|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bad omen does the island king experience before he sails away?
(a) A bad dream.
(b) A fire that won't start.
(c) A broken bone.
(d) A cloud shaped like a fist.
2. After nine years in Hawaii, how many children do Abner and Jerusha have?
3. After Jerusha dies, what happens to her children?
(a) They become ill and die.
(b) They go to live with relatives in America.
(c) They all become missionaries.
(d) They go to boarding school in Honolulu.
4. Who or what is Wait-for-the-West-Wind?
(a) A ship.
(b) A girl.
(c) A god.
(d) A village.
5. What can underwater eruptions cause?
(b) Crop growth.
(c) Tidal waves.
6. What would the island paradise lack, when it was finally discovered by people?
7. When the second chain of islands formed in the southeast, how long was it?
(a) Two miles long.
(b) Two hundred miles long.
(c) Two thousand miles long.
(d) Two million miles long.
8. What happens to the site of the island king's first new settlement?
(a) It is consumed by a tidal wave and lava.
(b) It is attacked by natives.
(c) It prospers.
(d) It is attached by hornets.
9. The island king avoids the celebration after the ceremony, and instead goes home with 14-year-old Tehani. Who is Tehani's father?
(a) King Tatai.
(b) The high priest.
10. What word best describes the kind of soil eventually created on the island?
11. What does Keoki tell Abner about the rocks in Malama's garden?
(a) They are family gods.
(b) All of the given answers.
(c) They are souvenirs of Malama's travels.
(d) They are grave markers.
12. How many letters are there in Hawaiian alphabet?
13. When the island submerged, what formed over it?
(a) An arch.
(d) A tide pool.
14. During the voyage from New England to Hawaii, how many people must share each small cabin?
(a) Each person has their own private cabin.
(b) A dozen.
15. What is one reason that the sailors sail back to their original island during Chapter 2?
(a) To hunt for birds.
(b) To give up and go home.
(c) To attack their former village.
(d) To reunite Teroro with Marama.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long will the sailing voyage from New England to Hawaii take?
2. When the island king attends the temple ceremony, what is displayed there?
3. What word best describes the foliage on the island at the end of Chapter 1?
4. What does decomposed lava rock create?
5. What are the Seven Little Eyes?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)