|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hattie write for her article in Honyocker's Homily?
(a) That the Patriotic league is sponsering the Mueller family.
(b) A homily about patchwork quilts.
(c) That she is able to plant seeds.
(d) That Plug has several different jobs.
2. What does Hattie insist for the person(s) who brings Plug home
(a) That she pay them with peppermint sticks.
(b) That she pay them with coffee.
(c) That the person(s) spends the night to let the storm abate.
(d) That she pay them with oats.
3. With what does Mrs. Martin threaten Hattie?
(c) No more invitations to the knitting circle.
(d) The Council of Defense.
4. How does Hattie write about her life in the letters she writes?
(b) With little emotion.
(c) With angst.
5. What does Mrs. Martin say is not needed in the choir?
(a) A director.
6. What does Hattie find when she arrives home?
(a) A note from her best friend back in Virginia.
(b) Her cow is ill.
(c) A hay bale is smoldering.
(d) Another note from an unknown person.
7. How many children do Perilee and Karl bring when they pick up Hattie?
8. What is Aunt Ivy's perspective on Hattie's staying with them?
(a) She was reluctant at first but now is very happy about Hattie living with them.
(b) She sees Hattie as an inconvenience.
(c) She loves having Hattie there.
(d) Aunt Ivy dies shortly after Hattie arrived.
9. Who is Violet?
(a) The cow on the ranch in Montana.
(b) Aunt Ivy's sister.
(c) The owner of a tavern in Uncle Holt's town.
(d) Hattie's mother.
10. What are the Mueller children sent out to gather?
(c) Wild flowers.
11. What will cost the Mueller family considerably?
(a) The loss of the cow and calf.
(b) The loss of both horses.
(c) The loss of one of the horses.
(d) Buying protection.
12. What month is coming up shortly?
13. How far is Hattie's homestead from Vida?
(a) About one mile.
(b) Three miles.
(c) Thirteen miles.
(d) Six miles.
14. What does Hattie find when she rides over to the Mueller homestead?
(a) Mattie is missing.
(b) Perilee is very ill.
(c) The barn is on fire.
(d) Their cow has been shot.
15. At what does Hattie marvel?
(a) The huge Montana sky.
(b) The orneriness of Violet.
(c) The patience of Plug.
(d) Karl and Perilee's generosity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Traft offer to take Hattie?
2. What is Rooster Jim's real name?
3. How does Hattie get to Montana?
4. How old does Hattie feel she'll be before she is finished plowing?
5. Who does Hattie write to tell of her move to Montana?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)