|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rooster Jim use as a trellis for his string beans?
2. Why does Rooster Jim land in a hay bale?
3. Who is the "doctor" in the area?
4. What does President Wilson want on September 12?
5. What has to be done for Charlotte?
Short Essay Questions
1. What epidemic strikes the area where Hattie lives and what does Leafie do?
2. What does Hattie's next installment describe?
3. How does Elmer Junior intervene for his father and what is the result?
4. What are Hattie and Perilee working on as Perilee waits to deliver her baby, and what does Perilee promise?
5. What do Rooster Jim and Hattie say about how the war is costing them?
6. What do they have to do with the new baby since she is premature?
7. Who comes to help Hattie with the threshing and how does Chase contribute?
8. How does Rooster Jim end up on top of a hay bale?
9. What does Hattie think about after witnessing events at the Ren homestead?
10. How does Hattie learn about birthing babies the hard way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Hattie Big Sky".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of the story. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of the novel. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "Hattie Big Sky" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1, and judge if "Hattie Big Sky" is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Hattie Big Sky" a successful novel? What about teens?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of "Hattie Big Sky" and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of "Hattie Big Sky" and why?
3. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)