|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does not attend the Independence Day picnic?
(a) Rooster Jim.
(b) The Tweeds.
(c) The Martins.
(d) The Fens.
2. What happens that makes Hattie terrified?
(a) Black clouds roll in.
(b) A rabid wolf almost attacks Chase.
(d) Plug gets stuck in a prairie dog hole.
3. Why does Traft help Hattie into the house?
(a) He is a gentleman.
(b) She trips and sprains her ankle.
(c) She trips and sprains her arm.
(d) She faints from the heat.
4. What did Hattie used to think men should do?
(a) Refuse to register.
(b) Do his duty and register for the draft.
(c) Try as much as possible to avoid the draft.
(d) Refuse to fight.
5. Where was Charlie's friend standing when the man was killed?
(a) About twenty yards away.
(b) Charlie does not say.
(c) Within a couple feet.
(d) Several hundred yards.
6. What does Hattie think about in relation to Elmer's situation?
(a) How she has protested the war from the beginning.
(b) How she would not want her husband to register.
(c) How she would be willing to be drafted were she a man.
(d) A sanctimonious letter Hattie once wrote.
7. What does Hattie have Chase doing?
(a) Getting Mattie to sleep.
(b) Keeping Mattie occupied outside.
(c) Filling the chip box and fetching water.
(d) Wiping his mother's face down with a cool rag.
8. Who dies in Hattie's arms?
9. What game is played on Independence Day?
10. What does Hattie insist is hers to do when she is talking with Trask?
(a) Decide how to run the fencing.
(b) Making mistakes.
(c) Decide what to plant.
(d) Decide when to harvest.
11. Who is Traft and others harassing?
(a) Perilee Mueller.
(b) Chase Mueller.
(c) Karl Mueller.
(d) Mr. Ebgard.
12. Why is Elmer Ren arrested?
(a) For stealing a chicken.
(b) For stealing a cow.
(c) For setting fire to Karl's barn.
(d) For failure to register for the draft.
13. What begins on September 12, 1918?
(a) The end of WWI.
(b) Registration for the third draft.
(c) Harvesting the milo.
(d) Harvesting a second wheat crop.
14. Who is running errands for Karl?
15. What does the fifteen starts in Charlie's last letter indicate?
(a) Charlie has fifteen days left in his enlistment.
(b) Charlie will be coming home on the 15th of September.
(c) Hattie is not sure what that means.
(d) Charlie lost fifteen more friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rooster Jim have when he comes towards Hattie?
2. What does Traft ask Hattie concerning Charlie?
3. What happens when Elmer steps in a prairie dog hole?
4. How does Chase help in the threshing?
5. Who visits Hattie the morning after she learns of the flu epidemic?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)