|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of Hattie's daily challenges?
2. Where does Hattie wait for a ride to her new home in Montana?
3. Who picks up Hattie for the dance?
4. What does Perilee say she is too busy to do?
5. How far is Hattie's homestead from Vida?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the situation that changes the friendly reception at the church for Hattie.
2. What is Hattie's newest challenge in homesteading, and how has Uncle Chester helped?
3. How does Violet lose part of her tail?
4. Where does Hattie go on Sunday where she has not yet been, and how is she initially greeted?
5. What does Hattie write to Uncle Holt and Charlie and who mails them for her?
6. What happens when Perilee and the children go with Hattie to church?
7. What happens the next day after the dance to the Mueller's barn?
8. Why do Chase and Mattie not stop in for their customary biscuits at Hattie's one day, and what does Hattie do?
9. What does the letter from Hattie's uncle Chester say?
10. What are Hattie's two animals like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by teen historical fiction--questions that Larson may wish readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Larson's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Larson's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Larson and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "Hattie Big Sky", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement.) Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in "Hattie Big Sky". (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot.) Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of "Hattie Big Sky" and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of "Hattie Big Sky" and why?
3. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)