|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To make sure that Elwood is "alone", Veta asks Myrtle Mae to verify what in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Whether or not Ethel Chauvenet is with Elwood.
(b) Where Elwood is.
(c) Whether or not Harvey is with Elwood.
(d) If Elwood is drunk or sober.
2. In what room does Elwood wait when the ladies excuse themselves?
(a) The living room.
(b) The dining room.
(c) The parlor.
(d) The foyer.
3. While talking to Veta,what does Dr. Sanderson do?
(a) He starts laughing hysterically.
(b) He tells her to go home.
(c) He presses a buzzer on his desk and keeps the conversation moving.
(d) He stands up and runs out of the room to get Wilson.
4. What observation does Myrtle Mae make about her mother in relation to her uncle, Elwood?
(a) That Veta is no match for Elwood.
(b) That she is a good cook and party hostess.
(c) That she is too nice to Elwood and should shun him.
(d) That she is too sympathetic to Elwood's friend, Harvey.
5. In what locale does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
(a) A field just outside of town.
(b) The local supermarket.
(c) The Dowd mansion.
(d) The sanitarium, Chumley's Rest.
6. What form does Harvey take?
(a) Giant cat.
(b) Giant rabbit.
(c) Giant hamster.
(d) Giant guinea pig.
7. Where does Wilson say he left Veta after he took her upstairs in the sanitarium?
(a) In the sauna.
(b) In solitary confinement.
(c) In the massage room.
(d) In the hydro tub.
8. With whom does Elwood discuss the details of the book he picked from the bookshelf?
(a) Myrtle Mae.
(b) Ethel Chauvenet.
9. Whom does Ethel Chauvenet invite to dinner "soon"?
(a) Mrs. Greenawalt.
(c) Myrtle Mae.
(d) Dr. William Chumley.
10. Who does Dr. Chumley call to verify the name of the patient to be admitted to the sanitarium?
(b) Myrtle Mae.
(c) Judge Gaffney.
(d) Mrs. Greenawalt.
11. Toward the end of Act 1, Scene 1, what does Veta ask Elwood to do?
(a) Wait in the parlor.
(b) Get out of her house.
(c) Help in the kitchen.
(d) Quit playing games.
12. What does Dr. Sanderson posit as the reason why Veta came to Chumley's Rest?
(a) To discredit her brother, Elwood, before he could have her committed.
(b) Because with Elwood committed, she would inherit the mansion.
(c) To admit Elwood to the sanitarium.
(d) To provide the staff of Chumley's Rest with some polite chat.
13. What does Dr. Sanderson claim about Veta's mental condition?
(a) He believes that she has endured Elwood's insanity well.
(b) He thinks her condition is very serious.
(c) He believes she is too eager to leave the sanitarium.
(d) He believes she cannot tell the truth.
14. How is Elwood dressed when we first see him?
(a) In a hat and raincoat.
(b) In a floral shirt and cargo shorts.
(c) In a military officer's dress uniform.
(d) In a business suit.
15. Which character is a telemarketer to whom Veta speaks on the telephone?
(a) William Chumley.
(b) Mrs. Greenawalt.
(c) Ethel Chauvenet.
(d) Miss Johnson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Dr. Chumley's wife?
2. What is Veta's reaction whenever Elwood's invisible friend's name is mentioned?
3. When Veta hangs up the phone with Mrs. Greenawalt, what does she declare?
4. What does Veta confess to Dr. Sanderson about Harvey?
5. What does Betty Chumley tell the sanitarium staff about Harvey?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)