|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the surgeon at Mass Gen who will perform Josh O'Day's transplant?
2. Who is Mark Hodell?
3. What is the name of the sailboat Mark is racing in Chapter 10?
4. How does Mark decide to treat the post-op fever in Chapter 9?
5. Who does Mark suggest Vivien visit after her confrontation with Parr in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is there such an abrupt end to Mark and Abby's sailing trip in Chapter 10?
2. Why does Dr. Wettig order Abby injected with Haldol in Chapter 22?
3. What makes Yakov think the men on board his freighter ship are doing something illegal?
4. What does Jeremiah Parr decide to do with the information given him by Abby in Chapter 12 regarding Nina Voss' heart transplant?
5. Why is Abby's locker searched in Chapter 13? What is found?
6. Who is the woman praying at Mary Allen's bedside in Chapter 11? What does she want Abby to do for Mary Allen?
7. What does Gregor do to Uncle Misha after the boys leave the apartment?
8. In Chapter 21, what are Abby and Katzka doing when they are nearly run down by a van? Why?
9. Why does Abby begin to think she is being followed by a van in Chapter 15? What does she do about it?
10. What does Mr. Parr do to Abby in Chapter 13 after searching her locker? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the team values of the transplant team at Bayside. What does the transplant team expect of their team members? What do they tell Abby about their expectations where she is concerned? Is there anything unusual about these expectations? How do these expectations become more sinister as the plot continues to develop? What do these expectations have to do with Aaron Levi's death? With the money his wife found in a secret bank account? With his wife's disappearance? With the deaths of two other doctors?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Abby DiMatteo? What is her job? At what point is she in her training? What does Abby's future look like as the novel begins? Why do things turn in a different direction? Why does Abby work with Vivien Chao to get a heart for Josh O'Day? Is what they have done wrong? What might someone else have done in the same situation? Who should have gotten the heart? Why does the pattern of harassment begin after this takes place? Who is doing it? For what reason?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the actions of Tarasoff in this novel. Why does Abby turn to Ivan Tarasoff when she escapes Bayside? What does Tarasoff tell Abby to make her feel safe in his care? What does Tarasoff do to Abby? How does Tarasoff explain his actions? What is Tarasoff's motivation? Why did the author hide Tarasoff's part in the organ selling business? What about Tarasoff should have tipped the reader off to his actions? Did it? What will happen to Tarasoff in the end?
This section contains 2,347 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)