|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the music teacher often visited by the sisters?
2. Bessie says that she thought Martin Luther King, Jr. was a(n) _____.
(d) Trouble maker.
3. It was common for Bessie to shoo which group away from their street?
4. Sadie touts the importance of all but which of the following:?
(d) Drinking milk.
5. Which of the following entertainers is not mentioned in this part of the story?
Short Answer Questions
1. What item did Nanny often misplace?
2. Which man's assassination is not mentioned in this section?
3. Nanny had often referred to Sadie as her _____.
4. In what year did this event occur?
5. Where did the sisters live when their house was condemned by the government?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Hubie's role in the political arena in New York.
2. What does Bessie say about the extra effort that must be put forth by Negroes?
3. Sadie was tricky when it came to getting a job at a high school. What was Sadie's trick? Why was it necessary?
4. What drastic action did the sisters take to care for Nanny?
5. Sadie relays the story of one of her first experiences in New York regarding strangers. What was the experience? What did Sadie learn?
6. How did Sadie make extra money in the early years? What dampened the success of the business?
7. The sisters talk about the deaths in the family. Who died first? Could any of the deaths have been prevented? Explain.
8. Who convinced the sisters to move to Westchester? What kind of reception did the sisters receive?
9. What was the general impression of Harlem in the 1920s and 1930s? What was the other side of the situation?
10. Discuss how Sadie's knowledge of vitamins and minerals benefited the family over the years.
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)