|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What request of Perilee's does Karl refuse?
(a) To stop attending Lutheran services.
(b) To hire a worker.
(c) To meet with the Council of Defense members and try to show how good a man he is.
(d) Move back to Baltimore.
2. Where was Charlie's friend standing when the man was killed?
(a) Several hundred yards.
(b) Within a couple feet.
(c) Charlie does not say.
(d) About twenty yards away.
3. What does Hattie think about in relation to Elmer's situation?
(a) How she has protested the war from the beginning.
(b) How she would not want her husband to register.
(c) How she would be willing to be drafted were she a man.
(d) A sanctimonious letter Hattie once wrote.
4. What does a letter from Charlie reveal?
(a) The death of a comrade.
(b) That he is in the hospital as a result of a war wound.
(c) That he is on his way to Montana.
(d) That his unit is returning to New York in a week.
5. What does Traft say the person he is harassing must do to demonstrate loyalty to the United States?
(a) Salute Traft.
(b) Stand attention for one hour in front of the flag.
(c) Carry the flag up and down the street ten times a day.
(d) Crawl to the flag.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to help Hattie thresh?
2. Where does Leafie invite Hattie?
3. Why do Hattie and Jim discover while playing chess?
4. Who dies in Hattie's arms?
5. What sound breaks into Hattie's thoughts as she is walking home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Karl come to Hattie's late one night, and what does Hattie do?
2. How does Elmer Junior intervene for his father and what is the result?
3. How does Hattie acquire chickens and what does she have to do to keep them safe?
4. What happens after Hattie and the others who are threshing see big, black clouds rolling in?
5. What do Rooster Jim and Hattie say about how the war is costing them?
6. What does Traft have to say as he stops by and waters his horse?
7. What happens when Hattie goes to visit Perilee?
8. What epidemic strikes the area where Hattie lives and what does Leafie do?
9. What new debt does Hattie learn of when she visits Nefzger's store?
10. What begins on September 12th, and who will it encompass?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)