Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Leafie do when she observes who is with the cow?
2. What does Mr. Saboe announce at dinner?
3. What do Perilee and the children do with Hattie on Sunday?
4. Where does Traft offer to take Hattie?
5. Why does Hattie go over to talk to Perilee?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interaction between Traft and Hattie on April 2.
2. What are Hattie and Perilee working on as Perilee waits to deliver her baby, and what does Perilee promise?
3. What news does Jim bring and what is Hattie's reaction?
4. What neighbor does Hattie meet in the local grocery store and what does he tell her?
5. Where does Hattie go on Sunday where she has not yet been, and how is she initially greeted?
6. How does Leafie stop some men from running the Mueller's cow to death?
7. What happens when Hattie is sixteen that jeopardizes her finishing school?
8. How does Hattie help Mr. Ebgard?
9. What does Charlie write to Hattie in a somber letter?
10. What do they have to do with the new baby since she is premature?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "Hattie Big Sky", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement.) Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in "Hattie Big Sky". (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot.) Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Hattie Big Sky".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of the story. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of the novel. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Hattie Big Sky" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)