|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What risks does Dr. Summer take when talking with Hatter?
2. Why does Dr. Summer beg Hatter to eat lunch in her cell?
3. What does Dr. Summer offer Hatter in her cell?
4. In broad terms, what is this story about?
5. Where does Dr. Summer go after leaving the Reformatory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Summer do when he visits Hatter in her cell at the Reformatory? Why is this surprising?
2. Why are Rhinehart's comments to Hatter especially hurtful to her? Based on what you have read, are Rhinehart's comments a surprise?
3. What does Dr. Summer consider a breakthrough with Hatter? Why?
4. What does Rhinehart tell Dr. Summer about Hatter's wounds? Is there evidence that the wounds are the cause of her illness? Why or why not?
5. How does Dr. Summer first meet Hatter? What is she doing?
6. What evidence does the reader have that Hatter Fox is clever and strong? Is there evidence that she is criminal and hopeless?
7. Why is Hatter forced to leave her first job in Santa Fe? What theme does this follow in the book?
8. Why does Rhinehart tell Hatter the story about the witch? What purpose does it serve?
9. Why does Hatter go with Dr. Summer toward the end of the book? Why does he end up taking her?
10. How is Dr. Summer's meeting with Hatter the second time in the Reformatory different from the first?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What impact does finding Hatter in the "dog house" at the State Reformatory have on Dr. Summer? What reasons is Dr. Summer given for this treatment? In Dr. Summer's opinion, does the punishment fit the crime?
Essay Topic 2
What happens when Hatter starts eating her meals in the cafeteria with the other girls? How does this impact Hatter? Dr. Summer?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author demonstrate how Hatter must feel being alone in solitary confinement all the time? What techniques and characters does he use?
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)