|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hattie describe Plug?
2. Why does Hattie ask Traft to dance?
(a) To get him away from the Muellers.
(b) To defuse a tense situation.
(c) To ask him a personal question.
(d) She likes him.
3. What is Hattie's newest challenge?
(a) Keeping the coyotes away from the chickens.
(b) Fence building.
(c) Finding a bull to breed with Violet.
(d) Keeping the garden from being overrun with jack rabbits.
4. What does Hattie see when she goes to check on the children?
(a) Several wild boar running towards the children.
(b) A rattlesnake coiled near Mattie Mueller.
(c) A wild prairie fire heading towards the children.
(d) A herd of wild horses running towards the children.
5. How does Hattie write about her life in the letters she writes?
(a) With angst.
(c) With little emotion.
6. What does Perilee leave with Hattie before they go on to their own place?
(a) Advice and some dried vegetables.
(b) Advice and dried meat.
(c) A dog.
(d) Advice, stew and strudel.
7. How far is Hattie's homestead from Vida?
(a) About one mile.
(b) Six miles.
(c) Thirteen miles.
(d) Three miles.
8. What is the response of some of the other ladies when Hattie recommends a Mueller?
(a) Silence and icy.
9. Of what does Perilee remind Hattie at the grocery store?
(a) To run a tab with the grocer.
(b) To buy some warm wool to knit a stocking cap and gloves.
(c) To buy feed for Plug and Violet.
(d) To wait to buy perishables until right before they leave.
10. Who comes from the barn as Hattie returns from the fields?
(c) Leafie Purvis.
(d) Rooster Jim.
11. What will cost the Mueller family considerably?
(a) Buying protection.
(b) The loss of both horses.
(c) The loss of the cow and calf.
(d) The loss of one of the horses.
12. What is the date at the opening of the novel?
13. What is the new visitor's attitude towards Hattie?
14. Who rides up with a cow?
(a) No one.
(b) A group of hostile men.
(c) Perilee's oldest child.
(d) Rooster Jim.
15. What does Mrs. Martin say is not needed in the choir?
(b) A director.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Chester?
2. Why is Hattie embarrassed when Traft comes in her house?
3. What does Hattie tie to the ring on the metal eye on the cabin?
4. How does Traft Martin help Hattie?
5. How many rods have been planted in Hattie's absence?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)