|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brian call the food he ate?
2. What is Brian's mother's secret?
3. What kind of car was Brian's mother sitting in at the mall?
4. Which of these things in relation to the lake were not mentioned by Brian?
5. What was Brian's first attempt to control the plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What benefits were created by having a fire?
2. Examine how Brian knows as much as he does about living in the woods.
3. How does Brian feel when he flies the plane for the first time?
4. What are Brian's feelings toward his mother at this time?
5. Describe Brian's attitude when leaving for Canada.
6. What valuable piece of information does Brian remember about the bear?
7. Why does the plan to reach help through the radio fail?
8. What are Brian's choices after the pilot dies?
9. Explain why Brian blames his mother for the current situation.
10. What is lost when Brian learns about the secret?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brian found a bush of "gut cherries" and devoured many of them. Since Brian knew nothing about gut cherries, was it a good idea to eat the berries? Examine what might have happened if the berries were highly poisonous. (Choke cherries, aka "gut cherries" are poisonous in large quantities, especially when they are overripe.)
Essay Topic 2
Brian kept track of his "First Days" as a way of marking time in an unconventional way. Two different times, Brian celebrated his rebirth into a new person. Explain why it was important for Brian to realize that he was evolving and the purpose of keeping track of those days.
Essay Topic 3
What inherent skills and personality traits did Brian possess that especially helped him in his situation? Examine the ways he was able to push past his coping skills to rise to the occasion during his ordeal.
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)