|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is everyone encouraged to buy on National War Savings Day?
(a) Bracelets with soldiers' names on them.
(b) Home-grown produce.
(c) War savings stamps.
(d) War posters.
2. What causes Hattie to become angry again at Traft?
(a) He makes mean remarks about the Muellers.
(b) He makes mean remarks about "Huns."
(c) He says Ebgard deserved what he got.
(d) He asks to buy her land again.
3. How does Mr. Ebgard get around the age requirements for a claim?
(a) He treats the claim like an inheritance.
(b) He is unable to get around the age requirement problem.
(c) He writes for a Congressional dispensation.
(d) He rules that head of household status overrides age requirements.
4. What is Richey going to pick up for Karl?
(a) A tractor part.
(b) A sideboard.
(c) A bag of mold resistent seeds.
(d) A new plow.
5. Why must Karl stay home?
(a) Government agents are looking for him.
(b) To plant an additional forty acres.
(c) Perilee is close to giving birth.
(d) To protect the livestock.
6. What does Perilee instead Karl do?
(a) Go to church with her in order to foster good will.
(b) Help Hattie plow.
(c) Stay away from the Council of Defense members.
(d) Not plant the other twenty acres he wanted to do.
7. Who brings news of the Spanish influenza to Hattie in October?
(a) Rooster Jim.
(c) Traft Martin.
(d) Karl Mueller.
8. What does Mr. Nefzger give Hattie?
(a) A puppy.
(b) An IOU.
(c) A pie.
(d) A credit slip.
9. With what is Hattie threatened when she voices her concern about a pledge?
(a) Her homestead approval being turned down.
(b) Her bank account being seized.
(c) Her name being published in the local newspaper.
(d) A trip in front of the judge to review her patriotism.
10. What does Traft say about why he is not serving in the military?
(a) He has a fake eye.
(b) His mother got him an appointment with the Council of Defense.
(c) He is the sole surviving son.
(d) He has a weak heart.
11. What request of Perilee's does Karl refuse?
(a) Move back to Baltimore.
(b) To stop attending Lutheran services.
(c) To meet with the Council of Defense members and try to show how good a man he is.
(d) To hire a worker.
12. What happens when Elmer steps in a prairie dog hole?
(a) He cries in frustration
(b) He breaks his ankle.
(c) He breaks his arm.
(d) He is bitten by a prairie dog.
13. What happens that makes Hattie terrified?
(b) Plug gets stuck in a prairie dog hole.
(c) A rabid wolf almost attacks Chase.
(d) Black clouds roll in.
14. What is the situation like when Hattie goes over to the Mueller house?
(a) Mattie is being difficult.
(b) Chase is very ill.
(c) Perilee is very close to delivering.
(d) Perilee is working on the quilt feverishly.
15. What happens before Karl returns?
(a) Chase dies.
(b) The baby is born.
(c) Perilee passes out.
(d) The quilt gets finished.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does not attend the Independence Day picnic?
2. Why does Hattie send Karl and Chase to her house?
3. What are shocks?
4. What game is played on Independence Day?
5. What does Hattie get to do during the game the picnic participants play?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)