|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these things was not a problem for Brian?
2. For what type of food does Brian search?
3. What item did Brian not have on his person after the crash?
4. How did Brian get out of the plane?
5. What shape was the lake Brian spotted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the plan to reach help through the radio fail?
2. What are Brian's feelings toward his mother at this time?
3. Explain why it is important for Brian to learn to cooperate with nature.
4. Name at least two things for which Brian should be grateful.
5. How does Brian know what is happening to the pilot?
6. How did the pilot's death affect Brian's location?
7. Discuss why Brian is upset by his reflection.
8. Examine why Brian does not tell Terry about his mother?
9. Explain why Brian chooses the water as the place to land the plane.
10. What is the purpose of building a shelter against the rock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brian tried the best he could to fly or land the plan even though he was terrified. Do you think that Brian was in shock or overcame the fear to take control? Discuss how Brian might have felt and what could be done about it.
Essay Topic 2
Brian often referred to educational and nature TV shows. What benefit were those shows to Brian and how did he use the information provided on the TV?
Essay Topic 3
When Brian's mother gave him the hatchet, he did not really want to take it. Throughout the story, the hatchet became increasingly important. When did Brian first realize that the hatchet may save him? What does the hatchet symbolize? Will having the hatchet change Brian's outlook on his own capabilities? Explain.
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)