|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does SICU stand for?
2. How much does Gregor offer to Uncle Misha in order to buy the boys from him?
3. Who is Mark racing on his sailboat in Chapter 10?
4. Whose body do Mark and Abby learn was found in the end of Chapter 10?
5. What does Abby find in her car when she leaves the hospital in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Victor Voss do when he finds Abby in his wife's room in Chapter 9? What does Mark suggest Abby do about it?
2. Where do Abby and Katzka hide for hours from the bad guys in Chapter 21? Why?
3. What makes Yakov think the men on board his freighter ship are doing something illegal?
4. Why does Yakov dislike Nadiya?
5. Why is Mary Allen in the SICU? What is her prognosis?
6. Who operates on Abby on the freighter ship in Chapter 25? What reason has he joined this organ scheme and continued to work with them?
7. Where does Abby go to find answers on Kunstler and Hennessy? Who sees her there and chases her down for a discussion?
8. How does Nina Voss feel about her impending death? How does this compare to the feelings of her husband?
9. Why does Abby call Wilcox Memorial Hospital in Vermont about Nina Voss' donor in Chapter 8?
10. What does Abby learn in Chapter 5 will be the consequences of what she and Vivien have done?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abby is accused of medical malpractice several times in this novel. What is malpractice? What is someone claiming Abby did wrong? Why does Mary Allen's niece not want her aunt to get morphine? What is Abby overheard saying about administering morphine to Mary Allen? Why does Abby become angry and abusive toward the niece when she objects to the administration of morphine? Did Abby want to kill Mary Allen? What benefit would Abby get from killing Mary Allen? Why is Abby accused of this murder? What evidence is there? What is the end result of this evidence?
Essay Topic 2
Abby is taken into Bayside after an accident and she becomes convinced that she could be murdered. Discus this. Who might murder Abby? For what reason? Who does Abby fear? For what reason? What lab tests tell the police that Abby was drunk at the time of the crash? Was she? How could this lab test be manipulated? In how much danger is a patient really in the hospital? Are all patients in danger in a hospital? Is it possible for a doctor to make a mistake that could wrongly injure a patient? What happens in these situations?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mark Hodell? How does Abby come to live with Mark? What is their relationship like? How does Abby feel about Mark in the beginning of the novel? How does their relationship change? For what reason? Why does Mark turn on Abby? What did Abby do to hurt Mark? Why is Mark working with the wrong people? What do they have on Mark that forces him to work with them? Is Mark happy with this criminal career? How does the reader know how Mark feels about his situation? What happens to Mark in the end? Is this something Mark deserved? Explain.
This section contains 2,541 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)