|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word did people use to describe Bessie as a child?
2. What is Bessie's real first name?
3. In which state was this town located?
(d) West Virginia.
4. Delany was required to convert to which faith?
5. How old was Mr. Delany when he was freed from slavery?
6. In what year did the Jim Crow laws take effect on a federal level?
7. What word is best used to describe Bessie?
8. Which famous case was responsible for the introduction of the laws?
(a) Roe v. Wade.
(b) Delany v. North Carolina.
(c) Brown v. The Board of Education.
(d) Plessy v. Ferguson.
9. The writer was the daughter of which famous singer?
(a) Billie Holiday.
(b) Lena Horne.
(c) Ella Fitzgerald.
(d) Sarah Vaughn.
10. In what year did Henry become a bishop?
11. How long had the sisters lived in that area?
(a) 75 years.
(b) 55 years.
(c) 60 years.
(d) 80 years.
12. Nanny's family lived in a town that had the same name as which animal?
13. Which of the following adjectives was often used by the neighbors to describe the sisters?
14. The sisters think that many men may have been put off by their _____.
15. The incident encouraged the child to pursue a career as a _____.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bessie jokes that not being married meant that she would not be ____ to death.
2. After Sadie graduated from St. Aug's, Henry told her that she owed it to her ______ to go on to get a higher education.
3. What was the name of the sisters' father?
4. What was Sadie's profession?
5. What is a more common name for a "bull-bat?"
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)