|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Bessie when she left home by herself for the first time?
2. Which of the following was not mentioned as one of the other diseases to strike St. Aug's school?
(b) Rheumatic fever.
3. Sadie says that Bessie has great _____ but does not use it.
(a) Decorating technique.
(b) Singing skill.
(d) Teaching ability.
4. What is the term used when one's parent is free, albeit with black ancestry?
5. Although the sisters can be very different, they are _____.
6. What did the Delanys call racist white men?
7. Black students in which state were the first to break the laws regarding segregation in public schools?
8. In what year did Henry and Nanny get married?
9. What word is best used to describe Bessie?
10. Sadie ended up teaching all over which North Carolina county?
11. It is widely believed that the Jim Crow laws were responsible for introducing which of the following?
(a) Civil Rights Movement.
12. What was Sadie's profession?
13. In what state were the Delanys raised?
(a) North Carolina.
(b) South Carolina.
14. What was the name of the little girl in the next bed?
15. The women rarely used which of the following?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the book, the Delanys were referred to as being at the top of black ______.
2. What was the name of the sisters' father?
3. What is the word used that means those who tend to say negative things about others?
4. Bessie talks about her little sister Julia and her fear of which of the following:
5. What is a more common name for a "bull-bat?"
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)