|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Sadie graduated from St. Aug's, Henry told her that she owed it to her ______ to go on to get a higher education.
(b) Future students.
2. Sadie says that if Bessie gets her wish, she will have to live to be ____.
3. What is the term used when one's parent is free, albeit with black ancestry?
4. Bessie talks about her little sister Julia and her fear of which of the following:
5. Bessie threw a fit when she realized that one of Sadie's other rooms was infested with which of the following?
Short Answer Questions
1. Sadie says the hardest thing about being old is that she no longer has many ______.
2. What was the name of Nanny's midwife?
3. If fulfilled, this wish would make Bessie as old as _____.
4. How old was Mr. Delany when he was freed from slavery?
5. The owner of the house did all but which of the following jobs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reputation Bessie created for herself? What does Bessie think will happen to her when she dies?
2. Discuss the age and relationship between the two sisters.
3. What was the marital status of the sisters? What was their explanation?
4. Where did Henry and Nanny meet? What was unusual about their wedding?
5. What two major events were the death knells of Jim Crow?
6. What prevented people from harassing Nanny's grandparents? What major issue occurred after the death of Mr. Miliam?
7. What was the reaction of many slaves when slavery ended? What did the slaves do upon being freed?
8. What does the author say about Sadie and Bessie in regards to their age and view of history?
9. What about the Delany sisters surprises most people? What is the general opinion of the Delany sisters' neighbors?
10. What type of school is St. Augustine's? When was it established? Where is it located?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)