|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What saying is attributed to Sadie?
2. What word is used that means the same as angry?
3. What item did Nanny often misplace?
4. Hubert was active in which famous organization?
5. What was the name of Hap's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Sadie's difficulties during her first year at Pratt.
2. Sadie relays the story of one of her first experiences in New York regarding strangers. What was the experience? What did Sadie learn?
3. Sadie was tricky when it came to getting a job at a high school. What was Sadie's trick? Why was it necessary?
4. What was the general impression of Harlem in the 1920s and 1930s? What was the other side of the situation?
5. Discuss Hubie's role in the political arena in New York.
6. Explain Bessie's first practice. Who shared the office suite with Bessie?
7. What drastic action did the sisters take to care for Nanny?
8. Discuss Bessie's early days at Columbia. Which family member was most helpful to Bessie during that time?
9. Sadie and Bessie's neighbors in the projects were upset about the actions of the neighborhood kids. How did the sisters react to the issue?
10. Discuss at least two of Bessie's major challenges at Columbia.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Interracial relationships were not common in the late 1800s. Examine the relationship between Mr. Miliam and Nanny's mother. What were the specifics of the relationship? Was Nanny treated differently because her father was a white man? Did Miliam's wealth have anything to do with the level of acceptance in the relationship? Why was the couple never married? How might the same relationship be viewed today? How did the relationship affect Miliam's inheritance to Nanny and the children? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Many people tried to get the sisters to use modern technology. At the time, that meant getting a telephone. Explain why the sisters refused to have a phone. What was their reason? What might happen if there was an emergency? How do you think the sisters would have reacted to today's modern technology? Do you think either would have given in and tried some of the new gadgets on the market today?
Essay Topic 3
Although the Delany family had many admirers, they also had detractors. Examine the type of person that might be most likely to detract from the family's accomplishments. Why do you think some of the lower class black families were resentful of the Delanys? Were they jealous? Did they have the same ambition or opportunities? Why did some think the family was trying to live in a white man's world? What does it mean when people said that the Delanys were trying to live above their station? How did the Delanys react to their supporters and detractors? What is your opinion?
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)