|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the editor of the Amsterdam News?
2. Sadie is quoted as saying, "Life is short, and it's up to you to make it ____."
3. What is another name for an act of revitalization?
4. What was the name of the music teacher often visited by the sisters?
5. In what year did Hubert run for public office?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Delanys had a great amount of compassion for all but which of the following groups?
2. Bessie gave which of the following a "comeuppance" over the ordeal?
3. Out of those cases, how many did Hubert lose?
4. Where did the controversy take place?
5. Nanny had often referred to Sadie as her _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who convinced the sisters to move to Westchester? What kind of reception did the sisters receive?
2. Discuss the Delanys' involvement with the up and coming jazz scene in Harlem.
3. Discuss at least two of Bessie's major challenges at Columbia.
4. How did Sadie make extra money in the early years? What dampened the success of the business?
5. Discuss the main issue in "Outliving the Rebby Boys."
6. Discuss Hubie's role in the political arena in New York.
7. Discuss Julia's move to New York. How did Julia's presence affect Bessie's attempt to get work?
8. Sadie relays the story of one of her first experiences in New York regarding strangers. What was the experience? What did Sadie learn?
9. Discuss Bessie's early days at Columbia. Which family member was most helpful to Bessie during that time?
10. Sadie and Bessie's neighbors in the projects were upset about the actions of the neighborhood kids. How did the sisters react to the issue?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)