Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Leafie do when she observes who is with the cow?
(b) Fires her rifle in the air.
(c) Becomes obviously happy.
2. What does Mr. Saboe announce at dinner?
(a) It is time to buy liberty bonds.
(b) The homesteading act has been revised.
(c) Traft is leaving the area.
(d) The Muellers will no longer be welcome in Vida.
3. What do Perilee and the children do with Hattie on Sunday?
(a) Have a picnic.
(b) Go to church.
(c) Paint pictures.
(d) Gather mushrooms.
4. Where does Traft offer to take Hattie?
(a) To Vida.
(b) To church on Sunday.
(c) To the feed store.
(d) To his place to show her how to do some simple ranch chores.
5. Why does Hattie go over to talk to Perilee?
(a) Tell her she shot an elk and is willing to share.
(b) Ask her to let her oldest come stay with Hattie.
(c) Tell her about the bear.
(d) Ask her advice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the date at the opening of the novel?
2. Why is Hattie embarrassed when Traft comes in her house?
3. What does Hattie tie to the ring on the metal eye on the cabin?
4. What are the Mueller children sent out to gather?
5. What does Hattie insist for the person(s) who brings Plug home
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interaction between Traft and Hattie on April 2.
2. What are Hattie and Perilee working on as Perilee waits to deliver her baby, and what does Perilee promise?
3. What news does Jim bring and what is Hattie's reaction?
4. What neighbor does Hattie meet in the local grocery store and what does he tell her?
5. Where does Hattie go on Sunday where she has not yet been, and how is she initially greeted?
6. How does Leafie stop some men from running the Mueller's cow to death?
7. What happens when Hattie is sixteen that jeopardizes her finishing school?
8. How does Hattie help Mr. Ebgard?
9. What does Charlie write to Hattie in a somber letter?
10. What do they have to do with the new baby since she is premature?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)