|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rooster Jim suggest to Hattie?
(a) That Plug might appreciate an umbrella, too.
(b) That Violet will stop giving milk if she is made to work plowing.
(c) That she plow in straight lines.
(d) That she get herself a wide-brimmed hat.
2. What does Hattie suggest they do for the new Mueller baby on the way?
(a) Buy a liberty bond for the baby.
(b) Start a quilt.
(c) Write down the story of the Mueller's life.
(d) Build another room on the Mueller's cabin.
3. What does Traft Martin ask Hattie?
(a) To go with him to a dance.
(b) To keep his younger brother for a while.
(c) To marry him.
(d) To keep his younger sister for a while.
4. What does Rooster Jim offer to do as he is riding by one day?
(a) Show her the boundaries of her property.
(b) Show her how to set a fence post.
(c) Mail Hattie's letters.
(d) Fix the barn roof.
5. What has Hattie's uncle Holt been doing with her letters?
(a) Sending them on to Hattie's great-aunt in Maine.
(b) Giving them to Charlie to read.
(c) Sending them on to Hattie's grandmother in Europe.
(d) Passing them on to the local newspaper.
6. Why does Leafie do when she observes who is with the cow?
(c) Becomes obviously happy.
(d) Fires her rifle in the air.
7. What amuses Rooster Jim as he rides by as Hattie is plowing?
(a) Her plowing outfit.
(b) Her plowing methods.
(c) The way she has harnessed Violet.
(d) The hat she has put on plug.
8. What does Hattie see when she goes to check on the children?
(a) A wild prairie fire heading towards the children.
(b) Several wild boar running towards the children.
(c) A rattlesnake coiled near Mattie Mueller.
(d) A herd of wild horses running towards the children.
9. What does Hattie take to the Mueller's?
(b) Ten dollars.
(d) Some garden tools.
10. Who meets Hattie at the door to the dance?
(a) Rooster Jim.
11. What is Hattie's newest challenge?
(a) Finding a bull to breed with Violet.
(b) Keeping the garden from being overrun with jack rabbits.
(c) Keeping the coyotes away from the chickens.
(d) Fence building.
12. Whose cow is it that arrives?
(b) Perilee and Karl.
(c) Rooster Jim.
(d) No one.
13. Who arrives the next morning at Hattie's house?
(b) Rooster Jim.
(c) Perilee's oldest son.
14. Of what does Perilee remind Hattie at the grocery store?
(a) To buy some warm wool to knit a stocking cap and gloves.
(b) To wait to buy perishables until right before they leave.
(c) To run a tab with the grocer.
(d) To buy feed for Plug and Violet.
15. How far is Hattie's homestead from Vida?
(a) Six miles.
(b) Thirteen miles.
(c) About one mile.
(d) Three miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the note on Hattie's table say when she returns home?
2. What does Hattie do when she notices the situation with the Mueller children?
3. Who is Plug?
4. Who is Violet?
5. How many children do Perilee and Karl bring when they pick up Hattie?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)