|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new tool does Brian make?
2. How does Brian trap the potential food?
3. What does Brian narrowly avoid stepping on in the woods?
4. What valuable thing does Brian learn?
5. What does Brian discover when he first wakes up in the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what made Brian notice the fish for the first time?
2. Why is it important for Brian to mark off the days?
3. Discuss the exchange between Brian and the wolf.
4. What did the storm and wreckage of the campsite teach Brian?
5. Why was Brian determined to get back into the plane?
6. How did Brian figure out the second noise outside was a snapping turtle?
7. Explain how mistakes in the wilderness are different from mistakes in city life?
8. How does Brian's previous exposure to nature shows help him?
9. Why was Brian reluctant to eat the eggs?
10. Why was Brian against leaving the fire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The moose attack was completely unexpected. Why would the moose attack for no reason? Was Brian provoking the moose without knowing it? How did Brian use his knowledge and intuition to keep the moose away? What would you have done if you were caught in a similar situation?
Essay Topic 2
When Brian's mother gave him the hatchet, he did not really want to take it. Throughout the story, the hatchet became increasingly important. When did Brian first realize that the hatchet may save him? What does the hatchet symbolize? Will having the hatchet change Brian's outlook on his own capabilities? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
After Brian returned home, he was approached by reporters and others who wanted to turn his story into a book or movie. Brian was interested in the initial footage but was not concerned at all when the book deal fell through. Why was the publicity unimportant to Brian? What things were more important than receiving money or fame? How would you feel in this situation?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)