|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state were the Delanys raised?
2. How old is Sadie?
3. The women rarely used which of the following?
4. In what year did Henry become a bishop?
5. The sisters felt that going to the doctor would benefit them little and that they would most likely be treated like a _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of school is St. Augustine's? When was it established? Where is it located?
2. What is the reputation Bessie created for herself? What does Bessie think will happen to her when she dies?
3. What is an issue-free Negro? What is the difference between an issue-free slave and a freed slave?
4. Discuss the age and relationship between the two sisters.
5. What was the public opinion of Henry Delany during his career? What changed the way people viewed the Delany family?
6. Discuss the wedding of Henry and Nanny Delany.
7. Name at least one thing that bothered Bessie the most about the rebbys.
8. How old was Henry Delany when he was freed? How was Henry affected?
9. What prevented people from harassing Nanny's grandparents? What major issue occurred after the death of Mr. Miliam?
10. What actions did the Mocks take that was illegal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Hubert Delany. What was unusual about Hubert's professional career? How did he make a difference as an activist? How did the sisters feel when Hubert became a celebrated government official? What was Hubert's job? What was his role in law making and policy? Where did Hubert serve? What was the relationship between Hubert and his sisters? Which organizations did Hubert support?
Essay Topic 2
Write a complete character description of Bessie. What were Bessie's most significant traits? How was Bessie different than her siblings? How did Bessie fight against racism and gender bias? What was Bessie's profession? Was Bessie's office successful? What is the most memorable thing about Bessie in your eyes?
Essay Topic 3
Many people tried to get the sisters to use modern technology. At the time, that meant getting a telephone. Explain why the sisters refused to have a phone. What was their reason? What might happen if there was an emergency? How do you think the sisters would have reacted to today's modern technology? Do you think either would have given in and tried some of the new gadgets on the market today?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)