|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Bessie?
2. In what year was the book written?
3. It is widely believed that the Jim Crow laws were responsible for introducing which of the following?
(c) Civil Rights Movement.
4. What was the profession for Mr. Delany?
5. What food item did the girl give to Bessie?
(a) Mashed potatoes.
(c) Ice cream.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the book, the Delanys were referred to as being at the top of black ______.
2. What is Bessie's real first name?
3. Bessie ended up staying in the hospital for how many weeks?
4. The incident encouraged the child to pursue a career as a _____.
5. What is the name of Nanny's sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author say about Sadie and Bessie in regards to their age and view of history?
2. What two major events were the death knells of Jim Crow?
3. Examine Henry's offer to go to college. When did it occur? What concessions would Henry have to make?
4. What actions did the Mocks take that was illegal?
5. What was the marital status of the sisters? What was their explanation?
6. What is an issue-free Negro? What is the difference between an issue-free slave and a freed slave?
7. What is Bessie's opinion of whites? Who was responsible for giving whites a bad name in the eyes of the Negro?
8. Sadie talks about the drawbacks of being old. Discuss at least two references Sadie makes to her advanced age.
9. Henry Beard Delany was born a slave on a Georgia plantation. Examine the Delanys' role in the household. When was Henry freed?
10. Where did Henry and Nanny meet? What was unusual about their wedding?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)