|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hatter ask Dr. Summer to help her as he is leaving her room?
(a) She asks him to kill her.
(b) She asks him to let her out of the straight jacket.
(c) She asks him to help her get better.
(d) She asks him to help her escape.
2. What does Dr. Summer tell Hatter after she shares part of her past with him?
(a) He counsels her to cooperate.
(b) He counsels her to behave.
(c) He counsels her on what to do to be released from the Reformatory in the Spring
(d) All of these.
3. Who is actually guilty of pushing someone off the cliff?
(a) The shepherd boy's brother.
(b) Another young girl in the village.
(c) The shepherd boy.
(d) The farmer's wife.
4. What does Rhinehart tell Dr. Summer about the story he has just shared with Hatter?
(a) Hatter is being abused by Claude, and this is the story she has created in her head.
(b) Hatter believes she has been poisoned by Claude.
(c) None of these.
(d) Hatter believes a witch is making her sick.
5. How many days after visiting the hospital does the woman die?
(a) Three days.
(b) Two days.
(c) Four days.
(d) One day.
6. Where does Dr. Summer take Hatter for lunch in the chapter, "Hatter's History"?
(a) Both of these.
(b) Neither of these.
(c) A diner near the Reformatory.
(d) A diner near the University.
7. What does Dr. Summer realize about Hatter through the stories she tells?
(a) All of these.
(b) Hatter is caught between her Navajo heritage and the white world she is not equipped to function in.
(c) Hatter is not who Dr. Summer once thought she was.
(d) She has created an elaborate web of stories to protect herself.
8. How does Hatter feel about Dr. Summer now that he has returned?
(a) She is suspicious as to why he wants to help her.
(b) Both of these.
(c) She begs him to leave her alone.
(d) Neither of these.
9. How does the winter progress with Hatter, Rhinehart, and Dr. Summer working together?
(b) With difficulties.
10. Where will Dr. Summer be staying now that he is not staying in the cell next to Hatter?
(a) Off the Reformatory grounds.
(b) None of these.
(c) The guest cottage.
(d) The infirmary.
11. What ends Hatter, Rhinehart, and Dr. Summer's evening?
(a) Rhinehart's comment that Hatter looks "almost human."
(b) Rhinehart is called to the infirmary.
(c) Hatter lashes out at the other two.
(d) Dr. Summer urging Hatter to talk about her past.
12. What does Rhinehart tell Hatter about Claude?
(a) He made the corpse poison and shot it under her door.
(b) He is the witch who has hurt her.
(c) The wound on her head is where his poison entered her.
(d) All of these.
13. Who is working in the infirmary with Dr. Summer and Rhinehart?
14. When does Dr. Summer return to Santa Fe to check on his home?
(b) Christmas Day.
(d) Christmas Eve.
15. What does Hatter stand over Mango with in the middle of the night?
(a) A scalpel.
(b) A knife.
(c) A pillow.
(d) A gun.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Hatter left with as a small child?
2. Why does Dr. Summer know he will return to the Reformatory?
3. Why does Rhinehart warn Dr. Summer against taking Hatter out for the day?
4. Why does Dr. Summer consider returning to the Reformatory early with Hatter?
5. What does Rhinehart find on Hatter's head?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)