|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What important paperwork in regards to Nina Voss' transplant are missing in Chapter 12?
2. Where is the first place Yakov takes a finally well Aleksei in Chapter 14?
3. Who is waiting for Abby outside Mr. Parr's office in Chapter 17?
4. Why is Detective Lundquist interviewing Abby in the beginning of Chapter 18?
5. With whom does Abby get into a confrontation over a patient's care in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of whom does Yakov dream in Chapter 14? What does she look like?
2. How does Mary Allen die? Who pronounces her death?
3. What complaints does Elaine's mother-in-law make about her method of grieving in Chapter 11?
4. Who are the passengers in the aft cabin as discussed in Chapter 14?
5. Where does Abby go to find answers on Kunstler and Hennessy? Who sees her there and chases her down for a discussion?
6. What happens to Yakov at the end of Chapter 19? What does this suggest about his chances of survival?
7. What story does Abby tell Katzka and Lundquist in Chapter 18? Do they believe her?
8. How does Abby gain access to medical records of heart transplant patients in Chapter 17? For what reason?
9. Where does Yakov see Nadiya take Aleksei in Chapter 19? Where does Yakov think Aleksei is going?
10. Why does Abby begin to think she is being followed by a van in Chapter 15? What does she do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abby is accused of medical malpractice several times in this novel. What is malpractice? What is someone claiming Abby did wrong? Why does Mary Allen's niece not want her aunt to get morphine? What is Abby overheard saying about administering morphine to Mary Allen? Why does Abby become angry and abusive toward the niece when she objects to the administration of morphine? Did Abby want to kill Mary Allen? What benefit would Abby get from killing Mary Allen? Why is Abby accused of this murder? What evidence is there? What is the end result of this evidence?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the overall lesson and/or controversy of this novel. This novel discusses some very important moral questions about modern medicine. Discuss what these moral questions are and how they are addressed in this novel. Cite examples or offer quotes from the novel to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following themes in detail:
3) Fatal Illnesses
4) Medical Malpractice.
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)