|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The island king plans to take supplies and sixty people with him when he escapes, and sail with them for how many days?
(c) Six hundred.
2. What series of natural phenomena are described as the cause of events in the opening section?
(a) Volcanic eruptions.
3. What is the primary setting of Chapter 2?
(a) Bora Bora.
(b) Puerto Rico.
4. After Jerusha dies, what happens to her children?
(a) They go to live with relatives in America.
(b) They become ill and die.
(c) They all become missionaries.
(d) They go to boarding school in Honolulu.
5. How many letters are there in Hawaiian alphabet?
6. After much argument, what is sacrificed when the island king and his people build a temple at their new home?
(b) Four slaves.
(d) One slave.
7. What does John Whipple do for the community after he leaves missionary work?
(a) All of the given answers.
(b) He offers medical treatment.
(c) He runs a successful business.
(d) Her performs marriages.
8. What bad omen does the island king experience before he sails away?
(a) A cloud shaped like a fist.
(b) A fire that won't start.
(c) A bad dream.
(d) A broken bone.
9. When the island king attends the temple ceremony, what is displayed there?
(a) Piles of gold bars.
(b) Offerings of food.
(c) A stack of dead bodies.
(d) Baskets of flowers.
10. Who does Noelani, Malama's royal daughter, marry?
(a) Keoki Kanakoa.
(b) Abner Hale.
(c) John Whipple.
(d) Abraham Hewlett.
11. What good omen appears during the voyage?
(a) A flying fish.
(b) A new star.
(c) A mermaid.
(d) Another ship.
12. How far below the surface did fissures form?
(a) Four miles down.
(b) Four yards down.
(c) Forty miles down.
(d) Four feet down.
13. At the time of their journey, seven centuries before Columbus, what people had sailed the farthest?
(a) The Chinese.
(b) The Vikings.
(c) The people of the island king.
(d) The Phoenicians.
14. What is lava?
(a) A kind of sea weed.
(b) Floating wood.
(c) A kind of sea bird.
(d) Liquid molten rock.
15. On what island is a new temple being built for which the high priest requires the presence of the island king and his entourage?
(b) Bora Bora.
(d) Puerto Rico.
Short Answer Questions
1. What best describes the island civilization described in Chapter 2?
2. How did trees first begin to grow on the island?
3. Who or what is Wait-for-the-West-Wind?
4. What causes lava rock to decompose?
5. What is an accurate description of the earliest body of water?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)