|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the famous club in Harlem that catered to whites?
2. What was the woman's first name?
3. Bessie objects to which of the following due to her age?
4. Who took possession of Henry's papers and refused to give them up?
5. Bessie gave which of the following a "comeuppance" over the ordeal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the effect of the Depression on Harlem. Also discuss the end of the Harlem Renaissance.
2. Examine the effect Nanny's death had on Sadie.
3. Who convinced the sisters to move to Westchester? What kind of reception did the sisters receive?
4. How did Nanny's death change Sadie's role in the family? What was the family's reaction to the change?
5. Who was Little Hubie? Why was he special? What happened to the child?
6. The sisters talk about the deaths in the family. Who died first? Could any of the deaths have been prevented? Explain.
7. Sadie and Bessie's neighbors in the projects were upset about the actions of the neighborhood kids. How did the sisters react to the issue?
8. Discuss Julia's move to New York. How did Julia's presence affect Bessie's attempt to get work?
9. What does Bessie say about the extra effort that must be put forth by Negroes?
10. What drastic action did the sisters take to care for Nanny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the professional careers of all ten children. Begin with the oldest and end with the youngest. How many were involved in the same or similar professions? Did any take after Henry or Nanny in their career choices? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Even at their advanced ages Bessie and Sadie are completely independent. The sisters say that many people do not believe that they do not have a maid or helpers of any kind. Explain why people are so surprised at the sisters' level of independence. Do you think they could handle any situation that would arise at their home? Who helped with outside chores such as banking and grocery shopping? How were the neighbors involved in the sisters' lives?
Essay Topic 3
Why did the sisters move to New York? What was special about Harlem at that time? What was the Harlem Renaissance? Who was at the forefront of the movement? How did Sadie and Bessie feel about Harlem and New York City in general? How many members of the Delany family lived in Harlem? Who had offices located there? What is Harlem like today?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)