|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Dr. Lyman Sanderson believe needs immediate treatment?
(a) Elwood Dowd.
(b) Ethel Chauvenet.
(c) Veta Simmons.
(d) Ruth Kelly.
2. Who does Dr. William Chumley call to verify the name of the patient to be admitted to the sanitarium?
(a) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(c) Judge Gaffney.
(d) Mrs. Greenawalt.
3. While talking to Veta Simmons, what does Dr. Lyman Sanderson do?
(a) He stands up and runs out of the room to get Wilson.
(b) He tells her to go home.
(c) He presses a buzzer on his desk and keeps the conversation moving.
(d) He starts laughing hysterically.
4. What does Elwood Dowd carry around with him?
(a) A Bible and a set of keys.
(b) An umbrella and a pocket knife.
(c) A snowglobe and a rabbit's foot.
(d) A hat and raincoat.
5. Whom does Ethel Chauvenet invite to dinner "soon"?
(a) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(b) Mrs. Greenawalt.
(c) Elwood Dowd.
(d) Dr. William Chumley.
Short Answer Questions
1. What detail about Elwood Dowd does Veta Simmons originally reveal to Dr. Lyman Sanderson?
2. How does Elwood Dowd describe Harvey to Dr. William Chumley's wife?
3. What does Elwood Dowd tell Ethel Chauvenet when she reacts to his casual conversation with his invisible friend?
4. Who does Elwood Dowd say that Harvey would like?
5. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson posit as the reason why Veta Simmons came to Chumley's Rest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the relationship between the nurse and Dr. Lyman Sanderson purely professional?
2. Why is Veta Simmons trying to get accepted by the town's society folk?
3. Why is Dr. Lyman Sanderson mortified when he learns that Elwood Dowd has been sent upstairs at the sanitarium?
4. Given Veta Simmons' reactions to Elwood Dowd and her daughter, do you think she truly disbelieves her brother regarding Harvey?
5. According to Veta Simmons, to whom did her mother leave everything, including the mansion?
6. Why does Veta Simmons ask her daughter to be especially nice to Ethel Chauvenet?
7. Veta Simmons explains to Dr. Lyman Sanderson that Elwood Dowd has some quirks, including drinking. What does this imply about Elwood Dowd?
8. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson think is best for Veta Simmons?
9. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson believe is Veta Simmons' motivation for coming to the sanitarium and telling him about Elwood Dowd and Harvey?
10. Why does Ethel Chauvenet react the way she does when introduced to Harvey?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)