|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What begins on September 12, 1918?
(a) Harvesting the milo.
(b) Registration for the third draft.
(c) Harvesting a second wheat crop.
(d) The end of WWI.
2. What does Hattie insist is hers to do when she is talking with Trask?
(a) Decide how to run the fencing.
(b) Decide what to plant.
(c) Making mistakes.
(d) Decide when to harvest.
3. Who is Traft and others harassing?
(a) Perilee Mueller.
(b) Chase Mueller.
(c) Mr. Ebgard.
(d) Karl Mueller.
4. Why does Karl come over to Hattie's home late one night?
(a) Looking for Leafie.
(b) To fix her hen house when coyotes break into it.
(c) To tell Hattie the baby is coming.
(d) To ask her to move in with Perilee when he is drafted.
5. What does Rooster Jim have when he comes towards Hattie?
(a) A buggy.
(b) A new horse.
(c) A bicycle.
(d) A gun.
6. Who dies in Hattie's arms?
7. What happens that makes Hattie terrified?
(a) Plug gets stuck in a prairie dog hole.
(c) A rabid wolf almost attacks Chase.
(d) Black clouds roll in.
8. Why is Elmer Ren arrested?
(a) For failure to register for the draft.
(b) For stealing a chicken.
(c) For stealing a cow.
(d) For setting fire to Karl's barn.
9. Where is Elmer Ren?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He went to Canada.
(c) He has enlisted.
(d) He is still in jail for draft dodging.
10. What does Hattie manage to do despite her fears?
(a) Tie off and cut the cord and clean up Charlotta.
(b) Keep Mattie from getting hysterical.
(c) Milk the cow for milk for the new baby.
(d) Deliver twins.
11. What is the situation like when Hattie goes over to the Mueller house?
(a) Perilee is working on the quilt feverishly.
(b) Mattie is being difficult.
(c) Perilee is very close to delivering.
(d) Chase is very ill.
12. Who visits Hattie the morning after she learns of the flu epidemic?
(a) Reverend Tweed.
(c) Chase and Richley.
13. What request of Perilee's does Karl refuse?
(a) To hire a worker.
(b) To meet with the Council of Defense members and try to show how good a man he is.
(c) To stop attending Lutheran services.
(d) Move back to Baltimore.
14. What news do Hattie and Leafie bring back to the Ren family?
(a) That Elmer's trial is set for the next month.
(b) That Elmer will be home within an hour or two.
(c) That Elmer will be released on bail within a week.
(d) That Elmer will be released on bail the next day.
15. Where does Leafie invite Hattie?
(a) A birthing at Maud Fen's home.
(b) A parade at Wolf Point.
(c) To observe a litter of puppies being born.
(d) To a parade down the mainstreet of Vida.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hattie go through Chester's trunk again?
2. Where was Charlie's friend standing when the man was killed?
3. What does a letter from Charlie reveal?
4. Who is the "doctor" in the area?
5. What does Rooster Jim come to tell Hattie?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)