|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would the island paradise lack, when it was finally discovered by people?
2. What body of water serves as the setting for the opening section?
(a) The Indian Ocean.
(b) The Atlantic Ocean.
(c) The Arctic Ocean.
(d) The Pacific Ocean.
3. Who does Noelani, Malama's royal daughter, marry?
(a) Abner Hale.
(b) Abraham Hewlett.
(c) John Whipple.
(d) Keoki Kanakoa.
4. What best describes the island civilization described in Chapter 2?
(b) Powerful and sophisticated.
(c) Weak and disorganized.
5. How deeply was the island submerged?
(a) Twelve feet.
(b) Twelve dozen feet.
(c) Twelve hundred feet.
(d) Twelve inches.
6. What god does the island king silently accept, at the temple ceremony?
7. How does Abner meet John Whipple?
(a) John is Abner's cousin.
(b) John is Abner's minister.
(c) John is Abner's roommate at Yale.
(d) John is Abner's servant.
8. What two ways does John Whipple plan to serve God?
(a) As missionary and cook.
(b) As missionary and sailor.
(c) As doctor and missionary.
(d) As cook and doctor.
9. At the time of their journey, seven centuries before Columbus, what people had sailed the farthest?
(a) The Chinese.
(b) The people of the island king.
(c) The Vikings.
(d) The Phoenicians.
10. What task is assigned to the missionaries?
(a) To teach Latin to the natives.
(b) To translate the Bible into Hawaiian.
(c) To learn how to surf.
(d) To teach the natives how to grow tobacco.
11. What two kinds of animals does the island king plan to take along on the escape voyage to use for meat?
(a) Lambs and pigs.
(b) Chickens and dogs.
(c) Goats and sheep.
(d) Pigeons and chickens.
12. What percent of Lahaina's population dies in the measles epidemic?
13. What causes lava rock to decompose?
(c) Changes in temperature.
(d) All of the above.
14. When Kelolo teaches Hawaiian history to Abner, how many generations does he say have been born since the original founding journey from Bora Bora?
(a) 7 generations.
(b) 128 generations.
(c) 31 generations.
(d) 883 generations.
15. What is a submerged island called when it reaches the ocean's surface?
Short Answer Questions
1. What good omen appears during the voyage?
2. On what island is a new temple being built for which the high priest requires the presence of the island king and his entourage?
3. Who is challenging the island king for power?
4. What is trapped in the rocks because of how they are formed?
5. During the voyage, what does it mean when the sailors spot flocks of birds catching fish?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)