|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Nicholas and Max watching the day Paige returns home and rings the doorbell?
2. What is Nicholas referring to when he says the first time was for forgiving, the second for forgetting and the third for beginning again?
3. What is the lie that Nicholas realizes every surgeon lives?
4. How does Nicholas feel about Paige when she tells him that she was not a virgin when they met?
5. What day is it when Max has his surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nicholas become the acting chief of cardiac surgery?
2. How does Paige react when something seems off with Max in Chapter 40?
3. What does Nicholas and Paige making love three time represent?
4. What is May's reaction when Paige tells her she plans to return to her husband and son?
5. What does May eventually tell Paige is the reason she left her years before?
6. What ironic thing does Paige discover about the daycare Nicholas has had to provide for Max while she was away?
7. What does Nicholas do after finding Paige nearly unconscious on the sidewalk?
8. What is Paige thinking after she believes Max is dead?
9. What does Paige think about as she and Nicholas ride the elevator to go see Max in the hospital?
10. What does Nicholas think he sees during the surgery that Paige gets to observe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Paige gains strength and confidence throughout the novel to become the wife and mother she wants to be.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Paige feels about motherhood, as is shown through her feelings about her own pregnancy and memories of her mother.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the theme of individuality is shown throughout the novel.
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)