|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Wilson say he left Veta Simmons after he took her upstairs in the sanitarium?
(a) The massage room.
(b) The sauna.
(c) The hydro tub.
(d) Solitary confinement.
2. How do the employees of the sanitarium regard Dr. William Chumley?
(a) They think he's going broke.
(b) They think he only cares about money.
(c) They think he's over the hill and needs to retire.
(d) They are very respectful of him.
3. What is Veta Simmons' reaction to Elwood Dowd's "friend"?
(a) She feels helpless and cries a lot.
(b) She suspects Elwood Dowd has been taking hallucinogenic drugs.
(c) She is embarrassed, but tries to deal with it.
(d) She actively introduces Elwood Dowd's invisible buddy to everyone.
4. Which of these characters is constantly being visited by a pooka?
(a) Elwood Dowd.
(b) Ethel Chauvenet.
(c) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(d) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
5. What does Mrs. Greenawalt try to sell Elwood Dowd over the phone?
(a) A vacuum.
(b) A set of custom knives.
(c) A subscription.
(d) A vacation package.
6. What detail about Elwood Dowd does Veta Simmons originally reveal to Dr. Lyman Sanderson?
(a) Elwood Dowd is too organized.
(b) Elwood Dowd is a widower.
(c) Elwood Dowd is a drinker.
(d) Elwood Dowd is delirious.
7. What observation does Myrtle Mae Simmons make about her mother in relation to her uncle, Elwood Dowd?
(a) That Veta Simmons is no match for Elwood Dowd.
(b) That she is a good cook and party hostess.
(c) That she is too nice to Elwood Dowd and should shun him.
(d) That she is too sympathetic to Elwood Dowd's friend, Harvey.
8. What does Dr. William Chumley do to Dr. Lyman Sanderson when he finds out they admitted the wrong patient?
(a) Dr. William Chumley demands that Dr. Lyman Sanderson sort it out.
(b) Dr. William Chumley fires Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(c) Dr. William Chumley cackles to himself and goes home, ignoring Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(d) Dr. William Chumley explains it was a simple mistake and that he'll look into it personally.
9. Whom does Ethel Chauvenet invite to dinner "soon"?
(a) Dr. William Chumley.
(b) Elwood Dowd.
(c) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(d) Mrs. Greenawalt.
10. What is Elwood Dowd's outlook when Wilson brings him to Dr. Lyman Sanderson?
(a) Wryly amused.
(b) Cheerful and polite.
(c) Outraged and angry.
(d) Sad but compliant.
11. According to the sanitarium staff, who entered the sanitarium with Elwood Dowd?
(a) Veta Simmons and Wilson.
(b) Veta Simmons and Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(c) Veta Simmons only.
(d) Veta Simmons and Harvey.
12. Ethel Chauvenet is key in the first scene because ______________________.
(a) She can sing Italian arias by memory.
(b) She is a fashion consultant to the Simmons women.
(c) She has a cure-all for dementia.
(d) She has a grandson about Myrtle Mae Simmons' age.
13. What form does Harvey take?
(a) Giant cat.
(b) Giant hamster.
(c) Giant guinea pig.
(d) Giant rabbit.
14. Who is speaking to Veta Simmons as the scene opens?
(b) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(c) Dr. William Chumley.
(d) Ruth Kelly, a nurse at the sanitarium.
15. What seems to be the main obstacle for Veta Simmons' full acceptance by the town's society folk?
(a) The family's home is not up to par.
(b) Elwood Dowd and his imaginary friend.
(c) The criminal record of Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(d) The family's lack of money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character was selected to be the associate doctor at the sanitarium?
2. How old is Elwood Dowd, approximately?
3. What does Dr. William Chumley suggest that Dr. Lyman Sanderson can use on Veta Simmons for her treatment?
4. In whom is Ruth Kelly interested?
5. What does Elwood Dowd tell Ethel Chauvenet when she reacts to his casual conversation with his invisible friend?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)