|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Betty Chumley and Wilson are left alone at the end of Act 1, Scene 2. What do they talk about?
(a) When the office would be remodeled.
(b) How polite Elwood is.
(c) What a Pooka is.
(d) What a tremendous mistake it was to admit Veta.
2. What does Mrs. Greenawalt try to sell Elwood over the phone?
(a) A set of custom knives.
(b) A vacuum.
(c) A vacation package.
(d) A subscription.
3. What form does Harvey take?
(a) Giant cat.
(b) Giant hamster.
(c) Giant guinea pig.
(d) Giant rabbit.
4. In what locale does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
(a) The Dowd mansion.
(b) A field just outside of town.
(c) The local supermarket.
(d) The sanitarium, Chumley's Rest.
5. How tall is Harvey, according to Elwood?
(a) Six feet tall.
(b) Eight feet tall.
(c) Ten feet tall.
(d) Four feet tall.
Short Answer Questions
1. Myrtle Mae answers the phone as the first scene begins. Who is calling?
2. What happens whenever Elwood tries to introduce Harvey to the sanitarium staff?
3. In whom does Miss Kelly seem to be romantically interested in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. When Veta hangs up the phone with Mrs. Greenawalt, what does she declare?
5. What words appear at the bottom of the page that Wilson is reading when Act 1, Scene 2 ends?
Short Essay Questions
1. Given the type of person Elwood is and the actions he takes all throughout the play, do you think he is telling the truth about Harvey, hallucinating, or just pretending all along? Please provide support for your answers.
2. What does Miss Kelly fear about "accidentally" committing Elwood earlier that day instead of his "crazy" sister?
3. Why do you think Veta objects to her daughter (potentially) dating Wilson?
4. What is Veta's reasoning for why she was committed instead of Elwood?
5. According to Elwood, how did Harvey get his name?
6. Why is the cab driver's role near the end of the play so significant?
7. Describe Elwood.
8. When Veta asks Elwood to wait for her in the parlor in Act 1, Scene 1, what do you think she wants to talk to him about?
9. What tactic does Dr. Chumley use to get Elwood to return home again? Is it successful?
10. How does Elwood treat everyone on the sanitarium staff?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)