|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It was common for Bessie to shoo which group away from their street?
2. The sisters tell a story about a young boy who was trying to save the life of which type of bird?
3. Three children died after Nanny's death. In which order did the children die?
4. The Delanys had a great amount of compassion for all but which of the following groups?
5. What was the name of the music teacher often visited by the sisters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss at least two of Bessie's major challenges at Columbia.
2. What is written about the assassinations of the famous leaders of the time, particularly those involved in the Civil Rights Movement?
3. The sisters talk about the deaths in the family. Who died first? Could any of the deaths have been prevented? Explain.
4. How did Nanny's death change Sadie's role in the family? What was the family's reaction to the change?
5. What was the general impression of Harlem in the 1920s and 1930s? What was the other side of the situation?
6. How did the Delanys react to the major changes that were going on around them in Harlem?
7. Who convinced the sisters to move to Westchester? What kind of reception did the sisters receive?
8. Discuss Sadie's difficulties during her first year at Pratt.
9. Sadie relays the story of one of her first experiences in New York regarding strangers. What was the experience? What did Sadie learn?
10. Discuss Hubie's role in the political arena in New York.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did the sisters move to New York? What was special about Harlem at that time? What was the Harlem Renaissance? Who was at the forefront of the movement? How did Sadie and Bessie feel about Harlem and New York City in general? How many members of the Delany family lived in Harlem? Who had offices located there? What is Harlem like today?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Hubert Delany. What was unusual about Hubert's professional career? How did he make a difference as an activist? How did the sisters feel when Hubert became a celebrated government official? What was Hubert's job? What was his role in law making and policy? Where did Hubert serve? What was the relationship between Hubert and his sisters? Which organizations did Hubert support?
Essay Topic 3
The Delany family attended school at St. Augustine's, as did their parents. Discuss in detail St. Augustine's school. Why did Henry and Nanny attend St. Augustine's? What were their majors? What made the Delanys decide to stay there? What kind of education did the children receive at the school? What jobs did Henry and Nanny have? Was St. Augustine's school a religious, private or public school? Where did the children go after leaving St. Augustine's school?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)