|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What encouraged Brian to continue trying to create fire?
2. Where was the rest of the food kept?
3. What animal did Brian think he saw in the pond?
4. Which piece of information was not vital to discovering the plane's location?
5. How could the hatchet help Brian survive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why it is important for Brian to learn to cooperate with nature.
2. What makes Brian hook the hatchet to his belt?
3. Why was Brian so afraid of an animal outside the shelter?
4. How did the pilot's death affect Brian's location?
5. Name the three things Brian needs most to survive in the woods.
6. Examine why it was not possible for Brian to hear his father or Terry in the dreams.
7. What valuable piece of information does Brian remember about the bear?
8. What benefits were created by having a fire?
9. Examine why landing on the ground might have been better.
10. Explain why the smell of the animal frightened Brian.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brian found a bush of "gut cherries" and devoured many of them. Since Brian knew nothing about gut cherries, was it a good idea to eat the berries? Examine what might have happened if the berries were highly poisonous. (Choke cherries, aka "gut cherries" are poisonous in large quantities, especially when they are overripe.)
Essay Topic 2
One of the first items Brian focused on in the survival pack was the emergency transmitter yet he put it aside without much examination. Why did Brian dismiss the transmitter without thoroughly testing it? How might the water have affected this life saving item? How is it possible that the pilot heard the transmitter but Brian could not?
Essay Topic 3
Brian's determination helped him gain the strength to build the shelter. How did Brian know how to build a lean-to? Do you think his knowledge was gained from television, real life experience, or instruction? Why?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)