|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What accessory comes with the hatchet?
2. Who appeared to Brian first in his dream?
3. How does Brian haul food back to the shelter?
4. Where did Brian spot the bear?
5. What is the best tool Brian used to get help?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine how Brian knows as much as he does about living in the woods.
2. What is lost when Brian learns about the secret?
3. Describe Brian's attitude when leaving for Canada.
4. Explain why Brian blames his mother for the current situation.
5. Why is flying the plane the only option in the first few hours?
6. Explain how Brian takes stock of his options.
7. What makes Brian hook the hatchet to his belt?
8. Explain why the smell of the animal frightened Brian.
9. Explain why Brian compares flying the plane to his home life.
10. Discuss what might have happened if Brian was unable to remove the quills from his leg.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brian began to take charge when he decided that the camp needed to be cleaned and all things organized. Why was this an important step? How did Brian begin to change at this time? How does a clean camp change the situation?
Essay Topic 2
What inherent skills and personality traits did Brian possess that especially helped him in his situation? Examine the ways he was able to push past his coping skills to rise to the occasion during his ordeal.
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the story, Brian's relationship with his mother was strained. After Brian returned home, the relationship seemed to smooth out. What made Brian realize that his mother had to have her own life? At what point does Brian stop being so angry with his mother? Do you think Brian will ever accept his mother's boyfriend?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)