|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Brian injured?
2. What accessory comes with the hatchet?
3. For what did Brian wish?
4. What was Terry doing in the park?
5. What is Brian's mother's secret?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Brian's attitude when leaving for Canada.
2. Discuss why Brian is upset by his reflection.
3. Why is flying the plane the only option in the first few hours?
4. Name at least two things for which Brian should be grateful.
5. Why does the plan to reach help through the radio fail?
6. What benefits were created by having a fire?
7. How does Brian know what is happening to the pilot?
8. What are Brian's choices after the pilot dies?
9. How did the pilot's death affect Brian's location?
10. Examine why it was not possible for Brian to hear his father or Terry in the dreams.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Brian's mother gave him the hatchet, he did not really want to take it. Throughout the story, the hatchet became increasingly important. When did Brian first realize that the hatchet may save him? What does the hatchet symbolize? Will having the hatchet change Brian's outlook on his own capabilities? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think that the gift of the hatchet was a peace offering to Brian, a simple gift, or mother's intuition? Examine the possibilities.
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the story, Brian's relationship with his mother was strained. After Brian returned home, the relationship seemed to smooth out. What made Brian realize that his mother had to have her own life? At what point does Brian stop being so angry with his mother? Do you think Brian will ever accept his mother's boyfriend?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)