|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elwood Dowd tell Ruth Kelly about Dr. William Chumley's whereabouts?
(a) He is at the Dowd mansion.
(b) He doesn't know where Dr. William Chumley is.
(c) He is on a train to Pittsburgh.
(d) He is at Charlie's Place.
2. Where does Veta Simmons tell Elwood Dowd that Harvey is located?
(a) At the mailbox across the road.
(b) In the mansion's bathtub.
(c) In the mansion's basement.
(d) At the sanitarium.
3. How did Harvey receive his name, according to Elwood Dowd?
(a) Harvey was given his name by a higher power.
(b) The name was drawn at random from a hat.
(c) Harvey told Elwood Dowd what his name was.
(d) Harvey let Elwood Dowd pick the name.
4. Veta Simmons was extremely upset by the doctors' questions at Chumley's Rest because they all related to _______________.
(a) Sexual urges.
(b) Potty training.
(c) Giant rabbits.
(d) Celtic mythology.
5. Myrtle Mae Simmons insists that the judge do what?
(a) Talk some sense to Dr. William Chumley.
(b) Call an area-wide search for Elwood Dowd.
(c) Find Elwood Dowd and lock him up.
(d) Set her up with Ethel Chauvenet's grandson.
6. According to Veta Simmons, what keeps people going and separates them from "the beasts"?
(b) Desire for acceptance.
(c) Gasoline-powered cars.
(d) Our dreams.
7. What is Elwood Dowd's initial reaction upon seeing the parcel Myrtle Mae Simmons left?
(a) He is terrified.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He is saddened.
(d) He is excited.
8. Who seems most concerned about the character that's gone missing at the outset of the scene?
(a) Veta Simmons.
(b) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(d) Ruth Kelly.
9. What is Dr. William Chumley's emotional state when he enters the sanitarium?
(a) He is babbling incoherently.
(b) He is nervous.
(c) He is crying.
(d) He is punch drunk.
10. Who enters the scene after Elwood Dowd, Dr. Lyman Sanderson, and the nurse exit?
(a) Dr. William Chumley.
(b) Judge Gaffney.
(d) Veta Simmons.
11. What is Veta Simmons' reaction when she sees the portrait of Elwood Dowd and Harvey on the mantle?
(a) She laughs uncontrollably.
(b) She pretends she doesn't see it.
(c) She shrieks and runs out of the room.
(d) She nearly faints.
12. How does Judge Gaffney feel about Elwood Dowd being locked up in the sanitarium?
(a) He is amused.
(b) He is relieved that Elwood Dowd is finally getting some help.
(c) He feels vindicated.
(d) He feels bad about it.
13. What does Elwood Dowd do immediately upon arriving home?
(a) He pours himself some liquor from the bottle hidden in the bookshelf.
(b) He sneaks down to the basement to be alone.
(c) He makes a phone call to Betty Chumley.
(d) He picks up Myrtle Mae Simmons' package and runs outside with it.
14. Where was Harvey when Elwood Dowd first met him?
(a) Leaning against a white lamp post.
(b) By a river.
(c) In the Dowd mansion.
(d) At Chumley's Rest.
15. What does Elwood Dowd find in Myrtle Mae Simmons' package?
(a) A family tree book.
(b) A wooden plaque engraved to Harvey.
(c) A small bundle of books about Pookas.
(d) A portrait of Elwood Dowd and Harvey.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many bars were searched looking for Elwood Dowd?
2. What does Ruth Kelly ask Elwood Dowd when she first sees him in this scene?
3. Where does Elwood Dowd say Dr. William Chumley found him?
4. Where does this scene take place?
5. Who enters, looking disheveled and shaken?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)