|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Brian get out of the plane?
2. What wakes Brian?
3. When did Brian's father move out?
4. Which of these things doesn't Brian remember about that day?
5. Where does the pilot sit in the plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Brian hook the hatchet to his belt?
2. Explain why throwing the hatchet was foolish.
3. What valuable piece of information does Brian remember about the bear?
4. Examine why it was not possible for Brian to hear his father or Terry in the dreams.
5. Examine why landing on the ground might have been better.
6. Name some ways in which Brian could tell his location?
7. Explain why Brian blames his mother for the current situation.
8. What are Brian's feelings toward his mother at this time?
9. Name at least two things for which Brian should be grateful.
10. In what way does Brian consider himself to be lucky?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Brian's mother gave him the hatchet, he did not really want to take it. Throughout the story, the hatchet became increasingly important. When did Brian first realize that the hatchet may save him? What does the hatchet symbolize? Will having the hatchet change Brian's outlook on his own capabilities? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The moose attack was completely unexpected. Why would the moose attack for no reason? Was Brian provoking the moose without knowing it? How did Brian use his knowledge and intuition to keep the moose away? What would you have done if you were caught in a similar situation?
Essay Topic 3
The confrontation with the bear was scary and exciting. Why did Brian stop running? Examine the encounter from the bear's point of view. Discuss how a human might provoke a bear? Examine humans as threats to animals and their young.
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)