|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While traveling, Sadie often stayed at the ____ house, located three miles outside Raleigh.
2. Where did the child attend school?
3. What was the surname of the author that wrote about the Delanys?
4. How many of the children went to college?
5. Bessie ended up staying in the hospital for how many weeks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the marital status of the sisters? What was their explanation?
2. What was different about the Delany family compared to other black families in the South?
3. What about the Delany sisters surprises most people? What is the general opinion of the Delany sisters' neighbors?
4. What gift of Bessie's was not readily acknowledged? Why was it kept under wraps?
5. How old was Henry Delany when he was freed? How was Henry affected?
6. What is the reputation Bessie created for herself? What does Bessie think will happen to her when she dies?
7. What actions did the Mocks take that was illegal?
8. Who was the Mock family? How were they important to the Delanys?
9. What was the public opinion of Henry Delany during his career? What changed the way people viewed the Delany family?
10. Henry Beard Delany was born a slave on a Georgia plantation. Examine the Delanys' role in the household. When was Henry freed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even at their advanced ages Bessie and Sadie are completely independent. The sisters say that many people do not believe that they do not have a maid or helpers of any kind. Explain why people are so surprised at the sisters' level of independence. Do you think they could handle any situation that would arise at their home? Who helped with outside chores such as banking and grocery shopping? How were the neighbors involved in the sisters' lives?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the deaths of Henry and Nanny Delany. Who died first? How did each parent die? When? Who was the first to find out? Who was responsible for telling the rest of the family? What types of funeral arrangements were made? What happened to the surviving parent? How did the lives of the Delany children change after the deaths of the parents? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Why did the sisters move to New York? What was special about Harlem at that time? What was the Harlem Renaissance? Who was at the forefront of the movement? How did Sadie and Bessie feel about Harlem and New York City in general? How many members of the Delany family lived in Harlem? Who had offices located there? What is Harlem like today?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)