|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Elwood Dowd put the contents he finds in Myrtle Mae Simmons' flat parcel?
(a) In the garbage.
(b) On the mantle, over the picture of his mother.
(c) In the hallway, near the hall tree.
(d) On the back of the front door to the mansion.
2. Who calls in to speak with Veta Simmons?
(a) Elwood Dowd.
(b) Dr. William Chumley.
(d) Ruth Kelly.
3. What kind of advice does Dr. Lyman Sanderson give Ruth Kelly?
(a) Dating advice.
(b) Travel tips.
(c) Packing advice.
(d) Cooking advice.
4. What is Veta Simmons' reaction when she sees the portrait of Elwood Dowd and Harvey on the mantle?
(a) She pretends she doesn't see it.
(b) She shrieks and runs out of the room.
(c) She nearly faints.
(d) She laughs uncontrollably.
5. Why did Elwood Dowd return to Chumley's Rest?
(a) To keep his appointment with Ruth Kelly and Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(b) To harass them about admitting Veta Simmons earlier.
(c) To see how everyone was getting along.
(d) To check himself in.
Short Answer Questions
1. After several drinks, with whom did Dr. William Chumley get into an argument over who should pay?
2. Where does this scene take place?
3. Myrtle Mae Simmons insists that the judge do what?
4. Where does this scene take place?
5. Who does Ruth Kelly call to verify Elwood Dowd's story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What becomes clear about Elwood Dowd in this scene?
2. How does Dr. William Chumley get escorted out of Charlie's Place, according to Elwood Dowd?
3. What does Ruth Kelly find out when she calls Charlie's Place to verify Elwood Dowd's story?
4. Who enters the sanitarium toward the end of this scene? What is this person's emotional state?
5. What are some of the reasons Veta Simmons is visibly shaken up and disheveled-looking when she first appears in this scene?
6. How does Dr. Lyman Sanderson try to psychoanalyze Elwood Dowd's relationship with Harvey?
7. According to Elwood Dowd, how did Harvey get his name?
8. When Elwood Dowd mentions to Ruth Kelly that he has things he needs to do, what is he referring to?
9. What do you think Elwood Dowd meant when he confesses "I wrestled with reality for forty years and I am happy to state that I finally won out over it"?
10. Why do you think Wilson is agitated when he finally locates Elwood Dowd back at Chumley's Rest?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)