Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sadie says that Bessie has great _____ but does not use it.
2. Bessie ended up staying in the hospital for how many weeks?
3. Bessie threw a fit when she realized that one of Sadie's other rooms was infested with which of the following?
4. The reason for the refusal was that the members of the organization thought Sadie was ____.
5. Mr. Delany often told Bessie that she could catch more flies with ____ than with vinegar.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was so important about Henry Delany's foray into the church?
2. How did Sadie make extra money in the early years? What dampened the success of the business?
3. Where did Henry and Nanny meet? What was unusual about their wedding?
4. Sadie relays the story of one of her first experiences in New York regarding strangers. What was the experience? What did Sadie learn?
5. What was the general impression of Harlem in the 1920s and 1930s? What was the other side of the situation?
6. What was the reaction of many slaves when slavery ended? What did the slaves do upon being freed?
7. The book details the history of Nanny Logan Delany's family. What was unusual about the family dynamic?
8. Henry Beard Delany was born a slave on a Georgia plantation. Examine the Delanys' role in the household. When was Henry freed?
9. Discuss Sadie's difficulties during her first year at Pratt.
10. What is written about the assassinations of the famous leaders of the time, particularly those involved in the Civil Rights Movement?
Essay Topic 1
Although the Delany family had many admirers, they also had detractors. Examine the type of person that might be most likely to detract from the family's accomplishments. Why do you think some of the lower class black families were resentful of the Delanys? Were they jealous? Did they have the same ambition or opportunities? Why did some think the family was trying to live in a white man's world? What does it mean when people said that the Delanys were trying to live above their station? How did the Delanys react to their supporters and detractors? What is your opinion?
Essay Topic 2
Bessie and Sadie lived in the house in Mount Vernon for more than 75 years. Discuss in detail how the sisters purchased the house, where it was located, and the demographic of their neighborhood. Who helped to take care of the house? How much did it cost? What features were there to the house that pleased the sisters? What do you think might have happened to the house after the sisters died?
Essay Topic 3
Bessie jokes that the reason she and Sadie have lived so long was due to the fact that neither ever got married. Do you think there is any truth to that statement? Did Bessie mean what she said or was she joking? Why do you think neither sister ever married? How was that choice viewed by the rest of the family? Did either have a boyfriend? How might things have changed if one or both of the sisters had married? Explain.
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)