|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first thing the plane hit before it landed?
2. Who appeared to Brian first in his dream?
3. Where did Brian spot the bear?
4. Which of these did not happen after the engine coughed?
5. What is The Secret?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name some ways in which Brian could tell his location?
2. What are Brian's choices after the pilot dies?
3. What is the purpose of building a shelter against the rock?
4. Why were Brian and the sparks alike?
5. Explain why throwing the hatchet was foolish.
6. What is lost when Brian learns about the secret?
7. Explain why Brian blames his mother for the current situation.
8. Why was Brian so afraid of an animal outside the shelter?
9. Explain why the smell of the animal frightened Brian.
10. Name at least two things for which Brian should be grateful.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of the story, Brian is upset with his mother over "The Secret." Do you think it was helpful or harmful for Brian to stay quiet about it? How might the story have changed if Brian had discussed the situation and the divorce with his mother?
Essay Topic 2
Brian's determination helped him gain the strength to build the shelter. How did Brian know how to build a lean-to? Do you think his knowledge was gained from television, real life experience, or instruction? Why?
Essay Topic 3
One of the first items Brian focused on in the survival pack was the emergency transmitter yet he put it aside without much examination. Why did Brian dismiss the transmitter without thoroughly testing it? How might the water have affected this life saving item? How is it possible that the pilot heard the transmitter but Brian could not?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)