|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Sadie graduated from St. Aug's, Henry told her that she owed it to her ______ to go on to get a higher education.
(b) Future students.
2. What word is best used to describe Bessie?
3. Neither sister had ever _____.
(a) Learned to read.
(b) Moved away from home.
(c) Gone to school.
4. The sisters absolutely refuse to have a ____.
5. Which of the professions is not mentioned by Bessie when she talks about blacks being the backbone of the country?
6. What was Sadie's profession?
7. The sisters think that many men may have been put off by their _____.
8. How long had the sisters lived in that area?
(a) 60 years.
(b) 75 years.
(c) 80 years.
(d) 55 years.
9. Delany was required to convert to which faith?
10. What is Sadie's real first name?
11. Approximately how old was Mr. Delany when he was offered the chance to go to college?
12. What was the writer's first name?
13. Nanny stood up to a woman for calling her ____, a common insult at the time.
(a) Slave child.
14. How old was Bessie when she left home by herself for the first time?
15. What is the word used that means those who tend to say negative things about others?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the surname of the author that wrote about the Delanys?
2. When Bessie was about 15, the region was struck with a _____ epidemic.
3. It is widely believed that the Jim Crow laws were responsible for introducing which of the following?
4. What did the Delanys call racist white men?
5. How old was Mr. Delany when he was freed from slavery?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)