|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the main character's invisible friend?
2. In whom is Ruth Kelly interested?
(a) Dr. Wilson.
(b) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(c) Dr. Henry Jeckyll.
(d) Dr. William Chumley.
3. Who is speaking to Veta Simmons as the scene opens?
(a) Ruth Kelly, a nurse at the sanitarium.
(c) Dr. William Chumley.
(d) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
4. What is the name of the main character's niece?
(a) Miss Johnson.
(b) Ethel Chauvenet.
(c) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(d) Veta Simmons.
5. Who are discussing the treatment to be given to Veta Simmons?
(a) Dr. William Chumley, Wilson, and Ruth Kelly.
(b) Dr. William Chumley, Dr. Lyman Sanderson, and Ruth Kelly.
(c) Dr. William Chumley, Myrtle Mae Simmons, and Ruth Kelly.
(d) Dr. Lyman Sanderson, Wilson, and Myrtle Mae Simmons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What detail about Elwood Dowd does Veta Simmons originally reveal to Dr. Lyman Sanderson?
2. With whom does Elwood Dowd discuss the details of the book he picked from the bookshelf?
3. What does Dr. William Chumley suggest that Dr. Lyman Sanderson can use on Veta Simmons for her treatment?
4. How does Elwood Dowd deal with his invisible friend?
5. What is Elwood Dowd's outlook when Wilson brings him to Dr. Lyman Sanderson?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Ruth Kelly and Dr. Lyman Sanderson interact throughout this scene? What does this reveal about their relationship.
2. How does Elwood Dowd treat everyone on the sanitarium's staff?
3. Veta Simmons explains to Dr. Lyman Sanderson that Elwood Dowd has some quirks, including drinking. What does this imply about Elwood Dowd?
4. Given Veta Simmons' reactions to Elwood Dowd and her daughter, do you think she truly disbelieves her brother regarding Harvey?
5. According to Veta Simmons, to whom did her mother leave everything, including the mansion?
6. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson believe is Veta Simmons' motivation for coming to the sanitarium and telling him about Elwood Dowd and Harvey?
7. What does Veta Simmons tell Dr. Lyman Sanderson that makes him think she's the crazy one?
8. Is the relationship between the nurse and Dr. Lyman Sanderson purely professional?
9. Why is Dr. Lyman Sanderson mortified when he learns that Elwood Dowd has been sent upstairs at the sanitarium?
10. Describe Elwood Dowd's feelings toward Ruth Kelly.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)