|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what does Mrs. Martin threaten Hattie?
(c) The Council of Defense.
(d) No more invitations to the knitting circle.
2. What has Hattie's uncle Holt been doing with her letters?
(a) Passing them on to the local newspaper.
(b) Sending them on to Hattie's grandmother in Europe.
(c) Giving them to Charlie to read.
(d) Sending them on to Hattie's great-aunt in Maine.
3. Why is Hattie embarrassed when Traft comes in her house?
(a) She has no coffee to offer.
(b) She is in men's slacks.
(c) She has no biscuits to offer.
(d) She has her underthings laid out to dry.
4. What does Traft Martin ask Hattie?
(a) To keep his younger brother for a while.
(b) To go with him to a dance.
(c) To marry him.
(d) To keep his younger sister for a while.
5. What amuses Rooster Jim as he rides by as Hattie is plowing?
(a) The hat she has put on plug.
(b) The way she has harnessed Violet.
(c) Her plowing methods.
(d) Her plowing outfit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hattie go over to talk to Perilee?
2. What does the note on Hattie's table say when she returns home?
3. What does Perilee accept from Hattie?
4. What does Mr. Saboe announce at dinner?
5. What does Hattie find when she rides over to the Mueller homestead?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hattie find a small source of income for herself?
2. How does Violet lose part of her tail?
3. Describe the interaction between Traft and Hattie on April 2.
4. What happens when Hattie is sixteen that jeopardizes her finishing school?
5. Who helps Hattie in the field the next day and how does he respond to her thanks?
6. What surprises Hattie while she is in her cabin in the middle of a violent storm?
7. What is Hattie's newest challenge in homesteading, and how has Uncle Chester helped?
8. Describe Hattie's initial plowing efforts.
9. With what does Perilee leave Hattie as they drop her off at her new home, and what does Hattie give her in return?
10. What does Karl say Hattie needs to do about plowing, and how does Hattie feel about plowing?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)