|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the island submerged again, what formed around it?
(a) A coral reef.
(b) A harbor.
(c) A whirlpool.
(d) A rainbow.
2. What is an accurate description of the earliest body of water?
(a) Completely warm and tropical.
(b) Completely frozen.
(c) Calm and stagnant.
(d) Partly cold with some ice.
3. What is a submerged island called when it reaches the ocean's surface?
4. At the time of their journey, seven centuries before Columbus, what people had sailed the farthest?
(a) The people of the island king.
(b) The Chinese.
(c) The Vikings.
(d) The Phoenicians.
5. What is trapped in the rocks because of how they are formed?
6. Learning that the high priest plans to betray the island king, the king and his followers plan to escape by sailing in what direction?
7. What god does the island king silently accept, at the temple ceremony?
8. How deeply was the island submerged?
(a) Twelve hundred feet.
(b) Twelve feet.
(c) Twelve dozen feet.
(d) Twelve inches.
9. What is an accurate description of the earliest beaches?
(a) Rock covered by sand dunes.
(b) Rock covered by small bushes.
(c) Sand covered by tall trees.
(d) Bare rock with no sand.
10. In Chapter 3, what subject does Abner Hale study at Yale University?
11. At the end of Chapter 1, what best describes the island?
(a) Still submerged.
(b) Still bare rock.
(c) Still uninhabited.
(d) Inhabited by native tribes.
12. When the island submerged, what formed over it?
(a) An arch.
(d) A tide pool.
13. The island king avoids the celebration after the ceremony, and instead goes home with 14-year-old Tehani. Who is Tehani's father?
(b) The high priest.
(c) King Tatai.
14. What beneficial object may have reached the island in bird excrement?
(b) A message.
(d) A plant seed.
15. What is the name of the science that studies how the earth is formed?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who or what is Wait-for-the-West-Wind?
2. Why does Abner Hale marry Jerusha Bromley?
3. What early life forms can the ocean bring to an island?
4. What is the primary setting of Chapter 2?
5. What is true about the body of water in Chapter 1?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)