|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hattie go through Chester's trunk again?
(a) To see if Chester ever had something like this happen to him.
(b) Hoping to find a picture.
(c) To feel connected to Chester.
(d) Hoping to find some money.
2. Why do Hattie and Jim discover while playing chess?
(a) They are in love.
(b) They would like to play some other games, too.
(c) The latest way in which the war will cost them.
(d) Neither of them actually enjoy chess that much.
3. What news do Hattie and Leafie bring back to the Ren family?
(a) That Elmer's trial is set for the next month.
(b) That Elmer will be released on bail within a week.
(c) That Elmer will be home within an hour or two.
(d) That Elmer will be released on bail the next day.
4. What does Hattie manage to do despite her fears?
(a) Tie off and cut the cord and clean up Charlotta.
(b) Deliver twins.
(c) Keep Mattie from getting hysterical.
(d) Milk the cow for milk for the new baby.
5. What store does Hattie stop at in town?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Hattie's crop mostly cattle feed?
2. What does Rooster Jim have when he comes towards Hattie?
3. What does Hattie insist is hers to do when she is talking with Trask?
4. Why has Hattie been taking her mattress outside at night at home?
5. What does Hattie get to do during the game the picnic participants play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new debt does Hattie learn of when she visits Nefzger's store?
2. What happens after Hattie and the others who are threshing see big, black clouds rolling in?
3. What do Rooster Jim and Hattie say about how the war is costing them?
4. What happens when Hattie goes to visit Perilee?
5. What troubling news does Rooster Jim bring to Hattie, and what is the outcome?
6. How does Rooster Jim end up on top of a hay bale?
7. How does Traft explain the fact that he has not yet been drafted into the military?
8. How does Elmer Junior intervene for his father and what is the result?
9. What does Charlie write to Hattie in a somber letter?
10. What happens to Hattie that Traft helps her?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)