|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does this scene take place?
(a) A padded cell.
(b) The office in Chumley's Rest.
(c) The Dowd mansion.
(d) Charlie's Place.
2. In this scene, Dr. William Chumley and Judge Gaffney visit whom upstairs in the Dowd mansion?
(a) Veta Simmons.
(b) Elwood Dowd.
(c) Mrs. Greenawalt.
(d) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
3. What happens to the front door at the end of this scene?
(a) It disappears.
(c) It opens and closes by itself.
(d) It unlocks itself.
4. What is Dr. William Chumley's emotional state when he enters the sanitarium?
(a) He is punch drunk.
(b) He is crying.
(c) He is nervous.
(d) He is babbling incoherently.
5. What does Elwood Dowd tell Ruth Kelly about Dr. William Chumley's whereabouts?
(a) He is at Charlie's Place.
(b) He is at the Dowd mansion.
(c) He doesn't know where Dr. William Chumley is.
(d) He is on a train to Pittsburgh.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. William Chumley ask Wilson to do?
2. What does Veta Simmons believe is protecting her brother?
3. Upon learning where Elwood Dowd is, what does Dr. William Chumley do?
4. What does Dr. William Chumley assure Judge Gaffney of to hopefully avoid a lawsuit?
5. Where does Elwood Dowd say Dr. William Chumley found him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tactic does Dr. William Chumley use to get Elwood Dowd to return home again? Is it successful?
2. When Elwood Dowd mentions to Ruth Kelly that he has things he needs to do, what is he referring to?
3. With whom does Elwood Dowd speak to on the phone when he arrives home and what does he talk about?
4. How does Dr. Lyman Sanderson try to psychoanalyze Elwood Dowd's relationship with Harvey?
5. While Veta Simmons and Dr. William Chumley are arguing, what happens?
6. What does Myrtle Mae Simmons offer up as "proof" that Elwood Dowd is a horrible person to live with (at least according to her)?
7. Veta Simmons and Dr. William Chumley argue a great deal in this scene. What in general is the argument about?
8. Why does Elwood Dowd enter the sanitarium with flowers for Ruth Kelly?
9. According to Elwood Dowd, how did Harvey get his name?
10. Why do you think Wilson is agitated when he finally locates Elwood Dowd back at Chumley's Rest?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)