|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who escorts Dr. Summer to his cottage to collect his things?
2. How does Hatter ask Dr. Summer to help her as he is leaving her room?
(a) She asks him to help her get better.
(b) She asks him to help her escape.
(c) She asks him to let her out of the straight jacket.
(d) She asks him to kill her.
3. When does Dr. Summer promise to return to the Reformatory when he leaves to check on his home?
(a) Later that same day.
(b) As soon as he can.
(c) The following week.
(d) The next day.
4. Who was Hatter left with as a small child?
(a) An elderly woman who abused her.
(b) An elderly woman who died.
(c) An elderly man who died.
(d) An elderly man who put her to work.
5. Where is Hatter sent after being accused of pushing someone off the cliff?
(a) She is sent to the Reformatory.
(b) She is sent to the Christian Missionary School.
(c) She is sent to jail.
(d) None of these.
6. What does Rhinehart tell Hatter about Dr. Summer?
(a) He is not to be trusted.
(b) Dr. Summer is an angel sent to protect her.
(c) He is not the witch that hurt her.
(d) Dr. Summer is there to battle the witch, who is the Reformatory psychiatrist.
7. Whose attention does the new efficiency of the infirmary gain?
(a) The inmates.
(b) The administration.
(c) Other Reformatories.
(d) The State Hospital.
8. Where does Dr. Summer take Hatter for lunch in the chapter, "Hatter's History"?
(a) Both of these.
(b) Neither of these.
(c) A diner near the Reformatory.
(d) A diner near the University.
9. What does Rhinehart say about the marks on Hatter's body after removing her dress?
(a) The marks were very unusual and must be self-inflicted.
(b) They were the source of her illness.
(c) They are consistent with those found on most girls held in solitary.
(d) They are not consistent with those found on most girls held in solitary.
10. How does Hatter surprise Dr. Summer during the night he returns?
(a) She suddenly rises and threatens to hurt him again if he does not leave.
(b) None of these.
(c) She does not move, but quietly thanks him for returning.
(d) She suddenly rises and announces she needs to use the bathroom.
11. What part of her past does Hatter tell Dr. Summer about after dinner that night?
(a) The time she spent in an orphanage.
(b) The time she spent with an elderly woman.
(c) Her life with her parents.
(d) The time she spent at a Christian Mission.
12. What causes Hatter to break into screams while talking to Dr. Summer?
(a) He pushes her on why none of her friends have visited her.
(b) He asks her about her family.
(c) He asks her about her home.
(d) All of these.
13. When does Dr. Summer really intend to return to the Reformatory after checking on his home?
(a) He does not really plan to leave. He is trying to surprise Hatter and Rhinehart.
(b) He plans to come back as he promised.
(c) He is not sure he will return.
(d) He plans to return a few days after promised.
14. How old was Rhinehart when she ran away from school?
15. When does Dr. Summer return to Santa Fe to check on his home?
(a) Christmas Eve.
(b) Christmas Day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who defends Hatter and Dr. Summer to the Reformatory administrators?
2. Who was Hatter accused of pushing off a cliff?
3. What does Rhinehart give to Hatter after dinner?
4. Why does Dr. Summer tell Claude to open Hatter's door?
5. Who spends the day with Mango, trying to make her feel better?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)