|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where does Abby follow the doctor she saw coming out of Amity Medical Supplies?
2. Who is waiting for Abby outside Mr. Parr's office in Chapter 17?
3. What is Amity Medical Supply?
4. Who does Katzka talk to about these accusations in Chapter 15?
5. Why is the cook irritated when Yakov and Aleksei visit him in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What complaints does Elaine's mother-in-law make about her method of grieving in Chapter 11?
2. How does Mary Allen die? Who pronounces her death?
3. What does Mr. Parr do to Abby in Chapter 13 after searching her locker? Why?
4. What do Abby and Vivien ask Dr. Ivan Tarasoff to do in order to help with their investigation into Nina Voss' heart donor in Chapter 16?
5. Where does Abby go to find answers on Kunstler and Hennessy? Who sees her there and chases her down for a discussion?
6. Of whom does Yakov dream in Chapter 14? What does she look like?
7. Why is Abby's locker searched in Chapter 13? What is found?
8. What really happens behind the blue door in Chapter 19?
9. What story does Abby tell Katzka and Lundquist in Chapter 18? Do they believe her?
10. What does Abby ask Nina Voss to do in Chapter 18? Does she agree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why are children routinely taken off the freight ship? Where are they going? What does the helicopter come for? What is behind the locked blue door? Why does Yakov want to go behind the blue door? How come Yakov panics when it is his turn to go behind the blue door? What happens to Aleksei when he goes behind the blue door? Why do the other children think the boys are disappearing? Why does no one question the activities taking place on the freight ship?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Bernard Kaftka? What tragedy took place in his past? How did Kaftka react to that tragedy? What does Kaftka do for a living? How does he meet Abby? How do Abby and Kaftka find themselves thrown together? How does Kaftka nearly die in Abby's company? How does Kaftka rescue Abby in the end? What are Kaftka's feelings for Abby? Why does Kaftka not believe Abby when she insists she was not driving drunk the night of her accident? Does Kaftka come to believe her later? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the decision of Vivien and Abby to take the heart meant for Nina Voss to save Josh O'Day's life. What do they do? For what reason? Who performs the surgery? What might have happened if they had not gotten Josh a heart that day? What eventually happens to Josh? What happens to Nina Voss? Who should have gotten the heart? Who has the right to decide who gets an organ? What type of system is there that deals with this sort of decision making? Why did it not work in this case?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)