|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jeremiah Parr?
2. What does Vivien tell Abby when she suggests she take some of the blame for the Josh O'Day drama?
3. What is Yakov's favorite place on ship as described in Chapter 7?
4. Who arrives late at Dr. Archer's for the party in Chapter 3?
5. In Chapter 8, who does Abby see in her dreams?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Abby visit Nina Voss in Chapter 8? How does Nina Voss react to this visit?
2. Why is there such an abrupt end to Mark and Abby's sailing trip in Chapter 10?
3. Why is Abby called to Jeremiah Parr's office in Chapter 6? What does this mean for Abby's career?
4. Why does Abby try so hard to impress Dr. Wettig while presenting her patient?
5. What does Dr. Chao decide to do to make sure that Josh O'Day receives a heart?
6. To what inner sanctum does Dr. Bill Archer invite Abby? For what reason?
7. Why does Abby call Wilcox Memorial Hospital in Vermont about Nina Voss' donor in Chapter 8?
8. What does Victor Voss do when he finds Abby in his wife's room in Chapter 9? What does Mark suggest Abby do about it?
9. What does Abby say about the morphine she orders for Mary Allen in Chapter 6?
10. Who is chosen to take the heart to Mass Gen in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the actions of Tarasoff in this novel. Why does Abby turn to Ivan Tarasoff when she escapes Bayside? What does Tarasoff tell Abby to make her feel safe in his care? What does Tarasoff do to Abby? How does Tarasoff explain his actions? What is Tarasoff's motivation? Why did the author hide Tarasoff's part in the organ selling business? What about Tarasoff should have tipped the reader off to his actions? Did it? What will happen to Tarasoff in the end?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Yakov? What is his life like before he is bought by Nadiya and Gregor? Why is Yakov difficult to control? What does Yakov want out of life? Is it possible he will ever find it? What does Yakov dream of while on board the freighter? How does the engine room technician ruin this dream? What does Yakov think of Abby? Who does he think she is? Why does he fight to save her life? Does he succeed? Why does Yakov refuse to leave Abby's side? What does the reader think will be in the future for Yakov and Abby?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the overall lesson and/or controversy of this novel. This novel discusses some very important moral questions about modern medicine. Discuss what these moral questions are and how they are addressed in this novel. Cite examples or offer quotes from the novel to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)