|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Summer request for Hatter after lunchtime?
(a) Both of these.
(b) Warm water.
(c) Neither of these.
(d) A clean dress.
2. From whose perspective is this story written?
(a) Hatter's mother.
(b) Dr. Summer.
(c) Hatter Fox.
(d) A narrator's point of view.
3. Why does Dr. Summer beg Hatter to eat lunch in her cell?
(a) Both of these.
(b) He is afraid she will not be brought food after he leaves.
(c) He is afraid she is trying to starve herself.
(d) Neither of these.
4. What does Mango do to help Dr. Summer get settled?
(a) Neither of these.
(b) Mango shares the rules with Dr. Summer.
(c) Both of these.
(d) Mango makes Dr. Summer's bed.
5. What causes Dr. Summer not to return to Santa Fe?
(a) His car breaks down.
(b) Hatter gets into a fight.
(c) Hatter attempts escape again.
(d) An ice storm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dr. Summer go to the jail after being released from the hospital?
2. Why is Dr. Summer called back to the Reformatory after meeting with Hatter?
3. During what time period does this story take place?
4. In broad terms, what is this story about?
5. What does Dr. Summer believe is killing Hatter Fox?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence does the reader have that Hatter Fox is clever and strong? Is there evidence that she is criminal and hopeless?
2. Why are Hatter and Dr. Summer allowed to stay and work in the infirmary? How does Hatter respond to this change?
3. What evidence does Dr. Summer have that Hatter has been sexually abused? Based on what you have read in the book, is it reasonable to think Claude is the culprit?
4. Why is Hatter tied up and kept next to the body of a crushed girl? How does this make Dr. Summer feel?
5. How does Dr. Summer react to the small piece of history that Hatter shares with him on Christmas Eve?
6. What does Mango show Dr. Summer when she is helping him move into his guest cottage at the Reformatory? Why?
7. What story does Dr. Summer tell Rhinehart in the infirmary? Why is it important?
8. What happens when Dr. Summer enters the jail cell with Hatter and the wounded boy?
9. How do the administrators react to the attack on Hatter? How does Dr. Summer react?
10. Why is Hatter forced to leave her first job in Santa Fe? What theme does this follow in the book?
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)