|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Judge Gaffney, what are some of Elwood Dowd's strong points?
(a) Creative, strong, and quick-witted.
(b) Absent-minded, helpful.
(c) Brains, personality and friends.
(d) Dashing, forceful, and brave.
2. What kind of advice does Dr. Lyman Sanderson give Ruth Kelly?
(a) Travel tips.
(b) Packing advice.
(c) Dating advice.
(d) Cooking advice.
3. What does Ruth Kelly ask Elwood Dowd when she first sees him in this scene?
(a) How Harvey is doing.
(b) Where the library is.
(c) How Veta Simmons is doing.
(d) Where Dr. William Chumley is.
4. What does Veta Simmons believe is protecting her brother?
(a) The Pooka.
(b) An uncommon good luck streak.
(c) A small revolver.
(d) Sheer naivete.
5. Why did Elwood Dowd return to Chumley's Rest?
(a) To keep his appointment with Ruth Kelly and Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(b) To harass them about admitting Veta Simmons earlier.
(c) To check himself in.
(d) To see how everyone was getting along.
6. Who does Ruth Kelly call to verify Elwood Dowd's story?
(a) Veta Simmons.
(b) Charlie's Place.
(c) Ethel Chauvenet.
(d) Mrs. Greenawalt.
7. What happens as Elwood Dowd talks to his sister on the phone?
(a) Harvey greets the people in the mansion.
(b) Elwood Dowd curses under his breath.
(c) Elwood Dowd hangs up in a panic.
(d) Harvey arrives where Elwood Dowd is.
8. What does Dr. William Chumley assure Judge Gaffney of to hopefully avoid a lawsuit?
(a) That Wilson was really to blame for Veta Simmons' rough treatment.
(b) That everything was a total misunderstanding.
(c) That he was planning on shutting down the sanitarium soon.
(d) That Dr. Lyman Sanderson has been fired.
9. Where does Veta Simmons tell Elwood Dowd that Harvey is located?
(a) In the mansion's bathtub.
(b) At the mailbox across the road.
(c) At the sanitarium.
(d) In the mansion's basement.
10. Where does Dr. Lyman Sanderson take Elwood Dowd?
(a) To Charlie's Place.
(b) Upstairs in the sanitarium.
(c) To a padded cell.
(d) To the Dowd mansion.
11. What does Myrtle Mae Simmons bring into the room as proof her uncle is not well?
(a) A sculpture of Plato.
(b) A collection of rabbit-themed dinner plates.
(c) A diary written by Elwood Dowd to Harvey.
(d) A large flat parcel.
12. How does Elwood Dowd respond to Wilson's questions?
(b) Elwood Dowd does not respond.
(c) Very abruptly.
(d) Politely and calmly.
13. Veta Simmons informs Dr. William Chumley that she knows where Elwood Dowd is. Where is he?
(a) He's in the mansion's basement.
(b) He's at the sanitarium.
(c) He's at Charlie's Place.
(d) He's waiting at the bus stop.
14. What does Myrtle Mae Simmons claim about living with her uncle?
(a) That it is horrendous.
(b) That he never takes a bath.
(c) That he's always spoiling her.
(d) That it's not so bad after a while.
15. Who holds back Wilson when he tries to physically assault Elwood Dowd?
(a) Ruth Kelly.
(b) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(c) Veta Simmons.
(d) Dr. William Chumley.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Elwood Dowd's initial reaction upon seeing the parcel Myrtle Mae Simmons left?
2. According to Elwood Dowd, people around town tell him about their _______________ each night.
3. How did Harvey receive his name, according to Elwood Dowd?
4. What does Veta Simmons ask the judge to do?
5. Who comes to the house, asking about Veta Simmons?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)