|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hatter directing the other young people in the room to do while Dr. Summer is there?
(a) She has them in two single-file rows, marching.
(b) She has them doing a ritualistic dance.
(c) She has them in three single-file rows, marching in place.
(d) She has them in one line, jogging in place.
2. Why does Dr. Summer call the psychiatrist at the Reformatory?
(a) He wants to come back and help Hatter, on one condition.
(b) He wants to know if the psychiatrist will allow him back, under any condition.
(c) He wants to know that Hatter will be cared for now that he is gone.
(d) He wants the psychiatrist to know how he feels about the Reformatory.
3. Why does Dr. Summer go to the jail after being released from the hospital?
(a) To check on Hatter's wounds and her progress.
(b) To press charges against Hatter.
(c) None of these.
(d) To see Hatter face-to-face.
4. How does Hatter react to Dr. Summer when he offers her something to drink?
(a) She is completely unresponsive at first.
(b) She attacks him again.
(c) She listens and speaks to him softly.
(d) She yells at him to leave her alone.
5. What does Hatter smear on her face and clothes when Dr. Summer meets her?
(b) None of these.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whose perspective is this story written?
2. When does Dr. Summer call the psychiatrist at the Reformatory?
3. What does the Reformatory psychiatrist tell Dr. Summer is the only way Hatter will leave the basement early?
4. What does Dr. Summer learn when he returns to the Reformatory?
5. Where is Hatter kept at the Reformatory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about the dinner that Rhinehart, Hatter, and Dr. Summer share on Christmas Eve?
2. What does Dr. Summer consider a breakthrough with Hatter? Why?
3. Why does Dr. Levering decide it would be good for Hatter to eat lunch in the cafeteria? What happens?
4. Why is Dr. Summer called back to the Reformatory after Hatter attacks him?
5. What happens between Dr. Summer and Hatter when Hatter's lunch is brought to her? Why?
6. Why is Hatter visibly nervous about being at the diner near the University?
7. What story does Dr. Summer tell Rhinehart in the infirmary? Why is it important?
8. Why does Dr. Summer spend a day with Mango?
9. What does Dr. Summer help Hatter do once they are in Santa Fe?
10. Why has Dr. Levering called Dr. Summer to the State Reformatory? What problem does this pose?
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)