|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Victor Voss go to Jeremiah Parr in Chapter 6 and insist that Abby be fired?
2. What does Nina Voss overhear her husband saying to the doctors in Chapter 3?
3. What does Abby notice in Chapter 6 about the heart being donated to Nina Voss?
4. What deformity does Yakov reveal he has?
5. How old is Josh O'Day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mark tell Abby about the harvest at Wilcox Memorial Hospital that causes her to feel assured that the harvest took place there despite her earlier phone call? Who did the harvest?
2. What is Yakov's biggest fear as he travels to America?
3. What does Vivien do in response to Abby's question in Chapter 10 was it all worth it?
4. Who attempts to stop the delivery of Karen Terrio's heart to Mass Gen in Chapter 5?
5. Why does Abby call Wilcox Memorial Hospital in Vermont about Nina Voss' donor in Chapter 8?
6. What goes wrong when Dr. Chao begins plans to transplant Karen Terrio's heart into Josh O'Day?
7. What does Dr. Chao decide to do to make sure that Josh O'Day receives a heart?
8. What doctor becomes interested in Karen Terrio's organs? For what reason?
9. Why does Abby visit Nina Voss in Chapter 8? How does Nina Voss react to this visit?
10. Why is Mary Allen in the SICU? What is her prognosis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the decision of Vivien and Abby to take the heart meant for Nina Voss to save Josh O'Day's life. What do they do? For what reason? Who performs the surgery? What might have happened if they had not gotten Josh a heart that day? What eventually happens to Josh? What happens to Nina Voss? Who should have gotten the heart? Who has the right to decide who gets an organ? What type of system is there that deals with this sort of decision making? Why did it not work in this case?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel in detail, including discussion about each of the following:
1) Bayside Hospital
2) Massachusetts General Hospital
4) The freight ship.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the team values of the transplant team at Bayside. What does the transplant team expect of their team members? What do they tell Abby about their expectations where she is concerned? Is there anything unusual about these expectations? How do these expectations become more sinister as the plot continues to develop? What do these expectations have to do with Aaron Levi's death? With the money his wife found in a secret bank account? With his wife's disappearance? With the deaths of two other doctors?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)