|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dr. Summer get Claude to let him release Hatter from the hospital bed?
(a) All of these.
(b) He tells him that if Hatter is to live, she needs real food.
(c) He tells him that a person can live by intravenous feeding for only a short time.
(d) He appeals to Claude's fear for his job.
2. Why does Hatter want to kill Mango in her sleep?
(a) Mango has threatened Hatter.
(b) Mango was the one hurting Hatter when she was in solitary.
(c) Mango and Hatter have fought in the past, outside of the Reformatory.
(d) Mango has been a prostitute in the past.
3. How does Claude react when Dr. Summer asks him to open the door?
(a) He refuses to open the door.
(b) He hesitantly lets Dr. Summer out, but refuses to let Hatter out.
(c) He opens the door immediately, helping Dr. Summer.
(d) He refuses at first, because it is against the rules, but finally opens the door.
4. What happens to Mango the day she is scheduled to be released?
(a) She has bronchitis.
(b) She is injured in a fight.
(c) She is sick with the flu.
(d) She in injured in a fall.
5. Who has been moved to the infirmary indefinitely?
6. Who defends Hatter and Dr. Summer to the Reformatory administrators?
(a) The head of the Reformatory.
(b) The Reformatory psychiatrist.
7. Who is there to greet Dr. Summer when he returns?
(b) Dr. Levering.
8. How does Hatter ask Dr. Summer to help her as he is leaving her room?
(a) She asks him to help her escape.
(b) She asks him to help her get better.
(c) She asks him to let her out of the straight jacket.
(d) She asks him to kill her.
9. Why does Dr. Summer want to keep his return quiet?
(a) So that the head of the Reformatory will not know he is back.
(b) Because he is embarrassed about having left in the first place.
(c) So that Hatter will not know he has returned.
(d) So the other girls will not make trouble over his attention to Hatter.
10. What city did Rhinehart go to when she ran away?
(b) New York.
11. How old was Rhinehart when she ran away from school?
12. Who was Hatter accused of pushing off a cliff?
(a) A young girl.
(b) The farmer's daughter.
(c) The shepherd boy's sister.
(d) The shepherd boy's brother.
13. Where will Dr. Summer be staying now that he is not staying in the cell next to Hatter?
(a) The guest cottage.
(b) None of these.
(c) Off the Reformatory grounds.
(d) The infirmary.
14. Why does Claude strap Hatter to the hospital bed the morning after Dr. Summer returns?
(a) She did not eat enough the day before to warrant bypassing being fed intravenously.
(b) She attempted to escape during the night.
(c) She attacked him when he brought her breakfast.
(d) He does not give a reason for this treatment.
15. What ends Hatter, Rhinehart, and Dr. Summer's evening?
(a) Rhinehart is called to the infirmary.
(b) Hatter lashes out at the other two.
(c) Rhinehart's comment that Hatter looks "almost human."
(d) Dr. Summer urging Hatter to talk about her past.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dr. Summer know he will return to the Reformatory?
2. Who takes Hatter to his home in the woods?
3. What does Dr. Summer tell Hatter to do with the weapon she held over Mango in the middle of the night?
4. How does the winter progress with Hatter, Rhinehart, and Dr. Summer working together?
5. What does Rhinehart say about the marks on Hatter's body after removing her dress?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)