|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What food item did the girl give to Bessie?
(b) Ice cream.
(c) Mashed potatoes.
2. When someone makes a statement and is proven to be wrong, it is often said that the person has to eat ____.
(b) Pig's feet.
3. In what year did Henry become a bishop?
4. The incident encouraged the child to pursue a career as a _____.
5. Sadie had to argue with which organization to receive money owed to her?
(a) Parents' bank.
(c) Board of Education.
(d) Social Security.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the sisters' father?
2. Sadie says that Bessie has great _____ but does not use it.
3. Grandpa Miliam once told Nanny that every one of her children could have been a:
4. It is widely believed that the Jim Crow laws were responsible for introducing which of the following?
5. In what year did Sadie graduate from St. Augustine's school?
Short Essay Questions
1. The sisters talk about the deaths in the family. Who died first? Could any of the deaths have been prevented? Explain.
2. What about the Delany sisters surprises most people? What is the general opinion of the Delany sisters' neighbors?
3. What gift of Bessie's was not readily acknowledged? Why was it kept under wraps?
4. What two major events were the death knells of Jim Crow?
5. What type of school is St. Augustine's? When was it established? Where is it located?
6. Sadie and Bessie's neighbors in the projects were upset about the actions of the neighborhood kids. How did the sisters react to the issue?
7. Examine the effect Nanny's death had on Sadie.
8. As one might expect, Bessie got the last word in the book. What was Bessie's final insight?
9. Examine the incident with the cottage, Bessie, and the judge.
10. How old was Henry Delany when he was freed? How was Henry affected?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)