|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Keoki tell Abner about the rocks in Malama's garden?
(a) They are souvenirs of Malama's travels.
(b) All of the given answers.
(c) They are grave markers.
(d) They are family gods.
2. What god does the island king silently accept, at the temple ceremony?
3. What would the island paradise lack, when it was finally discovered by people?
4. When the island submerged, what formed over it?
(b) A tide pool.
(c) An arch.
5. Who does Noelani, Malama's royal daughter, marry?
(a) Abraham Hewlett.
(b) Abner Hale.
(c) John Whipple.
(d) Keoki Kanakoa.
6. When the island king attends the temple ceremony, what is displayed there?
(a) Offerings of food.
(b) Baskets of flowers.
(c) Piles of gold bars.
(d) A stack of dead bodies.
7. What can underwater eruptions cause?
(a) Crop growth.
(b) Tidal waves.
8. When a slave woman weeps because her husband is going to be sacrificed, what happens?
(a) She is laughed at.
(b) She is killed.
(c) She is rewarded.
(d) Her husband is spared.
9. What threatens to destroy the city of Hilo?
(a) A flow of molten lava.
(b) A warship from Bora Bora.
(c) A flock of angry seagulls.
(d) A native uprising.
10. What beneficial things may have reached the island by being caught up in the wind?
11. What is an accurate description of the earliest body of water?
(a) Calm and stagnant.
(b) Completely frozen.
(c) Completely warm and tropical.
(d) Partly cold with some ice.
12. What convinces Abner to become a missionary and go to Hawaii?
(a) A message in a fortune cookie.
(b) The terms of Abner's father's will.
(c) It has been Abner's life-long ambition.
(d) Keoki Kanakoa's lecture at Yale University.
13. During the voyage from New England to Hawaii, how many people must share each small cabin?
(b) Each person has their own private cabin.
(c) A dozen.
14. What two ways does John Whipple plan to serve God?
(a) As missionary and cook.
(b) As cook and doctor.
(c) As missionary and sailor.
(d) As doctor and missionary.
15. Learning that the high priest plans to betray the island king, the king and his followers plan to escape by sailing in what direction?
Short Answer Questions
1. The island king avoids the celebration after the ceremony, and instead goes home with 14-year-old Tehani. Who is Tehani's father?
2. What is an accurate description of the earliest beaches?
3. What relation is Teroro to the island king?
4. At the time of their journey, seven centuries before Columbus, what people had sailed the farthest?
5. When Kelolo teaches Hawaiian history to Abner, how many generations does he say have been born since the original founding journey from Bora Bora?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)