|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At one point in this scene, Veta Simmons asks Myrtle Mae Simmons to verify what?
2. What is the name of the main character's invisible friend?
3. When Veta Simmons hangs up the phone with Mrs. Greenawalt, what does she declare?
4. Myrtle Mae Simmons answers the phone as the first scene begins. Who is calling?
5. What does Veta Simmons confess to Dr. Lyman Sanderson about Harvey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson think is best for Veta Simmons?
2. Describe Elwood Dowd's feelings toward Ruth Kelly.
3. Veta Simmons explains to Dr. Lyman Sanderson that Elwood Dowd has some quirks, including drinking. What does this imply about Elwood Dowd?
4. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson believe is Veta Simmons' motivation for coming to the sanitarium and telling him about Elwood Dowd and Harvey?
5. When Veta Simmons asks Elwood Dowd to wait for her in the parlor, what do you think she wants to talk to him about?
6. What do we learn about Elwood Dowd in this first scene of the play?
7. What does Elwood Dowd keep trying to do over and over again, only to be interrupted?
8. Why do you think Elwood Dowd invites Mrs. Greenawalt, a telemarketer, to his sister's party?
9. Is the relationship between the nurse and Dr. Lyman Sanderson purely professional?
10. Why is Dr. Lyman Sanderson mortified when he learns that Elwood Dowd has been sent upstairs at the sanitarium?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In much of the play, Elwood Dowd carries around a raincoat and hat, even though he is wearing a raincoat and hat. What does this say about Elwood Dowd as a person? Why would he do such a thing? Please support your thesis from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Why is the potential relationship between Myrtle Mae Simmons and Wilson so ironic? Why does Veta Simmons react in the way that she does to the thought of her daughter dating Wilson? Please provide examples from the text where appropriate.
Essay Topic 3
By the end of Act 2, more people are beginning to believe in Harvey or at least admit there is something to Elwood Dowd's imaginings. Which characters hold some level of belief in Harvey by the end of Act 2, Scene 2? How is the audience brought into this circle of believers? Support your answers from the text.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)