|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mark racing on his sailboat in Chapter 10?
2. With whom does Vivien Chao argue Josh O'Day's need for the heart intended for Nina Voss?
3. What topic does Abby suggest all doctors are afraid to discuss, as stated in Chapter 4?
4. How old does Yakov claim he was when he began smoking?
5. What does Abby find on the x-ray of the post-op fever patient's chest in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mark tell Abby about the harvest at Wilcox Memorial Hospital that causes her to feel assured that the harvest took place there despite her earlier phone call? Who did the harvest?
2. What is Yakov's biggest fear as he travels to America?
3. To what inner sanctum does Dr. Bill Archer invite Abby? For what reason?
4. How does Nina Voss feel about her impending death? How does this compare to the feelings of her husband?
5. Who attempts to stop the delivery of Karen Terrio's heart to Mass Gen in Chapter 5?
6. Who is chosen to take the heart to Mass Gen in Chapter 4?
7. What does Yakov do for a living before being taken to America by Nadiya and Gregor? For what reason?
8. What does Abby say about the morphine she orders for Mary Allen in Chapter 6?
9. What doctor becomes interested in Karen Terrio's organs? For what reason?
10. What does Abby learn in Chapter 5 will be the consequences of what she and Vivien have done?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following relationships in detail:
1) Abby and Mark
2) Abby and Kaftka
3) Abby and Yakov
4) Abby and Vivien.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mark Hodell? How does Abby come to live with Mark? What is their relationship like? How does Abby feel about Mark in the beginning of the novel? How does their relationship change? For what reason? Why does Mark turn on Abby? What did Abby do to hurt Mark? Why is Mark working with the wrong people? What do they have on Mark that forces him to work with them? Is Mark happy with this criminal career? How does the reader know how Mark feels about his situation? What happens to Mark in the end? Is this something Mark deserved? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Abby is accused of medical malpractice several times in this novel. What is malpractice? What is someone claiming Abby did wrong? Why does Mary Allen's niece not want her aunt to get morphine? What is Abby overheard saying about administering morphine to Mary Allen? Why does Abby become angry and abusive toward the niece when she objects to the administration of morphine? Did Abby want to kill Mary Allen? What benefit would Abby get from killing Mary Allen? Why is Abby accused of this murder? What evidence is there? What is the end result of this evidence?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)