|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dr. Summer stay with while he is gone?
2. What does Hatter do when Dr. Summer attempts to talk to her?
3. Why does Dr. Summer go to the jail after being released from the hospital?
4. Why does the psychiatrist say it is pointless for Dr. Summer to see Hatter?
5. What does Dr. Summer tell the Reformatory psychiatrist about Hatter Fox and Claude?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rhinehart tell Dr. Summer about Hatter's wounds? Is there evidence that the wounds are the cause of her illness? Why or why not?
2. Why does Dr. Summer choose to leave the Reformatory?
3. How does Dr. Summer learn about Hatter Fox? What does Dr. Summer think of her initially?
4. What dilemma does Dr. Summer face on Christmas Eve?
5. What happens when Dr. Summer finds Hatter strapped to the hospital bed in the morning?
6. What does Dr. Summer do once released from the hospital? Why?
7. What does Hatter's tale of the old woman ghost demonstrate to Dr. Summer?
8. Where does Dr. Summer find Hatter the night he spends the day with Mango? Why? How does Dr. Summer react?
9. How does Dr. Levering feel about Dr. Summer's presence at the Reformatory? Why?
10. Why does Dr. Summer spend a day with Mango?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What impact does finding Hatter in the "dog house" at the State Reformatory have on Dr. Summer? What reasons is Dr. Summer given for this treatment? In Dr. Summer's opinion, does the punishment fit the crime?
Essay Topic 2
Ultimately, Dr. Summer decides to return to the Reformatory after Hatter attacks him for the second time. What factors help him make this decision? What affects him the most? Based on what you have ready, why does Dr. Summer keep trying to reach Hatter?
Essay Topic 3
What thought process does Dr. Summer go through when ultimately deciding to return to the Reformatory? Is it a surprise that he makes this decision? Why or why not? Use examples from the story and his character in your answer.
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)