(d) He is assassinated before the vote count is complete.
Short Answer Questions
1. After 13 years in Hawaii, Kamejiro and his friend Ishii-san both send away to Japan for a bride. What happens when the two young women arrive?
2. Hong Kong Kee receives a visit from a Boston man named Mr. McLafferty. What does Mr. McLafferty want to discuss?
3. What does Goro's new wife think about the Sakagawa household?
4. Shigeo plans to attend Harvard Law School. Why?
5. Which of the following is NOT true about Kelly Kanakoa?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)