|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is running errands for Karl?
2. Who dies in Hattie's arms?
3. Who does not attend the Independence Day picnic?
(a) The Tweeds.
(b) Rooster Jim.
(c) The Fens.
(d) The Martins.
4. What is the situation like when Hattie goes over to the Mueller house?
(a) Mattie is being difficult.
(b) Perilee is very close to delivering.
(c) Chase is very ill.
(d) Perilee is working on the quilt feverishly.
5. What day has been declared National War Savings Day?
(a) June 28th.
(b) August 12.
(c) November 11.
(d) January 1.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hattie do at the Mueller's while waiting for Leafie?
2. How does Chase help in the threshing?
3. How does Hattie help the person being harassed?
4. What does Hattie's next installment to the newspaper describe?
5. Why does Hattie spend a great deal of time with Perilee these days?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Hattie goes to visit Perilee?
2. What has Perilee asked of Karl concerning the harassment of them because Karl is German?
3. What do they have to do with the new baby since she is premature?
4. How does Rooster Jim end up on top of a hay bale?
5. What happens after Hattie and the others who are threshing see big, black clouds rolling in?
6. Who comes to help Hattie with the threshing and how does Chase contribute?
7. What does Charlie write to Hattie in a somber letter?
8. What new debt does Hattie learn of when she visits Nefzger's store?
9. What begins on September 12th, and who will it encompass?
10. How does Traft explain the fact that he has not yet been drafted into the military?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)