|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. It was common for Bessie to shoo which group away from their street?
2. Who took possession of Henry's papers and refused to give them up?
3. Which of the other children was the same age as the little boy?
4. Which of the following entertainers is not mentioned in this part of the story?
5. What was the surname of the woman who sparked great controversy in the fight against segregation?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the sisters, Nanny's judgment was often _____.
2. In what month did the crash take place?
3. Which of the children died due to a hospital's negligence?
4. Which man's assassination is not mentioned in this section?
5. What was the name of Bessie's boyfriend at the time?
Short Essay Questions
1. The sisters talk about the deaths in the family. Who died first? Could any of the deaths have been prevented? Explain.
2. Sadie and Bessie's neighbors in the projects were upset about the actions of the neighborhood kids. How did the sisters react to the issue?
3. Discuss at least two of Bessie's major challenges at Columbia.
4. Discuss the main issue in "Outliving the Rebby Boys."
5. Discuss Julia's move to New York. How did Julia's presence affect Bessie's attempt to get work?
6. How did the Delanys react to the major changes that were going on around them in Harlem?
7. Discuss how Sadie's knowledge of vitamins and minerals benefited the family over the years.
8. The sisters talk about their situation during World War II. Discuss at least one issue the sisters had at that time.
9. Discuss the effect of the Depression on Harlem. Also discuss the end of the Harlem Renaissance.
10. What is written about the assassinations of the famous leaders of the time, particularly those involved in the Civil Rights Movement?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)