|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Manross was refused entry to a white family's home even though he had _____.
2. Which one of the following was a treat the sisters would make for the neighborhood children?
3. According to the sisters, Nanny's judgment was often _____.
4. Sadie is quoted as saying, "Life is short, and it's up to you to make it ____."
5. Who was the first child to die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Sadie's difficulties during her first year at Pratt.
2. Discuss the main issue in "Outliving the Rebby Boys."
3. Explain Bessie's first practice. Who shared the office suite with Bessie?
4. Who convinced the sisters to move to Westchester? What kind of reception did the sisters receive?
5. Discuss Bessie's early days at Columbia. Which family member was most helpful to Bessie during that time?
6. Discuss the effect of the Depression on Harlem. Also discuss the end of the Harlem Renaissance.
7. Discuss at least two of Bessie's major challenges at Columbia.
8. How did Nanny's death change Sadie's role in the family? What was the family's reaction to the change?
9. Discuss how Sadie's knowledge of vitamins and minerals benefited the family over the years.
10. What does Bessie say about the extra effort that must be put forth by Negroes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Bessie's dental practice. Although Bessie was a strong business woman, she also paid heed to her Episcopal upbringing. Discuss how Bessie honored her parents and her religion through her work. What kinds of services did Bessie offer to the locals? What did she receive in return? Do you think Bessie made good business decisions?
Essay Topic 2
Many people tried to get the sisters to use modern technology. At the time, that meant getting a telephone. Explain why the sisters refused to have a phone. What was their reason? What might happen if there was an emergency? How do you think the sisters would have reacted to today's modern technology? Do you think either would have given in and tried some of the new gadgets on the market today?
Essay Topic 3
Write a complete character description of Bessie. What were Bessie's most significant traits? How was Bessie different than her siblings? How did Bessie fight against racism and gender bias? What was Bessie's profession? Was Bessie's office successful? What is the most memorable thing about Bessie in your eyes?
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)