|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mark Hodell?
2. What topic does Abby suggest all doctors are afraid to discuss, as stated in Chapter 4?
3. What does Dr. Abby DiMatteo believes is causing Karen Terrio's unresponsiveness?
4. Why does Aleksei go back into Uncle Misha's flat after Nadiya leads the boys outside?
5. Who is Leonard Mapes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Abby visit Nina Voss in Chapter 8? How does Nina Voss react to this visit?
2. What goes wrong when Dr. Chao begins plans to transplant Karen Terrio's heart into Josh O'Day?
3. What does Victor Voss do when he finds Abby in his wife's room in Chapter 9? What does Mark suggest Abby do about it?
4. Who is chosen to take the heart to Mass Gen in Chapter 4?
5. What does Yakov do for a living before being taken to America by Nadiya and Gregor? For what reason?
6. What does Abby say about the morphine she orders for Mary Allen in Chapter 6?
7. What does Gregor do to Uncle Misha after the boys leave the apartment?
8. Why is Mary Allen in the SICU? What is her prognosis?
9. How does Nina Voss feel about her impending death? How does this compare to the feelings of her husband?
10. To what inner sanctum does Dr. Bill Archer invite Abby? For what reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the decision of Vivien and Abby to take the heart meant for Nina Voss to save Josh O'Day's life. What do they do? For what reason? Who performs the surgery? What might have happened if they had not gotten Josh a heart that day? What eventually happens to Josh? What happens to Nina Voss? Who should have gotten the heart? Who has the right to decide who gets an organ? What type of system is there that deals with this sort of decision making? Why did it not work in this case?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss selling organs for money. Why would someone buy an organ? Is it morally right to pay for an organ? What happens to people who cannot pay for an organ? Where did the Russians get the organs they were selling? Is what they were doing right? What arguments can be made for the harvesting of organs from living donors? What argument can be made against the harvesting of organs from living donors? Which side does the author of this book come down on? What is your opinion?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in detail citing examples from the book where relevant:
1) Point of View
2) Writing Style
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)