|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what did Brian attribute his strange frame of mind?
2. What relentlessly attacked Brian?
3. Brian compared his attackers to what?
4. For what type of food does Brian search?
5. At night Brian had to protect himself from what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name the three things Brian needs most to survive in the woods.
2. Name at least two things for which Brian should be grateful.
3. Explain why the smell of the animal frightened Brian.
4. How did the pilot's death affect Brian's location?
5. What is lost when Brian learns about the secret?
6. Examine how Brian knows as much as he does about living in the woods.
7. Explain why Brian compares flying the plane to his home life.
8. Explain how Brian feels when the plane finally stops.
9. What encourages Brian not to give up on the fire?
10. Explain why throwing the hatchet was foolish.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brian's dream about the fire was insightful and prophetic, but only after Brian figured out what they were trying to say. Why do you think that the dream was cryptic? Why were Brian's father and Terry mute?
Essay Topic 2
On more than one occasion, Brian had encounters with the animals. Most notably the meeting with the wolf and the bear. Examine animal intelligence and how underestimating that intelligence might have been a fatal error for Brian. What might have happened if Brian had tried to dominate the animals rather than respect their space? How would you feel if confronted by a bear?
Essay Topic 3
The confrontation between Brian and the wolf showed mutual respect and no wish to harm. What does it mean? Why was this exchange important?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)