|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. William Chumley assure Judge Gaffney of to hopefully avoid a lawsuit?
(a) That everything was a total misunderstanding.
(b) That Wilson was really to blame for Veta Simmons' rough treatment.
(c) That he was planning on shutting down the sanitarium soon.
(d) That Dr. Lyman Sanderson has been fired.
2. What happens as Elwood Dowd talks to his sister on the phone?
(a) Elwood Dowd curses under his breath.
(b) Elwood Dowd hangs up in a panic.
(c) Harvey greets the people in the mansion.
(d) Harvey arrives where Elwood Dowd is.
3. Who is helping Dr. Lyman Sanderson pack his things?
(a) Dr. William Chumley.
(c) Elwood Dowd.
(d) Ruth Kelly.
4. Where does Elwood Dowd tell Betty Chumley about his location?
(a) That he was at home.
(b) That he was at Charlie's Place.
(c) That he was at Chumley's Rest.
(d) That he was where he was.
5. What does Dr. William Chumley believe?
(a) All responses are correct.
(b) He is being followed.
(c) He is able to see Harvey
(d) He is beginning to understand Elwood Dowd.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elwood Dowd do immediately upon arriving home?
2. What does Ruth Kelly ask Elwood Dowd when she first sees him in this scene?
3. Who comes to the house, asking about Veta Simmons?
4. What is Veta Simmons' reaction when she sees the portrait of Elwood Dowd and Harvey on the mantle?
5. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson ask Elwood Dowd to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who enters the sanitarium toward the end of this scene? What is this person's emotional state?
2. What do you think Elwood Dowd meant when he confesses "I wrestled with reality for forty years and I am happy to state that I finally won out over it"?
3. What is Elwood Dowd's reaction to the parcel brought out by Myrtle Mae Simmons?
4. Why is Veta Simmons speech about the importance of art significant, if at all?
5. In his phone conversation home in this scene, what does Elwood Dowd want to know?
6. According to Elwood Dowd, how did Harvey get his name?
7. What does Ruth Kelly find out when she calls Charlie's Place to verify Elwood Dowd's story?
8. When Elwood Dowd mentions to Ruth Kelly that he has things he needs to do, what is he referring to?
9. What does Myrtle Mae Simmons offer up as "proof" that Elwood Dowd is a horrible person to live with (at least according to her)?
10. What are some of the reasons Veta Simmons is visibly shaken up and disheveled-looking when she first appears in this scene?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)