|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who spends the day with Mango, trying to make her feel better?
(a) Dr. Summer.
2. What does Rhinehart offer Dr. Summer at the end of their dinner?
(a) A cup of coffee.
(b) Her journal.
(c) An extra blanket.
(d) A pair of flannel pajamas.
3. What does Rhinehart give to Hatter after dinner?
(a) Some hair ribbons and a necklace of terra cotta beads.
(b) Some hair ribbons and a new watch.
(c) Some barrettes and a simple gold chain necklace.
(d) Some headbands and a bracelet of terra cotta beads.
4. What is done with the items taken from Claude?
(a) They are given to Hatter.
(b) They are DNA tested.
(c) They are burned in front of Hatter as part of a ritual.
(d) They are sent to the police.
5. How does Dr. Summer react to the stories that Hatter shares with him?
(a) He is almost paralyzed by what Hatter tells him.
(b) Both of these.
(c) Neither of these.
(d) He tries to improve her life the best he can.
6. What does Dr. Summer realize about Hatter through the stories she tells?
(a) Hatter is caught between her Navajo heritage and the white world she is not equipped to function in.
(b) Hatter is not who Dr. Summer once thought she was.
(c) All of these.
(d) She has created an elaborate web of stories to protect herself.
7. Why does Dr. Summer want to keep his return quiet?
(a) Because he is embarrassed about having left in the first place.
(b) So the other girls will not make trouble over his attention to Hatter.
(c) So that the head of the Reformatory will not know he is back.
(d) So that Hatter will not know he has returned.
8. What city did Rhinehart go to when she ran away?
(a) New York.
9. What does Rhinehart tell Hatter about Dr. Summer?
(a) He is not to be trusted.
(b) He is not the witch that hurt her.
(c) Dr. Summer is an angel sent to protect her.
(d) Dr. Summer is there to battle the witch, who is the Reformatory psychiatrist.
10. Who was Hatter accused of pushing off a cliff?
(a) The shepherd boy's brother.
(b) The shepherd boy's sister.
(c) A young girl.
(d) The farmer's daughter.
11. How does Hatter ask Dr. Summer to help her as he is leaving her room?
(a) She asks him to kill her.
(b) She asks him to let her out of the straight jacket.
(c) She asks him to help her get better.
(d) She asks him to help her escape.
12. When does Dr. Summer promise to return to the Reformatory when he leaves to check on his home?
(a) The next day.
(b) The following week.
(c) As soon as he can.
(d) Later that same day.
13. Who does not want to see Mango released?
(b) Dr. Summer.
(c) The Reformatory's matron.
14. What does Dr. Summer say the Indian woman in his story taught him?
(a) The powerlessness of modern medicine.
(b) The power of Indian culture and beliefs.
(c) That he still has much to learn about the Indian culture, because he is in way over his head.
(d) The power of love.
15. What does Dr. Summer help Rhinehart treat in the infirmary?
(a) Minor illnesses.
(c) All of these.
(d) Menstrual cramps.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Hatter left with as a small child?
2. How does Hatter react to Rhinehart's story about Claude?
3. Why does Dr. Summer know he will return to the Reformatory?
4. Who does Hatter say led her toward the mountains after her caretaker died?
5. Why does Dr. Summer consider returning to the Reformatory early with Hatter?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)