|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Elwood Dowd respond to Wilson's questions?
(a) Very abruptly.
(c) Elwood Dowd does not respond.
(d) Politely and calmly.
2. How did Harvey receive his name, according to Elwood Dowd?
(a) Harvey told Elwood Dowd what his name was.
(b) Harvey let Elwood Dowd pick the name.
(c) Harvey was given his name by a higher power.
(d) The name was drawn at random from a hat.
3. Where does Dr. William Chumley go to hide?
(a) The basement.
(b) His office.
(c) Upstairs at the sanitarium.
(d) A broom closet.
4. What is Ruth Kelly's reaction to Elwood Dowd's story about Dr. William Chumley?
(a) She seems shocked.
(b) She is amused.
(c) She seems to believe him.
(d) She is indifferent.
5. What does Elwood Dowd tell Dr. Lyman Sanderson about the name Harvey?
(a) It's easy to spell.
(b) He never met anyone named that before.
(c) His uncle was named Harvey.
(d) He likes it because its a gentle-sounding name.
6. Throughout this scene, who remains adamant that Elwood Dowd be locked up in the sanitarium?
(a) Veta Simmons.
(b) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(d) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
7. What kind of advice does Dr. Lyman Sanderson give Ruth Kelly?
(a) Packing advice.
(b) Travel tips.
(c) Dating advice.
(d) Cooking advice.
8. Where does this scene take place?
(a) The office in Chumley's Rest.
(b) The Dowd mansion.
(c) A padded cell.
(d) Charlie's Place.
9. Where does Elwood Dowd say Dr. William Chumley found him?
(a) Charlie's Place.
(b) The post office.
(c) The local library.
(d) The Dowd mansion.
10. According to Veta Simmons, what keeps people going and separates them from "the beasts"?
(a) Gasoline-powered cars.
(b) Our dreams.
(c) Desire for acceptance.
11. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson ask Elwood Dowd to do?
(a) Get ready to be admitted to the sanitarium.
(b) Quit talking about Harvey.
(c) Recount the night's events.
(d) Pay for the drinks and Charlie's.
12. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson tell Elwood Dowd?
(a) He believes he can see Harvey, too.
(b) He and Ruth Kelly are running off together.
(c) He's sorry they committed Veta Simmons.
(d) He has to face reality.
13. What does Dr. William Chumley believe?
(a) He is able to see Harvey
(b) He is beginning to understand Elwood Dowd.
(c) All responses are correct.
(d) He is being followed.
14. According to Elwood Dowd's story, after Dr. William Chumley was through with his argument he ______________.
(a) Hit on a blond sitting nearby.
(b) Went on drinking.
(c) Played a game of darts.
(d) Lost a lot of money on a pool hustle.
15. As the scene opens, who is talking on the phone?
(b) Ruth Kelly.
(c) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(d) Dr. William Chumley.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is helping Dr. Lyman Sanderson pack his things?
2. To whom is Myrtle Mae Simmons immediately attracted?
3. How many bars were searched looking for Elwood Dowd?
4. Where does Dr. Lyman Sanderson claim to have seen Ruth Kelly last Saturday?
5. Who does Ruth Kelly call to verify Elwood Dowd's story?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)