|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of her past does Hatter tell Dr. Summer about after dinner that night?
(a) The time she spent with an elderly woman.
(b) Her life with her parents.
(c) The time she spent in an orphanage.
(d) The time she spent at a Christian Mission.
2. What happens to Mango the day she is scheduled to be released?
(a) She is injured in a fight.
(b) She in injured in a fall.
(c) She is sick with the flu.
(d) She has bronchitis.
3. Why does Dr. Summer tell Claude to open Hatter's door?
(a) So he can help her walk to the infirmary and get some scratches on her arm treated.
(b) So he can escape Hatter's attack.
(c) So he can carry the unconscious Hatter to the infirmary.
(d) So he can leave Hatter alone as she has requested.
4. Who spends the day with Mango, trying to make her feel better?
(d) Dr. Summer.
5. Who is actually guilty of pushing someone off the cliff?
(a) Another young girl in the village.
(b) The shepherd boy's brother.
(c) The farmer's wife.
(d) The shepherd boy.
6. How is Hatter punished for pushing someone off the cliff?
(a) She is locked in a room with the dead body.
(b) She is locked in a root cellar.
(c) She is tied up and put next to the crushed body.
(d) She is banished from the shepherding village.
7. How does Claude react when Dr. Summer asks him to open the door?
(a) He refuses at first, because it is against the rules, but finally opens the door.
(b) He hesitantly lets Dr. Summer out, but refuses to let Hatter out.
(c) He refuses to open the door.
(d) He opens the door immediately, helping Dr. Summer.
8. When does Dr. Summer return to Santa Fe to check on his home?
(b) Christmas Day.
(d) Christmas Eve.
9. Who is there to greet Dr. Summer when he returns?
(c) Dr. Levering.
10. How does Hatter ask Dr. Summer to help her as he is leaving her room?
(a) She asks him to kill her.
(b) She asks him to help her get better.
(c) She asks him to help her escape.
(d) She asks him to let her out of the straight jacket.
11. What does Dr. Summer tell Hatter after she shares part of her past with him?
(a) All of these.
(b) He counsels her to behave.
(c) He counsels her to cooperate.
(d) He counsels her on what to do to be released from the Reformatory in the Spring
12. What does Dr. Summer tell Hatter to do with the weapon she held over Mango in the middle of the night?
(a) None of these.
(b) Stab a pillow to take out some frustration.
(c) Kill herself and save the state the time and money.
(d) Put it away.
13. Who takes Hatter to his home in the woods?
(a) A shepherd boy.
(b) A goat herder.
(c) None of these.
(d) A farmer.
14. Why did Rhinehart come to Arizona?
(a) To care for the terminally ill poor.
(b) To be the private nurse of a wealthy patient who died unexpectedly.
(c) To care for a terminally ill, wealthy patient.
(d) To care for elderly persons without families.
15. How many days after visiting the hospital does the woman die?
(a) Three days.
(b) Two days.
(c) Four days.
(d) One day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ends Hatter, Rhinehart, and Dr. Summer's evening?
2. Who has been moved to the infirmary indefinitely?
3. How does Hatter react to Rhinehart's story about Claude?
4. Why does Dr. Summer know he will return to the Reformatory?
5. What is done with the items taken from Claude?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)