|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Hattie to become angry again at Traft?
(a) He says Ebgard deserved what he got.
(b) He asks to buy her land again.
(c) He makes mean remarks about the Muellers.
(d) He makes mean remarks about "Huns."
2. What does Hattie insist is hers to do when she is talking with Trask?
(a) Decide when to harvest.
(b) Making mistakes.
(c) Decide what to plant.
(d) Decide how to run the fencing.
3. Where is Elmer Ren?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He is still in jail for draft dodging.
(c) He has enlisted.
(d) He went to Canada.
4. Who does Hattie encounter after talking to Mr. Nefzger?
5. What does Mr. Hanson offer Hattie and Leafie?
(a) A cold glass of tea.
(b) A cold beer.
(c) Candy and sarsaparilla.
(d) A spot near the front of the viewing stand.
6. Why do Hattie and Jim discover while playing chess?
(a) They are in love.
(b) They would like to play some other games, too.
(c) The latest way in which the war will cost them.
(d) Neither of them actually enjoy chess that much.
7. Where does Leafie invite Hattie?
(a) To observe a litter of puppies being born.
(b) A birthing at Maud Fen's home.
(c) To a parade down the mainstreet of Vida.
(d) A parade at Wolf Point.
8. What sound breaks into Hattie's thoughts as she is walking home?
(b) Wolves howling.
(c) The screech of several jays.
(d) A coyote howl.
9. What does Rooster Jim have when he comes towards Hattie?
(a) A buggy.
(b) A new horse.
(c) A bicycle.
(d) A gun.
10. Who is Traft and others harassing?
(a) Karl Mueller.
(b) Mr. Ebgard.
(c) Chase Mueller.
(d) Perilee Mueller.
11. What news do Hattie and Leafie bring back to the Ren family?
(a) That Elmer will be home within an hour or two.
(b) That Elmer's trial is set for the next month.
(c) That Elmer will be released on bail the next day.
(d) That Elmer will be released on bail within a week.
12. What did Hattie used to think men should do?
(a) Refuse to register.
(b) Refuse to fight.
(c) Do his duty and register for the draft.
(d) Try as much as possible to avoid the draft.
13. Why does Elmer Junior chase Deputy Patton?
(a) For beating his father.
(b) For shooting Elmer's dog who attacks the Deputy.
(c) For pushing his pregnant mother.
(d) For arresting his father.
14. What does Hattie's next installment to the newspaper describe?
(a) Threshing flax.
(b) Getting a sow and young pigs.
(c) The first brood of chickens.
(d) The Independence Day Parade.
15. What does Hattie manage to do despite her fears?
(a) Tie off and cut the cord and clean up Charlotta.
(b) Keep Mattie from getting hysterical.
(c) Milk the cow for milk for the new baby.
(d) Deliver twins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rooster Jim come to tell Hattie?
2. What does Rooster Jim think Hattie needs?
3. What does Traft ask Hattie?
4. Why is Hattie's crop mostly cattle feed?
5. How does Chase help in the threshing?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)