|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What words appear at the bottom of the page that Wilson is reading when the scene ends?
(a) "You're standing on my foot."
(b) "How are you, Mr. Wilson?"
(c) "You'll never find me."
(d) "Hey, put me down!"
2. How does Elwood Dowd describe Harvey to Dr. William Chumley's wife?
(a) He's a Pooka.
(b) He's very choosy about who he likes.
(c) He's very tall.
(d) All responses are correct.
3. What does Veta Simmons confess to Dr. Lyman Sanderson about Harvey?
(a) That even she has seen him occasionally.
(b) That Harvey has been killing sheep in the area.
(c) That Harvey keeps her awake sometimes by whistling.
(d) That Harvey is a rediculous fantasy of Elwood Dowd's.
4. How old is Elwood Dowd, approximately?
5. With whom does Elwood Dowd consult about a potential dinner with Ethel Chauvenet?
(a) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(b) Veta Simmons.
(c) Dr. William Chumley.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dr. Lyman Sanderson believe needs immediate treatment?
2. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson posit as the reason why Veta Simmons came to Chumley's Rest?
3. What is the name of Dr. William Chumley's wife?
4. While talking to Veta Simmons, what does Dr. Lyman Sanderson do?
5. Which of these characters is constantly being visited by a pooka?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think that Ethel Chauvenet could see Harvey, given that he likes her very much?
2. Why is Dr. Lyman Sanderson mortified when he learns that Elwood Dowd has been sent upstairs at the sanitarium?
3. What does Ruth Kelly fear about "accidentally" committing Elwood Dowd earlier that day instead of his "crazy" sister?
4. When Veta Simmons asks Elwood Dowd to wait for her in the parlor, what do you think she wants to talk to him about?
5. Veta Simmons explains to Dr. Lyman Sanderson that Elwood Dowd has some quirks, including drinking. What does this imply about Elwood Dowd?
6. What do we learn about Elwood Dowd in this first scene of the play?
7. Why do you suppose Elwood Dowd insists on introducing Harvey to everyone?
8. Is the relationship between the nurse and Dr. Lyman Sanderson purely professional?
9. Why do you think Elwood Dowd invites Mrs. Greenawalt, a telemarketer, to his sister's party?
10. How does Elwood Dowd treat everyone on the sanitarium's staff?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)