|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Dr. Summer become a doctor when he first meets Hatter?
(a) A free Indian Health Clinic.
(b) The Bureau of Indian Health.
(c) The New Mexico Health Center.
(d) The Bureau of Indian Affairs.
2. Why does Dr. Summer travel to Albuquerque?
(a) In response to the letters from the State Reformatory for Girls.
(b) To get Hatter and bring her back to the State Reformatory for Girls.
(c) To speak with the Police Chief who wrote him.
(d) To pursue the charges filed against Hatter.
3. How does Dr. Summer describe the way Hatter is kept?
(a) She is confined to a hospital bed.
(b) In a windowless room.
(c) All of these.
(d) Her entire body is bound by leather straps.
4. What does Hatter refuse to wear?
(a) Her shoes.
(b) Her glasses.
(c) Her prison dress.
(d) Her prison number.
5. Where does Dr. Summer decide to spend some time a few days after he speaks to Hatter?
(b) Los Angeles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Summer tell the Reformatory psychiatrist about Hatter Fox and Claude?
2. What risks does Dr. Summer take when talking with Hatter?
3. Why is Hatter restrained in her cell?
4. What does Hatter do when Dr. Summer attempts to talk to her?
5. What does Mango show Dr. Summer in his cottage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dr. Summer surprised at what happens after Hatter's screaming fit?
2. Why are Rhinehart's comments to Hatter especially hurtful to her? Based on what you have read, are Rhinehart's comments a surprise?
3. What evidence does Dr. Summer have that Hatter has been sexually abused? Based on what you have read in the book, is it reasonable to think Claude is the culprit?
4. How does Dr. Summer first meet Hatter? What is she doing?
5. How does Dr. Summer react to the small piece of history that Hatter shares with him on Christmas Eve?
6. How does Dr. Summer react to Hatter's death?
7. In what perspective is Hatter Fox told? What does this mean for the reader?
8. Why does Dr. Summer choose to leave the Reformatory?
9. Why is Hatter tied up and kept next to the body of a crushed girl? How does this make Dr. Summer feel?
10. How does Hatter react to the ritual that Rhinehart and Dr. Summer perform in the infirmary? How does Dr. Summer react?
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)