|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What noise startles Brian from his cooking chores?
2. Which of these is not one of Brian's "First Days?"
3. What does Brian do with the items he takes from the plane?
4. What new tool does Brian make?
5. Which of these items was not seen in the plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what made Brian notice the fish for the first time?
2. How was Brian beginning to change?
3. What did the storm and wreckage of the campsite teach Brian?
4. Why was Brian reluctant to eat the eggs?
5. What is proven by Brian's refusal to give up?
6. What was Brian's reaction to the emergency transmitter?
7. How did Brian feel when the rescue plane landed?
8. How does Brian's previous exposure to nature shows help him?
9. What good thing came out of Brian's frustration at the lack of entry into the plane?
10. Explain how mistakes in the wilderness are different from mistakes in city life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Brian returned home, he was approached by reporters and others who wanted to turn his story into a book or movie. Brian was interested in the initial footage but was not concerned at all when the book deal fell through. Why was the publicity unimportant to Brian? What things were more important than receiving money or fame? How would you feel in this situation?
Essay Topic 2
The confrontation between Brian and the wolf showed mutual respect and no wish to harm. What does it mean? Why was this exchange important?
Essay Topic 3
The confrontation with the bear was scary and exciting. Why did Brian stop running? Examine the encounter from the bear's point of view. Discuss how a human might provoke a bear? Examine humans as threats to animals and their young.
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)