|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the main character's invisible friend?
2. With whom does Elwood Dowd discuss the details of the book he picked from the bookshelf?
3. According to Elwood Dowd, what exactly IS his invisible friend?
4. Who does Elwood Dowd say that Harvey would like?
5. What is Veta Simmons trying to do at the sanitarium?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Veta Simmons asks Elwood Dowd to wait for her in the parlor, what do you think she wants to talk to him about?
2. Is the relationship between the nurse and Dr. Lyman Sanderson purely professional?
3. Describe Elwood Dowd.
4. Describe the nurse, Ruth Kelly.
5. What does Elwood Dowd keep trying to do over and over again, only to be interrupted?
6. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson think is best for Veta Simmons?
7. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson believe is Veta Simmons' motivation for coming to the sanitarium and telling him about Elwood Dowd and Harvey?
8. Veta Simmons explains to Dr. Lyman Sanderson that Elwood Dowd has some quirks, including drinking. What does this imply about Elwood Dowd?
9. Why does Ethel Chauvenet react the way she does when introduced to Harvey?
10. How does Elwood Dowd treat everyone on the sanitarium's staff?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is it that finally makes Veta Simmons decide she is willing to accept Elwood Dowd just the way he is (Harvey and all)? Please explain your answers using the text where appropriate.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the strong presence of alcohol in Elwood Dowd's life? How do you think this would affect other people's acceptance of Harvey, given that Elwood Dowd drinks a lot? Is it important that the first "outside" person that actually interacts with Harvey is William Chumley, who goes out drinking with Elwood Dowd? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In much of the play, Elwood Dowd carries around a raincoat and hat, even though he is wearing a raincoat and hat. What does this say about Elwood Dowd as a person? Why would he do such a thing? Please support your thesis from the text.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)