|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once an island is formed, what can further eruptions cause?
(a) All of the given answers.
2. Who is the volcano goddess?
3. How do the other missionaries on the voyage to Hawaii feel about Abner?
(a) They worhsip him.
(b) They ignore him.
(c) They look to him for guidance.
(d) They laugh at him.
4. What important position does the king's uncle, Tupuna, pass down to Teroro?
(a) Human sacrifice.
5. Who or what is Wait-for-the-West-Wind?
(a) A god.
(b) A girl.
(c) A ship.
(d) A village.
6. At the time of their journey, seven centuries before Columbus, what people had sailed the farthest?
(a) The Phoenicians.
(b) The people of the island king.
(c) The Vikings.
(d) The Chinese.
7. What god do the island king and his people worship, to the high priest's displeasure?
8. What announcement does Jerusha make when she reaches Hawaii?
(a) She is going blind.
(b) She wants to be an actress.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is allergic to coconuts.
9. Who is challenging the island king for power?
(a) His son.
(b) The high priest.
(c) The queen of a nearby island.
(d) His brother.
10. What good omen appears during the voyage?
(a) Another ship.
(b) A mermaid.
(c) A flying fish.
(d) A new star.
11. What is true about the body of water in Chapter 1?
(a) None of the given answers.
(b) Both of the given answers.
(c) It sometimes flooded the land.
(d) Life began there.
12. During the voyage from New England to Hawaii, how many people must share each small cabin?
(b) A dozen.
(c) Each person has their own private cabin.
13. How deeply was the island submerged?
(a) Twelve dozen feet.
(b) Twelve inches.
(c) Twelve feet.
(d) Twelve hundred feet.
14. What does decomposed lava rock create?
15. What can underwater eruptions cause?
(b) Crop growth.
(d) Tidal waves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an accurate description of the earliest body of water?
2. Why does Abner Hale marry Jerusha Bromley?
3. What beneficial object may have reached the island in bird excrement?
4. How did trees first begin to grow on the island?
5. The island king avoids the celebration after the ceremony, and instead goes home with 14-year-old Tehani. Who is Tehani's father?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)