|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the word used that means those who tend to say negative things about others?
2. What was the name of Bessie's pet pig?
3. According to the book, the Delanys were referred to as being at the top of black ______.
4. Jim Crow laws were put into effect in which year?
5. Which of the following adjectives was often used by the neighbors to describe the sisters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two major events were the death knells of Jim Crow?
2. Sadie relays the story of one of her first experiences in New York regarding strangers. What was the experience? What did Sadie learn?
3. Which segment of the population did not readily accept or celebrate the Delanys' successes?
4. What drastic action did the sisters take to care for Nanny?
5. Name at least one thing that bothered Bessie the most about the rebbys.
6. Discuss Julia's move to New York. How did Julia's presence affect Bessie's attempt to get work?
7. Henry Beard Delany was born a slave on a Georgia plantation. Examine the Delanys' role in the household. When was Henry freed?
8. What prompted the family to move to New York? Who moved to the city first? Why?
9. How old was Henry Delany when he was freed? How was Henry affected?
10. What actions did the Mocks take that was illegal?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Bessie's dental practice. Although Bessie was a strong business woman, she also paid heed to her Episcopal upbringing. Discuss how Bessie honored her parents and her religion through her work. What kinds of services did Bessie offer to the locals? What did she receive in return? Do you think Bessie made good business decisions?
Essay Topic 2
Interracial relationships were not common in the late 1800s. Examine the relationship between Mr. Miliam and Nanny's mother. What were the specifics of the relationship? Was Nanny treated differently because her father was a white man? Did Miliam's wealth have anything to do with the level of acceptance in the relationship? Why was the couple never married? How might the same relationship be viewed today? How did the relationship affect Miliam's inheritance to Nanny and the children? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the professional careers of all ten children. Begin with the oldest and end with the youngest. How many were involved in the same or similar professions? Did any take after Henry or Nanny in their career choices? Explain.
This section contains 2,346 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)