|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hattie suggest they do for the new Mueller baby on the way?
(a) Buy a liberty bond for the baby.
(b) Build another room on the Mueller's cabin.
(c) Start a quilt.
(d) Write down the story of the Mueller's life.
2. How does Hattie's uncle Holt surprise Hattie?
(a) By writing that his wife has died.
(b) By writing that he wants to come visit.
(c) By writing that Charlie was back from the war.
(d) By sending Hattie fiftenn dollars.
3. How is Mr. Whiskers fed?
(a) He just has some cow's milk.
(b) He eats some of the stew.
(c) He catches a mouse.
(d) He catches a snake.
4. What does Hattie tie to the ring on the metal eye on the cabin?
(a) A flag.
(b) A dead snake.
(c) A lantern.
(d) A rope.
5. What does Hattie take to the Mueller's?
(a) Some garden tools.
(c) Ten dollars.
6. Where does Hattie wait for a ride to her new home in Montana?
(b) Point Lobos.
(c) At the side of the railroad tracks with nothing around.
(d) Wolf Point.
7. How many children do Perilee and Karl bring when they pick up Hattie?
8. What is the date at the opening of the novel?
9. Who is Perilee Johnson Mueller?
(a) A woman who runs a boarding house in New England.
(b) The next-door neighbor to Uncle Holt.
(c) A woman who lives in Montana.
(d) Hattie's mother's best friend.
10. What month is coming up shortly?
11. What does Traft Martin ask Hattie?
(a) To keep his younger sister for a while.
(b) To keep his younger brother for a while.
(c) To go with him to a dance.
(d) To marry him.
12. What is Hattie's problem at the water pump?
(a) Her hand sticks to the handle.
(b) She is not strong enough to pump the water up.
(c) The water only trickles out.
(d) The pump handle is rusted and won't pump.
13. Why does Leafie do when she observes who is with the cow?
(a) Becomes obviously happy.
(c) Fires her rifle in the air.
14. Where does Traft offer to take Hattie?
(a) To the feed store.
(b) To church on Sunday.
(c) To Vida.
(d) To his place to show her how to do some simple ranch chores.
15. What has Hattie's uncle Holt been doing with her letters?
(a) Giving them to Charlie to read.
(b) Passing them on to the local newspaper.
(c) Sending them on to Hattie's grandmother in Europe.
(d) Sending them on to Hattie's great-aunt in Maine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grace tell Hattie to do?
2. Why does Hattie go over to talk to Perilee?
3. What is Aunt Ivy's perspective on Hattie's staying with them?
4. What will cost the Mueller family considerably?
5. Who gives Hattie Mr. Whiskers?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)