|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who confronts Abby in the MICU in Chapter 5?
2. Where did Abby first meet Mr. Parr as discussed in Chapter 5?
3. How old is Josh O'Day?
4. Where does Yakov often play chess as described in Chapter 7?
5. What is the name of Mark's sailboat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abby learn in Chapter 5 will be the consequences of what she and Vivien have done?
2. Why is there such an abrupt end to Mark and Abby's sailing trip in Chapter 10?
3. What makes Yakov think the men on board his freighter ship are doing something illegal?
4. What does Vivien do in response to Abby's question in Chapter 10 was it all worth it?
5. What is Yakov's biggest fear as he travels to America?
6. Who attempts to stop the delivery of Karen Terrio's heart to Mass Gen in Chapter 5?
7. What does Gregor do to Uncle Misha after the boys leave the apartment?
8. Why does the transplant team invite Abby to join them on a heart transplant in chapter 6? What is the reason Abby might have refused?
9. Why does Abby visit Nina Voss in Chapter 8? How does Nina Voss react to this visit?
10. To what inner sanctum does Dr. Bill Archer invite Abby? For what reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the decision of Vivien and Abby to take the heart meant for Nina Voss to save Josh O'Day's life. What do they do? For what reason? Who performs the surgery? What might have happened if they had not gotten Josh a heart that day? What eventually happens to Josh? What happens to Nina Voss? Who should have gotten the heart? Who has the right to decide who gets an organ? What type of system is there that deals with this sort of decision making? Why did it not work in this case?
Essay Topic 2
Nina Voss believes her husband loves her too much? What does that mean? Is it possible to love someone too much? How is Victor Voss making Nina unhappy as she heals from her first transplant surgery? How does Nina feel about this? How does Nina react when she learns her husband might have paid for her new heart? How does Nina feel about her marriage at the end of the novel? How does Nina feel about her impending death? What does this say about Nina's character? How does Nina's character and convictions compare to Victor's?
Essay Topic 3
Why are children routinely taken off the freight ship? Where are they going? What does the helicopter come for? What is behind the locked blue door? Why does Yakov want to go behind the blue door? How come Yakov panics when it is his turn to go behind the blue door? What happens to Aleksei when he goes behind the blue door? Why do the other children think the boys are disappearing? Why does no one question the activities taking place on the freight ship?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)