|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Sadie's first serious boyfriend?
2. Black students in which state were the first to break the laws regarding segregation in public schools?
3. Bessie jokes that not being married meant that she would not be ____ to death.
4. In what year was Sadie born?
5. Bessie threw a fit when she realized that one of Sadie's other rooms was infested with which of the following?
Short Answer Questions
1. The owner of the house did all but which of the following jobs?
2. The event that caused the start of the Jim Crow era involved a man from which state?
3. Sadie says that Bessie has great _____ but does not use it.
4. While traveling, Sadie often stayed at the ____ house, located three miles outside Raleigh.
5. Delany went to which school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two major events were the death knells of Jim Crow?
2. What was different about the Delany family compared to other black families in the South?
3. Which segment of the population did not readily accept or celebrate the Delanys' successes?
4. What is an issue-free Negro? What is the difference between an issue-free slave and a freed slave?
5. What about the Delany sisters surprises most people? What is the general opinion of the Delany sisters' neighbors?
6. Discuss the births of the ten children, including their full names and birth years.
7. How old was Henry Delany when he was freed? How was Henry affected?
8. What was so important about Henry Delany's foray into the church?
9. What is Bessie's opinion of whites? Who was responsible for giving whites a bad name in the eyes of the Negro?
10. Discuss the age and relationship between the two sisters.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)