|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What saying is attributed to Sadie?
2. According to the sisters, Nanny's judgment was often _____.
3. Bessie says that she thought Martin Luther King, Jr. was a(n) _____.
4. In what year did this event occur?
5. What was the name of Hap's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Sadie relays the story of one of her first experiences in New York regarding strangers. What was the experience? What did Sadie learn?
2. Discuss Bessie's early days at Columbia. Which family member was most helpful to Bessie during that time?
3. What drastic action did the sisters take to care for Nanny?
4. Discuss the Delanys' involvement with the up and coming jazz scene in Harlem.
5. Sadie and Bessie's neighbors in the projects were upset about the actions of the neighborhood kids. How did the sisters react to the issue?
6. Discuss at least two of Bessie's major challenges at Columbia.
7. Discuss Hubie's role in the political arena in New York.
8. Sadie was tricky when it came to getting a job at a high school. What was Sadie's trick? Why was it necessary?
9. As one might expect, Bessie got the last word in the book. What was Bessie's final insight?
10. Discuss the main issue in "Outliving the Rebby Boys."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author says: "Both more than one hundred years old, Sarah ("Sadie") Delany and her sister Annie Elizabeth ("Bessie") Delany are among the oldest living witnesses to American history." (Part 1, page 3) What do you think it would be like to be in that position? Would you want to be one of the oldest living witnesses? What types of things did the sister see first hand that you would consider to be ancient history? Would you record your experiences? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Sadie and Bessie wanted to prove that despite their age, they are still competent women with sharp minds. Many people believe that the elderly have outlived their usefulness. Do you share the opinion that the elderly are "used up?" Do you think that the Delanys still had something to offer either professionally or personally? Explain. Also compare the elderly people you know to the Delany sisters. How are they similar?
Essay Topic 3
Why did the sisters move to New York? What was special about Harlem at that time? What was the Harlem Renaissance? Who was at the forefront of the movement? How did Sadie and Bessie feel about Harlem and New York City in general? How many members of the Delany family lived in Harlem? Who had offices located there? What is Harlem like today?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)