|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Brian's main concern about the new food?
2. What type of wood is used to create the new tool?
3. Which of these things did not happen after Brian became depressed?
4. How does Brian keep track of time?
5. Which of these items was not seen in the plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Brian figure out the second noise outside was a snapping turtle?
2. What did the storm and wreckage of the campsite teach Brian?
3. Why is it important for Brian to mark off the days?
4. Discuss the exchange between Brian and the wolf.
5. How does Brian's previous exposure to nature shows help him?
6. What is proven by Brian's refusal to give up?
7. Why was Brian determined to get back into the plane?
8. How did Brian feel when the rescue plane landed?
9. What was Brian's reaction to the emergency transmitter?
10. How was Brian beginning to change?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Once the plane landed, Brian needed water to drink but was reluctant to drink the water out of the lake. Besides the presence of the dead pilot, what other reasons did Brian have for being hesitant? Were they valid reasons? What would you have done?
Essay Topic 2
When Brian's mother gave him the hatchet, he did not really want to take it. Throughout the story, the hatchet became increasingly important. When did Brian first realize that the hatchet may save him? What does the hatchet symbolize? Will having the hatchet change Brian's outlook on his own capabilities? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the story, Brian is upset with his mother over "The Secret." Do you think it was helpful or harmful for Brian to stay quiet about it? How might the story have changed if Brian had discussed the situation and the divorce with his mother?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)