|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what documents is the story based or built from?
(a) None of these.
(b) Dr. Summer's notebooks and notes on Hatter.
(c) Hatter's diary.
(d) The clinic files on Hatter along with Dr. Summer's brief interactions with her.
2. What weapon does Hatter use to injure Dr. Summer?
(a) A pen.
(b) A pipe.
(c) A syringe.
(d) A knife.
3. During what time period does this story take place?
(a) The early 1980s.
(b) The mid 1960s.
(c) The early 1970s.
(d) The late 1980s.
4. When does the psychiatrist say Dr. Summer can see Hatter?
(a) The next day.
(b) The following week.
(c) He says Dr. Summer cannot see Hatter.
(d) That afternoon.
5. Where does Dr. Summer want to stay, if he comes back to the Reformatory?
(a) In Hatter's cell.
(b) At the local hotel.
(c) In the cell next to Hatter.
(d) In the guest cottage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of <i>Hatter Fox</i>?
2. What leads Dr. Summer to believe that Hatter has been sexually assaulted while in solitary confinement?
3. How old is Hatter Fox at the beginning of the story?
4. What year does Dr. Summer meet Hatter Fox?
5. Why does Dr. Summer call the psychiatrist at the Reformatory?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Rhinehart's comments to Hatter especially hurtful to her? Based on what you have read, are Rhinehart's comments a surprise?
2. How does the local Navajo group at the University hurt Hatter? Why does it hurt her?
3. What does Dr. Summer do when he visits Hatter in her cell at the Reformatory? Why is this surprising?
4. What does Dr. Summer do to try to improve Hatter's life in the Reformatory?
5. How does Dr. Levering feel about Dr. Summer's presence at the Reformatory? Why?
6. What is waiting for Dr. Summer when he arrives back home from recovering at his friend's house?
7. Why does Rhinehart tell Hatter the story about the witch? What purpose does it serve?
8. What does Mango show Dr. Summer when she is helping him move into his guest cottage at the Reformatory? Why?
9. How does Hatter respond to Dr. Summer when he attempts to speak with her the first time? Why?
10. What happens between Dr. Summer and Hatter when Hatter's lunch is brought to her? Why?
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)