|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does this scene take place?
(a) The Dowd library.
(b) A field near town.
(c) The police station.
(d) The sanitarium.
2. What does Veta Simmons believe is protecting her brother?
(a) A small revolver.
(b) An uncommon good luck streak.
(c) The Pooka.
(d) Sheer naivete.
3. What does Elwood Dowd want to know from Ruth Kelly and Dr. Lyman Sanderson?
(a) If they are ready to go out for drinks.
(b) Where Harvey's hat and coat are.
(c) If Wilson is as grumpy as he seems.
(d) Whether or not they are an item.
4. Veta Simmons informs Dr. William Chumley that she knows where Elwood Dowd is. Where is he?
(a) He's at the sanitarium.
(b) He's at Charlie's Place.
(c) He's in the mansion's basement.
(d) He's waiting at the bus stop.
5. What does Veta Simmons try to get Elwood Dowd to do?
(a) Come back to the mansion looking for Harvey.
(b) Turn himself in at the police station.
(c) Go ahead and commit her to the sanitarium.
(d) To run as far away as he can.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon learning where Elwood Dowd is, what does Dr. William Chumley do?
2. Throughout this scene, who remains adamant that Elwood Dowd be locked up in the sanitarium?
3. What does Dr. William Chumley assure Judge Gaffney of to hopefully avoid a lawsuit?
4. Who enters with a bouquet of flowers for Ruth Kelly?
5. What is Wilson's attitude toward Elwood Dowd's story regarding Dr. William Chumley?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Elwood Dowd's reaction to the parcel brought out by Myrtle Mae Simmons?
2. What becomes clear about Elwood Dowd in this scene?
3. What type of mechanism is relied on in this scene to generate its many comedic moments?
4. Why is Myrtle Mae Simmons surprised when Judge Gaffney arrives at the Dowd home?
5. Why do you think Wilson is agitated when he finally locates Elwood Dowd back at Chumley's Rest?
6. Why is Veta Simmons speech about the importance of art significant, if at all?
7. What do you think Elwood Dowd meant when he confesses "I wrestled with reality for forty years and I am happy to state that I finally won out over it"?
8. Why does Elwood Dowd enter the sanitarium with flowers for Ruth Kelly?
9. While Veta Simmons and Dr. William Chumley are arguing, what happens?
10. What does Ruth Kelly find out when she calls Charlie's Place to verify Elwood Dowd's story?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)