|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness impacts the boys in Nadiya's charge as they travel to America in Chapter 7?
2. Whose body do Mark and Abby learn was found in the end of Chapter 10?
3. What is Yakov's favorite place on ship as described in Chapter 7?
4. Who is Mark racing on his sailboat in Chapter 10?
5. What reason does Abby believe the hospital decided to give Karen Terrio's heart to Nina Voss over Josh O'Day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Victor Voss do when he finds Abby in his wife's room in Chapter 9? What does Mark suggest Abby do about it?
2. What doctor becomes interested in Karen Terrio's organs? For what reason?
3. What does Vivien do in response to Abby's question in Chapter 10 was it all worth it?
4. What does Yakov do for a living before being taken to America by Nadiya and Gregor? For what reason?
5. Why is there such an abrupt end to Mark and Abby's sailing trip in Chapter 10?
6. Why is Mary Allen in the SICU? What is her prognosis?
7. What does Abby learn in Chapter 5 will be the consequences of what she and Vivien have done?
8. Who is chosen to take the heart to Mass Gen in Chapter 4?
9. How does Nina Voss feel about her impending death? How does this compare to the feelings of her husband?
10. What does Gregor do to Uncle Misha after the boys leave the apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abby is accused of medical malpractice several times in this novel. What is malpractice? What is someone claiming Abby did wrong? Why does Mary Allen's niece not want her aunt to get morphine? What is Abby overheard saying about administering morphine to Mary Allen? Why does Abby become angry and abusive toward the niece when she objects to the administration of morphine? Did Abby want to kill Mary Allen? What benefit would Abby get from killing Mary Allen? Why is Abby accused of this murder? What evidence is there? What is the end result of this evidence?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Aaron Levi? How does Abby come to know him? How does the reader meet him? What kind of person is Aaron? Why is Aaron unhappy when he learns that Abby will be treating Nina Voss' post-op fever? Why does Aaron not show up at the hospital as his wife thought he would? What happens when everyone learns Aaron has died? What is the funeral like? What odd thing happens at the wake that causes Abby some concern? Where does Elaine Levi go later that causes Abby and a cop to wonder about Aaron's death? How did Aaron die? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Nina Voss believes her husband loves her too much? What does that mean? Is it possible to love someone too much? How is Victor Voss making Nina unhappy as she heals from her first transplant surgery? How does Nina feel about this? How does Nina react when she learns her husband might have paid for her new heart? How does Nina feel about her marriage at the end of the novel? How does Nina feel about her impending death? What does this say about Nina's character? How does Nina's character and convictions compare to Victor's?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)