|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Julia go to school?
2. How many cases did Hubert prosecute during his career?
3. What was the husband's occupation?
4. Which one of the following was a treat the sisters would make for the neighborhood children?
5. It was common for Bessie to shoo which group away from their street?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Sadie's difficulties during her first year at Pratt.
2. The sisters talk about the deaths in the family. Who died first? Could any of the deaths have been prevented? Explain.
3. How did Sadie make extra money in the early years? What dampened the success of the business?
4. What does Bessie say about the extra effort that must be put forth by Negroes?
5. Discuss Hubie's role in the political arena in New York.
6. Discuss Julia's move to New York. How did Julia's presence affect Bessie's attempt to get work?
7. Discuss the Delanys' involvement with the up and coming jazz scene in Harlem.
8. As one might expect, Bessie got the last word in the book. What was Bessie's final insight?
9. Discuss Bessie's early days at Columbia. Which family member was most helpful to Bessie during that time?
10. What drastic action did the sisters take to care for Nanny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many people tried to get the sisters to use modern technology. At the time, that meant getting a telephone. Explain why the sisters refused to have a phone. What was their reason? What might happen if there was an emergency? How do you think the sisters would have reacted to today's modern technology? Do you think either would have given in and tried some of the new gadgets on the market today?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the deaths of Henry and Nanny Delany. Who died first? How did each parent die? When? Who was the first to find out? Who was responsible for telling the rest of the family? What types of funeral arrangements were made? What happened to the surviving parent? How did the lives of the Delany children change after the deaths of the parents? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Write a complete character description of Bessie. What were Bessie's most significant traits? How was Bessie different than her siblings? How did Bessie fight against racism and gender bias? What was Bessie's profession? Was Bessie's office successful? What is the most memorable thing about Bessie in your eyes?
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)