|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Julia was proficient in playing which instrument?
2. In what month did the event occur?
3. What is another name for an act of revitalization?
4. Despite the little boy's physical problems it was obvious that he possessed ______.
5. What was the surname of the woman who sparked great controversy in the fight against segregation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What drastic action did the sisters take to care for Nanny?
2. Discuss the Delanys' involvement with the up and coming jazz scene in Harlem.
3. Discuss the effect of the Depression on Harlem. Also discuss the end of the Harlem Renaissance.
4. Examine the effect Nanny's death had on Sadie.
5. Discuss Sadie's difficulties during her first year at Pratt.
6. Discuss Julia's move to New York. How did Julia's presence affect Bessie's attempt to get work?
7. Discuss Bessie's early days at Columbia. Which family member was most helpful to Bessie during that time?
8. The sisters talk about the deaths in the family. Who died first? Could any of the deaths have been prevented? Explain.
9. What was the general impression of Harlem in the 1920s and 1930s? What was the other side of the situation?
10. Sadie and Bessie's neighbors in the projects were upset about the actions of the neighborhood kids. How did the sisters react to the issue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a complete character description of Bessie. What were Bessie's most significant traits? How was Bessie different than her siblings? How did Bessie fight against racism and gender bias? What was Bessie's profession? Was Bessie's office successful? What is the most memorable thing about Bessie in your eyes?
Essay Topic 2
The Delanys were a family of professional people, which was almost unheard of in their early careers. The women often faced additional challenges because of their gender as well as their race. How do you think the atmosphere of the professional world has changed since Sadie and Bessie's time? Have the values of professional women changed since the Delany sisters' heyday? Why do you think the sisters were so adamant about pursuing careers instead of marriage? Do you think the Delany sisters were unusual or before their time?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the professional careers of all ten children. Begin with the oldest and end with the youngest. How many were involved in the same or similar professions? Did any take after Henry or Nanny in their career choices? Explain.
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)