|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Nanny's sister?
2. Jim Crow laws were put into effect in which year?
3. Bessie believes that many people see her as being _____.
4. The sisters felt that going to the doctor would benefit them little and that they would most likely be treated like a _____.
(a) Rare human specimen.
(c) Scientific experiment.
(d) Sideshow act.
5. Which of the children sustained a major injury to the hand?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the little girl in the next bed?
2. What food item did the girl give to Bessie?
3. Black students in which state were the first to break the laws regarding segregation in public schools?
4. Sadie ended up teaching all over which North Carolina county?
5. Which famous activist often visited Raleigh?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss how Sadie's knowledge of vitamins and minerals benefited the family over the years.
2. What prompted the family to move to New York? Who moved to the city first? Why?
3. Sadie talks about the drawbacks of being old. Discuss at least two references Sadie makes to her advanced age.
4. Discuss the main issue in "Outliving the Rebby Boys."
5. Discuss the Delanys' involvement with the up and coming jazz scene in Harlem.
6. Discuss the age and relationship between the two sisters.
7. Sadie and Bessie's neighbors in the projects were upset about the actions of the neighborhood kids. How did the sisters react to the issue?
8. What was the marital status of the sisters? What was their explanation?
9. What was the reaction of many slaves when slavery ended? What did the slaves do upon being freed?
10. The living arrangements for the sisters were somewhat unusual considering their respective ages. What was the arrangement?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)