|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which man's assassination is not mentioned in this section?
(a) Medgar Evers.
(c) Bobby Kennedy.
(d) Martin Luther King, Jr.
2. Who built a house before the sisters moved to the area?
3. How old was Nanny at this point?
4. What word is used that means the same as angry?
5. In what month did the event occur?
Short Answer Questions
1. Sadie is quoted as saying, "Life is short, and it's up to you to make it ____."
2. What is another name for an act of revitalization?
3. Hubert was active in which famous organization?
4. In what year did the child die?
5. "Outliving the ____ Boys" details the end of the Jim Crow era.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Delanys react to the major changes that were going on around them in Harlem?
2. Discuss the effect of the Depression on Harlem. Also discuss the end of the Harlem Renaissance.
3. Discuss Hubie's role in the political arena in New York.
4. The sisters talk about their situation during World War II. Discuss at least one issue the sisters had at that time.
5. What drastic action did the sisters take to care for Nanny?
6. How did Sadie make extra money in the early years? What dampened the success of the business?
7. What does Bessie say about the extra effort that must be put forth by Negroes?
8. What was the general impression of Harlem in the 1920s and 1930s? What was the other side of the situation?
9. Examine the effect Nanny's death had on Sadie.
10. What prompted the family to move to New York? Who moved to the city first? Why?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)