|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hattie realize about Traft that softens her attitude towards him momentarily?
(a) That he does care about Hattie.
(b) That he is not very bright.
(c) That his mother rules over him.
(d) That he is probably going to die young.
2. Of what are the papers full?
(a) Reports of the wounded and killed.
(b) Reports of the great victories Americans were having.
(c) Reports of people accused of sedition.
(d) Reports of the huge losses the Americans were suffering in the war.
3. What does Rooster Jim come to tell Hattie?
(a) That Traft has filed a contest to Hattie's claim.
(b) That Mr. Ebgard wants to meet with Hattie.
(c) That Traft has been drafted.
(d) That Karl has been shot.
4. Where is Elmer Ren?
(a) He is still in jail for draft dodging.
(b) He has enlisted.
(c) He is dead.
(d) He went to Canada.
5. What does Traft ask Hattie?
(a) To marry him.
(b) To forgive him for his belonging to the Defense League.
(c) To make a deal with him about her ranch.
(d) To go with him to another dance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives Hattie warning that someone is approaching?
2. What is Richey going to pick up for Karl?
3. What begins on September 12, 1918?
4. What store does Hattie stop at in town?
5. What does Traft want to tell Hattie when she finds him waiting for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Elmer Junior intervene for his father and what is the result?
2. What do Rooster Jim and Hattie say about how the war is costing them?
3. What has Perilee asked of Karl concerning the harassment of them because Karl is German?
4. How does Rooster Jim end up on top of a hay bale?
5. Why does Traft say about the fire in Hattie's barn when he comes by to see her after the July 4th picnic?
6. What happens after Hattie and the others who are threshing see big, black clouds rolling in?
7. Why does Karl come to Hattie's late one night, and what does Hattie do?
8. What troubling news does Rooster Jim bring to Hattie, and what is the outcome?
9. How does Hattie have to go into more debt because of the savings stamp drive?
10. How does Traft explain the fact that he has not yet been drafted into the military?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)