|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Bessie's boyfriend at the time?
2. Sadie is quoted as saying, "Life is short, and it's up to you to make it ____."
3. In what year did the child die?
4. In what year did Bessie open her dental practice?
5. The sisters tell a story about a young boy who was trying to save the life of which type of bird?
Short Essay Questions
1. What drastic action did the sisters take to care for Nanny?
2. Sadie and Bessie's neighbors in the projects were upset about the actions of the neighborhood kids. How did the sisters react to the issue?
3. Sadie was tricky when it came to getting a job at a high school. What was Sadie's trick? Why was it necessary?
4. Who convinced the sisters to move to Westchester? What kind of reception did the sisters receive?
5. What prompted the family to move to New York? Who moved to the city first? Why?
6. How did Nanny's death change Sadie's role in the family? What was the family's reaction to the change?
7. Explain Bessie's first practice. Who shared the office suite with Bessie?
8. Discuss at least two of Bessie's major challenges at Columbia.
9. Discuss the main issue in "Outliving the Rebby Boys."
10. How did the Delanys react to the major changes that were going on around them in Harlem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author says: "Both more than one hundred years old, Sarah ("Sadie") Delany and her sister Annie Elizabeth ("Bessie") Delany are among the oldest living witnesses to American history." (Part 1, page 3) What do you think it would be like to be in that position? Would you want to be one of the oldest living witnesses? What types of things did the sister see first hand that you would consider to be ancient history? Would you record your experiences? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Bessie and Sadie lived in the house in Mount Vernon for more than 75 years. Discuss in detail how the sisters purchased the house, where it was located, and the demographic of their neighborhood. Who helped to take care of the house? How much did it cost? What features were there to the house that pleased the sisters? What do you think might have happened to the house after the sisters died?
Essay Topic 3
Bessie jokes that the reason she and Sadie have lived so long was due to the fact that neither ever got married. Do you think there is any truth to that statement? Did Bessie mean what she said or was she joking? Why do you think neither sister ever married? How was that choice viewed by the rest of the family? Did either have a boyfriend? How might things have changed if one or both of the sisters had married? Explain.
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)