|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Traft Martin help Hattie?
(a) Stapling wire to fence posts.
(b) Drawing water for the garden.
(c) Running the plow.
(d) Picking rocks out of the field.
2. What does Hattie take to the Mueller's?
(a) Some garden tools.
(c) Ten dollars.
3. What is Hattie's problem at the water pump?
(a) The water only trickles out.
(b) The pump handle is rusted and won't pump.
(c) She is not strong enough to pump the water up.
(d) Her hand sticks to the handle.
4. What has Hattie's uncle Holt been doing with her letters?
(a) Giving them to Charlie to read.
(b) Sending them on to Hattie's great-aunt in Maine.
(c) Passing them on to the local newspaper.
(d) Sending them on to Hattie's grandmother in Europe.
5. Why do Chase and Mattie run past Hattie's house without stopping one day?
(a) They have to get ten rods of fencing in that day.
(b) They are being chased by other boys.
(c) They are in a hurry because Perilee is giving birth.
(d) They have good news for their parents.
6. Who is Perilee Johnson Mueller?
(a) A woman who runs a boarding house in New England.
(b) Hattie's mother's best friend.
(c) A woman who lives in Montana.
(d) The next-door neighbor to Uncle Holt.
7. What does Hattie tie to the ring on the metal eye on the cabin?
(a) A lantern.
(b) A dead snake.
(c) A rope.
(d) A flag.
8. Why is Hattie still unable to plant?
(a) She is sick.
(b) The soil is too wet.
(c) She has not cleared the fields enough.
(d) She cannot afford the seed.
9. When does Perilee say they will arrive at Hattie's new home?
(a) Several hours.
(b) By suppertime the next day.
(c) In about an hour.
(d) Three days travel.
10. For what does Hattie give five dollars?
(a) A down payment on an ox.
(b) A down payment on a plow.
(c) A down payment on a bag of seed.
(d) A down payment on a liberty bond.
11. What does Rooster Jim suggest to Hattie?
(a) That Plug might appreciate an umbrella, too.
(b) That she plow in straight lines.
(c) That she get herself a wide-brimmed hat.
(d) That Violet will stop giving milk if she is made to work plowing.
12. What does Grace tell Hattie to do?
(a) To join the choir herself.
(b) Appeal to Reverend Tweed.
(c) Be quiet.
(d) Ask her friend to come the next Sunday.
13. What does Mrs. Martin say is not needed in the choir?
(c) A director.
14. Where does Hattie wait for a ride to her new home in Montana?
(a) Wolf Point.
(b) At the side of the railroad tracks with nothing around.
(d) Point Lobos.
15. What are the Mueller children sent out to gather?
(b) Wild flowers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What amuses Rooster Jim as he rides by as Hattie is plowing?
2. Who picks up Hattie for the dance?
3. What do Perilee and the children do with Hattie on Sunday?
4. Why does Leafie do when she observes who is with the cow?
5. What is Aunt Ivy's perspective on Hattie's staying with them?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)