|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Hattie recommend for the church choir?
(a) Mattie Mueller.
(b) Karl Mueller.
(c) Jody Mueller.
(d) Perilee Mueller.
2. What does Perilee accept from Hattie?
(a) A spinning wheel.
(b) A rocker.
(c) A bag of wool.
(d) A butter churn.
3. What does Hattie realize Mattie has forgotten?
(a) Her comb.
(b) Her doll.
(c) Her jacks.
(d) Her kitten figurine.
4. Why is Hattie embarrassed when Traft comes in her house?
(a) She has no biscuits to offer.
(b) She is in men's slacks.
(c) She has her underthings laid out to dry.
(d) She has no coffee to offer.
5. What do Perilee and the children do with Hattie on Sunday?
(a) Gather mushrooms.
(b) Go to church.
(c) Paint pictures.
(d) Have a picnic.
6. What does Rooster Jim suggest to Hattie?
(a) That she plow in straight lines.
(b) That she get herself a wide-brimmed hat.
(c) That Violet will stop giving milk if she is made to work plowing.
(d) That Plug might appreciate an umbrella, too.
7. How does Hattie's uncle Holt surprise Hattie?
(a) By writing that Charlie was back from the war.
(b) By writing that he wants to come visit.
(c) By writing that his wife has died.
(d) By sending Hattie fiftenn dollars.
8. How is Mr. Whiskers fed?
(a) He eats some of the stew.
(b) He just has some cow's milk.
(c) He catches a mouse.
(d) He catches a snake.
9. How old is Hattie when she becomes an orphan?
10. Who meets Hattie at the door to the dance?
(b) Rooster Jim.
11. What does Hattie write for her article in Honyocker's Homily?
(a) That Plug has several different jobs.
(b) A homily about patchwork quilts.
(c) That the Patriotic league is sponsering the Mueller family.
(d) That she is able to plant seeds.
12. What does Taft say might be a problem in the community?
(a) Hattie not attending the Loyalty League meetings.
(b) Hattie not attending church.
(c) Hattie's friendship with the Muellers.
(d) Hattie hiring a recent immigrant from Germany.
13. What does Hattie discuss with Mr. Ebgard?
(a) Her mother's visit before she died.
(b) Provisions she will need.
(c) Proving her claim.
(d) Finding a hired hand.
14. What does Rooster Jim want to continue doing with Hattie that he did with her uncle?
(b) Playing chess.
(c) Playing checkers.
(d) Reading classics.
15. When does Perilee say they will arrive at Hattie's new home?
(a) Three days travel.
(b) By suppertime the next day.
(c) In about an hour.
(d) Several hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hattie ask Traft to dance?
2. Why is Hattie still unable to plant?
3. What amuses Rooster Jim as he rides by as Hattie is plowing?
4. What is the response of some of the other ladies when Hattie recommends a Mueller?
5. What does Hattie spend hours studying over?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)