|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of bird does Brian spot near the lake?
2. Which of these is not an issue with storing food?
3. What animal came toward Brian's shelter in the night?
4. Which of these things does not hinder Brian from building a new fire?
5. What large item does Brian try to retrieve from the water?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what made Brian notice the fish for the first time?
2. How was Brian beginning to change?
3. Why was Brian determined to get back into the plane?
4. What is proven by Brian's refusal to give up?
5. What was the biggest danger of going back into the plane?
6. What good thing came out of Brian's frustration at the lack of entry into the plane?
7. Explain the fascination of the creatures in the water.
8. Why was Brian reluctant to eat the eggs?
9. Explain how mistakes in the wilderness are different from mistakes in city life?
10. How did Brian figure out the second noise outside was a snapping turtle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of the story, Brian's relationship with his mother was strained. After Brian returned home, the relationship seemed to smooth out. What made Brian realize that his mother had to have her own life? At what point does Brian stop being so angry with his mother? Do you think Brian will ever accept his mother's boyfriend?
Essay Topic 2
The pilot's heart attack left Brian in the plane with no skill or instruction. Do you think this was a standard procedure? Should there have been a co-pilot? What might you have done in this situation?
Essay Topic 3
Brian began to take charge when he decided that the camp needed to be cleaned and all things organized. Why was this an important step? How did Brian begin to change at this time? How does a clean camp change the situation?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)