|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Chester?
(a) Hattie's father's brother.
(b) Hattie's uncle in Montana.
(c) The mayor who is a good friend of Uncle Holt.
(d) The postmaster who is a good friend of Uncle Holt.
2. What is Aunt Ivy's perspective on Hattie's staying with them?
(a) She loves having Hattie there.
(b) She was reluctant at first but now is very happy about Hattie living with them.
(c) Aunt Ivy dies shortly after Hattie arrived.
(d) She sees Hattie as an inconvenience.
3. Why does Hattie ask Traft to dance?
(a) To ask him a personal question.
(b) She likes him.
(c) To get him away from the Muellers.
(d) To defuse a tense situation.
4. Why does Hattie go over to talk to Perilee?
(a) Tell her she shot an elk and is willing to share.
(b) Ask her to let her oldest come stay with Hattie.
(c) Ask her advice.
(d) Tell her about the bear.
5. How far is Hattie's homestead from Vida?
(a) Thirteen miles.
(b) Three miles.
(c) Six miles.
(d) About one mile.
6. Why is Hattie still unable to plant?
(a) She has not cleared the fields enough.
(b) She is sick.
(c) She cannot afford the seed.
(d) The soil is too wet.
7. Where does Hattie go after cleaning herself up and taking special care with her grooming?
(b) To Vida to apply for a loan.
(c) A dance.
(d) To visit a dead neighbor's wife.
8. What does Hattie do when she notices the situation with the Mueller children?
(a) Hoists the children up into a tree.
(b) Pushes the children into the creek.
(c) Kills the rattler.
(d) Takes off her petticoat, and waves it to stop the animals.
9. What does Hattie find when she rides over to the Mueller homestead?
(a) Their cow has been shot.
(b) Mattie is missing.
(c) The barn is on fire.
(d) Perilee is very ill.
10. What does Taft say might be a problem in the community?
(a) Hattie hiring a recent immigrant from Germany.
(b) Hattie not attending the Loyalty League meetings.
(c) Hattie's friendship with the Muellers.
(d) Hattie not attending church.
11. What is the new visitor's attitude towards Hattie?
12. Who arrives the next morning at Hattie's house?
(a) Rooster Jim.
(b) Perilee's oldest son.
13. What does the note on Hattie's table say when she returns home?
(a) It says she had best move back East where she belongs.
(b) It is an invitation to a dance.
(c) It is a note from Perilee asking for Hattie's help.
(d) It suggests she join the Montana Loyalty League.
14. Whose cow is it that arrives?
(b) No one.
(c) Rooster Jim.
(d) Perilee and Karl.
15. What is the date at the opening of the novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes from the barn as Hattie returns from the fields?
2. How is Mr. Whiskers fed?
3. What does Hattie suggest they do for the new Mueller baby on the way?
4. What does Hattie spend hours studying over?
5. How does Hattie write about her life in the letters she writes?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)