|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Harvey when Elwood Dowd first met him?
(a) Leaning against a white lamp post.
(b) In the Dowd mansion.
(c) At Chumley's Rest.
(d) By a river.
2. Myrtle Mae Simmons insists that the judge do what?
(a) Talk some sense to Dr. William Chumley.
(b) Call an area-wide search for Elwood Dowd.
(c) Set her up with Ethel Chauvenet's grandson.
(d) Find Elwood Dowd and lock him up.
3. Who says "A painting shows not only the reality but the dream behind it"?
(a) Elwood Dowd.
(b) Veta Simmons.
(d) Dr. William Chumley.
4. According to Veta Simmons, what keeps people going and separates them from "the beasts"?
(a) Our dreams.
(b) Desire for acceptance.
(c) Gasoline-powered cars.
5. Why did Elwood Dowd return to Chumley's Rest?
(a) To check himself in.
(b) To harass them about admitting Veta Simmons earlier.
(c) To see how everyone was getting along.
(d) To keep his appointment with Ruth Kelly and Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
6. What is Ruth Kelly's reaction to Elwood Dowd's story about Dr. William Chumley?
(a) She seems shocked.
(b) She is indifferent.
(c) She seems to believe him.
(d) She is amused.
7. What is Veta Simmons' reaction when she sees the portrait of Elwood Dowd and Harvey on the mantle?
(a) She nearly faints.
(b) She laughs uncontrollably.
(c) She pretends she doesn't see it.
(d) She shrieks and runs out of the room.
8. Where does Dr. William Chumley go to hide?
(a) A broom closet.
(b) The basement.
(c) His office.
(d) Upstairs at the sanitarium.
9. What is Wilson's attitude toward Elwood Dowd's story regarding Dr. William Chumley?
(a) He believes Elwood Dowd.
(b) He couldn't care less.
(c) He is extremely skeptical.
(d) He is amazed and speechless.
10. How does Elwood Dowd respond to Wilson's questions?
(a) Elwood Dowd does not respond.
(c) Politely and calmly.
(d) Very abruptly.
11. Who is helping Dr. Lyman Sanderson pack his things?
(a) Elwood Dowd.
(b) Dr. William Chumley.
(c) Ruth Kelly.
12. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson ask Elwood Dowd to do?
(a) Pay for the drinks and Charlie's.
(b) Recount the night's events.
(c) Quit talking about Harvey.
(d) Get ready to be admitted to the sanitarium.
13. Where does Dr. Lyman Sanderson claim to have seen Ruth Kelly last Saturday?
(a) At a restaurant.
(b) At the mall.
(c) At a cocktail party.
(d) At a dance.
14. What does Veta Simmons try to get Elwood Dowd to do?
(a) Come back to the mansion looking for Harvey.
(b) To run as far away as he can.
(c) Turn himself in at the police station.
(d) Go ahead and commit her to the sanitarium.
15. Where does Veta Simmons tell Elwood Dowd that Harvey is located?
(a) At the sanitarium.
(b) At the mailbox across the road.
(c) In the mansion's bathtub.
(d) In the mansion's basement.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Elwood Dowd's story, after Dr. William Chumley was through with his argument he ______________.
2. Upon learning where Elwood Dowd is, what does Dr. William Chumley do?
3. What does Elwood Dowd do immediately upon arriving home?
4. According to Judge Gaffney, what are some of Elwood Dowd's strong points?
5. How does Wilson react toward Elwood Dowd when he sees him?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)