|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character was selected to be the associate doctor at the sanitarium?
(a) Miss Johnson.
(c) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(d) Dr. William B. Chumley.
2. Who does Elwood Dowd tell Dr. William Chumley's wife that he's looking for?
(a) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(c) Mrs. Greenawalt.
3. What reason does the nurse, Ruth Kelly, give to Dr. Lyman Sanderson for wanting the two of them to join Elwood Dowd for drinks later that night?
(a) Elwood Dowd was pitiful and sad and needed company.
(b) Elwood Dowd is such a gentleman.
(c) Elwood Dowd promised to pay.
(d) Elwood Dowd could teach them how to drink flaming shots.
4. What does Betty Chumley tell the sanitarium staff about Harvey?
(a) His jacket and hat size.
(b) His name and preferences for making friends.
(c) His name, height, and favorite foods.
(d) His name and that he's a Pooka.
5. What is the name of the main character's invisible friend?
Short Answer Questions
1. What one word best sums up the type of humor in this scene?
2. What is Ethel Chauvenet's reaction to Elwood Dowd's imaginary friend?
3. Whom does Ethel Chauvenet invite to dinner "soon"?
4. What does Veta Simmons confess to Dr. Lyman Sanderson about Harvey?
5. What does Elwood Dowd get from behind a book on the bookcase?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elwood Dowd keep trying to do over and over again, only to be interrupted?
2. How does Myrtle Mae Simmons feel about her uncle?
3. Why do you think Elwood Dowd invites Mrs. Greenawalt, a telemarketer, to his sister's party?
4. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson believe is Veta Simmons' motivation for coming to the sanitarium and telling him about Elwood Dowd and Harvey?
5. Why is Veta Simmons trying to get accepted by the town's society folk?
6. Is the relationship between the nurse and Dr. Lyman Sanderson purely professional?
7. Why does Veta Simmons ask her daughter to be especially nice to Ethel Chauvenet?
8. Describe Elwood Dowd's feelings toward Ruth Kelly.
9. Describe Elwood Dowd.
10. Why do you suppose Elwood Dowd insists on introducing Harvey to everyone?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)