|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word is best used to describe Bessie?
2. In what year did Henry and Nanny get married?
3. In what year was the book written?
4. According to the book, the Delanys were referred to as being at the top of black ______.
5. Which of the children sustained a major injury to the hand?
Short Essay Questions
1. The living arrangements for the sisters were somewhat unusual considering their respective ages. What was the arrangement?
2. How was Henry Delany presented with the opportunity to go to college? What major life change was Henry asked to make?
3. What is the reputation Bessie created for herself? What does Bessie think will happen to her when she dies?
4. What gift of Bessie's was not readily acknowledged? Why was it kept under wraps?
5. Discuss the age and relationship between the two sisters.
6. What was the marital status of the sisters? What was their explanation?
7. What prevented people from harassing Nanny's grandparents? What major issue occurred after the death of Mr. Miliam?
8. Examine Henry's offer to go to college. When did it occur? What concessions would Henry have to make?
9. Discuss the births of the ten children, including their full names and birth years.
10. Henry Beard Delany was born a slave on a Georgia plantation. Examine the Delanys' role in the household. When was Henry freed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bessie jokes that the reason she and Sadie have lived so long was due to the fact that neither ever got married. Do you think there is any truth to that statement? Did Bessie mean what she said or was she joking? Why do you think neither sister ever married? How was that choice viewed by the rest of the family? Did either have a boyfriend? How might things have changed if one or both of the sisters had married? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The Delanys were a family of professional people, which was almost unheard of in their early careers. The women often faced additional challenges because of their gender as well as their race. How do you think the atmosphere of the professional world has changed since Sadie and Bessie's time? Have the values of professional women changed since the Delany sisters' heyday? Why do you think the sisters were so adamant about pursuing careers instead of marriage? Do you think the Delany sisters were unusual or before their time?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the deaths of Henry and Nanny Delany. Who died first? How did each parent die? When? Who was the first to find out? Who was responsible for telling the rest of the family? What types of funeral arrangements were made? What happened to the surviving parent? How did the lives of the Delany children change after the deaths of the parents? Explain.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)