|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elwood Dowd tell Ruth Kelly about Dr. William Chumley's whereabouts?
(a) He is on a train to Pittsburgh.
(b) He is at the Dowd mansion.
(c) He doesn't know where Dr. William Chumley is.
(d) He is at Charlie's Place.
2. Throughout this scene, who remains adamant that Elwood Dowd be locked up in the sanitarium?
(a) Veta Simmons.
(b) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(d) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
3. Upon learning where Elwood Dowd is, what does Dr. William Chumley do?
(a) He invites Veta Simmons to help him get Elwood Dowd.
(b) He shrugs and gives up.
(c) He sends Wilson to fetch Elwood Dowd.
(d) He goes to get Elwood Dowd on his own.
4. Where does Elwood Dowd tell Betty Chumley about his location?
(a) That he was where he was.
(b) That he was at Chumley's Rest.
(c) That he was at home.
(d) That he was at Charlie's Place.
5. How does Elwood Dowd respond to Wilson's questions?
(a) Very abruptly.
(c) Politely and calmly.
(d) Elwood Dowd does not respond.
6. What does Veta Simmons ask the judge to do?
(a) Help her to her room.
(b) Execute a restraining order on Wilson.
(c) Take her out to dinner.
(d) Sue the sanitarium.
7. Why did Elwood Dowd return to Chumley's Rest?
(a) To see how everyone was getting along.
(b) To harass them about admitting Veta Simmons earlier.
(c) To check himself in.
(d) To keep his appointment with Ruth Kelly and Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
8. How does Wilson react toward Elwood Dowd when he sees him?
(a) He asks how Harvey is doing.
(b) He embraces Elwood Dowd warmly.
(c) He acts aloof and won't speak.
(d) He is very confrontational.
9. According to Elwood Dowd, people around town tell him about their _______________ each night.
(a) craft projects
(b) fears and anxieties
(d) hopes, dreams, and loves
10. What does Veta Simmons believe is protecting her brother?
(a) An uncommon good luck streak.
(b) Sheer naivete.
(c) The Pooka.
(d) A small revolver.
11. Where does Dr. William Chumley go to hide?
(a) A broom closet.
(b) The basement.
(c) His office.
(d) Upstairs at the sanitarium.
12. What does Elwood Dowd do immediately upon arriving home?
(a) He makes a phone call to Betty Chumley.
(b) He sneaks down to the basement to be alone.
(c) He pours himself some liquor from the bottle hidden in the bookshelf.
(d) He picks up Myrtle Mae Simmons' package and runs outside with it.
13. Who enters, looking disheveled and shaken?
(a) Veta Simmons.
(b) Elwood Dowd.
(c) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(d) Dr. William Chumley.
14. Veta Simmons informs Dr. William Chumley that she knows where Elwood Dowd is. Where is he?
(a) He's at the sanitarium.
(b) He's in the mansion's basement.
(c) He's waiting at the bus stop.
(d) He's at Charlie's Place.
15. What does Elwood Dowd want to know from Ruth Kelly and Dr. Lyman Sanderson?
(a) If Wilson is as grumpy as he seems.
(b) Whether or not they are an item.
(c) If they are ready to go out for drinks.
(d) Where Harvey's hat and coat are.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Elwood Dowd say Dr. William Chumley found him?
2. What is Elwood Dowd's initial reaction upon seeing the parcel Myrtle Mae Simmons left?
3. Where does Dr. Lyman Sanderson claim to have seen Ruth Kelly last Saturday?
4. How does Judge Gaffney feel about Elwood Dowd being locked up in the sanitarium?
5. Where does this scene take place?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)