|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gives Hattie warning that someone is approaching?
(a) Her dog barks.
(b) The chickens start squawking.
(c) Plug neighs.
(d) Dust on the coulee.
2. What does Hattie do at the Mueller's while waiting for Leafie?
(a) Builds a fire in the stove.
(b) Reads up on childbirthing from the home nursing manual.
(c) Makes up a bed for the forthcoming infant.
(d) Read the Bible to Perilee for distraction.
3. What does Hattie realize when she has been back home for a couple days?
(a) She is not going to be able to work for several days.
(b) She misses being with the Muellers.
(c) She is upset about Rooster Jim marrying.
(d) She is ill.
4. What does Traft ask Hattie concerning Charlie?
(b) If he is her brother.
(c) If she is just writing him to support the troops.
(d) If she is waiting for him.
5. Why does Traft help Hattie into the house?
(a) He is a gentleman.
(b) She trips and sprains her ankle.
(c) She faints from the heat.
(d) She trips and sprains her arm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rooster Jim land in a hay bale?
2. What does Rooster Jim think Hattie needs?
3. What happens that makes Hattie terrified?
4. What happens before Karl returns?
5. Who is the "doctor" in the area?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Hattie been doing at night to fight the heat?
2. How does Hattie help Mr. Ebgard?
3. What has Perilee asked of Karl concerning the harassment of them because Karl is German?
4. What does Charlie write to Hattie in a somber letter?
5. How does Traft explain the fact that he has not yet been drafted into the military?
6. What does Hattie's next installment describe?
7. What happens after Hattie and the others who are threshing see big, black clouds rolling in?
8. How does Hattie have to go into more debt because of the savings stamp drive?
9. What happens to Hattie that Traft helps her?
10. How does Elmer Junior intervene for his father and what is the result?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)