|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are shocks?
(a) An unrolled hay bale.
(b) An oblong hay bale.
(c) Bundles of flax.
(d) Bundles of wheat.
2. What day has been declared National War Savings Day?
(a) August 12.
(b) November 11.
(c) January 1.
(d) June 28th.
3. Why must Karl stay home?
(a) Government agents are looking for him.
(b) To plant an additional forty acres.
(c) To protect the livestock.
(d) Perilee is close to giving birth.
4. Why does Elmer Junior chase Deputy Patton?
(a) For pushing his pregnant mother.
(b) For beating his father.
(c) For shooting Elmer's dog who attacks the Deputy.
(d) For arresting his father.
5. What does Traft say about why he is not serving in the military?
(a) He has a weak heart.
(b) His mother got him an appointment with the Council of Defense.
(c) He has a fake eye.
(d) He is the sole surviving son.
6. With what is Hattie threatened when she voices her concern about a pledge?
(a) Her homestead approval being turned down.
(b) Her name being published in the local newspaper.
(c) Her bank account being seized.
(d) A trip in front of the judge to review her patriotism.
7. Where is Elmer Ren?
(a) He has enlisted.
(b) He is dead.
(c) He went to Canada.
(d) He is still in jail for draft dodging.
8. Of what are the papers full?
(a) Reports of the wounded and killed.
(b) Reports of people accused of sedition.
(c) Reports of the great victories Americans were having.
(d) Reports of the huge losses the Americans were suffering in the war.
9. Who is Charlotte?
(a) Leafie's apprentice.
(b) The new baby.
(c) Traft Martin's new wife.
(d) Rooster Jim's new wife.
10. Who is Traft and others harassing?
(a) Perilee Mueller.
(b) Mr. Ebgard.
(c) Chase Mueller.
(d) Karl Mueller.
11. What does Hattie's next installment to the newspaper describe?
(a) Threshing flax.
(b) The first brood of chickens.
(c) The Independence Day Parade.
(d) Getting a sow and young pigs.
12. What is the situation like when Hattie goes over to the Mueller house?
(a) Perilee is very close to delivering.
(b) Mattie is being difficult.
(c) Chase is very ill.
(d) Perilee is working on the quilt feverishly.
13. Who visits Hattie the morning after she learns of the flu epidemic?
(b) Chase and Richley.
(c) Reverend Tweed.
14. Who is running errands for Karl?
15. Who comes to help Hattie thresh?
(a) Karl and Rooster Jim.
(b) Karl and other neighbors.
(c) Just Karl.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hattie think about in relation to Elmer's situation?
2. What does Perilee promise that she is unable to keep?
3. What happens before Karl returns?
4. What does Hattie realize when she has been back home for a couple days?
5. What does Hattie have Chase doing?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)