|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What request does Voldemort have when, two years after leaving Hogwarts, he returns to meet with Dumbledore in his office?
2. What item does Harry use to save his life after he drinks poisoned mead?
3. Why does Harry break up with Ginny before they leave Hogwarts?
4. What makes Dumbledore so sure he and Harry find the right cave?
5. What does Lupin assure Harry about his special Potions book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factors motivate Kreacher and Dobby's allegiance to Harry?
2. What does Harry think he sees flying off into the distance after Dumberdore's funeral concludes?
3. What reason does Dumbledore give as to why Voldemort's appearance changes so much over the years?
4. What reason is finally disclosed, at Bill's bedside, as to why Tonks is looking so unhappy and unhealthy throughout the novel?
5. What do Kreacher and Dobby report back to Harry after Harry sends them out on a mission to observe Draco?
6. What response does Hagrid have when Harry tells him that Dumbledore is killed by Snape?
7. What does Dumbledore explain really happens when the young Tom Riddle/Voldemort confronts Morfin?
8. What are three spells that Harry casts while trying to escape from the cave with Dumbledore?
9. What suggestion does Hermione give Harry about getting the memory he needs from Slughorn?
10. Why do Fred and George make fun of Harry and Ron being forced to slice meat by hand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trust plays a key role throughout Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. In a well-written essay, discuss the theme of trust within the novel, making sure to address the trust (or lack thereof) between at least one set of characters and how that trust (or lack thereof) plays a pivotal role in the development of the storyline. Make sure to use specific quotes from the text.
Essay Topic 2
When Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is first published, many readers are shocked and upset that Dumbledore dies. Using at least three reasons based on what you know from the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince storyline, discuss whether or not you feel that Dumbledore's death is a natural, justified, and legitimate plot development.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two characters from the novel of different genders. Compare and contrast them, paying particular attention to the traditional or non-traditional gender roles they play within Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)