|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Brian feel when the sparks failed to make a fire?
2. Where does the pilot sit in the plane?
3. What is the first plane Brian flies in?
4. Where was the airport located where Brian met the pilot?
5. Who was Brian riding bikes with at the mall?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Brian consider himself to be lucky?
2. Why does the plan to reach help through the radio fail?
3. What valuable piece of information does Brian remember about the bear?
4. Describe Brian's attitude when leaving for Canada.
5. Examine why landing on the ground might have been better.
6. What makes Brian hook the hatchet to his belt?
7. What is the purpose of building a shelter against the rock?
8. Explain why throwing the hatchet was foolish.
9. Discuss what might have happened if Brian was unable to remove the quills from his leg.
10. Why were Brian and the sparks alike?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On more than one occasion, Brian had encounters with the animals. Most notably the meeting with the wolf and the bear. Examine animal intelligence and how underestimating that intelligence might have been a fatal error for Brian. What might have happened if Brian had tried to dominate the animals rather than respect their space? How would you feel if confronted by a bear?
Essay Topic 2
Brian often referred to educational and nature TV shows. What benefit were those shows to Brian and how did he use the information provided on the TV?
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the story, Brian's relationship with his mother was strained. After Brian returned home, the relationship seemed to smooth out. What made Brian realize that his mother had to have her own life? At what point does Brian stop being so angry with his mother? Do you think Brian will ever accept his mother's boyfriend?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)