|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What risks does Dr. Summer take when talking with Hatter?
2. On what condition does the Reformatory psychiatrist agree to let Dr. Summer return and stay where he wishes?
3. Why does Dr. Summer choose to stay where he does at the Reformatory?
4. From whose perspective is this story written?
5. Why does Dr. Summer call the psychiatrist at the Reformatory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Summer do when he visits Hatter in her cell at the Reformatory? Why is this surprising?
2. What kind of success do Rhinehart, Dr. Summer, and Hatter have in the infirmary? Why?
3. Why is Dr. Summer surprised at what happens after Hatter's screaming fit?
4. What does Rhinehart tell Dr. Summer about Hatter's wounds? Is there evidence that the wounds are the cause of her illness? Why or why not?
5. What happens to break Hatter's calm demeanor and the pleasant mood during Christmas Eve dinner?
6. What is ironic about the dinner that Rhinehart, Hatter, and Dr. Summer share on Christmas Eve?
7. What evidence does the reader have that Hatter Fox is clever and strong? Is there evidence that she is criminal and hopeless?
8. How does Dr. Levering feel about Dr. Summer's presence at the Reformatory? Why?
9. How does Claude react when Dr. Summer says that he wants to be alone with Hatter? Why?
10. Why does Dr. Levering decide it would be good for Hatter to eat lunch in the cafeteria? What happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are prejudices and stereotypes expressed against Indians throughout the story. However, are there prejudices or stereotypes expressed against other groups? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does Hatter's death at the end of the book impact Dr. Summer? Based on the progression of both characters through the book, is this reaction a surprise? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What impact does finding Hatter in the "dog house" at the State Reformatory have on Dr. Summer? What reasons is Dr. Summer given for this treatment? In Dr. Summer's opinion, does the punishment fit the crime?
This section contains 1,813 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)