Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Hatter Fox at the beginning of the story?
2. What is Dr. Summer's first name?
3. Who does Dr. Summer stay with while he is gone?
4. When does Dr. Summer travel to Albuquerque?
5. In what city does Dr. Summer work when he meets Hatter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hatter forced to leave her first job in Santa Fe? What theme does this follow in the book?
2. What is ironic about the dinner that Rhinehart, Hatter, and Dr. Summer share on Christmas Eve?
3. How does Dr. Summer learn about Hatter Fox? What does Dr. Summer think of her initially?
4. Why does Hatter go with Dr. Summer toward the end of the book? Why does he end up taking her?
5. Why is Dr. Summer called back to the Reformatory after Hatter attacks him?
6. What reason does Claude tell Dr. Summer that Hatter is chained to the cot when Dr. Summer arrives at Hatter's cell? How does Dr. Summer react?
7. What kind of success do Rhinehart, Dr. Summer, and Hatter have in the infirmary? Why?
8. What happens to Dr. Summer as he paces in Hatter's cell while she sleeps?
9. Describe Hatter's feelings toward Dr. Summer now that he has returned. Are these feelings a surprise? Why or why not?
10. What story does Dr. Summer tell Rhinehart in the infirmary? Why is it important?
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the story Rhinehart tells Hatter in the infirmary and the ritual that Dr. Summer and Rhinehart perform with Hatter?
Essay Topic 2
What risks are there by Dr. Summer taking Hatter out of the Reformatory for the day? Based on what you have read in the book so far, is he making a wise choice? Support your answer with facts from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What drives Dr. Summer to return to the Reformatory to help Hatter? What is his plan?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)