|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Abby tell Vivien she believes is behind the law suits and the present left in her car?
2. What is NEOB?
3. What is Yakov's favorite place on ship as described in Chapter 7?
4. How old does Yakov claim he was when he began smoking?
5. Why does Joe Terrio initially refuse to sign the forms to allow his wife's organs to be harvested?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Chao decide to do to make sure that Josh O'Day receives a heart?
2. What does Gregor do to Uncle Misha after the boys leave the apartment?
3. What causes the accident that leads to Karen Terrio's brain injury?
4. Why is Abby called to Jeremiah Parr's office in Chapter 6? What does this mean for Abby's career?
5. What does Mark tell Abby about the harvest at Wilcox Memorial Hospital that causes her to feel assured that the harvest took place there despite her earlier phone call? Who did the harvest?
6. How does Nina Voss feel about her impending death? How does this compare to the feelings of her husband?
7. Why does Abby try so hard to impress Dr. Wettig while presenting her patient?
8. What does Vivien do in response to Abby's question in Chapter 10 was it all worth it?
9. What does Victor Voss do when he finds Abby in his wife's room in Chapter 9? What does Mark suggest Abby do about it?
10. What does Yakov do for a living before being taken to America by Nadiya and Gregor? For what reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why are children routinely taken off the freight ship? Where are they going? What does the helicopter come for? What is behind the locked blue door? Why does Yakov want to go behind the blue door? How come Yakov panics when it is his turn to go behind the blue door? What happens to Aleksei when he goes behind the blue door? Why do the other children think the boys are disappearing? Why does no one question the activities taking place on the freight ship?
Essay Topic 2
Abby is taken into Bayside after an accident and she becomes convinced that she could be murdered. Discus this. Who might murder Abby? For what reason? Who does Abby fear? For what reason? What lab tests tell the police that Abby was drunk at the time of the crash? Was she? How could this lab test be manipulated? In how much danger is a patient really in the hospital? Are all patients in danger in a hospital? Is it possible for a doctor to make a mistake that could wrongly injure a patient? What happens in these situations?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the actions of Tarasoff in this novel. Why does Abby turn to Ivan Tarasoff when she escapes Bayside? What does Tarasoff tell Abby to make her feel safe in his care? What does Tarasoff do to Abby? How does Tarasoff explain his actions? What is Tarasoff's motivation? Why did the author hide Tarasoff's part in the organ selling business? What about Tarasoff should have tipped the reader off to his actions? Did it? What will happen to Tarasoff in the end?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)