|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hindered Brian's search for firewood?
2. What animal did Brian think he saw in the pond?
3. How much money does Brian have in his wallet?
4. Which of these did not happen after the engine coughed?
5. What prevented Brian from suffocating in the shelter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine why it was not possible for Brian to hear his father or Terry in the dreams.
2. Why is flying the plane the only option in the first few hours?
3. Why were Brian and the sparks alike?
4. Examine why Brian does not tell Terry about his mother?
5. Explain why throwing the hatchet was foolish.
6. Why does Brian get sick from the gut cherries?
7. What benefits were created by having a fire?
8. What are Brian's feelings toward his mother at this time?
9. What is lost when Brian learns about the secret?
10. Why was Brian so afraid of an animal outside the shelter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of the story, Brian's relationship with his mother was strained. After Brian returned home, the relationship seemed to smooth out. What made Brian realize that his mother had to have her own life? At what point does Brian stop being so angry with his mother? Do you think Brian will ever accept his mother's boyfriend?
Essay Topic 2
When Brian's mother gave him the hatchet, he did not really want to take it. Throughout the story, the hatchet became increasingly important. When did Brian first realize that the hatchet may save him? What does the hatchet symbolize? Will having the hatchet change Brian's outlook on his own capabilities? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The confrontation between Brian and the wolf showed mutual respect and no wish to harm. What does it mean? Why was this exchange important?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)