|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bessie says she would treat her pet ____ better than she was treated by many white people.
2. What was the name of Bessie's pet pig?
3. What did the Delanys call racist white men?
4. In what month was Sadie born?
5. The sisters often received visitors from people that wanted to _____ to the sisters.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the marital status of the sisters? What was their explanation?
2. Who was the Mock family? How were they important to the Delanys?
3. What actions did the Mocks take that was illegal?
4. What does the author say about Sadie and Bessie in regards to their age and view of history?
5. Who helped to take care of the sisters?
6. Examine Henry's offer to go to college. When did it occur? What concessions would Henry have to make?
7. What gift of Bessie's was not readily acknowledged? Why was it kept under wraps?
8. What prevented people from harassing Nanny's grandparents? What major issue occurred after the death of Mr. Miliam?
9. What was so important about Henry Delany's foray into the church?
10. What about the Delany sisters surprises most people? What is the general opinion of the Delany sisters' neighbors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Hubert Delany. What was unusual about Hubert's professional career? How did he make a difference as an activist? How did the sisters feel when Hubert became a celebrated government official? What was Hubert's job? What was his role in law making and policy? Where did Hubert serve? What was the relationship between Hubert and his sisters? Which organizations did Hubert support?
Essay Topic 2
Bessie and Sadie lived in the house in Mount Vernon for more than 75 years. Discuss in detail how the sisters purchased the house, where it was located, and the demographic of their neighborhood. Who helped to take care of the house? How much did it cost? What features were there to the house that pleased the sisters? What do you think might have happened to the house after the sisters died?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the deaths of Henry and Nanny Delany. Who died first? How did each parent die? When? Who was the first to find out? Who was responsible for telling the rest of the family? What types of funeral arrangements were made? What happened to the surviving parent? How did the lives of the Delany children change after the deaths of the parents? Explain.
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)