|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who drops his/her flag?
2. Who does Leafie say she'll talk to on Elmer's behalf?
(a) Sheriff Jones.
(b) Reverend Tweed.
(c) Deputy Patton.
(d) Reverend Shatz.
3. Who does Hattie encounter after talking to Mr. Nefzger?
4. What does Traft ask Hattie?
(a) To go with him to another dance.
(b) To forgive him for his belonging to the Defense League.
(c) To make a deal with him about her ranch.
(d) To marry him.
5. Who is Charlotte?
(a) Traft Martin's new wife.
(b) Rooster Jim's new wife.
(c) Leafie's apprentice.
(d) The new baby.
6. What store does Hattie stop at in town?
7. Of what are the papers full?
(a) Reports of people accused of sedition.
(b) Reports of the wounded and killed.
(c) Reports of the great victories Americans were having.
(d) Reports of the huge losses the Americans were suffering in the war.
8. What does President Wilson want on September 12?
(a) An armistice.
(b) Thirteen million draftees.
(c) Twenty million draftees.
(d) Five million draftees.
9. Why does Hattie send Karl and Chase to her house?
(a) To get more flaxseed.
(b) To get more sagebrush.
(c) To keep them away from the flu germs.
(d) To feed her animals.
10. Why does Karl come over to Hattie's home late one night?
(a) To tell Hattie the baby is coming.
(b) To ask her to move in with Perilee when he is drafted.
(c) To fix her hen house when coyotes break into it.
(d) Looking for Leafie.
11. What does Perilee promise that she is unable to keep?
(a) That Violet will be well cared for when Hattie goes to Seattle.
(b) That Karl will plant Hattie's forty acres required by the claims office.
(c) That Hattie can have Violet back as soon as Karl returns with a new cow.
(d) That the quilt will be done before the baby is born.
12. What did Hattie used to think men should do?
(a) Refuse to fight.
(b) Refuse to register.
(c) Do his duty and register for the draft.
(d) Try as much as possible to avoid the draft.
13. Who is Traft and others harassing?
(a) Karl Mueller.
(b) Perilee Mueller.
(c) Mr. Ebgard.
(d) Chase Mueller.
14. What makes preparing a meal difficult for Hattie?
(a) Her best frying pan has warped badly in the heat.
(b) The heat.
(c) The lack of cooking oil.
(d) The lack of firewood.
15. Who does not attend the Independence Day picnic?
(a) Rooster Jim.
(b) The Tweeds.
(c) The Martins.
(d) The Fens.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Nefzger give Hattie?
2. What does Perilee instead Karl do?
3. What is Richey going to pick up for Karl?
4. What does Traft say the person he is harassing must do to demonstrate loyalty to the United States?
5. With what is Hattie threatened when she voices her concern about a pledge?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)