|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which doctor does Abby speak to over the phone regarding the patient with post-op fever in Chapter 8?
2. Where does Yakov often play chess as described in Chapter 7?
3. Why do the nurses applaud Abby in Chapter 6?
4. What illness impacts the boys in Nadiya's charge as they travel to America in Chapter 7?
5. How old is Josh O'Day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is chosen to take the heart to Mass Gen in Chapter 4?
2. To what inner sanctum does Dr. Bill Archer invite Abby? For what reason?
3. What doctor becomes interested in Karen Terrio's organs? For what reason?
4. What causes the accident that leads to Karen Terrio's brain injury?
5. What goes wrong when Dr. Chao begins plans to transplant Karen Terrio's heart into Josh O'Day?
6. What is Yakov's biggest fear as he travels to America?
7. What does Gregor do to Uncle Misha after the boys leave the apartment?
8. What does Abby say about the morphine she orders for Mary Allen in Chapter 6?
9. What does Mark tell Abby about the harvest at Wilcox Memorial Hospital that causes her to feel assured that the harvest took place there despite her earlier phone call? Who did the harvest?
10. What does Dr. Chao decide to do to make sure that Josh O'Day receives a heart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Abby is taken into Bayside after an accident and she becomes convinced that she could be murdered. Discus this. Who might murder Abby? For what reason? Who does Abby fear? For what reason? What lab tests tell the police that Abby was drunk at the time of the crash? Was she? How could this lab test be manipulated? In how much danger is a patient really in the hospital? Are all patients in danger in a hospital? Is it possible for a doctor to make a mistake that could wrongly injure a patient? What happens in these situations?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the decision of Vivien and Abby to take the heart meant for Nina Voss to save Josh O'Day's life. What do they do? For what reason? Who performs the surgery? What might have happened if they had not gotten Josh a heart that day? What eventually happens to Josh? What happens to Nina Voss? Who should have gotten the heart? Who has the right to decide who gets an organ? What type of system is there that deals with this sort of decision making? Why did it not work in this case?
Essay Topic 3
Nina Voss believes her husband loves her too much? What does that mean? Is it possible to love someone too much? How is Victor Voss making Nina unhappy as she heals from her first transplant surgery? How does Nina feel about this? How does Nina react when she learns her husband might have paid for her new heart? How does Nina feel about her marriage at the end of the novel? How does Nina feel about her impending death? What does this say about Nina's character? How does Nina's character and convictions compare to Victor's?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)