|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What amuses Rooster Jim as he rides by as Hattie is plowing?
(a) Her plowing methods.
(b) The way she has harnessed Violet.
(c) The hat she has put on plug.
(d) Her plowing outfit.
2. Who gives Hattie Mr. Whiskers?
(a) Charlie Hawley.
(b) Hattie found the cat herself.
(c) Mrs. Mueller.
(d) Uncle Holt.
3. With what does Mrs. Martin threaten Hattie?
(a) No more invitations to the knitting circle.
(c) The Council of Defense.
4. What does Hattie see when she goes to check on the children?
(a) A wild prairie fire heading towards the children.
(b) A rattlesnake coiled near Mattie Mueller.
(c) A herd of wild horses running towards the children.
(d) Several wild boar running towards the children.
5. What does Grace tell Hattie to do?
(a) To join the choir herself.
(b) Appeal to Reverend Tweed.
(c) Be quiet.
(d) Ask her friend to come the next Sunday.
6. How does Traft Martin help Hattie?
(a) Drawing water for the garden.
(b) Picking rocks out of the field.
(c) Stapling wire to fence posts.
(d) Running the plow.
7. How does Hattie write about her life in the letters she writes?
(b) With little emotion.
(c) With angst.
8. What does Hattie give Perilee in thanks?
(a) A book of poems.
(b) A picture.
(c) A bag of coffee.
(d) A bag of sugar.
9. What does Mr. Saboe announce at dinner?
(a) The homesteading act has been revised.
(b) It is time to buy liberty bonds.
(c) Traft is leaving the area.
(d) The Muellers will no longer be welcome in Vida.
10. What are the Mueller children sent out to gather?
(c) Wild flowers.
11. What does Traft Martin ask Hattie?
(a) To keep his younger brother for a while.
(b) To go with him to a dance.
(c) To keep his younger sister for a while.
(d) To marry him.
12. How far is Hattie's homestead from Vida?
(a) About one mile.
(b) Thirteen miles.
(c) Six miles.
(d) Three miles.
13. What does Hattie find when she arrives home?
(a) A note from her best friend back in Virginia.
(b) Another note from an unknown person.
(c) A hay bale is smoldering.
(d) Her cow is ill.
14. What does Hattie realize Mattie has forgotten?
(a) Her kitten figurine.
(b) Her doll.
(c) Her jacks.
(d) Her comb.
15. What is one of Hattie's daily challenges?
(a) To finish the inside of her house.
(b) To milk the cow without injury or loss of milk.
(c) To not feel lonely.
(d) To set a couple fence posts.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Hattie give five dollars?
2. How many rods have been planted in Hattie's absence?
3. Who is Plug?
4. What does Hattie insist for the person(s) who brings Plug home
5. Who is Perilee Johnson Mueller?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)