|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Summer think he sees outside in the facility courtyard?
(a) An animal locked in a pen in the freezing rain.
(b) A dead animal in a pen in the freezing rain.
(c) Inmates being transferred from one building to another in the freezing rain without shoes.
(d) Inmates hanging laundry in the freezing rain.
2. What does Mango do to help Dr. Summer get settled?
(a) Mango shares the rules with Dr. Summer.
(b) Neither of these.
(c) Both of these.
(d) Mango makes Dr. Summer's bed.
3. What does the Reformatory psychiatrist tell Dr. Summer is the only way Hatter will leave the basement early?
(a) She will never leave the basement early.
(b) If she is sick enough to go to the infirmary.
(c) If she is transferred to the state hospital.
(d) If she starts speaking and eating.
4. What does Hatter refuse to wear?
(a) Her shoes.
(b) Her prison number.
(c) Her prison dress.
(d) Her glasses.
5. What risks does Dr. Summer take when talking with Hatter?
(a) Both of these.
(b) He undoes the straps that hold her to the bed.
(c) Neither of these.
(d) He asks to be alone with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dr. Summer go to the jail after being released from the hospital?
2. Who is the author of <i>Hatter Fox</i>?
3. Who believes putting the girls in the "dog house" is an effective punishment?
4. What does Dr. Summer do in Hatter's cell while she sleeps?
5. Where does Dr. Summer want to stay, if he comes back to the Reformatory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Summer help Hatter do once they are in Santa Fe?
2. Why does Hatter go with Dr. Summer toward the end of the book? Why does he end up taking her?
3. Why is Hatter tied up and kept next to the body of a crushed girl? How does this make Dr. Summer feel?
4. What happens to break Hatter's calm demeanor and the pleasant mood during Christmas Eve dinner?
5. How do the administrators react to the attack on Hatter? How does Dr. Summer react?
6. What kind of success do Rhinehart, Dr. Summer, and Hatter have in the infirmary? Why?
7. What evidence does the reader have that Hatter Fox is clever and strong? Is there evidence that she is criminal and hopeless?
8. Why is Hatter forced to leave her first job in Santa Fe? What theme does this follow in the book?
9. What evidence does Dr. Summer have that Hatter has been sexually abused? Based on what you have read in the book, is it reasonable to think Claude is the culprit?
10. How does Hatter respond to Dr. Summer when he attempts to speak with her the first time? Why?
This section contains 1,222 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)