|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does the nurse, Ruth Kelly, give to Dr. Lyman Sanderson for wanting the two of them to join Elwood Dowd for drinks later that night?
(a) Elwood Dowd promised to pay.
(b) Elwood Dowd could teach them how to drink flaming shots.
(c) Elwood Dowd was pitiful and sad and needed company.
(d) Elwood Dowd is such a gentleman.
2. What does Elwood Dowd carry around with him?
(a) A Bible and a set of keys.
(b) A hat and raincoat.
(c) An umbrella and a pocket knife.
(d) A snowglobe and a rabbit's foot.
3. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson ask about Veta Simmons?
(a) What her habits are and if she's still grieving for her mother.
(b) Where she currently lives.
(c) When can she come in for therapy.
(d) Whether or not she would like a job at Chumley's rest.
4. Where does Wilson say he left Veta Simmons after he took her upstairs in the sanitarium?
(a) The hydro tub.
(b) The sauna.
(c) Solitary confinement.
(d) The massage room.
5. Who does Dr. Lyman Sanderson believe needs immediate treatment?
(a) Veta Simmons.
(b) Elwood Dowd.
(c) Ethel Chauvenet.
(d) Ruth Kelly.
6. At one point in this scene, Veta Simmons asks Myrtle Mae Simmons to verify what?
(a) Whether or not Harvey was with Elwood.
(b) Whether or not Mrs. Greenawalt has good taste in whiskey.
(c) Whether or not Ethel Chauvenet's grandson will be at the dinner.
(d) If Elwood Dowd had any prescription medications.
7. With whom does Elwood Dowd consult about a potential dinner with Ethel Chauvenet?
(b) Dr. William Chumley.
(c) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(d) Veta Simmons.
8. When Veta Simmons hangs up the phone with Mrs. Greenawalt, what does she declare?
(a) That Mrs. Greenawalt may have an alcohol problem.
(b) That Elwood Dowd's invisible friend could be the life of the party.
(c) That Mrs. Greenawalt is an annoyance.
(d) That Elwood Dowd has embarrassed her for the last time.
9. What does Myrtle Mae Simmons wonder aloud about her uncle, Eldwood Dowd?
(a) Why he can't be normal like her mother.
(b) Why he can't just be run over by a truck.
(c) Why he isn't in show business.
(d) Why he carries around an extra hat and raincoat.
10. Who are discussing the treatment to be given to Veta Simmons?
(a) Dr. William Chumley, Wilson, and Ruth Kelly.
(b) Dr. Lyman Sanderson, Wilson, and Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(c) Dr. William Chumley, Dr. Lyman Sanderson, and Ruth Kelly.
(d) Dr. William Chumley, Myrtle Mae Simmons, and Ruth Kelly.
11. How does Elwood Dowd deal with his invisible friend?
(a) Very politely, gesturing for him to enter the room first.
(b) Continually whines about wanting more wishes.
(c) Graciously allows him to do all the talking.
(d) Acts very nervous and hopes he'll go away.
12. According to Elwood Dowd, what exactly IS his invisible friend?
(a) A pixie.
(b) A Pooka.
(c) A great enigma.
(d) A wood spirit.
13. What are Veta Simmons and Ruth Kelly talking about?
(a) Elwood Dowd.
(b) The conditions at Chumley's Rest.
(c) The latest hit song on the radio.
(d) The weather.
14. How do the employees of the sanitarium regard Dr. William Chumley?
(a) They think he's going broke.
(b) They are very respectful of him.
(c) They think he's over the hill and needs to retire.
(d) They think he only cares about money.
15. What does Veta Simmons confess to Dr. Lyman Sanderson about Harvey?
(a) That even she has seen him occasionally.
(b) That Harvey keeps her awake sometimes by whistling.
(c) That Harvey is a rediculous fantasy of Elwood Dowd's.
(d) That Harvey has been killing sheep in the area.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the main character's invisible friend?
2. Which of these characters is constantly being visited by a pooka?
3. With whom does Elwood Dowd discuss the details of the book he picked from the bookshelf?
4. Who does Elwood Dowd say that Harvey would like?
5. While talking to Veta Simmons, what does Dr. Lyman Sanderson do?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)