|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rooster Jim come to tell Hattie?
(a) That Mr. Ebgard wants to meet with Hattie.
(b) That Traft has filed a contest to Hattie's claim.
(c) That Karl has been shot.
(d) That Traft has been drafted.
2. What does Traft ask Hattie concerning Charlie?
(a) If she is just writing him to support the troops.
(b) If she is waiting for him.
(c) If he is her brother.
3. What does Mr. Nefzger give Hattie?
(a) A pie.
(b) An IOU.
(c) A credit slip.
(d) A puppy.
4. What happens that makes Hattie terrified?
(a) Black clouds roll in.
(c) A rabid wolf almost attacks Chase.
(d) Plug gets stuck in a prairie dog hole.
5. What does Hattie do at the Mueller's while waiting for Leafie?
(a) Read the Bible to Perilee for distraction.
(b) Makes up a bed for the forthcoming infant.
(c) Reads up on childbirthing from the home nursing manual.
(d) Builds a fire in the stove.
6. What is Richey going to pick up for Karl?
(a) A new plow.
(b) A bag of mold resistent seeds.
(c) A tractor part.
(d) A sideboard.
7. Why must Karl stay home?
(a) To protect the livestock.
(b) Government agents are looking for him.
(c) To plant an additional forty acres.
(d) Perilee is close to giving birth.
8. What is everyone encouraged to buy on National War Savings Day?
(a) War posters.
(b) Bracelets with soldiers' names on them.
(c) War savings stamps.
(d) Home-grown produce.
9. Who dies in Hattie's arms?
10. What has to be done for Charlotte?
(a) Welcome her.
(b) Teach her about being a settler's wife.
(c) Keep her warm.
(d) Let her handle the birth to learn how to do it.
11. What does Traft say the person he is harassing must do to demonstrate loyalty to the United States?
(a) Carry the flag up and down the street ten times a day.
(b) Salute Traft.
(c) Stand attention for one hour in front of the flag.
(d) Crawl to the flag.
12. Of what are the papers full?
(a) Reports of the great victories Americans were having.
(b) Reports of people accused of sedition.
(c) Reports of the huge losses the Americans were suffering in the war.
(d) Reports of the wounded and killed.
13. How does Chase help in the threshing?
(a) He does not help.
(b) Bundling the shocks.
(c) Carrying water out to the fields.
(d) Counting the shocks by making marks on a piece of wood.
14. What does Hattie think about in relation to Elmer's situation?
(a) How she has protested the war from the beginning.
(b) How she would not want her husband to register.
(c) How she would be willing to be drafted were she a man.
(d) A sanctimonious letter Hattie once wrote.
15. What does Hattie realize about Traft that softens her attitude towards him momentarily?
(a) That his mother rules over him.
(b) That he is not very bright.
(c) That he does care about Hattie.
(d) That he is probably going to die young.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hattie help the person being harassed?
2. Why does Karl come over to Hattie's home late one night?
3. What does Traft make a point of mentioning to Hattie as he waters his horse?
4. What does President Wilson want on September 12?
5. For what does Hattie pray?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)