|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, The Golden Men.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1951, when Char Nyuk Tsin is 104 years old, what statement does her grandson read aloud from the newspaper that catches her interest?
(a) Real estate is no longer a safe place to invest money.
(b) None of the given answers.
(c) A company can be more valuable making money than losing it.
(d) A company can be more valuable losing money than making it.
2. What convinces Abner to become a missionary and go to Hawaii?
(a) It has been Abner's life-long ambition.
(b) Keoki Kanakoa's lecture at Yale University.
(c) A message in a fortune cookie.
(d) The terms of Abner's father's will.
3. What starts happening to Japanese people in Hawaii on December 10, 1941?
(a) They are shipped back to Japan.
(b) They are arrested on sight.
(c) They are rounded up and placed in barbed-wire enclosures.
(d) They are honored with a parade in Honolulu.
4. What was the reaction in Hawaii to passage of the McCarren-Walter Immigration Act?
(a) Neither of the given answers.
(b) Classes formed to help people prepare for citizenship.
(c) The act was generally warmly received.
(d) Both of the given answers.
5. What happens to Elinor after she gets better acquainted with Kelly Kanakoa?
(a) She dies in a tsunami.
(b) She marries Kelly Kanakoa.
(c) She opens a popular restaurant in Honolulu.
(d) She writes a best-selling book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are so many members of the Kee family able to get jobs as bookkeepers?
2. The island king avoids the celebration after the ceremony, and instead goes home with 14-year-old Tehani. Who is Tehani's father?
3. What does John Whipple do for the community after he leaves missionary work?
4. What does Kelly learn about Elinor as he gets to know her better?
5. Learning that the high priest plans to betray the island king, the king and his followers plan to escape by sailing in what direction?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)