Chapters 1 and 2
1. What is the date at the opening of the novel?
2. How old is Hattie when she becomes an orphan?
3. When does Hattie's uncle Holt take her into his home?
(a) When Hattie first becomes an orphan.
(b) When Hattie is 13.
(c) When Hattie is 7.
(d) When Hattie is 2.
4. What is Hattie's uncle Holt's actual relationship to Hattie?
(a) A close friend of Hattie's grandmother.
(b) A distant cousin.
(c) A first cousin.
(d) A close friend of Hattie's father.
5. What is Aunt Ivy's perspective on Hattie's staying with them?
(a) Aunt Ivy dies shortly after Hattie arrived.
(b) She was reluctant at first but now is very happy about Hattie living with them.
(c) She loves having Hattie there.
(d) She sees Hattie as an inconvenience.
6. Who gives Hattie Mr. Whiskers?
(a) Hattie found the cat herself.
(b) Uncle Holt.
(c) Mrs. Mueller.
(d) Charlie Hawley.
7. Who is Perilee Johnson Mueller?
(a) A woman who runs a boarding house in New England.
(b) Hattie's mother's best friend.
(c) The next-door neighbor to Uncle Holt.
(d) A woman who lives in Montana.
This section contains 4,936 words
(approx. 17 pages at 300 words per page)