|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Rhinehart when she ran away from school?
2. Who escorts Dr. Summer to his cottage to collect his things?
3. What city did Rhinehart go to when she ran away?
(b) New York.
4. How does Hatter react to Rhinehart's story about Claude?
(a) She lashes out at Rhinehart and Dr. Summer.
(b) She becomes frantic, and then passes out.
(c) She calms down and falls asleep.
(d) She becomes frantic and tries to escape the infirmary.
5. When does Dr. Summer really intend to return to the Reformatory after checking on his home?
(a) He plans to come back as he promised.
(b) He does not really plan to leave. He is trying to surprise Hatter and Rhinehart.
(c) He plans to return a few days after promised.
(d) He is not sure he will return.
6. Who was Hatter left with as a small child?
(a) An elderly man who put her to work.
(b) An elderly woman who died.
(c) An elderly man who died.
(d) An elderly woman who abused her.
7. How does Hatter ask Dr. Summer to help her as he is leaving her room?
(a) She asks him to let her out of the straight jacket.
(b) She asks him to kill her.
(c) She asks him to help her escape.
(d) She asks him to help her get better.
8. How many days after visiting the hospital does the woman die?
(a) Two days.
(b) One day.
(c) Three days.
(d) Four days.
9. Who is actually guilty of pushing someone off the cliff?
(a) Another young girl in the village.
(b) The farmer's wife.
(c) The shepherd boy.
(d) The shepherd boy's brother.
10. What ends Hatter, Rhinehart, and Dr. Summer's evening?
(a) Dr. Summer urging Hatter to talk about her past.
(b) Rhinehart is called to the infirmary.
(c) Hatter lashes out at the other two.
(d) Rhinehart's comment that Hatter looks "almost human."
11. How does Claude react when Dr. Summer asks him to open the door?
(a) He refuses to open the door.
(b) He refuses at first, because it is against the rules, but finally opens the door.
(c) He opens the door immediately, helping Dr. Summer.
(d) He hesitantly lets Dr. Summer out, but refuses to let Hatter out.
12. Who is working in the infirmary with Dr. Summer and Rhinehart?
13. Where did Rhinehart grow up?
(b) New Jersey.
14. What does Rhinehart say about the marks on Hatter's body after removing her dress?
(a) They were the source of her illness.
(b) They are consistent with those found on most girls held in solitary.
(c) They are not consistent with those found on most girls held in solitary.
(d) The marks were very unusual and must be self-inflicted.
15. What does Dr. Summer find in Rhinehart's apartment when he returns to the Reformatory?
(a) The smells of a delicious holiday dinner.
(b) All of these.
(c) A table set and candles lit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rhinehart give to Hatter after dinner?
2. What is done with the items taken from Claude?
3. How does Dr. Summer get Claude to let him release Hatter from the hospital bed?
4. Why does Dr. Summer consider returning to the Reformatory early with Hatter?
5. Who defends Hatter and Dr. Summer to the Reformatory administrators?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)