|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the cause of Manross' death?
(a) Car accident.
(b) Heart attack.
(d) Killed in war.
2. Hubert was elected to serve in which government body?
(b) Supreme Court.
(c) District Court.
3. Which of the other children was the same age as the little boy?
4. Which sibling's son joined the service?
5. Where did the sisters live when their house was condemned by the government?
(b) Mount Vernon.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the sisters, Nanny's judgment was often _____.
2. Hubert was active in which famous organization?
3. What saying is attributed to Sadie?
4. Sadie touts the importance of all but which of the following:?
5. Bessie remarks that the Civil Rights Movement suffered from ______ after Martin Luther King, Jr. died.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who convinced the sisters to move to Westchester? What kind of reception did the sisters receive?
2. What drastic action did the sisters take to care for Nanny?
3. As one might expect, Bessie got the last word in the book. What was Bessie's final insight?
4. Discuss Bessie's early days at Columbia. Which family member was most helpful to Bessie during that time?
5. Discuss the Delanys' involvement with the up and coming jazz scene in Harlem.
6. Sadie relays the story of one of her first experiences in New York regarding strangers. What was the experience? What did Sadie learn?
7. Examine the incident with the cottage, Bessie, and the judge.
8. What prompted the family to move to New York? Who moved to the city first? Why?
9. What does Bessie say about the extra effort that must be put forth by Negroes?
10. Discuss the main issue in "Outliving the Rebby Boys."
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)