|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Brian compared his attackers to what?
2. What prevented Brian from suffocating in the shelter?
3. What led Brian to the food?
4. Why does Brian try to destroy his reflection?
5. Where did Brian hit his head?
Short Essay Questions
1. What encourages Brian not to give up on the fire?
2. What makes Brian hook the hatchet to his belt?
3. Why does Brian get sick from the gut cherries?
4. Name at least two things for which Brian should be grateful.
5. Examine why Brian does not tell Terry about his mother?
6. Explain why throwing the hatchet was foolish.
7. What is lost when Brian learns about the secret?
8. Explain why Brian chooses the water as the place to land the plane.
9. Explain why Brian blames his mother for the current situation.
10. Why does the plan to reach help through the radio fail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brian tried the best he could to fly or land the plan even though he was terrified. Do you think that Brian was in shock or overcame the fear to take control? Discuss how Brian might have felt and what could be done about it.
Essay Topic 2
The moose attack was completely unexpected. Why would the moose attack for no reason? Was Brian provoking the moose without knowing it? How did Brian use his knowledge and intuition to keep the moose away? What would you have done if you were caught in a similar situation?
Essay Topic 3
Brian kept track of his "First Days" as a way of marking time in an unconventional way. Two different times, Brian celebrated his rebirth into a new person. Explain why it was important for Brian to realize that he was evolving and the purpose of keeping track of those days.
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)