|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hattie's uncle Holt surprise Hattie?
(a) By writing that he wants to come visit.
(b) By sending Hattie fiftenn dollars.
(c) By writing that his wife has died.
(d) By writing that Charlie was back from the war.
2. Who does Hattie write to tell of her move to Montana?
(b) No one.
(c) A good friend from the last place she lived.
(d) Her elderly great aunt.
3. What does Hattie find when she rides over to the Mueller homestead?
(a) Their cow has been shot.
(b) The barn is on fire.
(c) Mattie is missing.
(d) Perilee is very ill.
4. What does Hattie realize Mattie has forgotten?
(a) Her kitten figurine.
(b) Her jacks.
(c) Her doll.
(d) Her comb.
5. What is Hattie's uncle Holt's actual relationship to Hattie?
(a) A first cousin.
(b) A close friend of Hattie's grandmother.
(c) A distant cousin.
(d) A close friend of Hattie's father.
6. Who does Hattie recommend for the church choir?
(a) Karl Mueller.
(b) Mattie Mueller.
(c) Perilee Mueller.
(d) Jody Mueller.
7. What does Hattie take to the Mueller's?
(c) Ten dollars.
(d) Some garden tools.
8. What happens to Violet's tail?
(a) It gets caught on the barbed wire.
(b) A wolf bites off part of it.
(d) It gets caught in the stall door.
9. Of what does Perilee remind Hattie at the grocery store?
(a) To run a tab with the grocer.
(b) To wait to buy perishables until right before they leave.
(c) To buy some warm wool to knit a stocking cap and gloves.
(d) To buy feed for Plug and Violet.
10. About what does Leafie warn Hattie?
(a) That there is an ongoing investigation about her age as a homesteader.
(b) That there is a group who is going to burn Mueller's home.
(c) That there is a group who want to have the Mueller's homesteading claim denied.
(d) That Traft is in trouble.
11. What are the Mueller children sent out to gather?
(a) Wild flowers.
12. What does Hattie insist for the person(s) who brings Plug home
(a) That she pay them with peppermint sticks.
(b) That the person(s) spends the night to let the storm abate.
(c) That she pay them with oats.
(d) That she pay them with coffee.
13. Who is Chester?
(a) The mayor who is a good friend of Uncle Holt.
(b) Hattie's uncle in Montana.
(c) The postmaster who is a good friend of Uncle Holt.
(d) Hattie's father's brother.
14. What is the date at the opening of the novel?
15. How does Hattie write about her life in the letters she writes?
(a) With angst.
(d) With little emotion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Hattie Mr. Whiskers?
2. What does Hattie discuss with Mr. Ebgard?
3. Who arrives the next morning at Hattie's house?
4. What does Hattie write for her article in Honyocker's Homily?
5. What does Hattie find when she arrives home?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)