|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Elwood Dowd consult about a potential dinner with Ethel Chauvenet?
(a) Dr. William Chumley.
(b) Veta Simmons.
(d) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
2. Who does Elwood Dowd say that Harvey would like?
(a) Ruth Kelly.
(b) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(c) Betty Chumley.
3. How does Elwood Dowd speak to Mrs. Greenawalt?
(a) Very abstractly.
(b) Very sadly.
(c) Very politely.
(d) Very rudely.
4. With whom does Veta Simmons speak next on the telephone?
(a) Mrs. Greenawalt.
(b) Dr. William Chumley.
(c) The plumber.
(d) Ethel Chauvenet.
5. What does Wilson read at the end of this scene?
(a) A Bible.
(b) An encyclopedia.
(c) A psychiatrics manual.
(d) A sales pamphlet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens whenever Elwood Dowd tries to introduce Harvey to the sanitarium staff?
2. Betty Chumley and Wilson are left alone at the end of this scene. What do they talk about?
3. Which of these characters is constantly being visited by a pooka?
4. What is Elwood Dowd's outlook when Wilson brings him to Dr. Lyman Sanderson?
5. What one word best sums up the type of humor in this scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Elwood Dowd.
2. Is the relationship between the nurse and Dr. Lyman Sanderson purely professional?
3. Why is Dr. Lyman Sanderson mortified when he learns that Elwood Dowd has been sent upstairs at the sanitarium?
4. Why do you think Elwood Dowd invites Mrs. Greenawalt, a telemarketer, to his sister's party?
5. Why is Veta Simmons trying to get accepted by the town's society folk?
6. What does Ruth Kelly fear about "accidentally" committing Elwood Dowd earlier that day instead of his "crazy" sister?
7. When Veta Simmons asks Elwood Dowd to wait for her in the parlor, what do you think she wants to talk to him about?
8. What does Veta Simmons tell Dr. Lyman Sanderson that makes him think she's the crazy one?
9. Do you think that Ethel Chauvenet could see Harvey, given that he likes her very much?
10. What does Elwood Dowd keep trying to do over and over again, only to be interrupted?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)