|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1, Dr. Chumley and Judge Gaffney visit whom upstairs in the Dowd mansion?
2. Who calls in to speak with Veta toward the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
3. In Act 2, Scene 1, Veta informs Dr. Chumley that she knows where Elwood is. Where is he?
4. What does Miss Kelly tell Dr. Sanderson in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. Toward the end of Act 2, Scene 1, where does Veta tell Elwood that Harvey is located?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Act 1, Scene 2, where Elwood is taken to the sanitarium by Veta, there is a lot of comic miscommunication occurring. All of the various characters have an incomplete understanding of the situation, which makes Veta's situation at once comical and tragic. Please find three examples from this scene about how poor communications can create very different results from what was originally intended or expected.
Essay Topic 2
By the end of Act 2, more people are beginning to believe in Harvey or at least admit there is something to Elwood's imaginings. Which characters hold some level of belief in Harvey by the end of Act 2, Scene 2? How is the audience brought into this circle of believers? Support your answers from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Why is the potential relationship between Myrtle Mae and Wilson so ironic? Why does Veta react in the way that she does to the thought of her daughter dating Wilson? Please provide examples from the text where appropriate.
This section contains 1,366 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)