|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jim Crow laws were put into effect in which year?
2. Mr. Delany often told Bessie that she could catch more flies with ____ than with vinegar.
3. How many of the children went to college?
4. What was the surname of the author that wrote about the Delanys?
5. Delany went to which school?
(a) St. Augustine's.
(b) Howard University.
(c) Notre Dame.
(d) Southern Methodist University.
6. How long had the sisters lived in that area?
(a) 60 years.
(b) 80 years.
(c) 55 years.
(d) 75 years.
7. What was the name of Bessie's pet pig?
8. It is widely believed that the Jim Crow laws were responsible for introducing which of the following?
(c) Civil Rights Movement.
9. Although the sisters can be very different, they are _____.
10. Henry believed that the epidemic was caused by which of the following?
(a) Lack of sanitary conditions.
(b) Poor hygiene.
(c) Contaminated water.
(d) Spoiled food.
11. When Bessie was about 15, the region was struck with a _____ epidemic.
(a) Scarlet fever.
(b) Chicken pox.
12. In what year did the Jim Crow laws take effect on a federal level?
13. What word did people use to describe Bessie as a child?
14. Where did the sisters live?
(b) New Orleans.
(c) Mount Vernon.
(d) Boca Raton.
15. In what year did Henry become a bishop?
Short Answer Questions
1. Bessie jokes that not being married meant that she would not be ____ to death.
2. While traveling, Sadie often stayed at the ____ house, located three miles outside Raleigh.
3. In what year was Sadie born?
4. Bessie talks about her little sister Julia and her fear of which of the following:
5. After Sadie graduated from St. Aug's, Henry told her that she owed it to her ______ to go on to get a higher education.
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)