|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what is Hattie threatened when she voices her concern about a pledge?
(a) Her bank account being seized.
(b) Her homestead approval being turned down.
(c) Her name being published in the local newspaper.
(d) A trip in front of the judge to review her patriotism.
2. Why does Elmer Junior chase Deputy Patton?
(a) For arresting his father.
(b) For shooting Elmer's dog who attacks the Deputy.
(c) For beating his father.
(d) For pushing his pregnant mother.
3. Why does Hattie send Karl and Chase to her house?
(a) To get more flaxseed.
(b) To feed her animals.
(c) To get more sagebrush.
(d) To keep them away from the flu germs.
4. Who does not attend the Independence Day picnic?
(a) The Tweeds.
(b) Rooster Jim.
(c) The Martins.
(d) The Fens.
5. What are shocks?
(a) An oblong hay bale.
(b) An unrolled hay bale.
(c) Bundles of wheat.
(d) Bundles of flax.
6. Why is Elmer Ren arrested?
(a) For stealing a chicken.
(b) For setting fire to Karl's barn.
(c) For failure to register for the draft.
(d) For stealing a cow.
7. Who does Leafie and Hattie call upon one day?
(a) Reverend Tweed.
(b) The Mueller family.
(c) The Ren family.
(d) Traft Martin.
8. How does Hattie help the person being harassed?
(a) She pretends she has an appointment with him.
(b) She asks Perilee for advice.
(c) She slaps Traft.
(d) She tells him Perilee wants him.
9. Where was Charlie's friend standing when the man was killed?
(a) About twenty yards away.
(b) Charlie does not say.
(c) Within a couple feet.
(d) Several hundred yards.
10. Who brings news of the Spanish influenza to Hattie in October?
(b) Rooster Jim.
(c) Traft Martin.
(d) Karl Mueller.
11. What does Hattie realize when she has been back home for a couple days?
(a) She misses being with the Muellers.
(b) She is ill.
(c) She is upset about Rooster Jim marrying.
(d) She is not going to be able to work for several days.
12. Where is Elmer Ren?
(a) He went to Canada.
(b) He is dead.
(c) He has enlisted.
(d) He is still in jail for draft dodging.
13. What does Mr. Nefzger give Hattie?
(a) A pie.
(b) An IOU.
(c) A puppy.
(d) A credit slip.
14. Who drops his/her flag?
15. What does Hattie insist is hers to do when she is talking with Trask?
(a) Making mistakes.
(b) Decide when to harvest.
(c) Decide what to plant.
(d) Decide how to run the fencing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Leafie invite Hattie?
2. What does Traft ask Hattie concerning Charlie?
3. What causes Hattie to become angry again at Traft?
4. What is Hattie told is the minimal allowable pledge?
5. Of what are the papers full?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)