|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hattie find when she arrives home?
(a) A hay bale is smoldering.
(b) A note from her best friend back in Virginia.
(c) Her cow is ill.
(d) Another note from an unknown person.
2. What does the note on Hattie's table say when she returns home?
(a) It suggests she join the Montana Loyalty League.
(b) It is a note from Perilee asking for Hattie's help.
(c) It says she had best move back East where she belongs.
(d) It is an invitation to a dance.
3. What does Hattie suggest they do for the new Mueller baby on the way?
(a) Write down the story of the Mueller's life.
(b) Build another room on the Mueller's cabin.
(c) Buy a liberty bond for the baby.
(d) Start a quilt.
4. What does Traft Martin ask Hattie?
(a) To keep his younger sister for a while.
(b) To go with him to a dance.
(c) To marry him.
(d) To keep his younger brother for a while.
5. With what does Mrs. Martin threaten Hattie?
(b) The Council of Defense.
(d) No more invitations to the knitting circle.
6. Whose cow is it that arrives?
(a) No one.
(b) Rooster Jim.
(d) Perilee and Karl.
7. What is Hattie's problem at the water pump?
(a) The water only trickles out.
(b) The pump handle is rusted and won't pump.
(c) Her hand sticks to the handle.
(d) She is not strong enough to pump the water up.
8. What does Rooster Jim offer to do as he is riding by one day?
(a) Fix the barn roof.
(b) Mail Hattie's letters.
(c) Show her the boundaries of her property.
(d) Show her how to set a fence post.
9. How far is Hattie's homestead from Vida?
(a) About one mile.
(b) Thirteen miles.
(c) Six miles.
(d) Three miles.
10. What does Hattie do when she notices the situation with the Mueller children?
(a) Kills the rattler.
(b) Hoists the children up into a tree.
(c) Takes off her petticoat, and waves it to stop the animals.
(d) Pushes the children into the creek.
11. Of what does Perilee remind Hattie at the grocery store?
(a) To buy feed for Plug and Violet.
(b) To run a tab with the grocer.
(c) To buy some warm wool to knit a stocking cap and gloves.
(d) To wait to buy perishables until right before they leave.
12. Why does Leafie do when she observes who is with the cow?
(c) Becomes obviously happy.
(d) Fires her rifle in the air.
13. How old does Hattie feel she'll be before she is finished plowing?
14. When does Perilee say they will arrive at Hattie's new home?
(a) By suppertime the next day.
(b) Several hours.
(c) In about an hour.
(d) Three days travel.
15. What is Hattie's uncle Holt's actual relationship to Hattie?
(a) A close friend of Hattie's grandmother.
(b) A distant cousin.
(c) A first cousin.
(d) A close friend of Hattie's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What amuses Rooster Jim as he rides by as Hattie is plowing?
2. What does Perilee accept from Hattie?
3. What are the Mueller children sent out to gather?
4. How is Mr. Whiskers fed?
5. What is the new visitor's attitude towards Hattie?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)