|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the "doctor" in the area?
2. Why does Hattie send Karl and Chase to her house?
(a) To keep them away from the flu germs.
(b) To feed her animals.
(c) To get more flaxseed.
(d) To get more sagebrush.
3. Who does Leafie and Hattie call upon one day?
(a) Traft Martin.
(b) Reverend Tweed.
(c) The Mueller family.
(d) The Ren family.
4. What does Hattie's next installment to the newspaper describe?
(a) Threshing flax.
(b) Getting a sow and young pigs.
(c) The first brood of chickens.
(d) The Independence Day Parade.
5. What does Hattie get to do during the game the picnic participants play?
(a) Nothing as women are not allowed.
(b) Play quarterback.
6. What is the situation like when Hattie goes over to the Mueller house?
(a) Perilee is very close to delivering.
(b) Perilee is working on the quilt feverishly.
(c) Mattie is being difficult.
(d) Chase is very ill.
7. Why does Karl come over to Hattie's home late one night?
(a) To fix her hen house when coyotes break into it.
(b) To tell Hattie the baby is coming.
(c) To ask her to move in with Perilee when he is drafted.
(d) Looking for Leafie.
8. What does Rooster Jim come to tell Hattie?
(a) That Traft has been drafted.
(b) That Mr. Ebgard wants to meet with Hattie.
(c) That Karl has been shot.
(d) That Traft has filed a contest to Hattie's claim.
9. What news do Hattie and Leafie bring back to the Ren family?
(a) That Elmer will be home within an hour or two.
(b) That Elmer's trial is set for the next month.
(c) That Elmer will be released on bail the next day.
(d) That Elmer will be released on bail within a week.
10. Who does Leafie say she'll talk to on Elmer's behalf?
(a) Deputy Patton.
(b) Reverend Shatz.
(c) Sheriff Jones.
(d) Reverend Tweed.
11. What does Rooster Jim use as a trellis for his string beans?
(a) A bicycle.
(b) A few strands of barbed wire.
(c) An old loom.
(d) A rusted plow.
12. Who drops his/her flag?
13. What did Hattie used to think men should do?
(a) Try as much as possible to avoid the draft.
(b) Do his duty and register for the draft.
(c) Refuse to fight.
(d) Refuse to register.
14. Who brings news of the Spanish influenza to Hattie in October?
(a) Rooster Jim.
(b) Karl Mueller.
(d) Traft Martin.
15. Why must Karl stay home?
(a) Government agents are looking for him.
(b) To protect the livestock.
(c) To plant an additional forty acres.
(d) Perilee is close to giving birth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elmer Junior chase Deputy Patton?
2. What is everyone encouraged to buy on National War Savings Day?
3. How does Chase help in the threshing?
4. What does Hattie suggest forgiveness is an important part of?
5. Where was Charlie's friend standing when the man was killed?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)