|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Neither sister had ever _____.
2. Where did the sisters live?
3. Which famous activist often visited Raleigh?
4. The writer was the daughter of which famous singer?
5. The sisters felt that going to the doctor would benefit them little and that they would most likely be treated like a _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Julia's move to New York. How did Julia's presence affect Bessie's attempt to get work?
2. Discuss how Sadie's knowledge of vitamins and minerals benefited the family over the years.
3. How did Nanny's death change Sadie's role in the family? What was the family's reaction to the change?
4. What was the general impression of Harlem in the 1920s and 1930s? What was the other side of the situation?
5. What was the marital status of the sisters? What was their explanation?
6. Discuss the effect of the Depression on Harlem. Also discuss the end of the Harlem Renaissance.
7. Who convinced the sisters to move to Westchester? What kind of reception did the sisters receive?
8. Examine Henry's offer to go to college. When did it occur? What concessions would Henry have to make?
9. Henry Beard Delany was born a slave on a Georgia plantation. Examine the Delanys' role in the household. When was Henry freed?
10. What was different about the Delany family compared to other black families in the South?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bessie and Sadie lived in the house in Mount Vernon for more than 75 years. Discuss in detail how the sisters purchased the house, where it was located, and the demographic of their neighborhood. Who helped to take care of the house? How much did it cost? What features were there to the house that pleased the sisters? What do you think might have happened to the house after the sisters died?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Bessie's dental practice. Although Bessie was a strong business woman, she also paid heed to her Episcopal upbringing. Discuss how Bessie honored her parents and her religion through her work. What kinds of services did Bessie offer to the locals? What did she receive in return? Do you think Bessie made good business decisions?
Essay Topic 3
Even at their advanced ages Bessie and Sadie are completely independent. The sisters say that many people do not believe that they do not have a maid or helpers of any kind. Explain why people are so surprised at the sisters' level of independence. Do you think they could handle any situation that would arise at their home? Who helped with outside chores such as banking and grocery shopping? How were the neighbors involved in the sisters' lives?
This section contains 2,311 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)