|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hattie find when she arrives home?
(a) Another note from an unknown person.
(b) A hay bale is smoldering.
(c) Her cow is ill.
(d) A note from her best friend back in Virginia.
2. What does Hattie find when she rides over to the Mueller homestead?
(a) Mattie is missing.
(b) Their cow has been shot.
(c) Perilee is very ill.
(d) The barn is on fire.
3. For what newspaper does Hattie write articles about her life in Montana?
(a) Vida Life.
(b) Montana Liberty.
(c) Montana Monthly News.
(d) Arlington News.
4. At what does Hattie marvel?
(a) The patience of Plug.
(b) The orneriness of Violet.
(c) Karl and Perilee's generosity.
(d) The huge Montana sky.
5. What is Hattie's uncle Holt's actual relationship to Hattie?
(a) A close friend of Hattie's grandmother.
(b) A distant cousin.
(c) A first cousin.
(d) A close friend of Hattie's father.
6. Why is Hattie still unable to plant?
(a) She cannot afford the seed.
(b) She is sick.
(c) The soil is too wet.
(d) She has not cleared the fields enough.
7. What does Perilee leave with Hattie before they go on to their own place?
(a) Advice and dried meat.
(b) Advice, stew and strudel.
(c) A dog.
(d) Advice and some dried vegetables.
8. How does Hattie's uncle Holt surprise Hattie?
(a) By sending Hattie fiftenn dollars.
(b) By writing that he wants to come visit.
(c) By writing that his wife has died.
(d) By writing that Charlie was back from the war.
9. What amuses Rooster Jim as he rides by as Hattie is plowing?
(a) The way she has harnessed Violet.
(b) The hat she has put on plug.
(c) Her plowing methods.
(d) Her plowing outfit.
10. What does Perilee accept from Hattie?
(a) A butter churn.
(b) A rocker.
(c) A bag of wool.
(d) A spinning wheel.
11. What is the date at the opening of the novel?
12. Why is Hattie embarrassed when Traft comes in her house?
(a) She has no biscuits to offer.
(b) She is in men's slacks.
(c) She has no coffee to offer.
(d) She has her underthings laid out to dry.
13. What is one of Hattie's daily challenges?
(a) To finish the inside of her house.
(b) To milk the cow without injury or loss of milk.
(c) To set a couple fence posts.
(d) To not feel lonely.
14. Who gives Hattie Mr. Whiskers?
(a) Uncle Holt.
(b) Mrs. Mueller.
(c) Charlie Hawley.
(d) Hattie found the cat herself.
15. When does Perilee say they will arrive at Hattie's new home?
(a) By suppertime the next day.
(b) Three days travel.
(c) Several hours.
(d) In about an hour.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hattie's newest challenge?
2. What does Traft Martin ask Hattie?
3. What does Hattie insist for the person(s) who brings Plug home
4. How does Hattie write about her life in the letters she writes?
5. What is Rooster Jim's real name?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)