|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At one point in this scene, Veta Simmons asks Myrtle Mae Simmons to verify what?
(a) Whether or not Ethel Chauvenet's grandson will be at the dinner.
(b) If Elwood Dowd had any prescription medications.
(c) Whether or not Harvey was with Elwood.
(d) Whether or not Mrs. Greenawalt has good taste in whiskey.
2. Who does Elwood Dowd say that Harvey would like?
(a) Betty Chumley.
(b) Ruth Kelly.
(d) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
3. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson posit as the reason why Veta Simmons came to Chumley's Rest?
(a) To discredit her brother, Elwood Dowd, before he could have her committed.
(b) To provide the staff of Chumley's Rest with some polite chat.
(c) To admit Elwood Dowd to the sanitarium.
(d) Because with Elwood Dowd committed, she would inherit the mansion.
4. Myrtle Mae Simmons answers the phone as the first scene begins. Who is calling?
(a) A long-lost friend.
(b) The Reader's Digest clearinghouse.
(c) The Society Editor of the local paper.
(d) The IRS.
5. What is the name of Dr. William Chumley's wife?
(a) Christine Chumley.
(b) Doreen Chumley.
(c) Barbara Chumley.
(d) Betty Chumley.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. William Chumley do to Dr. Lyman Sanderson when he finds out they admitted the wrong patient?
2. What is Elwood Dowd's outlook when Wilson brings him to Dr. Lyman Sanderson?
3. How old is Elwood Dowd, approximately?
4. With whom does Elwood Dowd discuss the details of the book he picked from the bookshelf?
5. How does Elwood Dowd speak to Mrs. Greenawalt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Elwood Dowd invites Mrs. Greenawalt, a telemarketer, to his sister's party?
2. How do Ruth Kelly and Dr. Lyman Sanderson interact throughout this scene? What does this reveal about their relationship.
3. What do we learn about Elwood Dowd in this first scene of the play?
4. Veta Simmons explains to Dr. Lyman Sanderson that Elwood Dowd has some quirks, including drinking. What does this imply about Elwood Dowd?
5. Why is Dr. Lyman Sanderson mortified when he learns that Elwood Dowd has been sent upstairs at the sanitarium?
6. Describe Elwood Dowd.
7. Why do you suppose Elwood Dowd insists on introducing Harvey to everyone?
8. Given Veta Simmons' reactions to Elwood Dowd and her daughter, do you think she truly disbelieves her brother regarding Harvey?
9. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson think is best for Veta Simmons?
10. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson believe is Veta Simmons' motivation for coming to the sanitarium and telling him about Elwood Dowd and Harvey?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)