|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary Allen's niece find among her mail when she returns home after Mary Allen's death in Chapter 12?
2. Who proves that the lock on Abby's locker could have been opened by a saboteur in Chapter 13?
3. What color is the van Abby continuously sees following her?
4. What procedure does Mary Allen question and nearly refuse to accept in Chapter 11?
5. Who calls Abby out of surgery in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jeremiah Parr decide to do with the information given him by Abby in Chapter 12 regarding Nina Voss' heart transplant?
2. What story does Abby tell Katzka and Lundquist in Chapter 18? Do they believe her?
3. How does Mark react when Abby asks him about the deaths of Kunstler and Hennessy? Why?
4. Who is the woman praying at Mary Allen's bedside in Chapter 11? What does she want Abby to do for Mary Allen?
5. What happens to Yakov at the end of Chapter 19? What does this suggest about his chances of survival?
6. What does Abby ask Nina Voss to do in Chapter 18? Does she agree?
7. How does Abby gain access to medical records of heart transplant patients in Chapter 17? For what reason?
8. For what reason does Abby lose her job completely at the end of Chapter 17?
9. Of whom does Yakov dream in Chapter 14? What does she look like?
10. Where does Abby go to find answers on Kunstler and Hennessy? Who sees her there and chases her down for a discussion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mark Hodell? How does Abby come to live with Mark? What is their relationship like? How does Abby feel about Mark in the beginning of the novel? How does their relationship change? For what reason? Why does Mark turn on Abby? What did Abby do to hurt Mark? Why is Mark working with the wrong people? What do they have on Mark that forces him to work with them? Is Mark happy with this criminal career? How does the reader know how Mark feels about his situation? What happens to Mark in the end? Is this something Mark deserved? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Nina Voss believes her husband loves her too much? What does that mean? Is it possible to love someone too much? How is Victor Voss making Nina unhappy as she heals from her first transplant surgery? How does Nina feel about this? How does Nina react when she learns her husband might have paid for her new heart? How does Nina feel about her marriage at the end of the novel? How does Nina feel about her impending death? What does this say about Nina's character? How does Nina's character and convictions compare to Victor's?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following themes in detail:
3) Fatal Illnesses
4) Medical Malpractice.
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)