|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Myrtle Mae Simmons wonder aloud about her uncle, Eldwood Dowd?
(a) Why he can't be normal like her mother.
(b) Why he can't just be run over by a truck.
(c) Why he carries around an extra hat and raincoat.
(d) Why he isn't in show business.
2. What is Myrtle Mae Simmons' attitude toward Elwood Dowd?
(a) She is embarrassed by him.
(b) She finds him rude and obnoxious.
(c) She loves him very deeply because he is eccentric.
(d) She is fearful for his life.
3. What does Veta Simmons tell Elwood Dowd to do?
(a) Quit playing games.
(b) Help in the kitchen.
(c) Get out of her house.
(d) Wait in the parlor.
4. According to the dialogue in this scene between Veta SImmons and Ethel Chauvenet, do the two women see each other often?
(a) Yes, everyday.
(b) Yes, about once a month.
(c) Yes, about twice a week.
5. With whom does Elwood Dowd consult about a potential dinner with Ethel Chauvenet?
(a) Dr. William Chumley.
(b) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(c) Veta Simmons.
6. What is the name of Dr. William Chumley's wife?
(a) Doreen Chumley.
(b) Betty Chumley.
(c) Christine Chumley.
(d) Barbara Chumley.
7. Which character was selected to be the associate doctor at the sanitarium?
(a) Dr. William B. Chumley.
(b) Miss Johnson.
(c) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
8. While talking to Veta Simmons, what does Dr. Lyman Sanderson do?
(a) He presses a buzzer on his desk and keeps the conversation moving.
(b) He starts laughing hysterically.
(c) He tells her to go home.
(d) He stands up and runs out of the room to get Wilson.
9. What does Elwood Dowd get from behind a book on the bookcase?
(a) A bottle of arsenic.
(b) An atlas of Europe.
(c) A bottle of liquor.
(d) A pair of reading glasses.
10. Who is speaking to Veta Simmons as the scene opens?
(a) Ruth Kelly, a nurse at the sanitarium.
(c) Dr. William Chumley.
(d) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
11. What one word best sums up the type of humor in this scene?
(a) All responses are correct.
(d) Witty references to pop culture.
12. With whom does Veta Simmons speak next on the telephone?
(a) Dr. William Chumley.
(b) The plumber.
(c) Ethel Chauvenet.
(d) Mrs. Greenawalt.
13. When Veta Simmons hangs up the phone with Mrs. Greenawalt, what does she declare?
(a) That Mrs. Greenawalt may have an alcohol problem.
(b) That Elwood Dowd has embarrassed her for the last time.
(c) That Elwood Dowd's invisible friend could be the life of the party.
(d) That Mrs. Greenawalt is an annoyance.
14. What does Mrs. Greenawalt try to sell Elwood Dowd over the phone?
(a) A vacuum.
(b) A vacation package.
(c) A set of custom knives.
(d) A subscription.
15. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson ask about Veta Simmons?
(a) Where she currently lives.
(b) Whether or not she would like a job at Chumley's rest.
(c) When can she come in for therapy.
(d) What her habits are and if she's still grieving for her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does the nurse, Ruth Kelly, give to Dr. Lyman Sanderson for wanting the two of them to join Elwood Dowd for drinks later that night?
2. What observation does Myrtle Mae Simmons make about her mother in relation to her uncle, Elwood Dowd?
3. Who are discussing the treatment to be given to Veta Simmons?
4. Who does Elwood Dowd say that Harvey would like?
5. What does Dr. William Chumley do to Dr. Lyman Sanderson when he finds out they admitted the wrong patient?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)