|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens before Karl returns?
(a) The quilt gets finished.
(b) The baby is born.
(c) Chase dies.
(d) Perilee passes out.
2. What store does Hattie stop at in town?
3. What does Traft say about why he is not serving in the military?
(a) His mother got him an appointment with the Council of Defense.
(b) He is the sole surviving son.
(c) He has a weak heart.
(d) He has a fake eye.
4. Who does Hattie encounter after talking to Mr. Nefzger?
5. What are shocks?
(a) An oblong hay bale.
(b) Bundles of wheat.
(c) Bundles of flax.
(d) An unrolled hay bale.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hattie used to think men should do?
2. Why must Karl stay home?
3. For what does Hattie pray?
4. What does Hattie get to do during the game the picnic participants play?
5. What begins on September 12, 1918?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Hattie and the others who are threshing see big, black clouds rolling in?
2. What does Charlie write to Hattie in a somber letter?
3. How does Hattie have to go into more debt because of the savings stamp drive?
4. What epidemic strikes the area where Hattie lives and what does Leafie do?
5. How does Traft explain the fact that he has not yet been drafted into the military?
6. What happens when Hattie voices her concern about a pledge of one hundred dollars?
7. What has Hattie been doing at night to fight the heat?
8. What does Hattie's next installment describe?
9. What do Rooster Jim and Hattie say about how the war is costing them?
10. What happens to Hattie that Traft helps her?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)