|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what does Hattie marvel?
2. What does Taft say might be a problem in the community?
3. What is the new visitor's attitude towards Hattie?
4. What does Rooster Jim suggest to Hattie?
5. Where does Traft offer to take Hattie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new debt does Hattie learn of when she visits Nefzger's store?
2. What happens when Hattie voices her concern about a pledge of one hundred dollars?
3. What surprises Hattie while she is in her cabin in the middle of a violent storm?
4. What happens when Hattie goes to visit Perilee?
5. What does Mr. Saboe announce?
6. How does Hattie distribute her goods?
7. Where does Hattie go on Sunday where she has not yet been, and how is she initially greeted?
8. What happens to Hattie that Traft helps her?
9. How does Violet lose part of her tail?
10. Who comes to help Hattie with the threshing and how does Chase contribute?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Hattie Big Sky".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of the story. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of the novel. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in "Hattie Big Sky"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "Hattie Big Sky" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "Hattie Big Sky" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
The Spanish Influenza of 1918, makes it way through much of the world and greatly impacts the lives of those who live during that time. Discuss the following:
1. Research the Spanish Influenza epidemic of 1918, and write an informative essay on what you learn. Include answers to the following questions: 1. How much of the world is impacted by this particular epidemic? 2. What is the death toll? 3. How did this epidemic affect the outcome and/or progress of World War I? 4. What were the symptoms and treatments of the disease?
2. Discuss how the flu epidemic impacts the lives of those in the area where Hattie lives.
3. Research and learn about your own family's past and find out (if possible) is your ancestors were impacted by the disease and write about what you learn.
This section contains 2,981 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)