|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While traveling, Sadie often stayed at the ____ house, located three miles outside Raleigh.
2. What is Bessie's real first name?
3. After Sadie graduated from St. Aug's, Henry told her that she owed it to her ______ to go on to get a higher education.
(d) Future students.
4. Bessie says she intends to live to be how old?
5. Which of the following was not mentioned as one of the other diseases to strike St. Aug's school?
(a) Rheumatic fever.
6. Which one of the following was a main goal of the Jim Crow laws?
(a) Land ownership.
(b) Public speaking.
(c) Higher taxes.
(d) Right to vote.
7. Nanny stood up to a woman for calling her ____, a common insult at the time.
(c) Slave child.
8. Black students in which state were the first to break the laws regarding segregation in public schools?
9. What is the name of Nanny's sister?
10. What was the name of the town where Nanny's sister lived?
(a) Lynch's Station.
(b) Brown Mountain.
(c) Harper's Ferry.
(d) Port Royal.
11. What was the name of Sadie's first serious boyfriend?
12. What is a more common name for a "bull-bat?"
(a) Fruit bat.
13. The sisters often received visitors from people that wanted to _____ to the sisters.
(a) Be kind.
(c) Be argumentative.
14. The writer was the daughter of which famous singer?
(a) Billie Holiday.
(b) Sarah Vaughn.
(c) Ella Fitzgerald.
(d) Lena Horne.
15. Where did the sisters live?
(a) New Orleans.
(b) Mount Vernon.
(c) Boca Raton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Delany was required to convert to which faith?
2. When Bessie was about 15, the region was struck with a _____ epidemic.
3. In what state were the Delanys raised?
4. What was Bessie's profession?
5. Which of the professions is not mentioned by Bessie when she talks about blacks being the backbone of the country?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)