|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these things did not happen after Brian became depressed?
2. What type of wood is used to create the new tool?
3. What strange weather occurrence scared Brian?
4. What bright object catches Brian's eye?
5. What prevents Brian from getting into the plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why it was important for Brian to clean up the camp.
2. How did Brian feel when the rescue plane landed?
3. Examine the reason the fish spear did not work.
4. What did the storm and wreckage of the campsite teach Brian?
5. Discuss the exchange between Brian and the wolf.
6. What is proven by Brian's refusal to give up?
7. Explain why Brian referred to the birds as foolbirds.
8. Explain how mistakes in the wilderness are different from mistakes in city life?
9. Explain the fascination of the creatures in the water.
10. Why was Brian determined to get back into the plane?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Brian's mother gave him the hatchet, he did not really want to take it. Throughout the story, the hatchet became increasingly important. When did Brian first realize that the hatchet may save him? What does the hatchet symbolize? Will having the hatchet change Brian's outlook on his own capabilities? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The pilot's heart attack left Brian in the plane with no skill or instruction. Do you think this was a standard procedure? Should there have been a co-pilot? What might you have done in this situation?
Essay Topic 3
What inherent skills and personality traits did Brian possess that especially helped him in his situation? Examine the ways he was able to push past his coping skills to rise to the occasion during his ordeal.
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)