|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What god was the island chief's father sacrificed to appease?
2. During the voyage from New England to Hawaii, how many people must share each small cabin?
(b) A dozen.
(c) Each person has their own private cabin.
3. At the time of their journey, seven centuries before Columbus, what people had sailed the farthest?
(a) The Chinese.
(b) The Vikings.
(c) The Phoenicians.
(d) The people of the island king.
4. When Abner's oldest son married Noelani's daughter, how does Abner react?
(a) He is rude to her and calls her a heathen.
(b) He confesses that he wanted to marry her, himself.
(c) He burns down their new house.
(d) He welcomes her into the family.
5. When a slave woman weeps because her husband is going to be sacrificed, what happens?
(a) She is killed.
(b) She is laughed at.
(c) She is rewarded.
(d) Her husband is spared.
6. After three years in Hawaii, what task is Abner still trying to complete?
(a) His sea shell collection.
(b) The construction of his first church.
(c) Learning to surf.
(d) Translating the Bible into Hawaiian.
7. When the island submerged again, what formed around it?
(a) A coral reef.
(b) A whirlpool.
(c) A harbor.
(d) A rainbow.
8. What is an accurate description of the earliest body of water?
(a) Completely warm and tropical.
(b) Completely frozen.
(c) Calm and stagnant.
(d) Partly cold with some ice.
9. What good omen appears during the voyage?
(a) A flying fish.
(b) A mermaid.
(c) Another ship.
(d) A new star.
10. What living creatures are likely to discover a new island?
(a) Dogs and cats.
(b) Bears and monkeys.
(c) Fish and birds.
(d) Lions and tigers.
11. How do the other missionaries on the voyage to Hawaii feel about Abner?
(a) They ignore him.
(b) They worhsip him.
(c) They laugh at him.
(d) They look to him for guidance.
12. What causes lava rock to decompose?
(a) All of the above.
(c) Changes in temperature.
13. What is the name of the island king?
14. What threatens to destroy the city of Hilo?
(a) A flow of molten lava.
(b) A warship from Bora Bora.
(c) A native uprising.
(d) A flock of angry seagulls.
15. What happens to the site of the island king's first new settlement?
(a) It is attached by hornets.
(b) It prospers.
(c) It is consumed by a tidal wave and lava.
(d) It is attacked by natives.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Abner meet John Whipple?
2. What two kinds of animals does the island king plan to take along on the escape voyage to use for meat?
3. What does Keoki tell Abner about the rocks in Malama's garden?
4. How far below the surface did fissures form?
5. After nine years in Hawaii, how many children do Abner and Jerusha have?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)