|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Dr. Summer to panic when he returns to the reformatory?
2. What do Dr. Summer and Rhinehart have for dinner in her apartment?
3. What ends Hatter, Rhinehart, and Dr. Summer's evening?
4. Where does Hatter want to stop after she and Dr. Summer have eaten their sandwiches?
5. When does Dr. Summer return to Santa Fe to check on his home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What risks are there by Dr. Summer taking Hatter out of the Reformatory for the day? Based on what you have read in the book so far, is he making a wise choice? Support your answer with facts from the book.
Essay Topic 2
How does Hatter's death at the end of the book impact Dr. Summer? Based on the progression of both characters through the book, is this reaction a surprise? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the State Reformatory for Girls through Dr. Summer's eyes. From how he describes the institution, is the reader given the impression that this location lends itself to reform? Why or why not? How does the Reformatory itself play a role in the story?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)