|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Chase help in the threshing?
(a) Carrying water out to the fields.
(b) Bundling the shocks.
(c) He does not help.
(d) Counting the shocks by making marks on a piece of wood.
2. Who comes to help Hattie thresh?
(a) Karl and Rooster Jim.
(b) No one.
(c) Just Karl.
(d) Karl and other neighbors.
3. What does Hattie have Chase doing?
(a) Filling the chip box and fetching water.
(b) Keeping Mattie occupied outside.
(c) Wiping his mother's face down with a cool rag.
(d) Getting Mattie to sleep.
4. Why does Traft help Hattie into the house?
(a) She faints from the heat.
(b) She trips and sprains her ankle.
(c) He is a gentleman.
(d) She trips and sprains her arm.
5. Who does Leafie say she'll talk to on Elmer's behalf?
(a) Deputy Patton.
(b) Sheriff Jones.
(c) Reverend Tweed.
(d) Reverend Shatz.
6. What does Hattie suggest forgiveness is an important part of?
(a) Being at peace.
(c) Growing up.
(d) A healthy country.
7. What happens before Karl returns?
(a) Chase dies.
(b) The baby is born.
(c) The quilt gets finished.
(d) Perilee passes out.
8. What sound breaks into Hattie's thoughts as she is walking home?
(a) A coyote howl.
(c) The screech of several jays.
(d) Wolves howling.
9. What does Traft want to tell Hattie when she finds him waiting for her?
(a) He knows she cannot make her claim.
(b) He has found out who set the fires that killed Mueller's cow.
(c) His side of the story about the night of the fires.
(d) He will help her make good on her claim.
10. What does Mr. Hanson offer Hattie and Leafie?
(a) Candy and sarsaparilla.
(b) A cold beer.
(c) A cold glass of tea.
(d) A spot near the front of the viewing stand.
11. What does Rooster Jim come to tell Hattie?
(a) That Mr. Ebgard wants to meet with Hattie.
(b) That Karl has been shot.
(c) That Traft has been drafted.
(d) That Traft has filed a contest to Hattie's claim.
12. What does Hattie do at the Mueller's while waiting for Leafie?
(a) Makes up a bed for the forthcoming infant.
(b) Builds a fire in the stove.
(c) Read the Bible to Perilee for distraction.
(d) Reads up on childbirthing from the home nursing manual.
13. How does Hattie help the person being harassed?
(a) She pretends she has an appointment with him.
(b) She tells him Perilee wants him.
(c) She slaps Traft.
(d) She asks Perilee for advice.
14. What does Traft say the person he is harassing must do to demonstrate loyalty to the United States?
(a) Crawl to the flag.
(b) Stand attention for one hour in front of the flag.
(c) Carry the flag up and down the street ten times a day.
(d) Salute Traft.
15. What does Hattie see with Leafie?
(a) A homeless goat.
(b) A military tank.
(c) The new style of bicycles.
(d) The newest in automobiles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why must Karl stay home?
2. What does Hattie realize when she has been back home for a couple days?
3. What does a letter from Charlie reveal?
4. What did Hattie used to think men should do?
5. Who does Leafie and Hattie call upon one day?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)