|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what room does Elwood Dowd wait when the ladies excuse themselves?
(a) The dining room.
(b) The parlor.
(c) The foyer.
(d) The living room.
2. What reason does the nurse, Ruth Kelly, give to Dr. Lyman Sanderson for wanting the two of them to join Elwood Dowd for drinks later that night?
(a) Elwood Dowd was pitiful and sad and needed company.
(b) Elwood Dowd is such a gentleman.
(c) Elwood Dowd promised to pay.
(d) Elwood Dowd could teach them how to drink flaming shots.
3. What does Myrtle Mae Simmons wonder aloud about her uncle, Eldwood Dowd?
(a) Why he isn't in show business.
(b) Why he carries around an extra hat and raincoat.
(c) Why he can't be normal like her mother.
(d) Why he can't just be run over by a truck.
4. What happens whenever Elwood Dowd tries to introduce Harvey to the sanitarium staff?
(a) He is laughed at.
(b) He is asked to leave.
(c) He is ignored.
(d) He is interrupted each time.
5. With whom does Elwood Dowd consult about a potential dinner with Ethel Chauvenet?
(a) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(c) Veta Simmons.
(d) Dr. William Chumley.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these characters is constantly being visited by a pooka?
2. Who does Elwood Dowd say that Harvey would like?
3. At one point in this scene, Veta Simmons asks Myrtle Mae Simmons to verify what?
4. Which character was selected to be the associate doctor at the sanitarium?
5. What is the name of Dr. William Chumley's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dr. Lyman Sanderson mortified when he learns that Elwood Dowd has been sent upstairs at the sanitarium?
2. Veta Simmons explains to Dr. Lyman Sanderson that Elwood Dowd has some quirks, including drinking. What does this imply about Elwood Dowd?
3. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson think is best for Veta Simmons?
4. What does Elwood Dowd keep trying to do over and over again, only to be interrupted?
5. Describe Elwood Dowd.
6. According to Veta Simmons, to whom did her mother leave everything, including the mansion?
7. What does Veta Simmons tell Dr. Lyman Sanderson that makes him think she's the crazy one?
8. Why do you think Elwood Dowd invites Mrs. Greenawalt, a telemarketer, to his sister's party?
9. Why is Veta Simmons trying to get accepted by the town's society folk?
10. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson believe is Veta Simmons' motivation for coming to the sanitarium and telling him about Elwood Dowd and Harvey?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)