|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives Hattie Mr. Whiskers?
(a) Uncle Holt.
(b) Mrs. Mueller.
(c) Charlie Hawley.
(d) Hattie found the cat herself.
2. What does Hattie discuss with Mr. Ebgard?
(a) Provisions she will need.
(b) Proving her claim.
(c) Her mother's visit before she died.
(d) Finding a hired hand.
3. What is Hattie's newest challenge?
(a) Finding a bull to breed with Violet.
(b) Keeping the coyotes away from the chickens.
(c) Fence building.
(d) Keeping the garden from being overrun with jack rabbits.
4. What does Traft Martin ask Hattie?
(a) To go with him to a dance.
(b) To keep his younger brother for a while.
(c) To keep his younger sister for a while.
(d) To marry him.
5. Where does Hattie wait for a ride to her new home in Montana?
(a) Wolf Point.
(c) At the side of the railroad tracks with nothing around.
(d) Point Lobos.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hattie do when she notices the situation with the Mueller children?
2. What is Hattie's problem at the water pump?
3. What happens to Violet's tail?
4. Who meets Hattie at the door to the dance?
5. Where does Traft offer to take Hattie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hattie's initial plowing efforts.
2. How does Hattie find a small source of income for herself?
3. Why do Chase and Mattie not stop in for their customary biscuits at Hattie's one day, and what does Hattie do?
4. Who has been Hattie's main supporters when she comes to live with Uncle Holt and Aunt Ivy?
5. Describe the interaction between Traft and Hattie on April 2.
6. Where does Hattie go on Sunday where she has not yet been, and how is she initially greeted?
7. With what does Perilee leave Hattie as they drop her off at her new home, and what does Hattie give her in return?
8. What neighbor does Hattie meet in the local grocery store and what does he tell her?
9. What happens when Perilee and the children go with Hattie to church?
10. What does the letter from Hattie's uncle Chester say?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)