|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bessie says she would treat her pet ____ better than she was treated by many white people.
2. Where did the sisters live?
(a) Boca Raton.
(b) New Orleans.
(d) Mount Vernon.
3. What was the surname of the author that wrote about the Delanys?
4. In what year was Sadie born?
5. Bessie jokes about arriving at which place?
(a) The homestead.
(c) Pearly Gates.
(d) The White House.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which state did Henry's family live at this time?
2. The event that caused the start of the Jim Crow era involved a man from which state?
3. What city did the Delanys refer to as their hometown?
4. Sadie says that if Bessie gets her wish, she will have to live to be ____.
5. Bessie threw a fit when she realized that one of Sadie's other rooms was infested with which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Henry Beard Delany was born a slave on a Georgia plantation. Examine the Delanys' role in the household. When was Henry freed?
2. Discuss the births of the ten children, including their full names and birth years.
3. Sadie talks about the drawbacks of being old. Discuss at least two references Sadie makes to her advanced age.
4. Name at least one thing that bothered Bessie the most about the rebbys.
5. Who helped to take care of the sisters?
6. Discuss the age and relationship between the two sisters.
7. What two major events were the death knells of Jim Crow?
8. What prevented people from harassing Nanny's grandparents? What major issue occurred after the death of Mr. Miliam?
9. Who was the Mock family? How were they important to the Delanys?
10. What type of school is St. Augustine's? When was it established? Where is it located?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)