|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What one word best sums up the type of humor in this scene?
(c) All responses are correct.
(d) Witty references to pop culture.
2. What is Myrtle Mae Simmons' attitude toward Elwood Dowd?
(a) She is fearful for his life.
(b) She finds him rude and obnoxious.
(c) She loves him very deeply because he is eccentric.
(d) She is embarrassed by him.
3. What happens whenever Elwood Dowd tries to introduce Harvey to the sanitarium staff?
(a) He is laughed at.
(b) He is ignored.
(c) He is asked to leave.
(d) He is interrupted each time.
4. Where does this scene take place?
(a) A field just outside of town.
(b) The sanitarium, Chumley's Rest.
(c) The local supermarket.
(d) The Dowd mansion.
5. What is Ethel Chauvenet's reaction to Elwood Dowd's imaginary friend?
(a) She introduces Elwood Dowd to her own imaginary friend.
(b) She is horrified and wants to get away.
(c) She is oddly accepting of it.
(d) She calls the sanitarium immediately.
6. What detail about Elwood Dowd does Veta Simmons originally reveal to Dr. Lyman Sanderson?
(a) Elwood Dowd is delirious.
(b) Elwood Dowd is a drinker.
(c) Elwood Dowd is a widower.
(d) Elwood Dowd is too organized.
7. Who else besides Elwood Dowd can see his invisible friend?
(a) Anyone Elwood Dowd introduces his friend to.
(b) Just Elwood Dowd's immediate family.
(c) Whomever the invisible friend wishes to see it.
(d) No-one else.
8. How tall is Harvey, according to Elwood Dowd?
(a) Eight feet tall.
(b) Ten feet tall.
(c) Four feet tall.
(d) Six feet tall.
9. What does Mrs. Greenawalt try to sell Elwood Dowd over the phone?
(a) A vacuum.
(b) A set of custom knives.
(c) A subscription.
(d) A vacation package.
10. What is the name of the orderly in Chumley's rest?
(a) Dr. Saul Rubinek.
(b) Dr. William Chumley.
(c) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
11. What is the name of the main character's niece?
(a) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(b) Ethel Chauvenet.
(c) Miss Johnson.
(d) Veta Simmons.
12. What is Veta Simmons' reaction to Elwood Dowd's "friend"?
(a) She feels helpless and cries a lot.
(b) She is embarrassed, but tries to deal with it.
(c) She actively introduces Elwood Dowd's invisible buddy to everyone.
(d) She suspects Elwood Dowd has been taking hallucinogenic drugs.
13. Where does Wilson say he left Veta Simmons after he took her upstairs in the sanitarium?
(a) The hydro tub.
(b) The sauna.
(c) The massage room.
(d) Solitary confinement.
14. What words appear at the bottom of the page that Wilson is reading when the scene ends?
(a) "How are you, Mr. Wilson?"
(b) "You're standing on my foot."
(c) "Hey, put me down!"
(d) "You'll never find me."
15. What does Dr. William Chumley do to Dr. Lyman Sanderson when he finds out they admitted the wrong patient?
(a) Dr. William Chumley fires Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(b) Dr. William Chumley cackles to himself and goes home, ignoring Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(c) Dr. William Chumley demands that Dr. Lyman Sanderson sort it out.
(d) Dr. William Chumley explains it was a simple mistake and that he'll look into it personally.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Elwood Dowd, what exactly IS his invisible friend?
2. What does Wilson read at the end of this scene?
3. With whom does Elwood Dowd consult about a potential dinner with Ethel Chauvenet?
4. While talking to Veta Simmons, what does Dr. Lyman Sanderson do?
5. Ethel Chauvenet is key in the first scene because ______________________.
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)