|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Abby embarrass the security guards in Chapter 13?
2. What does Dr. Wettig suggest Abby do before she seek employment elsewhere?
3. Who does Abby see talking in the garden outside Elaine's kitchen in Chapter 11?
4. In Chapter 16, what do Abby and Vivien tell Dr. Tarasoff they think the Bayside transplant team is doing?
5. Why is Detective Lundquist interviewing Abby in the beginning of Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What complaints does Elaine's mother-in-law make about her method of grieving in Chapter 11?
2. What happens to Yakov at the end of Chapter 19? What does this suggest about his chances of survival?
3. How does Mark react when Abby asks him about the deaths of Kunstler and Hennessy? Why?
4. What story does Abby tell Katzka and Lundquist in Chapter 18? Do they believe her?
5. Who is the woman praying at Mary Allen's bedside in Chapter 11? What does she want Abby to do for Mary Allen?
6. Where does Abby go to find answers on Kunstler and Hennessy? Who sees her there and chases her down for a discussion?
7. Who are the passengers in the aft cabin as discussed in Chapter 14?
8. What does Jeremiah Parr decide to do with the information given him by Abby in Chapter 12 regarding Nina Voss' heart transplant?
9. For what reason does Abby lose her job completely at the end of Chapter 17?
10. How does Abby gain access to medical records of heart transplant patients in Chapter 17? For what reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following relationships in detail:
1) Abby and Mark
2) Abby and Kaftka
3) Abby and Yakov
4) Abby and Vivien.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the overall lesson and/or controversy of this novel. This novel discusses some very important moral questions about modern medicine. Discuss what these moral questions are and how they are addressed in this novel. Cite examples or offer quotes from the novel to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Aaron Levi? How does Abby come to know him? How does the reader meet him? What kind of person is Aaron? Why is Aaron unhappy when he learns that Abby will be treating Nina Voss' post-op fever? Why does Aaron not show up at the hospital as his wife thought he would? What happens when everyone learns Aaron has died? What is the funeral like? What odd thing happens at the wake that causes Abby some concern? Where does Elaine Levi go later that causes Abby and a cop to wonder about Aaron's death? How did Aaron die? Why?
This section contains 1,232 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)