|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Taft say might be a problem in the community?
(a) Hattie hiring a recent immigrant from Germany.
(b) Hattie not attending the Loyalty League meetings.
(c) Hattie not attending church.
(d) Hattie's friendship with the Muellers.
2. How does Hattie describe Plug?
3. Who brought extra knitting needles for Hattie to use?
(a) The Reverend's wife.
(b) Mrs. Martin.
(d) Grace Robbins.
4. Who does Hattie write to tell of her move to Montana?
(a) Her elderly great aunt.
(c) No one.
(d) A good friend from the last place she lived.
5. What is Aunt Ivy's perspective on Hattie's staying with them?
(a) Aunt Ivy dies shortly after Hattie arrived.
(b) She loves having Hattie there.
(c) She sees Hattie as an inconvenience.
(d) She was reluctant at first but now is very happy about Hattie living with them.
6. Of what does Perilee remind Hattie at the grocery store?
(a) To run a tab with the grocer.
(b) To buy some warm wool to knit a stocking cap and gloves.
(c) To wait to buy perishables until right before they leave.
(d) To buy feed for Plug and Violet.
7. What does Hattie take to the Mueller's?
(b) Some garden tools.
(d) Ten dollars.
8. Why does Hattie ask Traft to dance?
(a) To defuse a tense situation.
(b) To ask him a personal question.
(c) She likes him.
(d) To get him away from the Muellers.
9. Where does Hattie go after cleaning herself up and taking special care with her grooming?
(a) A dance.
(b) To visit a dead neighbor's wife.
(c) To Vida to apply for a loan.
10. What is the date at the opening of the novel?
11. What does Rooster Jim want to continue doing with Hattie that he did with her uncle?
(a) Playing chess.
(b) Playing checkers.
(d) Reading classics.
12. What does Perilee say she is too busy to do?
(a) Bake cookies for a church meeting.
(b) Join the Wednesday evening knitting group.
(c) Go to Vida with Hattie.
(d) Sing in the choir.
13. What does Mrs. Martin say is not needed in the choir?
(b) A director.
14. Who arrives the next morning at Hattie's house?
(a) Rooster Jim.
(d) Perilee's oldest son.
15. Who is Plug?
(a) A dog who lives next door to Hattie.
(b) The tom cat that always fights with Mr. Whiskers.
(c) The horse on Hattie's uncle's ranch in Montana.
(d) A young boy who Hattie babysits occasionally.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hattie wait for a ride to her new home in Montana?
2. Who is Chester?
3. Who comes from the barn as Hattie returns from the fields?
4. How does Hattie write about her life in the letters she writes?
5. About what does Leafie warn Hattie?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)