|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what are the papers full?
(a) Reports of people accused of sedition.
(b) Reports of the wounded and killed.
(c) Reports of the huge losses the Americans were suffering in the war.
(d) Reports of the great victories Americans were having.
2. Who does Leafie and Hattie call upon one day?
(a) The Ren family.
(b) Traft Martin.
(c) Reverend Tweed.
(d) The Mueller family.
3. What does Traft ask Hattie concerning Charlie?
(b) If he is her brother.
(c) If she is just writing him to support the troops.
(d) If she is waiting for him.
4. Why is Hattie's crop mostly cattle feed?
(a) It is the maize type of corn.
(b) Because of the type of seed she was able to afford.
(c) There is a big call for cattle feed.
(d) Hailstones ruin it.
5. What request of Perilee's does Karl refuse?
(a) To stop attending Lutheran services.
(b) To meet with the Council of Defense members and try to show how good a man he is.
(c) Move back to Baltimore.
(d) To hire a worker.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why must Karl stay home?
2. What has to be done for Charlotte?
3. What game is played on Independence Day?
4. What does Hattie manage to do despite her fears?
5. What does President Wilson want on September 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Traft have to say as he stops by and waters his horse?
2. What happens to Hattie that Traft helps her?
3. Who comes to help Hattie with the threshing and how does Chase contribute?
4. What troubling news does Rooster Jim bring to Hattie, and what is the outcome?
5. Why does Traft say about the fire in Hattie's barn when he comes by to see her after the July 4th picnic?
6. How does Hattie learn about birthing babies the hard way?
7. How does Hattie have to go into more debt because of the savings stamp drive?
8. What happens when Hattie voices her concern about a pledge of one hundred dollars?
9. What happens when Hattie goes to visit Perilee?
10. How does Traft explain the fact that he has not yet been drafted into the military?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)