|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. William Chumley suggest that Dr. Lyman Sanderson can use on Veta Simmons for her treatment?
(a) Formula 401.
(b) Formula 44.
(c) Grecian Formula.
(d) Formula 977.
2. What does Elwood Dowd carry around with him?
(a) A Bible and a set of keys.
(b) An umbrella and a pocket knife.
(c) A snowglobe and a rabbit's foot.
(d) A hat and raincoat.
3. According to the sanitarium staff, who entered the sanitarium with Elwood Dowd?
(a) Veta Simmons and Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(b) Veta Simmons and Wilson.
(c) Veta Simmons and Harvey.
(d) Veta Simmons only.
4. What is Elwood Dowd's outlook when Wilson brings him to Dr. Lyman Sanderson?
(a) Cheerful and polite.
(b) Outraged and angry.
(c) Wryly amused.
(d) Sad but compliant.
5. Which character was selected to be the associate doctor at the sanitarium?
(a) Dr. William B. Chumley.
(c) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(d) Miss Johnson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Betty Chumley and Wilson are left alone at the end of this scene. What do they talk about?
2. What is the name of Dr. William Chumley's wife?
3. What are Veta Simmons and Ruth Kelly talking about?
4. What is Veta Simmons' reaction whenever Elwood Dowd's invisible friend's name is mentioned?
5. What detail about Elwood Dowd does Veta Simmons originally reveal to Dr. Lyman Sanderson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ruth Kelly fear about "accidentally" committing Elwood Dowd earlier that day instead of his "crazy" sister?
2. How does Elwood Dowd treat everyone on the sanitarium's staff?
3. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson believe is Veta Simmons' motivation for coming to the sanitarium and telling him about Elwood Dowd and Harvey?
4. Why do you suppose Elwood Dowd insists on introducing Harvey to everyone?
5. When Veta Simmons asks Elwood Dowd to wait for her in the parlor, what do you think she wants to talk to him about?
6. Describe the nurse, Ruth Kelly.
7. Why is Veta Simmons trying to get accepted by the town's society folk?
8. What do we learn about Elwood Dowd in this first scene of the play?
9. Do you think that Ethel Chauvenet could see Harvey, given that he likes her very much?
10. What does Veta Simmons tell Dr. Lyman Sanderson that makes him think she's the crazy one?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)