|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Throughout the dialogue between Myrtle Mae Simmons and her mother, what do we learn about their attitude towards Elwood Dowd?
(a) They believe he is eccentric and charming.
(b) They believe he is trying to get himself committed to a mental institution.
(c) They feel his invisible friend is real.
(d) They feel he is mentally unstable.
2. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson posit as the reason why Veta Simmons came to Chumley's Rest?
(a) Because with Elwood Dowd committed, she would inherit the mansion.
(b) To admit Elwood Dowd to the sanitarium.
(c) To discredit her brother, Elwood Dowd, before he could have her committed.
(d) To provide the staff of Chumley's Rest with some polite chat.
3. What does Veta Simmons tell Elwood Dowd to do?
(a) Wait in the parlor.
(b) Quit playing games.
(c) Help in the kitchen.
(d) Get out of her house.
4. Who does Dr. William Chumley call to verify the name of the patient to be admitted to the sanitarium?
(a) Mrs. Greenawalt.
(b) Judge Gaffney.
(d) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
5. According to the sanitarium staff, who entered the sanitarium with Elwood Dowd?
(a) Veta Simmons and Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(b) Veta Simmons and Wilson.
(c) Veta Simmons only.
(d) Veta Simmons and Harvey.
6. What are Myrtle Mae Simmons and her mother primarily trying to achieve?
(a) They want to be accepted by the town's society.
(b) They are trying to get help for Elwood Dowd.
(c) They are plotting to rob a bank.
(d) They are trying to harbor a fugitive from justice.
7. Who does Elwood Dowd tell Dr. William Chumley's wife that he's looking for?
(c) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(d) Mrs. Greenawalt.
8. With whom does Elwood Dowd discuss the details of the book he picked from the bookshelf?
(a) Veta Simmons.
(b) Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(d) Ethel Chauvenet.
9. Myrtle Mae Simmons answers the phone as the first scene begins. Who is calling?
(a) The Reader's Digest clearinghouse.
(b) The Society Editor of the local paper.
(c) A long-lost friend.
(d) The IRS.
10. Which character was selected to be the associate doctor at the sanitarium?
(b) Dr. William B. Chumley.
(c) Miss Johnson.
(d) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
11. In whom is Ruth Kelly interested?
(a) Dr. Wilson.
(b) Dr. Lyman Sanderson.
(c) Dr. William Chumley.
(d) Dr. Henry Jeckyll.
12. What is Veta Simmons trying to do at the sanitarium?
(a) Introduce Myrtle Mae Simmons to Wilson.
(b) Create a business partnership with Ruth Kelly.
(c) Have Elwood Dowd commited for evaluation.
(d) Evaluate the facilities for future fund-raising events.
13. When Veta Simmons hangs up the phone with Mrs. Greenawalt, what does she declare?
(a) That Elwood Dowd's invisible friend could be the life of the party.
(b) That Mrs. Greenawalt may have an alcohol problem.
(c) That Mrs. Greenawalt is an annoyance.
(d) That Elwood Dowd has embarrassed her for the last time.
14. How is Elwood Dowd dressed when we first see him?
(a) In a business suit.
(b) In a floral shirt and cargo shorts.
(c) In a hat and raincoat.
(d) In a military officer's dress uniform.
15. What does Elwood Dowd carry around with him?
(a) A snowglobe and a rabbit's foot.
(b) A hat and raincoat.
(c) An umbrella and a pocket knife.
(d) A Bible and a set of keys.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Veta Simmons confess to Dr. Lyman Sanderson about Harvey?
2. Who are discussing the treatment to be given to Veta Simmons?
3. What does Elwood Dowd get from behind a book on the bookcase?
4. What does Dr. Lyman Sanderson ask about Veta Simmons?
5. How tall is Harvey, according to Elwood Dowd?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)