|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Delanys call racist white men?
2. What was the writer's first name?
3. What caused the injury?
(a) Schoolyard brawl.
(c) Accidental fall.
4. Delany went to which school?
(a) Howard University.
(b) Notre Dame.
(c) Southern Methodist University.
(d) St. Augustine's.
5. What city did the Delanys refer to as their hometown?
(b) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was the book written?
2. Bessie jokes about arriving at which place?
3. Sadie says that Bessie has great _____ but does not use it.
4. What word is best used to describe Bessie?
5. Although the sisters can be very different, they are _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the ages and situation between Sadie and Bessie.
2. What was different about the Delany family compared to other black families in the South?
3. What is Bessie's opinion of whites? Who was responsible for giving whites a bad name in the eyes of the Negro?
4. What is the reputation Bessie created for herself? What does Bessie think will happen to her when she dies?
5. Who helped to take care of the sisters?
6. Discuss the wedding of Henry and Nanny Delany.
7. Who was the Mock family? How were they important to the Delanys?
8. Which segment of the population did not readily accept or celebrate the Delanys' successes?
9. What was so important about Henry Delany's foray into the church?
10. What about the Delany sisters surprises most people? What is the general opinion of the Delany sisters' neighbors?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)