|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the nephew who had a special place in the hearts of Sadie and Bessie?
2. Manross was refused entry to a white family's home even though he had _____.
3. In what year did this event occur?
4. The family was worried when the nephew went from the family home in Harlem to boot camp in which Southern state?
5. Which of the following groups was not represented in the projects?
Short Essay Questions
1. The sisters talk about their situation during World War II. Discuss at least one issue the sisters had at that time.
2. What is written about the assassinations of the famous leaders of the time, particularly those involved in the Civil Rights Movement?
3. How did Sadie make extra money in the early years? What dampened the success of the business?
4. Discuss the main issue in "Outliving the Rebby Boys."
5. Discuss Julia's move to New York. How did Julia's presence affect Bessie's attempt to get work?
6. Sadie and Bessie's neighbors in the projects were upset about the actions of the neighborhood kids. How did the sisters react to the issue?
7. Discuss how Sadie's knowledge of vitamins and minerals benefited the family over the years.
8. Discuss the Delanys' involvement with the up and coming jazz scene in Harlem.
9. How did the Delanys react to the major changes that were going on around them in Harlem?
10. What drastic action did the sisters take to care for Nanny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sadie talks about racism in the black community. Even though the sisters are from the same family, there was a difference in the way they were treated due to the shade of their skin tone. Do you think that the shade of one's skin matters as much today, or are all blacks treated equally? Do you think other races have the same opinions and/or experiences? How did the sisters handle the difference in treatment? How were the other children treated? Why do you think some were lighter than others?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Bessie's dental practice. Although Bessie was a strong business woman, she also paid heed to her Episcopal upbringing. Discuss how Bessie honored her parents and her religion through her work. What kinds of services did Bessie offer to the locals? What did she receive in return? Do you think Bessie made good business decisions?
Essay Topic 3
Bessie and Sadie lived in the house in Mount Vernon for more than 75 years. Discuss in detail how the sisters purchased the house, where it was located, and the demographic of their neighborhood. Who helped to take care of the house? How much did it cost? What features were there to the house that pleased the sisters? What do you think might have happened to the house after the sisters died?
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)