|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who or what is Wait-for-the-West-Wind?
(a) A ship.
(b) A village.
(c) A girl.
(d) A god.
2. What two kinds of animals does the island king plan to take along on the escape voyage to use for meat?
(a) Chickens and dogs.
(b) Lambs and pigs.
(c) Pigeons and chickens.
(d) Goats and sheep.
3. During the voyage, what does it mean when the sailors spot flocks of birds catching fish?
(a) That sunset is near.
(b) That land is near.
(c) That a storm is coming.
(d) That the voyage is doomed.
4. What does John Whipple do for the community after he leaves missionary work?
(a) He offers medical treatment.
(b) All of the given answers.
(c) Her performs marriages.
(d) He runs a successful business.
5. After nine years in Hawaii, how many children do Abner and Jerusha have?
6. What is the name of the science that studies how the earth is formed?
7. What word best describes the kind of soil eventually created on the island?
8. Abner condemns the Hawaiian practice of polygamy. What is polygamy?
(a) Being married to more than one person at a time.
(b) Worshipping false gods.
(d) Public drunkness.
9. What word best describes the foliage on the island at the end of Chapter 1?
10. What best describes the island civilization described in Chapter 2?
(a) Weak and disorganized.
(c) Powerful and sophisticated.
11. What world leader's death is mentioned as occurring around the time period described in Chapter 2?
(b) George Washington.
(c) Napoleon Bonaparte.
(d) Queen Elizabeth.
12. How deeply was the island submerged?
(a) Twelve feet.
(b) Twelve hundred feet.
(c) Twelve dozen feet.
(d) Twelve inches.
13. In Chapter 3, what subject does Abner Hale study at Yale University?
14. What happens after Abner delivers Urania Hewlett's baby?
(a) The baby dies.
(b) Malama throws a party for Urania.
(c) Urania names the baby "Abner."
(d) Urania dies.
15. What threatens to destroy the city of Hilo?
(a) A flow of molten lava.
(b) A native uprising.
(c) A flock of angry seagulls.
(d) A warship from Bora Bora.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Malama, the royal Anii-Nui, treat the missionaries when they arrive in Hawaii?
2. What bad omen does the island king experience before he sails away?
3. What good omen appears during the voyage?
4. How many letters are there in Hawaiian alphabet?
5. What does Keoki tell Abner about the rocks in Malama's garden?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)