|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hattie go after cleaning herself up and taking special care with her grooming?
2. What month is coming up shortly?
3. What is Rooster Jim's real name?
4. Of what does Perilee remind Hattie at the grocery store?
5. What does Hattie discuss with Mr. Ebgard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hattie's newest challenge in homesteading, and how has Uncle Chester helped?
2. What is the first homesteading lesson Hattie learns the next morning as she goes to draw water for her coffee?
3. Describe the interaction between Traft and Hattie on April 2.
4. Who arrives to pick Mattie up in Wolf Point, and why do they spend the night there?
5. With what does Perilee leave Hattie as they drop her off at her new home, and what does Hattie give her in return?
6. What happens the next day after the dance to the Mueller's barn?
7. Explain the situation that changes the friendly reception at the church for Hattie.
8. Where does Hattie go to live at age 13, and what is Ivy's reaction to Hattie?
9. Who helps Hattie in the field the next day and how does he respond to her thanks?
10. What neighbor does Hattie meet in the local grocery store and what does he tell her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Hattie Big Sky". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Larson chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in "Hattie Big Sky". Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Larson chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Larson's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Larson use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme.)
Essay Topic 2
The Spanish Influenza of 1918, makes it way through much of the world and greatly impacts the lives of those who live during that time. Discuss the following:
1. Research the Spanish Influenza epidemic of 1918, and write an informative essay on what you learn. Include answers to the following questions: 1. How much of the world is impacted by this particular epidemic? 2. What is the death toll? 3. How did this epidemic affect the outcome and/or progress of World War I? 4. What were the symptoms and treatments of the disease?
2. Discuss how the flu epidemic impacts the lives of those in the area where Hattie lives.
3. Research and learn about your own family's past and find out (if possible) is your ancestors were impacted by the disease and write about what you learn.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Hattie Big Sky" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,246 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)