|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dr. Summer tell Claude to open Hatter's door?
(a) So he can help her walk to the infirmary and get some scratches on her arm treated.
(b) So he can carry the unconscious Hatter to the infirmary.
(c) So he can escape Hatter's attack.
(d) So he can leave Hatter alone as she has requested.
2. Where did Rhinehart grow up?
(c) New Jersey.
3. Where is Hatter sent after being accused of pushing someone off the cliff?
(a) She is sent to jail.
(b) None of these.
(c) She is sent to the Christian Missionary School.
(d) She is sent to the Reformatory.
4. What part of her past does Hatter tell Dr. Summer about after dinner that night?
(a) The time she spent in an orphanage.
(b) Her life with her parents.
(c) The time she spent at a Christian Mission.
(d) The time she spent with an elderly woman.
5. What does Hatter stand over Mango with in the middle of the night?
(a) A gun.
(b) A scalpel.
(c) A pillow.
(d) A knife.
6. Why does Claude strap Hatter to the hospital bed the morning after Dr. Summer returns?
(a) He does not give a reason for this treatment.
(b) She attacked him when he brought her breakfast.
(c) She attempted to escape during the night.
(d) She did not eat enough the day before to warrant bypassing being fed intravenously.
7. Why does Rhinehart warn Dr. Summer against taking Hatter out for the day?
(a) Hatter may try to run away from him.
(b) She will not want to return to the Reformatory after having such a great day in the real world.
(c) Not to let Hatter convince him to let her free.
(d) The girls are sometimes uncomfortable outside of the Reformatory.
8. When does Dr. Summer promise to return to the Reformatory when he leaves to check on his home?
(a) The following week.
(b) The next day.
(c) Later that same day.
(d) As soon as he can.
9. What does Dr. Summer tell Hatter after she shares part of her past with him?
(a) He counsels her to behave.
(b) He counsels her on what to do to be released from the Reformatory in the Spring
(c) He counsels her to cooperate.
(d) All of these.
10. Why does Hatter want to kill Mango in her sleep?
(a) Mango has been a prostitute in the past.
(b) Mango and Hatter have fought in the past, outside of the Reformatory.
(c) Mango was the one hurting Hatter when she was in solitary.
(d) Mango has threatened Hatter.
11. When does Dr. Summer really intend to return to the Reformatory after checking on his home?
(a) He plans to come back as he promised.
(b) He does not really plan to leave. He is trying to surprise Hatter and Rhinehart.
(c) He is not sure he will return.
(d) He plans to return a few days after promised.
12. When does Dr. Summer return to Santa Fe to check on his home?
(a) Christmas Eve.
(b) Christmas Day.
13. Who is actually guilty of pushing someone off the cliff?
(a) The shepherd boy.
(b) The shepherd boy's brother.
(c) Another young girl in the village.
(d) The farmer's wife.
14. Whose attention does the new efficiency of the infirmary gain?
(a) The State Hospital.
(b) The inmates.
(c) The administration.
(d) Other Reformatories.
15. What does Hatter do when it is time to return to the Reformatory after lunch?
(a) None of these.
(b) She tried to talk him into taking her to the hotel.
(c) She tries to run away.
(d) She turns on Dr. Summer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is done with the items taken from Claude?
2. How many days after visiting the hospital does the woman die?
3. How does Rhinehart react when Dr. Summer says that he does not know what is wrong with Hatter?
4. What does Rhinehart give to Hatter after dinner?
5. What does Rhinehart tell Hatter about Claude?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)