|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is running errands for Karl?
2. What does a letter from Charlie reveal?
(a) That he is on his way to Montana.
(b) That his unit is returning to New York in a week.
(c) That he is in the hospital as a result of a war wound.
(d) The death of a comrade.
3. What does Traft make a point of mentioning to Hattie as he waters his horse?
(a) His draft deferment has been vacated.
(b) That he apologized to Mr. Ebgard.
(c) His mother's plans for this area of Montana.
(d) The poor harvests all around.
4. What does Hattie think about in relation to Elmer's situation?
(a) How she would be willing to be drafted were she a man.
(b) How she has protested the war from the beginning.
(c) A sanctimonious letter Hattie once wrote.
(d) How she would not want her husband to register.
5. What does Hattie see with Leafie?
(a) A homeless goat.
(b) The new style of bicycles.
(c) A military tank.
(d) The newest in automobiles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Traft ask Hattie?
2. What has to be done for Charlotte?
3. Who comes to help Hattie thresh?
4. What does Hattie insist is hers to do when she is talking with Trask?
5. What begins on September 12, 1918?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Elmer Junior intervene for his father and what is the result?
2. What happens when Hattie goes to visit Perilee?
3. Why does Traft say about the fire in Hattie's barn when he comes by to see her after the July 4th picnic?
4. What new debt does Hattie learn of when she visits Nefzger's store?
5. What happens when Hattie voices her concern about a pledge of one hundred dollars?
6. What has Perilee asked of Karl concerning the harassment of them because Karl is German?
7. What happens to Hattie that Traft helps her?
8. How does Hattie help Mr. Ebgard?
9. How does Traft explain the fact that he has not yet been drafted into the military?
10. What happens after Hattie and the others who are threshing see big, black clouds rolling in?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)