|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The sisters tell a story about a young boy who was trying to save the life of which type of bird?
2. Hap's wife convinced the sisters to move to which area?
3. What was the name of Bessie's boyfriend at the time?
4. The Delanys had a great amount of compassion for all but which of the following groups?
5. Hubert was active in which famous organization?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the main issue in "Outliving the Rebby Boys."
2. Examine the incident with the cottage, Bessie, and the judge.
3. Discuss Bessie's early days at Columbia. Which family member was most helpful to Bessie during that time?
4. Sadie was tricky when it came to getting a job at a high school. What was Sadie's trick? Why was it necessary?
5. Who convinced the sisters to move to Westchester? What kind of reception did the sisters receive?
6. What is written about the assassinations of the famous leaders of the time, particularly those involved in the Civil Rights Movement?
7. Discuss the Delanys' involvement with the up and coming jazz scene in Harlem.
8. Discuss Julia's move to New York. How did Julia's presence affect Bessie's attempt to get work?
9. The sisters talk about the deaths in the family. Who died first? Could any of the deaths have been prevented? Explain.
10. How did the Delanys react to the major changes that were going on around them in Harlem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sadie talks about racism in the black community. Even though the sisters are from the same family, there was a difference in the way they were treated due to the shade of their skin tone. Do you think that the shade of one's skin matters as much today, or are all blacks treated equally? Do you think other races have the same opinions and/or experiences? How did the sisters handle the difference in treatment? How were the other children treated? Why do you think some were lighter than others?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Bessie's dental practice. Although Bessie was a strong business woman, she also paid heed to her Episcopal upbringing. Discuss how Bessie honored her parents and her religion through her work. What kinds of services did Bessie offer to the locals? What did she receive in return? Do you think Bessie made good business decisions?
Essay Topic 3
The author says: "Both more than one hundred years old, Sarah ("Sadie") Delany and her sister Annie Elizabeth ("Bessie") Delany are among the oldest living witnesses to American history." (Part 1, page 3) What do you think it would be like to be in that position? Would you want to be one of the oldest living witnesses? What types of things did the sister see first hand that you would consider to be ancient history? Would you record your experiences? Explain.
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)