|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the little girl in the next bed?
2. What did the Delanys call racist white men?
3. It is widely believed that the Jim Crow laws were responsible for introducing which of the following?
4. The owner of the house did all but which of the following jobs?
5. Which one of the following was a main goal of the Jim Crow laws?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of school is St. Augustine's? When was it established? Where is it located?
2. Henry Beard Delany was born a slave on a Georgia plantation. Examine the Delanys' role in the household. When was Henry freed?
3. What was the reaction of many slaves when slavery ended? What did the slaves do upon being freed?
4. Discuss Jim Crow Days. When did they occur? What was changed by the laws?
5. Who was the Mock family? How were they important to the Delanys?
6. Discuss the ages and situation between Sadie and Bessie.
7. What gift of Bessie's was not readily acknowledged? Why was it kept under wraps?
8. How was Henry Delany presented with the opportunity to go to college? What major life change was Henry asked to make?
9. How old was Henry Delany when he was freed? How was Henry affected?
10. What actions did the Mocks take that was illegal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even at their advanced ages Bessie and Sadie are completely independent. The sisters say that many people do not believe that they do not have a maid or helpers of any kind. Explain why people are so surprised at the sisters' level of independence. Do you think they could handle any situation that would arise at their home? Who helped with outside chores such as banking and grocery shopping? How were the neighbors involved in the sisters' lives?
Essay Topic 2
Bessie refers to the Jim Crow laws as being "an ugly, complicated business." (Part 4, chapter 11, page 69) Discuss Jim Crow. Who was Jim Crow? Was he a real person? What were the Jim Crow laws? When and why were they put into effect? Were the laws state or federal laws? Where were the laws observed? Where were they broken? Why did Bessie think that they were ugly and complicated? Are the Jim Crow laws still in effect? If so, where? How would the laws apply today?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Hubert Delany. What was unusual about Hubert's professional career? How did he make a difference as an activist? How did the sisters feel when Hubert became a celebrated government official? What was Hubert's job? What was his role in law making and policy? Where did Hubert serve? What was the relationship between Hubert and his sisters? Which organizations did Hubert support?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)