|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What important thing does Brian notice next time he sees a bear?
2. What was the next tool Brian created?
3. The bird encouraged Brian to what?
4. How does Brian trap the potential food?
5. What types of trees were dead on the ground?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine the reason the fish spear did not work.
2. Why was Brian reluctant to eat the eggs?
3. How did the approach of the plane change Brian's attitudes?
4. How does Brian's previous exposure to nature shows help him?
5. Explain what made Brian notice the fish for the first time?
6. How was Brian beginning to change?
7. What was Brian's reaction to the emergency transmitter?
8. Why was Brian determined to get back into the plane?
9. Explain why Brian referred to the birds as foolbirds.
10. How did Brian figure out the second noise outside was a snapping turtle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brian's determination helped him gain the strength to build the shelter. How did Brian know how to build a lean-to? Do you think his knowledge was gained from television, real life experience, or instruction? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The moose attack was completely unexpected. Why would the moose attack for no reason? Was Brian provoking the moose without knowing it? How did Brian use his knowledge and intuition to keep the moose away? What would you have done if you were caught in a similar situation?
Essay Topic 3
On more than one occasion, Brian had encounters with the animals. Most notably the meeting with the wolf and the bear. Examine animal intelligence and how underestimating that intelligence might have been a fatal error for Brian. What might have happened if Brian had tried to dominate the animals rather than respect their space? How would you feel if confronted by a bear?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)