|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who convinces Joe Terrio at the end of Chapter 5 that mistakes were done in his wife's care at Bayside?
2. What topic does Abby suggest all doctors are afraid to discuss, as stated in Chapter 4?
3. What deformity does Yakov reveal he has?
4. How many women, aside from Abby, are part of the medical staff attending a party at Dr. Archer's in Chapter 3?
5. How does Mark decide to treat the post-op fever in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vivien do in response to Abby's question in Chapter 10 was it all worth it?
2. What does Victor Voss do when he finds Abby in his wife's room in Chapter 9? What does Mark suggest Abby do about it?
3. Who is chosen to take the heart to Mass Gen in Chapter 4?
4. What does Mark tell Abby about the harvest at Wilcox Memorial Hospital that causes her to feel assured that the harvest took place there despite her earlier phone call? Who did the harvest?
5. What doctor becomes interested in Karen Terrio's organs? For what reason?
6. Why is there such an abrupt end to Mark and Abby's sailing trip in Chapter 10?
7. What is Yakov's biggest fear as he travels to America?
8. Why does Abby visit Nina Voss in Chapter 8? How does Nina Voss react to this visit?
9. What does Abby learn in Chapter 5 will be the consequences of what she and Vivien have done?
10. What goes wrong when Dr. Chao begins plans to transplant Karen Terrio's heart into Josh O'Day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following relationships in detail:
1) Abby and Mark
2) Abby and Kaftka
3) Abby and Yakov
4) Abby and Vivien.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the decision of Vivien and Abby to take the heart meant for Nina Voss to save Josh O'Day's life. What do they do? For what reason? Who performs the surgery? What might have happened if they had not gotten Josh a heart that day? What eventually happens to Josh? What happens to Nina Voss? Who should have gotten the heart? Who has the right to decide who gets an organ? What type of system is there that deals with this sort of decision making? Why did it not work in this case?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss selling organs for money. Why would someone buy an organ? Is it morally right to pay for an organ? What happens to people who cannot pay for an organ? Where did the Russians get the organs they were selling? Is what they were doing right? What arguments can be made for the harvesting of organs from living donors? What argument can be made against the harvesting of organs from living donors? Which side does the author of this book come down on? What is your opinion?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)