|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which state did Henry's family live at this time?
2. What was the name of Sadie's first serious boyfriend?
3. In which state was this town located?
4. In what year did Sadie graduate from St. Augustine's school?
5. Sadie says that if Bessie gets her wish, she will have to live to be ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the marital status of the sisters? What was their explanation?
2. Where did Henry and Nanny meet? What was unusual about their wedding?
3. What was the reaction of many slaves when slavery ended? What did the slaves do upon being freed?
4. What two major events were the death knells of Jim Crow?
5. Discuss Jim Crow Days. When did they occur? What was changed by the laws?
6. What gift of Bessie's was not readily acknowledged? Why was it kept under wraps?
7. Who was the Mock family? How were they important to the Delanys?
8. What type of school is St. Augustine's? When was it established? Where is it located?
9. The living arrangements for the sisters were somewhat unusual considering their respective ages. What was the arrangement?
10. Sadie talks about the drawbacks of being old. Discuss at least two references Sadie makes to her advanced age.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bessie and Sadie lived in the house in Mount Vernon for more than 75 years. Discuss in detail how the sisters purchased the house, where it was located, and the demographic of their neighborhood. Who helped to take care of the house? How much did it cost? What features were there to the house that pleased the sisters? What do you think might have happened to the house after the sisters died?
Essay Topic 2
Why did the sisters move to New York? What was special about Harlem at that time? What was the Harlem Renaissance? Who was at the forefront of the movement? How did Sadie and Bessie feel about Harlem and New York City in general? How many members of the Delany family lived in Harlem? Who had offices located there? What is Harlem like today?
Essay Topic 3
The author says: "Both more than one hundred years old, Sarah ("Sadie") Delany and her sister Annie Elizabeth ("Bessie") Delany are among the oldest living witnesses to American history." (Part 1, page 3) What do you think it would be like to be in that position? Would you want to be one of the oldest living witnesses? What types of things did the sister see first hand that you would consider to be ancient history? Would you record your experiences? Explain.
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)