|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what is Hattie threatened when she voices her concern about a pledge?
(a) Her name being published in the local newspaper.
(b) Her homestead approval being turned down.
(c) A trip in front of the judge to review her patriotism.
(d) Her bank account being seized.
2. What kind of tea does Leafie mix to fight the flu?
(a) Sagebrush tea.
(b) Green tea.
(c) Flax tea.
(d) Oolong tea.
3. Why does Traft help Hattie into the house?
(a) She trips and sprains her arm.
(b) She trips and sprains her ankle.
(c) She faints from the heat.
(d) He is a gentleman.
4. What did Hattie used to think men should do?
(a) Do his duty and register for the draft.
(b) Try as much as possible to avoid the draft.
(c) Refuse to register.
(d) Refuse to fight.
5. How does Hattie help the person being harassed?
(a) She slaps Traft.
(b) She tells him Perilee wants him.
(c) She pretends she has an appointment with him.
(d) She asks Perilee for advice.
6. What does Traft ask Hattie?
(a) To marry him.
(b) To make a deal with him about her ranch.
(c) To go with him to another dance.
(d) To forgive him for his belonging to the Defense League.
7. What does Hattie's next installment to the newspaper describe?
(a) Getting a sow and young pigs.
(b) The first brood of chickens.
(c) The Independence Day Parade.
(d) Threshing flax.
8. Who is Traft and others harassing?
(a) Karl Mueller.
(b) Perilee Mueller.
(c) Chase Mueller.
(d) Mr. Ebgard.
9. What causes Hattie to become angry again at Traft?
(a) He makes mean remarks about "Huns."
(b) He makes mean remarks about the Muellers.
(c) He asks to buy her land again.
(d) He says Ebgard deserved what he got.
10. What sound breaks into Hattie's thoughts as she is walking home?
(a) A coyote howl.
(b) The screech of several jays.
(c) Wolves howling.
11. Who visits Hattie the morning after she learns of the flu epidemic?
(b) Reverend Tweed.
(d) Chase and Richley.
12. What gives Hattie warning that someone is approaching?
(a) Plug neighs.
(b) Dust on the coulee.
(c) The chickens start squawking.
(d) Her dog barks.
13. What does Traft say the person he is harassing must do to demonstrate loyalty to the United States?
(a) Stand attention for one hour in front of the flag.
(b) Crawl to the flag.
(c) Carry the flag up and down the street ten times a day.
(d) Salute Traft.
14. What does Hattie see with Leafie?
(a) A homeless goat.
(b) A military tank.
(c) The new style of bicycles.
(d) The newest in automobiles.
15. What does Hattie have Chase doing?
(a) Getting Mattie to sleep.
(b) Filling the chip box and fetching water.
(c) Wiping his mother's face down with a cool rag.
(d) Keeping Mattie occupied outside.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rooster Jim land in a hay bale?
2. What does Mr. Nefzger give Hattie?
3. What does Traft say about why he is not serving in the military?
4. What does Hattie manage to do despite her fears?
5. Who does Leafie say she'll talk to on Elmer's behalf?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)