|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Abner's oldest son married Noelani's daughter, how does Abner react?
(a) He welcomes her into the family.
(b) He confesses that he wanted to marry her, himself.
(c) He is rude to her and calls her a heathen.
(d) He burns down their new house.
2. After Jerusha dies, what happens to her children?
(a) They go to live with relatives in America.
(b) They become ill and die.
(c) They all become missionaries.
(d) They go to boarding school in Honolulu.
3. What bad omen does the island king experience before he sails away?
(a) A broken bone.
(b) A fire that won't start.
(c) A cloud shaped like a fist.
(d) A bad dream.
4. In 1825, how much do the missionaries earn per year?
(a) They receive no salary at all.
(b) Twenty dollars per year.
(c) Two hundred dollars per year.
(d) Two thousand dollars per year.
5. What is an accurate description of the earliest beaches?
(a) Rock covered by sand dunes.
(b) Sand covered by tall trees.
(c) Rock covered by small bushes.
(d) Bare rock with no sand.
6. What is lava?
(a) Liquid molten rock.
(b) Floating wood.
(c) A kind of sea bird.
(d) A kind of sea weed.
7. What is the name of the science that studies how the earth is formed?
8. Who does Noelani, Malama's royal daughter, marry?
(a) John Whipple.
(b) Abner Hale.
(c) Keoki Kanakoa.
(d) Abraham Hewlett.
9. On what island is a new temple being built for which the high priest requires the presence of the island king and his entourage?
(b) Bora Bora.
(c) Puerto Rico.
10. After much argument, what is sacrificed when the island king and his people build a temple at their new home?
(b) Four slaves.
(d) One slave.
11. What happens after Abner delivers Urania Hewlett's baby?
(a) The baby dies.
(b) Urania names the baby "Abner."
(c) Malama throws a party for Urania.
(d) Urania dies.
12. What god was the island chief's father sacrificed to appease?
13. What causes lava rock to decompose?
(c) All of the above.
(d) Changes in temperature.
14. In comparison with the other land masses on the planet, what best describes these islands?
15. What two ways does John Whipple plan to serve God?
(a) As missionary and cook.
(b) As cook and doctor.
(c) As doctor and missionary.
(d) As missionary and sailor.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Malama dies, what keepsake does Kelolo claim?
2. What can underwater eruptions cause?
3. What is the name of the newest god and the island of the gods?
4. What task is assigned to the missionaries?
5. When a slave woman weeps because her husband is going to be sacrificed, what happens?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)