|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Throughout the dialogue between Myrtle Mae Simmons and her mother, what do we learn about their attitude towards Elwood Dowd?
(a) They feel he is mentally unstable.
(b) They feel his invisible friend is real.
(c) They believe he is trying to get himself committed to a mental institution.
(d) They believe he is eccentric and charming.
2. What is the name of the main character's invisible friend?
3. What one word best sums up the type of humor in this scene?
(b) Witty references to pop culture.
(d) All responses are correct.
4. How do the employees of the sanitarium regard Dr. William Chumley?
(a) They are very respectful of him.
(b) They think he's going broke.
(c) They think he only cares about money.
(d) They think he's over the hill and needs to retire.
5. While talking to Veta Simmons, what does Dr. Lyman Sanderson do?
(a) He presses a buzzer on his desk and keeps the conversation moving.
(b) He stands up and runs out of the room to get Wilson.
(c) He starts laughing hysterically.
(d) He tells her to go home.
6. With whom does Elwood Dowd consult about a potential dinner with Ethel Chauvenet?
(a) Dr. William Chumley.
(b) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(d) Veta Simmons.
7. What does Elwood Dowd tell Ethel Chauvenet when she reacts to his casual conversation with his invisible friend?
(a) She better be good or Harvey will get her.
(b) Not to be alarmed.
(c) That Harvey favors her and will bless her home.
(d) That all their lives are in danger if Harvey is not appeased.
8. What does Mrs. Greenawalt try to sell Elwood Dowd over the phone?
(a) A vacation package.
(b) A set of custom knives.
(c) A vacuum.
(d) A subscription.
9. What does Elwood Dowd carry around with him?
(a) An umbrella and a pocket knife.
(b) A snowglobe and a rabbit's foot.
(c) A Bible and a set of keys.
(d) A hat and raincoat.
10. At one point in this scene, Veta Simmons asks Myrtle Mae Simmons to verify what?
(a) Whether or not Ethel Chauvenet's grandson will be at the dinner.
(b) Whether or not Harvey was with Elwood.
(c) If Elwood Dowd had any prescription medications.
(d) Whether or not Mrs. Greenawalt has good taste in whiskey.
11. Who does Dr. William Chumley call to verify the name of the patient to be admitted to the sanitarium?
(a) Mrs. Greenawalt.
(b) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(c) Judge Gaffney.
12. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson ask about Veta Simmons?
(a) Whether or not she would like a job at Chumley's rest.
(b) When can she come in for therapy.
(c) What her habits are and if she's still grieving for her mother.
(d) Where she currently lives.
13. What does Veta Simmons confess to Dr. Lyman Sanderson about Harvey?
(a) That Harvey keeps her awake sometimes by whistling.
(b) That Harvey is a rediculous fantasy of Elwood Dowd's.
(c) That even she has seen him occasionally.
(d) That Harvey has been killing sheep in the area.
14. Where does Wilson say he left Veta Simmons after he took her upstairs in the sanitarium?
(a) The massage room.
(b) The hydro tub.
(c) The sauna.
(d) Solitary confinement.
15. What happens whenever Elwood Dowd tries to introduce Harvey to the sanitarium staff?
(a) He is asked to leave.
(b) He is laughed at.
(c) He is ignored.
(d) He is interrupted each time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does this scene take place?
2. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson posit as the reason why Veta Simmons came to Chumley's Rest?
3. What is the name of the orderly in Chumley's rest?
4. What does Betty Chumley tell the sanitarium staff about Harvey?
5. What seems to be the main obstacle for Veta Simmons' full acceptance by the town's society folk?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)