|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dumbledore request he be buried?
2. After he encounters Dumbledore once the Dark Mark appears over Hogwarts, what does Draco threaten to do?
3. What mission does Harry give to Kreacher while he is in the hospital wing with Ron?
4. Who bites Lupin and turns him into a werewolf?
5. What request does Voldemort have when, two years after leaving Hogwarts, he returns to meet with Dumbledore in his office?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the historical meaning of the cave that Harry and Dumbledore visit while searching for Voldemort's Horcruxes?
2. Why is Ron pleased that Gryffindor loses its Quidditch match to Hufflepuff, even though he's a member of the Gryffindor team?
3. How do Harry, Ron, and Hermione learn of Aragog's death?
4. What reason does Dumbledore give as to why Voldemort's appearance changes so much over the years?
5. Why is Harry so angry when he meets with Dumbledore after bumping into Professor Trelawney in the hallway?
6. Why does Dobby appear with Kreacher when Harry summons Kreacher while in the hospital wing with Ron?
7. After multiple memories are examined by Harry and Dumbledore through the Pensieve, what is assumed about Voldemort's childhood?
8. What does Harry think he sees flying off into the distance after Dumberdore's funeral concludes?
9. What suggestion does Hermione give Harry about getting the memory he needs from Slughorn?
10. What response does Hagrid have when Harry tells him that Dumbledore is killed by Snape?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A strong mastery of language is important for any author's success. Rowling often uses Latin as a basis for the spells she creates in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Choose at least 10 spells from the text, explain their Latin roots, and discuss how Rowling's use of Latin for the spell incantations creates a sense of familiarity for her (Romance-language speaking) readers.
Essay Topic 2
In Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter is motivated by a wide range of emotions. Choose the emotion that you think motivates him the most *throughout* the novel, making sure to provide at least four examples from the text that support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Choose three items or events from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince that Rowling uses to foreshadow what happens later in the story. Discuss how these items do indeed foreshadow what happens, and provide specific evidence from the text that supports their role as something that foreshadows what happens.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)