Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hattie see with Leafie?
2. What gives Hattie warning that someone is approaching?
3. What is Richey going to pick up for Karl?
4. What does Traft say the person he is harassing must do to demonstrate loyalty to the United States?
5. What does Hattie have Chase doing?
Essay Topic 1
The Spanish Influenza of 1918, makes it way through much of the world and greatly impacts the lives of those who live during that time. Discuss the following:
1. Research the Spanish Influenza epidemic of 1918, and write an informative essay on what you learn. Include answers to the following questions: 1. How much of the world is impacted by this particular epidemic? 2. What is the death toll? 3. How did this epidemic affect the outcome and/or progress of World War I? 4. What were the symptoms and treatments of the disease?
2. Discuss how the flu epidemic impacts the lives of those in the area where Hattie lives.
3. Research and learn about your own family's past and find out (if possible) is your ancestors were impacted by the disease and write about what you learn.
Essay Topic 2
In most fiction, readers would like all the loose ends to be neatly "tied up." Discuss the following:
1. Do you think "Hattie Big Sky" is successful as a teen historical fiction? Why or why not.
2. What about this book would motivate you to read another of Kirby Larson's western novels? What would discourage you from doing so?
3. Were all the "loose ends" satisfactorily settled for you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "Hattie Big Sky" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1, and judge if "Hattie Big Sky" is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Hattie Big Sky" a successful novel? What about teens?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)