|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city did the Delanys refer to as their hometown?
2. In what year was Sadie born?
3. What was the name of Nanny's midwife?
4. What is Sadie's real first name?
5. How old is Sadie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the wedding of Henry and Nanny Delany.
2. Discuss Jim Crow Days. When did they occur? What was changed by the laws?
3. Discuss the age and relationship between the two sisters.
4. What is Bessie's opinion of whites? Who was responsible for giving whites a bad name in the eyes of the Negro?
5. What was the reaction of many slaves when slavery ended? What did the slaves do upon being freed?
6. What was the public opinion of Henry Delany during his career? What changed the way people viewed the Delany family?
7. Name at least one thing that bothered Bessie the most about the rebbys.
8. The living arrangements for the sisters were somewhat unusual considering their respective ages. What was the arrangement?
9. What is the reputation Bessie created for herself? What does Bessie think will happen to her when she dies?
10. Who was the Mock family? How were they important to the Delanys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a complete character description of Bessie. What were Bessie's most significant traits? How was Bessie different than her siblings? How did Bessie fight against racism and gender bias? What was Bessie's profession? Was Bessie's office successful? What is the most memorable thing about Bessie in your eyes?
Essay Topic 2
Sadie and Bessie wanted to prove that despite their age, they are still competent women with sharp minds. Many people believe that the elderly have outlived their usefulness. Do you share the opinion that the elderly are "used up?" Do you think that the Delanys still had something to offer either professionally or personally? Explain. Also compare the elderly people you know to the Delany sisters. How are they similar?
Essay Topic 3
The author says: "Both more than one hundred years old, Sarah ("Sadie") Delany and her sister Annie Elizabeth ("Bessie") Delany are among the oldest living witnesses to American history." (Part 1, page 3) What do you think it would be like to be in that position? Would you want to be one of the oldest living witnesses? What types of things did the sister see first hand that you would consider to be ancient history? Would you record your experiences? Explain.
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)