|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bessie jokes that not being married meant that she would not be ____ to death.
2. In what state were the Delanys raised?
3. Nanny came from which state?
4. What word did people use to describe Bessie as a child?
5. Which famous case was responsible for the introduction of the laws?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the age and relationship between the two sisters.
2. What was different about the Delany family compared to other black families in the South?
3. What does the author say about Sadie and Bessie in regards to their age and view of history?
4. Name at least one thing that bothered Bessie the most about the rebbys.
5. What two major events were the death knells of Jim Crow?
6. The living arrangements for the sisters were somewhat unusual considering their respective ages. What was the arrangement?
7. What prevented people from harassing Nanny's grandparents? What major issue occurred after the death of Mr. Miliam?
8. What was the public opinion of Henry Delany during his career? What changed the way people viewed the Delany family?
9. Who helped to take care of the sisters?
10. What is an issue-free Negro? What is the difference between an issue-free slave and a freed slave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the deaths of Henry and Nanny Delany. Who died first? How did each parent die? When? Who was the first to find out? Who was responsible for telling the rest of the family? What types of funeral arrangements were made? What happened to the surviving parent? How did the lives of the Delany children change after the deaths of the parents? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The Delany family attended school at St. Augustine's, as did their parents. Discuss in detail St. Augustine's school. Why did Henry and Nanny attend St. Augustine's? What were their majors? What made the Delanys decide to stay there? What kind of education did the children receive at the school? What jobs did Henry and Nanny have? Was St. Augustine's school a religious, private or public school? Where did the children go after leaving St. Augustine's school?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Bessie's dental practice. Although Bessie was a strong business woman, she also paid heed to her Episcopal upbringing. Discuss how Bessie honored her parents and her religion through her work. What kinds of services did Bessie offer to the locals? What did she receive in return? Do you think Bessie made good business decisions?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)