|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Amity Medical Supply?
2. Who wakes Aleksei in the middle of the night in Chapter 19?
3. What does an article in the newspaper claims caused Abby to kill Mary Allen in Chapter 20?
4. What does Mary Allen's niece accuse Abby of when she arrives at the hospital after her aunt's death in Chapter 12?
5. What is UNOS?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Abby go to find answers on Kunstler and Hennessy? Who sees her there and chases her down for a discussion?
2. Of whom does Yakov dream in Chapter 14? What does she look like?
3. What does Mr. Parr do to Abby in Chapter 13 after searching her locker? Why?
4. Why does Abby call Katzka to her house in Chapter 20? Who calls while he is there?
5. How does Mary Allen die? Who pronounces her death?
6. Why does Abby begin to think she is being followed by a van in Chapter 15? What does she do about it?
7. What does Jeremiah Parr decide to do with the information given him by Abby in Chapter 12 regarding Nina Voss' heart transplant?
8. For what reason does Abby lose her job completely at the end of Chapter 17?
9. Why is Abby's locker searched in Chapter 13? What is found?
10. What complaints does Elaine's mother-in-law make about her method of grieving in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the overall lesson and/or controversy of this novel. This novel discusses some very important moral questions about modern medicine. Discuss what these moral questions are and how they are addressed in this novel. Cite examples or offer quotes from the novel to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Abby is taken into Bayside after an accident and she becomes convinced that she could be murdered. Discus this. Who might murder Abby? For what reason? Who does Abby fear? For what reason? What lab tests tell the police that Abby was drunk at the time of the crash? Was she? How could this lab test be manipulated? In how much danger is a patient really in the hospital? Are all patients in danger in a hospital? Is it possible for a doctor to make a mistake that could wrongly injure a patient? What happens in these situations?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Yakov? What is his life like before he is bought by Nadiya and Gregor? Why is Yakov difficult to control? What does Yakov want out of life? Is it possible he will ever find it? What does Yakov dream of while on board the freighter? How does the engine room technician ruin this dream? What does Yakov think of Abby? Who does he think she is? Why does he fight to save her life? Does he succeed? Why does Yakov refuse to leave Abby's side? What does the reader think will be in the future for Yakov and Abby?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)