|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hattie's uncle Holt's actual relationship to Hattie?
(a) A distant cousin.
(b) A first cousin.
(c) A close friend of Hattie's father.
(d) A close friend of Hattie's grandmother.
2. What does the note on Hattie's table say when she returns home?
(a) It says she had best move back East where she belongs.
(b) It is a note from Perilee asking for Hattie's help.
(c) It suggests she join the Montana Loyalty League.
(d) It is an invitation to a dance.
3. What does Taft say might be a problem in the community?
(a) Hattie's friendship with the Muellers.
(b) Hattie not attending church.
(c) Hattie not attending the Loyalty League meetings.
(d) Hattie hiring a recent immigrant from Germany.
4. Why is Hattie still unable to plant?
(a) The soil is too wet.
(b) She is sick.
(c) She cannot afford the seed.
(d) She has not cleared the fields enough.
5. What does Hattie realize Mattie has forgotten?
(a) Her kitten figurine.
(b) Her comb.
(c) Her doll.
(d) Her jacks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hattie do when she notices the situation with the Mueller children?
2. Where does Hattie go after cleaning herself up and taking special care with her grooming?
3. About what does Leafie warn Hattie?
4. Where does Traft offer to take Hattie?
5. What does Mr. Saboe announce at dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Violet lose part of her tail?
2. What does Karl say Hattie needs to do about plowing, and how does Hattie feel about plowing?
3. Why do Chase and Mattie not stop in for their customary biscuits at Hattie's one day, and what does Hattie do?
4. Explain the situation that changes the friendly reception at the church for Hattie.
5. What surprises Hattie while she is in her cabin in the middle of a violent storm?
6. Describe the interaction between Traft and Hattie on April 2.
7. What does the letter from Hattie's uncle Chester say?
8. What are Hattie's two animals like?
9. What neighbor does Hattie meet in the local grocery store and what does he tell her?
10. Who has been Hattie's main supporters when she comes to live with Uncle Holt and Aunt Ivy?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)