|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Elwood Dowd's initial reaction upon seeing the parcel Myrtle Mae Simmons left?
(a) He is saddened.
(b) He is excited.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He is terrified.
2. What happens to the front door at the end of this scene?
(a) It disappears.
(c) It opens and closes by itself.
(d) It unlocks itself.
3. Where does Elwood Dowd put the contents he finds in Myrtle Mae Simmons' flat parcel?
(a) On the back of the front door to the mansion.
(b) On the mantle, over the picture of his mother.
(c) In the garbage.
(d) In the hallway, near the hall tree.
4. Where does Veta Simmons tell Elwood Dowd that Harvey is located?
(a) At the sanitarium.
(b) In the mansion's basement.
(c) In the mansion's bathtub.
(d) At the mailbox across the road.
5. Why did Elwood Dowd return to Chumley's Rest?
(a) To see how everyone was getting along.
(b) To harass them about admitting Veta Simmons earlier.
(c) To check himself in.
(d) To keep his appointment with Ruth Kelly and Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Elwood Dowd tell Betty Chumley about his location?
2. What is Wilson's attitude toward Elwood Dowd's story regarding Dr. William Chumley?
3. How does Judge Gaffney feel about Elwood Dowd being locked up in the sanitarium?
4. Who calls in to speak with Veta Simmons?
5. Upon learning where Elwood Dowd is, what does Dr. William Chumley do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tactic does Dr. William Chumley use to get Elwood Dowd to return home again? Is it successful?
2. What do you think Elwood Dowd meant when he confesses "I wrestled with reality for forty years and I am happy to state that I finally won out over it"?
3. What is Elwood Dowd's reaction to the parcel brought out by Myrtle Mae Simmons?
4. Which other characters do you think are starting to believe in Harvey by the end of this scene? Why do they do this?
5. Why is Veta Simmons speech about the importance of art significant, if at all?
6. How does Dr. Lyman Sanderson try to psychoanalyze Elwood Dowd's relationship with Harvey?
7. In one or two sentences, describe how the evening's events transpired, according to Elwood Dowd.
8. While Veta Simmons and Dr. William Chumley are arguing, what happens?
9. Why does Elwood Dowd enter the sanitarium with flowers for Ruth Kelly?
10. In his phone conversation home in this scene, what does Elwood Dowd want to know?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)