|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which state did Henry's family live at this time?
2. While traveling, Sadie often stayed at the ____ house, located three miles outside Raleigh.
3. What food item did the girl give to Bessie?
4. Neither sister had ever _____.
5. The sisters often received visitors from people that wanted to _____ to the sisters.
Short Essay Questions
1. What two major events were the death knells of Jim Crow?
2. How old was Henry Delany when he was freed? How was Henry affected?
3. What is Bessie's opinion of whites? Who was responsible for giving whites a bad name in the eyes of the Negro?
4. What was the marital status of the sisters? What was their explanation?
5. Discuss Jim Crow Days. When did they occur? What was changed by the laws?
6. Discuss the age and relationship between the two sisters.
7. What was so important about Henry Delany's foray into the church?
8. What type of school is St. Augustine's? When was it established? Where is it located?
9. The book details the history of Nanny Logan Delany's family. What was unusual about the family dynamic?
10. Sadie talks about the drawbacks of being old. Discuss at least two references Sadie makes to her advanced age.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Hubert Delany. What was unusual about Hubert's professional career? How did he make a difference as an activist? How did the sisters feel when Hubert became a celebrated government official? What was Hubert's job? What was his role in law making and policy? Where did Hubert serve? What was the relationship between Hubert and his sisters? Which organizations did Hubert support?
Essay Topic 2
Even at their advanced ages Bessie and Sadie are completely independent. The sisters say that many people do not believe that they do not have a maid or helpers of any kind. Explain why people are so surprised at the sisters' level of independence. Do you think they could handle any situation that would arise at their home? Who helped with outside chores such as banking and grocery shopping? How were the neighbors involved in the sisters' lives?
Essay Topic 3
Bessie and Sadie lived in the house in Mount Vernon for more than 75 years. Discuss in detail how the sisters purchased the house, where it was located, and the demographic of their neighborhood. Who helped to take care of the house? How much did it cost? What features were there to the house that pleased the sisters? What do you think might have happened to the house after the sisters died?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)