|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dr. William Chumley's emotional state when he enters the sanitarium?
(a) He is crying.
(b) He is punch drunk.
(c) He is nervous.
(d) He is babbling incoherently.
2. What does Dr. William Chumley assure Judge Gaffney of to hopefully avoid a lawsuit?
(a) That everything was a total misunderstanding.
(b) That he was planning on shutting down the sanitarium soon.
(c) That Dr. Lyman Sanderson has been fired.
(d) That Wilson was really to blame for Veta Simmons' rough treatment.
3. What happens as Elwood Dowd talks to his sister on the phone?
(a) Harvey greets the people in the mansion.
(b) Elwood Dowd curses under his breath.
(c) Harvey arrives where Elwood Dowd is.
(d) Elwood Dowd hangs up in a panic.
4. According to the phone conversation at the beginning of this scene, who has gone missing for four hours?
(a) Veta Simmons.
(b) Elwood Dowd.
(c) Dr. William Chumley.
(d) Mrs. Greenawalt.
5. What does Elwood Dowd want to know from Ruth Kelly and Dr. Lyman Sanderson?
(a) Where Harvey's hat and coat are.
(b) If they are ready to go out for drinks.
(c) Whether or not they are an item.
(d) If Wilson is as grumpy as he seems.
6. What does Elwood do before leaving the scene again?
(a) Tips his hat to the mantle.
(b) Grabs a handful of peanuts from a bowl.
(c) Makes another phone call.
(d) Tips his hat to the portrait.
7. Upon learning where Elwood Dowd is, what does Dr. William Chumley do?
(a) He sends Wilson to fetch Elwood Dowd.
(b) He shrugs and gives up.
(c) He goes to get Elwood Dowd on his own.
(d) He invites Veta Simmons to help him get Elwood Dowd.
8. How does Wilson react toward Elwood Dowd when he sees him?
(a) He acts aloof and won't speak.
(b) He is very confrontational.
(c) He embraces Elwood Dowd warmly.
(d) He asks how Harvey is doing.
9. What does Elwood Dowd do immediately upon arriving home?
(a) He picks up Myrtle Mae Simmons' package and runs outside with it.
(b) He sneaks down to the basement to be alone.
(c) He pours himself some liquor from the bottle hidden in the bookshelf.
(d) He makes a phone call to Betty Chumley.
10. Where does Elwood Dowd say he and Harvey have adventures every night?
(a) The Dowd mansion's basement.
(b) In bars.
(c) The city.
(d) In a mystical land.
11. Who comes to the house, asking about Veta Simmons?
(a) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(b) Mrs. Greenawalt.
(c) Judge Gaffney.
12. Where does Dr. William Chumley go to hide?
(a) The basement.
(b) His office.
(c) Upstairs at the sanitarium.
(d) A broom closet.
13. What does Veta Simmons try to get Elwood Dowd to do?
(a) Come back to the mansion looking for Harvey.
(b) Turn himself in at the police station.
(c) Go ahead and commit her to the sanitarium.
(d) To run as far away as he can.
14. Where does Elwood Dowd tell Betty Chumley about his location?
(a) That he was at Chumley's Rest.
(b) That he was at Charlie's Place.
(c) That he was where he was.
(d) That he was at home.
15. Who says "A painting shows not only the reality but the dream behind it"?
(b) Dr. William Chumley.
(c) Elwood Dowd.
(d) Veta Simmons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson tell Elwood Dowd?
2. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson ask Elwood Dowd to do?
3. Where does Veta Simmons tell Elwood Dowd that Harvey is located?
4. What is Wilson's attitude toward Elwood Dowd's story regarding Dr. William Chumley?
5. Who is helping Dr. Lyman Sanderson pack his things?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)