|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hattie find when she rides over to the Mueller homestead?
(a) Mattie is missing.
(b) The barn is on fire.
(c) Their cow has been shot.
(d) Perilee is very ill.
2. What is Aunt Ivy's perspective on Hattie's staying with them?
(a) She sees Hattie as an inconvenience.
(b) She loves having Hattie there.
(c) She was reluctant at first but now is very happy about Hattie living with them.
(d) Aunt Ivy dies shortly after Hattie arrived.
3. How many children do Perilee and Karl bring when they pick up Hattie?
4. How does Hattie describe Plug?
5. What does Hattie write for her article in Honyocker's Homily?
(a) That she is able to plant seeds.
(b) That the Patriotic league is sponsering the Mueller family.
(c) That Plug has several different jobs.
(d) A homily about patchwork quilts.
6. Who is Chester?
(a) Hattie's father's brother.
(b) The mayor who is a good friend of Uncle Holt.
(c) Hattie's uncle in Montana.
(d) The postmaster who is a good friend of Uncle Holt.
7. Of what does Perilee remind Hattie at the grocery store?
(a) To wait to buy perishables until right before they leave.
(b) To run a tab with the grocer.
(c) To buy some warm wool to knit a stocking cap and gloves.
(d) To buy feed for Plug and Violet.
8. What will cost the Mueller family considerably?
(a) The loss of one of the horses.
(b) Buying protection.
(c) The loss of both horses.
(d) The loss of the cow and calf.
9. What does Hattie do when she notices the situation with the Mueller children?
(a) Hoists the children up into a tree.
(b) Takes off her petticoat, and waves it to stop the animals.
(c) Kills the rattler.
(d) Pushes the children into the creek.
10. Why is Hattie still unable to plant?
(a) She has not cleared the fields enough.
(b) The soil is too wet.
(c) She cannot afford the seed.
(d) She is sick.
11. Who brings Plug home?
(c) Two of Perilee's children.
(d) Rooster Jim.
12. What is Hattie's newest challenge?
(a) Keeping the coyotes away from the chickens.
(b) Finding a bull to breed with Violet.
(c) Keeping the garden from being overrun with jack rabbits.
(d) Fence building.
13. What does Mrs. Martin say is not needed in the choir?
(d) A director.
14. How does Hattie's uncle Holt surprise Hattie?
(a) By sending Hattie fiftenn dollars.
(b) By writing that he wants to come visit.
(c) By writing that his wife has died.
(d) By writing that Charlie was back from the war.
15. Who arrives the next morning at Hattie's house?
(a) Perilee's oldest son.
(d) Rooster Jim.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the date at the opening of the novel?
2. How many rods have been planted in Hattie's absence?
3. What does Hattie realize Mattie has forgotten?
4. Who is Perilee Johnson Mueller?
5. How is Mr. Whiskers fed?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)