|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the sisters live?
2. What is Bessie's real first name?
3. What was the writer's first name?
4. What food item did the girl give to Bessie?
5. How many of the children went to college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of school is St. Augustine's? When was it established? Where is it located?
2. What is Bessie's opinion of whites? Who was responsible for giving whites a bad name in the eyes of the Negro?
3. The book details the history of Nanny Logan Delany's family. What was unusual about the family dynamic?
4. What was so important about Henry Delany's foray into the church?
5. What was the reaction of many slaves when slavery ended? What did the slaves do upon being freed?
6. What was different about the Delany family compared to other black families in the South?
7. Who helped to take care of the sisters?
8. What is the reputation Bessie created for herself? What does Bessie think will happen to her when she dies?
9. What about the Delany sisters surprises most people? What is the general opinion of the Delany sisters' neighbors?
10. Where did Henry and Nanny meet? What was unusual about their wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sadie and Bessie wanted to prove that despite their age, they are still competent women with sharp minds. Many people believe that the elderly have outlived their usefulness. Do you share the opinion that the elderly are "used up?" Do you think that the Delanys still had something to offer either professionally or personally? Explain. Also compare the elderly people you know to the Delany sisters. How are they similar?
Essay Topic 2
The Delany children were raised in somewhat of a sheltered way. Discuss the childhoods of the children. How were they affected by being so sheltered? What kind of influence did Henry and Nanny have on the way the children viewed the world? How might the children be different if raised in Raleigh proper, or in some unprotected area? What do you think Henry and Nanny might have done to protect their children in a different environment? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Bessie refers to the Jim Crow laws as being "an ugly, complicated business." (Part 4, chapter 11, page 69) Discuss Jim Crow. Who was Jim Crow? Was he a real person? What were the Jim Crow laws? When and why were they put into effect? Were the laws state or federal laws? Where were the laws observed? Where were they broken? Why did Bessie think that they were ugly and complicated? Are the Jim Crow laws still in effect? If so, where? How would the laws apply today?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)