|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Brian think he couldn't land in the water?
2. Brian plans to protect himself from the animals by doing what?
3. What animal did Brian think he saw in the pond?
4. What concerned Brian about drinking from the lake?
5. What does Brian intend to tell his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What benefits were created by having a fire?
2. Explain how Brian takes stock of his options.
3. Explain why it is important for Brian to learn to cooperate with nature.
4. Discuss what might have happened if Brian was unable to remove the quills from his leg.
5. Examine why Brian does not tell Terry about his mother?
6. Why were Brian and the sparks alike?
7. Examine how Brian knows as much as he does about living in the woods.
8. What are Brian's choices after the pilot dies?
9. Name at least two things for which Brian should be grateful.
10. Explain why Brian chooses the water as the place to land the plane.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brian kept track of his "First Days" as a way of marking time in an unconventional way. Two different times, Brian celebrated his rebirth into a new person. Explain why it was important for Brian to realize that he was evolving and the purpose of keeping track of those days.
Essay Topic 2
On more than one occasion, Brian had encounters with the animals. Most notably the meeting with the wolf and the bear. Examine animal intelligence and how underestimating that intelligence might have been a fatal error for Brian. What might have happened if Brian had tried to dominate the animals rather than respect their space? How would you feel if confronted by a bear?
Essay Topic 3
One of the first items Brian focused on in the survival pack was the emergency transmitter yet he put it aside without much examination. Why did Brian dismiss the transmitter without thoroughly testing it? How might the water have affected this life saving item? How is it possible that the pilot heard the transmitter but Brian could not?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)