|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Dr. Summer return to Santa Fe to check on his home?
(b) Christmas Day.
(d) Christmas Eve.
2. Who is actually guilty of pushing someone off the cliff?
(a) The shepherd boy's brother.
(b) Another young girl in the village.
(c) The shepherd boy.
(d) The farmer's wife.
3. How does Hatter ask Dr. Summer to help her as he is leaving her room?
(a) She asks him to let her out of the straight jacket.
(b) She asks him to kill her.
(c) She asks him to help her get better.
(d) She asks him to help her escape.
4. When does Dr. Summer promise to return to the Reformatory when he leaves to check on his home?
(a) As soon as he can.
(b) The following week.
(c) The next day.
(d) Later that same day.
5. What does Dr. Summer realize about Hatter through the stories she tells?
(a) Hatter is not who Dr. Summer once thought she was.
(b) All of these.
(c) Hatter is caught between her Navajo heritage and the white world she is not equipped to function in.
(d) She has created an elaborate web of stories to protect herself.
6. How does Hatter react when Dr. Summer asks her to eat after releasing her from the hospital bed?
(a) She tells him to leave her alone. She is sick.
(b) She does not respond.
(c) She stares at him, but does not eat or speak.
(d) She quickly and quietly eats her entire lunch.
7. What is done with the items taken from Claude?
(a) They are DNA tested.
(b) They are sent to the police.
(c) They are given to Hatter.
(d) They are burned in front of Hatter as part of a ritual.
8. Who is working in the infirmary with Dr. Summer and Rhinehart?
9. Where is Hatter sent after being accused of pushing someone off the cliff?
(a) She is sent to jail.
(b) None of these.
(c) She is sent to the Reformatory.
(d) She is sent to the Christian Missionary School.
10. How does Hatter feel about Dr. Summer now that he has returned?
(a) She begs him to leave her alone.
(b) Neither of these.
(c) She is suspicious as to why he wants to help her.
(d) Both of these.
11. How does Claude react when Dr. Summer asks him to open the door?
(a) He opens the door immediately, helping Dr. Summer.
(b) He refuses to open the door.
(c) He hesitantly lets Dr. Summer out, but refuses to let Hatter out.
(d) He refuses at first, because it is against the rules, but finally opens the door.
12. How does Dr. Summer get Claude to let him release Hatter from the hospital bed?
(a) He tells him that a person can live by intravenous feeding for only a short time.
(b) All of these.
(c) He tells him that if Hatter is to live, she needs real food.
(d) He appeals to Claude's fear for his job.
13. How is Hatter punished for pushing someone off the cliff?
(a) She is locked in a room with the dead body.
(b) She is locked in a root cellar.
(c) She is tied up and put next to the crushed body.
(d) She is banished from the shepherding village.
14. What does Rhinehart find on Hatter's head?
(a) A scar.
(b) A bump.
(d) A gash.
15. How does Dr. Summer react to the stories that Hatter shares with him?
(a) He is almost paralyzed by what Hatter tells him.
(b) He tries to improve her life the best he can.
(c) Neither of these.
(d) Both of these.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Dr. Summer really intend to return to the Reformatory after checking on his home?
2. What does Rhinehart tell Dr. Summer about the story he has just shared with Hatter?
3. Why does Dr. Summer consider returning to the Reformatory early with Hatter?
4. Who does Hatter say led her toward the mountains after her caretaker died?
5. Who asked Hatter to leave the area previously?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)