|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hattie write to tell of her move to Montana?
2. When does Hattie's uncle Holt take her into his home?
3. Why is Hattie embarrassed when Traft comes in her house?
4. What is Aunt Ivy's perspective on Hattie's staying with them?
5. What does Taft say might be a problem in the community?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Saboe announce?
2. What does Hattie write to Uncle Holt and Charlie and who mails them for her?
3. Who helps Hattie in the field the next day and how does he respond to her thanks?
4. What does Leafie say about Traft Martin when Hattie sees Leafie at the dance?
5. What happens the next day after the dance to the Mueller's barn?
6. How does Hattie defuse Traft's aggression towards Mr. Saboe?
7. Who has been Hattie's main supporters when she comes to live with Uncle Holt and Aunt Ivy?
8. What neighbor does Hattie meet in the local grocery store and what does he tell her?
9. Explain the situation that changes the friendly reception at the church for Hattie.
10. Who arrives to pick Mattie up in Wolf Point, and why do they spend the night there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Kirby Larson.
2. What in Kirby Larson's background may have helped her in writing "Hattie Big Sky"? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
"Hattie Big Sky" belongs to the teen historical fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fictional memoir genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a teen historical fiction and teen fiction?
Essay Topic 3
The Spanish Influenza of 1918, makes it way through much of the world and greatly impacts the lives of those who live during that time. Discuss the following:
1. Research the Spanish Influenza epidemic of 1918, and write an informative essay on what you learn. Include answers to the following questions: 1. How much of the world is impacted by this particular epidemic? 2. What is the death toll? 3. How did this epidemic affect the outcome and/or progress of World War I? 4. What were the symptoms and treatments of the disease?
2. Discuss how the flu epidemic impacts the lives of those in the area where Hattie lives.
3. Research and learn about your own family's past and find out (if possible) is your ancestors were impacted by the disease and write about what you learn.
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)