|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Dr. Chumley's wife?
2. How tall is Harvey, according to Elwood?
3. In whom does Miss Kelly seem to be romantically interested in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. How does Elwood speak to Mrs. Greenawalt?
5. What detail about Elwood does Veta originally reveal to Dr. Sanderson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tactic does Dr. Chumley use to get Elwood to return home again? Is it successful?
2. What does Miss Kelly fear about "accidentally" committing Elwood earlier that day instead of his "crazy" sister?
3. What becomes clear about Elwood in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. Do you think that Ethel Chauvenet could see Harvey, given that Harvey likes her very much?
5. When Veta asks Elwood to wait for her in the parlor in Act 1, Scene 1, what do you think she wants to talk to him about?
6. Why is Dr. Sanderson mortified when he first learns that Elwood has been admitted and sent upstairs at the sanitarium?
7. What does Veta tell Dr. Sanderson that makes him think she's the crazy one?
8. Why does Elwood enter the sanitarium with flowers for Miss Kelly in Act 2, Scene 2?
9. When Elwood mentions to Miss Kelly that he has things he needs to do, what is he referring to?
10. With whom does Elwood speak to on the phone in Act 2, Scene 1 when he arrives home and what does he talk about?
Essay Topic 1
In much of the play, Elwood carries around a raincoat and hat, even though he is wearing a raincoat and hat. What does this say about Elwood as a person? Why would he do such a thing? Please support your thesis from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What is it that finally makes Veta decide she is willing to accept Elwood just the way he is (Harvey and all)? Please explain your answers using the text where appropriate.
Essay Topic 3
Given the bits of dialogue and sporadic moments of belief from Veta, do you think she has ever really seen Harvey or not? Please support your thesis with reasons based on the text. If she had seen Harvey, why does she wish Elwood not to see the creature?
This section contains 1,762 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)