|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Part five talks about the revitalization of which New York neighborhood?
(b) Greenwhich Village.
2. What type of fruit trees did the Delany sisters have in their yard?
3. Despite the little boy's physical problems it was obvious that he possessed ______.
4. Who was the editor of the Amsterdam News?
5. Sadie is quoted as saying, "Life is short, and it's up to you to make it ____."
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the child when he died?
2. What happened to the cottage in the end?
3. What type of house did the sisters buy?
4. What was the woman's first name?
5. Which of the Delany children served in World War II?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the general impression of Harlem in the 1920s and 1930s? What was the other side of the situation?
2. Sadie and Bessie's neighbors in the projects were upset about the actions of the neighborhood kids. How did the sisters react to the issue?
3. Examine the effect Nanny's death had on Sadie.
4. Examine the incident with the cottage, Bessie, and the judge.
5. As one might expect, Bessie got the last word in the book. What was Bessie's final insight?
6. What does Bessie say about the extra effort that must be put forth by Negroes?
7. Sadie relays the story of one of her first experiences in New York regarding strangers. What was the experience? What did Sadie learn?
8. Discuss Bessie's early days at Columbia. Which family member was most helpful to Bessie during that time?
9. Discuss Hubie's role in the political arena in New York.
10. Explain Bessie's first practice. Who shared the office suite with Bessie?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)