|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Bessie when she left home by herself for the first time?
2. The reason for the refusal was that the members of the organization thought Sadie was ____.
(a) Working at a new job.
(b) Double dipping.
3. Sadie had to argue with which organization to receive money owed to her?
(a) Parents' bank.
(b) Board of Education.
(c) Social Security.
4. What was the name of the sisters' father?
5. Mr. Delany often told Bessie that she could catch more flies with ____ than with vinegar.
6. Sadie says that Bessie has great _____ but does not use it.
(a) Teaching ability.
(b) Decorating technique.
(d) Singing skill.
7. Bessie talks about her little sister Julia and her fear of which of the following:
8. Bessie jokes about arriving at which place?
(a) The homestead.
(b) The White House.
(d) Pearly Gates.
9. Nanny stood up to a woman for calling her ____, a common insult at the time.
(d) Slave child.
10. Bessie jokes that not being married meant that she would not be ____ to death.
11. What is the term used when one's parent is free, albeit with black ancestry?
12. While traveling, Sadie often stayed at the ____ house, located three miles outside Raleigh.
13. Jim Crow laws were put into effect in which year?
14. Jim Crow was a well known ____ character.
15. Nanny came from which state?
(a) North Carolina.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives was often used by the neighbors to describe the sisters?
2. Grandpa Miliam once told Nanny that every one of her children could have been a:
3. Bessie says she intends to live to be how old?
4. Bessie refers to which saint?
5. The sisters absolutely refuse to have a ____.
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)