|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brian think about when he's trying to go back to sleep?
2. What did Brian notice when he touched the pilot?
3. How long was Brian supposed to stay with his father?
4. What happened when Brian realized the plane was going to run out of fuel?
5. At first, Brian could only see what through the windshield of the plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What valuable piece of information does Brian remember about the bear?
2. Examine why it was not possible for Brian to hear his father or Terry in the dreams.
3. Name at least two things for which Brian should be grateful.
4. Explain how Brian takes stock of his options.
5. Why were Brian and the sparks alike?
6. Why is flying the plane the only option in the first few hours?
7. Name some ways in which Brian could tell his location?
8. Explain why throwing the hatchet was foolish.
9. Describe Brian's attitude when leaving for Canada.
10. Name the three things Brian needs most to survive in the woods.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The confrontation with the bear was scary and exciting. Why did Brian stop running? Examine the encounter from the bear's point of view. Discuss how a human might provoke a bear? Examine humans as threats to animals and their young.
Essay Topic 2
What inherent skills and personality traits did Brian possess that especially helped him in his situation? Examine the ways he was able to push past his coping skills to rise to the occasion during his ordeal.
Essay Topic 3
Brian tried the best he could to fly or land the plan even though he was terrified. Do you think that Brian was in shock or overcame the fear to take control? Discuss how Brian might have felt and what could be done about it.
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)