|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Sadie graduated from St. Aug's, Henry told her that she owed it to her ______ to go on to get a higher education.
2. Delany went to which school?
3. What city did the Delanys refer to as their hometown?
4. Although the sisters can be very different, they are _____.
5. Bessie jokes that not being married meant that she would not be ____ to death.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Little Hubie? Why was he special? What happened to the child?
2. The sisters talk about their situation during World War II. Discuss at least one issue the sisters had at that time.
3. The book details the history of Nanny Logan Delany's family. What was unusual about the family dynamic?
4. What was different about the Delany family compared to other black families in the South?
5. What is Bessie's opinion of whites? Who was responsible for giving whites a bad name in the eyes of the Negro?
6. Who was the Mock family? How were they important to the Delanys?
7. Examine the effect Nanny's death had on Sadie.
8. Which segment of the population did not readily accept or celebrate the Delanys' successes?
9. What was the general impression of Harlem in the 1920s and 1930s? What was the other side of the situation?
10. What is the reputation Bessie created for herself? What does Bessie think will happen to her when she dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Delany family attended school at St. Augustine's, as did their parents. Discuss in detail St. Augustine's school. Why did Henry and Nanny attend St. Augustine's? What were their majors? What made the Delanys decide to stay there? What kind of education did the children receive at the school? What jobs did Henry and Nanny have? Was St. Augustine's school a religious, private or public school? Where did the children go after leaving St. Augustine's school?
Essay Topic 2
Although the Delany family had many admirers, they also had detractors. Examine the type of person that might be most likely to detract from the family's accomplishments. Why do you think some of the lower class black families were resentful of the Delanys? Were they jealous? Did they have the same ambition or opportunities? Why did some think the family was trying to live in a white man's world? What does it mean when people said that the Delanys were trying to live above their station? How did the Delanys react to their supporters and detractors? What is your opinion?
Essay Topic 3
Sadie talks about racism in the black community. Even though the sisters are from the same family, there was a difference in the way they were treated due to the shade of their skin tone. Do you think that the shade of one's skin matters as much today, or are all blacks treated equally? Do you think other races have the same opinions and/or experiences? How did the sisters handle the difference in treatment? How were the other children treated? Why do you think some were lighter than others?
This section contains 2,294 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)