|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Dr. Summer when he calls the psychiatrist at the Reformatory?
(a) He is at home.
(b) He is in a restaurant.
(c) He is in a bar.
(d) He is at a friend's house.
2. What fuels Dr. Summer's renewed drive to reach Hatter?
(a) The head of the reformatory's blast attitude toward Hatter.
(b) All of these.
(c) The disgust the psychiatrist has for Hatter.
(d) His faith that she can be reached.
3. What does Dr. Summer believe is killing Hatter Fox?
(a) Claude's abuse.
(b) All of these.
(c) The psychiatrist's ignorance.
(d) The bureaucratic rules of the Reformatory.
4. Where is the State Reformatory for Girls located?
(a) El Paso.
(b) Santa Fe.
5. In broad terms, what is this story about?
(d) All of the above.
6. Why does Dr. Summer decide to leave for a few days?
(a) He is asked to leave for a few days by his boss.
(b) He has to care for a sick family member.
(c) He is recovering after Hatter attacks him.
(d) He is disturbed by the violence involved in his job.
7. How does Dr. Summer find Hatter in her cell?
(a) She is chained to her cot.
(b) She is in a straight jacket.
(c) She is standing in the corner with her wrists chained together.
(d) She is chained to the wall.
8. In what city does Dr. Summer work when he meets Hatter?
(a) El Paso, TX.
(b) Phoenix, AZ.
(c) Albuquerque, NM.
(d) Santa Fe, NM.
9. What does Hatter do as Dr. Summer tells her his life story?
(a) She asks him to leave.
(b) She starts singing softly to herself.
(c) She turns away and refuses to look at Dr. Summer.
(d) She puts her fingers in her ears to demonstrate her boredom.
10. Where does Dr. Summer decide to spend some time a few days after he speaks to Hatter?
(d) Los Angeles.
11. Why is it thought that putting the girls in the "dog house" is an effective punishment?
(a) Because it is painful.
(b) Because it separates the girls from the rest of the group.
(c) Because it is humiliating.
(d) Because it makes them very upset.
12. What does Mango show Dr. Summer in his cottage?
(a) A scar from her childhood.
(b) The bruises one of the guards inflicted on her.
(c) The necklace her mother gave her.
(d) A scar from a slash Hatter inflicted on her.
13. How does Hatter react to Dr. Summer treating her skin abrasions?
(a) She screams at him and tries to attack him.
(b) She tries to escape.
(c) Hatter is insolent, but cooperative.
(d) She pulls away from him and will not let him help her.
14. What weapon does Hatter use to injure Dr. Summer?
(a) A knife.
(b) A pipe.
(c) A syringe.
(d) A pen.
15. Why is Dr. Summer called back to the Reformatory after meeting with Hatter?
(a) Hatter has asked for Dr. Summer.
(b) The head of the Reformatory thinks Dr. Summer is the only one who can get through to Hatter.
(c) The head of the Reformatory wants to apologize to Dr. Summer.
(d) All of these.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Summer do when Hatter refuses to eat her lunch?
2. What does Dr. Summer bring with him when he returns to the Reformatory?
3. Why does Dr. Summer travel to Albuquerque?
4. What do the letters ask of Dr. Summer?
5. Where is Hatter kept at the Reformatory?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)