Chapters 1 and 2
• "Hattie Big Sky" by Kirby Larson is a novel that takes place beginning in 1917, and follows the adventures of a sixteen-year-old orphan for approximately one year as she moves to Montana.
• Hattie is an orphan who has been shuffled from relative to relative since the age of five and has been with her current relatives, Uncle Holt and Aunt Ivy since age 13.
• Aunt Ivy resents Hattie's presence and has found a position for her in a boarding house, but Hattie is offered an inheritance from her uncle Chester to take over his homestead claim in Montana.
• Hattie, who is now 16, accepts her uncle's posthumous offer and leaves for Montana to take over a 320 acre homestead, which has not yet been proved as far as the claim.
• Ivy is upset at Hattie's decision, but Hattie is determined, so after buying some necessities, she boards a train...
This section contains 2,481 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)