|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hattie go after cleaning herself up and taking special care with her grooming?
2. Who brought extra knitting needles for Hattie to use?
3. What does Hattie give Perilee in thanks?
4. When does Hattie's uncle Holt take her into his home?
5. Why is Hattie embarrassed when Traft comes in her house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who has been Hattie's main supporters when she comes to live with Uncle Holt and Aunt Ivy?
2. What does Karl say Hattie needs to do about plowing, and how does Hattie feel about plowing?
3. What does Hattie write to Uncle Holt and Charlie and who mails them for her?
4. What neighbor does Hattie meet in the local grocery store and what does he tell her?
5. What happens when Hattie is sixteen that jeopardizes her finishing school?
6. Describe Hattie's initial plowing efforts.
7. What does the letter from Hattie's uncle Chester say?
8. With what does Perilee leave Hattie as they drop her off at her new home, and what does Hattie give her in return?
9. Explain the situation that changes the friendly reception at the church for Hattie.
10. Where does Hattie go on Sunday where she has not yet been, and how is she initially greeted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of "Hattie Big Sky" and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of "Hattie Big Sky" and why?
3. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Hattie Big Sky".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of the story. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of the novel. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "Hattie Big Sky" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1, and judge if "Hattie Big Sky" is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Hattie Big Sky" a successful novel? What about teens?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)