|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Traft Martin ask Hattie?
2. How old does Hattie feel she'll be before she is finished plowing?
3. What happens to Violet's tail?
4. How far is Hattie's homestead from Vida?
5. What is one of Hattie's daily challenges?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hattie write to Uncle Holt and Charlie and who mails them for her?
2. What does Karl say Hattie needs to do about plowing, and how does Hattie feel about plowing?
3. Explain the situation that changes the friendly reception at the church for Hattie.
4. What happens when Perilee and the children go with Hattie to church?
5. What neighbor does Hattie meet in the local grocery store and what does he tell her?
6. What happens the next day after the dance to the Mueller's barn?
7. How does Hattie find a small source of income for herself?
8. What are Hattie's two animals like?
9. What surprises Hattie while she is in her cabin in the middle of a violent storm?
10. Who helps Hattie in the field the next day and how does he respond to her thanks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Understanding the setting, both the place and time, helps the reader to enjoy a novel. Discuss the following:
1. Research Montana of the early 20th century, and then write an informative essay about the social and geographical aspects.
2. Research the treatment of German nationals and immigrants in the United States during WWI, and then write an informative essay about what you learn. Compare the information to what you read in "Hattie Big Sky".
3. Compare/contrast the life of someone in the early 20th century with that of a young person today.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Hattie Big Sky".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of the story. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of the novel. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Hattie Big Sky" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)