|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Paige's mother splash around on a childhood outing when they are supposed to be at church?
2. Where did Nicholas tell a guest at the dinner party that he met Paige?
3. Where did Patrick meet May?
4. What is Paige doing while she sits in the front yard watching the family she abandoned through the windows of her house?
5. Where does Paige go in Chicago while she waits for her father to get home from work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nicholas handle his first attempts to care for Max on his own after Paige leaves?
2. What happened the morning Jake took Paige to get an abortion?
3. What happens the day Nicholas goes to his parents' house to tell them about Max?
4. What happens when Paige goes to the OB/GYN for her six week check-up?
5. How does Astrid react when Nicholas shows up on her doorstep one morning with Max?
6. What does the private detective hired by Paige discover about May's whereabouts?
7. How does Paige get a job at the diner, Mercy?
8. What happens at the only Lamaze class Nicholas attends for Paige's entire pregnancy?
9. How did May end up owning the show horse, Donegal?
10. What does Nicholas' boss tell him after the birth of his son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel is divided into three parts: Conception, Growth, and Delivery. Discuss how this analogy of birth parallels the events and themes of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
How does being forced to take care of Max slowly change Nicholas and his priorities?
Essay Topic 3
Does Paige need to find her mother in order to be a good mother? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,458 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)