|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elwood do immediately upon arriving home for the first time in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) He picks up Myrtle Mae's package and runs outside with it.
(b) He sneaks down to the basement to be alone.
(c) He pours himself some liquor from the bottle hidden in the bookshelf.
(d) He makes a phone call to Betty Chumley.
2. What is Veta's reaction when she sees the portrait of Elwood and Harvey on the mantle?
(a) She shrieks and runs out of the room.
(b) She nearly faints.
(c) She pretends she doesn't see it.
(d) She laughs uncontrollably.
3. Why did Elwood return to Chumley's Rest?
(a) To see how everyone was getting along.
(b) To keep his appointment with Miss Kelly and Dr. Sanderson.
(c) To harass them about admitting Veta earlier.
(d) To check himself in.
4. What does Dr. Chumley assure Judge Gaffney of in the hopes of avoiding a lawsuit?
(a) That Wilson was really to blame for Veta's rough treatment.
(b) That Dr. Sanderson has been fired.
(c) That everything was a total misunderstanding.
(d) That he was planning on shutting down the sanitarium soon.
5. How does Elwood respond to Wilson's questions?
(b) Elwood does not respond.
(c) Very abruptly.
(d) Politely and calmly.
6. Who enters the Dowd home early in Act 2, Scene 1, looking disheveled and shaken?
(b) Dr. Chumley.
(c) Myrtle Mae.
7. Who does Miss Kelly call to verify Elwood's story?
(a) Mrs. Greenawalt.
(b) Charlie's Place.
(d) Ethel Chauvenet.
8. What does Elwood find in Myrtle Mae's package?
(a) A small bundle of books about Pookas.
(b) A portrait of Elwood and Harvey.
(c) A family tree book.
(d) A wooden plaque engraved to Harvey.
9. What is Wilson's attitude toward Elwood's story regarding Dr. Chumley?
(a) He is extremely skeptical.
(b) He couldn't care less.
(c) He is amazed and speechless.
(d) He believes Elwood.
10. Who comes to the Dowd house, asking about Veta at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Dr. Sanderson.
(b) Mrs. Greenawalt.
(d) Judge Gaffney.
11. Where does Act 2, Scene 2 take place?
(a) A padded cell.
(b) Charlie's Place.
(c) The office in Chumley's Rest.
(d) The Dowd mansion.
12. Who says, "A painting shows not only the reality but the dream behind it"?
(a) Dr. Chumley.
13. Who seems most concerned about the character that has gone missing at the outset of Act 2, Scene 2?
(c) Dr. Sanderson.
(d) Miss Kelly.
14. What does Dr. Chumley believe?
(a) He is being followed.
(b) He is beginning to understand Elwood.
(c) All responses are correct.
(d) He is able to see Harvey
15. Toward the end of Act 2, Scene 1, where does Veta tell Elwood that Harvey is located?
(a) At the sanitarium.
(b) In the mansion's bathtub.
(c) At the mailbox across the road.
(d) In the mansion's basement.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Elwood say he and Harvey have adventures every night?
2. According to Judge Gaffney, what are some of Elwood's strong points?
3. How does Wilson react toward Elwood when he sees him?
4. What does Elwood do before leaving the Dowd house again in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. How many bars were searched looking for Elwood in Act 2, Scene 1 ?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)