|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Henry Delany born?
2. What was the name of Nanny's midwife?
(a) Miss Frederick.
(b) Miss Kenney.
(c) Mrs. Robertson.
(d) Mrs. Humbert.
3. Bessie says she would treat her pet ____ better than she was treated by many white people.
4. Bessie jokes that not being married meant that she would not be ____ to death.
5. Sadie says that if Bessie gets her wish, she will have to live to be ____.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bessie believes that many people see her as being _____.
2. Bessie says she intends to live to be how old?
3. Which of the professions is not mentioned by Bessie when she talks about blacks being the backbone of the country?
4. Jim Crow laws were put into effect in which year?
5. Which famous activist often visited Raleigh?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was different about the Delany family compared to other black families in the South?
2. What prevented people from harassing Nanny's grandparents? What major issue occurred after the death of Mr. Miliam?
3. Discuss the ages and situation between Sadie and Bessie.
4. Discuss the wedding of Henry and Nanny Delany.
5. What was so important about Henry Delany's foray into the church?
6. Name at least one thing that bothered Bessie the most about the rebbys.
7. The living arrangements for the sisters were somewhat unusual considering their respective ages. What was the arrangement?
8. How old was Henry Delany when he was freed? How was Henry affected?
9. Where did Henry and Nanny meet? What was unusual about their wedding?
10. Discuss the births of the ten children, including their full names and birth years.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)