|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mark racing on his sailboat in Chapter 10?
2. Where does Abby suggest the post-op fever is coming from in her patient in Chapter 9?
3. Where did Nina Voss meet her husband Victor as discussed in Chapter 3?
4. What is the name of the sailboat Mark is racing in Chapter 10?
5. Who is Leonard Mapes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gregor do to Uncle Misha after the boys leave the apartment?
2. What does Vivien do in response to Abby's question in Chapter 10 was it all worth it?
3. What does Abby say about the morphine she orders for Mary Allen in Chapter 6?
4. To what inner sanctum does Dr. Bill Archer invite Abby? For what reason?
5. What does Victor Voss do when he finds Abby in his wife's room in Chapter 9? What does Mark suggest Abby do about it?
6. Why does Abby try so hard to impress Dr. Wettig while presenting her patient?
7. Why is there such an abrupt end to Mark and Abby's sailing trip in Chapter 10?
8. Why does Abby call Wilcox Memorial Hospital in Vermont about Nina Voss' donor in Chapter 8?
9. What does Abby learn in Chapter 5 will be the consequences of what she and Vivien have done?
10. What goes wrong when Dr. Chao begins plans to transplant Karen Terrio's heart into Josh O'Day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following themes in detail:
3) Fatal Illnesses
4) Medical Malpractice.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mark Hodell? How does Abby come to live with Mark? What is their relationship like? How does Abby feel about Mark in the beginning of the novel? How does their relationship change? For what reason? Why does Mark turn on Abby? What did Abby do to hurt Mark? Why is Mark working with the wrong people? What do they have on Mark that forces him to work with them? Is Mark happy with this criminal career? How does the reader know how Mark feels about his situation? What happens to Mark in the end? Is this something Mark deserved? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Victor Voss? Why does he attempt to buy a heart for his wife? How does his wife feel about this when she finds out? Why is Voss upset at Abby after a donor heart is given to Josh O'Day? What does Voss attempt to do to Abby in revenge? How does this impact her career? What does Abby learn about Voss that she wishes she could use against him? Why does she not use it against him? What ultimately happens to Voss' wife? For what reason?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)