|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did the child die?
2. How old was the child when he died?
3. Sadie often shopped at what kind of store?
4. Which of the following entertainers is not mentioned in this part of the story?
5. What was the name of Julia's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. Sadie relays the story of one of her first experiences in New York regarding strangers. What was the experience? What did Sadie learn?
2. The sisters talk about their situation during World War II. Discuss at least one issue the sisters had at that time.
3. Examine the incident with the cottage, Bessie, and the judge.
4. Explain Bessie's first practice. Who shared the office suite with Bessie?
5. Examine the effect Nanny's death had on Sadie.
6. Who was Little Hubie? Why was he special? What happened to the child?
7. The sisters talk about the deaths in the family. Who died first? Could any of the deaths have been prevented? Explain.
8. Discuss Julia's move to New York. How did Julia's presence affect Bessie's attempt to get work?
9. Sadie and Bessie's neighbors in the projects were upset about the actions of the neighborhood kids. How did the sisters react to the issue?
10. What does Bessie say about the extra effort that must be put forth by Negroes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bessie refers to the Jim Crow laws as being "an ugly, complicated business." (Part 4, chapter 11, page 69) Discuss Jim Crow. Who was Jim Crow? Was he a real person? What were the Jim Crow laws? When and why were they put into effect? Were the laws state or federal laws? Where were the laws observed? Where were they broken? Why did Bessie think that they were ugly and complicated? Are the Jim Crow laws still in effect? If so, where? How would the laws apply today?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Hubert Delany. What was unusual about Hubert's professional career? How did he make a difference as an activist? How did the sisters feel when Hubert became a celebrated government official? What was Hubert's job? What was his role in law making and policy? Where did Hubert serve? What was the relationship between Hubert and his sisters? Which organizations did Hubert support?
Essay Topic 3
Bessie jokes that the reason she and Sadie have lived so long was due to the fact that neither ever got married. Do you think there is any truth to that statement? Did Bessie mean what she said or was she joking? Why do you think neither sister ever married? How was that choice viewed by the rest of the family? Did either have a boyfriend? How might things have changed if one or both of the sisters had married? Explain.
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)