|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Dr. William Chumley's wife?
(a) Barbara Chumley.
(b) Doreen Chumley.
(c) Betty Chumley.
(d) Christine Chumley.
2. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson ask about Veta Simmons?
(a) Where she currently lives.
(b) When can she come in for therapy.
(c) What her habits are and if she's still grieving for her mother.
(d) Whether or not she would like a job at Chumley's rest.
3. Does Elwood Dowd order from Mrs. Greenawalt?
(a) Yes, two subscriptions.
(b) Yes, three subscriptions.
(d) Yes, one subscription.
4. What is the probable reason why Veta Simmons wants to get in with the town's society crowd?
(a) To hold frequent book readings in her home.
(b) To get better psychiatric care for Elwood Dowd.
(c) To find a good husband for her daughter, Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(d) To improve her financial status.
5. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson posit as the reason why Veta Simmons came to Chumley's Rest?
(a) To discredit her brother, Elwood Dowd, before he could have her committed.
(b) To admit Elwood Dowd to the sanitarium.
(c) To provide the staff of Chumley's Rest with some polite chat.
(d) Because with Elwood Dowd committed, she would inherit the mansion.
6. Which character was selected to be the associate doctor at the sanitarium?
(b) Dr. William B. Chumley.
(c) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(d) Miss Johnson.
7. What happens whenever Elwood Dowd tries to introduce Harvey to the sanitarium staff?
(a) He is interrupted each time.
(b) He is laughed at.
(c) He is asked to leave.
(d) He is ignored.
8. What observation does Myrtle Mae Simmons make about her mother in relation to her uncle, Elwood Dowd?
(a) That she is too nice to Elwood Dowd and should shun him.
(b) That Veta Simmons is no match for Elwood Dowd.
(c) That she is too sympathetic to Elwood Dowd's friend, Harvey.
(d) That she is a good cook and party hostess.
9. Whom does Ethel Chauvenet invite to dinner "soon"?
(a) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(b) Dr. William Chumley.
(c) Elwood Dowd.
(d) Mrs. Greenawalt.
10. Where does Wilson say he left Veta Simmons after he took her upstairs in the sanitarium?
(a) The hydro tub.
(b) The massage room.
(c) Solitary confinement.
(d) The sauna.
11. What does Myrtle Mae Simmons wonder aloud about her uncle, Eldwood Dowd?
(a) Why he can't be normal like her mother.
(b) Why he can't just be run over by a truck.
(c) Why he isn't in show business.
(d) Why he carries around an extra hat and raincoat.
12. What does Elwood Dowd get from behind a book on the bookcase?
(a) A bottle of arsenic.
(b) A pair of reading glasses.
(c) An atlas of Europe.
(d) A bottle of liquor.
13. Who does Elwood Dowd say that Harvey would like?
(a) Ruth Kelly.
(b) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(d) Betty Chumley.
14. What is Elwood Dowd's outlook when Wilson brings him to Dr. Lyman Sanderson?
(a) Wryly amused.
(b) Outraged and angry.
(c) Cheerful and polite.
(d) Sad but compliant.
15. What are Myrtle Mae Simmons and her mother primarily trying to achieve?
(a) They are trying to get help for Elwood Dowd.
(b) They are trying to harbor a fugitive from justice.
(c) They want to be accepted by the town's society.
(d) They are plotting to rob a bank.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethel Chauvenet is key in the first scene because ______________________.
2. What does Elwood Dowd carry around with him?
3. Who does Dr. William Chumley call to verify the name of the patient to be admitted to the sanitarium?
4. What reason does the nurse, Ruth Kelly, give to Dr. Lyman Sanderson for wanting the two of them to join Elwood Dowd for drinks later that night?
5. At one point in this scene, Veta Simmons asks Myrtle Mae Simmons to verify what?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)