|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bessie says that she thought Martin Luther King, Jr. was a(n) _____.
2. In what month did the crash take place?
3. Where did the sisters live when their house was condemned by the government?
4. How old was Nanny at this point?
5. Hap's wife convinced the sisters to move to which area?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompted the family to move to New York? Who moved to the city first? Why?
2. Discuss the Delanys' involvement with the up and coming jazz scene in Harlem.
3. Discuss Julia's move to New York. How did Julia's presence affect Bessie's attempt to get work?
4. What was the general impression of Harlem in the 1920s and 1930s? What was the other side of the situation?
5. Sadie relays the story of one of her first experiences in New York regarding strangers. What was the experience? What did Sadie learn?
6. Who was Little Hubie? Why was he special? What happened to the child?
7. The sisters talk about the deaths in the family. Who died first? Could any of the deaths have been prevented? Explain.
8. Explain Bessie's first practice. Who shared the office suite with Bessie?
9. Discuss Sadie's difficulties during her first year at Pratt.
10. Sadie was tricky when it came to getting a job at a high school. What was Sadie's trick? Why was it necessary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many people tried to get the sisters to use modern technology. At the time, that meant getting a telephone. Explain why the sisters refused to have a phone. What was their reason? What might happen if there was an emergency? How do you think the sisters would have reacted to today's modern technology? Do you think either would have given in and tried some of the new gadgets on the market today?
Essay Topic 2
Write a complete character description of Bessie. What were Bessie's most significant traits? How was Bessie different than her siblings? How did Bessie fight against racism and gender bias? What was Bessie's profession? Was Bessie's office successful? What is the most memorable thing about Bessie in your eyes?
Essay Topic 3
Write a complete character description of Sadie. What were Sadie's most significant traits? How was Sadie different than her siblings? How did Sadie fight against racism and gender bias? What was Sadie's profession? Was Sadie successful in her career? What is the most memorable thing about Sadie in your eyes?
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)