|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Approximately how old was Mr. Delany when he was offered the chance to go to college?
2. Nanny stood up to a woman for calling her ____, a common insult at the time.
(b) Slave child.
3. What is Bessie's real first name?
4. In what year did Sadie graduate from St. Augustine's school?
5. What was the name of the little girl in the next bed?
Short Answer Questions
1. The owner of the house did all but which of the following jobs?
2. In what year was Sadie born?
3. Which of the following adjectives was often used by the neighbors to describe the sisters?
4. Bessie jokes about arriving at which place?
5. Delany went to which school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Sadie's difficulties during her first year at Pratt.
2. Who convinced the sisters to move to Westchester? What kind of reception did the sisters receive?
3. What does the author say about Sadie and Bessie in regards to their age and view of history?
4. Where did Henry and Nanny meet? What was unusual about their wedding?
5. Examine Henry's offer to go to college. When did it occur? What concessions would Henry have to make?
6. Name at least one thing that bothered Bessie the most about the rebbys.
7. Who helped to take care of the sisters?
8. What was the reaction of many slaves when slavery ended? What did the slaves do upon being freed?
9. How was Henry Delany presented with the opportunity to go to college? What major life change was Henry asked to make?
10. Who was the Mock family? How were they important to the Delanys?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)