|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will cost the Mueller family considerably?
(a) The loss of one of the horses.
(b) Buying protection.
(c) The loss of the cow and calf.
(d) The loss of both horses.
2. What is the date at the opening of the novel?
3. What happens to Violet's tail?
(b) It gets caught in the stall door.
(c) A wolf bites off part of it.
(d) It gets caught on the barbed wire.
4. What is Hattie's uncle Holt's actual relationship to Hattie?
(a) A close friend of Hattie's father.
(b) A first cousin.
(c) A distant cousin.
(d) A close friend of Hattie's grandmother.
5. What does Rooster Jim want to continue doing with Hattie that he did with her uncle?
(a) Playing checkers.
(c) Playing chess.
(d) Reading classics.
6. What does Hattie suggest they do for the new Mueller baby on the way?
(a) Start a quilt.
(b) Buy a liberty bond for the baby.
(c) Write down the story of the Mueller's life.
(d) Build another room on the Mueller's cabin.
7. Why does Leafie do when she observes who is with the cow?
(b) Becomes obviously happy.
(d) Fires her rifle in the air.
8. Why is Hattie still unable to plant?
(a) She cannot afford the seed.
(b) She has not cleared the fields enough.
(c) She is sick.
(d) The soil is too wet.
9. Why do Chase and Mattie run past Hattie's house without stopping one day?
(a) They have good news for their parents.
(b) They are in a hurry because Perilee is giving birth.
(c) They are being chased by other boys.
(d) They have to get ten rods of fencing in that day.
10. How old does Hattie feel she'll be before she is finished plowing?
11. What is Aunt Ivy's perspective on Hattie's staying with them?
(a) She was reluctant at first but now is very happy about Hattie living with them.
(b) Aunt Ivy dies shortly after Hattie arrived.
(c) She loves having Hattie there.
(d) She sees Hattie as an inconvenience.
12. Whose cow is it that arrives?
(b) Rooster Jim.
(c) Perilee and Karl.
(d) No one.
13. Who brings Plug home?
(a) Rooster Jim.
(d) Two of Perilee's children.
14. With what does Mrs. Martin threaten Hattie?
(a) The Council of Defense.
(d) No more invitations to the knitting circle.
15. How many rods have been planted in Hattie's absence?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hattie find when she rides over to the Mueller homestead?
2. How many children do Perilee and Karl bring when they pick up Hattie?
3. When does Hattie's uncle Holt take her into his home?
4. What does Hattie write for her article in Honyocker's Homily?
5. What does Rooster Jim offer to do as he is riding by one day?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)