|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the child attend school?
(a) University of North Carolina.
(c) Shaw University.
2. According to the book, the Delanys were referred to as being at the top of black ______.
3. What was the name of Nanny's midwife?
(a) Mrs. Robertson.
(b) Mrs. Humbert.
(c) Miss Kenney.
(d) Miss Frederick.
4. Bessie threw a fit when she realized that one of Sadie's other rooms was infested with which of the following?
5. Jim Crow was a well known ____ character.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Mr. Delany when he was freed from slavery?
2. Jim Crow laws were put into effect in which year?
3. Which famous activist often visited Raleigh?
4. When someone makes a statement and is proven to be wrong, it is often said that the person has to eat ____.
5. The sisters often received visitors from people that wanted to _____ to the sisters.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the wedding of Henry and Nanny Delany.
2. What was the reaction of many slaves when slavery ended? What did the slaves do upon being freed?
3. What does the author say about Sadie and Bessie in regards to their age and view of history?
4. Discuss the births of the ten children, including their full names and birth years.
5. Name at least one thing that bothered Bessie the most about the rebbys.
6. What prevented people from harassing Nanny's grandparents? What major issue occurred after the death of Mr. Miliam?
7. Discuss the ages and situation between Sadie and Bessie.
8. What type of school is St. Augustine's? When was it established? Where is it located?
9. What was so important about Henry Delany's foray into the church?
10. How was Henry Delany presented with the opportunity to go to college? What major life change was Henry asked to make?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)