|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Brian's main concern about the new food?
2. Brian chided himself for being what?
3. What does Brian consider his survival skills to be?
4. What tries to steal Brian's food?
5. Why did Brian refuse to leave the fire longer than a few moments?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Brian figure out the second noise outside was a snapping turtle?
2. What was Brian's reaction to the emergency transmitter?
3. Explain what made Brian notice the fish for the first time?
4. How was Brian beginning to change?
5. How does Brian's previous exposure to nature shows help him?
6. Examine the reason the fish spear did not work.
7. Explain how mistakes in the wilderness are different from mistakes in city life?
8. What was the biggest danger of going back into the plane?
9. Why was Brian reluctant to eat the eggs?
10. Examine Brian's sense of pride.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Brian returned home, he was approached by reporters and others who wanted to turn his story into a book or movie. Brian was interested in the initial footage but was not concerned at all when the book deal fell through. Why was the publicity unimportant to Brian? What things were more important than receiving money or fame? How would you feel in this situation?
Essay Topic 2
The pilot's heart attack left Brian in the plane with no skill or instruction. Do you think this was a standard procedure? Should there have been a co-pilot? What might you have done in this situation?
Essay Topic 3
Brian found a bush of "gut cherries" and devoured many of them. Since Brian knew nothing about gut cherries, was it a good idea to eat the berries? Examine what might have happened if the berries were highly poisonous. (Choke cherries, aka "gut cherries" are poisonous in large quantities, especially when they are overripe.)
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)