|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sadie says the hardest thing about being old is that she no longer has many ______.
2. How old was Bessie when she left home by herself for the first time?
3. It is widely believed that the Jim Crow laws were responsible for introducing which of the following?
(a) Civil Rights Movement.
4. Where did the sisters live?
(a) Boca Raton.
(c) Mount Vernon.
(d) New Orleans.
5. What is a more common name for a "bull-bat?"
(a) Fruit bat.
6. Which famous activist often visited Raleigh?
7. Bessie says she would treat her pet ____ better than she was treated by many white people.
8. What was the name of the sisters' father?
9. The writer was the daughter of which famous singer?
(a) Sarah Vaughn.
(b) Billie Holiday.
(c) Lena Horne.
(d) Ella Fitzgerald.
10. Sadie says that if Bessie gets her wish, she will have to live to be ____.
11. What word did people use to describe Bessie as a child?
12. Jim Crow laws were put into effect in which year?
13. Grandpa Miliam once told Nanny that every one of her children could have been a:
(c) Snake oil salesman.
14. Which of the children sustained a major injury to the hand?
15. What was Bessie's profession?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the profession for Mr. Delany?
2. What was the surname of the author that wrote about the Delanys?
3. Which of the professions is not mentioned by Bessie when she talks about blacks being the backbone of the country?
4. Bessie jokes about arriving at which place?
5. The event that caused the start of the Jim Crow era involved a man from which state?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)