|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Tonks acting when Harry encounters her in the castle while she is on her way to meet Dumbledore?
2. What does Harry try to do to Snape that Snape mocks him for?
3. Which noteworthy person does not attend Dumbledore's funeral?
4. During the Christmas break, how many people believe Harry when he says that Snape is a Death Eater?
5. What items does Harry give to Ron and Hermione before he leaves with Dumbledore to search for Horcruxes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Harry, Ron, and Hermione learn of Aragog's death?
2. Why is Ron pleased that Gryffindor loses its Quidditch match to Hufflepuff, even though he's a member of the Gryffindor team?
3. What is the only thing that allows Harry to break free from Dumbledore's immobilizing spell when the two of them return from the cave?
4. What do Kreacher and Dobby report back to Harry after Harry sends them out on a mission to observe Draco?
5. Who does Harry and Dumbledore learn Voldemort blames for the two sets of murders that he commits himself?
6. What reason is finally disclosed, at Bill's bedside, as to why Tonks is looking so unhappy and unhealthy throughout the novel?
7. What factors motivate Kreacher and Dobby's allegiance to Harry?
8. What happens to Malfoy when Harry uses the Sectumsempra spell on him?
9. What is the historical meaning of the cave that Harry and Dumbledore visit while searching for Voldemort's Horcruxes?
10. When Harry discovers her on his way to Dumbledore's office, why is Professor Trelawney screaming?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several characters in the novel have very minor roles (such as the Prime Minister) but play an important role in the text. Choose one minor character and discuss what role he or she plays in the text, how the story is different without that character, and three literary devices Rowling uses to establish the importance of this minor character in a brief but effective way.
Essay Topic 2
In Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter is motivated by a wide range of emotions. Choose the emotion that you think motivates him the most *throughout* the novel, making sure to provide at least four examples from the text that support your position.
Essay Topic 3
While Rowling and her Harry Potter novels are famous, they are by no means without their critics. Choose three literary weaknesses you see in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, mention the reasons why you consider these weaknesses in the novel, and list at least two things Rowling does differently to strengthen her writing.
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)