|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the cook irritated when Yakov and Aleksei visit him in Chapter 14?
2. What is Abby doing to fill her time now that she is suspended from duties in the hospital?
3. What does Abby mean in Chapter 18 when she suggests someone is generating organ donors?
4. Why does Katzka refuse to allow Abby to follow him into Amity Medical Supplies in Chapter 20?
5. What does Dr. Wettig suggest Abby do before she seek employment elsewhere?
Short Essay Questions
1. What complaints does Elaine's mother-in-law make about her method of grieving in Chapter 11?
2. How does Mary Allen die? Who pronounces her death?
3. What does Jeremiah Parr decide to do with the information given him by Abby in Chapter 12 regarding Nina Voss' heart transplant?
4. For what reason does Abby lose her job completely at the end of Chapter 17?
5. What does Abby ask Nina Voss to do in Chapter 18? Does she agree?
6. Who are the passengers in the aft cabin as discussed in Chapter 14?
7. What does Mr. Parr do to Abby in Chapter 13 after searching her locker? Why?
8. Where does Abby go to find answers on Kunstler and Hennessy? Who sees her there and chases her down for a discussion?
9. What really happens behind the blue door in Chapter 19?
10. Why does Abby begin to think she is being followed by a van in Chapter 15? What does she do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the actions of Tarasoff in this novel. Why does Abby turn to Ivan Tarasoff when she escapes Bayside? What does Tarasoff tell Abby to make her feel safe in his care? What does Tarasoff do to Abby? How does Tarasoff explain his actions? What is Tarasoff's motivation? Why did the author hide Tarasoff's part in the organ selling business? What about Tarasoff should have tipped the reader off to his actions? Did it? What will happen to Tarasoff in the end?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the overall lesson and/or controversy of this novel. This novel discusses some very important moral questions about modern medicine. Discuss what these moral questions are and how they are addressed in this novel. Cite examples or offer quotes from the novel to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Abby is taken into Bayside after an accident and she becomes convinced that she could be murdered. Discus this. Who might murder Abby? For what reason? Who does Abby fear? For what reason? What lab tests tell the police that Abby was drunk at the time of the crash? Was she? How could this lab test be manipulated? In how much danger is a patient really in the hospital? Are all patients in danger in a hospital? Is it possible for a doctor to make a mistake that could wrongly injure a patient? What happens in these situations?
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)