|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Elwood Dowd's outlook when Wilson brings him to Dr. Lyman Sanderson?
(a) Outraged and angry.
(b) Cheerful and polite.
(c) Wryly amused.
(d) Sad but compliant.
2. What does Elwood Dowd tell Ethel Chauvenet when she reacts to his casual conversation with his invisible friend?
(a) That Harvey favors her and will bless her home.
(b) She better be good or Harvey will get her.
(c) That all their lives are in danger if Harvey is not appeased.
(d) Not to be alarmed.
3. Where does Wilson say he left Veta Simmons after he took her upstairs in the sanitarium?
(a) The sauna.
(b) Solitary confinement.
(c) The massage room.
(d) The hydro tub.
4. Where does this scene take place?
(a) A field just outside of town.
(b) The local supermarket.
(c) The Dowd mansion.
(d) The sanitarium, Chumley's Rest.
5. What does Elwood Dowd carry around with him?
(a) A snowglobe and a rabbit's foot.
(b) A Bible and a set of keys.
(c) An umbrella and a pocket knife.
(d) A hat and raincoat.
6. What one word best sums up the type of humor in this scene?
(a) All responses are correct.
(b) Witty references to pop culture.
7. Who does Elwood Dowd say that Harvey would like?
(a) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(b) Betty Chumley.
(c) Ruth Kelly.
8. What does Dr. William Chumley do to Dr. Lyman Sanderson when he finds out they admitted the wrong patient?
(a) Dr. William Chumley cackles to himself and goes home, ignoring Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(b) Dr. William Chumley fires Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(c) Dr. William Chumley explains it was a simple mistake and that he'll look into it personally.
(d) Dr. William Chumley demands that Dr. Lyman Sanderson sort it out.
9. What is Ethel Chauvenet's reaction to Elwood Dowd's imaginary friend?
(a) She is oddly accepting of it.
(b) She is horrified and wants to get away.
(c) She calls the sanitarium immediately.
(d) She introduces Elwood Dowd to her own imaginary friend.
10. What are Myrtle Mae Simmons and her mother primarily trying to achieve?
(a) They are trying to get help for Elwood Dowd.
(b) They want to be accepted by the town's society.
(c) They are plotting to rob a bank.
(d) They are trying to harbor a fugitive from justice.
11. Whom does Ethel Chauvenet invite to dinner "soon"?
(a) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(b) Elwood Dowd.
(c) Dr. William Chumley.
(d) Mrs. Greenawalt.
12. What seems to be the main obstacle for Veta Simmons' full acceptance by the town's society folk?
(a) Elwood Dowd and his imaginary friend.
(b) The family's home is not up to par.
(c) The criminal record of Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(d) The family's lack of money.
13. What does Dr. William Chumley suggest that Dr. Lyman Sanderson can use on Veta Simmons for her treatment?
(a) Grecian Formula.
(b) Formula 977.
(c) Formula 401.
(d) Formula 44.
14. What does Veta Simmons confess to Dr. Lyman Sanderson about Harvey?
(a) That Harvey has been killing sheep in the area.
(b) That Harvey keeps her awake sometimes by whistling.
(c) That even she has seen him occasionally.
(d) That Harvey is a rediculous fantasy of Elwood Dowd's.
15. What reason does the nurse, Ruth Kelly, give to Dr. Lyman Sanderson for wanting the two of them to join Elwood Dowd for drinks later that night?
(a) Elwood Dowd was pitiful and sad and needed company.
(b) Elwood Dowd promised to pay.
(c) Elwood Dowd is such a gentleman.
(d) Elwood Dowd could teach them how to drink flaming shots.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Elwood Dowd describe Harvey to Dr. William Chumley's wife?
2. What observation does Myrtle Mae Simmons make about her mother in relation to her uncle, Elwood Dowd?
3. Who are discussing the treatment to be given to Veta Simmons?
4. What is the name of the orderly in Chumley's rest?
5. In whom is Ruth Kelly interested?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)