|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Outliving the ____ Boys" details the end of the Jim Crow era.
2. The family was worried when the nephew went from the family home in Harlem to boot camp in which Southern state?
(a) North Carolina.
3. The Delany in the service helped to build which famous road?
(a) Brenner Pass.
4. What was the woman's first name?
5. The sisters talk about shortages in various goods including which of the following?
Short Answer Questions
1. Three children died after Nanny's death. In which order did the children die?
2. What happened to the cottage in the end?
3. What word is used that means the same as angry?
4. Despite the little boy's physical problems it was obvious that he possessed ______.
5. It was decided that Sadie would work until age ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is written about the assassinations of the famous leaders of the time, particularly those involved in the Civil Rights Movement?
2. Discuss at least two of Bessie's major challenges at Columbia.
3. Explain Bessie's first practice. Who shared the office suite with Bessie?
4. Discuss the main issue in "Outliving the Rebby Boys."
5. As one might expect, Bessie got the last word in the book. What was Bessie's final insight?
6. Discuss Hubie's role in the political arena in New York.
7. How did Nanny's death change Sadie's role in the family? What was the family's reaction to the change?
8. Sadie was tricky when it came to getting a job at a high school. What was Sadie's trick? Why was it necessary?
9. How did the Delanys react to the major changes that were going on around them in Harlem?
10. Discuss the Delanys' involvement with the up and coming jazz scene in Harlem.
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)