|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At one point in this scene, Veta Simmons asks Myrtle Mae Simmons to verify what?
2. Who is ultimately locked up in the sanitarium in this scene?
3. What does Veta Simmons tell Elwood Dowd to do?
4. Who does Dr. William Chumley call to verify the name of the patient to be admitted to the sanitarium?
5. How tall is Harvey, according to Elwood Dowd?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Veta Simmons trying to get accepted by the town's society folk?
2. Veta Simmons explains to Dr. Lyman Sanderson that Elwood Dowd has some quirks, including drinking. What does this imply about Elwood Dowd?
3. Why do you suppose Elwood Dowd insists on introducing Harvey to everyone?
4. Why do you think Elwood Dowd invites Mrs. Greenawalt, a telemarketer, to his sister's party?
5. Describe Elwood Dowd.
6. Why does Veta Simmons ask her daughter to be especially nice to Ethel Chauvenet?
7. Is the relationship between the nurse and Dr. Lyman Sanderson purely professional?
8. When Veta Simmons asks Elwood Dowd to wait for her in the parlor, what do you think she wants to talk to him about?
9. What does Elwood Dowd keep trying to do over and over again, only to be interrupted?
10. What do we learn about Elwood Dowd in this first scene of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a strong theme throughout this play that contrasts belief (i.e., holding to things that are difficult to prove scientifically) and our need as humans for empirical evidence (scientific proof of things that can be perceived with the five senses). Pick three situations from the play "Harvey" by Mary Chase and explain which characters tend toward belief and which are looking for evidence with regard to Harvey. Do some characters change positions? Why or why not? Do you think that the author supports belief or science more? Please support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Given the way in which the play ends and the final attitudes of the characters, do you believe that, within the context of the story, Harvey was a real entity? Why or why not? Does Harvey have to be real in order for the play to be effective? Why or why not? Please provide examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
In much of the play, Elwood Dowd carries around a raincoat and hat, even though he is wearing a raincoat and hat. What does this say about Elwood Dowd as a person? Why would he do such a thing? Please support your thesis from the text.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)