|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Claude strap Hatter to the hospital bed the morning after Dr. Summer returns?
2. How does Hatter react when Dr. Summer asks her to eat after releasing her from the hospital bed?
3. How does the winter progress with Hatter, Rhinehart, and Dr. Summer working together?
4. How does Hatter treat Dr. Summer when she sees him upon his return?
5. How does Dr. Summer get Claude to let him release Hatter from the hospital bed?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the moment when Dr. Summer feels that Hatter is trying to communicate with him for the first time. Why does Dr. Summer feel that way? As the reader, do you see the same thing Dr. Summer sees? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What impact does finding Hatter in the "dog house" at the State Reformatory have on Dr. Summer? What reasons is Dr. Summer given for this treatment? In Dr. Summer's opinion, does the punishment fit the crime?
Essay Topic 3
What evidence does the author provide that Dr. Summer is learning and adapting to the Reformatory environment? Does this adaptation help him or hinder him? Does it help or hinder Hatter?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)