|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mark say he wants to buy a yacht in Chapter 16?
2. What habit does Elaine say Aaron got into in the final years of his life as a member of the transplant team at Bayside?
3. What is Shu-Shu?
4. Who does Abby learn has also committed suicide at Bayside?
5. What does Vivien ask Abby to do in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Abby's locker searched in Chapter 13? What is found?
2. Why does Abby begin to think she is being followed by a van in Chapter 15? What does she do about it?
3. Where does Abby go to find answers on Kunstler and Hennessy? Who sees her there and chases her down for a discussion?
4. Why does Helen Lewis from NEOB call Abby? What does she tell Abby?
5. How does Abby react when Detective Bernard Katzka comes to speak to her about Mary Allen? Why?
6. What does Jeremiah Parr decide to do with the information given him by Abby in Chapter 12 regarding Nina Voss' heart transplant?
7. How does Mary Allen die? Who pronounces her death?
8. What do Abby and Vivien ask Dr. Ivan Tarasoff to do in order to help with their investigation into Nina Voss' heart donor in Chapter 16?
9. How does Abby gain access to medical records of heart transplant patients in Chapter 17? For what reason?
10. Why does Yakov dislike Nadiya?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the overall lesson and/or controversy of this novel. This novel discusses some very important moral questions about modern medicine. Discuss what these moral questions are and how they are addressed in this novel. Cite examples or offer quotes from the novel to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Abby DiMatteo? What is her job? At what point is she in her training? What does Abby's future look like as the novel begins? Why do things turn in a different direction? Why does Abby work with Vivien Chao to get a heart for Josh O'Day? Is what they have done wrong? What might someone else have done in the same situation? Who should have gotten the heart? Why does the pattern of harassment begin after this takes place? Who is doing it? For what reason?
Essay Topic 3
Nina Voss believes her husband loves her too much? What does that mean? Is it possible to love someone too much? How is Victor Voss making Nina unhappy as she heals from her first transplant surgery? How does Nina feel about this? How does Nina react when she learns her husband might have paid for her new heart? How does Nina feel about her marriage at the end of the novel? How does Nina feel about her impending death? What does this say about Nina's character? How does Nina's character and convictions compare to Victor's?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)