|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Dr. Summer called in to treat when he meets Hatter?
(a) A girl who has slit her wrists.
(b) Another girl who Hatter has injured in a fight.
(c) A boy who has slit his wrists.
(d) Hatter, who has been wounded in a fight.
2. Where is the State Reformatory for Girls located?
(c) El Paso.
(d) Santa Fe.
3. What does Dr. Summer do when Hatter refuses to eat her lunch?
(a) He asks Claude to force feed her.
(b) He tells her she does not have to eat.
(c) He tries to force feed her.
(d) He threatens to leave her in the cell alone.
4. What does the Reformatory psychiatrist tell Dr. Summer is the only way Hatter will leave the basement early?
(a) If she starts speaking and eating.
(b) She will never leave the basement early.
(c) If she is transferred to the state hospital.
(d) If she is sick enough to go to the infirmary.
5. Why does Dr. Summer go to the jail after being released from the hospital?
(a) None of these.
(b) To see Hatter face-to-face.
(c) To check on Hatter's wounds and her progress.
(d) To press charges against Hatter.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Dr. Summer travel to Albuquerque?
2. In broad terms, what is this story about?
3. Why is it thought that putting the girls in the "dog house" is an effective punishment?
4. Why does Hatter have an intravenous line?
5. Who does Dr. Summer stay with while he is gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dr. Summer surprised at what happens after Hatter's screaming fit?
2. Why does Rhinehart tell Hatter the story about the witch? What purpose does it serve?
3. Why does Dr. Summer choose to leave the Reformatory?
4. Describe Hatter's feelings toward Dr. Summer now that he has returned. Are these feelings a surprise? Why or why not?
5. In what perspective is Hatter Fox told? What does this mean for the reader?
6. Why are Hatter and Dr. Summer allowed to stay and work in the infirmary? How does Hatter respond to this change?
7. How does Dr. Levering feel about Dr. Summer's presence at the Reformatory? Why?
8. How does Claude react when Dr. Summer says that he wants to be alone with Hatter? Why?
9. What evidence does Dr. Summer have that Hatter has been sexually abused? Based on what you have read in the book, is it reasonable to think Claude is the culprit?
10. What does Dr. Summer consider a breakthrough with Hatter? Why?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)