|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bessie says she intends to live to be how old?
2. In what month was Sadie born?
3. How old was Bessie when she left home by herself for the first time?
4. The writer was the daughter of which famous singer?
5. Sadie says that Bessie has great _____ but does not use it.
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine Henry's offer to go to college. When did it occur? What concessions would Henry have to make?
2. Discuss the age and relationship between the two sisters.
3. Where did Henry and Nanny meet? What was unusual about their wedding?
4. Name at least one thing that bothered Bessie the most about the rebbys.
5. Sadie talks about the drawbacks of being old. Discuss at least two references Sadie makes to her advanced age.
6. Which segment of the population did not readily accept or celebrate the Delanys' successes?
7. What prevented people from harassing Nanny's grandparents? What major issue occurred after the death of Mr. Miliam?
8. Who helped to take care of the sisters?
9. What type of school is St. Augustine's? When was it established? Where is it located?
10. Discuss Jim Crow Days. When did they occur? What was changed by the laws?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the deaths of Henry and Nanny Delany. Who died first? How did each parent die? When? Who was the first to find out? Who was responsible for telling the rest of the family? What types of funeral arrangements were made? What happened to the surviving parent? How did the lives of the Delany children change after the deaths of the parents? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Although the Delany family had many admirers, they also had detractors. Examine the type of person that might be most likely to detract from the family's accomplishments. Why do you think some of the lower class black families were resentful of the Delanys? Were they jealous? Did they have the same ambition or opportunities? Why did some think the family was trying to live in a white man's world? What does it mean when people said that the Delanys were trying to live above their station? How did the Delanys react to their supporters and detractors? What is your opinion?
Essay Topic 3
Bessie jokes that the reason she and Sadie have lived so long was due to the fact that neither ever got married. Do you think there is any truth to that statement? Did Bessie mean what she said or was she joking? Why do you think neither sister ever married? How was that choice viewed by the rest of the family? Did either have a boyfriend? How might things have changed if one or both of the sisters had married? Explain.
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)