|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Malama, the royal Anii-Nui, treat the missionaries when they arrive in Hawaii?
(a) All of the given answers.
(b) She asks them to teach her to read and write English.
(c) She greets them warmly.
(d) She decides to dress like the missionaries.
2. What is the name of the science that studies how the earth is formed?
3. In 1825, how much do the missionaries earn per year?
(a) Twenty dollars per year.
(b) They receive no salary at all.
(c) Two hundred dollars per year.
(d) Two thousand dollars per year.
4. What word best describes the kind of soil eventually created on the island?
5. What is the name of the newest god and the island of the gods?
6. What living creatures are likely to discover a new island?
(a) Fish and birds.
(b) Dogs and cats.
(c) Lions and tigers.
(d) Bears and monkeys.
7. What god does the island king silently accept, at the temple ceremony?
8. What is trapped in the rocks because of how they are formed?
9. What percent of Lahaina's population dies in the measles epidemic?
10. What causes lava rock to decompose?
(b) All of the above.
(c) Changes in temperature.
11. Who is Kelolo?
(a) One of Malama's husbands.
(b) None of the given answers.
(c) Both of the given answers.
(d) Keoki Kanakoa's father.
12. What god was the island chief's father sacrificed to appease?
13. After Jerusha dies, what happens to her children?
(a) They go to boarding school in Honolulu.
(b) They become ill and die.
(c) They all become missionaries.
(d) They go to live with relatives in America.
14. During the voyage from New England to Hawaii, how many people must share each small cabin?
(b) Each person has their own private cabin.
(c) A dozen.
15. What two ways does John Whipple plan to serve God?
(a) As cook and doctor.
(b) As missionary and sailor.
(c) As doctor and missionary.
(d) As missionary and cook.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what subject does Abner Hale study at Yale University?
2. What is lava?
3. How do the other missionaries on the voyage to Hawaii feel about Abner?
4. How far below the surface did fissures form?
5. Who or what is Wait-for-the-West-Wind?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)