Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sadie says that Bessie has great _____ but does not use it.
2. Bessie ended up staying in the hospital for how many weeks?
3. Bessie threw a fit when she realized that one of Sadie's other rooms was infested with which of the following?
4. The reason for the refusal was that the members of the organization thought Sadie was ____.
5. Mr. Delany often told Bessie that she could catch more flies with ____ than with vinegar.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was so important about Henry Delany's foray into the church?
2. How did Sadie make extra money in the early years? What dampened the success of the business?
3. Where did Henry and Nanny meet? What was unusual about their wedding?
4. Sadie relays the story of one of her first experiences in New York regarding strangers. What was the experience? What did Sadie learn?
5. What was the general impression of Harlem in the 1920s and 1930s? What was the other side of the situation?
6. What was the reaction of many slaves when slavery ended? What did the slaves do upon being freed?
7. The book details the history of Nanny Logan Delany's family. What was unusual about the family dynamic?
8. Henry Beard Delany was born a slave on a Georgia plantation. Examine the Delanys' role in the household. When was Henry freed?
9. Discuss Sadie's difficulties during her first year at Pratt.
10. What is written about the assassinations of the famous leaders of the time, particularly those involved in the Civil Rights Movement?
The Delany family attended school at St. Augustine's, as did their parents. Discuss in detail St. Augustine's school. Why did Henry and Nanny attend St. Augustine's? What were their majors? What made the Delanys decide to stay there? What kind of education did the children receive at the school? What jobs did Henry and Nanny have? Was St. Augustine's school a religious, private or public school? Where did the children go after leaving St. Augustine's school?
Examine the professional careers of all ten children. Begin with the oldest and end with the youngest. How many were involved in the same or similar professions? Did any take after Henry or Nanny in their career choices? Explain.
Even at their advanced ages Bessie and Sadie are completely independent. The sisters say that many people do not believe that they do not have a maid or helpers of any kind. Explain why people are so surprised at the sisters' level of independence. Do you think they could handle any situation that would arise at their home? Who helped with outside chores such as banking and grocery shopping? How were the neighbors involved in the sisters' lives?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)