|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Vivien Chao argue Josh O'Day's need for the heart intended for Nina Voss?
2. Who confronts Abby in the MICU in Chapter 5?
3. Whose body do Mark and Abby learn was found in the end of Chapter 10?
4. In Chapter 7, where does Yakov learn the ship is headed?
5. What does Dr. Abby DiMatteo believes is causing Karen Terrio's unresponsiveness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What doctor becomes interested in Karen Terrio's organs? For what reason?
2. Why is Abby called to Jeremiah Parr's office in Chapter 6? What does this mean for Abby's career?
3. What does Abby say about the morphine she orders for Mary Allen in Chapter 6?
4. Why is there such an abrupt end to Mark and Abby's sailing trip in Chapter 10?
5. What makes Yakov think the men on board his freighter ship are doing something illegal?
6. What does Dr. Chao decide to do to make sure that Josh O'Day receives a heart?
7. Why does Abby call Wilcox Memorial Hospital in Vermont about Nina Voss' donor in Chapter 8?
8. Why does the transplant team invite Abby to join them on a heart transplant in chapter 6? What is the reason Abby might have refused?
9. What does Yakov do for a living before being taken to America by Nadiya and Gregor? For what reason?
10. Why does Abby try so hard to impress Dr. Wettig while presenting her patient?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Bernard Kaftka? What tragedy took place in his past? How did Kaftka react to that tragedy? What does Kaftka do for a living? How does he meet Abby? How do Abby and Kaftka find themselves thrown together? How does Kaftka nearly die in Abby's company? How does Kaftka rescue Abby in the end? What are Kaftka's feelings for Abby? Why does Kaftka not believe Abby when she insists she was not driving drunk the night of her accident? Does Kaftka come to believe her later? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel in detail, including discussion about each of the following:
1) Bayside Hospital
2) Massachusetts General Hospital
4) The freight ship.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mark Hodell? How does Abby come to live with Mark? What is their relationship like? How does Abby feel about Mark in the beginning of the novel? How does their relationship change? For what reason? Why does Mark turn on Abby? What did Abby do to hurt Mark? Why is Mark working with the wrong people? What do they have on Mark that forces him to work with them? Is Mark happy with this criminal career? How does the reader know how Mark feels about his situation? What happens to Mark in the end? Is this something Mark deserved? Explain.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)