|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rooster Jim use as a trellis for his string beans?
(a) An old loom.
(b) A few strands of barbed wire.
(c) A bicycle.
(d) A rusted plow.
2. Why is Elmer Ren arrested?
(a) For failure to register for the draft.
(b) For setting fire to Karl's barn.
(c) For stealing a cow.
(d) For stealing a chicken.
3. What game is played on Independence Day?
4. What makes preparing a meal difficult for Hattie?
(a) Her best frying pan has warped badly in the heat.
(b) The lack of cooking oil.
(c) The heat.
(d) The lack of firewood.
5. What does Hattie have Chase doing?
(a) Keeping Mattie occupied outside.
(b) Wiping his mother's face down with a cool rag.
(c) Filling the chip box and fetching water.
(d) Getting Mattie to sleep.
6. What does Traft ask Hattie concerning Charlie?
(a) If he is her brother.
(c) If she is just writing him to support the troops.
(d) If she is waiting for him.
7. What begins on September 12, 1918?
(a) The end of WWI.
(b) Registration for the third draft.
(c) Harvesting the milo.
(d) Harvesting a second wheat crop.
8. Why does Karl come over to Hattie's home late one night?
(a) To fix her hen house when coyotes break into it.
(b) Looking for Leafie.
(c) To ask her to move in with Perilee when he is drafted.
(d) To tell Hattie the baby is coming.
9. Why does Rooster Jim land in a hay bale?
(a) The cow pushes him into it.
(b) The horse throws him into it.
(c) He cannot control his bike.
(d) He trips on a boulder.
10. Who drops his/her flag?
11. What does Rooster Jim think Hattie needs?
(a) A husband.
(c) A musical instrument.
(d) A pig.
12. Who brings news of the Spanish influenza to Hattie in October?
(a) Traft Martin.
(b) Karl Mueller.
(d) Rooster Jim.
13. What causes Hattie to become angry again at Traft?
(a) He asks to buy her land again.
(b) He says Ebgard deserved what he got.
(c) He makes mean remarks about "Huns."
(d) He makes mean remarks about the Muellers.
14. What does Hattie manage to do despite her fears?
(a) Milk the cow for milk for the new baby.
(b) Tie off and cut the cord and clean up Charlotta.
(c) Deliver twins.
(d) Keep Mattie from getting hysterical.
15. What happens when Elmer steps in a prairie dog hole?
(a) He breaks his arm.
(b) He cries in frustration
(c) He breaks his ankle.
(d) He is bitten by a prairie dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hattie insist is hers to do when she is talking with Trask?
2. What does Traft make a point of mentioning to Hattie as he waters his horse?
3. What does Perilee instead Karl do?
4. Who is running errands for Karl?
5. How does Chase help in the threshing?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)