|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Elwood Dowd consult about a potential dinner with Ethel Chauvenet?
(a) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(b) Veta Simmons.
(c) Dr. William Chumley.
2. Myrtle Mae Simmons answers the phone as the first scene begins. Who is calling?
(a) The Reader's Digest clearinghouse.
(b) The Society Editor of the local paper.
(c) A long-lost friend.
(d) The IRS.
3. Who is speaking to Veta Simmons as the scene opens?
(a) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(b) Dr. William Chumley.
(c) Ruth Kelly, a nurse at the sanitarium.
4. What words appear at the bottom of the page that Wilson is reading when the scene ends?
(a) "Hey, put me down!"
(b) "You'll never find me."
(c) "You're standing on my foot."
(d) "How are you, Mr. Wilson?"
5. What are Veta Simmons and Ruth Kelly talking about?
(a) The latest hit song on the radio.
(b) The conditions at Chumley's Rest.
(c) Elwood Dowd.
(d) The weather.
Short Answer Questions
1. While talking to Veta Simmons, what does Dr. Lyman Sanderson do?
2. What does Mrs. Greenawalt try to sell Elwood Dowd over the phone?
3. How does Elwood Dowd describe Harvey to Dr. William Chumley's wife?
4. What is Elwood Dowd's outlook when Wilson brings him to Dr. Lyman Sanderson?
5. What reason does the nurse, Ruth Kelly, give to Dr. Lyman Sanderson for wanting the two of them to join Elwood Dowd for drinks later that night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do we learn about Elwood Dowd in this first scene of the play?
2. How does Myrtle Mae Simmons feel about her uncle?
3. Why do you think Elwood Dowd invites Mrs. Greenawalt, a telemarketer, to his sister's party?
4. When Veta Simmons asks Elwood Dowd to wait for her in the parlor, what do you think she wants to talk to him about?
5. Why does Veta Simmons ask her daughter to be especially nice to Ethel Chauvenet?
6. Why does Ethel Chauvenet react the way she does when introduced to Harvey?
7. What does Ruth Kelly fear about "accidentally" committing Elwood Dowd earlier that day instead of his "crazy" sister?
8. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson believe is Veta Simmons' motivation for coming to the sanitarium and telling him about Elwood Dowd and Harvey?
9. Describe Elwood Dowd.
10. Given Veta Simmons' reactions to Elwood Dowd and her daughter, do you think she truly disbelieves her brother regarding Harvey?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)