|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Dr. Summer return to the Reformatory?
2. What leads Dr. Summer to believe that Hatter has been sexually assaulted while in solitary confinement?
3. What does Dr. Summer believe is killing Hatter Fox?
4. What does Hatter smear on her face and clothes when Dr. Summer meets her?
5. What does Dr. Summer tell Hatter before leaving?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence does Dr. Summer have that Hatter has been sexually abused? Based on what you have read in the book, is it reasonable to think Claude is the culprit?
2. What does Dr. Summer do once released from the hospital? Why?
3. How does Hatter react to the ritual that Rhinehart and Dr. Summer perform in the infirmary? How does Dr. Summer react?
4. Where does Dr. Summer find Hatter the night he spends the day with Mango? Why? How does Dr. Summer react?
5. How is Dr. Summer able to relate to Hatter better than anyone else is?
6. How does Dr. Levering explain Hatter's punishment and how she is treated in her cell?
7. What does Dr. Summer consider a breakthrough with Hatter? Why?
8. Describe Hatter's feelings toward Dr. Summer now that he has returned. Are these feelings a surprise? Why or why not?
9. Why does Dr. Summer choose to leave the Reformatory?
10. What is ironic about the dinner that Rhinehart, Hatter, and Dr. Summer share on Christmas Eve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What impact does finding Hatter in the "dog house" at the State Reformatory have on Dr. Summer? What reasons is Dr. Summer given for this treatment? In Dr. Summer's opinion, does the punishment fit the crime?
Essay Topic 2
There are two blatantly prejudice comments made by Rhinehart to Dr. Summer in regards to Hatter that Dr. Summer takes offense to, but Rhinehart does not realize are offensive. What are those comments? How do these comments help the author develop the theme of prejudice?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the story Rhinehart tells Hatter in the infirmary and the ritual that Dr. Summer and Rhinehart perform with Hatter?
This section contains 1,745 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)