|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Elwood Dowd speak to Mrs. Greenawalt?
(a) Very politely.
(b) Very sadly.
(c) Very abstractly.
(d) Very rudely.
2. Ethel Chauvenet is key in the first scene because ______________________.
(a) She has a cure-all for dementia.
(b) She is a fashion consultant to the Simmons women.
(c) She can sing Italian arias by memory.
(d) She has a grandson about Myrtle Mae Simmons' age.
3. What does Dr. William Chumley do to Dr. Lyman Sanderson when he finds out they admitted the wrong patient?
(a) Dr. William Chumley demands that Dr. Lyman Sanderson sort it out.
(b) Dr. William Chumley explains it was a simple mistake and that he'll look into it personally.
(c) Dr. William Chumley fires Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(d) Dr. William Chumley cackles to himself and goes home, ignoring Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
4. What observation does Myrtle Mae Simmons make about her mother in relation to her uncle, Elwood Dowd?
(a) That she is too sympathetic to Elwood Dowd's friend, Harvey.
(b) That she is too nice to Elwood Dowd and should shun him.
(c) That she is a good cook and party hostess.
(d) That Veta Simmons is no match for Elwood Dowd.
5. What is Veta Simmons' reaction to Elwood Dowd's "friend"?
(a) She suspects Elwood Dowd has been taking hallucinogenic drugs.
(b) She is embarrassed, but tries to deal with it.
(c) She actively introduces Elwood Dowd's invisible buddy to everyone.
(d) She feels helpless and cries a lot.
6. Where does this scene take place?
(a) The Dowd mansion.
(b) A field just outside of town.
(c) The sanitarium, Chumley's Rest.
(d) The local supermarket.
7. What does Wilson read at the end of this scene?
(a) An encyclopedia.
(b) A Bible.
(c) A sales pamphlet.
(d) A psychiatrics manual.
8. According to the dialogue in this scene between Veta SImmons and Ethel Chauvenet, do the two women see each other often?
(b) Yes, about twice a week.
(c) Yes, everyday.
(d) Yes, about once a month.
9. How does Elwood Dowd deal with his invisible friend?
(a) Continually whines about wanting more wishes.
(b) Very politely, gesturing for him to enter the room first.
(c) Graciously allows him to do all the talking.
(d) Acts very nervous and hopes he'll go away.
10. How is Elwood Dowd dressed when we first see him?
(a) In a military officer's dress uniform.
(b) In a floral shirt and cargo shorts.
(c) In a hat and raincoat.
(d) In a business suit.
11. What detail about Elwood Dowd does Veta Simmons originally reveal to Dr. Lyman Sanderson?
(a) Elwood Dowd is delirious.
(b) Elwood Dowd is a drinker.
(c) Elwood Dowd is a widower.
(d) Elwood Dowd is too organized.
12. What does Betty Chumley tell the sanitarium staff about Harvey?
(a) His jacket and hat size.
(b) His name, height, and favorite foods.
(c) His name and that he's a Pooka.
(d) His name and preferences for making friends.
13. What is the name of the main character's niece?
(a) Miss Johnson.
(b) Ethel Chauvenet.
(c) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(d) Veta Simmons.
14. According to the sanitarium staff, who entered the sanitarium with Elwood Dowd?
(a) Veta Simmons only.
(b) Veta Simmons and Wilson.
(c) Veta Simmons and Harvey.
(d) Veta Simmons and Myrtle Mae Simmons.
15. What does Veta Simmons tell Elwood Dowd to do?
(a) Wait in the parlor.
(b) Quit playing games.
(c) Help in the kitchen.
(d) Get out of her house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the probable reason why Veta Simmons wants to get in with the town's society crowd?
2. What form does Harvey take?
3. What does Mrs. Greenawalt try to sell Elwood Dowd over the phone?
4. What does Veta Simmons confess to Dr. Lyman Sanderson about Harvey?
5. What is the name of the orderly in Chumley's rest?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)