|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At one point in this scene, Veta Simmons asks Myrtle Mae Simmons to verify what?
(a) Whether or not Harvey was with Elwood.
(b) Whether or not Mrs. Greenawalt has good taste in whiskey.
(c) Whether or not Ethel Chauvenet's grandson will be at the dinner.
(d) If Elwood Dowd had any prescription medications.
2. What does Veta Simmons confess to Dr. Lyman Sanderson about Harvey?
(a) That Harvey has been killing sheep in the area.
(b) That even she has seen him occasionally.
(c) That Harvey is a rediculous fantasy of Elwood Dowd's.
(d) That Harvey keeps her awake sometimes by whistling.
3. How does Elwood Dowd deal with his invisible friend?
(a) Graciously allows him to do all the talking.
(b) Very politely, gesturing for him to enter the room first.
(c) Continually whines about wanting more wishes.
(d) Acts very nervous and hopes he'll go away.
4. Who is speaking to Veta Simmons as the scene opens?
(a) Ruth Kelly, a nurse at the sanitarium.
(b) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(d) Dr. William Chumley.
5. Whom does Ethel Chauvenet invite to dinner "soon"?
(a) Elwood Dowd.
(b) Mrs. Greenawalt.
(c) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(d) Dr. William Chumley.
6. What is Veta Simmons' reaction whenever Elwood Dowd's invisible friend's name is mentioned?
(a) She becomes angry.
(b) She giggles and goes back to her business.
(c) She sighs and flops down in a chair.
(d) She refers to her invisible friend by name.
7. What does Dr. William Chumley suggest that Dr. Lyman Sanderson can use on Veta Simmons for her treatment?
(a) Formula 44.
(b) Formula 401.
(c) Grecian Formula.
(d) Formula 977.
8. Which character was selected to be the associate doctor at the sanitarium?
(a) Dr. William B. Chumley.
(c) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(d) Miss Johnson.
9. What does Elwood Dowd get from behind a book on the bookcase?
(a) A bottle of liquor.
(b) An atlas of Europe.
(c) A bottle of arsenic.
(d) A pair of reading glasses.
10. What is the probable reason why Veta Simmons wants to get in with the town's society crowd?
(a) To hold frequent book readings in her home.
(b) To get better psychiatric care for Elwood Dowd.
(c) To find a good husband for her daughter, Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(d) To improve her financial status.
11. What does Elwood Dowd carry around with him?
(a) An umbrella and a pocket knife.
(b) A snowglobe and a rabbit's foot.
(c) A hat and raincoat.
(d) A Bible and a set of keys.
12. What are Myrtle Mae Simmons and her mother primarily trying to achieve?
(a) They want to be accepted by the town's society.
(b) They are plotting to rob a bank.
(c) They are trying to get help for Elwood Dowd.
(d) They are trying to harbor a fugitive from justice.
13. Who does Elwood Dowd say that Harvey would like?
(a) Betty Chumley.
(c) Ruth Kelly.
(d) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
14. While talking to Veta Simmons, what does Dr. Lyman Sanderson do?
(a) He tells her to go home.
(b) He starts laughing hysterically.
(c) He stands up and runs out of the room to get Wilson.
(d) He presses a buzzer on his desk and keeps the conversation moving.
15. How do the employees of the sanitarium regard Dr. William Chumley?
(a) They think he only cares about money.
(b) They think he's going broke.
(c) They think he's over the hill and needs to retire.
(d) They are very respectful of him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Betty Chumley tell the sanitarium staff about Harvey?
2. What does Veta Simmons tell Elwood Dowd to do?
3. Who else besides Elwood Dowd can see his invisible friend?
4. Who does Dr. Lyman Sanderson believe needs immediate treatment?
5. What is the name of the main character's niece?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)