|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Part five talks about the revitalization of which New York neighborhood?
(d) Greenwhich Village.
2. What was the name of Julia's husband?
3. What saying is attributed to Sadie?
(a) Live and let live.
(b) An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.
(c) The early bird catches the worm.
(d) Better late than never.
4. Bessie remarks that the Civil Rights Movement suffered from ______ after Martin Luther King, Jr. died.
(b) A lack of leadership.
5. What was the term used to describe the child's condition?
Short Answer Questions
1. Bessie objects to which of the following due to her age?
2. How old was Nanny at this point?
3. According to the sisters, Nanny's judgment was often _____.
4. What was the cause of Lucius' death?
5. Where was the garden planted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Sadie relays the story of one of her first experiences in New York regarding strangers. What was the experience? What did Sadie learn?
2. Discuss how Sadie's knowledge of vitamins and minerals benefited the family over the years.
3. The sisters talk about their situation during World War II. Discuss at least one issue the sisters had at that time.
4. Discuss the effect of the Depression on Harlem. Also discuss the end of the Harlem Renaissance.
5. Discuss Sadie's difficulties during her first year at Pratt.
6. Sadie and Bessie's neighbors in the projects were upset about the actions of the neighborhood kids. How did the sisters react to the issue?
7. What does Bessie say about the extra effort that must be put forth by Negroes?
8. Sadie was tricky when it came to getting a job at a high school. What was Sadie's trick? Why was it necessary?
9. The sisters talk about the deaths in the family. Who died first? Could any of the deaths have been prevented? Explain.
10. How did Sadie make extra money in the early years? What dampened the success of the business?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)