|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hatter do when it is time to return to the Reformatory after lunch?
(a) She tried to talk him into taking her to the hotel.
(b) She tries to run away.
(c) She turns on Dr. Summer.
(d) None of these.
2. What is done with the items taken from Claude?
(a) They are DNA tested.
(b) They are given to Hatter.
(c) They are sent to the police.
(d) They are burned in front of Hatter as part of a ritual.
3. Why does the Indian woman in Dr. Summer's story die?
(a) Out of grief.
(b) All of these.
(c) Her husband died.
(d) Out of embarrassment.
4. Where did Rhinehart grow up?
(d) New Jersey.
5. What does Rhinehart give to Hatter after dinner?
(a) Some hair ribbons and a necklace of terra cotta beads.
(b) Some headbands and a bracelet of terra cotta beads.
(c) Some hair ribbons and a new watch.
(d) Some barrettes and a simple gold chain necklace.
6. Who defends Hatter and Dr. Summer to the Reformatory administrators?
(a) The head of the Reformatory.
(c) The Reformatory psychiatrist.
7. Where is Hatter sent after being accused of pushing someone off the cliff?
(a) She is sent to jail.
(b) She is sent to the Christian Missionary School.
(c) None of these.
(d) She is sent to the Reformatory.
8. How does Hatter react when Dr. Summer asks her to eat after releasing her from the hospital bed?
(a) She tells him to leave her alone. She is sick.
(b) She stares at him, but does not eat or speak.
(c) She does not respond.
(d) She quickly and quietly eats her entire lunch.
9. What upsets Hatter while she, Dr. Summer, and Rhinehart are talking in the chapter "Settling In"?
(a) Rhinehart makes a terrible comment about Hatter looking "almost human."
(b) Both of these.
(c) Neither of these.
(d) Dr. Summer urges her to remember any possible details from her past.
10. How does Claude react when Dr. Summer asks him to open the door?
(a) He refuses to open the door.
(b) He refuses at first, because it is against the rules, but finally opens the door.
(c) He hesitantly lets Dr. Summer out, but refuses to let Hatter out.
(d) He opens the door immediately, helping Dr. Summer.
11. What does Dr. Summer realize about Hatter through the stories she tells?
(a) She has created an elaborate web of stories to protect herself.
(b) Hatter is caught between her Navajo heritage and the white world she is not equipped to function in.
(c) All of these.
(d) Hatter is not who Dr. Summer once thought she was.
12. Who is working in the infirmary with Dr. Summer and Rhinehart?
13. How does Dr. Summer feel once he returns home?
(a) His mood is unpredictable and erratic.
(b) He is in a surprisingly good mood, feeling the holiday spirit.
(c) He is relieved to be away from the Reformatory.
(d) His mood is bleak.
14. Who does Hatter say led her toward the mountains after her caretaker died?
(a) The old woman's ghost.
(b) A fox.
(c) A young boy she did not know.
(d) The old man's ghost.
15. Why does Dr. Summer tell Claude to open Hatter's door?
(a) So he can help her walk to the infirmary and get some scratches on her arm treated.
(b) So he can carry the unconscious Hatter to the infirmary.
(c) So he can escape Hatter's attack.
(d) So he can leave Hatter alone as she has requested.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dr. Summer consider returning to the Reformatory early with Hatter?
2. Who has been moved to the infirmary indefinitely?
3. Who takes Hatter to his home in the woods?
4. Where does Hatter want to stop after she and Dr. Summer have eaten their sandwiches?
5. When does Dr. Summer really intend to return to the Reformatory after checking on his home?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)