|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far is Hattie's homestead from Vida?
(a) Six miles.
(b) About one mile.
(c) Three miles.
(d) Thirteen miles.
2. What does Hattie insist for the person(s) who brings Plug home
(a) That the person(s) spends the night to let the storm abate.
(b) That she pay them with coffee.
(c) That she pay them with peppermint sticks.
(d) That she pay them with oats.
3. How does Traft Martin help Hattie?
(a) Stapling wire to fence posts.
(b) Picking rocks out of the field.
(c) Drawing water for the garden.
(d) Running the plow.
4. What does Mr. Saboe announce at dinner?
(a) The homesteading act has been revised.
(b) It is time to buy liberty bonds.
(c) Traft is leaving the area.
(d) The Muellers will no longer be welcome in Vida.
5. What is Hattie's newest challenge?
(a) Keeping the coyotes away from the chickens.
(b) Keeping the garden from being overrun with jack rabbits.
(c) Fence building.
(d) Finding a bull to breed with Violet.
6. What does Hattie see when she goes to check on the children?
(a) A rattlesnake coiled near Mattie Mueller.
(b) A herd of wild horses running towards the children.
(c) A wild prairie fire heading towards the children.
(d) Several wild boar running towards the children.
7. What does Hattie give Perilee in thanks?
(a) A book of poems.
(b) A picture.
(c) A bag of coffee.
(d) A bag of sugar.
8. What does Hattie tie to the ring on the metal eye on the cabin?
(a) A flag.
(b) A rope.
(c) A dead snake.
(d) A lantern.
9. Where does Hattie go after cleaning herself up and taking special care with her grooming?
(a) To visit a dead neighbor's wife.
(b) To Vida to apply for a loan.
(d) A dance.
10. What does Hattie write for her article in Honyocker's Homily?
(a) A homily about patchwork quilts.
(b) That Plug has several different jobs.
(c) That the Patriotic league is sponsering the Mueller family.
(d) That she is able to plant seeds.
11. At what does Hattie marvel?
(a) The orneriness of Violet.
(b) The huge Montana sky.
(c) The patience of Plug.
(d) Karl and Perilee's generosity.
12. What does Hattie spend hours studying over?
(a) Chess rules.
(b) The farmer's almanac.
(c) The Bible.
(d) Seed catalogs.
13. How does Hattie's uncle Holt surprise Hattie?
(a) By writing that his wife has died.
(b) By sending Hattie fiftenn dollars.
(c) By writing that Charlie was back from the war.
(d) By writing that he wants to come visit.
14. What are the Mueller children sent out to gather?
(b) Wild flowers.
15. What does Hattie find when she rides over to the Mueller homestead?
(a) The barn is on fire.
(b) Perilee is very ill.
(c) Their cow has been shot.
(d) Mattie is missing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the note on Hattie's table say when she returns home?
2. How old is Hattie when she becomes an orphan?
3. Why is Hattie embarrassed when Traft comes in her house?
4. What amuses Rooster Jim as he rides by as Hattie is plowing?
5. How many rods have been planted in Hattie's absence?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)