|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Part five talks about the revitalization of which New York neighborhood?
2. Where did the sisters live when their house was condemned by the government?
3. Where did Julia go to school?
4. The sisters tell a story about a young boy who was trying to save the life of which type of bird?
5. What was the name of Bessie's boyfriend at the time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Sadie was tricky when it came to getting a job at a high school. What was Sadie's trick? Why was it necessary?
2. Discuss how Sadie's knowledge of vitamins and minerals benefited the family over the years.
3. Discuss the Delanys' involvement with the up and coming jazz scene in Harlem.
4. What was the general impression of Harlem in the 1920s and 1930s? What was the other side of the situation?
5. Discuss Sadie's difficulties during her first year at Pratt.
6. Who convinced the sisters to move to Westchester? What kind of reception did the sisters receive?
7. What prompted the family to move to New York? Who moved to the city first? Why?
8. As one might expect, Bessie got the last word in the book. What was Bessie's final insight?
9. Discuss the effect of the Depression on Harlem. Also discuss the end of the Harlem Renaissance.
10. Discuss at least two of Bessie's major challenges at Columbia.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the professional careers of all ten children. Begin with the oldest and end with the youngest. How many were involved in the same or similar professions? Did any take after Henry or Nanny in their career choices? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Bessie jokes that the reason she and Sadie have lived so long was due to the fact that neither ever got married. Do you think there is any truth to that statement? Did Bessie mean what she said or was she joking? Why do you think neither sister ever married? How was that choice viewed by the rest of the family? Did either have a boyfriend? How might things have changed if one or both of the sisters had married? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Hubert Delany. What was unusual about Hubert's professional career? How did he make a difference as an activist? How did the sisters feel when Hubert became a celebrated government official? What was Hubert's job? What was his role in law making and policy? Where did Hubert serve? What was the relationship between Hubert and his sisters? Which organizations did Hubert support?
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)