|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sadie says that Bessie has great _____ but does not use it.
2. What is Sadie's real first name?
3. Where did the child attend school?
4. When Bessie was about 15, the region was struck with a _____ epidemic.
5. Which famous activist often visited Raleigh?
Short Essay Questions
1. Sadie talks about the drawbacks of being old. Discuss at least two references Sadie makes to her advanced age.
2. What was the reaction of many slaves when slavery ended? What did the slaves do upon being freed?
3. What was the marital status of the sisters? What was their explanation?
4. The living arrangements for the sisters were somewhat unusual considering their respective ages. What was the arrangement?
5. What was the public opinion of Henry Delany during his career? What changed the way people viewed the Delany family?
6. What actions did the Mocks take that was illegal?
7. The book details the history of Nanny Logan Delany's family. What was unusual about the family dynamic?
8. Name at least one thing that bothered Bessie the most about the rebbys.
9. What gift of Bessie's was not readily acknowledged? Why was it kept under wraps?
10. Where did Henry and Nanny meet? What was unusual about their wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although the Delany family had many admirers, they also had detractors. Examine the type of person that might be most likely to detract from the family's accomplishments. Why do you think some of the lower class black families were resentful of the Delanys? Were they jealous? Did they have the same ambition or opportunities? Why did some think the family was trying to live in a white man's world? What does it mean when people said that the Delanys were trying to live above their station? How did the Delanys react to their supporters and detractors? What is your opinion?
Essay Topic 2
The Delanys were a family of professional people, which was almost unheard of in their early careers. The women often faced additional challenges because of their gender as well as their race. How do you think the atmosphere of the professional world has changed since Sadie and Bessie's time? Have the values of professional women changed since the Delany sisters' heyday? Why do you think the sisters were so adamant about pursuing careers instead of marriage? Do you think the Delany sisters were unusual or before their time?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the professional careers of all ten children. Begin with the oldest and end with the youngest. How many were involved in the same or similar professions? Did any take after Henry or Nanny in their career choices? Explain.
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)