|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a letter from Charlie reveal?
(a) That he is on his way to Montana.
(b) That his unit is returning to New York in a week.
(c) The death of a comrade.
(d) That he is in the hospital as a result of a war wound.
2. What has to be done for Charlotte?
(a) Let her handle the birth to learn how to do it.
(b) Teach her about being a settler's wife.
(c) Welcome her.
(d) Keep her warm.
3. Who is Traft and others harassing?
(a) Perilee Mueller.
(b) Chase Mueller.
(c) Karl Mueller.
(d) Mr. Ebgard.
4. Who does not attend the Independence Day picnic?
(a) The Fens.
(b) The Martins.
(c) Rooster Jim.
(d) The Tweeds.
5. Where was Charlie's friend standing when the man was killed?
(a) Charlie does not say.
(b) About twenty yards away.
(c) Several hundred yards.
(d) Within a couple feet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What request of Perilee's does Karl refuse?
2. What does Traft say the person he is harassing must do to demonstrate loyalty to the United States?
3. Why does Hattie go through Chester's trunk again?
4. How does Chase help in the threshing?
5. Who is the "doctor" in the area?
Short Essay Questions
1. What begins on September 12th, and who will it encompass?
2. What has Hattie been doing at night to fight the heat?
3. What happens when Hattie voices her concern about a pledge of one hundred dollars?
4. What happens when Hattie goes to visit Perilee?
5. What new debt does Hattie learn of when she visits Nefzger's store?
6. Why does Traft say about the fire in Hattie's barn when he comes by to see her after the July 4th picnic?
7. What epidemic strikes the area where Hattie lives and what does Leafie do?
8. What happens to Elmer Ren while Hattie and Leafie are visiting?
9. How does Hattie acquire chickens and what does she have to do to keep them safe?
10. What has Perilee asked of Karl concerning the harassment of them because Karl is German?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)