|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the head of the Reformatory?
2. What risks does Dr. Summer take when talking with Hatter?
3. Who is the author of <i>Hatter Fox</i>?
4. What does Hatter refuse to wear?
5. How does Mango feel when she arrives to take Dr. Summer to the Reformatory the next morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Summer do when he visits Hatter in her cell at the Reformatory? Why is this surprising?
2. How does Dr. Summer react to the small piece of history that Hatter shares with him on Christmas Eve?
3. Why is Hatter tied up and kept next to the body of a crushed girl? How does this make Dr. Summer feel?
4. What misunderstanding do Rhinehart and Dr. Summer have at the end of their dinner in Rhinehart's apartment?
5. How do the administrators react to the attack on Hatter? How does Dr. Summer react?
6. How do Dr. Levering and Dr. Winton convince Dr. Summer to help Hatter? What really convinces Dr. Summer?
7. How does Claude react when Dr. Summer says that he wants to be alone with Hatter? Why?
8. What does Dr. Summer help Hatter do once they are in Santa Fe?
9. What kind of success do Rhinehart, Dr. Summer, and Hatter have in the infirmary? Why?
10. How does Dr. Summer first meet Hatter? What is she doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What impact does finding Hatter in the "dog house" at the State Reformatory have on Dr. Summer? What reasons is Dr. Summer given for this treatment? In Dr. Summer's opinion, does the punishment fit the crime?
Essay Topic 2
Hatter tells Dr. Summer several horrifying stories of her childhood. In fact, the stories seem to get worse the more he finds out. Is there any evidence in the story that Hatter is not being honest with Dr. Summer? Are there any bright points to Hatter's past?
Essay Topic 3
What thought process does Dr. Summer go through when ultimately deciding to return to the Reformatory? Is it a surprise that he makes this decision? Why or why not? Use examples from the story and his character in your answer.
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)