|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Harry update Ron and Hermione on what he finds out about the young Voldemort in the orphanage?
2. Why does Harry's uncle's forehead veins bulge when he sees Dumbledore for the first time?
3. Who does Harry think is behind Katie's attack?
4. Why is Draco eager to begin a new year at Hogwart's?
5. What does Snape inform Harry that his detention task is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Harry not ready to go when Dumbledore arrives to pick him up from the Dursleys'?
2. What surprise announcement does Dumbledore make about a change in teachers for the new year at Hogwarts?
3. What reason does Snape give, in response to Bellatrix's accusations, about why he doesn't go straight back to Voldemort's side when Voldemort returns?
4. What is the advertising line that Fred and George are using to sell their "U-No-Poo" product?
5. What information about Snape is confirmed in Harry's mind, based on what he sees after the Christmas party?
6. What reason does Hermione give for warning Harry to be careful as the Christmas party approaches?
7. Why does Harry only pretend to spike Ron's pumpkin juice with Felix Felicis?
8. How does Harry respond to learning that his first lesson with Dumbledore is within a week of starting Hogwarts?
9. Why do Harry, Ron, and Hermione worry about Dumbledore's extended absences from Hogwarts?
10. How does Tom Riddle respond when he realizes that Merope puts a love potion on him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an argument that discusses whether or not you think that Fleur and Bill Weasley should be married after Bill is attacked by the werewolf. Make sure to use specific evidence from the text, such as information about each of the character's personalities and what Rowling informs us (not what you may know from outside knowledge) about werewolves, to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
What does the title of the book (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince) mean? Why does Rowling choose that title? What does the title tell the reader before he or she even begins reading the story? What other titles work with this text?
Essay Topic 3
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is often classified in the science fiction/fantasy genre. Discuss at least five features of novels in this genre and what aspects of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince meet these required features.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)