|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Elaine think people blame for Aaron's death?
2. Why does Victor Voss remove the wildflowers Nina Voss has been admiring in her sick room in Chapter 18?
3. What habit does Elaine say Aaron got into in the final years of his life as a member of the transplant team at Bayside?
4. In Chapter 16, what does Abby find among Mark's files in their home?
5. What important question does Mark ask Abby in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jeremiah Parr decide to do with the information given him by Abby in Chapter 12 regarding Nina Voss' heart transplant?
2. Who is the woman praying at Mary Allen's bedside in Chapter 11? What does she want Abby to do for Mary Allen?
3. Where does Yakov see Nadiya take Aleksei in Chapter 19? Where does Yakov think Aleksei is going?
4. Why does Yakov dislike Nadiya?
5. What does Mr. Parr do to Abby in Chapter 13 after searching her locker? Why?
6. Why does Abby begin to think she is being followed by a van in Chapter 15? What does she do about it?
7. How does Mary Allen die? Who pronounces her death?
8. Where does Abby go to find answers on Kunstler and Hennessy? Who sees her there and chases her down for a discussion?
9. Who are the passengers in the aft cabin as discussed in Chapter 14?
10. For what reason does Abby lose her job completely at the end of Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the decision of Vivien and Abby to take the heart meant for Nina Voss to save Josh O'Day's life. What do they do? For what reason? Who performs the surgery? What might have happened if they had not gotten Josh a heart that day? What eventually happens to Josh? What happens to Nina Voss? Who should have gotten the heart? Who has the right to decide who gets an organ? What type of system is there that deals with this sort of decision making? Why did it not work in this case?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel in detail, including discussion about each of the following:
1) Bayside Hospital
2) Massachusetts General Hospital
4) The freight ship.
Essay Topic 3
Nina Voss believes her husband loves her too much? What does that mean? Is it possible to love someone too much? How is Victor Voss making Nina unhappy as she heals from her first transplant surgery? How does Nina feel about this? How does Nina react when she learns her husband might have paid for her new heart? How does Nina feel about her marriage at the end of the novel? How does Nina feel about her impending death? What does this say about Nina's character? How does Nina's character and convictions compare to Victor's?
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)