|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the psychiatrist explain Hatter's extreme punishment?
(a) All of these.
(b) She had slashed twelve mattresses the day before.
(c) She had injured another inmate.
(d) She had attempted to escape.
2. What does Dr. Summer request for Hatter after lunchtime?
(a) Neither of these.
(b) A clean dress.
(c) Warm water.
(d) Both of these.
3. How does Dr. Summer describe the way Hatter is kept?
(a) In a windowless room.
(b) Her entire body is bound by leather straps.
(c) She is confined to a hospital bed.
(d) All of these.
4. What does Mango show Dr. Summer in his cottage?
(a) A scar from a slash Hatter inflicted on her.
(b) A scar from her childhood.
(c) The necklace her mother gave her.
(d) The bruises one of the guards inflicted on her.
5. Where is Hatter kept at the Reformatory?
(a) None of these.
(b) In a community cell with three other girls.
(c) The sub-basement in an isolation cell.
(d) In a shared cell with another juvenile delinquent.
6. Why does Dr. Summer go to the jail after being released from the hospital?
(a) None of these.
(b) To press charges against Hatter.
(c) To see Hatter face-to-face.
(d) To check on Hatter's wounds and her progress.
7. What does Dr. Summer actually see outside in the facility courtyard?
(a) A girl trying to escape.
(b) All of these.
(c) A girl locked in a pen in the freezing rain.
(d) Two men carrying a girl across the courtyard in the freezing rain.
8. To what Indian tribe does Hatter Fox belong?
9. Where is the State Reformatory for Girls located?
(b) Santa Fe.
(d) El Paso.
10. What does Dr. Summer offer Hatter in her cell?
(a) He offers her a cup of coffee.
(b) He offers her some juice.
(c) He offers her some water.
(d) He offers her a cup of tea.
11. When does Dr. Summer call the psychiatrist at the Reformatory?
(a) He calls the psychiatrist the next morning.
(b) He calls the psychiatrist the next evening.
(c) He calls the psychiatrist later that same night.
(d) He calls the psychiatrist a couple of days later.
12. Who believes putting the girls in the "dog house" is an effective punishment?
(a) The head of the reformatory.
(b) The guards.
(c) Dr. Levering.
(d) Dr. Summer.
13. Where does Hatter injure Dr. Summer?
(a) She jabs him in the hand with the pen.
(b) She sticks him in the leg with the syringe.
(c) She stabs him in the back.
(d) She hits him in the head with the pipe.
14. What does Dr. Summer tell Hatter before leaving?
(a) He has given up on her.
(b) He does not understand how to help her.
(c) None of these.
(d) Have someone call him if she wants to talk.
15. What does the Reformatory psychiatrist tell Dr. Summer is the only way Hatter will leave the basement early?
(a) If she is transferred to the state hospital.
(b) If she is sick enough to go to the infirmary.
(c) She will never leave the basement early.
(d) If she starts speaking and eating.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Summer believe is killing Hatter Fox?
2. Where does Dr. Summer become a doctor when he first meets Hatter?
3. Why is Dr. Summer called back to the Reformatory after meeting with Hatter?
4. What does Dr. Summer learn when he returns to the Reformatory?
5. What information does Dr. Summer use to form his initial opinion of Hatter?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)