|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what does Mrs. Martin threaten Hattie?
(a) No more invitations to the knitting circle.
(b) The Council of Defense.
2. For what newspaper does Hattie write articles about her life in Montana?
(a) Arlington News.
(b) Montana Liberty.
(c) Montana Monthly News.
(d) Vida Life.
3. Where does Hattie go after cleaning herself up and taking special care with her grooming?
(a) To Vida to apply for a loan.
(c) A dance.
(d) To visit a dead neighbor's wife.
4. What does Hattie take to the Mueller's?
(a) Ten dollars.
(c) Some garden tools.
5. How does Hattie get to Montana?
(a) Hitching rides as she can.
(b) A freight train.
(c) Horse and wagon.
(d) The Great Northern Railway.
6. What does Hattie suggest they do for the new Mueller baby on the way?
(a) Buy a liberty bond for the baby.
(b) Build another room on the Mueller's cabin.
(c) Write down the story of the Mueller's life.
(d) Start a quilt.
7. Who arrives the next morning at Hattie's house?
(a) Perilee's oldest son.
(b) Rooster Jim.
8. What is one of Hattie's daily challenges?
(a) To finish the inside of her house.
(b) To set a couple fence posts.
(c) To not feel lonely.
(d) To milk the cow without injury or loss of milk.
9. What is Hattie's uncle Holt's actual relationship to Hattie?
(a) A close friend of Hattie's grandmother.
(b) A first cousin.
(c) A distant cousin.
(d) A close friend of Hattie's father.
10. How does Traft Martin help Hattie?
(a) Picking rocks out of the field.
(b) Running the plow.
(c) Stapling wire to fence posts.
(d) Drawing water for the garden.
11. Who is Chester?
(a) The postmaster who is a good friend of Uncle Holt.
(b) Hattie's father's brother.
(c) Hattie's uncle in Montana.
(d) The mayor who is a good friend of Uncle Holt.
12. What month is coming up shortly?
13. Who comes from the barn as Hattie returns from the fields?
(b) Rooster Jim.
(d) Leafie Purvis.
14. What does Hattie see when she goes to check on the children?
(a) A rattlesnake coiled near Mattie Mueller.
(b) Several wild boar running towards the children.
(c) A herd of wild horses running towards the children.
(d) A wild prairie fire heading towards the children.
15. Who picks up Hattie for the dance?
(a) No one; she goes alone.
(b) Karl and Perilee Mueller.
(c) Traft Martin.
(d) Rooster Jim.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings Plug home?
2. How far is Hattie's homestead from Vida?
3. What is the new visitor's attitude towards Hattie?
4. What does Taft say might be a problem in the community?
5. How does Hattie write about her life in the letters she writes?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)