|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Reformatory psychiatrist tell Dr. Summer is the only way Hatter will leave the basement early?
(a) If she is transferred to the state hospital.
(b) If she is sick enough to go to the infirmary.
(c) If she starts speaking and eating.
(d) She will never leave the basement early.
2. Who summons Mango to help Dr. Summer settle into his new cottage?
(a) Dr. Levering.
(b) Dr. Levitt.
(c) Dr. Levory.
(d) Dr. Winton.
3. What is Hatter directing the other young people in the room to do while Dr. Summer is there?
(a) She has them in three single-file rows, marching in place.
(b) She has them in two single-file rows, marching.
(c) She has them in one line, jogging in place.
(d) She has them doing a ritualistic dance.
4. What information does Dr. Summer use to form his initial opinion of Hatter?
(a) Her medical files.
(b) His first meeting with her.
(c) What he hears from other people.
(d) Information from her parents.
5. What risks does Dr. Summer take when talking with Hatter?
(a) He asks to be alone with her.
(b) Neither of these.
(c) He undoes the straps that hold her to the bed.
(d) Both of these.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hatter react to Dr. Summer treating her skin abrasions?
2. What time does Dr. Summer return to the Reformatory?
3. In what city does Dr. Summer work when he meets Hatter?
4. How does Hatter react to Dr. Summer when he offers her something to drink?
5. To what Indian tribe does Hatter Fox belong?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Summer see outside of Dr. Levering's window? How does he react?
2. How does Hatter respond to Dr. Summer when he attempts to speak with her the first time? Why?
3. What does Dr. Summer do when he visits Hatter in her cell at the Reformatory? Why is this surprising?
4. What story does Dr. Summer tell Rhinehart in the infirmary? Why is it important?
5. How does Dr. Summer react to the small piece of history that Hatter shares with him on Christmas Eve?
6. How does Hatter react to the ritual that Rhinehart and Dr. Summer perform in the infirmary? How does Dr. Summer react?
7. Why does Hatter go with Dr. Summer toward the end of the book? Why does he end up taking her?
8. What does Dr. Summer consider a breakthrough with Hatter? Why?
9. Where does Dr. Summer find Hatter the night he spends the day with Mango? Why? How does Dr. Summer react?
10. Why does Dr. Levering decide it would be good for Hatter to eat lunch in the cafeteria? What happens?
This section contains 1,262 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)