|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dr. Summer want to keep his return quiet?
(a) So the other girls will not make trouble over his attention to Hatter.
(b) Because he is embarrassed about having left in the first place.
(c) So that the head of the Reformatory will not know he is back.
(d) So that Hatter will not know he has returned.
2. How does Dr. Summer get Claude to let him release Hatter from the hospital bed?
(a) He tells him that a person can live by intravenous feeding for only a short time.
(b) He tells him that if Hatter is to live, she needs real food.
(c) All of these.
(d) He appeals to Claude's fear for his job.
3. What causes Hatter to break into screams while talking to Dr. Summer?
(a) All of these.
(b) He asks her about her home.
(c) He pushes her on why none of her friends have visited her.
(d) He asks her about her family.
4. Where will Dr. Summer be staying now that he is not staying in the cell next to Hatter?
(a) The infirmary.
(b) Off the Reformatory grounds.
(c) The guest cottage.
(d) None of these.
5. Why does Dr. Summer tell Claude to open Hatter's door?
(a) So he can carry the unconscious Hatter to the infirmary.
(b) So he can leave Hatter alone as she has requested.
(c) So he can escape Hatter's attack.
(d) So he can help her walk to the infirmary and get some scratches on her arm treated.
6. Why did Rhinehart come to Arizona?
(a) To care for the terminally ill poor.
(b) To be the private nurse of a wealthy patient who died unexpectedly.
(c) To care for a terminally ill, wealthy patient.
(d) To care for elderly persons without families.
7. Why does Dr. Summer consider returning to the Reformatory early with Hatter?
(a) Because she states over and over that she does not want to be out.
(b) Because she is visibly angry.
(c) Because she is clearly uncomfortable riding in his Jeep.
(d) Because she has started crying.
8. Where does Dr. Summer take Hatter for lunch in the chapter, "Hatter's History"?
(a) Neither of these.
(b) A diner near the University.
(c) Both of these.
(d) A diner near the Reformatory.
9. What city did Rhinehart go to when she ran away?
(a) New York.
10. What does Rhinehart offer Dr. Summer at the end of their dinner?
(a) An extra blanket.
(b) A cup of coffee.
(c) A pair of flannel pajamas.
(d) Her journal.
11. Why does Claude strap Hatter to the hospital bed the morning after Dr. Summer returns?
(a) She did not eat enough the day before to warrant bypassing being fed intravenously.
(b) She attacked him when he brought her breakfast.
(c) He does not give a reason for this treatment.
(d) She attempted to escape during the night.
12. Why does Hatter want to kill Mango in her sleep?
(a) Mango was the one hurting Hatter when she was in solitary.
(b) Mango and Hatter have fought in the past, outside of the Reformatory.
(c) Mango has threatened Hatter.
(d) Mango has been a prostitute in the past.
13. Who does not want to see Mango released?
(a) Dr. Summer.
(c) The Reformatory's matron.
14. How old was Rhinehart when she ran away from school?
15. What does Rhinehart tell Hatter about Dr. Summer?
(a) He is not to be trusted.
(b) Dr. Summer is an angel sent to protect her.
(c) He is not the witch that hurt her.
(d) Dr. Summer is there to battle the witch, who is the Reformatory psychiatrist.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hatter feel about Dr. Summer now that he has returned?
2. Where is Hatter sent after being accused of pushing someone off the cliff?
3. Why does Rhinehart warn Dr. Summer against taking Hatter out for the day?
4. Who was Hatter accused of pushing off a cliff?
5. What ends Hatter, Rhinehart, and Dr. Summer's evening?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)