|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The reason for the refusal was that the members of the organization thought Sadie was ____.
2. In what year did Henry and Nanny get married?
3. In what year was the book written?
4. Where did the child attend school?
5. Sadie says that Bessie has great _____ but does not use it.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bessie's opinion of whites? Who was responsible for giving whites a bad name in the eyes of the Negro?
2. Discuss Jim Crow Days. When did they occur? What was changed by the laws?
3. What was different about the Delany family compared to other black families in the South?
4. Discuss the births of the ten children, including their full names and birth years.
5. The book details the history of Nanny Logan Delany's family. What was unusual about the family dynamic?
6. Where did Henry and Nanny meet? What was unusual about their wedding?
7. What was so important about Henry Delany's foray into the church?
8. Sadie talks about the drawbacks of being old. Discuss at least two references Sadie makes to her advanced age.
9. What is an issue-free Negro? What is the difference between an issue-free slave and a freed slave?
10. Discuss the age and relationship between the two sisters.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bessie and Sadie lived in the house in Mount Vernon for more than 75 years. Discuss in detail how the sisters purchased the house, where it was located, and the demographic of their neighborhood. Who helped to take care of the house? How much did it cost? What features were there to the house that pleased the sisters? What do you think might have happened to the house after the sisters died?
Essay Topic 2
The Delany children were raised in somewhat of a sheltered way. Discuss the childhoods of the children. How were they affected by being so sheltered? What kind of influence did Henry and Nanny have on the way the children viewed the world? How might the children be different if raised in Raleigh proper, or in some unprotected area? What do you think Henry and Nanny might have done to protect their children in a different environment? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Interracial relationships were not common in the late 1800s. Examine the relationship between Mr. Miliam and Nanny's mother. What were the specifics of the relationship? Was Nanny treated differently because her father was a white man? Did Miliam's wealth have anything to do with the level of acceptance in the relationship? Why was the couple never married? How might the same relationship be viewed today? How did the relationship affect Miliam's inheritance to Nanny and the children? Explain.
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)