|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bessie believes that many people see her as being _____.
2. Where did the child attend school?
3. Sadie says the hardest thing about being old is that she no longer has many ______.
4. What is a more common name for a "bull-bat?"
5. In what year was Sadie born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name at least one thing that bothered Bessie the most about the rebbys.
2. What was the marital status of the sisters? What was their explanation?
3. What is Bessie's opinion of whites? Who was responsible for giving whites a bad name in the eyes of the Negro?
4. Discuss the ages and situation between Sadie and Bessie.
5. How was Henry Delany presented with the opportunity to go to college? What major life change was Henry asked to make?
6. The book details the history of Nanny Logan Delany's family. What was unusual about the family dynamic?
7. What was so important about Henry Delany's foray into the church?
8. What is an issue-free Negro? What is the difference between an issue-free slave and a freed slave?
9. What prevented people from harassing Nanny's grandparents? What major issue occurred after the death of Mr. Miliam?
10. Examine Henry's offer to go to college. When did it occur? What concessions would Henry have to make?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the deaths of Henry and Nanny Delany. Who died first? How did each parent die? When? Who was the first to find out? Who was responsible for telling the rest of the family? What types of funeral arrangements were made? What happened to the surviving parent? How did the lives of the Delany children change after the deaths of the parents? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Many people tried to get the sisters to use modern technology. At the time, that meant getting a telephone. Explain why the sisters refused to have a phone. What was their reason? What might happen if there was an emergency? How do you think the sisters would have reacted to today's modern technology? Do you think either would have given in and tried some of the new gadgets on the market today?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Bessie's dental practice. Although Bessie was a strong business woman, she also paid heed to her Episcopal upbringing. Discuss how Bessie honored her parents and her religion through her work. What kinds of services did Bessie offer to the locals? What did she receive in return? Do you think Bessie made good business decisions?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)