|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Hattie's uncle Holt been doing with her letters?
(a) Passing them on to the local newspaper.
(b) Sending them on to Hattie's great-aunt in Maine.
(c) Sending them on to Hattie's grandmother in Europe.
(d) Giving them to Charlie to read.
2. What does Hattie find when she arrives home?
(a) A note from her best friend back in Virginia.
(b) Another note from an unknown person.
(c) Her cow is ill.
(d) A hay bale is smoldering.
3. Who arrives the next morning at Hattie's house?
(a) Rooster Jim.
(c) Perilee's oldest son.
4. What does Perilee say she is too busy to do?
(a) Join the Wednesday evening knitting group.
(b) Go to Vida with Hattie.
(c) Bake cookies for a church meeting.
(d) Sing in the choir.
5. What does Hattie insist for the person(s) who brings Plug home
(a) That she pay them with coffee.
(b) That the person(s) spends the night to let the storm abate.
(c) That she pay them with peppermint sticks.
(d) That she pay them with oats.
6. How many rods have been planted in Hattie's absence?
7. What is one of Hattie's daily challenges?
(a) To finish the inside of her house.
(b) To milk the cow without injury or loss of milk.
(c) To not feel lonely.
(d) To set a couple fence posts.
8. Who is Perilee Johnson Mueller?
(a) A woman who lives in Montana.
(b) The next-door neighbor to Uncle Holt.
(c) Hattie's mother's best friend.
(d) A woman who runs a boarding house in New England.
9. What does Hattie suggest they do for the new Mueller baby on the way?
(a) Write down the story of the Mueller's life.
(b) Build another room on the Mueller's cabin.
(c) Start a quilt.
(d) Buy a liberty bond for the baby.
10. How does Hattie write about her life in the letters she writes?
(a) With angst.
(c) With little emotion.
11. Whose cow is it that arrives?
(a) Perilee and Karl.
(b) Rooster Jim.
(d) No one.
12. What does Hattie see when she goes to check on the children?
(a) A wild prairie fire heading towards the children.
(b) Several wild boar running towards the children.
(c) A herd of wild horses running towards the children.
(d) A rattlesnake coiled near Mattie Mueller.
13. What is Rooster Jim's real name?
(a) Jim Chicken.
(b) James Rooster.
(c) Jim Half Crow.
(d) Jim Fowler.
14. What does Hattie tie to the ring on the metal eye on the cabin?
(a) A dead snake.
(b) A rope.
(c) A flag.
(d) A lantern.
15. Of what does Perilee remind Hattie at the grocery store?
(a) To buy feed for Plug and Violet.
(b) To buy some warm wool to knit a stocking cap and gloves.
(c) To wait to buy perishables until right before they leave.
(d) To run a tab with the grocer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Hattie when she becomes an orphan?
2. What does Hattie do when she notices the situation with the Mueller children?
3. What does Traft Martin ask Hattie?
4. Why do Chase and Mattie run past Hattie's house without stopping one day?
5. What does Rooster Jim want to continue doing with Hattie that he did with her uncle?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)