|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Brian so angry with himself?
2. What important thing does Brian notice next time he sees a bear?
3. Which of these items was not seen in the plane?
4. Why did Brian refuse to leave the fire longer than a few moments?
5. Which of these is not one of Brian's "First Days?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Brian figure out the second noise outside was a snapping turtle?
2. Examine the reason the fish spear did not work.
3. What was Brian's reaction to the emergency transmitter?
4. How was Brian beginning to change?
5. Examine Brian's sense of pride.
6. Why is it important for Brian to mark off the days?
7. Explain why it was important for Brian to clean up the camp.
8. Discuss the exchange between Brian and the wolf.
9. Explain why Brian referred to the birds as foolbirds.
10. What good thing came out of Brian's frustration at the lack of entry into the plane?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What inherent skills and personality traits did Brian possess that especially helped him in his situation? Examine the ways he was able to push past his coping skills to rise to the occasion during his ordeal.
Essay Topic 2
Brian's dream about the fire was insightful and prophetic, but only after Brian figured out what they were trying to say. Why do you think that the dream was cryptic? Why were Brian's father and Terry mute?
Essay Topic 3
When Brian's mother gave him the hatchet, he did not really want to take it. Throughout the story, the hatchet became increasingly important. When did Brian first realize that the hatchet may save him? What does the hatchet symbolize? Will having the hatchet change Brian's outlook on his own capabilities? Explain.
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)