|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Chase and Mattie run past Hattie's house without stopping one day?
(a) They are being chased by other boys.
(b) They are in a hurry because Perilee is giving birth.
(c) They have to get ten rods of fencing in that day.
(d) They have good news for their parents.
2. Who comes from the barn as Hattie returns from the fields?
(c) Leafie Purvis.
(d) Rooster Jim.
3. How does Traft Martin help Hattie?
(a) Stapling wire to fence posts.
(b) Drawing water for the garden.
(c) Picking rocks out of the field.
(d) Running the plow.
4. Who is Plug?
(a) A dog who lives next door to Hattie.
(b) The horse on Hattie's uncle's ranch in Montana.
(c) A young boy who Hattie babysits occasionally.
(d) The tom cat that always fights with Mr. Whiskers.
5. What does Rooster Jim suggest to Hattie?
(a) That she get herself a wide-brimmed hat.
(b) That Plug might appreciate an umbrella, too.
(c) That she plow in straight lines.
(d) That Violet will stop giving milk if she is made to work plowing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the note on Hattie's table say when she returns home?
2. How old does Hattie feel she'll be before she is finished plowing?
3. What amuses Rooster Jim as he rides by as Hattie is plowing?
4. Who does Hattie write to tell of her move to Montana?
5. At what does Hattie marvel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hattie's initial plowing efforts.
2. Why do Chase and Mattie not stop in for their customary biscuits at Hattie's one day, and what does Hattie do?
3. What does Hattie write to Uncle Holt and Charlie and who mails them for her?
4. With what does Perilee leave Hattie as they drop her off at her new home, and what does Hattie give her in return?
5. How does Leafie stop some men from running the Mueller's cow to death?
6. What happens the next day after the dance to the Mueller's barn?
7. Who helps Hattie in the field the next day and how does he respond to her thanks?
8. How does Violet lose part of her tail?
9. What does Karl say Hattie needs to do about plowing, and how does Hattie feel about plowing?
10. What does Mr. Saboe announce?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)