|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. William Chumley do to Dr. Lyman Sanderson when he finds out they admitted the wrong patient?
(a) Dr. William Chumley fires Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(b) Dr. William Chumley cackles to himself and goes home, ignoring Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(c) Dr. William Chumley explains it was a simple mistake and that he'll look into it personally.
(d) Dr. William Chumley demands that Dr. Lyman Sanderson sort it out.
2. What seems to be the main obstacle for Veta Simmons' full acceptance by the town's society folk?
(a) The family's lack of money.
(b) The family's home is not up to par.
(c) The criminal record of Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(d) Elwood Dowd and his imaginary friend.
3. Which of these characters is constantly being visited by a pooka?
(a) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(b) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(c) Elwood Dowd.
(d) Ethel Chauvenet.
4. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson claim about Veta Simmons' mental condition?
(a) He believes she cannot tell the truth.
(b) He believes she is too eager to leave the sanitarium.
(c) He believes that she has endured Elwood Dowd's insanity well.
(d) He thinks her condition is very serious.
5. How does Elwood Dowd speak to Mrs. Greenawalt?
(a) Very rudely.
(b) Very politely.
(c) Very sadly.
(d) Very abstractly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dr. William Chumley call to verify the name of the patient to be admitted to the sanitarium?
2. With whom does Veta Simmons speak next on the telephone?
3. According to the sanitarium staff, who entered the sanitarium with Elwood Dowd?
4. What observation does Myrtle Mae Simmons make about her mother in relation to her uncle, Elwood Dowd?
5. Throughout the dialogue between Myrtle Mae Simmons and her mother, what do we learn about their attitude towards Elwood Dowd?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the nurse, Ruth Kelly.
2. What does Ruth Kelly fear about "accidentally" committing Elwood Dowd earlier that day instead of his "crazy" sister?
3. How does Elwood Dowd treat everyone on the sanitarium's staff?
4. Is the relationship between the nurse and Dr. Lyman Sanderson purely professional?
5. Do you think that Ethel Chauvenet could see Harvey, given that he likes her very much?
6. Why does Veta Simmons ask her daughter to be especially nice to Ethel Chauvenet?
7. What does Elwood Dowd keep trying to do over and over again, only to be interrupted?
8. Describe Elwood Dowd's feelings toward Ruth Kelly.
9. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson believe is Veta Simmons' motivation for coming to the sanitarium and telling him about Elwood Dowd and Harvey?
10. Describe Elwood Dowd.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)