|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Brian have a hard time figuring out what animal had visited?
2. Brian chided himself for being what?
3. What type of bird does Brian spot near the lake?
4. What is Brian's reward for all the hard work?
5. What image scares Brian the most?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what made Brian notice the fish for the first time?
2. Examine Brian's sense of pride.
3. Explain why Brian referred to the birds as foolbirds.
4. Explain the fascination of the creatures in the water.
5. Discuss the exchange between Brian and the wolf.
6. Why was Brian determined to get back into the plane?
7. Why is it important for Brian to mark off the days?
8. How did the approach of the plane change Brian's attitudes?
9. Explain how mistakes in the wilderness are different from mistakes in city life?
10. Explain why it was important for Brian to clean up the camp.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The pilot's heart attack left Brian in the plane with no skill or instruction. Do you think this was a standard procedure? Should there have been a co-pilot? What might you have done in this situation?
Essay Topic 2
Once the plane landed, Brian needed water to drink but was reluctant to drink the water out of the lake. Besides the presence of the dead pilot, what other reasons did Brian have for being hesitant? Were they valid reasons? What would you have done?
Essay Topic 3
One of the first items Brian focused on in the survival pack was the emergency transmitter yet he put it aside without much examination. Why did Brian dismiss the transmitter without thoroughly testing it? How might the water have affected this life saving item? How is it possible that the pilot heard the transmitter but Brian could not?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)