|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In whom is Ruth Kelly interested?
(a) Dr. William Chumley.
(b) Dr. Wilson.
(c) Dr. Henry Jeckyll.
(d) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
2. What happens whenever Elwood Dowd tries to introduce Harvey to the sanitarium staff?
(a) He is laughed at.
(b) He is asked to leave.
(c) He is interrupted each time.
(d) He is ignored.
3. In what room does Elwood Dowd wait when the ladies excuse themselves?
(a) The living room.
(b) The foyer.
(c) The dining room.
(d) The parlor.
4. While talking to Veta Simmons, what does Dr. Lyman Sanderson do?
(a) He stands up and runs out of the room to get Wilson.
(b) He presses a buzzer on his desk and keeps the conversation moving.
(c) He starts laughing hysterically.
(d) He tells her to go home.
5. What form does Harvey take?
(a) Giant cat.
(b) Giant hamster.
(c) Giant rabbit.
(d) Giant guinea pig.
6. How does Elwood Dowd deal with his invisible friend?
(a) Acts very nervous and hopes he'll go away.
(b) Very politely, gesturing for him to enter the room first.
(c) Continually whines about wanting more wishes.
(d) Graciously allows him to do all the talking.
7. According to the sanitarium staff, who entered the sanitarium with Elwood Dowd?
(a) Veta Simmons only.
(b) Veta Simmons and Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(c) Veta Simmons and Harvey.
(d) Veta Simmons and Wilson.
8. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson claim about Veta Simmons' mental condition?
(a) He believes that she has endured Elwood Dowd's insanity well.
(b) He believes she cannot tell the truth.
(c) He believes she is too eager to leave the sanitarium.
(d) He thinks her condition is very serious.
9. How do the employees of the sanitarium regard Dr. William Chumley?
(a) They are very respectful of him.
(b) They think he's going broke.
(c) They think he only cares about money.
(d) They think he's over the hill and needs to retire.
10. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson ask about Veta Simmons?
(a) What her habits are and if she's still grieving for her mother.
(b) Where she currently lives.
(c) When can she come in for therapy.
(d) Whether or not she would like a job at Chumley's rest.
11. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson posit as the reason why Veta Simmons came to Chumley's Rest?
(a) To discredit her brother, Elwood Dowd, before he could have her committed.
(b) Because with Elwood Dowd committed, she would inherit the mansion.
(c) To provide the staff of Chumley's Rest with some polite chat.
(d) To admit Elwood Dowd to the sanitarium.
12. What is Myrtle Mae Simmons' attitude toward Elwood Dowd?
(a) She is embarrassed by him.
(b) She is fearful for his life.
(c) She loves him very deeply because he is eccentric.
(d) She finds him rude and obnoxious.
13. What is Elwood Dowd's outlook when Wilson brings him to Dr. Lyman Sanderson?
(a) Cheerful and polite.
(b) Sad but compliant.
(c) Outraged and angry.
(d) Wryly amused.
14. Who does Dr. Lyman Sanderson believe needs immediate treatment?
(a) Veta Simmons.
(b) Ethel Chauvenet.
(c) Elwood Dowd.
(d) Ruth Kelly.
15. What does Wilson read at the end of this scene?
(a) A sales pamphlet.
(b) A psychiatrics manual.
(c) A Bible.
(d) An encyclopedia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Betty Chumley tell the sanitarium staff about Harvey?
2. According to Elwood Dowd, what exactly IS his invisible friend?
3. How old is Elwood Dowd, approximately?
4. What does Veta Simmons tell Elwood Dowd to do?
5. What are Veta Simmons and Ruth Kelly talking about?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)