|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethel Chauvenet is key in the first scene because ______________________.
(a) She is a fashion consultant to the Simmons women.
(b) She can sing Italian arias by memory.
(c) She has a cure-all for dementia.
(d) She has a grandson about Myrtle Mae Simmons' age.
2. Who else besides Elwood Dowd can see his invisible friend?
(a) Just Elwood Dowd's immediate family.
(b) No-one else.
(c) Whomever the invisible friend wishes to see it.
(d) Anyone Elwood Dowd introduces his friend to.
3. What is the probable reason why Veta Simmons wants to get in with the town's society crowd?
(a) To get better psychiatric care for Elwood Dowd.
(b) To find a good husband for her daughter, Myrtle Mae Simmons.
(c) To hold frequent book readings in her home.
(d) To improve her financial status.
4. What does Elwood Dowd get from behind a book on the bookcase?
(a) A pair of reading glasses.
(b) An atlas of Europe.
(c) A bottle of arsenic.
(d) A bottle of liquor.
5. What is Veta Simmons' reaction to Elwood Dowd's "friend"?
(a) She feels helpless and cries a lot.
(b) She actively introduces Elwood Dowd's invisible buddy to everyone.
(c) She suspects Elwood Dowd has been taking hallucinogenic drugs.
(d) She is embarrassed, but tries to deal with it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the main character's niece?
2. What is Veta Simmons' reaction whenever Elwood Dowd's invisible friend's name is mentioned?
3. With whom does Veta Simmons speak next on the telephone?
4. What seems to be the main obstacle for Veta Simmons' full acceptance by the town's society folk?
5. Does Elwood Dowd order from Mrs. Greenawalt?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)