Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hattie see with Leafie?
2. What gives Hattie warning that someone is approaching?
3. What is Richey going to pick up for Karl?
4. What does Traft say the person he is harassing must do to demonstrate loyalty to the United States?
5. What does Hattie have Chase doing?
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Kirby Larson.
2. What in Kirby Larson's background may have helped her in writing "Hattie Big Sky"? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Hattie Big Sky". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Larson chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in "Hattie Big Sky". Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Larson chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Larson's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Larson use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme.)
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of "Hattie Big Sky" and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of "Hattie Big Sky" and why?
3. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)