|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rooster Jim suggest to Hattie?
(a) That she plow in straight lines.
(b) That Plug might appreciate an umbrella, too.
(c) That Violet will stop giving milk if she is made to work plowing.
(d) That she get herself a wide-brimmed hat.
2. Whose cow is it that arrives?
(b) Rooster Jim.
(c) No one.
(d) Perilee and Karl.
3. How does Hattie describe Plug?
4. How old does Hattie feel she'll be before she is finished plowing?
5. Who meets Hattie at the door to the dance?
(c) Rooster Jim.
6. What does Hattie spend hours studying over?
(a) Chess rules.
(b) Seed catalogs.
(c) The farmer's almanac.
(d) The Bible.
7. What does Hattie realize Mattie has forgotten?
(a) Her comb.
(b) Her doll.
(c) Her kitten figurine.
(d) Her jacks.
8. What is one of Hattie's daily challenges?
(a) To finish the inside of her house.
(b) To not feel lonely.
(c) To set a couple fence posts.
(d) To milk the cow without injury or loss of milk.
9. Who is Chester?
(a) Hattie's father's brother.
(b) The mayor who is a good friend of Uncle Holt.
(c) The postmaster who is a good friend of Uncle Holt.
(d) Hattie's uncle in Montana.
10. What is Hattie's problem at the water pump?
(a) Her hand sticks to the handle.
(b) The water only trickles out.
(c) She is not strong enough to pump the water up.
(d) The pump handle is rusted and won't pump.
11. With what does Mrs. Martin threaten Hattie?
(a) No more invitations to the knitting circle.
(d) The Council of Defense.
12. What does Hattie see when she goes to check on the children?
(a) A rattlesnake coiled near Mattie Mueller.
(b) A wild prairie fire heading towards the children.
(c) A herd of wild horses running towards the children.
(d) Several wild boar running towards the children.
13. Who is Plug?
(a) The horse on Hattie's uncle's ranch in Montana.
(b) The tom cat that always fights with Mr. Whiskers.
(c) A young boy who Hattie babysits occasionally.
(d) A dog who lives next door to Hattie.
14. Why does Leafie do when she observes who is with the cow?
(a) Becomes obviously happy.
(d) Fires her rifle in the air.
15. What does the note on Hattie's table say when she returns home?
(a) It is a note from Perilee asking for Hattie's help.
(b) It suggests she join the Montana Loyalty League.
(c) It is an invitation to a dance.
(d) It says she had best move back East where she belongs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Aunt Ivy's perspective on Hattie's staying with them?
2. What is Hattie's uncle Holt's actual relationship to Hattie?
3. What does Perilee leave with Hattie before they go on to their own place?
4. What does Mr. Saboe announce at dinner?
5. What happens to Violet's tail?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)