|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Yakov tell Aleksei he no longer wants to be adopted by an American family in Chapter 14?
2. What important paperwork in regards to Nina Voss' transplant are missing in Chapter 12?
3. What color is the van Abby continuously sees following her?
4. What is succinylcholine?
5. What surprises Abby about what she finds in the Levi home in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Yakov see Nadiya take Aleksei in Chapter 19? Where does Yakov think Aleksei is going?
2. Why does Abby call Katzka to her house in Chapter 20? Who calls while he is there?
3. Who is the woman praying at Mary Allen's bedside in Chapter 11? What does she want Abby to do for Mary Allen?
4. What do Abby and Vivien ask Dr. Ivan Tarasoff to do in order to help with their investigation into Nina Voss' heart donor in Chapter 16?
5. Who are the passengers in the aft cabin as discussed in Chapter 14?
6. For what reason does Abby lose her job completely at the end of Chapter 17?
7. What does Jeremiah Parr decide to do with the information given him by Abby in Chapter 12 regarding Nina Voss' heart transplant?
8. How does Abby react when Detective Bernard Katzka comes to speak to her about Mary Allen? Why?
9. What does Abby ask Nina Voss to do in Chapter 18? Does she agree?
10. Where does Abby go to find answers on Kunstler and Hennessy? Who sees her there and chases her down for a discussion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abby is accused of medical malpractice several times in this novel. What is malpractice? What is someone claiming Abby did wrong? Why does Mary Allen's niece not want her aunt to get morphine? What is Abby overheard saying about administering morphine to Mary Allen? Why does Abby become angry and abusive toward the niece when she objects to the administration of morphine? Did Abby want to kill Mary Allen? What benefit would Abby get from killing Mary Allen? Why is Abby accused of this murder? What evidence is there? What is the end result of this evidence?
Essay Topic 2
Nina Voss believes her husband loves her too much? What does that mean? Is it possible to love someone too much? How is Victor Voss making Nina unhappy as she heals from her first transplant surgery? How does Nina feel about this? How does Nina react when she learns her husband might have paid for her new heart? How does Nina feel about her marriage at the end of the novel? How does Nina feel about her impending death? What does this say about Nina's character? How does Nina's character and convictions compare to Victor's?
Essay Topic 3
Abby is taken into Bayside after an accident and she becomes convinced that she could be murdered. Discus this. Who might murder Abby? For what reason? Who does Abby fear? For what reason? What lab tests tell the police that Abby was drunk at the time of the crash? Was she? How could this lab test be manipulated? In how much danger is a patient really in the hospital? Are all patients in danger in a hospital? Is it possible for a doctor to make a mistake that could wrongly injure a patient? What happens in these situations?
This section contains 1,243 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)