|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word is best used to describe Bessie?
2. Where was Henry Delany born?
3. What was the name of the sisters' father?
4. The event that caused the start of the Jim Crow era involved a man from which state?
(a) North Carolina.
5. Bessie threw a fit when she realized that one of Sadie's other rooms was infested with which of the following?
Short Answer Questions
1. The women rarely used which of the following?
2. What caused the injury?
3. What is the word used that means those who tend to say negative things about others?
4. What was the surname of the author that wrote about the Delanys?
5. Jim Crow laws were put into effect in which year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was different about the Delany family compared to other black families in the South?
2. How old was Henry Delany when he was freed? How was Henry affected?
3. How was Henry Delany presented with the opportunity to go to college? What major life change was Henry asked to make?
4. What does the author say about Sadie and Bessie in regards to their age and view of history?
5. What was so important about Henry Delany's foray into the church?
6. What was the marital status of the sisters? What was their explanation?
7. Which segment of the population did not readily accept or celebrate the Delanys' successes?
8. What is an issue-free Negro? What is the difference between an issue-free slave and a freed slave?
9. The book details the history of Nanny Logan Delany's family. What was unusual about the family dynamic?
10. What prevented people from harassing Nanny's grandparents? What major issue occurred after the death of Mr. Miliam?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)