|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who else besides Elwood Dowd can see his invisible friend?
(a) Whomever the invisible friend wishes to see it.
(b) No-one else.
(c) Just Elwood Dowd's immediate family.
(d) Anyone Elwood Dowd introduces his friend to.
2. Where does this scene take place?
(a) A field just outside of town.
(b) The local supermarket.
(c) The sanitarium, Chumley's Rest.
(d) The Dowd mansion.
3. How do the employees of the sanitarium regard Dr. William Chumley?
(a) They are very respectful of him.
(b) They think he only cares about money.
(c) They think he's over the hill and needs to retire.
(d) They think he's going broke.
4. According to the sanitarium staff, who entered the sanitarium with Elwood Dowd?
(a) Veta Simmons and Wilson.
(b) Veta Simmons and Harvey.
(c) Veta Simmons only.
(d) Veta Simmons and Myrtle Mae Simmons.
5. What one word best sums up the type of humor in this scene?
(a) All responses are correct.
(d) Witty references to pop culture.
6. Does Elwood Dowd order from Mrs. Greenawalt?
(a) Yes, two subscriptions.
(c) Yes, one subscription.
(d) Yes, three subscriptions.
7. What reason does the nurse, Ruth Kelly, give to Dr. Lyman Sanderson for wanting the two of them to join Elwood Dowd for drinks later that night?
(a) Elwood Dowd promised to pay.
(b) Elwood Dowd was pitiful and sad and needed company.
(c) Elwood Dowd could teach them how to drink flaming shots.
(d) Elwood Dowd is such a gentleman.
8. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson ask about Veta Simmons?
(a) What her habits are and if she's still grieving for her mother.
(b) Whether or not she would like a job at Chumley's rest.
(c) When can she come in for therapy.
(d) Where she currently lives.
9. How tall is Harvey, according to Elwood Dowd?
(a) Four feet tall.
(b) Eight feet tall.
(c) Ten feet tall.
(d) Six feet tall.
10. In what room does Elwood Dowd wait when the ladies excuse themselves?
(a) The parlor.
(b) The living room.
(c) The foyer.
(d) The dining room.
11. What is Veta Simmons' reaction whenever Elwood Dowd's invisible friend's name is mentioned?
(a) She refers to her invisible friend by name.
(b) She sighs and flops down in a chair.
(c) She giggles and goes back to her business.
(d) She becomes angry.
12. Who does Dr. William Chumley call to verify the name of the patient to be admitted to the sanitarium?
(a) Mrs. Greenawalt.
(c) Judge Gaffney.
(d) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
13. What does Veta Simmons tell Elwood Dowd to do?
(a) Get out of her house.
(b) Wait in the parlor.
(c) Quit playing games.
(d) Help in the kitchen.
14. How is Elwood Dowd dressed when we first see him?
(a) In a military officer's dress uniform.
(b) In a hat and raincoat.
(c) In a business suit.
(d) In a floral shirt and cargo shorts.
15. What does Mrs. Greenawalt try to sell Elwood Dowd over the phone?
(a) A set of custom knives.
(b) A subscription.
(c) A vacuum.
(d) A vacation package.
Short Answer Questions
1. Myrtle Mae Simmons answers the phone as the first scene begins. Who is calling?
2. How does Elwood Dowd speak to Mrs. Greenawalt?
3. What does Elwood Dowd tell Ethel Chauvenet when she reacts to his casual conversation with his invisible friend?
4. What are Veta Simmons and Ruth Kelly talking about?
5. According to Elwood Dowd, what exactly IS his invisible friend?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)