|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What image scares Brian the most?
2. What types of trees were dead on the ground?
3. Which of these things did not happen after Brian became depressed?
4. What does Brian say to the pilot after he identifies himself?
5. What is Brian's reward for all the hard work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the fascination of the creatures in the water.
2. How was Brian beginning to change?
3. Why is it important for Brian to mark off the days?
4. How did the approach of the plane change Brian's attitudes?
5. Explain why it was important for Brian to clean up the camp.
6. Why was Brian reluctant to eat the eggs?
7. Discuss the exchange between Brian and the wolf.
8. Explain what made Brian notice the fish for the first time?
9. Why was Brian determined to get back into the plane?
10. What was Brian's reaction to the emergency transmitter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the first items Brian focused on in the survival pack was the emergency transmitter yet he put it aside without much examination. Why did Brian dismiss the transmitter without thoroughly testing it? How might the water have affected this life saving item? How is it possible that the pilot heard the transmitter but Brian could not?
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the story, Brian is upset with his mother over "The Secret." Do you think it was helpful or harmful for Brian to stay quiet about it? How might the story have changed if Brian had discussed the situation and the divorce with his mother?
Essay Topic 3
Brian's dream about the fire was insightful and prophetic, but only after Brian figured out what they were trying to say. Why do you think that the dream was cryptic? Why were Brian's father and Terry mute?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)