|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what room does Elwood Dowd wait when the ladies excuse themselves?
2. How does Elwood Dowd speak to Mrs. Greenawalt?
3. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson posit as the reason why Veta Simmons came to Chumley's Rest?
4. How does Elwood Dowd deal with his invisible friend?
5. What is Myrtle Mae Simmons' attitude toward Elwood Dowd?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Veta Simmons tell Dr. Lyman Sanderson that makes him think she's the crazy one?
2. Do you think that Ethel Chauvenet could see Harvey, given that he likes her very much?
3. Why is Veta Simmons trying to get accepted by the town's society folk?
4. Is the relationship between the nurse and Dr. Lyman Sanderson purely professional?
5. Why does Veta Simmons ask her daughter to be especially nice to Ethel Chauvenet?
6. How does Myrtle Mae Simmons feel about her uncle?
7. Why do you suppose Elwood Dowd insists on introducing Harvey to everyone?
8. Describe Elwood Dowd.
9. Why does Ethel Chauvenet react the way she does when introduced to Harvey?
10. How do Ruth Kelly and Dr. Lyman Sanderson interact throughout this scene? What does this reveal about their relationship.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Assuming that Harvey is real, as Elwood Dowd says he is, it creates an interesting theme in the play regarding how those with special knowledge (like Elwood Dowd) are treated by those without it (the rest of the characters). Looking at how the characters interact through this perspective, why do the other people in Elwood Dowd's life treat him the way they do? Are they feeling jealous, frightened, inadequate, or something else? Please support your positions from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Why is the potential relationship between Myrtle Mae Simmons and Wilson so ironic? Why does Veta Simmons react in the way that she does to the thought of her daughter dating Wilson? Please provide examples from the text where appropriate.
Essay Topic 3
Describe briefly whether or not you feel Veta Simmons and her daughter were only putting up with Elwood Dowd and his invisible friend because he had inherited everything from his and Veta Simmons' mother, including the mansion? Please provide 2-3 examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)