|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Victor Voss go to Jeremiah Parr in Chapter 6 and insist that Abby be fired?
2. What is the name of Mark's sailboat?
3. Which doctor does Abby speak to over the phone regarding the patient with post-op fever in Chapter 8?
4. What what caused the death of the family member Abby sees in her dreams in Chapter 8?
5. How does Abby feel about riding on Mark's sailboat in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yakov do for a living before being taken to America by Nadiya and Gregor? For what reason?
2. What does Abby learn in Chapter 5 will be the consequences of what she and Vivien have done?
3. What does Abby say about the morphine she orders for Mary Allen in Chapter 6?
4. What does Mark tell Abby about the harvest at Wilcox Memorial Hospital that causes her to feel assured that the harvest took place there despite her earlier phone call? Who did the harvest?
5. Why is Mary Allen in the SICU? What is her prognosis?
6. Who is chosen to take the heart to Mass Gen in Chapter 4?
7. What does Vivien do in response to Abby's question in Chapter 10 was it all worth it?
8. Why does Abby call Wilcox Memorial Hospital in Vermont about Nina Voss' donor in Chapter 8?
9. What does Victor Voss do when he finds Abby in his wife's room in Chapter 9? What does Mark suggest Abby do about it?
10. What does Gregor do to Uncle Misha after the boys leave the apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Bernard Kaftka? What tragedy took place in his past? How did Kaftka react to that tragedy? What does Kaftka do for a living? How does he meet Abby? How do Abby and Kaftka find themselves thrown together? How does Kaftka nearly die in Abby's company? How does Kaftka rescue Abby in the end? What are Kaftka's feelings for Abby? Why does Kaftka not believe Abby when she insists she was not driving drunk the night of her accident? Does Kaftka come to believe her later? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in detail citing examples from the book where relevant:
1) Point of View
2) Writing Style
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the actions of Tarasoff in this novel. Why does Abby turn to Ivan Tarasoff when she escapes Bayside? What does Tarasoff tell Abby to make her feel safe in his care? What does Tarasoff do to Abby? How does Tarasoff explain his actions? What is Tarasoff's motivation? Why did the author hide Tarasoff's part in the organ selling business? What about Tarasoff should have tipped the reader off to his actions? Did it? What will happen to Tarasoff in the end?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)