|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A group of what lives on the opposite shore?
2. Which of these is not an issue with storing food?
3. What image scares Brian the most?
4. What causes Brian to be rescued?
5. Brian chided himself for being what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine the reason the fish spear did not work.
2. Why was Brian against leaving the fire?
3. How did Brian figure out the second noise outside was a snapping turtle?
4. Why is it important for Brian to mark off the days?
5. Examine Brian's sense of pride.
6. Explain how mistakes in the wilderness are different from mistakes in city life?
7. What was Brian's reaction to the emergency transmitter?
8. How did the approach of the plane change Brian's attitudes?
9. Explain why it was important for Brian to clean up the camp.
10. Discuss the exchange between Brian and the wolf.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brian's determination helped him gain the strength to build the shelter. How did Brian know how to build a lean-to? Do you think his knowledge was gained from television, real life experience, or instruction? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Brian found a bush of "gut cherries" and devoured many of them. Since Brian knew nothing about gut cherries, was it a good idea to eat the berries? Examine what might have happened if the berries were highly poisonous. (Choke cherries, aka "gut cherries" are poisonous in large quantities, especially when they are overripe.)
Essay Topic 3
Brian began to take charge when he decided that the camp needed to be cleaned and all things organized. Why was this an important step? How did Brian begin to change at this time? How does a clean camp change the situation?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)