|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes lava rock to decompose?
(b) All of the above.
(d) Changes in temperature.
2. What happens to the site of the island king's first new settlement?
(a) It is attacked by natives.
(b) It prospers.
(c) It is consumed by a tidal wave and lava.
(d) It is attached by hornets.
3. How long will the sailing voyage from New England to Hawaii take?
(a) Six months.
(b) Six days.
(c) Six years.
(d) Six weeks.
4. In comparison with the other land masses on the planet, what best describes these islands?
5. What series of natural phenomena are described as the cause of events in the opening section?
(c) Volcanic eruptions.
6. Who is challenging the island king for power?
(a) His son.
(b) The queen of a nearby island.
(c) His brother.
(d) The high priest.
7. Who or what is Wait-for-the-West-Wind?
(a) A village.
(b) A ship.
(c) A god.
(d) A girl.
8. At the end of Chapter 1, what best describes the island?
(a) Still bare rock.
(b) Still uninhabited.
(c) Inhabited by native tribes.
(d) Still submerged.
9. Why does Abner preach the first Sunday service on the voyage to Hawaii?
(a) He bribed the captain to let him preach first.
(b) He is the oldest missionary.
(c) He was tricked into preaching.
(d) He is the only missionary who isn't seasick.
10. Who does Noelani, Malama's royal daughter, marry?
(a) John Whipple.
(b) Keoki Kanakoa.
(c) Abner Hale.
(d) Abraham Hewlett.
11. After much argument, what is sacrificed when the island king and his people build a temple at their new home?
(c) One slave.
(d) Four slaves.
12. On what island is a new temple being built for which the high priest requires the presence of the island king and his entourage?
(b) Bora Bora.
(c) Puerto Rico.
13. What else does the island king plan to take along on the escape voyage?
(a) Toys to amuse the children.
(b) Bags of gold coins to trade for food.
(c) Saplings and roots to plant.
(d) Wood for carving a totem pole.
14. At the time of their journey, seven centuries before Columbus, what people had sailed the farthest?
(a) The Vikings.
(b) The people of the island king.
(c) The Phoenicians.
(d) The Chinese.
15. The island king plans to take supplies and sixty people with him when he escapes, and sail with them for how many days?
(a) Six hundred.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is trapped in the rocks because of how they are formed?
2. How deeply was the island submerged?
3. How many miles does the group have to sail to reach their new home?
4. What is lava?
5. What word best describes the kind of soil eventually created on the island?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)