|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mark Hodell?
2. In Chapter 7, how many times does the engineer tell Yakov he has been to America?
3. Who does Mark suggest Vivien visit after her confrontation with Parr in Chapter 5?
4. Where is Yakov from?
5. Who convinces Joe Terrio at the end of Chapter 5 that mistakes were done in his wife's care at Bayside?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the accident that leads to Karen Terrio's brain injury?
2. What does Jeremiah Parr decide to do with the information given him by Abby in Chapter 12 regarding Nina Voss' heart transplant?
3. Of whom does Yakov dream in Chapter 14? What does she look like?
4. Who are the passengers in the aft cabin as discussed in Chapter 14?
5. Why does Yakov dislike Nadiya?
6. Who does Abby find herself trapped with in chapter 25? What does Dr. Tarasoff and Gregor want to take from Abby and this other person?
7. What does Gregor do to Uncle Misha after the boys leave the apartment?
8. What does Vivien do in response to Abby's question in Chapter 10 was it all worth it?
9. How does Abby gain access to medical records of heart transplant patients in Chapter 17? For what reason?
10. Why did Dr. Wettig order a new blood alcohol test on Abby in Chapter 23? What do the results show in chapter 24?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Bernard Kaftka? What tragedy took place in his past? How did Kaftka react to that tragedy? What does Kaftka do for a living? How does he meet Abby? How do Abby and Kaftka find themselves thrown together? How does Kaftka nearly die in Abby's company? How does Kaftka rescue Abby in the end? What are Kaftka's feelings for Abby? Why does Kaftka not believe Abby when she insists she was not driving drunk the night of her accident? Does Kaftka come to believe her later? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Aaron Levi? How does Abby come to know him? How does the reader meet him? What kind of person is Aaron? Why is Aaron unhappy when he learns that Abby will be treating Nina Voss' post-op fever? Why does Aaron not show up at the hospital as his wife thought he would? What happens when everyone learns Aaron has died? What is the funeral like? What odd thing happens at the wake that causes Abby some concern? Where does Elaine Levi go later that causes Abby and a cop to wonder about Aaron's death? How did Aaron die? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the overall lesson and/or controversy of this novel. This novel discusses some very important moral questions about modern medicine. Discuss what these moral questions are and how they are addressed in this novel. Cite examples or offer quotes from the novel to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)