|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children do Perilee and Karl bring when they pick up Hattie?
2. At what does Hattie marvel?
3. Why does Hattie ask Traft to dance?
4. What does Hattie discuss with Mr. Ebgard?
5. What has Hattie's uncle Holt been doing with her letters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Traft have to say as he stops by and waters his horse?
2. What does Mr. Saboe announce?
3. How does Hattie make use of her petticoat that her aunt Ivy always insisted upon her wearing?
4. What surprises Hattie while she is in her cabin in the middle of a violent storm?
5. What happens to Hattie that Traft helps her?
6. What does the letter from Hattie's uncle Chester say?
7. What does Hattie's next installment describe?
8. What do they have to do with the new baby since she is premature?
9. Why do Chase and Mattie not stop in for their customary biscuits at Hattie's one day, and what does Hattie do?
10. Who has been Hattie's main supporters when she comes to live with Uncle Holt and Aunt Ivy?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Hattie Big Sky".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of the story. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of the novel. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Hattie Big Sky" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
In most fiction, readers would like all the loose ends to be neatly "tied up." Discuss the following:
1. Do you think "Hattie Big Sky" is successful as a teen historical fiction? Why or why not.
2. What about this book would motivate you to read another of Kirby Larson's western novels? What would discourage you from doing so?
3. Were all the "loose ends" satisfactorily settled for you? Why or why not?
This section contains 3,056 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)