|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What food did Brian wish for?
2. What was the missing element to create a good fire?
3. Landing a plane on the water is like hitting what?
4. Who always talked about being positive?
5. When did Brian's father move out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What good thing came out of Brian's frustration at the lack of entry into the plane?
2. What is one of the health risks Brian faces in the first couple of days after the crash?
3. Explain why the smell of the animal frightened Brian.
4. Discuss what might have happened if Brian was unable to remove the quills from his leg.
5. What is proven by Brian's refusal to give up?
6. What encourages Brian not to give up on the fire?
7. Name the three things Brian needs most to survive in the woods.
8. Examine the reason the fish spear did not work.
9. How does Brian feel when he flies the plane for the first time?
10. Name some ways in which Brian could tell his location?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The moose attack was completely unexpected. Why would the moose attack for no reason? Was Brian provoking the moose without knowing it? How did Brian use his knowledge and intuition to keep the moose away? What would you have done if you were caught in a similar situation?
Essay Topic 2
Brian's dream about the fire was insightful and prophetic, but only after Brian figured out what they were trying to say. Why do you think that the dream was cryptic? Why were Brian's father and Terry mute?
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the story, Brian is upset with his mother over "The Secret." Do you think it was helpful or harmful for Brian to stay quiet about it? How might the story have changed if Brian had discussed the situation and the divorce with his mother?
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)