|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Mr. Delany when he was freed from slavery?
2. The sisters absolutely refuse to have a ____.
3. How old is Bessie?
4. Mr. Delany often told Bessie that she could catch more flies with ____ than with vinegar.
5. Jim Crow was a well known ____ character.
Short Essay Questions
1. Henry Beard Delany was born a slave on a Georgia plantation. Examine the Delanys' role in the household. When was Henry freed?
2. How old was Henry Delany when he was freed? How was Henry affected?
3. As one might expect, Bessie got the last word in the book. What was Bessie's final insight?
4. Who was the Mock family? How were they important to the Delanys?
5. What prompted the family to move to New York? Who moved to the city first? Why?
6. What actions did the Mocks take that was illegal?
7. What is Bessie's opinion of whites? Who was responsible for giving whites a bad name in the eyes of the Negro?
8. Discuss at least two of Bessie's major challenges at Columbia.
9. What was the marital status of the sisters? What was their explanation?
10. What about the Delany sisters surprises most people? What is the general opinion of the Delany sisters' neighbors?
Essay Topic 1
Why did the sisters move to New York? What was special about Harlem at that time? What was the Harlem Renaissance? Who was at the forefront of the movement? How did Sadie and Bessie feel about Harlem and New York City in general? How many members of the Delany family lived in Harlem? Who had offices located there? What is Harlem like today?
Essay Topic 2
Sadie and Bessie wanted to prove that despite their age, they are still competent women with sharp minds. Many people believe that the elderly have outlived their usefulness. Do you share the opinion that the elderly are "used up?" Do you think that the Delanys still had something to offer either professionally or personally? Explain. Also compare the elderly people you know to the Delany sisters. How are they similar?
Essay Topic 3
Write a complete character description of Bessie. What were Bessie's most significant traits? How was Bessie different than her siblings? How did Bessie fight against racism and gender bias? What was Bessie's profession? Was Bessie's office successful? What is the most memorable thing about Bessie in your eyes?
This section contains 2,280 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)