|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hatter react to Dr. Summer when he offers her something to drink?
2. What is the name of the psychiatrist who has asked for Dr. Summer's help?
3. Why does Hatter have an intravenous line?
4. On what documents is the story based or built from?
5. What does Dr. Summer see when he looks up from the floor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dr. Summer react to the small piece of history that Hatter shares with him on Christmas Eve?
2. What story does Dr. Summer tell Rhinehart in the infirmary? Why is it important?
3. How does Dr. Levering explain Hatter's punishment and how she is treated in her cell?
4. Why are Rhinehart's comments to Hatter especially hurtful to her? Based on what you have read, are Rhinehart's comments a surprise?
5. Why does Dr. Summer choose to leave the Reformatory?
6. How do Dr. Levering and Dr. Winton convince Dr. Summer to help Hatter? What really convinces Dr. Summer?
7. What is this story about? Where does it take place? Who are the main characters?
8. Why is Hatter tied up and kept next to the body of a crushed girl? How does this make Dr. Summer feel?
9. What happens to Dr. Summer as he paces in Hatter's cell while she sleeps?
10. Why does Dr. Summer spend a day with Mango?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Hatter whisper to Dr. Summer as he leaves her room, leaving her in a straight jacket? What does this tell the reader about Hatter's state of mind? Is this statement a surprise? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There are prejudices and stereotypes expressed against Indians throughout the story. However, are there prejudices or stereotypes expressed against other groups? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the first interaction between Dr. Summer and Hatter Fox. How does this interaction set the tone for the rest of their relationship?
This section contains 1,802 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)