|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what are the papers full?
(a) Reports of the wounded and killed.
(b) Reports of people accused of sedition.
(c) Reports of the great victories Americans were having.
(d) Reports of the huge losses the Americans were suffering in the war.
2. Who dies in Hattie's arms?
3. Who is Charlotte?
(a) The new baby.
(b) Traft Martin's new wife.
(c) Rooster Jim's new wife.
(d) Leafie's apprentice.
4. What are shocks?
(a) Bundles of flax.
(b) Bundles of wheat.
(c) An oblong hay bale.
(d) An unrolled hay bale.
5. For what does Hattie pray?
(b) The Mueller family's well being.
(d) Divine intervention.
6. What does Rooster Jim come to tell Hattie?
(a) That Traft has been drafted.
(b) That Karl has been shot.
(c) That Traft has filed a contest to Hattie's claim.
(d) That Mr. Ebgard wants to meet with Hattie.
7. Why does Karl come over to Hattie's home late one night?
(a) To ask her to move in with Perilee when he is drafted.
(b) Looking for Leafie.
(c) To fix her hen house when coyotes break into it.
(d) To tell Hattie the baby is coming.
8. Why must Karl stay home?
(a) To protect the livestock.
(b) To plant an additional forty acres.
(c) Government agents are looking for him.
(d) Perilee is close to giving birth.
9. Who is Traft and others harassing?
(a) Perilee Mueller.
(b) Mr. Ebgard.
(c) Karl Mueller.
(d) Chase Mueller.
10. How does Chase help in the threshing?
(a) Bundling the shocks.
(b) Carrying water out to the fields.
(c) Counting the shocks by making marks on a piece of wood.
(d) He does not help.
11. What has to be done for Charlotte?
(a) Let her handle the birth to learn how to do it.
(b) Keep her warm.
(c) Welcome her.
(d) Teach her about being a settler's wife.
12. What is Richey going to pick up for Karl?
(a) A sideboard.
(b) A new plow.
(c) A tractor part.
(d) A bag of mold resistent seeds.
13. Where does Leafie invite Hattie?
(a) To observe a litter of puppies being born.
(b) To a parade down the mainstreet of Vida.
(c) A birthing at Maud Fen's home.
(d) A parade at Wolf Point.
14. What does Hattie think about in relation to Elmer's situation?
(a) How she would not want her husband to register.
(b) A sanctimonious letter Hattie once wrote.
(c) How she would be willing to be drafted were she a man.
(d) How she has protested the war from the beginning.
15. What does Traft ask Hattie concerning Charlie?
(a) If he is her brother.
(b) If she is waiting for him.
(c) If she is just writing him to support the troops.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hattie do at the Mueller's while waiting for Leafie?
2. What happens that makes Hattie terrified?
3. What does a letter from Charlie reveal?
4. Who drops his/her flag?
5. What happens before Karl returns?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)