|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what city does Dr. Summer work when he meets Hatter?
(a) El Paso, TX.
(b) Santa Fe, NM.
(c) Albuquerque, NM.
(d) Phoenix, AZ.
2. What does Hatter smear on her face and clothes when Dr. Summer meets her?
(b) None of these.
3. Why does Dr. Summer beg Hatter to eat lunch in her cell?
(a) Neither of these.
(b) He is afraid she is trying to starve herself.
(c) Both of these.
(d) He is afraid she will not be brought food after he leaves.
4. How old is Hatter Fox at the beginning of the story?
5. What does Dr. Summer think he sees outside in the facility courtyard?
(a) Inmates hanging laundry in the freezing rain.
(b) Inmates being transferred from one building to another in the freezing rain without shoes.
(c) A dead animal in a pen in the freezing rain.
(d) An animal locked in a pen in the freezing rain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dr. Summer go after leaving the Reformatory?
2. In broad terms, what is this story about?
3. Who is Dr. Summer called in to treat when he meets Hatter?
4. What does Hatter do as Dr. Summer is attempting to leave?
5. What does Dr. Summer see when he looks up from the floor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Summer spend a day with Mango?
2. How does Dr. Levering feel about Dr. Summer's presence at the Reformatory? Why?
3. What is waiting for Dr. Summer when he arrives back home from recovering at his friend's house?
4. How does Dr. Summer feel about leaving the Reformatory? How does Rhinehart feel about his leaving?
5. What evidence does the reader have that Hatter Fox is clever and strong? Is there evidence that she is criminal and hopeless?
6. Why is Hatter lying under her blanket in her cell? What does this demonstrate about her personality?
7. How does Dr. Summer react to the small piece of history that Hatter shares with him on Christmas Eve?
8. Why does Hatter go with Dr. Summer toward the end of the book? Why does he end up taking her?
9. What does Dr. Summer see outside of Dr. Levering's window? How does he react?
10. Why does Dr. Levering decide it would be good for Hatter to eat lunch in the cafeteria? What happens?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)