|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hatter react to Dr. Summer when he offers her something to drink?
(a) She is completely unresponsive at first.
(b) She attacks him again.
(c) She yells at him to leave her alone.
(d) She listens and speaks to him softly.
2. What does Dr. Summer request for Hatter after lunchtime?
(a) Warm water.
(b) A clean dress.
(c) Both of these.
(d) Neither of these.
3. Where does Dr. Summer meet Hatter?
(a) At a local jail.
(b) In the medical clinic.
(c) None of these.
(d) In a group home.
4. What is the name of the psychiatrist who has asked for Dr. Summer's help?
(a) Dr. Thomas Levitt.
(b) Dr. Thomas Levering.
(c) Dr. Tanya Levory.
(d) Dr. Troy Levering.
5. What does Mango show Dr. Summer in his cottage?
(a) The bruises one of the guards inflicted on her.
(b) A scar from her childhood.
(c) The necklace her mother gave her.
(d) A scar from a slash Hatter inflicted on her.
Short Answer Questions
1. In broad terms, what is this story about?
2. What does the Reformatory psychiatrist tell Dr. Summer is the only way Hatter will leave the basement early?
3. How does the psychiatrist explain Hatter's extreme punishment?
4. Why does Dr. Summer withdraw his offer to stay and help Hatter?
5. On what documents is the story based or built from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Summer see outside of Dr. Levering's window? How does he react?
2. What does Dr. Summer do to try to improve Hatter's life in the Reformatory?
3. How does Hatter respond to Dr. Summer when he attempts to speak with her the first time? Why?
4. What misunderstanding do Rhinehart and Dr. Summer have at the end of their dinner in Rhinehart's apartment?
5. What does Mango show Dr. Summer when she is helping him move into his guest cottage at the Reformatory? Why?
6. What does Dr. Summer do once released from the hospital? Why?
7. How does Dr. Summer react to the small piece of history that Hatter shares with him on Christmas Eve?
8. How does Dr. Levering feel about Dr. Summer's presence at the Reformatory? Why?
9. How does Claude react when Dr. Summer says that he wants to be alone with Hatter? Why?
10. How does Hatter react to the ritual that Rhinehart and Dr. Summer perform in the infirmary? How does Dr. Summer react?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)