|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the voyage, what does it mean when the sailors spot flocks of birds catching fish?
(a) That a storm is coming.
(b) That the voyage is doomed.
(c) That sunset is near.
(d) That land is near.
2. What world leader's death is mentioned as occurring around the time period described in Chapter 2?
(a) Napoleon Bonaparte.
(b) Queen Elizabeth.
(c) George Washington.
3. What two ways does John Whipple plan to serve God?
(a) As missionary and cook.
(b) As missionary and sailor.
(c) As doctor and missionary.
(d) As cook and doctor.
4. What does decomposed lava rock create?
5. What early life forms can the ocean bring to an island?
(b) None of the given answers.
(c) Both of the given answers.
6. What causes lava rock to decompose?
(a) All of the above.
(c) Changes in temperature.
7. How deeply was the island submerged?
(a) Twelve hundred feet.
(b) Twelve dozen feet.
(c) Twelve inches.
(d) Twelve feet.
8. What series of natural phenomena are described as the cause of events in the opening section?
(a) Volcanic eruptions.
9. What beneficial things may have reached the island by being caught up in the wind?
10. What is an accurate description of the earliest beaches?
(a) Sand covered by tall trees.
(b) Bare rock with no sand.
(c) Rock covered by small bushes.
(d) Rock covered by sand dunes.
11. At the end of Chapter 1, what best describes the island?
(a) Still submerged.
(b) Still uninhabited.
(c) Inhabited by native tribes.
(d) Still bare rock.
12. After three years in Hawaii, what task is Abner still trying to complete?
(a) Translating the Bible into Hawaiian.
(b) His sea shell collection.
(c) Learning to surf.
(d) The construction of his first church.
13. How does Abner meet John Whipple?
(a) John is Abner's roommate at Yale.
(b) John is Abner's cousin.
(c) John is Abner's minister.
(d) John is Abner's servant.
14. When Malama dies, what keepsake does Kelolo claim?
(a) Her bracelet.
(b) Her pet parrot.
(c) Her portrait.
(d) Her skull.
15. How many miles does the group have to sail to reach their new home?
(a) Fifty miles.
(b) Five thousand miles.
(c) Five hundred miles.
(d) Five miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the island submerged again, what formed around it?
2. How far below the surface did fissures form?
3. When a slave woman weeps because her husband is going to be sacrificed, what happens?
4. The island king avoids the celebration after the ceremony, and instead goes home with 14-year-old Tehani. Who is Tehani's father?
5. How many letters are there in Hawaiian alphabet?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)