|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the orderly in Chumley's rest?
(a) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(c) Dr. William Chumley.
(d) Dr. Saul Rubinek.
2. According to the dialogue in this scene between Veta SImmons and Ethel Chauvenet, do the two women see each other often?
(a) Yes, everyday.
(b) Yes, about once a month.
(c) Yes, about twice a week.
3. What one word best sums up the type of humor in this scene?
(c) Witty references to pop culture.
(d) All responses are correct.
4. Where does Wilson say he left Veta Simmons after he took her upstairs in the sanitarium?
(a) The massage room.
(b) The hydro tub.
(c) The sauna.
(d) Solitary confinement.
5. What seems to be the main obstacle for Veta Simmons' full acceptance by the town's society folk?
(a) Elwood Dowd and his imaginary friend.
(b) The family's home is not up to par.
(c) The criminal record of Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(d) The family's lack of money.
6. How is Elwood Dowd dressed when we first see him?
(a) In a floral shirt and cargo shorts.
(b) In a business suit.
(c) In a military officer's dress uniform.
(d) In a hat and raincoat.
7. What does Elwood Dowd tell Ethel Chauvenet when she reacts to his casual conversation with his invisible friend?
(a) Not to be alarmed.
(b) She better be good or Harvey will get her.
(c) That Harvey favors her and will bless her home.
(d) That all their lives are in danger if Harvey is not appeased.
8. With whom does Elwood Dowd consult about a potential dinner with Ethel Chauvenet?
(a) Veta Simmons.
(c) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(d) Dr. William Chumley.
9. How do the employees of the sanitarium regard Dr. William Chumley?
(a) They think he only cares about money.
(b) They think he's going broke.
(c) They are very respectful of him.
(d) They think he's over the hill and needs to retire.
10. What does Elwood Dowd carry around with him?
(a) An umbrella and a pocket knife.
(b) A hat and raincoat.
(c) A Bible and a set of keys.
(d) A snowglobe and a rabbit's foot.
11. What does Dr. William Chumley suggest that Dr. Lyman Sanderson can use on Veta Simmons for her treatment?
(a) Formula 401.
(b) Grecian Formula.
(c) Formula 44.
(d) Formula 977.
12. When Veta Simmons hangs up the phone with Mrs. Greenawalt, what does she declare?
(a) That Mrs. Greenawalt may have an alcohol problem.
(b) That Mrs. Greenawalt is an annoyance.
(c) That Elwood Dowd's invisible friend could be the life of the party.
(d) That Elwood Dowd has embarrassed her for the last time.
13. What is Veta Simmons' reaction whenever Elwood Dowd's invisible friend's name is mentioned?
(a) She sighs and flops down in a chair.
(b) She refers to her invisible friend by name.
(c) She becomes angry.
(d) She giggles and goes back to her business.
14. What does Dr. William Chumley do to Dr. Lyman Sanderson when he finds out they admitted the wrong patient?
(a) Dr. William Chumley cackles to himself and goes home, ignoring Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(b) Dr. William Chumley explains it was a simple mistake and that he'll look into it personally.
(c) Dr. William Chumley fires Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(d) Dr. William Chumley demands that Dr. Lyman Sanderson sort it out.
15. How does Elwood Dowd deal with his invisible friend?
(a) Graciously allows him to do all the talking.
(b) Very politely, gesturing for him to enter the room first.
(c) Acts very nervous and hopes he'll go away.
(d) Continually whines about wanting more wishes.
Short Answer Questions
1. While talking to Veta Simmons, what does Dr. Lyman Sanderson do?
2. What are Veta Simmons and Ruth Kelly talking about?
3. According to Elwood Dowd, what exactly IS his invisible friend?
4. How tall is Harvey, according to Elwood Dowd?
5. What does Veta Simmons tell Elwood Dowd to do?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)