|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson believe about Veta Simmons?
(a) She is very attractive for an older woman.
(b) She might be an alcoholic.
(c) She is in too much of a hurry to leave.
(d) She could be very dangerous.
2. What is Veta Simmons' reaction whenever Elwood Dowd's invisible friend's name is mentioned?
(a) She giggles and goes back to her business.
(b) She becomes angry.
(c) She refers to her invisible friend by name.
(d) She sighs and flops down in a chair.
3. In whom is Ruth Kelly interested?
(a) Dr. Wilson.
(b) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(c) Dr. Henry Jeckyll.
(d) Dr. William Chumley.
4. Who else besides Elwood Dowd can see his invisible friend?
(a) Whomever the invisible friend wishes to see it.
(b) No-one else.
(c) Just Elwood Dowd's immediate family.
(d) Anyone Elwood Dowd introduces his friend to.
5. Myrtle Mae Simmons answers the phone as the first scene begins. Who is calling?
(a) The IRS.
(b) The Reader's Digest clearinghouse.
(c) A long-lost friend.
(d) The Society Editor of the local paper.
6. What is Veta Simmons' reaction to Elwood Dowd's "friend"?
(a) She is embarrassed, but tries to deal with it.
(b) She feels helpless and cries a lot.
(c) She actively introduces Elwood Dowd's invisible buddy to everyone.
(d) She suspects Elwood Dowd has been taking hallucinogenic drugs.
7. Which of these characters is constantly being visited by a pooka?
(a) Ethel Chauvenet.
(b) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(c) Elwood Dowd.
(d) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
8. What reason does the nurse, Ruth Kelly, give to Dr. Lyman Sanderson for wanting the two of them to join Elwood Dowd for drinks later that night?
(a) Elwood Dowd promised to pay.
(b) Elwood Dowd was pitiful and sad and needed company.
(c) Elwood Dowd is such a gentleman.
(d) Elwood Dowd could teach them how to drink flaming shots.
9. What are Myrtle Mae Simmons and her mother primarily trying to achieve?
(a) They are plotting to rob a bank.
(b) They are trying to harbor a fugitive from justice.
(c) They want to be accepted by the town's society.
(d) They are trying to get help for Elwood Dowd.
10. What does Elwood Dowd carry around with him?
(a) A snowglobe and a rabbit's foot.
(b) An umbrella and a pocket knife.
(c) A hat and raincoat.
(d) A Bible and a set of keys.
11. What does Elwood Dowd get from behind a book on the bookcase?
(a) An atlas of Europe.
(b) A bottle of liquor.
(c) A bottle of arsenic.
(d) A pair of reading glasses.
12. What does Elwood Dowd tell Ethel Chauvenet when she reacts to his casual conversation with his invisible friend?
(a) She better be good or Harvey will get her.
(b) Not to be alarmed.
(c) That all their lives are in danger if Harvey is not appeased.
(d) That Harvey favors her and will bless her home.
13. How does Elwood Dowd deal with his invisible friend?
(a) Continually whines about wanting more wishes.
(b) Acts very nervous and hopes he'll go away.
(c) Graciously allows him to do all the talking.
(d) Very politely, gesturing for him to enter the room first.
14. Where does Wilson say he left Veta Simmons after he took her upstairs in the sanitarium?
(a) The massage room.
(b) The sauna.
(c) Solitary confinement.
(d) The hydro tub.
15. With whom does Elwood Dowd discuss the details of the book he picked from the bookshelf?
(a) Veta Simmons.
(b) Ethel Chauvenet.
(c) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Veta Simmons confess to Dr. Lyman Sanderson about Harvey?
2. According to Elwood Dowd, what exactly IS his invisible friend?
3. What is Veta Simmons trying to do at the sanitarium?
4. Throughout the dialogue between Myrtle Mae Simmons and her mother, what do we learn about their attitude towards Elwood Dowd?
5. Who does Dr. Lyman Sanderson believe needs immediate treatment?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)