Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Hatter Fox at the beginning of the story?
2. What is Dr. Summer's first name?
3. Who does Dr. Summer stay with while he is gone?
4. When does Dr. Summer travel to Albuquerque?
5. In what city does Dr. Summer work when he meets Hatter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hatter forced to leave her first job in Santa Fe? What theme does this follow in the book?
2. What is ironic about the dinner that Rhinehart, Hatter, and Dr. Summer share on Christmas Eve?
3. How does Dr. Summer learn about Hatter Fox? What does Dr. Summer think of her initially?
4. Why does Hatter go with Dr. Summer toward the end of the book? Why does he end up taking her?
5. Why is Dr. Summer called back to the Reformatory after Hatter attacks him?
6. What reason does Claude tell Dr. Summer that Hatter is chained to the cot when Dr. Summer arrives at Hatter's cell? How does Dr. Summer react?
7. What kind of success do Rhinehart, Dr. Summer, and Hatter have in the infirmary? Why?
8. What happens to Dr. Summer as he paces in Hatter's cell while she sleeps?
9. Describe Hatter's feelings toward Dr. Summer now that he has returned. Are these feelings a surprise? Why or why not?
10. What story does Dr. Summer tell Rhinehart in the infirmary? Why is it important?
The reader can see that both Hatter Fox and Dr. Summer are on life journeys through this story. Choose one of these two characters and provide a synopsis of the changes they are experiencing in their lives. Include the way that each character has influenced the others' journey in your answer. Would either of them have made that same journey without the other? Why or why not?
Describe the moment when Dr. Summer feels that Hatter is trying to communicate with him for the first time. Why does Dr. Summer feel that way? As the reader, do you see the same thing Dr. Summer sees? Why or why not?
Hatter tells Dr. Summer several horrifying stories of her childhood. In fact, the stories seem to get worse the more he finds out. Is there any evidence in the story that Hatter is not being honest with Dr. Summer? Are there any bright points to Hatter's past?
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)