|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jeremiah Parr?
2. In Chapter 7, how many times does the engineer tell Yakov he has been to America?
3. What does Abby learn V stands for in VMI?
4. In Chapter 7, where does Yakov learn the ship is headed?
5. What does SICU stand for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Abby visit Nina Voss in Chapter 8? How does Nina Voss react to this visit?
2. Why does Abby call Wilcox Memorial Hospital in Vermont about Nina Voss' donor in Chapter 8?
3. What does Yakov do for a living before being taken to America by Nadiya and Gregor? For what reason?
4. What does Dr. Chao decide to do to make sure that Josh O'Day receives a heart?
5. What does Mark tell Abby about the harvest at Wilcox Memorial Hospital that causes her to feel assured that the harvest took place there despite her earlier phone call? Who did the harvest?
6. Why does the transplant team invite Abby to join them on a heart transplant in chapter 6? What is the reason Abby might have refused?
7. Who is chosen to take the heart to Mass Gen in Chapter 4?
8. How does Nina Voss feel about her impending death? How does this compare to the feelings of her husband?
9. Why is Mary Allen in the SICU? What is her prognosis?
10. What does Victor Voss do when he finds Abby in his wife's room in Chapter 9? What does Mark suggest Abby do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why are children routinely taken off the freight ship? Where are they going? What does the helicopter come for? What is behind the locked blue door? Why does Yakov want to go behind the blue door? How come Yakov panics when it is his turn to go behind the blue door? What happens to Aleksei when he goes behind the blue door? Why do the other children think the boys are disappearing? Why does no one question the activities taking place on the freight ship?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Aaron Levi? How does Abby come to know him? How does the reader meet him? What kind of person is Aaron? Why is Aaron unhappy when he learns that Abby will be treating Nina Voss' post-op fever? Why does Aaron not show up at the hospital as his wife thought he would? What happens when everyone learns Aaron has died? What is the funeral like? What odd thing happens at the wake that causes Abby some concern? Where does Elaine Levi go later that causes Abby and a cop to wonder about Aaron's death? How did Aaron die? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Nina Voss believes her husband loves her too much? What does that mean? Is it possible to love someone too much? How is Victor Voss making Nina unhappy as she heals from her first transplant surgery? How does Nina feel about this? How does Nina react when she learns her husband might have paid for her new heart? How does Nina feel about her marriage at the end of the novel? How does Nina feel about her impending death? What does this say about Nina's character? How does Nina's character and convictions compare to Victor's?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)