|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Hattie's crop mostly cattle feed?
(a) Hailstones ruin it.
(b) It is the maize type of corn.
(c) Because of the type of seed she was able to afford.
(d) There is a big call for cattle feed.
2. What does Traft say the person he is harassing must do to demonstrate loyalty to the United States?
(a) Carry the flag up and down the street ten times a day.
(b) Salute Traft.
(c) Stand attention for one hour in front of the flag.
(d) Crawl to the flag.
3. Who dies in Hattie's arms?
4. How does Mr. Ebgard get around the age requirements for a claim?
(a) He treats the claim like an inheritance.
(b) He is unable to get around the age requirement problem.
(c) He rules that head of household status overrides age requirements.
(d) He writes for a Congressional dispensation.
5. With what is Hattie threatened when she voices her concern about a pledge?
(a) Her bank account being seized.
(b) A trip in front of the judge to review her patriotism.
(c) Her homestead approval being turned down.
(d) Her name being published in the local newspaper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hattie insist is hers to do when she is talking with Trask?
2. What does Hattie suggest forgiveness is an important part of?
3. Why does Hattie go through Chester's trunk again?
4. Who does not attend the Independence Day picnic?
5. Who visits Hattie the morning after she learns of the flu epidemic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Hattie voices her concern about a pledge of one hundred dollars?
2. What happens after Hattie and the others who are threshing see big, black clouds rolling in?
3. Who comes to help Hattie with the threshing and how does Chase contribute?
4. How does Hattie have to go into more debt because of the savings stamp drive?
5. What has Perilee asked of Karl concerning the harassment of them because Karl is German?
6. How does Rooster Jim end up on top of a hay bale?
7. What happens when Hattie goes to visit Perilee?
8. What begins on September 12th, and who will it encompass?
9. What does Hattie think about after witnessing events at the Ren homestead?
10. How does Elmer Junior intervene for his father and what is the result?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)