|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rhinehart tell Hatter about Claude?
(a) He made the corpse poison and shot it under her door.
(b) All of these.
(c) He is the witch who has hurt her.
(d) The wound on her head is where his poison entered her.
2. Who takes Hatter to his home in the woods?
(a) A goat herder.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A shepherd boy.
(d) None of these.
3. How does Rhinehart react when Dr. Summer says that he does not know what is wrong with Hatter?
(a) She is concerned and caring.
(b) She is professional and takes charge.
(c) She is unconcerned and pretentious.
(d) She is officious and sarcastic.
4. When does Dr. Summer promise to return to the Reformatory when he leaves to check on his home?
(a) Later that same day.
(b) The next day.
(c) The following week.
(d) As soon as he can.
5. What does Rhinehart tell Dr. Summer about the story he has just shared with Hatter?
(a) Hatter believes a witch is making her sick.
(b) Hatter believes she has been poisoned by Claude.
(c) None of these.
(d) Hatter is being abused by Claude, and this is the story she has created in her head.
6. What does Rhinehart say about the marks on Hatter's body after removing her dress?
(a) They were the source of her illness.
(b) The marks were very unusual and must be self-inflicted.
(c) They are consistent with those found on most girls held in solitary.
(d) They are not consistent with those found on most girls held in solitary.
7. What does Rhinehart find on Hatter's head?
(a) A gash.
(c) A scar.
(d) A bump.
8. Why does the Indian woman in Dr. Summer's story die?
(a) All of these.
(b) Her husband died.
(c) Out of embarrassment.
(d) Out of grief.
9. What does Rhinehart tell Hatter about Dr. Summer?
(a) He is not to be trusted.
(b) Dr. Summer is an angel sent to protect her.
(c) Dr. Summer is there to battle the witch, who is the Reformatory psychiatrist.
(d) He is not the witch that hurt her.
10. How old was Rhinehart when she ran away from school?
11. Where is Hatter sent after being accused of pushing someone off the cliff?
(a) She is sent to the Christian Missionary School.
(b) None of these.
(c) She is sent to jail.
(d) She is sent to the Reformatory.
12. What do Dr. Summer and Rhinehart have for dinner in her apartment?
(a) TV dinners and soda.
(b) Pizza and beer.
(c) Meatloaf and warm milk.
(d) Cold chicken and beer.
13. Why does Hatter want to kill Mango in her sleep?
(a) Mango was the one hurting Hatter when she was in solitary.
(b) Mango and Hatter have fought in the past, outside of the Reformatory.
(c) Mango has been a prostitute in the past.
(d) Mango has threatened Hatter.
14. How does Hatter treat Dr. Summer when she sees him upon his return?
(a) With silent gratitude.
(b) With anger and threats.
(c) With a small, quiet smile.
(d) With silent hostility.
15. When does Dr. Summer return to Santa Fe to check on his home?
(a) Christmas Day.
(d) Christmas Eve.
Short Answer Questions
1. What upsets Hatter while she, Dr. Summer, and Rhinehart are talking in the chapter "Settling In"?
2. Why does Rhinehart warn Dr. Summer against taking Hatter out for the day?
3. Who was Hatter accused of pushing off a cliff?
4. Who does Hatter say led her toward the mountains after her caretaker died?
5. How does Hatter react to Rhinehart's story about Claude?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)