Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sadie says that Bessie has great _____ but does not use it.
(a) Singing skill.
(b) Teaching ability.
(c) Decorating technique.
2. Bessie ended up staying in the hospital for how many weeks?
3. Bessie threw a fit when she realized that one of Sadie's other rooms was infested with which of the following?
4. The reason for the refusal was that the members of the organization thought Sadie was ____.
(a) Double dipping.
(b) Working at a new job.
5. Mr. Delany often told Bessie that she could catch more flies with ____ than with vinegar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sadie's real first name?
2. Sadie had to argue with which organization to receive money owed to her?
3. What did the Delanys call racist white men?
4. What is Bessie's real first name?
5. Bessie says she would treat her pet ____ better than she was treated by many white people.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was so important about Henry Delany's foray into the church?
2. How did Sadie make extra money in the early years? What dampened the success of the business?
3. Where did Henry and Nanny meet? What was unusual about their wedding?
4. Sadie relays the story of one of her first experiences in New York regarding strangers. What was the experience? What did Sadie learn?
5. What was the general impression of Harlem in the 1920s and 1930s? What was the other side of the situation?
6. What was the reaction of many slaves when slavery ended? What did the slaves do upon being freed?
7. The book details the history of Nanny Logan Delany's family. What was unusual about the family dynamic?
8. Henry Beard Delany was born a slave on a Georgia plantation. Examine the Delanys' role in the household. When was Henry freed?
9. Discuss Sadie's difficulties during her first year at Pratt.
10. What is written about the assassinations of the famous leaders of the time, particularly those involved in the Civil Rights Movement?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)