Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Leafie do when she observes who is with the cow?
2. What does Mr. Saboe announce at dinner?
3. What do Perilee and the children do with Hattie on Sunday?
4. Where does Traft offer to take Hattie?
5. Why does Hattie go over to talk to Perilee?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interaction between Traft and Hattie on April 2.
2. What are Hattie and Perilee working on as Perilee waits to deliver her baby, and what does Perilee promise?
3. What news does Jim bring and what is Hattie's reaction?
4. What neighbor does Hattie meet in the local grocery store and what does he tell her?
5. Where does Hattie go on Sunday where she has not yet been, and how is she initially greeted?
6. How does Leafie stop some men from running the Mueller's cow to death?
7. What happens when Hattie is sixteen that jeopardizes her finishing school?
8. How does Hattie help Mr. Ebgard?
9. What does Charlie write to Hattie in a somber letter?
10. What do they have to do with the new baby since she is premature?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Hattie Big Sky".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of the story. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of the novel. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Kirby Larson.
2. What in Kirby Larson's background may have helped her in writing "Hattie Big Sky"? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of "Hattie Big Sky" and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of "Hattie Big Sky" and why?
3. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)