|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who arrives the next morning at Hattie's house?
(a) Perilee's oldest son.
(d) Rooster Jim.
2. How many children do Perilee and Karl bring when they pick up Hattie?
3. Of what does Perilee remind Hattie at the grocery store?
(a) To buy feed for Plug and Violet.
(b) To buy some warm wool to knit a stocking cap and gloves.
(c) To run a tab with the grocer.
(d) To wait to buy perishables until right before they leave.
4. What does Mr. Saboe announce at dinner?
(a) The Muellers will no longer be welcome in Vida.
(b) Traft is leaving the area.
(c) It is time to buy liberty bonds.
(d) The homesteading act has been revised.
5. What does Hattie find when she arrives home?
(a) A note from her best friend back in Virginia.
(b) Another note from an unknown person.
(c) Her cow is ill.
(d) A hay bale is smoldering.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Perilee Johnson Mueller?
2. How old does Hattie feel she'll be before she is finished plowing?
3. What are the Mueller children sent out to gather?
4. How does Hattie describe Plug?
5. Why do Chase and Mattie run past Hattie's house without stopping one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Elmer Junior intervene for his father and what is the result?
2. What does Karl say Hattie needs to do about plowing, and how does Hattie feel about plowing?
3. How does Hattie make use of her petticoat that her aunt Ivy always insisted upon her wearing?
4. What does Traft have to say as he stops by and waters his horse?
5. Who has been Hattie's main supporters when she comes to live with Uncle Holt and Aunt Ivy?
6. What happens when Perilee and the children go with Hattie to church?
7. How does Leafie stop some men from running the Mueller's cow to death?
8. Who helps Hattie in the field the next day and how does he respond to her thanks?
9. How does Hattie learn about birthing babies the hard way?
10. Describe the interaction between Traft and Hattie on April 2.
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)