|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethel Chauvenet is key in the first scene because ______________________.
(a) She has a cure-all for dementia.
(b) She can sing Italian arias by memory.
(c) She has a grandson about Myrtle Mae Simmons' age.
(d) She is a fashion consultant to the Simmons women.
2. Does Elwood Dowd order from Mrs. Greenawalt?
(a) Yes, three subscriptions.
(b) Yes, two subscriptions.
(d) Yes, one subscription.
3. What is Myrtle Mae Simmons' attitude toward Elwood Dowd?
(a) She is fearful for his life.
(b) She loves him very deeply because he is eccentric.
(c) She finds him rude and obnoxious.
(d) She is embarrassed by him.
4. What does Elwood Dowd carry around with him?
(a) A hat and raincoat.
(b) An umbrella and a pocket knife.
(c) A snowglobe and a rabbit's foot.
(d) A Bible and a set of keys.
5. With whom does Veta Simmons speak next on the telephone?
(a) Ethel Chauvenet.
(b) Dr. William Chumley.
(c) The plumber.
(d) Mrs. Greenawalt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What seems to be the main obstacle for Veta Simmons' full acceptance by the town's society folk?
2. What does Wilson read at the end of this scene?
3. What detail about Elwood Dowd does Veta Simmons originally reveal to Dr. Lyman Sanderson?
4. With whom does Elwood Dowd discuss the details of the book he picked from the bookshelf?
5. What happens whenever Elwood Dowd tries to introduce Harvey to the sanitarium staff?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you suppose Elwood Dowd insists on introducing Harvey to everyone?
2. What do we learn about Elwood Dowd in this first scene of the play?
3. When Veta Simmons asks Elwood Dowd to wait for her in the parlor, what do you think she wants to talk to him about?
4. How does Myrtle Mae Simmons feel about her uncle?
5. Describe Elwood Dowd.
6. Do you think that Ethel Chauvenet could see Harvey, given that he likes her very much?
7. Why is Dr. Lyman Sanderson mortified when he learns that Elwood Dowd has been sent upstairs at the sanitarium?
8. Veta Simmons explains to Dr. Lyman Sanderson that Elwood Dowd has some quirks, including drinking. What does this imply about Elwood Dowd?
9. How do Ruth Kelly and Dr. Lyman Sanderson interact throughout this scene? What does this reveal about their relationship.
10. Given Veta Simmons' reactions to Elwood Dowd and her daughter, do you think she truly disbelieves her brother regarding Harvey?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)