|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which state did Henry's family live at this time?
(b) New Jersey.
2. Bessie says she would treat her pet ____ better than she was treated by many white people.
3. What caused the injury?
(a) Schoolyard brawl.
(d) Accidental fall.
4. After Sadie graduated from St. Aug's, Henry told her that she owed it to her ______ to go on to get a higher education.
(c) Future students.
5. Bessie jokes about arriving at which place?
(a) Pearly Gates.
(c) The White House.
(d) The homestead.
Short Answer Questions
1. The writer was the daughter of which famous singer?
2. Which of the professions is not mentioned by Bessie when she talks about blacks being the backbone of the country?
3. Which of the following was not mentioned as one of the other diseases to strike St. Aug's school?
4. How long had the sisters lived in that area?
5. In what year was Sadie born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine Henry's offer to go to college. When did it occur? What concessions would Henry have to make?
2. Discuss Jim Crow Days. When did they occur? What was changed by the laws?
3. What two major events were the death knells of Jim Crow?
4. Sadie talks about the drawbacks of being old. Discuss at least two references Sadie makes to her advanced age.
5. What type of school is St. Augustine's? When was it established? Where is it located?
6. What prevented people from harassing Nanny's grandparents? What major issue occurred after the death of Mr. Miliam?
7. What was the marital status of the sisters? What was their explanation?
8. Who helped to take care of the sisters?
9. What was the reaction of many slaves when slavery ended? What did the slaves do upon being freed?
10. What was the public opinion of Henry Delany during his career? What changed the way people viewed the Delany family?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)