|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dr. Summer choose to stay where he does at the Reformatory?
2. What does Hatter do as Dr. Summer is attempting to leave?
3. What does Hatter do to Dr. Summer during their first meeting?
4. What is Dr. Summer's first name?
5. Where is Hatter kept at the Reformatory?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dr. Summer react to Hatter's death?
2. Why does Dr. Summer choose to leave the Reformatory?
3. Where does Dr. Summer find Hatter the night he spends the day with Mango? Why? How does Dr. Summer react?
4. How do Dr. Levering and Dr. Winton convince Dr. Summer to help Hatter? What really convinces Dr. Summer?
5. Why is Dr. Summer surprised at what happens after Hatter's screaming fit?
6. What dilemma does Dr. Summer face on Christmas Eve?
7. What does Rhinehart tell Dr. Summer about Hatter's wounds? Is there evidence that the wounds are the cause of her illness? Why or why not?
8. How does Hatter surprise Dr. Summer the night he returns to the reformatory? How does Dr. Summer feel about the occurrence?
9. What happens when Dr. Summer enters the jail cell with Hatter and the wounded boy?
10. What evidence does Dr. Summer have that Hatter has been sexually abused? Based on what you have read in the book, is it reasonable to think Claude is the culprit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What drives Dr. Summer to return to the Reformatory to help Hatter? What is his plan?
Essay Topic 2
There are two blatantly prejudice comments made by Rhinehart to Dr. Summer in regards to Hatter that Dr. Summer takes offense to, but Rhinehart does not realize are offensive. What are those comments? How do these comments help the author develop the theme of prejudice?
Essay Topic 3
What thought process does Dr. Summer go through when ultimately deciding to return to the Reformatory? Is it a surprise that he makes this decision? Why or why not? Use examples from the story and his character in your answer.
This section contains 1,756 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)