|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the date at the opening of the novel?
2. How is Mr. Whiskers fed?
(a) He just has some cow's milk.
(b) He catches a snake.
(c) He eats some of the stew.
(d) He catches a mouse.
3. Who arrives the next morning at Hattie's house?
(b) Rooster Jim.
(d) Perilee's oldest son.
4. Who meets Hattie at the door to the dance?
(a) Rooster Jim.
5. How does Hattie's uncle Holt surprise Hattie?
(a) By writing that he wants to come visit.
(b) By sending Hattie fiftenn dollars.
(c) By writing that his wife has died.
(d) By writing that Charlie was back from the war.
6. Why does Hattie ask Traft to dance?
(a) She likes him.
(b) To defuse a tense situation.
(c) To ask him a personal question.
(d) To get him away from the Muellers.
7. Whose cow is it that arrives?
(a) No one.
(b) Rooster Jim.
(c) Perilee and Karl.
8. What does Hattie find when she rides over to the Mueller homestead?
(a) Mattie is missing.
(b) The barn is on fire.
(c) Their cow has been shot.
(d) Perilee is very ill.
9. Who is Violet?
(a) The owner of a tavern in Uncle Holt's town.
(b) The cow on the ranch in Montana.
(c) Hattie's mother.
(d) Aunt Ivy's sister.
10. Where does Hattie wait for a ride to her new home in Montana?
(a) At the side of the railroad tracks with nothing around.
(c) Wolf Point.
(d) Point Lobos.
11. How does Traft Martin help Hattie?
(a) Picking rocks out of the field.
(b) Drawing water for the garden.
(c) Running the plow.
(d) Stapling wire to fence posts.
12. What does Hattie give Perilee in thanks?
(a) A picture.
(b) A book of poems.
(c) A bag of sugar.
(d) A bag of coffee.
13. Who comes from the barn as Hattie returns from the fields?
(b) Leafie Purvis.
(c) Rooster Jim.
14. Of what does Perilee remind Hattie at the grocery store?
(a) To run a tab with the grocer.
(b) To wait to buy perishables until right before they leave.
(c) To buy some warm wool to knit a stocking cap and gloves.
(d) To buy feed for Plug and Violet.
15. What does Hattie realize Mattie has forgotten?
(a) Her jacks.
(b) Her doll.
(c) Her kitten figurine.
(d) Her comb.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Hattie when she becomes an orphan?
2. What does Hattie write for her article in Honyocker's Homily?
3. Who brings Plug home?
4. What does Hattie tie to the ring on the metal eye on the cabin?
5. What has Hattie's uncle Holt been doing with her letters?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)