|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item did Nanny often misplace?
2. What type of fruit trees did the Delany sisters have in their yard?
3. Sadie is quoted as saying, "Life is short, and it's up to you to make it ____."
4. Who took possession of Henry's papers and refused to give them up?
5. Who was the first child to die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is written about the assassinations of the famous leaders of the time, particularly those involved in the Civil Rights Movement?
2. Who was Little Hubie? Why was he special? What happened to the child?
3. What does Bessie say about the extra effort that must be put forth by Negroes?
4. Explain Bessie's first practice. Who shared the office suite with Bessie?
5. Who convinced the sisters to move to Westchester? What kind of reception did the sisters receive?
6. Discuss Bessie's early days at Columbia. Which family member was most helpful to Bessie during that time?
7. Discuss how Sadie's knowledge of vitamins and minerals benefited the family over the years.
8. What prompted the family to move to New York? Who moved to the city first? Why?
9. Discuss at least two of Bessie's major challenges at Columbia.
10. Sadie and Bessie's neighbors in the projects were upset about the actions of the neighborhood kids. How did the sisters react to the issue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sadie talks about racism in the black community. Even though the sisters are from the same family, there was a difference in the way they were treated due to the shade of their skin tone. Do you think that the shade of one's skin matters as much today, or are all blacks treated equally? Do you think other races have the same opinions and/or experiences? How did the sisters handle the difference in treatment? How were the other children treated? Why do you think some were lighter than others?
Essay Topic 2
The Delany children were raised in somewhat of a sheltered way. Discuss the childhoods of the children. How were they affected by being so sheltered? What kind of influence did Henry and Nanny have on the way the children viewed the world? How might the children be different if raised in Raleigh proper, or in some unprotected area? What do you think Henry and Nanny might have done to protect their children in a different environment? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Write a complete character description of Bessie. What were Bessie's most significant traits? How was Bessie different than her siblings? How did Bessie fight against racism and gender bias? What was Bessie's profession? Was Bessie's office successful? What is the most memorable thing about Bessie in your eyes?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)