|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hattie go through Chester's trunk again?
(a) To see if Chester ever had something like this happen to him.
(b) Hoping to find some money.
(c) Hoping to find a picture.
(d) To feel connected to Chester.
2. For what does Hattie pray?
(a) Divine intervention.
(c) The Mueller family's well being.
3. Why does Rooster Jim land in a hay bale?
(a) He cannot control his bike.
(b) The horse throws him into it.
(c) The cow pushes him into it.
(d) He trips on a boulder.
4. Why does Hattie send Karl and Chase to her house?
(a) To get more flaxseed.
(b) To keep them away from the flu germs.
(c) To get more sagebrush.
(d) To feed her animals.
5. Who does Leafie say she'll talk to on Elmer's behalf?
(a) Sheriff Jones.
(b) Reverend Tweed.
(c) Reverend Shatz.
(d) Deputy Patton.
6. What request of Perilee's does Karl refuse?
(a) Move back to Baltimore.
(b) To meet with the Council of Defense members and try to show how good a man he is.
(c) To hire a worker.
(d) To stop attending Lutheran services.
7. Why is Hattie's crop mostly cattle feed?
(a) There is a big call for cattle feed.
(b) Because of the type of seed she was able to afford.
(c) Hailstones ruin it.
(d) It is the maize type of corn.
8. What does Traft ask Hattie?
(a) To forgive him for his belonging to the Defense League.
(b) To make a deal with him about her ranch.
(c) To marry him.
(d) To go with him to another dance.
9. What does Hattie do at the Mueller's while waiting for Leafie?
(a) Reads up on childbirthing from the home nursing manual.
(b) Read the Bible to Perilee for distraction.
(c) Builds a fire in the stove.
(d) Makes up a bed for the forthcoming infant.
10. What game is played on Independence Day?
11. Why does Elmer Junior chase Deputy Patton?
(a) For arresting his father.
(b) For beating his father.
(c) For pushing his pregnant mother.
(d) For shooting Elmer's dog who attacks the Deputy.
12. What causes Hattie to become angry again at Traft?
(a) He asks to buy her land again.
(b) He makes mean remarks about "Huns."
(c) He says Ebgard deserved what he got.
(d) He makes mean remarks about the Muellers.
13. What does Hattie get to do during the game the picnic participants play?
(b) Play quarterback.
(c) Nothing as women are not allowed.
14. Who does Hattie encounter after talking to Mr. Nefzger?
15. What does Hattie think about in relation to Elmer's situation?
(a) How she would be willing to be drafted were she a man.
(b) How she would not want her husband to register.
(c) A sanctimonious letter Hattie once wrote.
(d) How she has protested the war from the beginning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hattie used to think men should do?
2. How does Mr. Ebgard get around the age requirements for a claim?
3. What does Mr. Nefzger give Hattie?
4. What is Hattie told is the minimal allowable pledge?
5. What does Hattie suggest forgiveness is an important part of?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)