|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Brian's father work?
2. What did Brian not grab onto as he tried to get free of the wreckage?
3. How often did Brian try to reach someone by radio?
4. How long was Brian supposed to stay with his father?
5. What happens to the pilot during Brian's first flight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the health risks Brian faces in the first couple of days after the crash?
2. Why was Brian so afraid of an animal outside the shelter?
3. What makes Brian hook the hatchet to his belt?
4. Why does Brian get sick from the gut cherries?
5. Name the three things Brian needs most to survive in the woods.
6. Describe Brian's attitude when leaving for Canada.
7. Examine how Brian knows as much as he does about living in the woods.
8. Examine why landing on the ground might have been better.
9. Explain why throwing the hatchet was foolish.
10. In what way does Brian consider himself to be lucky?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the first items Brian focused on in the survival pack was the emergency transmitter yet he put it aside without much examination. Why did Brian dismiss the transmitter without thoroughly testing it? How might the water have affected this life saving item? How is it possible that the pilot heard the transmitter but Brian could not?
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the story, Brian is upset with his mother over "The Secret." Do you think it was helpful or harmful for Brian to stay quiet about it? How might the story have changed if Brian had discussed the situation and the divorce with his mother?
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the story, Brian's relationship with his mother was strained. After Brian returned home, the relationship seemed to smooth out. What made Brian realize that his mother had to have her own life? At what point does Brian stop being so angry with his mother? Do you think Brian will ever accept his mother's boyfriend?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)