|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hattie do at the Mueller's while waiting for Leafie?
(a) Read the Bible to Perilee for distraction.
(b) Makes up a bed for the forthcoming infant.
(c) Builds a fire in the stove.
(d) Reads up on childbirthing from the home nursing manual.
2. What does Hattie get to do during the game the picnic participants play?
(b) Play quarterback.
(d) Nothing as women are not allowed.
3. Who is Traft and others harassing?
(a) Chase Mueller.
(b) Perilee Mueller.
(c) Mr. Ebgard.
(d) Karl Mueller.
4. Why do Hattie and Jim discover while playing chess?
(a) Neither of them actually enjoy chess that much.
(b) The latest way in which the war will cost them.
(c) They would like to play some other games, too.
(d) They are in love.
5. Who comes to help Hattie thresh?
(a) Karl and Rooster Jim.
(b) Karl and other neighbors.
(c) No one.
(d) Just Karl.
6. What does the fifteen starts in Charlie's last letter indicate?
(a) Hattie is not sure what that means.
(b) Charlie has fifteen days left in his enlistment.
(c) Charlie lost fifteen more friends.
(d) Charlie will be coming home on the 15th of September.
7. Of what are the papers full?
(a) Reports of the wounded and killed.
(b) Reports of the great victories Americans were having.
(c) Reports of people accused of sedition.
(d) Reports of the huge losses the Americans were suffering in the war.
8. What does Rooster Jim have when he comes towards Hattie?
(a) A buggy.
(b) A new horse.
(c) A gun.
(d) A bicycle.
9. Who visits Hattie the morning after she learns of the flu epidemic?
(c) Reverend Tweed.
(d) Chase and Richley.
10. What store does Hattie stop at in town?
11. Where does Leafie invite Hattie?
(a) To observe a litter of puppies being born.
(b) A birthing at Maud Fen's home.
(c) To a parade down the mainstreet of Vida.
(d) A parade at Wolf Point.
12. Who does not attend the Independence Day picnic?
(a) The Tweeds.
(b) The Fens.
(c) The Martins.
(d) Rooster Jim.
13. Why is Elmer Ren arrested?
(a) For stealing a cow.
(b) For stealing a chicken.
(c) For setting fire to Karl's barn.
(d) For failure to register for the draft.
14. Why must Karl stay home?
(a) Government agents are looking for him.
(b) To plant an additional forty acres.
(c) To protect the livestock.
(d) Perilee is close to giving birth.
15. Who dies in Hattie's arms?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hattie insist is hers to do when she is talking with Trask?
2. Why does Hattie send Karl and Chase to her house?
3. Who does Leafie and Hattie call upon one day?
4. Who is the "doctor" in the area?
5. What did Hattie used to think men should do?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)