|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Leafie and Hattie call upon one day?
(a) The Ren family.
(b) The Mueller family.
(c) Traft Martin.
(d) Reverend Tweed.
2. Who is Charlotte?
(a) Leafie's apprentice.
(b) Traft Martin's new wife.
(c) Rooster Jim's new wife.
(d) The new baby.
3. What does Rooster Jim use as a trellis for his string beans?
(a) A few strands of barbed wire.
(b) A rusted plow.
(c) An old loom.
(d) A bicycle.
4. What does Hattie realize when she has been back home for a couple days?
(a) She is upset about Rooster Jim marrying.
(b) She is ill.
(c) She is not going to be able to work for several days.
(d) She misses being with the Muellers.
5. Where does Leafie invite Hattie?
(a) A parade at Wolf Point.
(b) To a parade down the mainstreet of Vida.
(c) A birthing at Maud Fen's home.
(d) To observe a litter of puppies being born.
6. What causes Hattie to become angry again at Traft?
(a) He asks to buy her land again.
(b) He makes mean remarks about "Huns."
(c) He says Ebgard deserved what he got.
(d) He makes mean remarks about the Muellers.
7. What does Hattie see with Leafie?
(a) A military tank.
(b) The new style of bicycles.
(c) A homeless goat.
(d) The newest in automobiles.
8. Why does Rooster Jim land in a hay bale?
(a) He cannot control his bike.
(b) The cow pushes him into it.
(c) The horse throws him into it.
(d) He trips on a boulder.
9. What game is played on Independence Day?
10. Why does Traft help Hattie into the house?
(a) She trips and sprains her arm.
(b) She faints from the heat.
(c) He is a gentleman.
(d) She trips and sprains her ankle.
11. Who is running errands for Karl?
12. What does Perilee instead Karl do?
(a) Stay away from the Council of Defense members.
(b) Help Hattie plow.
(c) Not plant the other twenty acres he wanted to do.
(d) Go to church with her in order to foster good will.
13. What does Hattie manage to do despite her fears?
(a) Milk the cow for milk for the new baby.
(b) Keep Mattie from getting hysterical.
(c) Tie off and cut the cord and clean up Charlotta.
(d) Deliver twins.
14. What does Traft say about why he is not serving in the military?
(a) He is the sole surviving son.
(b) His mother got him an appointment with the Council of Defense.
(c) He has a fake eye.
(d) He has a weak heart.
15. What request of Perilee's does Karl refuse?
(a) Move back to Baltimore.
(b) To stop attending Lutheran services.
(c) To meet with the Council of Defense members and try to show how good a man he is.
(d) To hire a worker.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why must Karl stay home?
2. Why do Hattie and Jim discover while playing chess?
3. Why is Elmer Ren arrested?
4. Why does Hattie go through Chester's trunk again?
5. What does Hattie insist is hers to do when she is talking with Trask?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)