|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hattie's next installment to the newspaper describe?
(a) Getting a sow and young pigs.
(b) Threshing flax.
(c) The first brood of chickens.
(d) The Independence Day Parade.
2. Why does Hattie go through Chester's trunk again?
(a) Hoping to find a picture.
(b) Hoping to find some money.
(c) To see if Chester ever had something like this happen to him.
(d) To feel connected to Chester.
3. What does Hattie see with Leafie?
(a) A homeless goat.
(b) The new style of bicycles.
(c) The newest in automobiles.
(d) A military tank.
4. What are Hattie and Perilee working on together?
(a) The baby's quilt.
(b) A needlepoint tapestry.
(c) A present for Karl.
(d) New clothes for the children.
5. What has to be done for Charlotte?
(a) Teach her about being a settler's wife.
(b) Let her handle the birth to learn how to do it.
(c) Keep her warm.
(d) Welcome her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Traft make a point of mentioning to Hattie as he waters his horse?
2. What day has been declared National War Savings Day?
3. Who visits Hattie the morning after she learns of the flu epidemic?
4. What does Hattie realize about Traft that softens her attitude towards him momentarily?
5. How does Chase help in the threshing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Traft say about the fire in Hattie's barn when he comes by to see her after the July 4th picnic?
2. What has Hattie been doing at night to fight the heat?
3. How does Rooster Jim end up on top of a hay bale?
4. What happens when Hattie voices her concern about a pledge of one hundred dollars?
5. How does Traft explain the fact that he has not yet been drafted into the military?
6. How does Hattie learn about birthing babies the hard way?
7. What do they have to do with the new baby since she is premature?
8. Why does Karl come to Hattie's late one night, and what does Hattie do?
9. Who comes to help Hattie with the threshing and how does Chase contribute?
10. What new debt does Hattie learn of when she visits Nefzger's store?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)