|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Brian think he couldn't land in the water?
2. Which of these is not a benefit of having a fire?
3. Where was the airport located where Brian met the pilot?
4. Where did Brian build his shelter?
5. What was Brian's best hope for rescue?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what made Brian notice the fish for the first time?
2. Examine Brian's sense of pride.
3. How did the pilot's death affect Brian's location?
4. Explain why Brian chooses the water as the place to land the plane.
5. What is one of the health risks Brian faces in the first couple of days after the crash?
6. Examine why Brian does not tell Terry about his mother?
7. Explain the fascination of the creatures in the water.
8. Name some ways in which Brian could tell his location?
9. What is proven by Brian's refusal to give up?
10. What benefits were created by having a fire?
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of the story, Brian's relationship with his mother was strained. After Brian returned home, the relationship seemed to smooth out. What made Brian realize that his mother had to have her own life? At what point does Brian stop being so angry with his mother? Do you think Brian will ever accept his mother's boyfriend?
Essay Topic 2
The moose attack was completely unexpected. Why would the moose attack for no reason? Was Brian provoking the moose without knowing it? How did Brian use his knowledge and intuition to keep the moose away? What would you have done if you were caught in a similar situation?
Essay Topic 3
What inherent skills and personality traits did Brian possess that especially helped him in his situation? Examine the ways he was able to push past his coping skills to rise to the occasion during his ordeal.
This section contains 1,272 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)