|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is ultimately locked up in the sanitarium in this scene?
(a) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(c) Veta Simmons.
(d) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
2. What is the probable reason why Veta Simmons wants to get in with the town's society crowd?
(a) To hold frequent book readings in her home.
(b) To improve her financial status.
(c) To find a good husband for her daughter, Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(d) To get better psychiatric care for Elwood Dowd.
3. What does Elwood Dowd carry around with him?
(a) An umbrella and a pocket knife.
(b) A hat and raincoat.
(c) A snowglobe and a rabbit's foot.
(d) A Bible and a set of keys.
4. According to the sanitarium staff, who entered the sanitarium with Elwood Dowd?
(a) Veta Simmons and Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(b) Veta Simmons only.
(c) Veta Simmons and Harvey.
(d) Veta Simmons and Wilson.
5. While talking to Veta Simmons, what does Dr. Lyman Sanderson do?
(a) He starts laughing hysterically.
(b) He presses a buzzer on his desk and keeps the conversation moving.
(c) He tells her to go home.
(d) He stands up and runs out of the room to get Wilson.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Elwood Dowd, what exactly IS his invisible friend?
2. Myrtle Mae Simmons answers the phone as the first scene begins. Who is calling?
3. What is the name of Dr. William Chumley's wife?
4. What seems to be the main obstacle for Veta Simmons' full acceptance by the town's society folk?
5. Ethel Chauvenet is key in the first scene because ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you suppose Elwood Dowd insists on introducing Harvey to everyone?
2. When Veta Simmons asks Elwood Dowd to wait for her in the parlor, what do you think she wants to talk to him about?
3. How does Elwood Dowd treat everyone on the sanitarium's staff?
4. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson believe is Veta Simmons' motivation for coming to the sanitarium and telling him about Elwood Dowd and Harvey?
5. Describe Elwood Dowd.
6. Why is Dr. Lyman Sanderson mortified when he learns that Elwood Dowd has been sent upstairs at the sanitarium?
7. According to Veta Simmons, to whom did her mother leave everything, including the mansion?
8. Describe Elwood Dowd's feelings toward Ruth Kelly.
9. Do you think that Ethel Chauvenet could see Harvey, given that he likes her very much?
10. What does Veta Simmons tell Dr. Lyman Sanderson that makes him think she's the crazy one?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)