|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the nephew who had a special place in the hearts of Sadie and Bessie?
2. What was the cause of Manross' death?
3. In what year did the stock market crash?
4. Which of the following entertainers is not mentioned in this part of the story?
5. Who was the editor of the Amsterdam News?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Delanys react to the major changes that were going on around them in Harlem?
2. Discuss the effect of the Depression on Harlem. Also discuss the end of the Harlem Renaissance.
3. What is written about the assassinations of the famous leaders of the time, particularly those involved in the Civil Rights Movement?
4. Discuss the main issue in "Outliving the Rebby Boys."
5. How did Sadie make extra money in the early years? What dampened the success of the business?
6. Discuss how Sadie's knowledge of vitamins and minerals benefited the family over the years.
7. What does Bessie say about the extra effort that must be put forth by Negroes?
8. As one might expect, Bessie got the last word in the book. What was Bessie's final insight?
9. Who convinced the sisters to move to Westchester? What kind of reception did the sisters receive?
10. Explain Bessie's first practice. Who shared the office suite with Bessie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did the sisters move to New York? What was special about Harlem at that time? What was the Harlem Renaissance? Who was at the forefront of the movement? How did Sadie and Bessie feel about Harlem and New York City in general? How many members of the Delany family lived in Harlem? Who had offices located there? What is Harlem like today?
Essay Topic 2
Bessie and Sadie lived in the house in Mount Vernon for more than 75 years. Discuss in detail how the sisters purchased the house, where it was located, and the demographic of their neighborhood. Who helped to take care of the house? How much did it cost? What features were there to the house that pleased the sisters? What do you think might have happened to the house after the sisters died?
Essay Topic 3
Many people tried to get the sisters to use modern technology. At the time, that meant getting a telephone. Explain why the sisters refused to have a phone. What was their reason? What might happen if there was an emergency? How do you think the sisters would have reacted to today's modern technology? Do you think either would have given in and tried some of the new gadgets on the market today?
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)