|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the psychiatrist explain Hatter's extreme punishment?
2. What does Dr. Summer tell Hatter before leaving?
3. What is Hatter directing the other young people in the room to do while Dr. Summer is there?
4. What does Dr. Summer tell the Reformatory psychiatrist about Hatter Fox and Claude?
5. Where does Dr. Summer meet Hatter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dilemma does Dr. Summer face on Christmas Eve?
2. How does Dr. Summer feel about leaving the Reformatory? How does Rhinehart feel about his leaving?
3. How does Dr. Levering feel about Dr. Summer's presence at the Reformatory? Why?
4. What is ironic about the dinner that Rhinehart, Hatter, and Dr. Summer share on Christmas Eve?
5. What does Dr. Summer do when he visits Hatter in her cell at the Reformatory? Why is this surprising?
6. How does Dr. Summer react to Hatter's death?
7. What does Rhinehart tell Dr. Summer about Hatter's wounds? Is there evidence that the wounds are the cause of her illness? Why or why not?
8. Why is Hatter visibly nervous about being at the diner near the University?
9. What does Dr. Summer do to try to improve Hatter's life in the Reformatory?
10. Why is Dr. Summer called back to the Reformatory after Hatter attacks him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the story Rhinehart tells Hatter in the infirmary and the ritual that Dr. Summer and Rhinehart perform with Hatter?
Essay Topic 2
The reader can see that both Hatter Fox and Dr. Summer are on life journeys through this story. Choose one of these two characters and provide a synopsis of the changes they are experiencing in their lives. Include the way that each character has influenced the others' journey in your answer. Would either of them have made that same journey without the other? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ultimately, Dr. Summer decides to return to the Reformatory after Hatter attacks him for the second time. What factors help him make this decision? What affects him the most? Based on what you have ready, why does Dr. Summer keep trying to reach Hatter?
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)