|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elaine have too much of at her husband's wake?
2. What important paperwork in regards to Nina Voss' transplant are missing in Chapter 12?
3. What does Mary Allen's niece accuse Abby of when she arrives at the hospital after her aunt's death in Chapter 12?
4. Who calls Abby out of surgery in Chapter 13?
5. Why does Mark say he wants to buy a yacht in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Abby begin to think she is being followed by a van in Chapter 15? What does she do about it?
2. Where does Yakov see Nadiya take Aleksei in Chapter 19? Where does Yakov think Aleksei is going?
3. Why does Abby call Katzka to her house in Chapter 20? Who calls while he is there?
4. Of whom does Yakov dream in Chapter 14? What does she look like?
5. For what reason does Abby lose her job completely at the end of Chapter 17?
6. What does Mr. Parr do to Abby in Chapter 13 after searching her locker? Why?
7. Why does Abby suspect that Mark is in on the sale of human organs? What danger does Vivien suggest this poses for Abby?
8. Who are the passengers in the aft cabin as discussed in Chapter 14?
9. What do Abby and Vivien ask Dr. Ivan Tarasoff to do in order to help with their investigation into Nina Voss' heart donor in Chapter 16?
10. What really happens behind the blue door in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Yakov? What is his life like before he is bought by Nadiya and Gregor? Why is Yakov difficult to control? What does Yakov want out of life? Is it possible he will ever find it? What does Yakov dream of while on board the freighter? How does the engine room technician ruin this dream? What does Yakov think of Abby? Who does he think she is? Why does he fight to save her life? Does he succeed? Why does Yakov refuse to leave Abby's side? What does the reader think will be in the future for Yakov and Abby?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the team values of the transplant team at Bayside. What does the transplant team expect of their team members? What do they tell Abby about their expectations where she is concerned? Is there anything unusual about these expectations? How do these expectations become more sinister as the plot continues to develop? What do these expectations have to do with Aaron Levi's death? With the money his wife found in a secret bank account? With his wife's disappearance? With the deaths of two other doctors?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel in detail, including discussion about each of the following:
1) Bayside Hospital
2) Massachusetts General Hospital
4) The freight ship.
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)