|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Wettig suggest Abby do before she seek employment elsewhere?
2. What does Elaine have too much of at her husband's wake?
3. Where is Yakov when Aleksei is led behind the blue door in Chapter 19?
4. Why does Victor Voss remove the wildflowers Nina Voss has been admiring in her sick room in Chapter 18?
5. What special day does Mark remind Abby of in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Abby and Vivien ask Dr. Ivan Tarasoff to do in order to help with their investigation into Nina Voss' heart donor in Chapter 16?
2. Why does Abby begin to think she is being followed by a van in Chapter 15? What does she do about it?
3. What happens to Yakov at the end of Chapter 19? What does this suggest about his chances of survival?
4. How does Abby gain access to medical records of heart transplant patients in Chapter 17? For what reason?
5. What complaints does Elaine's mother-in-law make about her method of grieving in Chapter 11?
6. What does Abby ask Nina Voss to do in Chapter 18? Does she agree?
7. What does Jeremiah Parr decide to do with the information given him by Abby in Chapter 12 regarding Nina Voss' heart transplant?
8. How does Mark react when Abby asks him about the deaths of Kunstler and Hennessy? Why?
9. Who are the passengers in the aft cabin as discussed in Chapter 14?
10. Why does Helen Lewis from NEOB call Abby? What does she tell Abby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abby is accused of medical malpractice several times in this novel. What is malpractice? What is someone claiming Abby did wrong? Why does Mary Allen's niece not want her aunt to get morphine? What is Abby overheard saying about administering morphine to Mary Allen? Why does Abby become angry and abusive toward the niece when she objects to the administration of morphine? Did Abby want to kill Mary Allen? What benefit would Abby get from killing Mary Allen? Why is Abby accused of this murder? What evidence is there? What is the end result of this evidence?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following relationships in detail:
1) Abby and Mark
2) Abby and Kaftka
3) Abby and Yakov
4) Abby and Vivien.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the decision of Vivien and Abby to take the heart meant for Nina Voss to save Josh O'Day's life. What do they do? For what reason? Who performs the surgery? What might have happened if they had not gotten Josh a heart that day? What eventually happens to Josh? What happens to Nina Voss? Who should have gotten the heart? Who has the right to decide who gets an organ? What type of system is there that deals with this sort of decision making? Why did it not work in this case?
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)