|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dr. Summer stay with while he is gone?
2. Who believes putting the girls in the "dog house" is an effective punishment?
3. During what time period does this story take place?
4. What does the head of the reformatory offer Dr. Summer to help in Hatter's treatment?
5. What does Dr. Summer learn when he returns to the Reformatory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Summer see outside of Dr. Levering's window? How does he react?
2. Why has Dr. Levering called Dr. Summer to the State Reformatory? What problem does this pose?
3. How does the local Navajo group at the University hurt Hatter? Why does it hurt her?
4. Why does Dr. Summer choose to leave the Reformatory?
5. Why does Hatter go with Dr. Summer toward the end of the book? Why does he end up taking her?
6. Why is Hatter visibly nervous about being at the diner near the University?
7. What happens to Dr. Summer as he paces in Hatter's cell while she sleeps?
8. What happens when Dr. Summer enters the jail cell with Hatter and the wounded boy?
9. What evidence does the reader have that Hatter Fox is clever and strong? Is there evidence that she is criminal and hopeless?
10. How is Dr. Summer able to relate to Hatter better than anyone else is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Hatter's death at the end of the book impact Dr. Summer? Based on the progression of both characters through the book, is this reaction a surprise? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There are two blatantly prejudice comments made by Rhinehart to Dr. Summer in regards to Hatter that Dr. Summer takes offense to, but Rhinehart does not realize are offensive. What are those comments? How do these comments help the author develop the theme of prejudice?
Essay Topic 3
What happens when Hatter starts eating her meals in the cafeteria with the other girls? How does this impact Hatter? Dr. Summer?
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)