|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many of the children went to college?
2. What city did the Delanys refer to as their hometown?
(a) New York.
3. Sadie says that if Bessie gets her wish, she will have to live to be ____.
4. What was the surname of the author that wrote about the Delanys?
5. Sadie had to argue with which organization to receive money owed to her?
(a) Parents' bank.
(b) Social Security.
(c) Board of Education.
Short Answer Questions
1. The sisters absolutely refuse to have a ____.
2. Which one of the following was a main goal of the Jim Crow laws?
3. What was the profession for Mr. Delany?
4. The incident encouraged the child to pursue a career as a _____.
5. What caused the injury?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author say about Sadie and Bessie in regards to their age and view of history?
2. What was so important about Henry Delany's foray into the church?
3. What type of school is St. Augustine's? When was it established? Where is it located?
4. Who helped to take care of the sisters?
5. The book details the history of Nanny Logan Delany's family. What was unusual about the family dynamic?
6. Discuss the age and relationship between the two sisters.
7. Sadie talks about the drawbacks of being old. Discuss at least two references Sadie makes to her advanced age.
8. Examine Henry's offer to go to college. When did it occur? What concessions would Henry have to make?
9. Henry Beard Delany was born a slave on a Georgia plantation. Examine the Delanys' role in the household. When was Henry freed?
10. Discuss the births of the ten children, including their full names and birth years.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)