|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rooster Jim offer to do as he is riding by one day?
(a) Show her how to set a fence post.
(b) Mail Hattie's letters.
(c) Fix the barn roof.
(d) Show her the boundaries of her property.
2. Why does Hattie ask Traft to dance?
(a) She likes him.
(b) To defuse a tense situation.
(c) To get him away from the Muellers.
(d) To ask him a personal question.
3. Who does Hattie recommend for the church choir?
(a) Mattie Mueller.
(b) Karl Mueller.
(c) Perilee Mueller.
(d) Jody Mueller.
4. What has Hattie's uncle Holt been doing with her letters?
(a) Sending them on to Hattie's great-aunt in Maine.
(b) Passing them on to the local newspaper.
(c) Giving them to Charlie to read.
(d) Sending them on to Hattie's grandmother in Europe.
5. What does Perilee leave with Hattie before they go on to their own place?
(a) Advice, stew and strudel.
(b) Advice and some dried vegetables.
(c) Advice and dried meat.
(d) A dog.
6. What is the new visitor's attitude towards Hattie?
7. What happens to Violet's tail?
(a) It gets caught on the barbed wire.
(b) It gets caught in the stall door.
(d) A wolf bites off part of it.
8. Who picks up Hattie for the dance?
(a) Traft Martin.
(b) Karl and Perilee Mueller.
(c) No one; she goes alone.
(d) Rooster Jim.
9. Whose cow is it that arrives?
(b) No one.
(c) Rooster Jim.
(d) Perilee and Karl.
10. What does Hattie realize Mattie has forgotten?
(a) Her jacks.
(b) Her kitten figurine.
(c) Her comb.
(d) Her doll.
11. What does Hattie discuss with Mr. Ebgard?
(a) Proving her claim.
(b) Finding a hired hand.
(c) Provisions she will need.
(d) Her mother's visit before she died.
12. What does Hattie take to the Mueller's?
(b) Some garden tools.
(d) Ten dollars.
13. How many rods have been planted in Hattie's absence?
14. What does Hattie tie to the ring on the metal eye on the cabin?
(a) A dead snake.
(b) A lantern.
(c) A rope.
(d) A flag.
15. What does Rooster Jim suggest to Hattie?
(a) That Plug might appreciate an umbrella, too.
(b) That she get herself a wide-brimmed hat.
(c) That she plow in straight lines.
(d) That Violet will stop giving milk if she is made to work plowing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hattie's problem at the water pump?
2. Why is Hattie still unable to plant?
3. Who comes from the barn as Hattie returns from the fields?
4. Who brought extra knitting needles for Hattie to use?
5. What does Hattie find when she arrives home?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)