|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many rods have been planted in Hattie's absence?
2. What does Hattie insist for the person(s) who brings Plug home
(a) That she pay them with oats.
(b) That she pay them with peppermint sticks.
(c) That the person(s) spends the night to let the storm abate.
(d) That she pay them with coffee.
3. What does Mrs. Martin say is not needed in the choir?
(b) A director.
4. Who is Perilee Johnson Mueller?
(a) Hattie's mother's best friend.
(b) The next-door neighbor to Uncle Holt.
(c) A woman who lives in Montana.
(d) A woman who runs a boarding house in New England.
5. What has Hattie's uncle Holt been doing with her letters?
(a) Passing them on to the local newspaper.
(b) Giving them to Charlie to read.
(c) Sending them on to Hattie's grandmother in Europe.
(d) Sending them on to Hattie's great-aunt in Maine.
6. What is the date at the opening of the novel?
7. Whose cow is it that arrives?
(a) Rooster Jim.
(b) No one.
(d) Perilee and Karl.
8. Who meets Hattie at the door to the dance?
(a) Rooster Jim.
9. For what newspaper does Hattie write articles about her life in Montana?
(a) Montana Liberty.
(b) Vida Life.
(c) Arlington News.
(d) Montana Monthly News.
10. What does Hattie find when she rides over to the Mueller homestead?
(a) Mattie is missing.
(b) Their cow has been shot.
(c) Perilee is very ill.
(d) The barn is on fire.
11. Who is Violet?
(a) Hattie's mother.
(b) The cow on the ranch in Montana.
(c) Aunt Ivy's sister.
(d) The owner of a tavern in Uncle Holt's town.
12. When does Perilee say they will arrive at Hattie's new home?
(a) In about an hour.
(b) Several hours.
(c) Three days travel.
(d) By suppertime the next day.
13. What is Rooster Jim's real name?
(a) James Rooster.
(b) Jim Chicken.
(c) Jim Fowler.
(d) Jim Half Crow.
14. Why does Hattie ask Traft to dance?
(a) She likes him.
(b) To defuse a tense situation.
(c) To ask him a personal question.
(d) To get him away from the Muellers.
15. What is Aunt Ivy's perspective on Hattie's staying with them?
(a) She sees Hattie as an inconvenience.
(b) Aunt Ivy dies shortly after Hattie arrived.
(c) She loves having Hattie there.
(d) She was reluctant at first but now is very happy about Hattie living with them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hattie realize Mattie has forgotten?
2. With what does Mrs. Martin threaten Hattie?
3. What is one of Hattie's daily challenges?
4. How far is Hattie's homestead from Vida?
5. What does Hattie find when she arrives home?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)