Chapter abstracts are short descriptions of events that occur in each chapter. They highlight major plot events and detail the important relationships and characteristics of characters and objects. The Chapter Abstracts can be used to review what the students have read, or to prepare the students for what they will read. Hand the abstracts out in class as a study guide, or use them as a "key" for a class discussion. They are relatively brief, but can serve to be an excellent refresher of the text for either a student or teacher.
Parts 1-2 Abstract
* Sadie and Bessie Delany are both over 100 years old.
* Sadie was the older sister.
* The Delany family was a prominent force in the community despite race issues.
Parts 3-4 Abstract
* Henry Delany is introduced.
* Delany was a slave until age 7.
* Delany converted to the Episcopal Church to obtain a scholarship to college.
Part 5 Abstract
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)