|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bessie gave which of the following a "comeuppance" over the ordeal?
2. Bessie remarks that the Civil Rights Movement suffered from ______ after Martin Luther King, Jr. died.
3. "Outliving the ____ Boys" details the end of the Jim Crow era.
4. Who built a house before the sisters moved to the area?
5. What happened to the cottage in the end?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who convinced the sisters to move to Westchester? What kind of reception did the sisters receive?
2. How did the Delanys react to the major changes that were going on around them in Harlem?
3. Discuss Julia's move to New York. How did Julia's presence affect Bessie's attempt to get work?
4. How did Sadie make extra money in the early years? What dampened the success of the business?
5. Discuss at least two of Bessie's major challenges at Columbia.
6. The sisters talk about their situation during World War II. Discuss at least one issue the sisters had at that time.
7. Explain Bessie's first practice. Who shared the office suite with Bessie?
8. What prompted the family to move to New York? Who moved to the city first? Why?
9. Sadie and Bessie's neighbors in the projects were upset about the actions of the neighborhood kids. How did the sisters react to the issue?
10. How did Nanny's death change Sadie's role in the family? What was the family's reaction to the change?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Bessie's dental practice. Although Bessie was a strong business woman, she also paid heed to her Episcopal upbringing. Discuss how Bessie honored her parents and her religion through her work. What kinds of services did Bessie offer to the locals? What did she receive in return? Do you think Bessie made good business decisions?
Essay Topic 2
Bessie refers to the Jim Crow laws as being "an ugly, complicated business." (Part 4, chapter 11, page 69) Discuss Jim Crow. Who was Jim Crow? Was he a real person? What were the Jim Crow laws? When and why were they put into effect? Were the laws state or federal laws? Where were the laws observed? Where were they broken? Why did Bessie think that they were ugly and complicated? Are the Jim Crow laws still in effect? If so, where? How would the laws apply today?
Essay Topic 3
Sadie and Bessie wanted to prove that despite their age, they are still competent women with sharp minds. Many people believe that the elderly have outlived their usefulness. Do you share the opinion that the elderly are "used up?" Do you think that the Delanys still had something to offer either professionally or personally? Explain. Also compare the elderly people you know to the Delany sisters. How are they similar?
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)