|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Veta believe is protecting her brother?
2. How does Judge Gaffney feel about Elwood being locked up in the sanitarium?
3. Where does Dr. Chumley go to hide?
4. According to Elwood, people around town tell him about their _______________ each night.
5. Who does Miss Kelly call to verify Elwood's story?
Essay Topic 1
Elwood's personality is a key component of this play, perhaps more so than any other event that happens. He remains constant, no matter what is going on around him. What is Elwood's personality like? Do you attribute his state of mind to being apathetic or ambivalent to the people in his life or his surroundings? Why or why not? Has he truly discovered something that the other characters don't know? If so, what is it? Please provide support from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What is it that finally makes Veta decide she is willing to accept Elwood just the way he is (Harvey and all)? Please explain your answers using the text where appropriate.
Essay Topic 3
Elwood's character is virtually unchanging throughout the play. What are the key elements of his personality that come out in each scene he's in? How does his demeanor compare to those around him who are "sane"? Why do you think this particular contrast is brought out by the author? Please support your answers.
This section contains 1,333 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)