|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hatter stand over Mango with in the middle of the night?
(a) A pillow.
(b) A gun.
(c) A scalpel.
(d) A knife.
2. When does Dr. Summer promise to return to the Reformatory when he leaves to check on his home?
(a) As soon as he can.
(b) Later that same day.
(c) The next day.
(d) The following week.
3. What causes Dr. Summer to panic when he returns to the reformatory?
(a) Hatter is missing from her room.
(b) He finds out Hatter is chained to a bed in solitary confinement.
(c) Hatter has been in a fight with Rhinehart.
(d) Hatter has been in a fight with some of the other girls.
4. What does Rhinehart offer Dr. Summer at the end of their dinner?
(a) An extra blanket.
(b) Her journal.
(c) A cup of coffee.
(d) A pair of flannel pajamas.
5. How does Dr. Summer feel once he returns home?
(a) He is in a surprisingly good mood, feeling the holiday spirit.
(b) His mood is unpredictable and erratic.
(c) His mood is bleak.
(d) He is relieved to be away from the Reformatory.
6. What does Rhinehart tell Hatter about Dr. Summer?
(a) Dr. Summer is there to battle the witch, who is the Reformatory psychiatrist.
(b) He is not to be trusted.
(c) Dr. Summer is an angel sent to protect her.
(d) He is not the witch that hurt her.
7. Why does Claude strap Hatter to the hospital bed the morning after Dr. Summer returns?
(a) He does not give a reason for this treatment.
(b) She did not eat enough the day before to warrant bypassing being fed intravenously.
(c) She attacked him when he brought her breakfast.
(d) She attempted to escape during the night.
8. What happens to Mango the day she is scheduled to be released?
(a) She is injured in a fight.
(b) She has bronchitis.
(c) She in injured in a fall.
(d) She is sick with the flu.
9. Why does Hatter want to kill Mango in her sleep?
(a) Mango was the one hurting Hatter when she was in solitary.
(b) Mango and Hatter have fought in the past, outside of the Reformatory.
(c) Mango has been a prostitute in the past.
(d) Mango has threatened Hatter.
10. When does Dr. Summer return to Santa Fe to check on his home?
(b) Christmas Day.
(d) Christmas Eve.
11. Where did Rhinehart grow up?
(d) New Jersey.
12. What does Dr. Summer find in Rhinehart's apartment when he returns to the Reformatory?
(a) The smells of a delicious holiday dinner.
(b) All of these.
(c) A table set and candles lit.
13. What does Dr. Summer say the Indian woman in his story taught him?
(a) The power of Indian culture and beliefs.
(b) The power of love.
(c) That he still has much to learn about the Indian culture, because he is in way over his head.
(d) The powerlessness of modern medicine.
14. Why does Rhinehart warn Dr. Summer against taking Hatter out for the day?
(a) The girls are sometimes uncomfortable outside of the Reformatory.
(b) Hatter may try to run away from him.
(c) She will not want to return to the Reformatory after having such a great day in the real world.
(d) Not to let Hatter convince him to let her free.
15. Why does Dr. Summer know he will return to the Reformatory?
(a) Because there are people there who need him.
(b) Because his home is lonely.
(c) Neither of these.
(d) Both of these.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dr. Summer take Hatter for lunch in the chapter, "Hatter's History"?
2. Why does Dr. Summer consider returning to the Reformatory early with Hatter?
3. Who was Hatter left with as a small child?
4. How many days after visiting the hospital does the woman die?
5. Who is working in the infirmary with Dr. Summer and Rhinehart?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)