|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While talking to Veta,what does Dr. Sanderson do?
(a) He stands up and runs out of the room to get Wilson.
(b) He starts laughing hysterically.
(c) He tells her to go home.
(d) He presses a buzzer on his desk and keeps the conversation moving.
2. What seems to be the main obstacle for Veta's full acceptance by the town's society folk?
(a) The criminal record of Myrtle Mae.
(b) Elwood and his invisible friend.
(c) The family's lack of money.
(d) The family's home is not up to par.
3. What is Ethel Chauvenet's reaction to Elwood's invisible friend?
(a) She calls the sanitarium immediately.
(b) She is horrified and wants to get away.
(c) She is oddly accepting of it.
(d) She introduces Elwood to her own invisible friend.
4. What reason does the nurse, Ruth Kelly, give to Dr. Sanderson for wanting the two of them to join Elwood for drinks later that night?
(a) Elwood is such a gentleman.
(b) Elwood could teach them how to drink flaming shots.
(c) Elwood was pitiful and sad and needed company.
(d) Elwood promised to pay.
5. Where does Wilson say he left Veta after he took her upstairs in the sanitarium?
(a) In the massage room.
(b) In the sauna.
(c) In the hydro tub.
(d) In solitary confinement.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Sanderson claim about Veta's mental condition?
2. What is the name of the main character's niece?
3. In what locale does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
4. According to Elwood in Act 1, Scene 2, Harvey would like which other character?
5. Which of these characters is constantly being visited by a Pooka?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Elwood mentions to Miss Kelly that he has things he needs to do, what is he referring to?
2. Given the type of person Elwood is and the actions he takes all throughout the play, do you think he is telling the truth about Harvey, hallucinating, or just pretending all along? Please provide support for your answers.
3. What does Veta tell Dr. Sanderson that makes him think she's the crazy one?
4. Why does Judge Gaffney believe that administering Formula 977 to Elwood is a good idea?
5. Why does Elwood agree to stay in the sanitarium in Act 3 instead of going out for drinks with everyone?
6. While Veta and Dr. Chumley are arguing in Act 2, Scene 1, what happens?
7. According to Veta, to whom did her mother leave everything, including the mansion?
8. Which other characters do you think are starting to believe in Harvey by the end of Act 2? Why do they do this?
9. Do you think that Ethel Chauvenet could see Harvey, given that Harvey likes her very much?
10. Why does Veta ask her daughter to be especially nice to Ethel Chauvenet?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)