|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Reformatory psychiatrist tell Dr. Summer is the only way Hatter will leave the basement early?
2. Why does Dr. Summer choose to stay where he does at the Reformatory?
3. What does Dr. Summer say the state facility where Hatter is smells like?
4. How does Hatter react to Dr. Summer when he offers her something to drink?
5. From whose perspective is this story written?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Summer do when he visits Hatter in her cell at the Reformatory? Why is this surprising?
2. How does Dr. Summer react to the small piece of history that Hatter shares with him on Christmas Eve?
3. Why is Dr. Summer surprised at what happens after Hatter's screaming fit?
4. How does the local Navajo group at the University hurt Hatter? Why does it hurt her?
5. Why has Dr. Levering called Dr. Summer to the State Reformatory? What problem does this pose?
6. What evidence does Dr. Summer have that Hatter has been sexually abused? Based on what you have read in the book, is it reasonable to think Claude is the culprit?
7. What reason does Claude tell Dr. Summer that Hatter is chained to the cot when Dr. Summer arrives at Hatter's cell? How does Dr. Summer react?
8. How does Hatter surprise Dr. Summer the night he returns to the reformatory? How does Dr. Summer feel about the occurrence?
9. Why does Hatter go with Dr. Summer toward the end of the book? Why does he end up taking her?
10. How do Dr. Levering and Dr. Winton convince Dr. Summer to help Hatter? What really convinces Dr. Summer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Hatter whisper to Dr. Summer as he leaves her room, leaving her in a straight jacket? What does this tell the reader about Hatter's state of mind? Is this statement a surprise? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The reader can see that both Hatter Fox and Dr. Summer are on life journeys through this story. Choose one of these two characters and provide a synopsis of the changes they are experiencing in their lives. Include the way that each character has influenced the others' journey in your answer. Would either of them have made that same journey without the other? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does Hatter's death at the end of the book impact Dr. Summer? Based on the progression of both characters through the book, is this reaction a surprise? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)