|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mango show Dr. Summer in his cottage?
(a) The bruises one of the guards inflicted on her.
(b) A scar from her childhood.
(c) The necklace her mother gave her.
(d) A scar from a slash Hatter inflicted on her.
2. How does the psychiatrist explain Hatter's extreme punishment?
(a) She had injured another inmate.
(b) She had attempted to escape.
(c) All of these.
(d) She had slashed twelve mattresses the day before.
3. To what Indian tribe does Hatter Fox belong?
4. What risks does Dr. Summer take when talking with Hatter?
(a) Both of these.
(b) He asks to be alone with her.
(c) Neither of these.
(d) He undoes the straps that hold her to the bed.
5. Why is the psychiatrist disappointed by Dr. Summer?
(a) He thought Dr. Summer knew Hatter better.
(b) He was hoping to get more information from Dr. Summer on Hatter.
(c) All of these.
(d) Dr. Summer's only interaction with Hatter was when she stabbed him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the letters ask of Dr. Summer?
2. Where does Dr. Summer go after leaving the Reformatory?
3. What does Dr. Summer tell Hatter before leaving?
4. On what documents is the story based or built from?
5. Where is Hatter when Dr. Summer sees her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Hatter and Dr. Summer allowed to stay and work in the infirmary? How does Hatter respond to this change?
2. How does Dr. Summer react to Hatter's death?
3. Why are Rhinehart's comments to Hatter especially hurtful to her? Based on what you have read, are Rhinehart's comments a surprise?
4. Why does Hatter go with Dr. Summer toward the end of the book? Why does he end up taking her?
5. Why does Dr. Summer spend a day with Mango?
6. Why is Dr. Summer surprised at what happens after Hatter's screaming fit?
7. Why is Hatter forced to leave her first job in Santa Fe? What theme does this follow in the book?
8. How is Dr. Summer able to relate to Hatter better than anyone else is?
9. What does Dr. Summer do to try to improve Hatter's life in the Reformatory?
10. In what perspective is Hatter Fox told? What does this mean for the reader?
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)