|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Plug?
(a) The tom cat that always fights with Mr. Whiskers.
(b) The horse on Hattie's uncle's ranch in Montana.
(c) A young boy who Hattie babysits occasionally.
(d) A dog who lives next door to Hattie.
2. Who meets Hattie at the door to the dance?
(d) Rooster Jim.
3. What does Hattie do when she notices the situation with the Mueller children?
(a) Kills the rattler.
(b) Takes off her petticoat, and waves it to stop the animals.
(c) Hoists the children up into a tree.
(d) Pushes the children into the creek.
4. Who brings Plug home?
(a) Two of Perilee's children.
(d) Rooster Jim.
5. What has Hattie's uncle Holt been doing with her letters?
(a) Sending them on to Hattie's grandmother in Europe.
(b) Passing them on to the local newspaper.
(c) Giving them to Charlie to read.
(d) Sending them on to Hattie's great-aunt in Maine.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hattie write about her life in the letters she writes?
2. How many rods have been planted in Hattie's absence?
3. Why does Leafie do when she observes who is with the cow?
4. Where does Hattie wait for a ride to her new home in Montana?
5. What does Perilee say she is too busy to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens the next day after the dance to the Mueller's barn?
2. With what does Perilee leave Hattie as they drop her off at her new home, and what does Hattie give her in return?
3. What are Hattie's two animals like?
4. Who arrives to pick Mattie up in Wolf Point, and why do they spend the night there?
5. Describe the interaction between Traft and Hattie on April 2.
6. What does Hattie write to Uncle Holt and Charlie and who mails them for her?
7. What does Karl say Hattie needs to do about plowing, and how does Hattie feel about plowing?
8. Why do Chase and Mattie not stop in for their customary biscuits at Hattie's one day, and what does Hattie do?
9. What happens when Hattie is sixteen that jeopardizes her finishing school?
10. What surprises Hattie while she is in her cabin in the middle of a violent storm?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)