|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What upsets Hatter while she, Dr. Summer, and Rhinehart are talking in the chapter "Settling In"?
(a) Dr. Summer urges her to remember any possible details from her past.
(b) Neither of these.
(c) Rhinehart makes a terrible comment about Hatter looking "almost human."
(d) Both of these.
2. How does Hatter react when Dr. Summer asks her to eat after releasing her from the hospital bed?
(a) She does not respond.
(b) She stares at him, but does not eat or speak.
(c) She quickly and quietly eats her entire lunch.
(d) She tells him to leave her alone. She is sick.
3. When does Dr. Summer really intend to return to the Reformatory after checking on his home?
(a) He plans to come back as he promised.
(b) He plans to return a few days after promised.
(c) He is not sure he will return.
(d) He does not really plan to leave. He is trying to surprise Hatter and Rhinehart.
4. Why does Dr. Summer want to keep his return quiet?
(a) So the other girls will not make trouble over his attention to Hatter.
(b) So that the head of the Reformatory will not know he is back.
(c) So that Hatter will not know he has returned.
(d) Because he is embarrassed about having left in the first place.
5. Why does Hatter want to kill Mango in her sleep?
(a) Mango has been a prostitute in the past.
(b) Mango and Hatter have fought in the past, outside of the Reformatory.
(c) Mango was the one hurting Hatter when she was in solitary.
(d) Mango has threatened Hatter.
6. What does Dr. Summer tell Hatter after she shares part of her past with him?
(a) He counsels her to behave.
(b) All of these.
(c) He counsels her on what to do to be released from the Reformatory in the Spring
(d) He counsels her to cooperate.
7. What part of her past does Hatter tell Dr. Summer about after dinner that night?
(a) Her life with her parents.
(b) The time she spent at a Christian Mission.
(c) The time she spent in an orphanage.
(d) The time she spent with an elderly woman.
8. How does the winter progress with Hatter, Rhinehart, and Dr. Summer working together?
(c) With difficulties.
9. Who is working in the infirmary with Dr. Summer and Rhinehart?
10. What does Dr. Summer find in Rhinehart's apartment when he returns to the Reformatory?
(a) The smells of a delicious holiday dinner.
(b) All of these.
(c) A table set and candles lit.
11. Why does Dr. Summer tell Claude to open Hatter's door?
(a) So he can leave Hatter alone as she has requested.
(b) So he can escape Hatter's attack.
(c) So he can help her walk to the infirmary and get some scratches on her arm treated.
(d) So he can carry the unconscious Hatter to the infirmary.
12. What city did Rhinehart go to when she ran away?
(d) New York.
13. Why does Claude strap Hatter to the hospital bed the morning after Dr. Summer returns?
(a) She attacked him when he brought her breakfast.
(b) He does not give a reason for this treatment.
(c) She did not eat enough the day before to warrant bypassing being fed intravenously.
(d) She attempted to escape during the night.
14. What does Rhinehart take from Claude in his office?
(a) A snip of his hair and a section of his shirt collar.
(b) His badge and keys.
(c) A snip of his hair and a vial of blood.
(d) A snip of his hair and a clipping of his finger nails.
15. Who does not want to see Mango released?
(a) The Reformatory's matron.
(d) Dr. Summer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Dr. Summer and Rhinehart have for dinner in her apartment?
2. What ends Hatter, Rhinehart, and Dr. Summer's evening?
3. What happens to Mango the day she is scheduled to be released?
4. How is Hatter punished for pushing someone off the cliff?
5. Who is actually guilty of pushing someone off the cliff?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)