|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these things was not in Brian's way to getting inside the plane?
2. Which best explains Brian's condition after he gets out of the plane?
3. From where had the animal come?
4. Which of these things does not hinder Brian from building a new fire?
5. Why couldn't Brian catch any fish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Brian reluctant to eat the eggs?
2. What good thing came out of Brian's frustration at the lack of entry into the plane?
3. Explain how mistakes in the wilderness are different from mistakes in city life?
4. What is proven by Brian's refusal to give up?
5. Examine Brian's sense of pride.
6. What was the biggest danger of going back into the plane?
7. What did the storm and wreckage of the campsite teach Brian?
8. Explain why it was important for Brian to clean up the camp.
9. What was Brian's reaction to the emergency transmitter?
10. Explain why Brian referred to the birds as foolbirds.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The moose attack was completely unexpected. Why would the moose attack for no reason? Was Brian provoking the moose without knowing it? How did Brian use his knowledge and intuition to keep the moose away? What would you have done if you were caught in a similar situation?
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the story, Brian is upset with his mother over "The Secret." Do you think it was helpful or harmful for Brian to stay quiet about it? How might the story have changed if Brian had discussed the situation and the divorce with his mother?
Essay Topic 3
The pilot's heart attack left Brian in the plane with no skill or instruction. Do you think this was a standard procedure? Should there have been a co-pilot? What might you have done in this situation?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)