|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hap's wife convinced the sisters to move to which area?
2. Despite the little boy's physical problems it was obvious that he possessed ______.
3. It was decided that Sadie would work until age ____.
4. The Delanys had a great amount of compassion for all but which of the following groups?
5. What kind of garden did the family plant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss at least two of Bessie's major challenges at Columbia.
2. As one might expect, Bessie got the last word in the book. What was Bessie's final insight?
3. Discuss Bessie's early days at Columbia. Which family member was most helpful to Bessie during that time?
4. How did Sadie make extra money in the early years? What dampened the success of the business?
5. What was the general impression of Harlem in the 1920s and 1930s? What was the other side of the situation?
6. How did the Delanys react to the major changes that were going on around them in Harlem?
7. Sadie relays the story of one of her first experiences in New York regarding strangers. What was the experience? What did Sadie learn?
8. Who convinced the sisters to move to Westchester? What kind of reception did the sisters receive?
9. Who was Little Hubie? Why was he special? What happened to the child?
10. Sadie was tricky when it came to getting a job at a high school. What was Sadie's trick? Why was it necessary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Interracial relationships were not common in the late 1800s. Examine the relationship between Mr. Miliam and Nanny's mother. What were the specifics of the relationship? Was Nanny treated differently because her father was a white man? Did Miliam's wealth have anything to do with the level of acceptance in the relationship? Why was the couple never married? How might the same relationship be viewed today? How did the relationship affect Miliam's inheritance to Nanny and the children? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Bessie refers to the Jim Crow laws as being "an ugly, complicated business." (Part 4, chapter 11, page 69) Discuss Jim Crow. Who was Jim Crow? Was he a real person? What were the Jim Crow laws? When and why were they put into effect? Were the laws state or federal laws? Where were the laws observed? Where were they broken? Why did Bessie think that they were ugly and complicated? Are the Jim Crow laws still in effect? If so, where? How would the laws apply today?
Essay Topic 3
Why did the sisters move to New York? What was special about Harlem at that time? What was the Harlem Renaissance? Who was at the forefront of the movement? How did Sadie and Bessie feel about Harlem and New York City in general? How many members of the Delany family lived in Harlem? Who had offices located there? What is Harlem like today?
This section contains 1,228 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)