|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is lava?
(a) Liquid molten rock.
(b) Floating wood.
(c) A kind of sea weed.
(d) A kind of sea bird.
2. Who helps Jerusha when her first child, a son, is born?
(b) A Hawaiian midwife.
(c) John Whipple.
3. Abner condemns the Hawaiian practice of polygamy. What is polygamy?
(a) Being married to more than one person at a time.
(b) Public drunkness.
(c) Worshipping false gods.
4. What is the name of the island king?
5. How many miles does the group have to sail to reach their new home?
(a) Five thousand miles.
(b) Fifty miles.
(c) Five hundred miles.
(d) Five miles.
6. In 1825, how much do the missionaries earn per year?
(a) Two hundred dollars per year.
(b) Twenty dollars per year.
(c) They receive no salary at all.
(d) Two thousand dollars per year.
7. What does John Whipple do for the community after he leaves missionary work?
(a) He runs a successful business.
(b) He offers medical treatment.
(c) All of the given answers.
(d) Her performs marriages.
8. What is true about the body of water in Chapter 1?
(a) It sometimes flooded the land.
(b) Life began there.
(c) Both of the given answers.
(d) None of the given answers.
9. At the end of Chapter 1, what best describes the island?
(a) Still bare rock.
(b) Still uninhabited.
(c) Still submerged.
(d) Inhabited by native tribes.
10. When the second chain of islands formed in the southeast, how long was it?
(a) Two million miles long.
(b) Two hundred miles long.
(c) Two miles long.
(d) Two thousand miles long.
11. What is the primary setting of Chapter 2?
(a) Bora Bora.
(d) Puerto Rico.
12. Who is challenging the island king for power?
(a) His brother.
(b) His son.
(c) The queen of a nearby island.
(d) The high priest.
13. How deeply was the island submerged?
(a) Twelve hundred feet.
(b) Twelve dozen feet.
(c) Twelve feet.
(d) Twelve inches.
14. What announcement does Jerusha make when she reaches Hawaii?
(a) She is going blind.
(b) She is allergic to coconuts.
(c) She wants to be an actress.
(d) She is pregnant.
15. Once an island is formed, what can further eruptions cause?
(d) All of the given answers.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what subject does Abner Hale study at Yale University?
2. What god do the island king and his people worship, to the high priest's displeasure?
3. What two kinds of animals does the island king plan to take along on the escape voyage to use for meat?
4. After nine years in Hawaii, how many children do Abner and Jerusha have?
5. How do the other missionaries on the voyage to Hawaii feel about Abner?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)