|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What living creatures are likely to discover a new island?
(a) Fish and birds.
(b) Lions and tigers.
(c) Dogs and cats.
(d) Bears and monkeys.
2. When Abner's oldest son married Noelani's daughter, how does Abner react?
(a) He welcomes her into the family.
(b) He burns down their new house.
(c) He is rude to her and calls her a heathen.
(d) He confesses that he wanted to marry her, himself.
3. What god was the island chief's father sacrificed to appease?
4. When Malama dies, what keepsake does Kelolo claim?
(a) Her bracelet.
(b) Her pet parrot.
(c) Her portrait.
(d) Her skull.
5. What god does the island king silently accept, at the temple ceremony?
6. At the end of Chapter 1, what best describes the island?
(a) Inhabited by native tribes.
(b) Still submerged.
(c) Still bare rock.
(d) Still uninhabited.
7. How long will the sailing voyage from New England to Hawaii take?
(a) Six days.
(b) Six months.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Six years.
8. What announcement does Jerusha make when she reaches Hawaii?
(a) She wants to be an actress.
(b) She is allergic to coconuts.
(c) She is going blind.
(d) She is pregnant.
9. What body of water serves as the setting for the opening section?
(a) The Indian Ocean.
(b) The Arctic Ocean.
(c) The Atlantic Ocean.
(d) The Pacific Ocean.
10. Who is Kelolo?
(a) Both of the given answers.
(b) None of the given answers.
(c) Keoki Kanakoa's father.
(d) One of Malama's husbands.
11. What relation is Teroro to the island king?
(a) His son.
(b) His enemy.
(c) His brother.
(d) His neighbor.
12. What can underwater eruptions cause?
(a) Crop growth.
(c) Tidal waves.
13. Who is the volcano goddess?
14. Who does Noelani, Malama's royal daughter, marry?
(a) Keoki Kanakoa.
(b) Abraham Hewlett.
(c) John Whipple.
(d) Abner Hale.
15. After Jerusha dies, what happens to her children?
(a) They become ill and die.
(b) They all become missionaries.
(c) They go to live with relatives in America.
(d) They go to boarding school in Honolulu.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Abner meet John Whipple?
2. The island king plans to take supplies and sixty people with him when he escapes, and sail with them for how many days?
3. What happens to the site of the island king's first new settlement?
4. What two kinds of animals does the island king plan to take along on the escape voyage to use for meat?
5. What important position does the king's uncle, Tupuna, pass down to Teroro?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)