|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Julia's husband?
2. In what year did Hubert run for public office?
3. "Outliving the ____ Boys" details the end of the Jim Crow era.
4. How old was Bessie when she retired?
5. What happened to the cottage in the end?
(a) It was torn down.
(c) It was deeded to Bessie and Sadie.
(d) It was moved across the street.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following was a treat the sisters would make for the neighborhood children?
2. According to the sisters, Nanny's judgment was often _____.
3. The sisters talk about shortages in various goods including which of the following?
4. The Delany in the service helped to build which famous road?
5. Where did Julia go to school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Sadie and Bessie's neighbors in the projects were upset about the actions of the neighborhood kids. How did the sisters react to the issue?
2. How did Sadie make extra money in the early years? What dampened the success of the business?
3. What was the general impression of Harlem in the 1920s and 1930s? What was the other side of the situation?
4. Discuss the main issue in "Outliving the Rebby Boys."
5. Discuss the effect of the Depression on Harlem. Also discuss the end of the Harlem Renaissance.
6. Discuss at least two of Bessie's major challenges at Columbia.
7. The sisters talk about their situation during World War II. Discuss at least one issue the sisters had at that time.
8. Who was Little Hubie? Why was he special? What happened to the child?
9. How did the Delanys react to the major changes that were going on around them in Harlem?
10. What does Bessie say about the extra effort that must be put forth by Negroes?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)