|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Rhinehart when she ran away from school?
2. What is done with the items taken from Claude?
(a) They are given to Hatter.
(b) They are burned in front of Hatter as part of a ritual.
(c) They are DNA tested.
(d) They are sent to the police.
3. How does Dr. Summer feel once he returns home?
(a) He is in a surprisingly good mood, feeling the holiday spirit.
(b) He is relieved to be away from the Reformatory.
(c) His mood is bleak.
(d) His mood is unpredictable and erratic.
4. Why does Dr. Summer know he will return to the Reformatory?
(a) Both of these.
(b) Because there are people there who need him.
(c) Because his home is lonely.
(d) Neither of these.
5. What does Rhinehart say about the marks on Hatter's body after removing her dress?
(a) They are not consistent with those found on most girls held in solitary.
(b) They are consistent with those found on most girls held in solitary.
(c) The marks were very unusual and must be self-inflicted.
(d) They were the source of her illness.
6. Who was Hatter left with as a small child?
(a) An elderly man who put her to work.
(b) An elderly woman who died.
(c) An elderly man who died.
(d) An elderly woman who abused her.
7. What does Rhinehart tell Dr. Summer about the story he has just shared with Hatter?
(a) Hatter believes a witch is making her sick.
(b) Hatter believes she has been poisoned by Claude.
(c) None of these.
(d) Hatter is being abused by Claude, and this is the story she has created in her head.
8. Why does Dr. Summer consider returning to the Reformatory early with Hatter?
(a) Because she states over and over that she does not want to be out.
(b) Because she is clearly uncomfortable riding in his Jeep.
(c) Because she is visibly angry.
(d) Because she has started crying.
9. How does the winter progress with Hatter, Rhinehart, and Dr. Summer working together?
(c) With difficulties.
10. What causes Hatter to break into screams while talking to Dr. Summer?
(a) All of these.
(b) He asks her about her family.
(c) He pushes her on why none of her friends have visited her.
(d) He asks her about her home.
11. Who was Hatter accused of pushing off a cliff?
(a) The shepherd boy's brother.
(b) The shepherd boy's sister.
(c) The farmer's daughter.
(d) A young girl.
12. When does Dr. Summer really intend to return to the Reformatory after checking on his home?
(a) He plans to return a few days after promised.
(b) He does not really plan to leave. He is trying to surprise Hatter and Rhinehart.
(c) He is not sure he will return.
(d) He plans to come back as he promised.
13. How many days after visiting the hospital does the woman die?
(a) Three days.
(b) One day.
(c) Two days.
(d) Four days.
14. Why does Dr. Summer tell Claude to open Hatter's door?
(a) So he can carry the unconscious Hatter to the infirmary.
(b) So he can escape Hatter's attack.
(c) So he can leave Hatter alone as she has requested.
(d) So he can help her walk to the infirmary and get some scratches on her arm treated.
15. How does Hatter treat Dr. Summer when she sees him upon his return?
(a) With a small, quiet smile.
(b) With silent hostility.
(c) With silent gratitude.
(d) With anger and threats.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Summer help Rhinehart treat in the infirmary?
2. What does Rhinehart take from Claude in his office?
3. Why does the Indian woman in Dr. Summer's story die?
4. Why does Dr. Summer want to keep his return quiet?
5. What does Hatter do when it is time to return to the Reformatory after lunch?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)