|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Despite the little boy's physical problems it was obvious that he possessed ______.
2. What kind of garden did the family plant?
3. The family was worried when the nephew went from the family home in Harlem to boot camp in which Southern state?
(c) North Carolina.
4. Where did the sisters live when their house was condemned by the government?
(b) Mount Vernon.
5. Which man's assassination is not mentioned in this section?
(a) Bobby Kennedy.
(b) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(d) Medgar Evers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of fruit trees did the Delany sisters have in their yard?
2. Nanny had often referred to Sadie as her _____.
3. Three children died after Nanny's death. In which order did the children die?
4. How old was the child when he died?
5. According to the sisters, Nanny's judgment was often _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the effect of the Depression on Harlem. Also discuss the end of the Harlem Renaissance.
2. Discuss Bessie's early days at Columbia. Which family member was most helpful to Bessie during that time?
3. The sisters talk about the deaths in the family. Who died first? Could any of the deaths have been prevented? Explain.
4. Discuss Julia's move to New York. How did Julia's presence affect Bessie's attempt to get work?
5. Discuss at least two of Bessie's major challenges at Columbia.
6. How did Nanny's death change Sadie's role in the family? What was the family's reaction to the change?
7. Discuss Sadie's difficulties during her first year at Pratt.
8. Discuss the main issue in "Outliving the Rebby Boys."
9. Discuss how Sadie's knowledge of vitamins and minerals benefited the family over the years.
10. What is written about the assassinations of the famous leaders of the time, particularly those involved in the Civil Rights Movement?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)