|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did the Jim Crow laws take effect on a federal level?
2. How old was Mr. Delany when he was freed from slavery?
3. Nanny stood up to a woman for calling her ____, a common insult at the time.
(a) Slave child.
4. While traveling, Sadie often stayed at the ____ house, located three miles outside Raleigh.
5. Where did the child attend school?
(b) University of North Carolina.
(d) Shaw University.
Short Answer Questions
1. Delany was required to convert to which faith?
2. What food item did the girl give to Bessie?
3. How old is Sadie?
4. What was the name of the little girl in the next bed?
5. What was the name of Sadie's first serious boyfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the wedding of Henry and Nanny Delany.
2. What does the author say about Sadie and Bessie in regards to their age and view of history?
3. How was Henry Delany presented with the opportunity to go to college? What major life change was Henry asked to make?
4. What was so important about Henry Delany's foray into the church?
5. What actions did the Mocks take that was illegal?
6. Discuss the births of the ten children, including their full names and birth years.
7. Where did Henry and Nanny meet? What was unusual about their wedding?
8. What is the reputation Bessie created for herself? What does Bessie think will happen to her when she dies?
9. What was the public opinion of Henry Delany during his career? What changed the way people viewed the Delany family?
10. Sadie talks about the drawbacks of being old. Discuss at least two references Sadie makes to her advanced age.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)