|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Betty Chumley and Wilson are left alone at the end of this scene. What do they talk about?
(a) What a Pooka is.
(b) What a tremendous mistake it was to admit Veta Simmons.
(c) When the office would be remodeled.
(d) How polite Elwood Dowd is.
2. What does Elwood Dowd get from behind a book on the bookcase?
(a) An atlas of Europe.
(b) A bottle of liquor.
(c) A bottle of arsenic.
(d) A pair of reading glasses.
3. What is Veta Simmons' reaction to Elwood Dowd's "friend"?
(a) She suspects Elwood Dowd has been taking hallucinogenic drugs.
(b) She is embarrassed, but tries to deal with it.
(c) She actively introduces Elwood Dowd's invisible buddy to everyone.
(d) She feels helpless and cries a lot.
4. What are Veta Simmons and Ruth Kelly talking about?
(a) The conditions at Chumley's Rest.
(b) The weather.
(c) The latest hit song on the radio.
(d) Elwood Dowd.
5. What is the name of the main character's invisible friend?
6. Where does Wilson say he left Veta Simmons after he took her upstairs in the sanitarium?
(a) The massage room.
(b) The hydro tub.
(c) The sauna.
(d) Solitary confinement.
7. What is the name of the orderly in Chumley's rest?
(a) Dr. William Chumley.
(b) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(d) Dr. Saul Rubinek.
8. What does Veta Simmons tell Elwood Dowd to do?
(a) Quit playing games.
(b) Wait in the parlor.
(c) Get out of her house.
(d) Help in the kitchen.
9. According to the sanitarium staff, who entered the sanitarium with Elwood Dowd?
(a) Veta Simmons and Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(b) Veta Simmons and Harvey.
(c) Veta Simmons and Wilson.
(d) Veta Simmons only.
10. What seems to be the main obstacle for Veta Simmons' full acceptance by the town's society folk?
(a) Elwood Dowd and his imaginary friend.
(b) The family's home is not up to par.
(c) The criminal record of Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(d) The family's lack of money.
11. What form does Harvey take?
(a) Giant cat.
(b) Giant guinea pig.
(c) Giant hamster.
(d) Giant rabbit.
12. At one point in this scene, Veta Simmons asks Myrtle Mae Simmons to verify what?
(a) If Elwood Dowd had any prescription medications.
(b) Whether or not Harvey was with Elwood.
(c) Whether or not Mrs. Greenawalt has good taste in whiskey.
(d) Whether or not Ethel Chauvenet's grandson will be at the dinner.
13. In whom is Ruth Kelly interested?
(a) Dr. Wilson.
(b) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(c) Dr. William Chumley.
(d) Dr. Henry Jeckyll.
14. How does Elwood Dowd describe Harvey to Dr. William Chumley's wife?
(a) He's a Pooka.
(b) He's very choosy about who he likes.
(c) All responses are correct.
(d) He's very tall.
15. How does Elwood Dowd deal with his invisible friend?
(a) Very politely, gesturing for him to enter the room first.
(b) Acts very nervous and hopes he'll go away.
(c) Continually whines about wanting more wishes.
(d) Graciously allows him to do all the talking.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Elwood Dowd say that Harvey would like?
2. What does Elwood Dowd carry around with him?
3. Where does this scene take place?
4. What is the name of the main character's niece?
5. What are Myrtle Mae Simmons and her mother primarily trying to achieve?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)