|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is running errands for Karl?
2. What does Hattie insist is hers to do when she is talking with Trask?
(a) Decide what to plant.
(b) Decide when to harvest.
(c) Making mistakes.
(d) Decide how to run the fencing.
3. What does Traft want to tell Hattie when she finds him waiting for her?
(a) He knows she cannot make her claim.
(b) He has found out who set the fires that killed Mueller's cow.
(c) His side of the story about the night of the fires.
(d) He will help her make good on her claim.
4. What game is played on Independence Day?
5. What kind of tea does Leafie mix to fight the flu?
(a) Flax tea.
(b) Sagebrush tea.
(c) Green tea.
(d) Oolong tea.
6. What is Hattie told is the minimal allowable pledge?
(a) 10 dollars.
(b) 5 dollars.
(c) 100 dollars.
(d) 50 dollars.
7. What does the fifteen starts in Charlie's last letter indicate?
(a) Hattie is not sure what that means.
(b) Charlie lost fifteen more friends.
(c) Charlie will be coming home on the 15th of September.
(d) Charlie has fifteen days left in his enlistment.
8. What does Hattie get to do during the game the picnic participants play?
(a) Play quarterback.
(c) Nothing as women are not allowed.
9. What does Traft ask Hattie concerning Charlie?
(b) If she is waiting for him.
(c) If she is just writing him to support the troops.
(d) If he is her brother.
10. Why does Traft help Hattie into the house?
(a) She faints from the heat.
(b) She trips and sprains her arm.
(c) She trips and sprains her ankle.
(d) He is a gentleman.
11. Why do Hattie and Jim discover while playing chess?
(a) They are in love.
(b) The latest way in which the war will cost them.
(c) Neither of them actually enjoy chess that much.
(d) They would like to play some other games, too.
12. How does Mr. Ebgard get around the age requirements for a claim?
(a) He treats the claim like an inheritance.
(b) He rules that head of household status overrides age requirements.
(c) He writes for a Congressional dispensation.
(d) He is unable to get around the age requirement problem.
13. What does President Wilson want on September 12?
(a) Thirteen million draftees.
(b) Five million draftees.
(c) An armistice.
(d) Twenty million draftees.
14. What does Hattie realize about Traft that softens her attitude towards him momentarily?
(a) That his mother rules over him.
(b) That he does care about Hattie.
(c) That he is not very bright.
(d) That he is probably going to die young.
15. Why has Hattie been taking her mattress outside at night at home?
(a) To try to get rid of the bedbugs.
(b) To escape the heat inside.
(c) To replace the floor boards that are rotten.
(d) To get rid of some mice in the mattress.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hattie spend a great deal of time with Perilee these days?
2. Why does Elmer Junior chase Deputy Patton?
3. Why must Karl stay home?
4. Why does Karl come over to Hattie's home late one night?
5. Of what are the papers full?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)