|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Summer offer Hatter in her cell?
(a) He offers her a cup of tea.
(b) He offers her some juice.
(c) He offers her some water.
(d) He offers her a cup of coffee.
2. Where is the State Reformatory for Girls located?
(c) Santa Fe.
(d) El Paso.
3. Where does Dr. Summer become a doctor when he first meets Hatter?
(a) The Bureau of Indian Health.
(b) The Bureau of Indian Affairs.
(c) A free Indian Health Clinic.
(d) The New Mexico Health Center.
4. Why is Dr. Summer called back to the Reformatory after meeting with Hatter?
(a) All of these.
(b) The head of the Reformatory thinks Dr. Summer is the only one who can get through to Hatter.
(c) Hatter has asked for Dr. Summer.
(d) The head of the Reformatory wants to apologize to Dr. Summer.
5. Where is Hatter kept at the Reformatory?
(a) In a shared cell with another juvenile delinquent.
(b) The sub-basement in an isolation cell.
(c) None of these.
(d) In a community cell with three other girls.
6. How does Hatter react to Dr. Summer when he offers her something to drink?
(a) She yells at him to leave her alone.
(b) She is completely unresponsive at first.
(c) She attacks him again.
(d) She listens and speaks to him softly.
7. What does Mango do to help Dr. Summer get settled?
(a) Mango makes Dr. Summer's bed.
(b) Neither of these.
(c) Mango shares the rules with Dr. Summer.
(d) Both of these.
8. What does the Reformatory psychiatrist tell Dr. Summer is the only way Hatter will leave the basement early?
(a) If she starts speaking and eating.
(b) If she is sick enough to go to the infirmary.
(c) If she is transferred to the state hospital.
(d) She will never leave the basement early.
9. What does Dr. Summer bring with him when he returns to the Reformatory?
(a) A carton of cigarettes for Mango.
(b) A plastic comb, brush, and mirror set for Hatter.
(c) All of these.
(d) Girlie magazines for Claude and his colleagues.
10. What does Dr. Summer receive when he gets back?
(a) Letters from Hatter's parents.
(b) Letters from the State Reformatory for Girls.
(c) Letters from the local jail.
(d) Letters from the police chief.
11. What does Dr. Summer encounter before he finds the psychiatrists office?
(a) Mazes of hallways.
(b) None of these.
(c) Both of these.
(d) Sullen guards.
12. Where is Dr. Summer when he calls the psychiatrist at the Reformatory?
(a) He is in a restaurant.
(b) He is in a bar.
(c) He is at a friend's house.
(d) He is at home.
13. What does Dr. Summer tell the Reformatory psychiatrist about Hatter Fox and Claude?
(a) Dr. Summer insinuates that Hatter and Claude have a relationship.
(b) Dr. Summer insinuates that Hatter and Claude are siblings.
(c) Dr. Summer insinuates that Claude is beating Hatter for no reason.
(d) Dr. Summer insinuates that Hatter has been raped.
14. What does Dr. Summer believe is killing Hatter Fox?
(a) Claude's abuse.
(b) All of these.
(c) The psychiatrist's ignorance.
(d) The bureaucratic rules of the Reformatory.
15. What does Dr. Summer learn when he returns to the Reformatory?
(a) Hatter is asking for Dr. Summer.
(b) Hatter is being transferred to the state hospital.
(c) Hatter's sentence at the Reformatory has been extended.
(d) Hatter is still refusing to cooperate or speak.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Hatter Fox at the beginning of the story?
2. How does Dr. Summer find Hatter in her cell?
3. When does the psychiatrist say Dr. Summer can see Hatter?
4. In what city does Dr. Summer work when he meets Hatter?
5. What does Dr. Summer actually see outside in the facility courtyard?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)