|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What detail about Elwood Dowd does Veta Simmons originally reveal to Dr. Lyman Sanderson?
(a) Elwood Dowd is a drinker.
(b) Elwood Dowd is delirious.
(c) Elwood Dowd is too organized.
(d) Elwood Dowd is a widower.
2. What form does Harvey take?
(a) Giant guinea pig.
(b) Giant hamster.
(c) Giant rabbit.
(d) Giant cat.
3. Where does Wilson say he left Veta Simmons after he took her upstairs in the sanitarium?
(a) Solitary confinement.
(b) The massage room.
(c) The sauna.
(d) The hydro tub.
4. What does Wilson read at the end of this scene?
(a) A psychiatrics manual.
(b) A Bible.
(c) An encyclopedia.
(d) A sales pamphlet.
5. Who does Dr. Lyman Sanderson believe needs immediate treatment?
(a) Ruth Kelly.
(b) Elwood Dowd.
(c) Veta Simmons.
(d) Ethel Chauvenet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elwood Dowd get from behind a book on the bookcase?
2. How tall is Harvey, according to Elwood Dowd?
3. Which character was selected to be the associate doctor at the sanitarium?
4. According to Elwood Dowd, what exactly IS his invisible friend?
5. What is Veta Simmons' reaction to Elwood Dowd's "friend"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Veta Simmons ask her daughter to be especially nice to Ethel Chauvenet?
2. How does Myrtle Mae Simmons feel about her uncle?
3. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson believe is Veta Simmons' motivation for coming to the sanitarium and telling him about Elwood Dowd and Harvey?
4. When Veta Simmons asks Elwood Dowd to wait for her in the parlor, what do you think she wants to talk to him about?
5. Describe the nurse, Ruth Kelly.
6. Why do you think Elwood Dowd invites Mrs. Greenawalt, a telemarketer, to his sister's party?
7. Is the relationship between the nurse and Dr. Lyman Sanderson purely professional?
8. What does Veta Simmons tell Dr. Lyman Sanderson that makes him think she's the crazy one?
9. Describe Elwood Dowd's feelings toward Ruth Kelly.
10. Why does Ethel Chauvenet react the way she does when introduced to Harvey?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)