|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does the nurse, Ruth Kelly, give to Dr. Lyman Sanderson for wanting the two of them to join Elwood Dowd for drinks later that night?
(a) Elwood Dowd promised to pay.
(b) Elwood Dowd is such a gentleman.
(c) Elwood Dowd was pitiful and sad and needed company.
(d) Elwood Dowd could teach them how to drink flaming shots.
2. Who does Elwood Dowd tell Dr. William Chumley's wife that he's looking for?
(a) Mrs. Greenawalt.
(b) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
3. What does Elwood Dowd get from behind a book on the bookcase?
(a) A bottle of liquor.
(b) An atlas of Europe.
(c) A pair of reading glasses.
(d) A bottle of arsenic.
4. Who does Elwood Dowd say that Harvey would like?
(a) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(b) Betty Chumley.
(c) Ruth Kelly.
5. Betty Chumley and Wilson are left alone at the end of this scene. What do they talk about?
(a) What a Pooka is.
(b) What a tremendous mistake it was to admit Veta Simmons.
(c) How polite Elwood Dowd is.
(d) When the office would be remodeled.
6. Whom does Ethel Chauvenet invite to dinner "soon"?
(a) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(b) Elwood Dowd.
(c) Dr. William Chumley.
(d) Mrs. Greenawalt.
7. What one word best sums up the type of humor in this scene?
(a) All responses are correct.
(c) Witty references to pop culture.
8. What is the name of the orderly in Chumley's rest?
(a) Dr. William Chumley.
(b) Dr. Saul Rubinek.
(d) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
9. Throughout the dialogue between Myrtle Mae Simmons and her mother, what do we learn about their attitude towards Elwood Dowd?
(a) They believe he is trying to get himself committed to a mental institution.
(b) They feel his invisible friend is real.
(c) They feel he is mentally unstable.
(d) They believe he is eccentric and charming.
10. What is Elwood Dowd's outlook when Wilson brings him to Dr. Lyman Sanderson?
(a) Cheerful and polite.
(b) Outraged and angry.
(c) Sad but compliant.
(d) Wryly amused.
11. What does Veta Simmons tell Elwood Dowd to do?
(a) Quit playing games.
(b) Wait in the parlor.
(c) Get out of her house.
(d) Help in the kitchen.
12. According to Elwood Dowd, what exactly IS his invisible friend?
(a) A wood spirit.
(b) A pixie.
(c) A great enigma.
(d) A Pooka.
13. What does Mrs. Greenawalt try to sell Elwood Dowd over the phone?
(a) A set of custom knives.
(b) A vacuum.
(c) A vacation package.
(d) A subscription.
14. What observation does Myrtle Mae Simmons make about her mother in relation to her uncle, Elwood Dowd?
(a) That she is a good cook and party hostess.
(b) That she is too nice to Elwood Dowd and should shun him.
(c) That Veta Simmons is no match for Elwood Dowd.
(d) That she is too sympathetic to Elwood Dowd's friend, Harvey.
15. How do the employees of the sanitarium regard Dr. William Chumley?
(a) They think he's going broke.
(b) They think he's over the hill and needs to retire.
(c) They are very respectful of him.
(d) They think he only cares about money.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Elwood Dowd describe Harvey to Dr. William Chumley's wife?
2. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson believe about Veta Simmons?
3. What words appear at the bottom of the page that Wilson is reading when the scene ends?
4. How old is Elwood Dowd, approximately?
5. According to the sanitarium staff, who entered the sanitarium with Elwood Dowd?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)