|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What information does Dr. Summer use to form his initial opinion of Hatter?
2. What does Dr. Summer receive when he gets back?
3. Why does Dr. Summer withdraw his offer to stay and help Hatter?
4. Where is the State Reformatory for Girls located?
5. On what documents is the story based or built from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hatter forced to leave her first job in Santa Fe? What theme does this follow in the book?
2. How does Dr. Levering feel about Dr. Summer's presence at the Reformatory? Why?
3. In what perspective is Hatter Fox told? What does this mean for the reader?
4. Why is Hatter tied up and kept next to the body of a crushed girl? How does this make Dr. Summer feel?
5. What are the conditions under which Dr. Summer comes back to the Reformatory? What does he bring back with him and why?
6. Why does Dr. Summer choose to leave the Reformatory?
7. How does the local Navajo group at the University hurt Hatter? Why does it hurt her?
8. How do the administrators react to the attack on Hatter? How does Dr. Summer react?
9. How does Claude react when Dr. Summer says that he wants to be alone with Hatter? Why?
10. How does Hatter react to the ritual that Rhinehart and Dr. Summer perform in the infirmary? How does Dr. Summer react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What impact does finding Hatter in the "dog house" at the State Reformatory have on Dr. Summer? What reasons is Dr. Summer given for this treatment? In Dr. Summer's opinion, does the punishment fit the crime?
Essay Topic 2
What evidence does the author provide that Dr. Summer is learning and adapting to the Reformatory environment? Does this adaptation help him or hinder him? Does it help or hinder Hatter?
Essay Topic 3
Ultimately, Dr. Summer decides to return to the Reformatory after Hatter attacks him for the second time. What factors help him make this decision? What affects him the most? Based on what you have ready, why does Dr. Summer keep trying to reach Hatter?
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)