|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hatter react to Dr. Summer treating her skin abrasions?
(a) She pulls away from him and will not let him help her.
(b) Hatter is insolent, but cooperative.
(c) She tries to escape.
(d) She screams at him and tries to attack him.
2. Why does Dr. Summer beg Hatter to eat lunch in her cell?
(a) Both of these.
(b) He is afraid she is trying to starve herself.
(c) He is afraid she will not be brought food after he leaves.
(d) Neither of these.
3. What does Hatter do when Dr. Summer attempts to talk to her?
(a) She confides in him.
(b) She refuses to speak to him at all.
(c) She chants in a low voice.
(d) She cries and apologizes.
4. Why does Dr. Summer withdraw his offer to stay and help Hatter?
(a) He has a fight with Claude.
(b) He is concerned that Hatter will attack him again.
(c) He is fed up with the bureaucratic rules of the Reformatory.
(d) He feels that he cannot help her if she will not communicate with him.
5. What does Mango do to help Dr. Summer get settled?
(a) Mango shares the rules with Dr. Summer.
(b) Mango makes Dr. Summer's bed.
(c) Neither of these.
(d) Both of these.
6. How does Mango feel when she arrives to take Dr. Summer to the Reformatory the next morning?
(a) She appears happy and carefree.
(b) She appears angry with Dr. Summer.
(c) She appears sullen and withdrawn.
(d) She appears hurried and nervous.
7. Why does Dr. Summer go to the jail after being released from the hospital?
(a) None of these.
(b) To see Hatter face-to-face.
(c) To press charges against Hatter.
(d) To check on Hatter's wounds and her progress.
8. Who summons Mango to help Dr. Summer settle into his new cottage?
(a) Dr. Levory.
(b) Dr. Winton.
(c) Dr. Levering.
(d) Dr. Levitt.
9. What does Hatter refuse to wear?
(a) Her prison dress.
(b) Her prison number.
(c) Her glasses.
(d) Her shoes.
10. What does Dr. Summer receive when he gets back?
(a) Letters from Hatter's parents.
(b) Letters from the local jail.
(c) Letters from the police chief.
(d) Letters from the State Reformatory for Girls.
11. What does Dr. Summer see when he looks up from the floor?
(a) The world swirling around him.
(b) Hatter's smiling face.
(c) Hatter coming at him again.
(d) Hatter screaming.
12. What does Dr. Summer do when Hatter refuses to eat her lunch?
(a) He threatens to leave her in the cell alone.
(b) He tells her she does not have to eat.
(c) He asks Claude to force feed her.
(d) He tries to force feed her.
13. What is Hatter directing the other young people in the room to do while Dr. Summer is there?
(a) She has them in three single-file rows, marching in place.
(b) She has them in one line, jogging in place.
(c) She has them in two single-file rows, marching.
(d) She has them doing a ritualistic dance.
14. Where does Dr. Summer become a doctor when he first meets Hatter?
(a) The Bureau of Indian Affairs.
(b) The Bureau of Indian Health.
(c) The New Mexico Health Center.
(d) A free Indian Health Clinic.
15. What does Dr. Summer think he sees outside in the facility courtyard?
(a) Inmates being transferred from one building to another in the freezing rain without shoes.
(b) Inmates hanging laundry in the freezing rain.
(c) A dead animal in a pen in the freezing rain.
(d) An animal locked in a pen in the freezing rain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What risks does Dr. Summer take when talking with Hatter?
2. Where is Hatter kept at the Reformatory?
3. Where does Hatter injure Dr. Summer?
4. Who is Dr. Summer called in to treat when he meets Hatter?
5. What does Dr. Summer do in Hatter's cell while she sleeps?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)