|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who always talked about being positive?
2. Before going to bed, what did Brian do?
3. What do the pedals on the floor of the plane control?
4. When did Brian's father move out?
5. What food did Brian wish for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brian get sick from the gut cherries?
2. What is lost when Brian learns about the secret?
3. Why were Brian and the sparks alike?
4. Why was Brian so afraid of an animal outside the shelter?
5. Explain how Brian feels when the plane finally stops.
6. Discuss why Brian is upset by his reflection.
7. What is the purpose of building a shelter against the rock?
8. Examine why it was not possible for Brian to hear his father or Terry in the dreams.
9. Explain why throwing the hatchet was foolish.
10. What makes Brian hook the hatchet to his belt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Brian's mother gave him the hatchet, he did not really want to take it. Throughout the story, the hatchet became increasingly important. When did Brian first realize that the hatchet may save him? What does the hatchet symbolize? Will having the hatchet change Brian's outlook on his own capabilities? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What inherent skills and personality traits did Brian possess that especially helped him in his situation? Examine the ways he was able to push past his coping skills to rise to the occasion during his ordeal.
Essay Topic 3
Brian tried the best he could to fly or land the plan even though he was terrified. Do you think that Brian was in shock or overcame the fear to take control? Discuss how Brian might have felt and what could be done about it.
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)