|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotional things does Yakov tell the captain of the ship he does not do in in Chapter 7?
2. With whom does Vivien Chao argue Josh O'Day's need for the heart intended for Nina Voss?
3. What is the main topic of conversation between the men at Dr. Archer's party in Chapter 3?
4. Who is the surgeon at Mass Gen who will perform Josh O'Day's transplant?
5. Who does Mark suggest Vivien visit after her confrontation with Parr in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What goes wrong when Dr. Chao begins plans to transplant Karen Terrio's heart into Josh O'Day?
2. What causes the accident that leads to Karen Terrio's brain injury?
3. Why does Abby try so hard to impress Dr. Wettig while presenting her patient?
4. Why is there such an abrupt end to Mark and Abby's sailing trip in Chapter 10?
5. Who is chosen to take the heart to Mass Gen in Chapter 4?
6. To what inner sanctum does Dr. Bill Archer invite Abby? For what reason?
7. What does Dr. Chao decide to do to make sure that Josh O'Day receives a heart?
8. What does Gregor do to Uncle Misha after the boys leave the apartment?
9. What doctor becomes interested in Karen Terrio's organs? For what reason?
10. How does Nina Voss feel about her impending death? How does this compare to the feelings of her husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Aaron Levi? How does Abby come to know him? How does the reader meet him? What kind of person is Aaron? Why is Aaron unhappy when he learns that Abby will be treating Nina Voss' post-op fever? Why does Aaron not show up at the hospital as his wife thought he would? What happens when everyone learns Aaron has died? What is the funeral like? What odd thing happens at the wake that causes Abby some concern? Where does Elaine Levi go later that causes Abby and a cop to wonder about Aaron's death? How did Aaron die? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Abby DiMatteo? What is her job? At what point is she in her training? What does Abby's future look like as the novel begins? Why do things turn in a different direction? Why does Abby work with Vivien Chao to get a heart for Josh O'Day? Is what they have done wrong? What might someone else have done in the same situation? Who should have gotten the heart? Why does the pattern of harassment begin after this takes place? Who is doing it? For what reason?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the team values of the transplant team at Bayside. What does the transplant team expect of their team members? What do they tell Abby about their expectations where she is concerned? Is there anything unusual about these expectations? How do these expectations become more sinister as the plot continues to develop? What do these expectations have to do with Aaron Levi's death? With the money his wife found in a secret bank account? With his wife's disappearance? With the deaths of two other doctors?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)