|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hatter do as Dr. Summer tells her his life story?
(a) She asks him to leave.
(b) She turns away and refuses to look at Dr. Summer.
(c) She puts her fingers in her ears to demonstrate her boredom.
(d) She starts singing softly to herself.
2. Why does the psychiatrist say it is pointless for Dr. Summer to see Hatter?
(a) Because she has already injured him once.
(b) Because she refuses to speak to anyone.
(c) Because he does not know her.
(d) None of these.
3. Who believes putting the girls in the "dog house" is an effective punishment?
(a) The guards.
(b) Dr. Summer.
(c) The head of the reformatory.
(d) Dr. Levering.
4. Why does Dr. Summer decide to leave for a few days?
(a) He is disturbed by the violence involved in his job.
(b) He is recovering after Hatter attacks him.
(c) He is asked to leave for a few days by his boss.
(d) He has to care for a sick family member.
5. In what city does Dr. Summer work when he meets Hatter?
(a) El Paso, TX.
(b) Santa Fe, NM.
(c) Phoenix, AZ.
(d) Albuquerque, NM.
6. What does Dr. Summer tell Hatter before leaving?
(a) He does not understand how to help her.
(b) He has given up on her.
(c) None of these.
(d) Have someone call him if she wants to talk.
7. During what time period does this story take place?
(a) The early 1970s.
(b) The late 1980s.
(c) The early 1980s.
(d) The mid 1960s.
8. What time does Dr. Summer return to the Reformatory?
(a) 8 o'clock in the morning.
(b) 11 o'clock in the morning.
(c) Two o'clock in the afternoon.
9. When does Dr. Summer travel to Albuquerque?
(a) A windy November day.
(b) A clear January morning.
(c) A cold December morning.
(d) A cold December afternoon.
10. In broad terms, what is this story about?
(a) All of the above.
11. What information does Dr. Summer use to form his initial opinion of Hatter?
(a) Information from her parents.
(b) What he hears from other people.
(c) Her medical files.
(d) His first meeting with her.
12. What does Mango do to help Dr. Summer get settled?
(a) Neither of these.
(b) Both of these.
(c) Mango makes Dr. Summer's bed.
(d) Mango shares the rules with Dr. Summer.
13. When does the psychiatrist say Dr. Summer can see Hatter?
(a) The following week.
(b) That afternoon.
(c) He says Dr. Summer cannot see Hatter.
(d) The next day.
14. Where does Dr. Summer meet Hatter?
(a) At a local jail.
(b) None of these.
(c) In the medical clinic.
(d) In a group home.
15. What year does Dr. Summer meet Hatter Fox?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hatter injure Dr. Summer?
2. What causes Dr. Summer not to return to Santa Fe?
3. On what condition does the Reformatory psychiatrist agree to let Dr. Summer return and stay where he wishes?
4. What does Dr. Summer believe is killing Hatter Fox?
5. What does Hatter do to Dr. Summer during their first meeting?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)