|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Elmer Ren arrested?
(a) For stealing a cow.
(b) For stealing a chicken.
(c) For failure to register for the draft.
(d) For setting fire to Karl's barn.
2. What does Hattie manage to do despite her fears?
(a) Deliver twins.
(b) Keep Mattie from getting hysterical.
(c) Tie off and cut the cord and clean up Charlotta.
(d) Milk the cow for milk for the new baby.
3. What does Hattie insist is hers to do when she is talking with Trask?
(a) Decide what to plant.
(b) Decide how to run the fencing.
(c) Decide when to harvest.
(d) Making mistakes.
4. For what does Hattie pray?
(b) Divine intervention.
(d) The Mueller family's well being.
5. What does Hattie's next installment to the newspaper describe?
(a) Getting a sow and young pigs.
(b) The first brood of chickens.
(c) The Independence Day Parade.
(d) Threshing flax.
6. What does Perilee promise that she is unable to keep?
(a) That Karl will plant Hattie's forty acres required by the claims office.
(b) That the quilt will be done before the baby is born.
(c) That Violet will be well cared for when Hattie goes to Seattle.
(d) That Hattie can have Violet back as soon as Karl returns with a new cow.
7. Why must Karl stay home?
(a) To protect the livestock.
(b) Perilee is close to giving birth.
(c) Government agents are looking for him.
(d) To plant an additional forty acres.
8. Why does Hattie send Karl and Chase to her house?
(a) To get more flaxseed.
(b) To feed her animals.
(c) To keep them away from the flu germs.
(d) To get more sagebrush.
9. What does a letter from Charlie reveal?
(a) That his unit is returning to New York in a week.
(b) That he is on his way to Montana.
(c) That he is in the hospital as a result of a war wound.
(d) The death of a comrade.
10. What is Richey going to pick up for Karl?
(a) A tractor part.
(b) A bag of mold resistent seeds.
(c) A sideboard.
(d) A new plow.
11. What does Traft want to tell Hattie when she finds him waiting for her?
(a) He knows she cannot make her claim.
(b) He will help her make good on her claim.
(c) His side of the story about the night of the fires.
(d) He has found out who set the fires that killed Mueller's cow.
12. Why does Elmer Junior chase Deputy Patton?
(a) For arresting his father.
(b) For shooting Elmer's dog who attacks the Deputy.
(c) For beating his father.
(d) For pushing his pregnant mother.
13. What happens when Elmer steps in a prairie dog hole?
(a) He is bitten by a prairie dog.
(b) He breaks his ankle.
(c) He cries in frustration
(d) He breaks his arm.
14. Who dies in Hattie's arms?
15. What does Hattie do at the Mueller's while waiting for Leafie?
(a) Read the Bible to Perilee for distraction.
(b) Builds a fire in the stove.
(c) Makes up a bed for the forthcoming infant.
(d) Reads up on childbirthing from the home nursing manual.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Leafie invite Hattie?
2. Why is Hattie's crop mostly cattle feed?
3. Who does Leafie and Hattie call upon one day?
4. What is Hattie told is the minimal allowable pledge?
5. What does Hattie realize about Traft that softens her attitude towards him momentarily?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)