|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hattie manage to do despite her fears?
(a) Deliver twins.
(b) Keep Mattie from getting hysterical.
(c) Milk the cow for milk for the new baby.
(d) Tie off and cut the cord and clean up Charlotta.
2. Who does not attend the Independence Day picnic?
(a) Rooster Jim.
(b) The Martins.
(c) The Tweeds.
(d) The Fens.
3. What is the situation like when Hattie goes over to the Mueller house?
(a) Mattie is being difficult.
(b) Chase is very ill.
(c) Perilee is very close to delivering.
(d) Perilee is working on the quilt feverishly.
4. What does Hattie's next installment to the newspaper describe?
(a) Getting a sow and young pigs.
(b) The first brood of chickens.
(c) Threshing flax.
(d) The Independence Day Parade.
5. Why is Elmer Ren arrested?
(a) For stealing a cow.
(b) For stealing a chicken.
(c) For setting fire to Karl's barn.
(d) For failure to register for the draft.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives Hattie warning that someone is approaching?
2. What makes preparing a meal difficult for Hattie?
3. What is Hattie told is the minimal allowable pledge?
4. Who is the "doctor" in the area?
5. What does Hattie think about in relation to Elmer's situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Elmer Ren while Hattie and Leafie are visiting?
2. What new debt does Hattie learn of when she visits Nefzger's store?
3. What happens when Hattie voices her concern about a pledge of one hundred dollars?
4. How does Rooster Jim end up on top of a hay bale?
5. How does Hattie acquire chickens and what does she have to do to keep them safe?
6. What has Perilee asked of Karl concerning the harassment of them because Karl is German?
7. What do they have to do with the new baby since she is premature?
8. How does Hattie help Mr. Ebgard?
9. How does Traft explain the fact that he has not yet been drafted into the military?
10. What begins on September 12th, and who will it encompass?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)