|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rhinehart offer Dr. Summer at the end of their dinner?
(a) Her journal.
(b) An extra blanket.
(c) A cup of coffee.
(d) A pair of flannel pajamas.
2. Who is there to greet Dr. Summer when he returns?
(b) Dr. Levering.
3. Where is Hatter sent after being accused of pushing someone off the cliff?
(a) She is sent to the Christian Missionary School.
(b) She is sent to jail.
(c) She is sent to the Reformatory.
(d) None of these.
4. What do Dr. Summer and Rhinehart have for dinner in her apartment?
(a) Cold chicken and beer.
(b) TV dinners and soda.
(c) Meatloaf and warm milk.
(d) Pizza and beer.
5. What does Rhinehart tell Hatter about Claude?
(a) He made the corpse poison and shot it under her door.
(b) He is the witch who has hurt her.
(c) The wound on her head is where his poison entered her.
(d) All of these.
6. Why does Rhinehart warn Dr. Summer against taking Hatter out for the day?
(a) Not to let Hatter convince him to let her free.
(b) Hatter may try to run away from him.
(c) The girls are sometimes uncomfortable outside of the Reformatory.
(d) She will not want to return to the Reformatory after having such a great day in the real world.
7. How does the winter progress with Hatter, Rhinehart, and Dr. Summer working together?
(c) With difficulties.
8. How does Claude react when Dr. Summer asks him to open the door?
(a) He refuses at first, because it is against the rules, but finally opens the door.
(b) He refuses to open the door.
(c) He hesitantly lets Dr. Summer out, but refuses to let Hatter out.
(d) He opens the door immediately, helping Dr. Summer.
9. How does Hatter surprise Dr. Summer during the night he returns?
(a) She suddenly rises and announces she needs to use the bathroom.
(b) She does not move, but quietly thanks him for returning.
(c) None of these.
(d) She suddenly rises and threatens to hurt him again if he does not leave.
10. What does Dr. Summer tell Hatter after she shares part of her past with him?
(a) He counsels her to behave.
(b) He counsels her on what to do to be released from the Reformatory in the Spring
(c) All of these.
(d) He counsels her to cooperate.
11. How does Hatter ask Dr. Summer to help her as he is leaving her room?
(a) She asks him to let her out of the straight jacket.
(b) She asks him to kill her.
(c) She asks him to help her escape.
(d) She asks him to help her get better.
12. Who does Hatter say led her toward the mountains after her caretaker died?
(a) The old woman's ghost.
(b) A young boy she did not know.
(c) A fox.
(d) The old man's ghost.
13. What does Dr. Summer realize about Hatter through the stories she tells?
(a) She has created an elaborate web of stories to protect herself.
(b) All of these.
(c) Hatter is caught between her Navajo heritage and the white world she is not equipped to function in.
(d) Hatter is not who Dr. Summer once thought she was.
14. Who does not want to see Mango released?
(a) The Reformatory's matron.
(d) Dr. Summer.
15. Where will Dr. Summer be staying now that he is not staying in the cell next to Hatter?
(a) None of these.
(b) The guest cottage.
(c) The infirmary.
(d) Off the Reformatory grounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Summer help Rhinehart treat in the infirmary?
2. How does Hatter treat Dr. Summer when she sees him upon his return?
3. How is Hatter punished for pushing someone off the cliff?
4. Why does Dr. Summer know he will return to the Reformatory?
5. Who was Hatter left with as a small child?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)