|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the book, the Delanys were referred to as being at the top of black ______.
2. How old is Sadie?
3. Which of the professions is not mentioned by Bessie when she talks about blacks being the backbone of the country?
4. Mr. Delany often told Bessie that she could catch more flies with ____ than with vinegar.
5. In what year did Sadie graduate from St. Augustine's school?
6. In what month was Sadie born?
7. What is Bessie's real first name?
8. What was the name of the small town where the house was located?
9. What was the surname of the author that wrote about the Delanys?
10. What word did people use to describe Bessie as a child?
11. What is a more common name for a "bull-bat?"
(a) Fruit bat.
12. Bessie jokes that not being married meant that she would not be ____ to death.
13. The incident encouraged the child to pursue a career as a _____.
14. Jim Crow was a well known ____ character.
15. What was Sadie's profession?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which famous activist often visited Raleigh?
2. What did the Delanys call racist white men?
3. In what year was Sadie born?
4. When someone makes a statement and is proven to be wrong, it is often said that the person has to eat ____.
5. What was the name of the sisters' father?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)