|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Keoki tell Abner about the rocks in Malama's garden?
(a) They are family gods.
(b) They are grave markers.
(c) They are souvenirs of Malama's travels.
(d) All of the given answers.
2. What is a submerged island called when it reaches the ocean's surface?
3. At the end of Chapter 1, what best describes the island?
(a) Still uninhabited.
(b) Still bare rock.
(c) Inhabited by native tribes.
(d) Still submerged.
4. What happens after Abner delivers Urania Hewlett's baby?
(a) Urania dies.
(b) Urania names the baby "Abner."
(c) Malama throws a party for Urania.
(d) The baby dies.
5. What god was the island chief's father sacrificed to appease?
6. When the island submerged again, what formed around it?
(a) A coral reef.
(b) A harbor.
(c) A whirlpool.
(d) A rainbow.
7. Who or what is Wait-for-the-West-Wind?
(a) A girl.
(b) A ship.
(c) A god.
(d) A village.
8. How far below the surface did fissures form?
(a) Four miles down.
(b) Four yards down.
(c) Forty miles down.
(d) Four feet down.
9. What word best describes the foliage on the island at the end of Chapter 1?
10. What important position does the king's uncle, Tupuna, pass down to Teroro?
(d) Human sacrifice.
11. What are the Seven Little Eyes?
(b) Followers of the high priest.
(c) A chain of islands.
12. The island king plans to take supplies and sixty people with him when he escapes, and sail with them for how many days?
(a) Six hundred.
13. Abner condemns the Hawaiian practice of polygamy. What is polygamy?
(a) Public drunkness.
(b) Worshipping false gods.
(d) Being married to more than one person at a time.
14. What convinces Abner to become a missionary and go to Hawaii?
(a) A message in a fortune cookie.
(b) The terms of Abner's father's will.
(c) Keoki Kanakoa's lecture at Yale University.
(d) It has been Abner's life-long ambition.
15. Why does Abner Hale marry Jerusha Bromley?
(a) To avoid going to jail.
(b) He falls in love with her.
(c) All missionaries are required to marry.
(d) To win a bet.
Short Answer Questions
1. After much argument, what is sacrificed when the island king and his people build a temple at their new home?
2. During the voyage, what does it mean when the sailors spot flocks of birds catching fish?
3. How long will the sailing voyage from New England to Hawaii take?
4. Who does Noelani, Malama's royal daughter, marry?
5. When the island king attends the temple ceremony, what is displayed there?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)