|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Elmer Ren?
2. What does Hattie see with Leafie?
3. Who is Traft and others harassing?
4. What happens that makes Hattie terrified?
5. What is Richey going to pick up for Karl?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hattie learn about birthing babies the hard way?
2. What has Perilee asked of Karl concerning the harassment of them because Karl is German?
3. What do they have to do with the new baby since she is premature?
4. What happens to Hattie that Traft helps her?
5. What epidemic strikes the area where Hattie lives and what does Leafie do?
6. What does Traft have to say as he stops by and waters his horse?
7. What troubling news does Rooster Jim bring to Hattie, and what is the outcome?
8. How does Hattie acquire chickens and what does she have to do to keep them safe?
9. What does Hattie think about after witnessing events at the Ren homestead?
10. What does Charlie write to Hattie in a somber letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Hattie Big Sky" belongs to the teen historical fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fictional memoir genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a teen historical fiction and teen fiction?
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and sometimes it is the other way around. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think "Hattie Big Sky" is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not? Do you think "Hattie Big Sky" ends on a happy note? Why or why not.
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "Hattie Big Sky" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why this story is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)