|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Dr. Summer and Rhinehart have for dinner in her apartment?
(a) Cold chicken and beer.
(b) Pizza and beer.
(c) TV dinners and soda.
(d) Meatloaf and warm milk.
2. Why does Dr. Summer want to keep his return quiet?
(a) Because he is embarrassed about having left in the first place.
(b) So the other girls will not make trouble over his attention to Hatter.
(c) So that Hatter will not know he has returned.
(d) So that the head of the Reformatory will not know he is back.
3. How does Dr. Summer react to the stories that Hatter shares with him?
(a) Both of these.
(b) He tries to improve her life the best he can.
(c) He is almost paralyzed by what Hatter tells him.
(d) Neither of these.
4. Where is Hatter sent after being accused of pushing someone off the cliff?
(a) She is sent to the Christian Missionary School.
(b) She is sent to the Reformatory.
(c) She is sent to jail.
(d) None of these.
5. Why does Hatter want to kill Mango in her sleep?
(a) Mango has threatened Hatter.
(b) Mango was the one hurting Hatter when she was in solitary.
(c) Mango and Hatter have fought in the past, outside of the Reformatory.
(d) Mango has been a prostitute in the past.
6. Why does the Indian woman in Dr. Summer's story die?
(a) Out of embarrassment.
(b) Her husband died.
(c) All of these.
(d) Out of grief.
7. What does Hatter reveal to Dr. Summer about the diner where they stopped?
(a) She had made a lot of money prostituting for the college boys in the area.
(b) She had been a prostitute and worked the corner near the diner.
(c) She was afraid someone in the diner would recognize her.
(d) All of these.
8. How does Hatter react when Dr. Summer asks her to eat after releasing her from the hospital bed?
(a) She does not respond.
(b) She stares at him, but does not eat or speak.
(c) She tells him to leave her alone. She is sick.
(d) She quickly and quietly eats her entire lunch.
9. When does Dr. Summer return to Santa Fe to check on his home?
(c) Christmas Day.
(d) Christmas Eve.
10. What does Rhinehart take from Claude in his office?
(a) His badge and keys.
(b) A snip of his hair and a clipping of his finger nails.
(c) A snip of his hair and a vial of blood.
(d) A snip of his hair and a section of his shirt collar.
11. What causes Hatter to break into screams while talking to Dr. Summer?
(a) He asks her about her family.
(b) He pushes her on why none of her friends have visited her.
(c) He asks her about her home.
(d) All of these.
12. Where does Dr. Summer take Hatter for lunch in the chapter, "Hatter's History"?
(a) A diner near the Reformatory.
(b) Neither of these.
(c) A diner near the University.
(d) Both of these.
13. Where does Hatter want to stop after she and Dr. Summer have eaten their sandwiches?
(a) A library.
(b) An ice cream shop.
(c) A candy store.
(d) A convenience store for cigarettes.
14. How does Dr. Summer feel once he returns home?
(a) He is in a surprisingly good mood, feeling the holiday spirit.
(b) His mood is bleak.
(c) His mood is unpredictable and erratic.
(d) He is relieved to be away from the Reformatory.
15. What is done with the items taken from Claude?
(a) They are burned in front of Hatter as part of a ritual.
(b) They are given to Hatter.
(c) They are sent to the police.
(d) They are DNA tested.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is there to greet Dr. Summer when he returns?
2. What upsets Hatter while she, Dr. Summer, and Rhinehart are talking in the chapter "Settling In"?
3. What does Dr. Summer help Rhinehart treat in the infirmary?
4. What does Dr. Summer tell Hatter to do with the weapon she held over Mango in the middle of the night?
5. What does Dr. Summer tell Hatter after she shares part of her past with him?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)