|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Harry respond to seeing Ginny kissing someone?
2. At what time does Harry have to report to Snape's office for his first detention of the year?
3. Whose memory do Dumbledore and Harry first use to explore Voldemort's childhood?
4. What potion does Professor Slughorn challenge his students to make on the first day?
5. Who is Mrs. Cole?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Harry not looking forward to Quidditch tryouts?
2. What reason is behind Ron's spontaneous kissing of Lavender Brown after the Gryffindors win their Quidditch match against Slytherin?
3. What information about Snape is confirmed in Harry's mind, based on what he sees after the Christmas party?
4. Why do Harry, Ron, and Hermione worry about Dumbledore's extended absences from Hogwarts?
5. Why is Harry not ready to go when Dumbledore arrives to pick him up from the Dursleys'?
6. What does Harry's harsh detention tell the reader about Snape's character?
7. What is the advertising line that Fred and George are using to sell their "U-No-Poo" product?
8. What does Harry get as a result of Sirius' will?
9. How does Hermione respond to Harry's continued, and increasing, use of the alternate spells written in his Potions textbook?
10. What does Harry find particularly disappointing about the grade he receives on his Potions O.W.L.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Complete a character analysis of Merope. What kind of girl is she? What kind of woman does she grow up to be? What is her legacy? As part of your analysis, choose at least two major life choices she makes and describe 1) their long-term effects on her life, 2) what those choices tell the reader about her character, and 3) their long-term effects on at least one other character in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
What does the title of the book (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince) mean? Why does Rowling choose that title? What does the title tell the reader before he or she even begins reading the story? What other titles work with this text?
Essay Topic 3
The tone of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince shifts dramatically throughout the novel. Choose three tones that are present in the novel, mention where and when they occur, analyze what Rowling does to create each tone, and then discuss how Rowling transitions out of this tone. Make sure to use examples from the text when analyzing each tone in your paper.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)