|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Traft Martin help Hattie?
(a) Stapling wire to fence posts.
(b) Running the plow.
(c) Picking rocks out of the field.
(d) Drawing water for the garden.
2. Who does Hattie write to tell of her move to Montana?
(b) Her elderly great aunt.
(c) No one.
(d) A good friend from the last place she lived.
3. What does Hattie write for her article in Honyocker's Homily?
(a) A homily about patchwork quilts.
(b) That Plug has several different jobs.
(c) That she is able to plant seeds.
(d) That the Patriotic league is sponsering the Mueller family.
4. What does Mr. Saboe announce at dinner?
(a) The Muellers will no longer be welcome in Vida.
(b) Traft is leaving the area.
(c) The homesteading act has been revised.
(d) It is time to buy liberty bonds.
5. How far is Hattie's homestead from Vida?
(a) Thirteen miles.
(b) Six miles.
(c) Three miles.
(d) About one mile.
6. What month is coming up shortly?
7. What does Hattie insist for the person(s) who brings Plug home
(a) That she pay them with oats.
(b) That she pay them with coffee.
(c) That she pay them with peppermint sticks.
(d) That the person(s) spends the night to let the storm abate.
8. Who gives Hattie Mr. Whiskers?
(a) Uncle Holt.
(b) Hattie found the cat herself.
(c) Charlie Hawley.
(d) Mrs. Mueller.
9. What do Perilee and the children do with Hattie on Sunday?
(a) Go to church.
(b) Have a picnic.
(c) Paint pictures.
(d) Gather mushrooms.
10. Who comes from the barn as Hattie returns from the fields?
(b) Rooster Jim.
(c) Leafie Purvis.
11. What does Mrs. Martin say is not needed in the choir?
(c) A director.
12. What does Hattie realize Mattie has forgotten?
(a) Her kitten figurine.
(b) Her doll.
(c) Her comb.
(d) Her jacks.
13. When does Hattie's uncle Holt take her into his home?
(a) When Hattie is 13.
(b) When Hattie first becomes an orphan.
(c) When Hattie is 2.
(d) When Hattie is 7.
14. What will cost the Mueller family considerably?
(a) The loss of both horses.
(b) The loss of one of the horses.
(c) The loss of the cow and calf.
(d) Buying protection.
15. When does Perilee say they will arrive at Hattie's new home?
(a) Several hours.
(b) Three days travel.
(c) In about an hour.
(d) By suppertime the next day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hattie ask Traft to dance?
2. What is Hattie's newest challenge?
3. What does Perilee say she is too busy to do?
4. What does Hattie spend hours studying over?
5. What has Hattie's uncle Holt been doing with her letters?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)