|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Yakov at the end of Chapter 19 when he is caught by Gregor?
2. What does Nina Voss find on the back of the card that came with her wildflowers in Chapter 18?
3. How does Abby get into the Levi house in Chapter 16?
4. Who proves that the lock on Abby's locker could have been opened by a saboteur in Chapter 13?
5. What lands on the boat that fascinates Yakov and frightens Aleksei in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Abby call Katzka to her house in Chapter 20? Who calls while he is there?
2. Why does Helen Lewis from NEOB call Abby? What does she tell Abby?
3. Why is Abby's locker searched in Chapter 13? What is found?
4. How does Mark react when Abby asks him about the deaths of Kunstler and Hennessy? Why?
5. Why does Yakov dislike Nadiya?
6. Of whom does Yakov dream in Chapter 14? What does she look like?
7. Who are the passengers in the aft cabin as discussed in Chapter 14?
8. What does Mr. Parr do to Abby in Chapter 13 after searching her locker? Why?
9. Why does Abby begin to think she is being followed by a van in Chapter 15? What does she do about it?
10. What does Abby ask Nina Voss to do in Chapter 18? Does she agree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abby is accused of medical malpractice several times in this novel. What is malpractice? What is someone claiming Abby did wrong? Why does Mary Allen's niece not want her aunt to get morphine? What is Abby overheard saying about administering morphine to Mary Allen? Why does Abby become angry and abusive toward the niece when she objects to the administration of morphine? Did Abby want to kill Mary Allen? What benefit would Abby get from killing Mary Allen? Why is Abby accused of this murder? What evidence is there? What is the end result of this evidence?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Victor Voss? Why does he attempt to buy a heart for his wife? How does his wife feel about this when she finds out? Why is Voss upset at Abby after a donor heart is given to Josh O'Day? What does Voss attempt to do to Abby in revenge? How does this impact her career? What does Abby learn about Voss that she wishes she could use against him? Why does she not use it against him? What ultimately happens to Voss' wife? For what reason?
Essay Topic 3
Nina Voss believes her husband loves her too much? What does that mean? Is it possible to love someone too much? How is Victor Voss making Nina unhappy as she heals from her first transplant surgery? How does Nina feel about this? How does Nina react when she learns her husband might have paid for her new heart? How does Nina feel about her marriage at the end of the novel? How does Nina feel about her impending death? What does this say about Nina's character? How does Nina's character and convictions compare to Victor's?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)