|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Dr. Summer not to return to Santa Fe?
2. What leads Dr. Summer to believe that Hatter has been sexually assaulted while in solitary confinement?
3. Why does Dr. Summer travel to Albuquerque?
4. What risks does Dr. Summer take when talking with Hatter?
5. How does Mango feel when she arrives to take Dr. Summer to the Reformatory the next morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hatter surprise Dr. Summer the night he returns to the reformatory? How does Dr. Summer feel about the occurrence?
2. What does Dr. Summer see outside of Dr. Levering's window? How does he react?
3. How does the local Navajo group at the University hurt Hatter? Why does it hurt her?
4. What happens between Dr. Summer and Hatter when Hatter's lunch is brought to her? Why?
5. How does Dr. Summer react to Hatter's death?
6. What does Mango show Dr. Summer when she is helping him move into his guest cottage at the Reformatory? Why?
7. Why are Rhinehart's comments to Hatter especially hurtful to her? Based on what you have read, are Rhinehart's comments a surprise?
8. In what perspective is Hatter Fox told? What does this mean for the reader?
9. Why does Hatter go with Dr. Summer toward the end of the book? Why does he end up taking her?
10. How does Hatter respond to Dr. Summer when he attempts to speak with her the first time? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What impact does finding Hatter in the "dog house" at the State Reformatory have on Dr. Summer? What reasons is Dr. Summer given for this treatment? In Dr. Summer's opinion, does the punishment fit the crime?
Essay Topic 2
Hatter tells Dr. Summer several horrifying stories of her childhood. In fact, the stories seem to get worse the more he finds out. Is there any evidence in the story that Hatter is not being honest with Dr. Summer? Are there any bright points to Hatter's past?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the first interaction between Dr. Summer and Hatter Fox. How does this interaction set the tone for the rest of their relationship?
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)