|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dr. Summer stay with while he is gone?
2. How does Hatter react to Dr. Summer treating her skin abrasions?
3. What does Hatter do as Dr. Summer tells her his life story?
4. What does Dr. Summer tell Hatter before leaving?
5. Why does Hatter have an intravenous line?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hatter forced to leave her first job in Santa Fe? What theme does this follow in the book?
2. Why is Hatter tied up and kept next to the body of a crushed girl? How does this make Dr. Summer feel?
3. How do Dr. Levering and Dr. Winton convince Dr. Summer to help Hatter? What really convinces Dr. Summer?
4. How does Hatter surprise Dr. Summer the night he returns to the reformatory? How does Dr. Summer feel about the occurrence?
5. What dilemma does Dr. Summer face on Christmas Eve?
6. What is ironic about the dinner that Rhinehart, Hatter, and Dr. Summer share on Christmas Eve?
7. Why does Hatter go with Dr. Summer toward the end of the book? Why does he end up taking her?
8. Why are Hatter and Dr. Summer allowed to stay and work in the infirmary? How does Hatter respond to this change?
9. How is Dr. Summer's meeting with Hatter the second time in the Reformatory different from the first?
10. Where does Dr. Summer find Hatter the night he spends the day with Mango? Why? How does Dr. Summer react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ultimately, Dr. Summer decides to return to the Reformatory after Hatter attacks him for the second time. What factors help him make this decision? What affects him the most? Based on what you have ready, why does Dr. Summer keep trying to reach Hatter?
Essay Topic 2
What impact does finding Hatter in the "dog house" at the State Reformatory have on Dr. Summer? What reasons is Dr. Summer given for this treatment? In Dr. Summer's opinion, does the punishment fit the crime?
Essay Topic 3
What evidence does the author provide that Dr. Summer is learning and adapting to the Reformatory environment? Does this adaptation help him or hinder him? Does it help or hinder Hatter?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)