|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Abby embarrass the security guards in Chapter 13?
2. Who does Elaine think people blame for Aaron's death?
3. What does Abby say is the worst time of the day in Chapter 20?
4. Why does Yakov tell Aleksei he no longer wants to be adopted by an American family in Chapter 14?
5. What does Dr. Wettig suggest Abby do before she seek employment elsewhere?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Yakov dislike Nadiya?
2. What does Mr. Parr do to Abby in Chapter 13 after searching her locker? Why?
3. What really happens behind the blue door in Chapter 19?
4. For what reason does Abby lose her job completely at the end of Chapter 17?
5. What does Abby ask Nina Voss to do in Chapter 18? Does she agree?
6. Why does Abby suspect that Mark is in on the sale of human organs? What danger does Vivien suggest this poses for Abby?
7. Why does Abby call Katzka to her house in Chapter 20? Who calls while he is there?
8. Where does Yakov see Nadiya take Aleksei in Chapter 19? Where does Yakov think Aleksei is going?
9. Why is Abby's locker searched in Chapter 13? What is found?
10. What happens to Yakov at the end of Chapter 19? What does this suggest about his chances of survival?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Aaron Levi? How does Abby come to know him? How does the reader meet him? What kind of person is Aaron? Why is Aaron unhappy when he learns that Abby will be treating Nina Voss' post-op fever? Why does Aaron not show up at the hospital as his wife thought he would? What happens when everyone learns Aaron has died? What is the funeral like? What odd thing happens at the wake that causes Abby some concern? Where does Elaine Levi go later that causes Abby and a cop to wonder about Aaron's death? How did Aaron die? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the overall lesson and/or controversy of this novel. This novel discusses some very important moral questions about modern medicine. Discuss what these moral questions are and how they are addressed in this novel. Cite examples or offer quotes from the novel to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Nina Voss believes her husband loves her too much? What does that mean? Is it possible to love someone too much? How is Victor Voss making Nina unhappy as she heals from her first transplant surgery? How does Nina feel about this? How does Nina react when she learns her husband might have paid for her new heart? How does Nina feel about her marriage at the end of the novel? How does Nina feel about her impending death? What does this say about Nina's character? How does Nina's character and convictions compare to Victor's?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)