|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bessie was about 15, the region was struck with a _____ epidemic.
2. Sadie ended up teaching all over which North Carolina county?
3. Which of the following was not mentioned as one of the other diseases to strike St. Aug's school?
4. The reason for the refusal was that the members of the organization thought Sadie was ____.
5. The incident encouraged the child to pursue a career as a _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What about the Delany sisters surprises most people? What is the general opinion of the Delany sisters' neighbors?
2. Who helped to take care of the sisters?
3. What does the author say about Sadie and Bessie in regards to their age and view of history?
4. What type of school is St. Augustine's? When was it established? Where is it located?
5. What prevented people from harassing Nanny's grandparents? What major issue occurred after the death of Mr. Miliam?
6. What was the marital status of the sisters? What was their explanation?
7. Discuss the births of the ten children, including their full names and birth years.
8. What is an issue-free Negro? What is the difference between an issue-free slave and a freed slave?
9. Discuss the wedding of Henry and Nanny Delany.
10. Examine Henry's offer to go to college. When did it occur? What concessions would Henry have to make?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Delany children were raised in somewhat of a sheltered way. Discuss the childhoods of the children. How were they affected by being so sheltered? What kind of influence did Henry and Nanny have on the way the children viewed the world? How might the children be different if raised in Raleigh proper, or in some unprotected area? What do you think Henry and Nanny might have done to protect their children in a different environment? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Bessie's dental practice. Although Bessie was a strong business woman, she also paid heed to her Episcopal upbringing. Discuss how Bessie honored her parents and her religion through her work. What kinds of services did Bessie offer to the locals? What did she receive in return? Do you think Bessie made good business decisions?
Essay Topic 3
Why did the sisters move to New York? What was special about Harlem at that time? What was the Harlem Renaissance? Who was at the forefront of the movement? How did Sadie and Bessie feel about Harlem and New York City in general? How many members of the Delany family lived in Harlem? Who had offices located there? What is Harlem like today?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)