|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How deeply was the island submerged?
(a) Twelve hundred feet.
(b) Twelve inches.
(c) Twelve feet.
(d) Twelve dozen feet.
2. What is a submerged island called when it reaches the ocean's surface?
3. What can underwater eruptions cause?
(a) Tidal waves.
(c) Crop growth.
4. When the island king attends the temple ceremony, what is displayed there?
(a) Offerings of food.
(b) A stack of dead bodies.
(c) Baskets of flowers.
(d) Piles of gold bars.
5. What is lava?
(a) A kind of sea bird.
(b) Liquid molten rock.
(c) A kind of sea weed.
(d) Floating wood.
6. What bad omen does the island king experience before he sails away?
(a) A fire that won't start.
(b) A cloud shaped like a fist.
(c) A broken bone.
(d) A bad dream.
7. Why does Abner Hale marry Jerusha Bromley?
(a) He falls in love with her.
(b) To win a bet.
(c) All missionaries are required to marry.
(d) To avoid going to jail.
8. What god do the island king and his people worship, to the high priest's displeasure?
9. When Malama dies, what keepsake does Kelolo claim?
(a) Her portrait.
(b) Her skull.
(c) Her pet parrot.
(d) Her bracelet.
10. Who is Kelolo?
(a) One of Malama's husbands.
(b) Both of the given answers.
(c) Keoki Kanakoa's father.
(d) None of the given answers.
11. What early life forms can the ocean bring to an island?
(a) None of the given answers.
(c) Both of the given answers.
12. What time span is covered in Chapter 1?
(a) A century.
(b) Millions of years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) A week.
13. What two ways does John Whipple plan to serve God?
(a) As missionary and cook.
(b) As cook and doctor.
(c) As missionary and sailor.
(d) As doctor and missionary.
14. What is an accurate description of the earliest beaches?
(a) Bare rock with no sand.
(b) Sand covered by tall trees.
(c) Rock covered by sand dunes.
(d) Rock covered by small bushes.
15. What happens after Abner delivers Urania Hewlett's baby?
(a) Malama throws a party for Urania.
(b) The baby dies.
(c) Urania dies.
(d) Urania names the baby "Abner."
Short Answer Questions
1. What god was the island chief's father sacrificed to appease?
2. What is the name of the newest god and the island of the gods?
3. Who helps Jerusha when her first child, a son, is born?
4. After much argument, what is sacrificed when the island king and his people build a temple at their new home?
5. How long will the sailing voyage from New England to Hawaii take?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)