|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson posit as the reason why Veta Simmons came to Chumley's Rest?
(a) To discredit her brother, Elwood Dowd, before he could have her committed.
(b) To admit Elwood Dowd to the sanitarium.
(c) Because with Elwood Dowd committed, she would inherit the mansion.
(d) To provide the staff of Chumley's Rest with some polite chat.
2. What does Dr. William Chumley do to Dr. Lyman Sanderson when he finds out they admitted the wrong patient?
(a) Dr. William Chumley demands that Dr. Lyman Sanderson sort it out.
(b) Dr. William Chumley cackles to himself and goes home, ignoring Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(c) Dr. William Chumley explains it was a simple mistake and that he'll look into it personally.
(d) Dr. William Chumley fires Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
3. What is Myrtle Mae Simmons' attitude toward Elwood Dowd?
(a) She loves him very deeply because he is eccentric.
(b) She is embarrassed by him.
(c) She finds him rude and obnoxious.
(d) She is fearful for his life.
4. What is the name of Dr. William Chumley's wife?
(a) Betty Chumley.
(b) Doreen Chumley.
(c) Christine Chumley.
(d) Barbara Chumley.
5. What seems to be the main obstacle for Veta Simmons' full acceptance by the town's society folk?
(a) The family's lack of money.
(b) Elwood Dowd and his imaginary friend.
(c) The criminal record of Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(d) The family's home is not up to par.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else besides Elwood Dowd can see his invisible friend?
2. Who does Dr. Lyman Sanderson believe needs immediate treatment?
3. How does Elwood Dowd deal with his invisible friend?
4. What form does Harvey take?
5. How tall is Harvey, according to Elwood Dowd?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ruth Kelly fear about "accidentally" committing Elwood Dowd earlier that day instead of his "crazy" sister?
2. Describe the nurse, Ruth Kelly.
3. Describe Elwood Dowd's feelings toward Ruth Kelly.
4. What does Veta Simmons tell Dr. Lyman Sanderson that makes him think she's the crazy one?
5. Why does Veta Simmons ask her daughter to be especially nice to Ethel Chauvenet?
6. Why do you suppose Elwood Dowd insists on introducing Harvey to everyone?
7. How do Ruth Kelly and Dr. Lyman Sanderson interact throughout this scene? What does this reveal about their relationship.
8. How does Elwood Dowd treat everyone on the sanitarium's staff?
9. Is the relationship between the nurse and Dr. Lyman Sanderson purely professional?
10. Why is Dr. Lyman Sanderson mortified when he learns that Elwood Dowd has been sent upstairs at the sanitarium?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)