|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the memory Harry obtains from Slughorn show?
2. What is Malfoy doing in the bathroom when Harry confronts him there?
3. How long does Hagrid know Aragog?
4. What makes Dumbledore so sure he and Harry find the right cave?
5. During the Christmas break, how many people believe Harry when he says that Snape is a Death Eater?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ron pleased that Gryffindor loses its Quidditch match to Hufflepuff, even though he's a member of the Gryffindor team?
2. What are the motives behind the two sets of murders that Voldemort commits?
3. Who does Harry and Dumbledore learn Voldemort blames for the two sets of murders that he commits himself?
4. What is the historical meaning of the cave that Harry and Dumbledore visit while searching for Voldemort's Horcruxes?
5. What success does Hermione have searching for information on Horcruxes?
6. What happens to Malfoy when Harry uses the Sectumsempra spell on him?
7. After multiple memories are examined by Harry and Dumbledore through the Pensieve, what is assumed about Voldemort's childhood?
8. What factors motivate Kreacher and Dobby's allegiance to Harry?
9. What mission does Dumbledore put Harry on after he returns from Christmas break?
10. What is the only thing that allows Harry to break free from Dumbledore's immobilizing spell when the two of them return from the cave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Rowling and her Harry Potter novels are famous, they are by no means without their critics. Choose three literary weaknesses you see in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, mention the reasons why you consider these weaknesses in the novel, and list at least two things Rowling does differently to strengthen her writing.
Essay Topic 2
Much is made of Voldemort's interpretation of the prophecy regarding him and (he believes) Harry Potter. Discuss whether or not Harry is creating a similar self-fulfilling prophecy based on the information contained in the shattered prophecy itself, using at least three examples from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
The Harry Potter series are famous around the world. Consequently, most readers of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince are familiar with the characters and the storyline. Write an essay that discusses at least four challenges an author faces when writing a novel that is part of a series, using examples from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince to support your position. What kinds of things must the author do for returning readers? What kind of things must the author do for readers who may, intentionally or not, be coming into the series with Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince? How does Rowling complete these tasks?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)