|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where does Abby follow the doctor she saw coming out of Amity Medical Supplies?
2. What does Abby mean in Chapter 18 when she suggests someone is generating organ donors?
3. Where is the first place Yakov takes a finally well Aleksei in Chapter 14?
4. Who does Abby see talking in the garden outside Elaine's kitchen in Chapter 11?
5. Who calls Abby out of surgery in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Abby go to find answers on Kunstler and Hennessy? Who sees her there and chases her down for a discussion?
2. Who is the woman praying at Mary Allen's bedside in Chapter 11? What does she want Abby to do for Mary Allen?
3. Why does Abby begin to think she is being followed by a van in Chapter 15? What does she do about it?
4. Why does Abby suspect that Mark is in on the sale of human organs? What danger does Vivien suggest this poses for Abby?
5. What story does Abby tell Katzka and Lundquist in Chapter 18? Do they believe her?
6. Why does Helen Lewis from NEOB call Abby? What does she tell Abby?
7. Where does Yakov see Nadiya take Aleksei in Chapter 19? Where does Yakov think Aleksei is going?
8. What really happens behind the blue door in Chapter 19?
9. How does Mary Allen die? Who pronounces her death?
10. What do Abby and Vivien ask Dr. Ivan Tarasoff to do in order to help with their investigation into Nina Voss' heart donor in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Bernard Kaftka? What tragedy took place in his past? How did Kaftka react to that tragedy? What does Kaftka do for a living? How does he meet Abby? How do Abby and Kaftka find themselves thrown together? How does Kaftka nearly die in Abby's company? How does Kaftka rescue Abby in the end? What are Kaftka's feelings for Abby? Why does Kaftka not believe Abby when she insists she was not driving drunk the night of her accident? Does Kaftka come to believe her later? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Aaron Levi? How does Abby come to know him? How does the reader meet him? What kind of person is Aaron? Why is Aaron unhappy when he learns that Abby will be treating Nina Voss' post-op fever? Why does Aaron not show up at the hospital as his wife thought he would? What happens when everyone learns Aaron has died? What is the funeral like? What odd thing happens at the wake that causes Abby some concern? Where does Elaine Levi go later that causes Abby and a cop to wonder about Aaron's death? How did Aaron die? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the overall lesson and/or controversy of this novel. This novel discusses some very important moral questions about modern medicine. Discuss what these moral questions are and how they are addressed in this novel. Cite examples or offer quotes from the novel to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)