|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state were the Delanys raised?
2. What was the name of Sadie's first serious boyfriend?
3. What was Bessie's profession?
4. Which of the following was not mentioned as one of the other diseases to strike St. Aug's school?
5. Which famous activist often visited Raleigh?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the age and relationship between the two sisters.
2. How was Henry Delany presented with the opportunity to go to college? What major life change was Henry asked to make?
3. Which segment of the population did not readily accept or celebrate the Delanys' successes?
4. Sadie talks about the drawbacks of being old. Discuss at least two references Sadie makes to her advanced age.
5. Discuss the wedding of Henry and Nanny Delany.
6. Where did Henry and Nanny meet? What was unusual about their wedding?
7. What prevented people from harassing Nanny's grandparents? What major issue occurred after the death of Mr. Miliam?
8. What was the reaction of many slaves when slavery ended? What did the slaves do upon being freed?
9. What about the Delany sisters surprises most people? What is the general opinion of the Delany sisters' neighbors?
10. Who was the Mock family? How were they important to the Delanys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Bessie's dental practice. Although Bessie was a strong business woman, she also paid heed to her Episcopal upbringing. Discuss how Bessie honored her parents and her religion through her work. What kinds of services did Bessie offer to the locals? What did she receive in return? Do you think Bessie made good business decisions?
Essay Topic 2
The Delanys were a family of professional people, which was almost unheard of in their early careers. The women often faced additional challenges because of their gender as well as their race. How do you think the atmosphere of the professional world has changed since Sadie and Bessie's time? Have the values of professional women changed since the Delany sisters' heyday? Why do you think the sisters were so adamant about pursuing careers instead of marriage? Do you think the Delany sisters were unusual or before their time?
Essay Topic 3
Write a complete character description of Bessie. What were Bessie's most significant traits? How was Bessie different than her siblings? How did Bessie fight against racism and gender bias? What was Bessie's profession? Was Bessie's office successful? What is the most memorable thing about Bessie in your eyes?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)