|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Elwood Dowd deal with his invisible friend?
(a) Graciously allows him to do all the talking.
(b) Continually whines about wanting more wishes.
(c) Acts very nervous and hopes he'll go away.
(d) Very politely, gesturing for him to enter the room first.
2. What is Veta Simmons trying to do at the sanitarium?
(a) Have Elwood Dowd commited for evaluation.
(b) Evaluate the facilities for future fund-raising events.
(c) Introduce Myrtle Mae Simmons to Wilson.
(d) Create a business partnership with Ruth Kelly.
3. What is the name of the main character's niece?
(a) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(b) Ethel Chauvenet.
(c) Miss Johnson.
(d) Veta Simmons.
4. What reason does the nurse, Ruth Kelly, give to Dr. Lyman Sanderson for wanting the two of them to join Elwood Dowd for drinks later that night?
(a) Elwood Dowd is such a gentleman.
(b) Elwood Dowd could teach them how to drink flaming shots.
(c) Elwood Dowd was pitiful and sad and needed company.
(d) Elwood Dowd promised to pay.
5. What is the name of Dr. William Chumley's wife?
(a) Doreen Chumley.
(b) Christine Chumley.
(c) Betty Chumley.
(d) Barbara Chumley.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the probable reason why Veta Simmons wants to get in with the town's society crowd?
2. Whom does Ethel Chauvenet invite to dinner "soon"?
3. Where does this scene take place?
4. With whom does Veta Simmons speak next on the telephone?
5. Who does Dr. Lyman Sanderson believe needs immediate treatment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Veta Simmons tell Dr. Lyman Sanderson that makes him think she's the crazy one?
2. What do we learn about Elwood Dowd in this first scene of the play?
3. How does Myrtle Mae Simmons feel about her uncle?
4. Why does Ethel Chauvenet react the way she does when introduced to Harvey?
5. Why do you suppose Elwood Dowd insists on introducing Harvey to everyone?
6. When Veta Simmons asks Elwood Dowd to wait for her in the parlor, what do you think she wants to talk to him about?
7. How does Elwood Dowd treat everyone on the sanitarium's staff?
8. Describe Elwood Dowd.
9. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson believe is Veta Simmons' motivation for coming to the sanitarium and telling him about Elwood Dowd and Harvey?
10. What does Ruth Kelly fear about "accidentally" committing Elwood Dowd earlier that day instead of his "crazy" sister?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)