|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brian use for fish bait?
2. What causes Brian to run to the top of the ridge?
3. Which of these things was not in Brian's way to getting inside the plane?
4. Why does Brian feel so hopeless?
5. What morning activity does Brian see as being silly?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the approach of the plane change Brian's attitudes?
2. What was the biggest danger of going back into the plane?
3. How did Brian figure out the second noise outside was a snapping turtle?
4. What good thing came out of Brian's frustration at the lack of entry into the plane?
5. Explain why Brian referred to the birds as foolbirds.
6. Explain what made Brian notice the fish for the first time?
7. Why was Brian against leaving the fire?
8. Examine the reason the fish spear did not work.
9. What was Brian's reaction to the emergency transmitter?
10. Discuss the exchange between Brian and the wolf.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The pilot's heart attack left Brian in the plane with no skill or instruction. Do you think this was a standard procedure? Should there have been a co-pilot? What might you have done in this situation?
Essay Topic 2
On more than one occasion, Brian had encounters with the animals. Most notably the meeting with the wolf and the bear. Examine animal intelligence and how underestimating that intelligence might have been a fatal error for Brian. What might have happened if Brian had tried to dominate the animals rather than respect their space? How would you feel if confronted by a bear?
Essay Topic 3
After Brian returned home, he was approached by reporters and others who wanted to turn his story into a book or movie. Brian was interested in the initial footage but was not concerned at all when the book deal fell through. Why was the publicity unimportant to Brian? What things were more important than receiving money or fame? How would you feel in this situation?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)