|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Claude strap Hatter to the hospital bed the morning after Dr. Summer returns?
2. Why does Dr. Summer consider returning to the Reformatory early with Hatter?
3. When does Dr. Summer return to Santa Fe to check on his home?
4. What causes Hatter to break into screams while talking to Dr. Summer?
5. How does Hatter ask Dr. Summer to help her as he is leaving her room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What risks are there by Dr. Summer taking Hatter out of the Reformatory for the day? Based on what you have read in the book so far, is he making a wise choice? Support your answer with facts from the book.
Essay Topic 2
There are prejudices and stereotypes expressed against Indians throughout the story. However, are there prejudices or stereotypes expressed against other groups? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the State Reformatory for Girls through Dr. Summer's eyes. From how he describes the institution, is the reader given the impression that this location lends itself to reform? Why or why not? How does the Reformatory itself play a role in the story?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)