|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Bessie when she retired?
2. What word is used that means the same as angry?
3. What was the occupation of the child's father?
4. The Delany in the service helped to build which famous road?
5. It was decided that Sadie would work until age ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. As one might expect, Bessie got the last word in the book. What was Bessie's final insight?
2. Sadie and Bessie's neighbors in the projects were upset about the actions of the neighborhood kids. How did the sisters react to the issue?
3. Sadie was tricky when it came to getting a job at a high school. What was Sadie's trick? Why was it necessary?
4. Discuss Bessie's early days at Columbia. Which family member was most helpful to Bessie during that time?
5. The sisters talk about the deaths in the family. Who died first? Could any of the deaths have been prevented? Explain.
6. Discuss at least two of Bessie's major challenges at Columbia.
7. Discuss how Sadie's knowledge of vitamins and minerals benefited the family over the years.
8. Examine the effect Nanny's death had on Sadie.
9. Discuss Sadie's difficulties during her first year at Pratt.
10. Discuss the main issue in "Outliving the Rebby Boys."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the professional careers of all ten children. Begin with the oldest and end with the youngest. How many were involved in the same or similar professions? Did any take after Henry or Nanny in their career choices? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Interracial relationships were not common in the late 1800s. Examine the relationship between Mr. Miliam and Nanny's mother. What were the specifics of the relationship? Was Nanny treated differently because her father was a white man? Did Miliam's wealth have anything to do with the level of acceptance in the relationship? Why was the couple never married? How might the same relationship be viewed today? How did the relationship affect Miliam's inheritance to Nanny and the children? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Sadie and Bessie wanted to prove that despite their age, they are still competent women with sharp minds. Many people believe that the elderly have outlived their usefulness. Do you share the opinion that the elderly are "used up?" Do you think that the Delanys still had something to offer either professionally or personally? Explain. Also compare the elderly people you know to the Delany sisters. How are they similar?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)