|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dr. Summer decide to leave for a few days?
2. What do the letters ask of Dr. Summer?
3. What does Dr. Summer offer Hatter in her cell?
4. Where is Hatter kept at the Reformatory?
5. To what Indian tribe does Hatter Fox belong?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Summer help Hatter do once they are in Santa Fe?
2. What reason does Claude tell Dr. Summer that Hatter is chained to the cot when Dr. Summer arrives at Hatter's cell? How does Dr. Summer react?
3. What does Dr. Summer see outside of Dr. Levering's window? How does he react?
4. How did Rhinehart find herself at the Reformatory?
5. How does Dr. Summer feel about leaving the Reformatory? How does Rhinehart feel about his leaving?
6. What happens to Dr. Summer as he paces in Hatter's cell while she sleeps?
7. What does Mango show Dr. Summer when she is helping him move into his guest cottage at the Reformatory? Why?
8. What does Dr. Summer do when he visits Hatter in her cell at the Reformatory? Why is this surprising?
9. Why does Rhinehart tell Hatter the story about the witch? What purpose does it serve?
10. What evidence does the reader have that Hatter Fox is clever and strong? Is there evidence that she is criminal and hopeless?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the moment when Dr. Summer feels that Hatter is trying to communicate with him for the first time. Why does Dr. Summer feel that way? As the reader, do you see the same thing Dr. Summer sees? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the State Reformatory for Girls through Dr. Summer's eyes. From how he describes the institution, is the reader given the impression that this location lends itself to reform? Why or why not? How does the Reformatory itself play a role in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the first interaction between Dr. Summer and Hatter Fox. How does this interaction set the tone for the rest of their relationship?
This section contains 1,822 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)