|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one reason that the sailors sail back to their original island during Chapter 2?
(a) To hunt for birds.
(b) To reunite Teroro with Marama.
(c) To give up and go home.
(d) To attack their former village.
2. When the island king attends the temple ceremony, what is displayed there?
(a) Baskets of flowers.
(b) Piles of gold bars.
(c) A stack of dead bodies.
(d) Offerings of food.
3. What is a submerged island called when it reaches the ocean's surface?
4. How deeply was the island submerged?
(a) Twelve dozen feet.
(b) Twelve inches.
(c) Twelve hundred feet.
(d) Twelve feet.
5. What is the name of the newest god and the island of the gods?
6. When a slave woman weeps because her husband is going to be sacrificed, what happens?
(a) She is laughed at.
(b) Her husband is spared.
(c) She is rewarded.
(d) She is killed.
7. What is the primary setting of Chapter 2?
(a) Bora Bora.
(b) Puerto Rico.
8. Who is challenging the island king for power?
(a) His son.
(b) His brother.
(c) The queen of a nearby island.
(d) The high priest.
9. After three years in Hawaii, what task is Abner still trying to complete?
(a) Translating the Bible into Hawaiian.
(b) Learning to surf.
(c) His sea shell collection.
(d) The construction of his first church.
10. What two ways does John Whipple plan to serve God?
(a) As cook and doctor.
(b) As doctor and missionary.
(c) As missionary and sailor.
(d) As missionary and cook.
11. What living creatures are likely to discover a new island?
(a) Lions and tigers.
(b) Dogs and cats.
(c) Fish and birds.
(d) Bears and monkeys.
12. On what island is a new temple being built for which the high priest requires the presence of the island king and his entourage?
(c) Puerto Rico.
(d) Bora Bora.
13. What world leader's death is mentioned as occurring around the time period described in Chapter 2?
(a) Queen Elizabeth.
(b) Napoleon Bonaparte.
(c) George Washington.
14. How many miles does the group have to sail to reach their new home?
(a) Five thousand miles.
(b) Fifty miles.
(c) Five hundred miles.
(d) Five miles.
15. What time span is covered in Chapter 1?
(a) Millions of years.
(b) A week.
(c) Ten years.
(d) A century.
Short Answer Questions
1. What body of water serves as the setting for the opening section?
2. Who or what is Wait-for-the-West-Wind?
3. What god was the island chief's father sacrificed to appease?
4. How long will the sailing voyage from New England to Hawaii take?
5. Who is the volcano goddess?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)