|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was the garden planted?
2. Which man's assassination is not mentioned in this section?
(b) Medgar Evers.
(c) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(d) Bobby Kennedy.
3. Which of the other children was the same age as the little boy?
4. What was the name of the famous club in Harlem that catered to whites?
(a) Carnegie Hall.
(b) Harlem Tavern.
(c) Radio City.
(d) Cotton Club.
5. In what year did Bessie open her dental practice?
Short Answer Questions
1. What finally killed Julia's only child?
2. Manross was refused entry to a white family's home even though he had _____.
3. How much money did Nanny receive in her pension check?
4. Part five talks about the revitalization of which New York neighborhood?
5. What type of fruit trees did the Delany sisters have in their yard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Bessie's early days at Columbia. Which family member was most helpful to Bessie during that time?
2. Discuss Sadie's difficulties during her first year at Pratt.
3. Discuss how Sadie's knowledge of vitamins and minerals benefited the family over the years.
4. What prompted the family to move to New York? Who moved to the city first? Why?
5. Examine the incident with the cottage, Bessie, and the judge.
6. Who convinced the sisters to move to Westchester? What kind of reception did the sisters receive?
7. The sisters talk about their situation during World War II. Discuss at least one issue the sisters had at that time.
8. Who was Little Hubie? Why was he special? What happened to the child?
9. How did Nanny's death change Sadie's role in the family? What was the family's reaction to the change?
10. How did the Delanys react to the major changes that were going on around them in Harlem?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)