|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word is used that means the same as angry?
2. Which one of the following was a treat the sisters would make for the neighborhood children?
(a) Homemade potato chips.
3. What type of house did the sisters buy?
4. The sisters believed that _____ was the closest they would ever get to heaven on earth.
(a) St. Aug's.
(b) Mount Vernon.
5. What happened to the cottage in the end?
(a) It was torn down.
(c) It was deeded to Bessie and Sadie.
(d) It was moved across the street.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the sisters live when their house was condemned by the government?
2. The sisters tell a story about a young boy who was trying to save the life of which type of bird?
3. In what month did the crash take place?
4. What finally killed Julia's only child?
5. What was the name of the famous club in Harlem that catered to whites?
Short Essay Questions
1. The sisters talk about the deaths in the family. Who died first? Could any of the deaths have been prevented? Explain.
2. Sadie and Bessie's neighbors in the projects were upset about the actions of the neighborhood kids. How did the sisters react to the issue?
3. Discuss Hubie's role in the political arena in New York.
4. Discuss how Sadie's knowledge of vitamins and minerals benefited the family over the years.
5. Sadie relays the story of one of her first experiences in New York regarding strangers. What was the experience? What did Sadie learn?
6. How did the Delanys react to the major changes that were going on around them in Harlem?
7. What was the general impression of Harlem in the 1920s and 1930s? What was the other side of the situation?
8. What drastic action did the sisters take to care for Nanny?
9. What prompted the family to move to New York? Who moved to the city first? Why?
10. As one might expect, Bessie got the last word in the book. What was Bessie's final insight?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)