|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hattie's next installment to the newspaper describe?
(a) Getting a sow and young pigs.
(b) The first brood of chickens.
(c) The Independence Day Parade.
(d) Threshing flax.
2. What does Traft ask Hattie?
(a) To go with him to another dance.
(b) To make a deal with him about her ranch.
(c) To forgive him for his belonging to the Defense League.
(d) To marry him.
3. What does Mr. Hanson offer Hattie and Leafie?
(a) A cold glass of tea.
(b) Candy and sarsaparilla.
(c) A spot near the front of the viewing stand.
(d) A cold beer.
4. What news do Hattie and Leafie bring back to the Ren family?
(a) That Elmer's trial is set for the next month.
(b) That Elmer will be released on bail within a week.
(c) That Elmer will be home within an hour or two.
(d) That Elmer will be released on bail the next day.
5. Where does Leafie invite Hattie?
(a) To a parade down the mainstreet of Vida.
(b) To observe a litter of puppies being born.
(c) A birthing at Maud Fen's home.
(d) A parade at Wolf Point.
6. What is Hattie told is the minimal allowable pledge?
(a) 50 dollars.
(b) 100 dollars.
(c) 5 dollars.
(d) 10 dollars.
7. Why does Hattie go through Chester's trunk again?
(a) To see if Chester ever had something like this happen to him.
(b) Hoping to find some money.
(c) To feel connected to Chester.
(d) Hoping to find a picture.
8. Who comes to help Hattie thresh?
(a) No one.
(b) Karl and other neighbors.
(c) Karl and Rooster Jim.
(d) Just Karl.
9. What are Hattie and Perilee working on together?
(a) The baby's quilt.
(b) A needlepoint tapestry.
(c) A present for Karl.
(d) New clothes for the children.
10. Why is Elmer Ren arrested?
(a) For stealing a cow.
(b) For stealing a chicken.
(c) For failure to register for the draft.
(d) For setting fire to Karl's barn.
11. What has to be done for Charlotte?
(a) Keep her warm.
(b) Teach her about being a settler's wife.
(c) Welcome her.
(d) Let her handle the birth to learn how to do it.
12. What does Perilee promise that she is unable to keep?
(a) That Hattie can have Violet back as soon as Karl returns with a new cow.
(b) That Violet will be well cared for when Hattie goes to Seattle.
(c) That the quilt will be done before the baby is born.
(d) That Karl will plant Hattie's forty acres required by the claims office.
13. What happens before Karl returns?
(a) The quilt gets finished.
(b) The baby is born.
(c) Perilee passes out.
(d) Chase dies.
14. Why is Hattie's crop mostly cattle feed?
(a) Because of the type of seed she was able to afford.
(b) It is the maize type of corn.
(c) Hailstones ruin it.
(d) There is a big call for cattle feed.
15. How does Chase help in the threshing?
(a) Counting the shocks by making marks on a piece of wood.
(b) He does not help.
(c) Carrying water out to the fields.
(d) Bundling the shocks.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hattie help the person being harassed?
2. Who is running errands for Karl?
3. What makes preparing a meal difficult for Hattie?
4. What does Traft say the person he is harassing must do to demonstrate loyalty to the United States?
5. What does Hattie think about in relation to Elmer's situation?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)