|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the head of the Reformatory?
(a) Dr. George Winton.
(b) Dr. Thomas Levering.
(c) Dr. Tanya Levory
(d) Dr. George Washington.
2. What does Mango do to help Dr. Summer get settled?
(a) Neither of these.
(b) Both of these.
(c) Mango shares the rules with Dr. Summer.
(d) Mango makes Dr. Summer's bed.
3. How does Dr. Summer describe the way Hatter is kept?
(a) She is confined to a hospital bed.
(b) In a windowless room.
(c) All of these.
(d) Her entire body is bound by leather straps.
4. What information does Dr. Summer use to form his initial opinion of Hatter?
(a) What he hears from other people.
(b) Her medical files.
(c) His first meeting with her.
(d) Information from her parents.
5. What does Dr. Summer request for Hatter after lunchtime?
(a) Warm water.
(b) Neither of these.
(c) Both of these.
(d) A clean dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the psychiatrist say Dr. Summer can see Hatter?
2. What does Hatter refuse to wear?
3. Why does Dr. Summer beg Hatter to eat lunch in her cell?
4. How does Hatter react to Dr. Summer when he offers her something to drink?
5. How does Hatter react to Dr. Summer treating her skin abrasions?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the administrators react to the attack on Hatter? How does Dr. Summer react?
2. How does Hatter surprise Dr. Summer the night he returns to the reformatory? How does Dr. Summer feel about the occurrence?
3. What are the conditions under which Dr. Summer comes back to the Reformatory? What does he bring back with him and why?
4. What is waiting for Dr. Summer when he arrives back home from recovering at his friend's house?
5. Why are Hatter and Dr. Summer allowed to stay and work in the infirmary? How does Hatter respond to this change?
6. What does Hatter's tale of the old woman ghost demonstrate to Dr. Summer?
7. How does the local Navajo group at the University hurt Hatter? Why does it hurt her?
8. How does Hatter react to the ritual that Rhinehart and Dr. Summer perform in the infirmary? How does Dr. Summer react?
9. How do Dr. Levering and Dr. Winton convince Dr. Summer to help Hatter? What really convinces Dr. Summer?
10. Why is Hatter forced to leave her first job in Santa Fe? What theme does this follow in the book?
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)