Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Dr. Chumley's wife?
2. How tall is Harvey, according to Elwood?
3. In whom does Miss Kelly seem to be romantically interested in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. How does Elwood speak to Mrs. Greenawalt?
5. What detail about Elwood does Veta originally reveal to Dr. Sanderson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tactic does Dr. Chumley use to get Elwood to return home again? Is it successful?
2. What does Miss Kelly fear about "accidentally" committing Elwood earlier that day instead of his "crazy" sister?
3. What becomes clear about Elwood in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. Do you think that Ethel Chauvenet could see Harvey, given that Harvey likes her very much?
5. When Veta asks Elwood to wait for her in the parlor in Act 1, Scene 1, what do you think she wants to talk to him about?
6. Why is Dr. Sanderson mortified when he first learns that Elwood has been admitted and sent upstairs at the sanitarium?
7. What does Veta tell Dr. Sanderson that makes him think she's the crazy one?
8. Why does Elwood enter the sanitarium with flowers for Miss Kelly in Act 2, Scene 2?
9. When Elwood mentions to Miss Kelly that he has things he needs to do, what is he referring to?
10. With whom does Elwood speak to on the phone in Act 2, Scene 1 when he arrives home and what does he talk about?
By Act 1, Scene 2, we have some indications that Harvey may not be a figment of Elwood's imagination. Select two other characters from the play who also have some level of interaction with Harvey (seeing, hearing, etc.) and explain why this is significant within the context of the play. How does each of these characters react to learning about Harvey? Do you think they accept their newly revealed knowledge or not?
What is the significance of the strong presence of alcohol in Elwood's life? How do you think this would affect other people's acceptance of Harvey, given that Elwood drinks a lot? Is it important that the first "outside" person that actually interacts with Harvey is William Chumley, who goes out drinking with Elwood? Why or why not?
Given the bits of dialogue and sporadic moments of belief from Veta, do you think she has ever really seen Harvey or not? Please support your thesis with reasons based on the text. If she had seen Harvey, why does she wish Elwood not to see the creature?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)