|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is done with the items taken from Claude?
(a) They are sent to the police.
(b) They are burned in front of Hatter as part of a ritual.
(c) They are given to Hatter.
(d) They are DNA tested.
2. Why does Dr. Summer tell Claude to open Hatter's door?
(a) So he can escape Hatter's attack.
(b) So he can leave Hatter alone as she has requested.
(c) So he can carry the unconscious Hatter to the infirmary.
(d) So he can help her walk to the infirmary and get some scratches on her arm treated.
3. How many days after visiting the hospital does the woman die?
(a) Four days.
(b) Two days.
(c) One day.
(d) Three days.
4. How does Dr. Summer get Claude to let him release Hatter from the hospital bed?
(a) He appeals to Claude's fear for his job.
(b) He tells him that if Hatter is to live, she needs real food.
(c) He tells him that a person can live by intravenous feeding for only a short time.
(d) All of these.
5. How does Hatter react to Rhinehart's story about Claude?
(a) She becomes frantic and tries to escape the infirmary.
(b) She lashes out at Rhinehart and Dr. Summer.
(c) She becomes frantic, and then passes out.
(d) She calms down and falls asleep.
6. Who spends the day with Mango, trying to make her feel better?
(c) Dr. Summer.
7. Why does the Indian woman in Dr. Summer's story die?
(a) Out of embarrassment.
(b) Out of grief.
(c) All of these.
(d) Her husband died.
8. Who is there to greet Dr. Summer when he returns?
(d) Dr. Levering.
9. When does Dr. Summer really intend to return to the Reformatory after checking on his home?
(a) He is not sure he will return.
(b) He does not really plan to leave. He is trying to surprise Hatter and Rhinehart.
(c) He plans to return a few days after promised.
(d) He plans to come back as he promised.
10. Why does Hatter want to kill Mango in her sleep?
(a) Mango and Hatter have fought in the past, outside of the Reformatory.
(b) Mango has been a prostitute in the past.
(c) Mango was the one hurting Hatter when she was in solitary.
(d) Mango has threatened Hatter.
11. Who takes Hatter to his home in the woods?
(a) None of these.
(b) A goat herder.
(c) A shepherd boy.
(d) A farmer.
12. What does Rhinehart find on Hatter's head?
(b) A gash.
(c) A bump.
(d) A scar.
13. What part of her past does Hatter tell Dr. Summer about after dinner that night?
(a) The time she spent with an elderly woman.
(b) The time she spent at a Christian Mission.
(c) Her life with her parents.
(d) The time she spent in an orphanage.
14. What do Dr. Summer and Rhinehart have for dinner in her apartment?
(a) Pizza and beer.
(b) TV dinners and soda.
(c) Meatloaf and warm milk.
(d) Cold chicken and beer.
15. Whose attention does the new efficiency of the infirmary gain?
(a) The administration.
(b) The inmates.
(c) The State Hospital.
(d) Other Reformatories.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Claude react when Dr. Summer asks him to open the door?
2. What upsets Hatter while she, Dr. Summer, and Rhinehart are talking in the chapter "Settling In"?
3. What does Dr. Summer realize about Hatter through the stories she tells?
4. How does Hatter react when Dr. Summer asks her to eat after releasing her from the hospital bed?
5. What does Dr. Summer say the Indian woman in his story taught him?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)