|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What broke the plane's windshield?
2. What happened to Brian's hatchet?
3. Which of these things in relation to the lake were not mentioned by Brian?
4. After the engine was silent, what was the only noise Brian heard?
5. How does Brian haul food back to the shelter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Brian so afraid of an animal outside the shelter?
2. Explain how Brian feels when the plane finally stops.
3. Name some ways in which Brian could tell his location?
4. Explain why it is important for Brian to learn to cooperate with nature.
5. What valuable piece of information does Brian remember about the bear?
6. Explain how Brian takes stock of his options.
7. Examine why landing on the ground might have been better.
8. What is lost when Brian learns about the secret?
9. What are Brian's feelings toward his mother at this time?
10. What makes Brian hook the hatchet to his belt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brian tried the best he could to fly or land the plan even though he was terrified. Do you think that Brian was in shock or overcame the fear to take control? Discuss how Brian might have felt and what could be done about it.
Essay Topic 2
What inherent skills and personality traits did Brian possess that especially helped him in his situation? Examine the ways he was able to push past his coping skills to rise to the occasion during his ordeal.
Essay Topic 3
On more than one occasion, Brian had encounters with the animals. Most notably the meeting with the wolf and the bear. Examine animal intelligence and how underestimating that intelligence might have been a fatal error for Brian. What might have happened if Brian had tried to dominate the animals rather than respect their space? How would you feel if confronted by a bear?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)