|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which famous activist often visited Raleigh?
2. Grandpa Miliam once told Nanny that every one of her children could have been a:
(b) Snake oil salesman.
3. When someone makes a statement and is proven to be wrong, it is often said that the person has to eat ____.
(a) Pig's feet.
4. Which of the following was not mentioned as one of the other diseases to strike St. Aug's school?
(c) Rheumatic fever.
5. Where did the sisters live?
(b) New Orleans.
(c) Boca Raton.
(d) Mount Vernon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives was often used by the neighbors to describe the sisters?
2. Nanny's family lived in a town that had the same name as which animal?
3. What was the profession for Mr. Delany?
4. Jim Crow laws were put into effect in which year?
5. The sisters felt that going to the doctor would benefit them little and that they would most likely be treated like a _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Sadie talks about the drawbacks of being old. Discuss at least two references Sadie makes to her advanced age.
2. Who was the Mock family? How were they important to the Delanys?
3. What was the public opinion of Henry Delany during his career? What changed the way people viewed the Delany family?
4. What two major events were the death knells of Jim Crow?
5. Name at least one thing that bothered Bessie the most about the rebbys.
6. Which segment of the population did not readily accept or celebrate the Delanys' successes?
7. Who helped to take care of the sisters?
8. What was the reaction of many slaves when slavery ended? What did the slaves do upon being freed?
9. What type of school is St. Augustine's? When was it established? Where is it located?
10. Discuss the ages and situation between Sadie and Bessie.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)