|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sadie often shopped at what kind of store?
(b) Dry goods.
2. Bessie says that she thought Martin Luther King, Jr. was a(n) _____.
(a) Trouble maker.
3. Which sibling's son joined the service?
4. The Delanys had a great amount of compassion for all but which of the following groups?
5. Which of the children died due to a hospital's negligence?
Short Answer Questions
1. It was believed that Nanny was beginning to suffer from which of the following?
2. What was the name of the nephew who had a special place in the hearts of Sadie and Bessie?
3. What was the name of the funeral parlor where Nanny was laid to rest?
4. Which city was the site of major activity in the Civil Rights Movement?
5. What was the cause of Lucius' death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Bessie's early days at Columbia. Which family member was most helpful to Bessie during that time?
2. Examine the effect Nanny's death had on Sadie.
3. Discuss the main issue in "Outliving the Rebby Boys."
4. Examine the incident with the cottage, Bessie, and the judge.
5. Sadie and Bessie's neighbors in the projects were upset about the actions of the neighborhood kids. How did the sisters react to the issue?
6. How did Nanny's death change Sadie's role in the family? What was the family's reaction to the change?
7. The sisters talk about the deaths in the family. Who died first? Could any of the deaths have been prevented? Explain.
8. Sadie was tricky when it came to getting a job at a high school. What was Sadie's trick? Why was it necessary?
9. What was the general impression of Harlem in the 1920s and 1930s? What was the other side of the situation?
10. How did the Delanys react to the major changes that were going on around them in Harlem?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)