|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes preparing a meal difficult for Hattie?
(a) The lack of firewood.
(b) The heat.
(c) The lack of cooking oil.
(d) Her best frying pan has warped badly in the heat.
2. Why do Hattie and Jim discover while playing chess?
(a) Neither of them actually enjoy chess that much.
(b) They would like to play some other games, too.
(c) They are in love.
(d) The latest way in which the war will cost them.
3. Why does Rooster Jim land in a hay bale?
(a) The horse throws him into it.
(b) He trips on a boulder.
(c) The cow pushes him into it.
(d) He cannot control his bike.
4. Who brings news of the Spanish influenza to Hattie in October?
(a) Traft Martin.
(b) Karl Mueller.
(c) Rooster Jim.
5. What causes Hattie to become angry again at Traft?
(a) He asks to buy her land again.
(b) He makes mean remarks about "Huns."
(c) He makes mean remarks about the Muellers.
(d) He says Ebgard deserved what he got.
6. Who dies in Hattie's arms?
7. What does Traft say the person he is harassing must do to demonstrate loyalty to the United States?
(a) Crawl to the flag.
(b) Stand attention for one hour in front of the flag.
(c) Salute Traft.
(d) Carry the flag up and down the street ten times a day.
8. What does Mr. Nefzger give Hattie?
(a) A puppy.
(b) An IOU.
(c) A credit slip.
(d) A pie.
9. What news do Hattie and Leafie bring back to the Ren family?
(a) That Elmer will be released on bail the next day.
(b) That Elmer will be home within an hour or two.
(c) That Elmer's trial is set for the next month.
(d) That Elmer will be released on bail within a week.
10. What is the situation like when Hattie goes over to the Mueller house?
(a) Mattie is being difficult.
(b) Perilee is very close to delivering.
(c) Perilee is working on the quilt feverishly.
(d) Chase is very ill.
11. What does Hattie see with Leafie?
(a) The new style of bicycles.
(b) A military tank.
(c) A homeless goat.
(d) The newest in automobiles.
12. What does Hattie manage to do despite her fears?
(a) Tie off and cut the cord and clean up Charlotta.
(b) Keep Mattie from getting hysterical.
(c) Deliver twins.
(d) Milk the cow for milk for the new baby.
13. Why does Hattie spend a great deal of time with Perilee these days?
(a) Hattie is afraid of Traft Martin.
(b) Perilee's baby is expected.
(c) Perilee has chicken pox.
(d) Hattie is afraid of the Defense League members.
14. What does Traft say about why he is not serving in the military?
(a) He has a weak heart.
(b) He has a fake eye.
(c) He is the sole surviving son.
(d) His mother got him an appointment with the Council of Defense.
15. What does Traft want to tell Hattie when she finds him waiting for her?
(a) He has found out who set the fires that killed Mueller's cow.
(b) His side of the story about the night of the fires.
(c) He knows she cannot make her claim.
(d) He will help her make good on her claim.
Short Answer Questions
1. What store does Hattie stop at in town?
2. What does Traft ask Hattie?
3. Who is Traft and others harassing?
4. What is Hattie told is the minimal allowable pledge?
5. Why has Hattie been taking her mattress outside at night at home?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)