|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Veta Simmons try to get Elwood Dowd to do?
(a) Turn himself in at the police station.
(b) Go ahead and commit her to the sanitarium.
(c) Come back to the mansion looking for Harvey.
(d) To run as far away as he can.
2. Who says "A painting shows not only the reality but the dream behind it"?
(a) Veta Simmons.
(b) Elwood Dowd.
(d) Dr. William Chumley.
3. Where does Dr. William Chumley go to hide?
(a) The basement.
(b) His office.
(c) Upstairs at the sanitarium.
(d) A broom closet.
4. Throughout this scene, who remains adamant that Elwood Dowd be locked up in the sanitarium?
(a) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(c) Veta Simmons.
(d) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
5. As the scene opens, who is talking on the phone?
(b) Dr. William Chumley.
(c) Ruth Kelly.
(d) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
6. According to the phone conversation at the beginning of this scene, who has gone missing for four hours?
(a) Veta Simmons.
(b) Mrs. Greenawalt.
(c) Dr. William Chumley.
(d) Elwood Dowd.
7. What happens to the front door at the end of this scene?
(a) It disappears.
(b) It unlocks itself.
(c) It opens and closes by itself.
8. How does Elwood Dowd respond to Wilson's questions?
(a) Politely and calmly.
(b) Very abruptly.
(d) Elwood Dowd does not respond.
9. According to Judge Gaffney, what are some of Elwood Dowd's strong points?
(a) Creative, strong, and quick-witted.
(b) Dashing, forceful, and brave.
(c) Brains, personality and friends.
(d) Absent-minded, helpful.
10. According to Veta Simmons, what keeps people going and separates them from "the beasts"?
(a) Our dreams.
(b) Desire for acceptance.
(d) Gasoline-powered cars.
11. How many bars were searched looking for Elwood Dowd?
12. Where has Wilson been searching for Elwood Dowd?
(a) The corridors of Chumley's Rest.
(b) Area bars.
(c) Under the stairwell.
(d) Local sporting events.
13. How does Wilson react toward Elwood Dowd when he sees him?
(a) He asks how Harvey is doing.
(b) He embraces Elwood Dowd warmly.
(c) He acts aloof and won't speak.
(d) He is very confrontational.
14. What does Dr. William Chumley believe?
(a) He is being followed.
(b) He is beginning to understand Elwood Dowd.
(c) He is able to see Harvey
(d) All responses are correct.
15. What does Elwood Dowd tell Ruth Kelly about Dr. William Chumley's whereabouts?
(a) He is at the Dowd mansion.
(b) He is at Charlie's Place.
(c) He is on a train to Pittsburgh.
(d) He doesn't know where Dr. William Chumley is.
Short Answer Questions
1. Myrtle Mae Simmons insists that the judge do what?
2. How does Judge Gaffney feel about Elwood Dowd being locked up in the sanitarium?
3. Upon learning where Elwood Dowd is, what does Dr. William Chumley do?
4. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson ask Elwood Dowd to do?
5. What does Dr. William Chumley ask Wilson to do?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)