|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hatter surprise Dr. Summer during the night he returns?
(a) She does not move, but quietly thanks him for returning.
(b) She suddenly rises and threatens to hurt him again if he does not leave.
(c) She suddenly rises and announces she needs to use the bathroom.
(d) None of these.
2. How does Hatter feel about Dr. Summer now that he has returned?
(a) She is suspicious as to why he wants to help her.
(b) Both of these.
(c) Neither of these.
(d) She begs him to leave her alone.
3. What does Rhinehart say about the marks on Hatter's body after removing her dress?
(a) They are consistent with those found on most girls held in solitary.
(b) The marks were very unusual and must be self-inflicted.
(c) They are not consistent with those found on most girls held in solitary.
(d) They were the source of her illness.
4. What does Rhinehart take from Claude in his office?
(a) A snip of his hair and a vial of blood.
(b) His badge and keys.
(c) A snip of his hair and a clipping of his finger nails.
(d) A snip of his hair and a section of his shirt collar.
5. Why does Hatter want to kill Mango in her sleep?
(a) Mango was the one hurting Hatter when she was in solitary.
(b) Mango has been a prostitute in the past.
(c) Mango and Hatter have fought in the past, outside of the Reformatory.
(d) Mango has threatened Hatter.
6. Where did Rhinehart grow up?
(d) New Jersey.
7. What does Dr. Summer tell Hatter after she shares part of her past with him?
(a) He counsels her to cooperate.
(b) He counsels her to behave.
(c) All of these.
(d) He counsels her on what to do to be released from the Reformatory in the Spring
8. When does Dr. Summer really intend to return to the Reformatory after checking on his home?
(a) He does not really plan to leave. He is trying to surprise Hatter and Rhinehart.
(b) He plans to come back as he promised.
(c) He is not sure he will return.
(d) He plans to return a few days after promised.
9. Who takes Hatter to his home in the woods?
(a) A goat herder.
(b) A shepherd boy.
(c) A farmer.
(d) None of these.
10. What ends Hatter, Rhinehart, and Dr. Summer's evening?
(a) Dr. Summer urging Hatter to talk about her past.
(b) Rhinehart's comment that Hatter looks "almost human."
(c) Hatter lashes out at the other two.
(d) Rhinehart is called to the infirmary.
11. Who is working in the infirmary with Dr. Summer and Rhinehart?
12. How does Hatter ask Dr. Summer to help her as he is leaving her room?
(a) She asks him to help her get better.
(b) She asks him to help her escape.
(c) She asks him to kill her.
(d) She asks him to let her out of the straight jacket.
13. How does Hatter react to Rhinehart's story about Claude?
(a) She calms down and falls asleep.
(b) She becomes frantic, and then passes out.
(c) She lashes out at Rhinehart and Dr. Summer.
(d) She becomes frantic and tries to escape the infirmary.
14. What does Dr. Summer tell Hatter to do with the weapon she held over Mango in the middle of the night?
(a) Kill herself and save the state the time and money.
(b) Stab a pillow to take out some frustration.
(c) None of these.
(d) Put it away.
15. Where does Hatter want to stop after she and Dr. Summer have eaten their sandwiches?
(a) A candy store.
(b) An ice cream shop.
(c) A library.
(d) A convenience store for cigarettes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Claude strap Hatter to the hospital bed the morning after Dr. Summer returns?
2. Why does Dr. Summer know he will return to the Reformatory?
3. Why does the Indian woman in Dr. Summer's story die?
4. Why did Rhinehart come to Arizona?
5. What does Hatter stand over Mango with in the middle of the night?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)