|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hattie do when she notices the situation with the Mueller children?
(a) Kills the rattler.
(b) Takes off her petticoat, and waves it to stop the animals.
(c) Pushes the children into the creek.
(d) Hoists the children up into a tree.
2. Where does Hattie go after cleaning herself up and taking special care with her grooming?
(b) To visit a dead neighbor's wife.
(c) A dance.
(d) To Vida to apply for a loan.
3. What does Hattie find when she arrives home?
(a) Her cow is ill.
(b) Another note from an unknown person.
(c) A hay bale is smoldering.
(d) A note from her best friend back in Virginia.
4. What is Hattie's uncle Holt's actual relationship to Hattie?
(a) A distant cousin.
(b) A first cousin.
(c) A close friend of Hattie's grandmother.
(d) A close friend of Hattie's father.
5. How many rods have been planted in Hattie's absence?
6. For what newspaper does Hattie write articles about her life in Montana?
(a) Montana Monthly News.
(b) Vida Life.
(c) Arlington News.
(d) Montana Liberty.
7. How far is Hattie's homestead from Vida?
(a) Thirteen miles.
(b) Three miles.
(c) About one mile.
(d) Six miles.
8. Why does Hattie ask Traft to dance?
(a) To defuse a tense situation.
(b) To get him away from the Muellers.
(c) She likes him.
(d) To ask him a personal question.
9. What does Hattie write for her article in Honyocker's Homily?
(a) A homily about patchwork quilts.
(b) That she is able to plant seeds.
(c) That Plug has several different jobs.
(d) That the Patriotic league is sponsering the Mueller family.
10. How does Hattie get to Montana?
(a) Horse and wagon.
(b) A freight train.
(c) Hitching rides as she can.
(d) The Great Northern Railway.
11. What does Perilee leave with Hattie before they go on to their own place?
(a) Advice, stew and strudel.
(b) Advice and dried meat.
(c) Advice and some dried vegetables.
(d) A dog.
12. Who is Plug?
(a) A dog who lives next door to Hattie.
(b) A young boy who Hattie babysits occasionally.
(c) The horse on Hattie's uncle's ranch in Montana.
(d) The tom cat that always fights with Mr. Whiskers.
13. What does Rooster Jim want to continue doing with Hattie that he did with her uncle?
(a) Reading classics.
(b) Playing chess.
(d) Playing checkers.
14. Whose cow is it that arrives?
(b) No one.
(c) Rooster Jim.
(d) Perilee and Karl.
15. What does Hattie give Perilee in thanks?
(a) A book of poems.
(b) A bag of coffee.
(c) A bag of sugar.
(d) A picture.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Hattie Mr. Whiskers?
2. What does Hattie find when she rides over to the Mueller homestead?
3. At what does Hattie marvel?
4. Who meets Hattie at the door to the dance?
5. What is Aunt Ivy's perspective on Hattie's staying with them?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)