|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When they discuss being artists, what does Astrid tell Paige about May that surprises Paige?
2. Where did Nicholas go to college?
3. What is Nicholas' reaction when he sees Paige working at the hospital?
4. What does Nicholas do after Paige reaches for him and Max while they are standing at the front door?
5. What is the name of the horse that tosses May off when she breaks her ankle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Paige sees Max for the first time in three months?
2. When Nicholas discovers Max is ill, where does he take him?
3. What does Nicholas do after finding Paige nearly unconscious on the sidewalk?
4. Who talks Paige out of running away again and tells her she should stay and fight?
5. How does Paige react when she sees Max in the recovery room after his surgery?
6. Describe how Nicholas seems very conflicted as he interacts with Paige after returning home with Max to find her still in front of his house?
7. Why is Nicholas so frustrated when the doorbell rings the night Paige returns from being gone for three months?
8. Where does Paige go and what does she do after she sees Max with all the tubes still in him from surgery?
9. Where is Paige when she decides she needs to tell Nicholas the truth about her past?
10. What is Paige thinking after she believes Max is dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel openly talks about an abortion. What is Picoult trying to say about the after effects of an abortion on a woman through Paige's experience?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Paige's reaction to thinking Max is dead, is the culmination of everything Paige believes and everything that has happened to her since her childhood?
Essay Topic 3
The novel is divided into three parts: Conception, Growth, and Delivery. Discuss how this analogy of birth parallels the events and themes of the novel.
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)