|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In whom is Ruth Kelly interested?
(a) Dr. Henry Jeckyll.
(b) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(c) Dr. Wilson.
(d) Dr. William Chumley.
2. Who does Dr. Lyman Sanderson believe needs immediate treatment?
(a) Ruth Kelly.
(b) Elwood Dowd.
(c) Veta Simmons.
(d) Ethel Chauvenet.
3. What does Dr. William Chumley do to Dr. Lyman Sanderson when he finds out they admitted the wrong patient?
(a) Dr. William Chumley cackles to himself and goes home, ignoring Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(b) Dr. William Chumley demands that Dr. Lyman Sanderson sort it out.
(c) Dr. William Chumley explains it was a simple mistake and that he'll look into it personally.
(d) Dr. William Chumley fires Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
4. What does Veta Simmons tell Elwood Dowd to do?
(a) Get out of her house.
(b) Quit playing games.
(c) Help in the kitchen.
(d) Wait in the parlor.
5. According to the sanitarium staff, who entered the sanitarium with Elwood Dowd?
(a) Veta Simmons only.
(b) Veta Simmons and Harvey.
(c) Veta Simmons and Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(d) Veta Simmons and Wilson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Wilson say he left Veta Simmons after he took her upstairs in the sanitarium?
2. How does Elwood Dowd deal with his invisible friend?
3. At one point in this scene, Veta Simmons asks Myrtle Mae Simmons to verify what?
4. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson ask about Veta Simmons?
5. Myrtle Mae Simmons answers the phone as the first scene begins. Who is calling?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the relationship between the nurse and Dr. Lyman Sanderson purely professional?
2. Veta Simmons explains to Dr. Lyman Sanderson that Elwood Dowd has some quirks, including drinking. What does this imply about Elwood Dowd?
3. When Veta Simmons asks Elwood Dowd to wait for her in the parlor, what do you think she wants to talk to him about?
4. Why does Veta Simmons ask her daughter to be especially nice to Ethel Chauvenet?
5. Why do you suppose Elwood Dowd insists on introducing Harvey to everyone?
6. Do you think that Ethel Chauvenet could see Harvey, given that he likes her very much?
7. Describe Elwood Dowd's feelings toward Ruth Kelly.
8. According to Veta Simmons, to whom did her mother leave everything, including the mansion?
9. Describe the nurse, Ruth Kelly.
10. What do we learn about Elwood Dowd in this first scene of the play?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)