|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hatter do when it is time to return to the Reformatory after lunch?
2. How does Hatter react to Rhinehart's story about Claude?
3. Whose attention does the new efficiency of the infirmary gain?
4. What causes Dr. Summer to panic when he returns to the reformatory?
5. Who does not want to see Mango released?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Hatter whisper to Dr. Summer as he leaves her room, leaving her in a straight jacket? What does this tell the reader about Hatter's state of mind? Is this statement a surprise? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The reader can see that both Hatter Fox and Dr. Summer are on life journeys through this story. Choose one of these two characters and provide a synopsis of the changes they are experiencing in their lives. Include the way that each character has influenced the others' journey in your answer. Would either of them have made that same journey without the other? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What impact does finding Hatter in the "dog house" at the State Reformatory have on Dr. Summer? What reasons is Dr. Summer given for this treatment? In Dr. Summer's opinion, does the punishment fit the crime?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)