|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Hap's wife?
2. Which of the children died due to a hospital's negligence?
3. What was the term used to describe the child's condition?
4. In what month did the event occur?
5. What was the name of the music teacher often visited by the sisters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the effect of the Depression on Harlem. Also discuss the end of the Harlem Renaissance.
2. Discuss Julia's move to New York. How did Julia's presence affect Bessie's attempt to get work?
3. Sadie relays the story of one of her first experiences in New York regarding strangers. What was the experience? What did Sadie learn?
4. How did Sadie make extra money in the early years? What dampened the success of the business?
5. Examine the incident with the cottage, Bessie, and the judge.
6. How did the Delanys react to the major changes that were going on around them in Harlem?
7. Sadie was tricky when it came to getting a job at a high school. What was Sadie's trick? Why was it necessary?
8. What does Bessie say about the extra effort that must be put forth by Negroes?
9. As one might expect, Bessie got the last word in the book. What was Bessie's final insight?
10. How did Nanny's death change Sadie's role in the family? What was the family's reaction to the change?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bessie jokes that the reason she and Sadie have lived so long was due to the fact that neither ever got married. Do you think there is any truth to that statement? Did Bessie mean what she said or was she joking? Why do you think neither sister ever married? How was that choice viewed by the rest of the family? Did either have a boyfriend? How might things have changed if one or both of the sisters had married? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The Delany children were raised in somewhat of a sheltered way. Discuss the childhoods of the children. How were they affected by being so sheltered? What kind of influence did Henry and Nanny have on the way the children viewed the world? How might the children be different if raised in Raleigh proper, or in some unprotected area? What do you think Henry and Nanny might have done to protect their children in a different environment? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Although the Delany family had many admirers, they also had detractors. Examine the type of person that might be most likely to detract from the family's accomplishments. Why do you think some of the lower class black families were resentful of the Delanys? Were they jealous? Did they have the same ambition or opportunities? Why did some think the family was trying to live in a white man's world? What does it mean when people said that the Delanys were trying to live above their station? How did the Delanys react to their supporters and detractors? What is your opinion?
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)