|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word is best used to describe Bessie?
2. In what year did Henry and Nanny get married?
3. In what month was Sadie born?
4. Which one of the following was a main goal of the Jim Crow laws?
(a) Higher taxes.
(b) Public speaking.
(c) Right to vote.
(d) Land ownership.
5. What was the writer's first name?
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Delany often told Bessie that she could catch more flies with ____ than with vinegar.
2. Which famous activist often visited Raleigh?
3. Delany went to which school?
4. In what year did Sadie graduate from St. Augustine's school?
5. Sadie says the hardest thing about being old is that she no longer has many ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the general impression of Harlem in the 1920s and 1930s? What was the other side of the situation?
2. Discuss Bessie's early days at Columbia. Which family member was most helpful to Bessie during that time?
3. What actions did the Mocks take that was illegal?
4. The sisters talk about their situation during World War II. Discuss at least one issue the sisters had at that time.
5. Discuss Sadie's difficulties during her first year at Pratt.
6. Discuss how Sadie's knowledge of vitamins and minerals benefited the family over the years.
7. Discuss the Delanys' involvement with the up and coming jazz scene in Harlem.
8. Where did Henry and Nanny meet? What was unusual about their wedding?
9. Who was the Mock family? How were they important to the Delanys?
10. Discuss the births of the ten children, including their full names and birth years.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)