|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Abby feel about riding on Mark's sailboat in Chapter 10?
2. Who does Mark suggest Vivien visit after her confrontation with Parr in Chapter 5?
3. Why does Aleksei go back into Uncle Misha's flat after Nadiya leads the boys outside?
4. Why does Karen decide not to pull over and sleep despite her exhaustion?
5. What topic does Abby suggest all doctors are afraid to discuss, as stated in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What doctor becomes interested in Karen Terrio's organs? For what reason?
2. What does Abby learn in Chapter 5 will be the consequences of what she and Vivien have done?
3. Who is chosen to take the heart to Mass Gen in Chapter 4?
4. What causes the accident that leads to Karen Terrio's brain injury?
5. What does Victor Voss do when he finds Abby in his wife's room in Chapter 9? What does Mark suggest Abby do about it?
6. Why does the transplant team invite Abby to join them on a heart transplant in chapter 6? What is the reason Abby might have refused?
7. Why does Abby try so hard to impress Dr. Wettig while presenting her patient?
8. Why is Mary Allen in the SICU? What is her prognosis?
9. What does Dr. Chao decide to do to make sure that Josh O'Day receives a heart?
10. Who attempts to stop the delivery of Karen Terrio's heart to Mass Gen in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following themes in detail:
3) Fatal Illnesses
4) Medical Malpractice.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the actions of Tarasoff in this novel. Why does Abby turn to Ivan Tarasoff when she escapes Bayside? What does Tarasoff tell Abby to make her feel safe in his care? What does Tarasoff do to Abby? How does Tarasoff explain his actions? What is Tarasoff's motivation? Why did the author hide Tarasoff's part in the organ selling business? What about Tarasoff should have tipped the reader off to his actions? Did it? What will happen to Tarasoff in the end?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Abby DiMatteo? What is her job? At what point is she in her training? What does Abby's future look like as the novel begins? Why do things turn in a different direction? Why does Abby work with Vivien Chao to get a heart for Josh O'Day? Is what they have done wrong? What might someone else have done in the same situation? Who should have gotten the heart? Why does the pattern of harassment begin after this takes place? Who is doing it? For what reason?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)