|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Summer tell the Reformatory psychiatrist about Hatter Fox and Claude?
2. Why does Dr. Summer choose to stay where he does at the Reformatory?
3. On what condition does the Reformatory psychiatrist agree to let Dr. Summer return and stay where he wishes?
4. Who believes putting the girls in the "dog house" is an effective punishment?
5. What is Dr. Summer's first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the administrators react to the attack on Hatter? How does Dr. Summer react?
2. What kind of success do Rhinehart, Dr. Summer, and Hatter have in the infirmary? Why?
3. Why has Dr. Levering called Dr. Summer to the State Reformatory? What problem does this pose?
4. What does Rhinehart tell Dr. Summer about Hatter's wounds? Is there evidence that the wounds are the cause of her illness? Why or why not?
5. How does Claude react when Dr. Summer says that he wants to be alone with Hatter? Why?
6. How does Dr. Summer first meet Hatter? What is she doing?
7. What does Dr. Summer do when he visits Hatter in her cell at the Reformatory? Why is this surprising?
8. What dilemma does Dr. Summer face on Christmas Eve?
9. Why is Hatter tied up and kept next to the body of a crushed girl? How does this make Dr. Summer feel?
10. What does Hatter's tale of the old woman ghost demonstrate to Dr. Summer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the story Rhinehart tells Hatter in the infirmary and the ritual that Dr. Summer and Rhinehart perform with Hatter?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the State Reformatory for Girls through Dr. Summer's eyes. From how he describes the institution, is the reader given the impression that this location lends itself to reform? Why or why not? How does the Reformatory itself play a role in the story?
Essay Topic 3
What thought process does Dr. Summer go through when ultimately deciding to return to the Reformatory? Is it a surprise that he makes this decision? Why or why not? Use examples from the story and his character in your answer.
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)