|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bessie ended up staying in the hospital for how many weeks?
2. Bessie believes that many people see her as being _____.
3. How many of the children went to college?
4. How old is Bessie?
5. Which of the professions is not mentioned by Bessie when she talks about blacks being the backbone of the country?
6. The writer was the daughter of which famous singer?
(a) Ella Fitzgerald.
(b) Lena Horne.
(c) Sarah Vaughn.
(d) Billie Holiday.
7. Where was Henry Delany born?
8. After Sadie graduated from St. Aug's, Henry told her that she owed it to her ______ to go on to get a higher education.
(b) Future students.
9. Neither sister had ever _____.
(a) Gone to school.
(b) Learned to read.
(d) Moved away from home.
10. Which famous activist often visited Raleigh?
11. In what year did Henry and Nanny get married?
12. In what year did the Jim Crow laws take effect on a federal level?
13. In what year was Sadie born?
14. Sadie says that if Bessie gets her wish, she will have to live to be ____.
15. What is a more common name for a "bull-bat?"
(d) Fruit bat.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which state did Henry's family live at this time?
2. Where did the child attend school?
3. Bessie jokes about arriving at which place?
4. Nanny came from which state?
5. In what month was Sadie born?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)