|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Perilee say she is too busy to do?
(a) Go to Vida with Hattie.
(b) Bake cookies for a church meeting.
(c) Join the Wednesday evening knitting group.
(d) Sing in the choir.
2. Who does Hattie write to tell of her move to Montana?
(a) No one.
(b) A good friend from the last place she lived.
(d) Her elderly great aunt.
3. What is Hattie's uncle Holt's actual relationship to Hattie?
(a) A close friend of Hattie's father.
(b) A first cousin.
(c) A distant cousin.
(d) A close friend of Hattie's grandmother.
4. For what newspaper does Hattie write articles about her life in Montana?
(a) Montana Monthly News.
(b) Montana Liberty.
(c) Vida Life.
(d) Arlington News.
5. What do Perilee and the children do with Hattie on Sunday?
(a) Gather mushrooms.
(b) Have a picnic.
(c) Paint pictures.
(d) Go to church.
6. Why does Leafie do when she observes who is with the cow?
(b) Becomes obviously happy.
(c) Fires her rifle in the air.
7. What is the response of some of the other ladies when Hattie recommends a Mueller?
(d) Silence and icy.
8. What is one of Hattie's daily challenges?
(a) To set a couple fence posts.
(b) To not feel lonely.
(c) To finish the inside of her house.
(d) To milk the cow without injury or loss of milk.
9. What does Hattie see when she goes to check on the children?
(a) A wild prairie fire heading towards the children.
(b) A rattlesnake coiled near Mattie Mueller.
(c) A herd of wild horses running towards the children.
(d) Several wild boar running towards the children.
10. What does Rooster Jim offer to do as he is riding by one day?
(a) Mail Hattie's letters.
(b) Show her the boundaries of her property.
(c) Fix the barn roof.
(d) Show her how to set a fence post.
11. What does Hattie write for her article in Honyocker's Homily?
(a) That she is able to plant seeds.
(b) That the Patriotic league is sponsering the Mueller family.
(c) A homily about patchwork quilts.
(d) That Plug has several different jobs.
12. With what does Mrs. Martin threaten Hattie?
(a) The Council of Defense.
(b) No more invitations to the knitting circle.
13. Why is Hattie embarrassed when Traft comes in her house?
(a) She has no biscuits to offer.
(b) She has her underthings laid out to dry.
(c) She is in men's slacks.
(d) She has no coffee to offer.
14. At what does Hattie marvel?
(a) The patience of Plug.
(b) The huge Montana sky.
(c) The orneriness of Violet.
(d) Karl and Perilee's generosity.
15. What is Hattie's problem at the water pump?
(a) Her hand sticks to the handle.
(b) The water only trickles out.
(c) She is not strong enough to pump the water up.
(d) The pump handle is rusted and won't pump.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Hattie Mr. Whiskers?
2. What is the new visitor's attitude towards Hattie?
3. Who brings Plug home?
4. What happens to Violet's tail?
5. About what does Leafie warn Hattie?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)