|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the sisters, Nanny's judgment was often _____.
2. Which child died shortly before Nanny's death?
3. Three children died after Nanny's death. In which order did the children die?
(a) Lucius, Harry and Manross.
(b) Lemuel, Bessie and Lucius.
(c) Sam, Lucius and Julia.
(d) Hap, Sadie and Julia.
4. What was the name of the nephew who had a special place in the hearts of Sadie and Bessie?
5. Bessie remarks that the Civil Rights Movement suffered from ______ after Martin Luther King, Jr. died.
(c) A lack of leadership.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the child when he died?
2. Nanny had often referred to Sadie as her _____.
3. What was the name of the woman's young daughter?
4. Where did Julia go to school?
5. What type of fruit trees did the Delany sisters have in their yard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the main issue in "Outliving the Rebby Boys."
2. What is written about the assassinations of the famous leaders of the time, particularly those involved in the Civil Rights Movement?
3. How did the Delanys react to the major changes that were going on around them in Harlem?
4. As one might expect, Bessie got the last word in the book. What was Bessie's final insight?
5. Discuss the effect of the Depression on Harlem. Also discuss the end of the Harlem Renaissance.
6. Examine the incident with the cottage, Bessie, and the judge.
7. How did Sadie make extra money in the early years? What dampened the success of the business?
8. Discuss the Delanys' involvement with the up and coming jazz scene in Harlem.
9. Discuss Bessie's early days at Columbia. Which family member was most helpful to Bessie during that time?
10. Discuss Sadie's difficulties during her first year at Pratt.
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)