|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Bessie?
2. What was the name of Nanny's midwife?
3. In what state were the Delanys raised?
4. Neither sister had ever _____.
5. In which state did Henry's family live at this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Henry Beard Delany was born a slave on a Georgia plantation. Examine the Delanys' role in the household. When was Henry freed?
2. What type of school is St. Augustine's? When was it established? Where is it located?
3. Sadie talks about the drawbacks of being old. Discuss at least two references Sadie makes to her advanced age.
4. What was the public opinion of Henry Delany during his career? What changed the way people viewed the Delany family?
5. Who helped to take care of the sisters?
6. What was the marital status of the sisters? What was their explanation?
7. How old was Henry Delany when he was freed? How was Henry affected?
8. What about the Delany sisters surprises most people? What is the general opinion of the Delany sisters' neighbors?
9. Discuss the wedding of Henry and Nanny Delany.
10. What is the reputation Bessie created for herself? What does Bessie think will happen to her when she dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Interracial relationships were not common in the late 1800s. Examine the relationship between Mr. Miliam and Nanny's mother. What were the specifics of the relationship? Was Nanny treated differently because her father was a white man? Did Miliam's wealth have anything to do with the level of acceptance in the relationship? Why was the couple never married? How might the same relationship be viewed today? How did the relationship affect Miliam's inheritance to Nanny and the children? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Although the Delany family had many admirers, they also had detractors. Examine the type of person that might be most likely to detract from the family's accomplishments. Why do you think some of the lower class black families were resentful of the Delanys? Were they jealous? Did they have the same ambition or opportunities? Why did some think the family was trying to live in a white man's world? What does it mean when people said that the Delanys were trying to live above their station? How did the Delanys react to their supporters and detractors? What is your opinion?
Essay Topic 3
Bessie jokes that the reason she and Sadie have lived so long was due to the fact that neither ever got married. Do you think there is any truth to that statement? Did Bessie mean what she said or was she joking? Why do you think neither sister ever married? How was that choice viewed by the rest of the family? Did either have a boyfriend? How might things have changed if one or both of the sisters had married? Explain.
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)