|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Hatter when Dr. Summer sees her?
(a) In her cell, lying stiffly under her blanket.
(b) In the jail common room.
(c) None of these.
(d) In the police chief's office.
2. Who is Dr. Summer called in to treat when he meets Hatter?
(a) Hatter, who has been wounded in a fight.
(b) Another girl who Hatter has injured in a fight.
(c) A girl who has slit her wrists.
(d) A boy who has slit his wrists.
3. What does the Reformatory psychiatrist tell Dr. Summer is the only way Hatter will leave the basement early?
(a) If she is transferred to the state hospital.
(b) If she is sick enough to go to the infirmary.
(c) She will never leave the basement early.
(d) If she starts speaking and eating.
4. What does Dr. Summer encounter before he finds the psychiatrists office?
(a) Both of these.
(b) Mazes of hallways.
(c) Sullen guards.
(d) None of these.
5. What is the name of the head of the Reformatory?
(a) Dr. George Washington.
(b) Dr. Thomas Levering.
(c) Dr. George Winton.
(d) Dr. Tanya Levory
6. What is Hatter directing the other young people in the room to do while Dr. Summer is there?
(a) She has them in three single-file rows, marching in place.
(b) She has them in two single-file rows, marching.
(c) She has them in one line, jogging in place.
(d) She has them doing a ritualistic dance.
7. What does Hatter refuse to wear?
(a) Her prison dress.
(b) Her shoes.
(c) Her prison number.
(d) Her glasses.
8. What does Dr. Summer learn when he returns to the Reformatory?
(a) Hatter is still refusing to cooperate or speak.
(b) Hatter is asking for Dr. Summer.
(c) Hatter is being transferred to the state hospital.
(d) Hatter's sentence at the Reformatory has been extended.
9. Why does Dr. Summer beg Hatter to eat lunch in her cell?
(a) He is afraid she is trying to starve herself.
(b) Neither of these.
(c) He is afraid she will not be brought food after he leaves.
(d) Both of these.
10. Where does Dr. Summer want to stay, if he comes back to the Reformatory?
(a) At the local hotel.
(b) In Hatter's cell.
(c) In the cell next to Hatter.
(d) In the guest cottage.
11. Why is it thought that putting the girls in the "dog house" is an effective punishment?
(a) Because it is humiliating.
(b) Because it separates the girls from the rest of the group.
(c) Because it is painful.
(d) Because it makes them very upset.
12. What information does Dr. Summer use to form his initial opinion of Hatter?
(a) What he hears from other people.
(b) Her medical files.
(c) Information from her parents.
(d) His first meeting with her.
13. What is the name of the psychiatrist who has asked for Dr. Summer's help?
(a) Dr. Troy Levering.
(b) Dr. Thomas Levering.
(c) Dr. Thomas Levitt.
(d) Dr. Tanya Levory.
14. What does Dr. Summer offer Hatter in her cell?
(a) He offers her some juice.
(b) He offers her a cup of coffee.
(c) He offers her a cup of tea.
(d) He offers her some water.
15. On what condition does the Reformatory psychiatrist agree to let Dr. Summer return and stay where he wishes?
(a) That Dr. Summer takes full responsibility for Hatter's reform.
(b) That Dr. Summer work closely with him on Hatter's reform.
(c) That Dr. Summer takes responsibility for his own safety.
(d) That Dr. Summer no longer fights with the guards or inmates.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what Indian tribe does Hatter Fox belong?
2. What does Mango do to help Dr. Summer get settled?
3. Why does Dr. Summer decide to leave for a few days?
4. Where does Hatter injure Dr. Summer?
5. How does Dr. Summer describe the way Hatter is kept?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)