|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What weapon does Hatter use to injure Dr. Summer?
(a) A syringe.
(b) A pen.
(c) A knife.
(d) A pipe.
2. Who summons Mango to help Dr. Summer settle into his new cottage?
(a) Dr. Winton.
(b) Dr. Levering.
(c) Dr. Levory.
(d) Dr. Levitt.
3. In broad terms, what is this story about?
(b) All of the above.
4. What information does Dr. Summer use to form his initial opinion of Hatter?
(a) Information from her parents.
(b) What he hears from other people.
(c) His first meeting with her.
(d) Her medical files.
5. What does Dr. Summer learn when he returns to the Reformatory?
(a) Hatter is asking for Dr. Summer.
(b) Hatter's sentence at the Reformatory has been extended.
(c) Hatter is being transferred to the state hospital.
(d) Hatter is still refusing to cooperate or speak.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mango show Dr. Summer in his cottage?
2. What does Dr. Summer offer Hatter in her cell?
3. Who does Dr. Summer stay with while he is gone?
4. How does the psychiatrist explain Hatter's extreme punishment?
5. What do the letters ask of Dr. Summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the conditions under which Dr. Summer comes back to the Reformatory? What does he bring back with him and why?
2. What does Mango show Dr. Summer when she is helping him move into his guest cottage at the Reformatory? Why?
3. Why does Hatter go with Dr. Summer toward the end of the book? Why does he end up taking her?
4. How does Dr. Summer feel about leaving the Reformatory? How does Rhinehart feel about his leaving?
5. How does Hatter respond to Dr. Summer when he attempts to speak with her the first time? Why?
6. How does Dr. Summer react to Hatter's death?
7. What does Dr. Summer see outside of Dr. Levering's window? How does he react?
8. Why does Dr. Summer spend a day with Mango?
9. Why does Rhinehart tell Hatter the story about the witch? What purpose does it serve?
10. Why has Dr. Levering called Dr. Summer to the State Reformatory? What problem does this pose?
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)