|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bessie jokes about arriving at which place?
2. In what year did Sadie graduate from St. Augustine's school?
3. Delany was required to convert to which faith?
4. Bessie refers to which saint?
5. Jim Crow was a well known ____ character.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who helped to take care of the sisters?
2. What was the public opinion of Henry Delany during his career? What changed the way people viewed the Delany family?
3. What is the reputation Bessie created for herself? What does Bessie think will happen to her when she dies?
4. What does the author say about Sadie and Bessie in regards to their age and view of history?
5. The living arrangements for the sisters were somewhat unusual considering their respective ages. What was the arrangement?
6. What is an issue-free Negro? What is the difference between an issue-free slave and a freed slave?
7. Where did Henry and Nanny meet? What was unusual about their wedding?
8. Discuss the age and relationship between the two sisters.
9. Sadie talks about the drawbacks of being old. Discuss at least two references Sadie makes to her advanced age.
10. Henry Beard Delany was born a slave on a Georgia plantation. Examine the Delanys' role in the household. When was Henry freed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bessie jokes that the reason she and Sadie have lived so long was due to the fact that neither ever got married. Do you think there is any truth to that statement? Did Bessie mean what she said or was she joking? Why do you think neither sister ever married? How was that choice viewed by the rest of the family? Did either have a boyfriend? How might things have changed if one or both of the sisters had married? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the deaths of Henry and Nanny Delany. Who died first? How did each parent die? When? Who was the first to find out? Who was responsible for telling the rest of the family? What types of funeral arrangements were made? What happened to the surviving parent? How did the lives of the Delany children change after the deaths of the parents? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The Delany children were raised in somewhat of a sheltered way. Discuss the childhoods of the children. How were they affected by being so sheltered? What kind of influence did Henry and Nanny have on the way the children viewed the world? How might the children be different if raised in Raleigh proper, or in some unprotected area? What do you think Henry and Nanny might have done to protect their children in a different environment? Explain.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)