|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Henry Delany born?
2. Where did the child attend school?
3. What was the name of the small town where the house was located?
4. What was the profession for Mr. Delany?
5. In what year did the Jim Crow laws take effect on a federal level?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was the Mock family? How were they important to the Delanys?
2. Discuss the births of the ten children, including their full names and birth years.
3. What was the reaction of many slaves when slavery ended? What did the slaves do upon being freed?
4. What actions did the Mocks take that was illegal?
5. Examine Henry's offer to go to college. When did it occur? What concessions would Henry have to make?
6. How was Henry Delany presented with the opportunity to go to college? What major life change was Henry asked to make?
7. What does the author say about Sadie and Bessie in regards to their age and view of history?
8. Discuss the age and relationship between the two sisters.
9. What prevented people from harassing Nanny's grandparents? What major issue occurred after the death of Mr. Miliam?
10. Discuss the wedding of Henry and Nanny Delany.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bessie jokes that the reason she and Sadie have lived so long was due to the fact that neither ever got married. Do you think there is any truth to that statement? Did Bessie mean what she said or was she joking? Why do you think neither sister ever married? How was that choice viewed by the rest of the family? Did either have a boyfriend? How might things have changed if one or both of the sisters had married? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Why did the sisters move to New York? What was special about Harlem at that time? What was the Harlem Renaissance? Who was at the forefront of the movement? How did Sadie and Bessie feel about Harlem and New York City in general? How many members of the Delany family lived in Harlem? Who had offices located there? What is Harlem like today?
Essay Topic 3
Bessie refers to the Jim Crow laws as being "an ugly, complicated business." (Part 4, chapter 11, page 69) Discuss Jim Crow. Who was Jim Crow? Was he a real person? What were the Jim Crow laws? When and why were they put into effect? Were the laws state or federal laws? Where were the laws observed? Where were they broken? Why did Bessie think that they were ugly and complicated? Are the Jim Crow laws still in effect? If so, where? How would the laws apply today?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)