|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The family was worried when the nephew went from the family home in Harlem to boot camp in which Southern state?
(b) North Carolina.
2. What type of fruit trees did the Delany sisters have in their yard?
3. In what month did the event occur?
4. Bessie gave which of the following a "comeuppance" over the ordeal?
(a) Construction crew chief.
5. The Delanys had a great amount of compassion for all but which of the following groups?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the controversy take place?
2. In what year did Bessie open her dental practice?
3. What was the name of the famous club in Harlem that catered to whites?
4. Which of the Delany children served in World War II?
5. Who built a house before the sisters moved to the area?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Sadie make extra money in the early years? What dampened the success of the business?
2. Discuss at least two of Bessie's major challenges at Columbia.
3. Discuss Sadie's difficulties during her first year at Pratt.
4. Sadie and Bessie's neighbors in the projects were upset about the actions of the neighborhood kids. How did the sisters react to the issue?
5. The sisters talk about their situation during World War II. Discuss at least one issue the sisters had at that time.
6. Discuss Julia's move to New York. How did Julia's presence affect Bessie's attempt to get work?
7. What does Bessie say about the extra effort that must be put forth by Negroes?
8. What was the general impression of Harlem in the 1920s and 1930s? What was the other side of the situation?
9. How did the Delanys react to the major changes that were going on around them in Harlem?
10. What is written about the assassinations of the famous leaders of the time, particularly those involved in the Civil Rights Movement?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)