|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Leafie and Hattie call upon one day?
(a) Traft Martin.
(b) Reverend Tweed.
(c) The Mueller family.
(d) The Ren family.
2. What is everyone encouraged to buy on National War Savings Day?
(a) War savings stamps.
(b) War posters.
(c) Home-grown produce.
(d) Bracelets with soldiers' names on them.
3. What does Hattie see with Leafie?
(a) A homeless goat.
(b) The new style of bicycles.
(c) The newest in automobiles.
(d) A military tank.
4. What does Hattie realize when she has been back home for a couple days?
(a) She is upset about Rooster Jim marrying.
(b) She misses being with the Muellers.
(c) She is not going to be able to work for several days.
(d) She is ill.
5. What gives Hattie warning that someone is approaching?
(a) The chickens start squawking.
(b) Plug neighs.
(c) Her dog barks.
(d) Dust on the coulee.
6. What is Richey going to pick up for Karl?
(a) A sideboard.
(b) A new plow.
(c) A tractor part.
(d) A bag of mold resistent seeds.
7. What does Rooster Jim come to tell Hattie?
(a) That Traft has been drafted.
(b) That Mr. Ebgard wants to meet with Hattie.
(c) That Karl has been shot.
(d) That Traft has filed a contest to Hattie's claim.
8. What sound breaks into Hattie's thoughts as she is walking home?
(a) The screech of several jays.
(c) Wolves howling.
(d) A coyote howl.
9. What makes preparing a meal difficult for Hattie?
(a) The lack of firewood.
(b) Her best frying pan has warped badly in the heat.
(c) The heat.
(d) The lack of cooking oil.
10. Why does Hattie go through Chester's trunk again?
(a) Hoping to find some money.
(b) To feel connected to Chester.
(c) To see if Chester ever had something like this happen to him.
(d) Hoping to find a picture.
11. What is Hattie told is the minimal allowable pledge?
(a) 5 dollars.
(b) 50 dollars.
(c) 100 dollars.
(d) 10 dollars.
12. Who dies in Hattie's arms?
13. Why does Hattie spend a great deal of time with Perilee these days?
(a) Perilee has chicken pox.
(b) Perilee's baby is expected.
(c) Hattie is afraid of the Defense League members.
(d) Hattie is afraid of Traft Martin.
14. What are shocks?
(a) Bundles of flax.
(b) Bundles of wheat.
(c) An unrolled hay bale.
(d) An oblong hay bale.
15. Who drops his/her flag?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Karl come over to Hattie's home late one night?
2. How does Mr. Ebgard get around the age requirements for a claim?
3. Who is running errands for Karl?
4. What happens when Elmer steps in a prairie dog hole?
5. What does Rooster Jim use as a trellis for his string beans?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)