|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Out of those cases, how many did Hubert lose?
2. Bessie objects to which of the following due to her age?
(a) Nursing homes.
3. What happened to the cottage in the end?
(a) It was deeded to Bessie and Sadie.
(b) It was moved across the street.
(c) It was torn down.
4. Sadie often shopped at what kind of store?
(a) Dry goods.
5. What was the name of the famous club in Harlem that catered to whites?
(a) Cotton Club.
(b) Carnegie Hall.
(c) Radio City.
(d) Harlem Tavern.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hubert was elected to serve in which government body?
2. How old was Nanny at this point?
3. Where did Julia go to school?
4. Hubert was active in which famous organization?
5. Where did the controversy take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Delanys react to the major changes that were going on around them in Harlem?
2. How did Sadie make extra money in the early years? What dampened the success of the business?
3. What prompted the family to move to New York? Who moved to the city first? Why?
4. The sisters talk about the deaths in the family. Who died first? Could any of the deaths have been prevented? Explain.
5. How did Nanny's death change Sadie's role in the family? What was the family's reaction to the change?
6. What drastic action did the sisters take to care for Nanny?
7. Discuss Hubie's role in the political arena in New York.
8. Discuss Bessie's early days at Columbia. Which family member was most helpful to Bessie during that time?
9. What is written about the assassinations of the famous leaders of the time, particularly those involved in the Civil Rights Movement?
10. What was the general impression of Harlem in the 1920s and 1930s? What was the other side of the situation?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)