|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the dialogue in this scene between Veta SImmons and Ethel Chauvenet, do the two women see each other often?
(b) Yes, everyday.
(c) Yes, about twice a week.
(d) Yes, about once a month.
2. What is Elwood Dowd's outlook when Wilson brings him to Dr. Lyman Sanderson?
(a) Outraged and angry.
(b) Sad but compliant.
(c) Cheerful and polite.
(d) Wryly amused.
3. What is Veta Simmons' reaction whenever Elwood Dowd's invisible friend's name is mentioned?
(a) She sighs and flops down in a chair.
(b) She becomes angry.
(c) She refers to her invisible friend by name.
(d) She giggles and goes back to her business.
4. What is Myrtle Mae Simmons' attitude toward Elwood Dowd?
(a) She is fearful for his life.
(b) She loves him very deeply because he is eccentric.
(c) She finds him rude and obnoxious.
(d) She is embarrassed by him.
5. How do the employees of the sanitarium regard Dr. William Chumley?
(a) They think he's over the hill and needs to retire.
(b) They think he's going broke.
(c) They are very respectful of him.
(d) They think he only cares about money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What observation does Myrtle Mae Simmons make about her mother in relation to her uncle, Elwood Dowd?
2. What does Dr. William Chumley do to Dr. Lyman Sanderson when he finds out they admitted the wrong patient?
3. What detail about Elwood Dowd does Veta Simmons originally reveal to Dr. Lyman Sanderson?
4. How does Elwood Dowd describe Harvey to Dr. William Chumley's wife?
5. What does Elwood Dowd carry around with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Veta Simmons tell Dr. Lyman Sanderson that makes him think she's the crazy one?
2. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson believe is Veta Simmons' motivation for coming to the sanitarium and telling him about Elwood Dowd and Harvey?
3. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson think is best for Veta Simmons?
4. Given Veta Simmons' reactions to Elwood Dowd and her daughter, do you think she truly disbelieves her brother regarding Harvey?
5. Veta Simmons explains to Dr. Lyman Sanderson that Elwood Dowd has some quirks, including drinking. What does this imply about Elwood Dowd?
6. Why is Veta Simmons trying to get accepted by the town's society folk?
7. How does Myrtle Mae Simmons feel about her uncle?
8. Do you think that Ethel Chauvenet could see Harvey, given that he likes her very much?
9. How does Elwood Dowd treat everyone on the sanitarium's staff?
10. Why does Ethel Chauvenet react the way she does when introduced to Harvey?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)