|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these things was not in Brian's way to getting inside the plane?
2. Why did Brian have a hard time figuring out what animal had visited?
3. Which of these things does not hinder Brian from building a new fire?
4. What morning activity does Brian see as being silly?
5. What is Brian's reward for all the hard work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is proven by Brian's refusal to give up?
2. Explain how mistakes in the wilderness are different from mistakes in city life?
3. How was Brian beginning to change?
4. How does Brian's previous exposure to nature shows help him?
5. Why was Brian against leaving the fire?
6. Explain the fascination of the creatures in the water.
7. What good thing came out of Brian's frustration at the lack of entry into the plane?
8. What was the biggest danger of going back into the plane?
9. How did Brian figure out the second noise outside was a snapping turtle?
10. Examine Brian's sense of pride.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brian often referred to educational and nature TV shows. What benefit were those shows to Brian and how did he use the information provided on the TV?
Essay Topic 2
The pilot's heart attack left Brian in the plane with no skill or instruction. Do you think this was a standard procedure? Should there have been a co-pilot? What might you have done in this situation?
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the story, Brian is upset with his mother over "The Secret." Do you think it was helpful or harmful for Brian to stay quiet about it? How might the story have changed if Brian had discussed the situation and the divorce with his mother?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)