|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would the man do to prompt the child to eat?
2. What was the name of the nephew who had a special place in the hearts of Sadie and Bessie?
3. How old was Bessie when she retired?
4. Who was the first child to die?
5. Who built a house before the sisters moved to the area?
Short Essay Questions
1. The sisters talk about their situation during World War II. Discuss at least one issue the sisters had at that time.
2. Discuss how Sadie's knowledge of vitamins and minerals benefited the family over the years.
3. Discuss Julia's move to New York. How did Julia's presence affect Bessie's attempt to get work?
4. What prompted the family to move to New York? Who moved to the city first? Why?
5. The sisters talk about the deaths in the family. Who died first? Could any of the deaths have been prevented? Explain.
6. Discuss Hubie's role in the political arena in New York.
7. Who was Little Hubie? Why was he special? What happened to the child?
8. Examine the incident with the cottage, Bessie, and the judge.
9. Explain Bessie's first practice. Who shared the office suite with Bessie?
10. What does Bessie say about the extra effort that must be put forth by Negroes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sadie and Bessie wanted to prove that despite their age, they are still competent women with sharp minds. Many people believe that the elderly have outlived their usefulness. Do you share the opinion that the elderly are "used up?" Do you think that the Delanys still had something to offer either professionally or personally? Explain. Also compare the elderly people you know to the Delany sisters. How are they similar?
Essay Topic 2
Bessie refers to the Jim Crow laws as being "an ugly, complicated business." (Part 4, chapter 11, page 69) Discuss Jim Crow. Who was Jim Crow? Was he a real person? What were the Jim Crow laws? When and why were they put into effect? Were the laws state or federal laws? Where were the laws observed? Where were they broken? Why did Bessie think that they were ugly and complicated? Are the Jim Crow laws still in effect? If so, where? How would the laws apply today?
Essay Topic 3
Write a complete character description of Bessie. What were Bessie's most significant traits? How was Bessie different than her siblings? How did Bessie fight against racism and gender bias? What was Bessie's profession? Was Bessie's office successful? What is the most memorable thing about Bessie in your eyes?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)