|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word is best used to describe Bessie?
2. Which one of the following was a main goal of the Jim Crow laws?
3. What was the name of Sadie's first serious boyfriend?
4. Which of the following adjectives was often used by the neighbors to describe the sisters?
5. Where was Henry Delany born?
Short Essay Questions
1. The living arrangements for the sisters were somewhat unusual considering their respective ages. What was the arrangement?
2. What gift of Bessie's was not readily acknowledged? Why was it kept under wraps?
3. Henry Beard Delany was born a slave on a Georgia plantation. Examine the Delanys' role in the household. When was Henry freed?
4. Discuss the births of the ten children, including their full names and birth years.
5. What was the marital status of the sisters? What was their explanation?
6. Who was the Mock family? How were they important to the Delanys?
7. What two major events were the death knells of Jim Crow?
8. How was Henry Delany presented with the opportunity to go to college? What major life change was Henry asked to make?
9. What was the reaction of many slaves when slavery ended? What did the slaves do upon being freed?
10. How old was Henry Delany when he was freed? How was Henry affected?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bessie refers to the Jim Crow laws as being "an ugly, complicated business." (Part 4, chapter 11, page 69) Discuss Jim Crow. Who was Jim Crow? Was he a real person? What were the Jim Crow laws? When and why were they put into effect? Were the laws state or federal laws? Where were the laws observed? Where were they broken? Why did Bessie think that they were ugly and complicated? Are the Jim Crow laws still in effect? If so, where? How would the laws apply today?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Bessie's dental practice. Although Bessie was a strong business woman, she also paid heed to her Episcopal upbringing. Discuss how Bessie honored her parents and her religion through her work. What kinds of services did Bessie offer to the locals? What did she receive in return? Do you think Bessie made good business decisions?
Essay Topic 3
Bessie jokes that the reason she and Sadie have lived so long was due to the fact that neither ever got married. Do you think there is any truth to that statement? Did Bessie mean what she said or was she joking? Why do you think neither sister ever married? How was that choice viewed by the rest of the family? Did either have a boyfriend? How might things have changed if one or both of the sisters had married? Explain.
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)