|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would the island paradise lack, when it was finally discovered by people?
2. What beneficial object may have reached the island in bird excrement?
(a) A message.
(c) A plant seed.
3. What is trapped in the rocks because of how they are formed?
4. What god do the island king and his people worship, to the high priest's displeasure?
5. Why does Abner Hale marry Jerusha Bromley?
(a) All missionaries are required to marry.
(b) He falls in love with her.
(c) To win a bet.
(d) To avoid going to jail.
6. When Jesus and Mohammed were alive, what stage were the islands at?
(a) Completely formed.
(c) Not even begun.
(d) Still forming.
7. What does Keoki tell Abner about the rocks in Malama's garden?
(a) They are souvenirs of Malama's travels.
(b) They are family gods.
(c) All of the given answers.
(d) They are grave markers.
8. In 1825, how much do the missionaries earn per year?
(a) Two hundred dollars per year.
(b) Twenty dollars per year.
(c) Two thousand dollars per year.
(d) They receive no salary at all.
9. At the time of their journey, seven centuries before Columbus, what people had sailed the farthest?
(a) The people of the island king.
(b) The Chinese.
(c) The Phoenicians.
(d) The Vikings.
10. The island king plans to take supplies and sixty people with him when he escapes, and sail with them for how many days?
(d) Six hundred.
11. What happens to the site of the island king's first new settlement?
(a) It prospers.
(b) It is consumed by a tidal wave and lava.
(c) It is attacked by natives.
(d) It is attached by hornets.
12. What are the Seven Little Eyes?
(a) A chain of islands.
(c) Followers of the high priest.
13. The island king avoids the celebration after the ceremony, and instead goes home with 14-year-old Tehani. Who is Tehani's father?
(a) King Tatai.
(b) The high priest.
14. How did trees first begin to grow on the island?
(a) Birds pecked at seeds.
(b) Natives planted orchards.
(c) Storm winds carried saplings to shore.
(d) The wood from rafts took root.
15. At the end of Chapter 1, what best describes the island?
(a) Still bare rock.
(b) Still submerged.
(c) Inhabited by native tribes.
(d) Still uninhabited.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the island submerged, what formed over it?
2. What is a submerged island called when it reaches the ocean's surface?
3. What does John Whipple do for the community after he leaves missionary work?
4. What threatens to destroy the city of Hilo?
5. What announcement does Jerusha make when she reaches Hawaii?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)