|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nanny stood up to a woman for calling her ____, a common insult at the time.
2. Although the sisters can be very different, they are _____.
3. The writer was the daughter of which famous singer?
4. What is the word used that means those who tend to say negative things about others?
5. Which one of the following was a main goal of the Jim Crow laws?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an issue-free Negro? What is the difference between an issue-free slave and a freed slave?
2. What gift of Bessie's was not readily acknowledged? Why was it kept under wraps?
3. What does the author say about Sadie and Bessie in regards to their age and view of history?
4. Where did Henry and Nanny meet? What was unusual about their wedding?
5. Discuss the births of the ten children, including their full names and birth years.
6. How was Henry Delany presented with the opportunity to go to college? What major life change was Henry asked to make?
7. What prevented people from harassing Nanny's grandparents? What major issue occurred after the death of Mr. Miliam?
8. What was the public opinion of Henry Delany during his career? What changed the way people viewed the Delany family?
9. Discuss the age and relationship between the two sisters.
10. The book details the history of Nanny Logan Delany's family. What was unusual about the family dynamic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a complete character description of Bessie. What were Bessie's most significant traits? How was Bessie different than her siblings? How did Bessie fight against racism and gender bias? What was Bessie's profession? Was Bessie's office successful? What is the most memorable thing about Bessie in your eyes?
Essay Topic 2
Although the Delany family had many admirers, they also had detractors. Examine the type of person that might be most likely to detract from the family's accomplishments. Why do you think some of the lower class black families were resentful of the Delanys? Were they jealous? Did they have the same ambition or opportunities? Why did some think the family was trying to live in a white man's world? What does it mean when people said that the Delanys were trying to live above their station? How did the Delanys react to their supporters and detractors? What is your opinion?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Hubert Delany. What was unusual about Hubert's professional career? How did he make a difference as an activist? How did the sisters feel when Hubert became a celebrated government official? What was Hubert's job? What was his role in law making and policy? Where did Hubert serve? What was the relationship between Hubert and his sisters? Which organizations did Hubert support?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)