|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the dialogue in this scene between Veta SImmons and Ethel Chauvenet, do the two women see each other often?
(b) Yes, everyday.
(c) Yes, about once a month.
(d) Yes, about twice a week.
2. What detail about Elwood Dowd does Veta Simmons originally reveal to Dr. Lyman Sanderson?
(a) Elwood Dowd is too organized.
(b) Elwood Dowd is delirious.
(c) Elwood Dowd is a widower.
(d) Elwood Dowd is a drinker.
3. What reason does the nurse, Ruth Kelly, give to Dr. Lyman Sanderson for wanting the two of them to join Elwood Dowd for drinks later that night?
(a) Elwood Dowd could teach them how to drink flaming shots.
(b) Elwood Dowd promised to pay.
(c) Elwood Dowd is such a gentleman.
(d) Elwood Dowd was pitiful and sad and needed company.
4. How does Elwood Dowd deal with his invisible friend?
(a) Graciously allows him to do all the talking.
(b) Continually whines about wanting more wishes.
(c) Very politely, gesturing for him to enter the room first.
(d) Acts very nervous and hopes he'll go away.
5. Who is ultimately locked up in the sanitarium in this scene?
(b) Veta Simmons.
(c) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(d) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
6. What observation does Myrtle Mae Simmons make about her mother in relation to her uncle, Elwood Dowd?
(a) That she is too nice to Elwood Dowd and should shun him.
(b) That she is a good cook and party hostess.
(c) That Veta Simmons is no match for Elwood Dowd.
(d) That she is too sympathetic to Elwood Dowd's friend, Harvey.
7. Who does Dr. Lyman Sanderson believe needs immediate treatment?
(a) Ruth Kelly.
(b) Ethel Chauvenet.
(c) Veta Simmons.
(d) Elwood Dowd.
8. Does Elwood Dowd order from Mrs. Greenawalt?
(a) Yes, two subscriptions.
(b) Yes, one subscription.
(c) Yes, three subscriptions.
9. What does Mrs. Greenawalt try to sell Elwood Dowd over the phone?
(a) A set of custom knives.
(b) A vacation package.
(c) A vacuum.
(d) A subscription.
10. With whom does Veta Simmons speak next on the telephone?
(a) Ethel Chauvenet.
(b) The plumber.
(c) Dr. William Chumley.
(d) Mrs. Greenawalt.
11. Who are discussing the treatment to be given to Veta Simmons?
(a) Dr. William Chumley, Dr. Lyman Sanderson, and Ruth Kelly.
(b) Dr. William Chumley, Wilson, and Ruth Kelly.
(c) Dr. Lyman Sanderson, Wilson, and Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(d) Dr. William Chumley, Myrtle Mae Simmons, and Ruth Kelly.
12. Myrtle Mae Simmons answers the phone as the first scene begins. Who is calling?
(a) The Reader's Digest clearinghouse.
(b) The IRS.
(c) A long-lost friend.
(d) The Society Editor of the local paper.
13. What does Betty Chumley tell the sanitarium staff about Harvey?
(a) His name and preferences for making friends.
(b) His name, height, and favorite foods.
(c) His jacket and hat size.
(d) His name and that he's a Pooka.
14. What happens whenever Elwood Dowd tries to introduce Harvey to the sanitarium staff?
(a) He is laughed at.
(b) He is asked to leave.
(c) He is ignored.
(d) He is interrupted each time.
15. Who does Elwood Dowd tell Dr. William Chumley's wife that he's looking for?
(c) Mrs. Greenawalt.
(d) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Veta Simmons hangs up the phone with Mrs. Greenawalt, what does she declare?
2. Who else besides Elwood Dowd can see his invisible friend?
3. What is Myrtle Mae Simmons' attitude toward Elwood Dowd?
4. What does Veta Simmons tell Elwood Dowd to do?
5. In what room does Elwood Dowd wait when the ladies excuse themselves?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)