|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The reason for the refusal was that the members of the organization thought Sadie was ____.
(b) Working at a new job.
(c) Double dipping.
2. The event that caused the start of the Jim Crow era involved a man from which state?
(a) North Carolina.
3. What caused the injury?
(b) Accidental fall.
(d) Schoolyard brawl.
4. The women rarely used which of the following?
5. What was the name of Nanny's midwife?
(a) Mrs. Robertson.
(b) Mrs. Humbert.
(c) Miss Kenney.
(d) Miss Frederick.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nanny stood up to a woman for calling her ____, a common insult at the time.
2. According to the book, the Delanys were referred to as being at the top of black ______.
3. Black students in which state were the first to break the laws regarding segregation in public schools?
4. The sisters think that many men may have been put off by their _____.
5. Bessie refers to which saint?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the public opinion of Henry Delany during his career? What changed the way people viewed the Delany family?
2. Name at least one thing that bothered Bessie the most about the rebbys.
3. Examine Henry's offer to go to college. When did it occur? What concessions would Henry have to make?
4. Sadie talks about the drawbacks of being old. Discuss at least two references Sadie makes to her advanced age.
5. What gift of Bessie's was not readily acknowledged? Why was it kept under wraps?
6. What is the reputation Bessie created for herself? What does Bessie think will happen to her when she dies?
7. What was different about the Delany family compared to other black families in the South?
8. What type of school is St. Augustine's? When was it established? Where is it located?
9. How old was Henry Delany when he was freed? How was Henry affected?
10. What was the marital status of the sisters? What was their explanation?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)