Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the island king attends the temple ceremony, what is displayed there?
(a) Offerings of food.
(b) Piles of gold bars.
(c) A stack of dead bodies.
(d) Baskets of flowers.
2. Why does Abner preach the first Sunday service on the voyage to Hawaii?
(a) He is the only missionary who isn't seasick.
(b) He was tricked into preaching.
(c) He bribed the captain to let him preach first.
(d) He is the oldest missionary.
3. What percent of Lahaina's population dies in the measles epidemic?
4. What two kinds of animals does the island king plan to take along on the escape voyage to use for meat?
(a) Lambs and pigs.
(b) Pigeons and chickens.
(c) Goats and sheep.
(d) Chickens and dogs.
5. What world leader's death is mentioned as occurring around the time period described in Chapter 2?
(a) Queen Elizabeth.
(c) George Washington.
(d) Napoleon Bonaparte.
6. What time span is covered in Chapter 1?
(a) A century.
(b) Millions of years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) A week.
7. The island king plans to take supplies and sixty people with him when he escapes, and sail with them for how many days?
(c) Six hundred.
8. Who is challenging the island king for power?
(a) The high priest.
(b) His son.
(c) His brother.
(d) The queen of a nearby island.
9. What body of water serves as the setting for the opening section?
(a) The Indian Ocean.
(b) The Atlantic Ocean.
(c) The Arctic Ocean.
(d) The Pacific Ocean.
10. What relation is Teroro to the island king?
(a) His brother.
(b) His son.
(c) His enemy.
(d) His neighbor.
11. When Malama dies, what keepsake does Kelolo claim?
(a) Her portrait.
(b) Her skull.
(c) Her pet parrot.
(d) Her bracelet.
12. Who is Kelolo?
(a) None of the given answers.
(b) One of Malama's husbands.
(c) Both of the given answers.
(d) Keoki Kanakoa's father.
13. What word best describes the kind of soil eventually created on the island?
14. What else does the island king plan to take along on the escape voyage?
(a) Bags of gold coins to trade for food.
(b) Toys to amuse the children.
(c) Wood for carving a totem pole.
(d) Saplings and roots to plant.
15. What series of natural phenomena are described as the cause of events in the opening section?
(b) Volcanic eruptions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What threatens to destroy the city of Hilo?
2. The island king avoids the celebration after the ceremony, and instead goes home with 14-year-old Tehani. Who is Tehani's father?
3. What convinces Abner to become a missionary and go to Hawaii?
4. What task is assigned to the missionaries?
5. What would the island paradise lack, when it was finally discovered by people?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)