|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Elwood dressed when we first see him?
(a) In a business suit.
(b) In a military officer's dress uniform.
(c) In a hat and raincoat.
(d) In a floral shirt and cargo shorts.
2. What is the name of the main character's niece?
(a) Ethel Chauvenet.
(b) Veta Simmons.
(c) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(d) Miss Johnson.
3. Who does Dr. Chumley call to verify the name of the patient to be admitted to the sanitarium?
(b) Mrs. Greenawalt.
(c) Myrtle Mae.
(d) Judge Gaffney.
4. How do the employees of the sanitarium regard Dr. William Chumley?
(a) They think he's going broke.
(b) They are very respectful of him.
(c) They think he only cares about money.
(d) They think he's over the hill and needs to retire.
5. What does Dr. Sanderson ask about Veta?
(a) What her habits are and if she's still grieving for her mother.
(b) Whether or not she would like a job at Chumley's rest.
(c) When she can come in for therapy.
(d) Where she currently lives.
6. What reason does the nurse, Ruth Kelly, give to Dr. Sanderson for wanting the two of them to join Elwood for drinks later that night?
(a) Elwood promised to pay.
(b) Elwood could teach them how to drink flaming shots.
(c) Elwood was pitiful and sad and needed company.
(d) Elwood is such a gentleman.
7. When Veta hangs up the phone with Mrs. Greenawalt, what does she declare?
(a) That Mrs. Greenawalt may have an alcohol problem.
(b) That Elwood's invisible friend could be the life of the party.
(c) That Mrs. Greenawalt is an annoyance.
(d) That Elwood has embarrassed her for the last time.
8. What form does Harvey take?
(a) Giant cat.
(b) Giant hamster.
(c) Giant rabbit.
(d) Giant guinea pig.
9. According to the sanitarium staff, who entered the sanitarium with Elwood?
(b) Veta and Myrtle Mae.
(c) Veta and Wilson.
(d) Veta and Harvey.
10. How does Elwood describe Harvey to Dr. Chumley's wife?
(a) He's very tall.
(b) He's a Pooka.
(c) All responses are correct.
(d) He's very choosy about who he likes.
11. Who is ultimately locked up in the sanitarium in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Dr. Sanderson.
(d) Myrtle Mae.
12. Throughout the dialogue between Myrtle Mae and her mother, what do we learn about their attitude towards Elwood?
(a) They believe he is eccentric and charming.
(b) They believe he is trying to get himself committed to a mental institution.
(c) They feel he is mentally unstable.
(d) They feel his invisible friend is real.
13. According to Elwood, what exactly IS his invisible friend?
(a) A wood spirit.
(b) A Pooka.
(c) A pixie.
(d) A great enigma.
14. What does Dr. William Chumley suggest that Dr. Sanderson can use on Veta for her treatment?
(a) Formula 44.
(b) Formula 401.
(c) Formula 779.
(d) Formula 977.
15. What is the name of the main character's invisible friend?
Short Answer Questions
1. What one word best sums up the type of humor in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. Where does Wilson say he left Veta after he took her upstairs in the sanitarium?
3. With whom does Elwood consult about a potential dinner with Ethel Chauvenet?
4. In what locale does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
5. What observation does Myrtle Mae make about her mother in relation to her uncle, Elwood?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)