|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many of the children went to college?
2. What is Bessie's real first name?
3. What caused the injury?
(a) Schoolyard brawl.
(c) Accidental fall.
4. Nanny stood up to a woman for calling her ____, a common insult at the time.
(c) Slave child.
5. In which state was this town located?
(b) West Virginia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the writer's first name?
2. What was the name of the small town where the house was located?
3. What is the name of Nanny's sister?
4. How many Delany children were there in total?
5. Where did the sisters live?
Short Essay Questions
1. The book details the history of Nanny Logan Delany's family. What was unusual about the family dynamic?
2. Examine Henry's offer to go to college. When did it occur? What concessions would Henry have to make?
3. Sadie talks about the drawbacks of being old. Discuss at least two references Sadie makes to her advanced age.
4. Discuss Jim Crow Days. When did they occur? What was changed by the laws?
5. What was different about the Delany family compared to other black families in the South?
6. What was the marital status of the sisters? What was their explanation?
7. How was Henry Delany presented with the opportunity to go to college? What major life change was Henry asked to make?
8. Discuss the ages and situation between Sadie and Bessie.
9. What is Bessie's opinion of whites? Who was responsible for giving whites a bad name in the eyes of the Negro?
10. Where did Henry and Nanny meet? What was unusual about their wedding?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)