|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Throughout the dialogue between Myrtle Mae and her mother, what do we learn about their attitude towards Elwood?
(a) They believe he is eccentric and charming.
(b) They feel his invisible friend is real.
(c) They believe he is trying to get himself committed to a mental institution.
(d) They feel he is mentally unstable.
2. What is the name of the main character's niece?
(a) Veta Simmons.
(b) Miss Johnson.
(c) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(d) Ethel Chauvenet.
3. What is the name of Dr. Chumley's wife?
(a) Betty Chumley.
(b) Christine Chumley.
(c) Doreen Chumley.
(d) Barbara Chumley.
4. What is Veta's reaction whenever Elwood's invisible friend's name is mentioned?
(a) She becomes angry.
(b) She sighs and flops down in a chair.
(c) She refers to his invisible friend by name.
(d) She giggles and goes back to her business.
5. Who is speaking to Veta as the second scene of the play opens?
(a) Dr. William Chumley.
(b) Ruth Kelly, a nurse at the sanitarium.
(d) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Elwood dressed when we first see him?
2. Whom does Ethel Chauvenet invite to dinner "soon"?
3. What is Veta's reaction to Elwood's friend?
4. Myrtle Mae answers the phone as the first scene begins. Who is calling?
5. Which character was selected to be the associate doctor at the sanitarium?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Veta's rationale for having Elwood submit to the Formula 977 shot?
2. In the second scene of Act 2, what does Miss Kelly find out when she calls Charlie's Place to verify Elwood's story?
3. How does Dr. Chumley get escorted out of Charlie's Place, according to Elwood?
4. What does Myrtle Mae offer up as "proof" that Elwood is a horrible person to live with (at least according to her)?
5. Veta explains to Dr. Sanderson that Elwood has some quirks, including drinking. What does this imply about Elwood?
6. Why does Veta ask her daughter to be especially nice to Ethel Chauvenet?
7. While Veta and Dr. Chumley are arguing in Act 2, Scene 1, what happens?
8. When Veta asks Elwood to wait for her in the parlor in Act 1, Scene 1, what do you think she wants to talk to him about?
9. What is Veta's reasoning for why she was committed instead of Elwood?
10. Do you think that Ethel Chauvenet could see Harvey, given that Harvey likes her very much?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)