|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hatter react when Dr. Summer asks her to eat after releasing her from the hospital bed?
(a) She stares at him, but does not eat or speak.
(b) She quickly and quietly eats her entire lunch.
(c) She does not respond.
(d) She tells him to leave her alone. She is sick.
2. What does Rhinehart tell Dr. Summer about the story he has just shared with Hatter?
(a) Hatter believes she has been poisoned by Claude.
(b) Hatter believes a witch is making her sick.
(c) None of these.
(d) Hatter is being abused by Claude, and this is the story she has created in her head.
3. Why does Claude strap Hatter to the hospital bed the morning after Dr. Summer returns?
(a) She attacked him when he brought her breakfast.
(b) She attempted to escape during the night.
(c) He does not give a reason for this treatment.
(d) She did not eat enough the day before to warrant bypassing being fed intravenously.
4. What does Dr. Summer find in Rhinehart's apartment when he returns to the Reformatory?
(a) All of these.
(b) A table set and candles lit.
(c) The smells of a delicious holiday dinner.
5. Who is actually guilty of pushing someone off the cliff?
(a) The shepherd boy's brother.
(b) The shepherd boy.
(c) The farmer's wife.
(d) Another young girl in the village.
6. How old was Rhinehart when she ran away from school?
7. Who was Hatter accused of pushing off a cliff?
(a) The shepherd boy's sister.
(b) A young girl.
(c) The shepherd boy's brother.
(d) The farmer's daughter.
8. Who has been moved to the infirmary indefinitely?
9. Where did Rhinehart grow up?
(b) New Jersey.
10. What does Dr. Summer help Rhinehart treat in the infirmary?
(a) Minor illnesses.
(b) Menstrual cramps.
(c) All of these.
11. How does the winter progress with Hatter, Rhinehart, and Dr. Summer working together?
(d) With difficulties.
12. How does Dr. Summer get Claude to let him release Hatter from the hospital bed?
(a) He tells him that if Hatter is to live, she needs real food.
(b) He tells him that a person can live by intravenous feeding for only a short time.
(c) All of these.
(d) He appeals to Claude's fear for his job.
13. What does Rhinehart tell Hatter about Claude?
(a) He is the witch who has hurt her.
(b) He made the corpse poison and shot it under her door.
(c) The wound on her head is where his poison entered her.
(d) All of these.
14. What city did Rhinehart go to when she ran away?
(a) New York.
15. What does Dr. Summer realize about Hatter through the stories she tells?
(a) Hatter is not who Dr. Summer once thought she was.
(b) All of these.
(c) Hatter is caught between her Navajo heritage and the white world she is not equipped to function in.
(d) She has created an elaborate web of stories to protect herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Hatter sent after being accused of pushing someone off the cliff?
2. Who does Hatter say led her toward the mountains after her caretaker died?
3. Where does Dr. Summer take Hatter for lunch in the chapter, "Hatter's History"?
4. When does Dr. Summer return to Santa Fe to check on his home?
5. Who defends Hatter and Dr. Summer to the Reformatory administrators?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)