|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hattie realize about Traft that softens her attitude towards him momentarily?
(a) That he does care about Hattie.
(b) That he is not very bright.
(c) That he is probably going to die young.
(d) That his mother rules over him.
2. Why does Karl come over to Hattie's home late one night?
(a) To ask her to move in with Perilee when he is drafted.
(b) To fix her hen house when coyotes break into it.
(c) Looking for Leafie.
(d) To tell Hattie the baby is coming.
3. Why does Rooster Jim land in a hay bale?
(a) He cannot control his bike.
(b) The horse throws him into it.
(c) The cow pushes him into it.
(d) He trips on a boulder.
4. Who does not attend the Independence Day picnic?
(a) Rooster Jim.
(b) The Tweeds.
(c) The Martins.
(d) The Fens.
5. Why do Hattie and Jim discover while playing chess?
(a) They are in love.
(b) They would like to play some other games, too.
(c) The latest way in which the war will cost them.
(d) Neither of them actually enjoy chess that much.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings news of the Spanish influenza to Hattie in October?
2. Who does Leafie and Hattie call upon one day?
3. What happens that makes Hattie terrified?
4. What does Traft ask Hattie?
5. What does Hattie's next installment to the newspaper describe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hattie learn about birthing babies the hard way?
2. How does Hattie have to go into more debt because of the savings stamp drive?
3. What new debt does Hattie learn of when she visits Nefzger's store?
4. Who comes to help Hattie with the threshing and how does Chase contribute?
5. Why does Karl come to Hattie's late one night, and what does Hattie do?
6. What happens after Hattie and the others who are threshing see big, black clouds rolling in?
7. How does Hattie help Mr. Ebgard?
8. What happens to Elmer Ren while Hattie and Leafie are visiting?
9. What does Hattie's next installment describe?
10. How does Rooster Jim end up on top of a hay bale?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)