|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Veta Simmons and Ruth Kelly talking about?
(a) Elwood Dowd.
(b) The weather.
(c) The latest hit song on the radio.
(d) The conditions at Chumley's Rest.
2. What is the name of the main character's invisible friend?
3. What does Wilson read at the end of this scene?
(a) An encyclopedia.
(b) A psychiatrics manual.
(c) A sales pamphlet.
(d) A Bible.
4. Throughout the dialogue between Myrtle Mae Simmons and her mother, what do we learn about their attitude towards Elwood Dowd?
(a) They believe he is trying to get himself committed to a mental institution.
(b) They believe he is eccentric and charming.
(c) They feel his invisible friend is real.
(d) They feel he is mentally unstable.
5. How does Elwood Dowd speak to Mrs. Greenawalt?
(a) Very rudely.
(b) Very abstractly.
(c) Very politely.
(d) Very sadly.
6. According to the dialogue in this scene between Veta SImmons and Ethel Chauvenet, do the two women see each other often?
(a) Yes, everyday.
(b) Yes, about twice a week.
(d) Yes, about once a month.
7. What form does Harvey take?
(a) Giant cat.
(b) Giant hamster.
(c) Giant guinea pig.
(d) Giant rabbit.
8. What words appear at the bottom of the page that Wilson is reading when the scene ends?
(a) "Hey, put me down!"
(b) "How are you, Mr. Wilson?"
(c) "You'll never find me."
(d) "You're standing on my foot."
9. How do the employees of the sanitarium regard Dr. William Chumley?
(a) They think he's over the hill and needs to retire.
(b) They think he only cares about money.
(c) They think he's going broke.
(d) They are very respectful of him.
10. Who else besides Elwood Dowd can see his invisible friend?
(a) No-one else.
(b) Just Elwood Dowd's immediate family.
(c) Whomever the invisible friend wishes to see it.
(d) Anyone Elwood Dowd introduces his friend to.
11. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson believe about Veta Simmons?
(a) She might be an alcoholic.
(b) She is in too much of a hurry to leave.
(c) She could be very dangerous.
(d) She is very attractive for an older woman.
12. What observation does Myrtle Mae Simmons make about her mother in relation to her uncle, Elwood Dowd?
(a) That Veta Simmons is no match for Elwood Dowd.
(b) That she is a good cook and party hostess.
(c) That she is too nice to Elwood Dowd and should shun him.
(d) That she is too sympathetic to Elwood Dowd's friend, Harvey.
13. What is Veta Simmons' reaction whenever Elwood Dowd's invisible friend's name is mentioned?
(a) She giggles and goes back to her business.
(b) She refers to her invisible friend by name.
(c) She sighs and flops down in a chair.
(d) She becomes angry.
14. Does Elwood Dowd order from Mrs. Greenawalt?
(a) Yes, one subscription.
(c) Yes, two subscriptions.
(d) Yes, three subscriptions.
15. What does Elwood Dowd carry around with him?
(a) A hat and raincoat.
(b) A Bible and a set of keys.
(c) A snowglobe and a rabbit's foot.
(d) An umbrella and a pocket knife.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Elwood Dowd consult about a potential dinner with Ethel Chauvenet?
2. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson claim about Veta Simmons' mental condition?
3. How old is Elwood Dowd, approximately?
4. Who does Elwood Dowd tell Dr. William Chumley's wife that he's looking for?
5. Who is speaking to Veta Simmons as the scene opens?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)