|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Neither sister had ever _____.
(a) Gone to school.
(c) Moved away from home.
(d) Learned to read.
2. What was the writer's first name?
3. The sisters think that many men may have been put off by their _____.
4. Nanny's family lived in a town that had the same name as which animal?
5. Which of the children sustained a major injury to the hand?
6. What is the term used when one's parent is free, albeit with black ancestry?
7. The sisters felt that going to the doctor would benefit them little and that they would most likely be treated like a _____.
(a) Sideshow act.
(c) Scientific experiment.
(d) Rare human specimen.
8. What was the name of Sadie's first serious boyfriend?
9. How old is Bessie?
10. In what year was Sadie born?
11. Bessie ended up staying in the hospital for how many weeks?
12. Grandpa Miliam once told Nanny that every one of her children could have been a:
(a) Snake oil salesman.
13. What was the name of Nanny's midwife?
(a) Mrs. Humbert.
(b) Miss Frederick.
(c) Miss Kenney.
(d) Mrs. Robertson.
14. The writer was the daughter of which famous singer?
(a) Sarah Vaughn.
(b) Billie Holiday.
(c) Ella Fitzgerald.
(d) Lena Horne.
15. Which of the professions is not mentioned by Bessie when she talks about blacks being the backbone of the country?
Short Answer Questions
1. What food item did the girl give to Bessie?
2. What was the name of the small town where the house was located?
3. Bessie believes that many people see her as being _____.
4. Black students in which state were the first to break the laws regarding segregation in public schools?
5. What is the word used that means those who tend to say negative things about others?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)