|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abby notice in Chapter 6 about the heart being donated to Nina Voss?
2. Why does Karen decide not to pull over and sleep despite her exhaustion?
3. In Chapter 7, from what port does the reader learn the freight ship is traveling?
4. What reason does Abby believe the hospital decided to give Karen Terrio's heart to Nina Voss over Josh O'Day?
5. How does Mark decide to treat the post-op fever in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Abby call Wilcox Memorial Hospital in Vermont about Nina Voss' donor in Chapter 8?
2. What doctor becomes interested in Karen Terrio's organs? For what reason?
3. Who is chosen to take the heart to Mass Gen in Chapter 4?
4. To what inner sanctum does Dr. Bill Archer invite Abby? For what reason?
5. What makes Yakov think the men on board his freighter ship are doing something illegal?
6. What does Abby say about the morphine she orders for Mary Allen in Chapter 6?
7. Why is Mary Allen in the SICU? What is her prognosis?
8. What does Gregor do to Uncle Misha after the boys leave the apartment?
9. What does Mark tell Abby about the harvest at Wilcox Memorial Hospital that causes her to feel assured that the harvest took place there despite her earlier phone call? Who did the harvest?
10. How does Nina Voss feel about her impending death? How does this compare to the feelings of her husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the team values of the transplant team at Bayside. What does the transplant team expect of their team members? What do they tell Abby about their expectations where she is concerned? Is there anything unusual about these expectations? How do these expectations become more sinister as the plot continues to develop? What do these expectations have to do with Aaron Levi's death? With the money his wife found in a secret bank account? With his wife's disappearance? With the deaths of two other doctors?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the decision of Vivien and Abby to take the heart meant for Nina Voss to save Josh O'Day's life. What do they do? For what reason? Who performs the surgery? What might have happened if they had not gotten Josh a heart that day? What eventually happens to Josh? What happens to Nina Voss? Who should have gotten the heart? Who has the right to decide who gets an organ? What type of system is there that deals with this sort of decision making? Why did it not work in this case?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the overall lesson and/or controversy of this novel. This novel discusses some very important moral questions about modern medicine. Discuss what these moral questions are and how they are addressed in this novel. Cite examples or offer quotes from the novel to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)