|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Hattie and Jim discover while playing chess?
(a) They would like to play some other games, too.
(b) Neither of them actually enjoy chess that much.
(c) They are in love.
(d) The latest way in which the war will cost them.
2. What does President Wilson want on September 12?
(a) An armistice.
(b) Twenty million draftees.
(c) Thirteen million draftees.
(d) Five million draftees.
3. What does Hattie suggest forgiveness is an important part of?
(a) A healthy country.
(b) Growing up.
(c) Being at peace.
4. Why does Elmer Junior chase Deputy Patton?
(a) For pushing his pregnant mother.
(b) For arresting his father.
(c) For shooting Elmer's dog who attacks the Deputy.
(d) For beating his father.
5. Who dies in Hattie's arms?
6. What does Hattie's next installment to the newspaper describe?
(a) Getting a sow and young pigs.
(b) The first brood of chickens.
(c) Threshing flax.
(d) The Independence Day Parade.
7. Who drops his/her flag?
8. What does Rooster Jim think Hattie needs?
(b) A husband.
(c) A musical instrument.
(d) A pig.
9. Who is the "doctor" in the area?
10. What are shocks?
(a) An unrolled hay bale.
(b) Bundles of flax.
(c) Bundles of wheat.
(d) An oblong hay bale.
11. What does Traft ask Hattie concerning Charlie?
(a) If he is her brother.
(c) If she is just writing him to support the troops.
(d) If she is waiting for him.
12. What does Rooster Jim use as a trellis for his string beans?
(a) A bicycle.
(b) A few strands of barbed wire.
(c) A rusted plow.
(d) An old loom.
13. Who brings news of the Spanish influenza to Hattie in October?
(b) Traft Martin.
(c) Karl Mueller.
(d) Rooster Jim.
14. What has to be done for Charlotte?
(a) Keep her warm.
(b) Welcome her.
(c) Teach her about being a settler's wife.
(d) Let her handle the birth to learn how to do it.
15. Why does Karl come over to Hattie's home late one night?
(a) To fix her hen house when coyotes break into it.
(b) To ask her to move in with Perilee when he is drafted.
(c) Looking for Leafie.
(d) To tell Hattie the baby is coming.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hattie realize about Traft that softens her attitude towards him momentarily?
2. Why has Hattie been taking her mattress outside at night at home?
3. What does Hattie see with Leafie?
4. What does a letter from Charlie reveal?
5. What does Traft make a point of mentioning to Hattie as he waters his horse?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)