|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elwood do before leaving the Dowd house again in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Tips his hat to the mantle.
(b) Grabs a handful of peanuts from a bowl.
(c) Tips his hat to the portrait.
(d) Makes another phone call.
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, Dr. Chumley and Judge Gaffney visit whom upstairs in the Dowd mansion?
(a) Mrs. Greenawalt.
(c) Myrtle Mae.
3. What does Veta try to get Elwood to do in Act 2, Scene 1, when she speaks with him?
(a) Come back to the mansion looking for Harvey.
(b) Turn himself in at the police station.
(c) Go ahead and commit her to the sanitarium.
(d) To run as far away as he can.
4. According to Judge Gaffney, what are some of Elwood's strong points?
(a) He is dashing, forceful, and brave.
(b) He is absent-minded, and helpful.
(c) His creativity, strength, and quick wit.
(d) His brains, personality, and friends.
5. According to Elwood's story, after Dr. Chumley was through with his argument he ______________.
(a) Went on drinking.
(b) Lost a lot of money on a pool hustle.
(c) Played a game of darts.
(d) Approached a beautiful blonde sitting nearby.
6. Where does Dr. Sanderson claim to have seen Miss Kelly last Saturday in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) At a cocktail party.
(b) At a restaurant.
(c) At a bar.
(d) At a dance.
7. Who holds back Wilson when he tries to assault Elwood?
(a) Miss Kelly.
(b) Dr. Sanderson.
(d) Dr. Chumley.
8. To whom is Myrtle Mae immediately attracted?
(a) Dr. Sanderson.
(c) Judge Gaffney.
(d) Dr. Chumley.
9. Who says, "A painting shows not only the reality but the dream behind it"?
(a) Dr. Chumley.
10. What is Miss Kelly's reaction to Elwood's story about Dr. Chumley?
(a) She seems to believe him.
(b) She seems shocked.
(c) She is indifferent.
(d) She is amused.
11. In Act 2, Scene 1, upon learning where Elwood is, what does Dr. Chumley do?
(a) He shrugs and gives up.
(b) He invites Veta to help him get Elwood.
(c) He goes to get Elwood on his own.
(d) He sends Wilson to fetch Elwood.
12. How does Judge Gaffney feel about Elwood being locked up in the sanitarium?
(a) He is relieved that Elwood is finally getting some help.
(b) He feels vindicated.
(c) He feels bad about it.
(d) He is amused.
13. What does Elwood tell Betty Chumley about his location in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) That he was at home.
(b) That he was at Charlie's Place.
(c) That he was where he was.
(d) That he was at Chumley's Rest.
14. What is Wilson's attitude toward Elwood's story regarding Dr. Chumley?
(a) He believes Elwood.
(b) He couldn't care less.
(c) He is amazed and speechless.
(d) He is extremely skeptical.
15. In Act 2, Scene 1, Veta informs Dr. Chumley that she knows where Elwood is. Where is he?
(a) He's at the sanitarium.
(b) He's at Charlie's Place.
(c) He's waiting at the bus stop.
(d) He's in the mansion's basement.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harvey look like, according to the portrait revealed in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. Why did Elwood return to Chumley's Rest?
3. Who enters with a bouquet of flowers for Miss Kelly in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. Where was Harvey when Elwood first met him?
5. How did Harvey receive his name, according to Elwood?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)