|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Claude react when Dr. Summer asks him to open the door?
(a) He opens the door immediately, helping Dr. Summer.
(b) He refuses at first, because it is against the rules, but finally opens the door.
(c) He hesitantly lets Dr. Summer out, but refuses to let Hatter out.
(d) He refuses to open the door.
2. How does Hatter treat Dr. Summer when she sees him upon his return?
(a) With silent gratitude.
(b) With anger and threats.
(c) With a small, quiet smile.
(d) With silent hostility.
3. What does Rhinehart tell Hatter about Claude?
(a) He made the corpse poison and shot it under her door.
(b) All of these.
(c) The wound on her head is where his poison entered her.
(d) He is the witch who has hurt her.
4. Why does Dr. Summer know he will return to the Reformatory?
(a) Because his home is lonely.
(b) Both of these.
(c) Because there are people there who need him.
(d) Neither of these.
5. How does Hatter feel about Dr. Summer now that he has returned?
(a) She is suspicious as to why he wants to help her.
(b) She begs him to leave her alone.
(c) Both of these.
(d) Neither of these.
6. When does Dr. Summer promise to return to the Reformatory when he leaves to check on his home?
(a) The following week.
(b) As soon as he can.
(c) Later that same day.
(d) The next day.
7. How does Hatter react when Dr. Summer asks her to eat after releasing her from the hospital bed?
(a) She quickly and quietly eats her entire lunch.
(b) She does not respond.
(c) She tells him to leave her alone. She is sick.
(d) She stares at him, but does not eat or speak.
8. Why did Rhinehart come to Arizona?
(a) To care for the terminally ill poor.
(b) To care for elderly persons without families.
(c) To care for a terminally ill, wealthy patient.
(d) To be the private nurse of a wealthy patient who died unexpectedly.
9. What does Hatter reveal to Dr. Summer about the diner where they stopped?
(a) She was afraid someone in the diner would recognize her.
(b) All of these.
(c) She had made a lot of money prostituting for the college boys in the area.
(d) She had been a prostitute and worked the corner near the diner.
10. Why does Dr. Summer consider returning to the Reformatory early with Hatter?
(a) Because she states over and over that she does not want to be out.
(b) Because she is clearly uncomfortable riding in his Jeep.
(c) Because she is visibly angry.
(d) Because she has started crying.
11. What does Dr. Summer tell Hatter after she shares part of her past with him?
(a) All of these.
(b) He counsels her on what to do to be released from the Reformatory in the Spring
(c) He counsels her to cooperate.
(d) He counsels her to behave.
12. What does Dr. Summer tell Hatter to do with the weapon she held over Mango in the middle of the night?
(a) None of these.
(b) Kill herself and save the state the time and money.
(c) Stab a pillow to take out some frustration.
(d) Put it away.
13. Whose attention does the new efficiency of the infirmary gain?
(a) Other Reformatories.
(b) The State Hospital.
(c) The administration.
(d) The inmates.
14. What upsets Hatter while she, Dr. Summer, and Rhinehart are talking in the chapter "Settling In"?
(a) Dr. Summer urges her to remember any possible details from her past.
(b) Rhinehart makes a terrible comment about Hatter looking "almost human."
(c) Neither of these.
(d) Both of these.
15. Who takes Hatter to his home in the woods?
(a) A farmer.
(b) None of these.
(c) A goat herder.
(d) A shepherd boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hatter react to Rhinehart's story about Claude?
2. What does Rhinehart give to Hatter after dinner?
3. Where does Dr. Summer take Hatter for lunch in the chapter, "Hatter's History"?
4. What causes Dr. Summer to panic when he returns to the reformatory?
5. When does Dr. Summer return to Santa Fe to check on his home?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)