|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The reason for the refusal was that the members of the organization thought Sadie was ____.
2. What is a more common name for a "bull-bat?"
3. What city did the Delanys refer to as their hometown?
4. In what month was Sadie born?
5. Neither sister had ever _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What gift of Bessie's was not readily acknowledged? Why was it kept under wraps?
2. Discuss Jim Crow Days. When did they occur? What was changed by the laws?
3. Discuss the wedding of Henry and Nanny Delany.
4. The living arrangements for the sisters were somewhat unusual considering their respective ages. What was the arrangement?
5. Which segment of the population did not readily accept or celebrate the Delanys' successes?
6. How was Henry Delany presented with the opportunity to go to college? What major life change was Henry asked to make?
7. What does the author say about Sadie and Bessie in regards to their age and view of history?
8. What is the reputation Bessie created for herself? What does Bessie think will happen to her when she dies?
9. What was different about the Delany family compared to other black families in the South?
10. What is an issue-free Negro? What is the difference between an issue-free slave and a freed slave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many people tried to get the sisters to use modern technology. At the time, that meant getting a telephone. Explain why the sisters refused to have a phone. What was their reason? What might happen if there was an emergency? How do you think the sisters would have reacted to today's modern technology? Do you think either would have given in and tried some of the new gadgets on the market today?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Bessie's dental practice. Although Bessie was a strong business woman, she also paid heed to her Episcopal upbringing. Discuss how Bessie honored her parents and her religion through her work. What kinds of services did Bessie offer to the locals? What did she receive in return? Do you think Bessie made good business decisions?
Essay Topic 3
Write a complete character description of Sadie. What were Sadie's most significant traits? How was Sadie different than her siblings? How did Sadie fight against racism and gender bias? What was Sadie's profession? Was Sadie successful in her career? What is the most memorable thing about Sadie in your eyes?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)