|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Ruth Kelly call to verify Elwood Dowd's story?
(a) Charlie's Place.
(b) Veta Simmons.
(c) Ethel Chauvenet.
(d) Mrs. Greenawalt.
2. Who says "A painting shows not only the reality but the dream behind it"?
(a) Dr. William Chumley.
(c) Elwood Dowd.
(d) Veta Simmons.
3. How many bars were searched looking for Elwood Dowd?
4. Where was Harvey when Elwood Dowd first met him?
(a) Leaning against a white lamp post.
(b) By a river.
(c) At Chumley's Rest.
(d) In the Dowd mansion.
5. Where does Dr. William Chumley go to hide?
(a) Upstairs at the sanitarium.
(b) The basement.
(c) His office.
(d) A broom closet.
6. What is Ruth Kelly's reaction to Elwood Dowd's story about Dr. William Chumley?
(a) She seems shocked.
(b) She is amused.
(c) She seems to believe him.
(d) She is indifferent.
7. What does Veta Simmons ask the judge to do?
(a) Execute a restraining order on Wilson.
(b) Take her out to dinner.
(c) Help her to her room.
(d) Sue the sanitarium.
8. What does Elwood Dowd tell Betty Chumley on the phone?
(a) That he was in love with her.
(b) That he would like her to meet Harvey.
(c) That he was ready to turn himself in to the sanitarium.
(d) That he attended the cocktail party and didn't see her there.
9. What does Veta Simmons believe is protecting her brother?
(a) An uncommon good luck streak.
(b) The Pooka.
(c) Sheer naivete.
(d) A small revolver.
10. What does Veta Simmons try to get Elwood Dowd to do?
(a) Come back to the mansion looking for Harvey.
(b) Turn himself in at the police station.
(c) To run as far away as he can.
(d) Go ahead and commit her to the sanitarium.
11. In this scene, Dr. William Chumley and Judge Gaffney visit whom upstairs in the Dowd mansion?
(a) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(b) Veta Simmons.
(c) Mrs. Greenawalt.
(d) Elwood Dowd.
12. Where does this scene take place?
(a) The office in Chumley's Rest.
(b) Charlie's Place.
(c) A padded cell.
(d) The Dowd mansion.
13. Who enters, looking disheveled and shaken?
(a) Elwood Dowd.
(b) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(c) Veta Simmons.
(d) Dr. William Chumley.
14. Who comes to the house, asking about Veta Simmons?
(a) Mrs. Greenawalt.
(b) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(c) Judge Gaffney.
15. According to Elwood Dowd's story, after Dr. William Chumley was through with his argument he ______________.
(a) Played a game of darts.
(b) Went on drinking.
(c) Hit on a blond sitting nearby.
(d) Lost a lot of money on a pool hustle.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the scene opens, who is talking on the phone?
2. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson ask Elwood Dowd to do?
3. What is Wilson's attitude toward Elwood Dowd's story regarding Dr. William Chumley?
4. What does Ruth Kelly tell Dr. Lyman Sanderson?
5. Who holds back Wilson when he tries to physically assault Elwood Dowd?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)