|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Veta Simmons, what keeps people going and separates them from "the beasts"?
(a) Desire for acceptance.
(b) Gasoline-powered cars.
(c) Our dreams.
2. Throughout this scene, who remains adamant that Elwood Dowd be locked up in the sanitarium?
(b) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(c) Veta Simmons.
(d) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
3. Where does Dr. Lyman Sanderson claim to have seen Ruth Kelly last Saturday?
(a) At a restaurant.
(b) At a dance.
(c) At the mall.
(d) At a cocktail party.
4. How many bars were searched looking for Elwood Dowd?
5. What kind of advice does Dr. Lyman Sanderson give Ruth Kelly?
(a) Travel tips.
(b) Packing advice.
(c) Cooking advice.
(d) Dating advice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. William Chumley believe?
2. Who enters the scene after Elwood Dowd, Dr. Lyman Sanderson, and the nurse exit?
3. According to Elwood Dowd, people around town tell him about their _______________ each night.
4. What is Dr. William Chumley's emotional state when he enters the sanitarium?
5. What does Dr. William Chumley assure Judge Gaffney of to hopefully avoid a lawsuit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think Elwood Dowd meant when he confesses "I wrestled with reality for forty years and I am happy to state that I finally won out over it"?
2. When Elwood Dowd mentions to Ruth Kelly that he has things he needs to do, what is he referring to?
3. Veta Simmons and Dr. William Chumley argue a great deal in this scene. What in general is the argument about?
4. Why is Myrtle Mae Simmons surprised when Judge Gaffney arrives at the Dowd home?
5. Who enters the sanitarium toward the end of this scene? What is this person's emotional state?
6. Why is Veta Simmons speech about the importance of art significant, if at all?
7. While Veta Simmons and Dr. William Chumley are arguing, what happens?
8. In one or two sentences, describe how the evening's events transpired, according to Elwood Dowd.
9. According to Elwood Dowd, how did Harvey get his name?
10. Why does Elwood Dowd enter the sanitarium with flowers for Ruth Kelly?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)