|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What day has been declared National War Savings Day?
(a) January 1.
(b) August 12.
(c) June 28th.
(d) November 11.
2. What does Rooster Jim have when he comes towards Hattie?
(a) A new horse.
(b) A bicycle.
(c) A gun.
(d) A buggy.
3. What is Hattie told is the minimal allowable pledge?
(a) 5 dollars.
(b) 100 dollars.
(c) 10 dollars.
(d) 50 dollars.
4. Who is Charlotte?
(a) Rooster Jim's new wife.
(b) The new baby.
(c) Traft Martin's new wife.
(d) Leafie's apprentice.
5. What does Hattie realize when she has been back home for a couple days?
(a) She is upset about Rooster Jim marrying.
(b) She misses being with the Muellers.
(c) She is not going to be able to work for several days.
(d) She is ill.
6. What does a letter from Charlie reveal?
(a) The death of a comrade.
(b) That he is on his way to Montana.
(c) That his unit is returning to New York in a week.
(d) That he is in the hospital as a result of a war wound.
7. What kind of tea does Leafie mix to fight the flu?
(a) Flax tea.
(b) Green tea.
(c) Sagebrush tea.
(d) Oolong tea.
8. What does Traft make a point of mentioning to Hattie as he waters his horse?
(a) That he apologized to Mr. Ebgard.
(b) The poor harvests all around.
(c) His mother's plans for this area of Montana.
(d) His draft deferment has been vacated.
9. What does Hattie insist is hers to do when she is talking with Trask?
(a) Decide how to run the fencing.
(b) Making mistakes.
(c) Decide when to harvest.
(d) Decide what to plant.
10. What does Hattie have Chase doing?
(a) Getting Mattie to sleep.
(b) Keeping Mattie occupied outside.
(c) Filling the chip box and fetching water.
(d) Wiping his mother's face down with a cool rag.
11. What does Rooster Jim think Hattie needs?
(b) A husband.
(c) A pig.
(d) A musical instrument.
12. Who does Leafie and Hattie call upon one day?
(a) Reverend Tweed.
(b) The Mueller family.
(c) The Ren family.
(d) Traft Martin.
13. Who is Traft and others harassing?
(a) Mr. Ebgard.
(b) Perilee Mueller.
(c) Karl Mueller.
(d) Chase Mueller.
14. What does Rooster Jim come to tell Hattie?
(a) That Mr. Ebgard wants to meet with Hattie.
(b) That Karl has been shot.
(c) That Traft has been drafted.
(d) That Traft has filed a contest to Hattie's claim.
15. With what is Hattie threatened when she voices her concern about a pledge?
(a) A trip in front of the judge to review her patriotism.
(b) Her homestead approval being turned down.
(c) Her name being published in the local newspaper.
(d) Her bank account being seized.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to help Hattie thresh?
2. What news do Hattie and Leafie bring back to the Ren family?
3. What does Hattie think about in relation to Elmer's situation?
4. What gives Hattie warning that someone is approaching?
5. Who does not attend the Independence Day picnic?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)