|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Traft say about why he is not serving in the military?
(a) He is the sole surviving son.
(b) He has a weak heart.
(c) He has a fake eye.
(d) His mother got him an appointment with the Council of Defense.
2. What makes preparing a meal difficult for Hattie?
(a) The heat.
(b) Her best frying pan has warped badly in the heat.
(c) The lack of cooking oil.
(d) The lack of firewood.
3. Why do Hattie and Jim discover while playing chess?
(a) They are in love.
(b) They would like to play some other games, too.
(c) Neither of them actually enjoy chess that much.
(d) The latest way in which the war will cost them.
4. Why does Rooster Jim land in a hay bale?
(a) He cannot control his bike.
(b) The horse throws him into it.
(c) The cow pushes him into it.
(d) He trips on a boulder.
5. Who does Leafie say she'll talk to on Elmer's behalf?
(a) Sheriff Jones.
(b) Reverend Tweed.
(c) Reverend Shatz.
(d) Deputy Patton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Traft and others harassing?
2. What does Hattie do at the Mueller's while waiting for Leafie?
3. Why does Hattie go through Chester's trunk again?
4. What does Rooster Jim use as a trellis for his string beans?
5. What does Mr. Hanson offer Hattie and Leafie?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)