|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the profession for Mr. Delany?
2. How old was Bessie when she left home by herself for the first time?
3. What word is best used to describe Bessie?
4. Which famous case was responsible for the introduction of the laws?
5. In which state was this town located?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the public opinion of Henry Delany during his career? What changed the way people viewed the Delany family?
2. What is Bessie's opinion of whites? Who was responsible for giving whites a bad name in the eyes of the Negro?
3. What was the marital status of the sisters? What was their explanation?
4. What type of school is St. Augustine's? When was it established? Where is it located?
5. What is the reputation Bessie created for herself? What does Bessie think will happen to her when she dies?
6. The living arrangements for the sisters were somewhat unusual considering their respective ages. What was the arrangement?
7. Name at least one thing that bothered Bessie the most about the rebbys.
8. Henry Beard Delany was born a slave on a Georgia plantation. Examine the Delanys' role in the household. When was Henry freed?
9. What was different about the Delany family compared to other black families in the South?
10. Discuss Jim Crow Days. When did they occur? What was changed by the laws?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bessie refers to the Jim Crow laws as being "an ugly, complicated business." (Part 4, chapter 11, page 69) Discuss Jim Crow. Who was Jim Crow? Was he a real person? What were the Jim Crow laws? When and why were they put into effect? Were the laws state or federal laws? Where were the laws observed? Where were they broken? Why did Bessie think that they were ugly and complicated? Are the Jim Crow laws still in effect? If so, where? How would the laws apply today?
Essay Topic 2
Bessie jokes that the reason she and Sadie have lived so long was due to the fact that neither ever got married. Do you think there is any truth to that statement? Did Bessie mean what she said or was she joking? Why do you think neither sister ever married? How was that choice viewed by the rest of the family? Did either have a boyfriend? How might things have changed if one or both of the sisters had married? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Hubert Delany. What was unusual about Hubert's professional career? How did he make a difference as an activist? How did the sisters feel when Hubert became a celebrated government official? What was Hubert's job? What was his role in law making and policy? Where did Hubert serve? What was the relationship between Hubert and his sisters? Which organizations did Hubert support?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)