|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mineral do the doctors inject into Karen Terrio's heart to stop it from beating in Chapter 4?
2. Who is Mark racing on his sailboat in Chapter 10?
3. What what caused the death of the family member Abby sees in her dreams in Chapter 8?
4. Why does Karen Terrio tell the reader she is driving in the middle of the night?
5. Who is first to jump to Abby's defense in Chapter 5 after she takes Karen Terrio to Mass Gen for transplant into Josh O'Day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abby learn in Chapter 5 will be the consequences of what she and Vivien have done?
2. What makes Yakov think the men on board his freighter ship are doing something illegal?
3. Why is Abby called to Jeremiah Parr's office in Chapter 6? What does this mean for Abby's career?
4. What does Mark tell Abby about the harvest at Wilcox Memorial Hospital that causes her to feel assured that the harvest took place there despite her earlier phone call? Who did the harvest?
5. What does Abby say about the morphine she orders for Mary Allen in Chapter 6?
6. What doctor becomes interested in Karen Terrio's organs? For what reason?
7. What is Yakov's biggest fear as he travels to America?
8. Who attempts to stop the delivery of Karen Terrio's heart to Mass Gen in Chapter 5?
9. What causes the accident that leads to Karen Terrio's brain injury?
10. Why does Abby visit Nina Voss in Chapter 8? How does Nina Voss react to this visit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abby is taken into Bayside after an accident and she becomes convinced that she could be murdered. Discus this. Who might murder Abby? For what reason? Who does Abby fear? For what reason? What lab tests tell the police that Abby was drunk at the time of the crash? Was she? How could this lab test be manipulated? In how much danger is a patient really in the hospital? Are all patients in danger in a hospital? Is it possible for a doctor to make a mistake that could wrongly injure a patient? What happens in these situations?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Victor Voss? Why does he attempt to buy a heart for his wife? How does his wife feel about this when she finds out? Why is Voss upset at Abby after a donor heart is given to Josh O'Day? What does Voss attempt to do to Abby in revenge? How does this impact her career? What does Abby learn about Voss that she wishes she could use against him? Why does she not use it against him? What ultimately happens to Voss' wife? For what reason?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Bernard Kaftka? What tragedy took place in his past? How did Kaftka react to that tragedy? What does Kaftka do for a living? How does he meet Abby? How do Abby and Kaftka find themselves thrown together? How does Kaftka nearly die in Abby's company? How does Kaftka rescue Abby in the end? What are Kaftka's feelings for Abby? Why does Kaftka not believe Abby when she insists she was not driving drunk the night of her accident? Does Kaftka come to believe her later? Why?
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)