|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hatter do as Dr. Summer is attempting to leave?
2. On what condition does the Reformatory psychiatrist agree to let Dr. Summer return and stay where he wishes?
3. What does Dr. Summer learn when he returns to the Reformatory?
4. Where does Dr. Summer decide to spend some time a few days after he speaks to Hatter?
5. What does Hatter refuse to wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dr. Levering feel about Dr. Summer's presence at the Reformatory? Why?
2. Describe Hatter's feelings toward Dr. Summer now that he has returned. Are these feelings a surprise? Why or why not?
3. Where does Dr. Summer find Hatter the night he spends the day with Mango? Why? How does Dr. Summer react?
4. How does Claude react when Dr. Summer says that he wants to be alone with Hatter? Why?
5. What does Dr. Summer see outside of Dr. Levering's window? How does he react?
6. How is Dr. Summer's meeting with Hatter the second time in the Reformatory different from the first?
7. In what perspective is Hatter Fox told? What does this mean for the reader?
8. What does Dr. Summer consider a breakthrough with Hatter? Why?
9. What does Mango show Dr. Summer when she is helping him move into his guest cottage at the Reformatory? Why?
10. Why has Dr. Levering called Dr. Summer to the State Reformatory? What problem does this pose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ultimately, Dr. Summer decides to return to the Reformatory after Hatter attacks him for the second time. What factors help him make this decision? What affects him the most? Based on what you have ready, why does Dr. Summer keep trying to reach Hatter?
Essay Topic 2
There are two blatantly prejudice comments made by Rhinehart to Dr. Summer in regards to Hatter that Dr. Summer takes offense to, but Rhinehart does not realize are offensive. What are those comments? How do these comments help the author develop the theme of prejudice?
Essay Topic 3
How does Hatter's death at the end of the book impact Dr. Summer? Based on the progression of both characters through the book, is this reaction a surprise? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)