|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Brian feel so hopeless?
2. What tries to steal Brian's food?
3. The bird encouraged Brian to what?
4. What animal came toward Brian's shelter in the night?
5. Which of these things was not in Brian's way to getting inside the plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the storm and wreckage of the campsite teach Brian?
2. Discuss the exchange between Brian and the wolf.
3. Why was Brian reluctant to eat the eggs?
4. Explain what made Brian notice the fish for the first time?
5. Why is it important for Brian to mark off the days?
6. Explain how mistakes in the wilderness are different from mistakes in city life?
7. What good thing came out of Brian's frustration at the lack of entry into the plane?
8. Examine Brian's sense of pride.
9. Explain why Brian referred to the birds as foolbirds.
10. How was Brian beginning to change?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brian's dream about the fire was insightful and prophetic, but only after Brian figured out what they were trying to say. Why do you think that the dream was cryptic? Why were Brian's father and Terry mute?
Essay Topic 2
After Brian returned home, he was approached by reporters and others who wanted to turn his story into a book or movie. Brian was interested in the initial footage but was not concerned at all when the book deal fell through. Why was the publicity unimportant to Brian? What things were more important than receiving money or fame? How would you feel in this situation?
Essay Topic 3
Brian kept track of his "First Days" as a way of marking time in an unconventional way. Two different times, Brian celebrated his rebirth into a new person. Explain why it was important for Brian to realize that he was evolving and the purpose of keeping track of those days.
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)