|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is waiting for Abby outside Mr. Parr's office in Chapter 17?
2. Why does Yakov tell Aleksei he no longer wants to be adopted by an American family in Chapter 14?
3. Who does Abby see coming out of Amity Medical Supplies in Chapter 20?
4. What is Shu-Shu?
5. What is Abby doing to fill her time now that she is suspended from duties in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Parr do to Abby in Chapter 13 after searching her locker? Why?
2. Why does Yakov dislike Nadiya?
3. Why is Abby's locker searched in Chapter 13? What is found?
4. Why does Abby suspect that Mark is in on the sale of human organs? What danger does Vivien suggest this poses for Abby?
5. For what reason does Abby lose her job completely at the end of Chapter 17?
6. What happens to Yakov at the end of Chapter 19? What does this suggest about his chances of survival?
7. Why does Helen Lewis from NEOB call Abby? What does she tell Abby?
8. What complaints does Elaine's mother-in-law make about her method of grieving in Chapter 11?
9. What do Abby and Vivien ask Dr. Ivan Tarasoff to do in order to help with their investigation into Nina Voss' heart donor in Chapter 16?
10. How does Mary Allen die? Who pronounces her death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abby is accused of medical malpractice several times in this novel. What is malpractice? What is someone claiming Abby did wrong? Why does Mary Allen's niece not want her aunt to get morphine? What is Abby overheard saying about administering morphine to Mary Allen? Why does Abby become angry and abusive toward the niece when she objects to the administration of morphine? Did Abby want to kill Mary Allen? What benefit would Abby get from killing Mary Allen? Why is Abby accused of this murder? What evidence is there? What is the end result of this evidence?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in detail citing examples from the book where relevant:
1) Point of View
2) Writing Style
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mark Hodell? How does Abby come to live with Mark? What is their relationship like? How does Abby feel about Mark in the beginning of the novel? How does their relationship change? For what reason? Why does Mark turn on Abby? What did Abby do to hurt Mark? Why is Mark working with the wrong people? What do they have on Mark that forces him to work with them? Is Mark happy with this criminal career? How does the reader know how Mark feels about his situation? What happens to Mark in the end? Is this something Mark deserved? Explain.
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)