|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Dr. Summer decide to spend some time a few days after he speaks to Hatter?
(a) Los Angeles.
2. Where does Dr. Summer become a doctor when he first meets Hatter?
(a) A free Indian Health Clinic.
(b) The New Mexico Health Center.
(c) The Bureau of Indian Health.
(d) The Bureau of Indian Affairs.
3. What does Hatter smear on her face and clothes when Dr. Summer meets her?
(b) None of these.
4. Why does Dr. Summer decide to leave for a few days?
(a) He is asked to leave for a few days by his boss.
(b) He has to care for a sick family member.
(c) He is disturbed by the violence involved in his job.
(d) He is recovering after Hatter attacks him.
5. How does Dr. Summer find Hatter in her cell?
(a) She is standing in the corner with her wrists chained together.
(b) She is chained to the wall.
(c) She is chained to her cot.
(d) She is in a straight jacket.
6. What does Dr. Summer tell Hatter before leaving?
(a) He does not understand how to help her.
(b) None of these.
(c) Have someone call him if she wants to talk.
(d) He has given up on her.
7. Where is the State Reformatory for Girls located?
(b) El Paso.
(c) Santa Fe.
8. Who is Dr. Summer called in to treat when he meets Hatter?
(a) A girl who has slit her wrists.
(b) Hatter, who has been wounded in a fight.
(c) A boy who has slit his wrists.
(d) Another girl who Hatter has injured in a fight.
9. When does Dr. Summer call the psychiatrist at the Reformatory?
(a) He calls the psychiatrist the next evening.
(b) He calls the psychiatrist later that same night.
(c) He calls the psychiatrist the next morning.
(d) He calls the psychiatrist a couple of days later.
10. On what documents is the story based or built from?
(a) The clinic files on Hatter along with Dr. Summer's brief interactions with her.
(b) Dr. Summer's notebooks and notes on Hatter.
(c) Hatter's diary.
(d) None of these.
11. What does Dr. Summer do when Hatter refuses to eat her lunch?
(a) He tries to force feed her.
(b) He tells her she does not have to eat.
(c) He threatens to leave her in the cell alone.
(d) He asks Claude to force feed her.
12. What does the head of the reformatory offer Dr. Summer to help in Hatter's treatment?
(a) He offers to let Dr. Summer stay in a renovated cell area.
(b) He offers to pay for Dr. Summer's hotel.
(c) He offers to let Dr. Summer stay in a guesthouse at the facility.
(d) He offers to move Hatter into an area with Dr. Summer.
13. What is Hatter directing the other young people in the room to do while Dr. Summer is there?
(a) She has them in two single-file rows, marching.
(b) She has them doing a ritualistic dance.
(c) She has them in one line, jogging in place.
(d) She has them in three single-file rows, marching in place.
14. How does the psychiatrist explain Hatter's extreme punishment?
(a) She had slashed twelve mattresses the day before.
(b) She had injured another inmate.
(c) All of these.
(d) She had attempted to escape.
15. What does the Reformatory psychiatrist tell Dr. Summer is the only way Hatter will leave the basement early?
(a) She will never leave the basement early.
(b) If she starts speaking and eating.
(c) If she is sick enough to go to the infirmary.
(d) If she is transferred to the state hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of <i>Hatter Fox</i>?
2. Who summons Mango to help Dr. Summer settle into his new cottage?
3. What is Dr. Summer's first name?
4. What does Dr. Summer think he sees outside in the facility courtyard?
5. Who believes putting the girls in the "dog house" is an effective punishment?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)