|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Abner meet John Whipple?
(a) John is Abner's minister.
(b) John is Abner's cousin.
(c) John is Abner's servant.
(d) John is Abner's roommate at Yale.
2. Learning that the high priest plans to betray the island king, the king and his followers plan to escape by sailing in what direction?
3. When Malama dies, what keepsake does Kelolo claim?
(a) Her bracelet.
(b) Her skull.
(c) Her portrait.
(d) Her pet parrot.
4. What is trapped in the rocks because of how they are formed?
5. What early life forms can the ocean bring to an island?
(a) Both of the given answers.
(d) None of the given answers.
6. How far below the surface did fissures form?
(a) Four yards down.
(b) Four miles down.
(c) Four feet down.
(d) Forty miles down.
7. What is an accurate description of the earliest beaches?
(a) Rock covered by sand dunes.
(b) Sand covered by tall trees.
(c) Rock covered by small bushes.
(d) Bare rock with no sand.
8. What relation is Teroro to the island king?
(a) His enemy.
(b) His brother.
(c) His son.
(d) His neighbor.
9. After three years in Hawaii, what task is Abner still trying to complete?
(a) Translating the Bible into Hawaiian.
(b) The construction of his first church.
(c) Learning to surf.
(d) His sea shell collection.
10. How does Malama, the royal Anii-Nui, treat the missionaries when they arrive in Hawaii?
(a) All of the given answers.
(b) She asks them to teach her to read and write English.
(c) She greets them warmly.
(d) She decides to dress like the missionaries.
11. On what island is a new temple being built for which the high priest requires the presence of the island king and his entourage?
(a) Puerto Rico.
(d) Bora Bora.
12. In Chapter 3, what subject does Abner Hale study at Yale University?
13. Who does Noelani, Malama's royal daughter, marry?
(a) Abner Hale.
(b) Keoki Kanakoa.
(c) Abraham Hewlett.
(d) John Whipple.
14. At the time of their journey, seven centuries before Columbus, what people had sailed the farthest?
(a) The Vikings.
(b) The Phoenicians.
(c) The people of the island king.
(d) The Chinese.
15. What good omen appears during the voyage?
(a) A mermaid.
(b) Another ship.
(c) A new star.
(d) A flying fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the second chain of islands formed in the southeast, how long was it?
2. What is an accurate description of the earliest body of water?
3. When the island submerged again, what formed around it?
4. What is the name of the newest god and the island of the gods?
5. What best describes the island civilization described in Chapter 2?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)