|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children do Perilee and Karl bring when they pick up Hattie?
2. What is one of Hattie's daily challenges?
(a) To set a couple fence posts.
(b) To not feel lonely.
(c) To finish the inside of her house.
(d) To milk the cow without injury or loss of milk.
3. Where does Hattie go after cleaning herself up and taking special care with her grooming?
(b) A dance.
(c) To Vida to apply for a loan.
(d) To visit a dead neighbor's wife.
4. What does Perilee leave with Hattie before they go on to their own place?
(a) Advice and dried meat.
(b) Advice and some dried vegetables.
(c) Advice, stew and strudel.
(d) A dog.
5. How far is Hattie's homestead from Vida?
(a) Thirteen miles.
(b) Three miles.
(c) Six miles.
(d) About one mile.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hattie suggest they do for the new Mueller baby on the way?
2. What does Perilee accept from Hattie?
3. Who picks up Hattie for the dance?
4. How does Traft Martin help Hattie?
5. What is the date at the opening of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Hattie's two animals like?
2. What does Mr. Saboe announce?
3. What surprises Hattie while she is in her cabin in the middle of a violent storm?
4. Who arrives to pick Mattie up in Wolf Point, and why do they spend the night there?
5. How does Hattie find a small source of income for herself?
6. How does Hattie make use of her petticoat that her aunt Ivy always insisted upon her wearing?
7. Describe the interaction between Traft and Hattie on April 2.
8. What does the letter from Hattie's uncle Chester say?
9. How does Hattie defuse Traft's aggression towards Mr. Saboe?
10. Who has been Hattie's main supporters when she comes to live with Uncle Holt and Aunt Ivy?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)