|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occupation does Yakov wish he was allowed to participate in?
2. In Chapter 7, how many times does the engineer tell Yakov he has been to America?
3. How does Mark decide to treat the post-op fever in Chapter 9?
4. Who is Leonard Mapes?
5. What does SICU stand for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Chao decide to do to make sure that Josh O'Day receives a heart?
2. To what inner sanctum does Dr. Bill Archer invite Abby? For what reason?
3. What goes wrong when Dr. Chao begins plans to transplant Karen Terrio's heart into Josh O'Day?
4. What does Abby say about the morphine she orders for Mary Allen in Chapter 6?
5. What does Victor Voss do when he finds Abby in his wife's room in Chapter 9? What does Mark suggest Abby do about it?
6. What does Yakov do for a living before being taken to America by Nadiya and Gregor? For what reason?
7. Who attempts to stop the delivery of Karen Terrio's heart to Mass Gen in Chapter 5?
8. How does Nina Voss feel about her impending death? How does this compare to the feelings of her husband?
9. What is Yakov's biggest fear as he travels to America?
10. Why does Abby visit Nina Voss in Chapter 8? How does Nina Voss react to this visit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why are children routinely taken off the freight ship? Where are they going? What does the helicopter come for? What is behind the locked blue door? Why does Yakov want to go behind the blue door? How come Yakov panics when it is his turn to go behind the blue door? What happens to Aleksei when he goes behind the blue door? Why do the other children think the boys are disappearing? Why does no one question the activities taking place on the freight ship?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the overall lesson and/or controversy of this novel. This novel discusses some very important moral questions about modern medicine. Discuss what these moral questions are and how they are addressed in this novel. Cite examples or offer quotes from the novel to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Yakov? What is his life like before he is bought by Nadiya and Gregor? Why is Yakov difficult to control? What does Yakov want out of life? Is it possible he will ever find it? What does Yakov dream of while on board the freighter? How does the engine room technician ruin this dream? What does Yakov think of Abby? Who does he think she is? Why does he fight to save her life? Does he succeed? Why does Yakov refuse to leave Abby's side? What does the reader think will be in the future for Yakov and Abby?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)