|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Hattie's uncle Holt been doing with her letters?
(a) Passing them on to the local newspaper.
(b) Sending them on to Hattie's great-aunt in Maine.
(c) Giving them to Charlie to read.
(d) Sending them on to Hattie's grandmother in Europe.
2. Whose cow is it that arrives?
(a) Perilee and Karl.
(c) No one.
(d) Rooster Jim.
3. Who is Chester?
(a) The postmaster who is a good friend of Uncle Holt.
(b) The mayor who is a good friend of Uncle Holt.
(c) Hattie's father's brother.
(d) Hattie's uncle in Montana.
4. What is Hattie's problem at the water pump?
(a) The pump handle is rusted and won't pump.
(b) She is not strong enough to pump the water up.
(c) The water only trickles out.
(d) Her hand sticks to the handle.
5. At what does Hattie marvel?
(a) The huge Montana sky.
(b) The orneriness of Violet.
(c) The patience of Plug.
(d) Karl and Perilee's generosity.
6. Who brought extra knitting needles for Hattie to use?
(a) Mrs. Martin.
(b) Grace Robbins.
(c) The Reverend's wife.
7. What happens to Violet's tail?
(a) A wolf bites off part of it.
(b) It gets caught in the stall door.
(d) It gets caught on the barbed wire.
8. What does Hattie write for her article in Honyocker's Homily?
(a) That Plug has several different jobs.
(b) That the Patriotic league is sponsering the Mueller family.
(c) That she is able to plant seeds.
(d) A homily about patchwork quilts.
9. How does Hattie get to Montana?
(a) The Great Northern Railway.
(b) A freight train.
(c) Horse and wagon.
(d) Hitching rides as she can.
10. Who gives Hattie Mr. Whiskers?
(a) Hattie found the cat herself.
(b) Charlie Hawley.
(c) Uncle Holt.
(d) Mrs. Mueller.
11. What does Rooster Jim want to continue doing with Hattie that he did with her uncle?
(b) Playing checkers.
(c) Reading classics.
(d) Playing chess.
12. What does Hattie insist for the person(s) who brings Plug home
(a) That she pay them with oats.
(b) That she pay them with coffee.
(c) That she pay them with peppermint sticks.
(d) That the person(s) spends the night to let the storm abate.
13. How does Hattie write about her life in the letters she writes?
(a) With little emotion.
(c) With angst.
14. How many children do Perilee and Karl bring when they pick up Hattie?
15. What month is coming up shortly?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hattie find when she arrives home?
2. What does Perilee leave with Hattie before they go on to their own place?
3. What does Hattie do when she notices the situation with the Mueller children?
4. Why does Hattie go over to talk to Perilee?
5. Who arrives the next morning at Hattie's house?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)