|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How tall is Harvey, according to Elwood Dowd?
(a) Four feet tall.
(b) Ten feet tall.
(c) Eight feet tall.
(d) Six feet tall.
2. Betty Chumley and Wilson are left alone at the end of this scene. What do they talk about?
(a) When the office would be remodeled.
(b) What a Pooka is.
(c) How polite Elwood Dowd is.
(d) What a tremendous mistake it was to admit Veta Simmons.
3. With whom does Veta Simmons speak next on the telephone?
(a) Ethel Chauvenet.
(b) Mrs. Greenawalt.
(c) The plumber.
(d) Dr. William Chumley.
4. What is the name of the orderly in Chumley's rest?
(a) Dr. William Chumley.
(b) Dr. Saul Rubinek.
(c) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
5. Who does Elwood Dowd say that Harvey would like?
(a) Ruth Kelly.
(b) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(c) Betty Chumley.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Elwood Dowd deal with his invisible friend?
2. What does Wilson read at the end of this scene?
3. What does Betty Chumley tell the sanitarium staff about Harvey?
4. What observation does Myrtle Mae Simmons make about her mother in relation to her uncle, Elwood Dowd?
5. What are Myrtle Mae Simmons and her mother primarily trying to achieve?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Veta Simmons, to whom did her mother leave everything, including the mansion?
2. Why is Dr. Lyman Sanderson mortified when he learns that Elwood Dowd has been sent upstairs at the sanitarium?
3. What does Elwood Dowd keep trying to do over and over again, only to be interrupted?
4. How do Ruth Kelly and Dr. Lyman Sanderson interact throughout this scene? What does this reveal about their relationship.
5. Describe Elwood Dowd's feelings toward Ruth Kelly.
6. When Veta Simmons asks Elwood Dowd to wait for her in the parlor, what do you think she wants to talk to him about?
7. Why do you suppose Elwood Dowd insists on introducing Harvey to everyone?
8. What do we learn about Elwood Dowd in this first scene of the play?
9. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson think is best for Veta Simmons?
10. Do you think that Ethel Chauvenet could see Harvey, given that he likes her very much?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)