|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Ron kisses Lavender Brown, why does Harry find it so difficult to talk to Ron?
2. What is the reason for the visit to Marvolo Gaunt's house?
3. How does Harry respond to seeing Ginny kissing someone?
4. Why can Snape not reveal to Narciss and Snape where the Order of the Phoenix hideout is?
5. Why is Draco eager to begin a new year at Hogwart's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What signals to Dumbledore that the young Tom Riddle is different from other young wizards his age?
2. How does Harry respond to learning that his first lesson with Dumbledore is within a week of starting Hogwarts?
3. Why does Dumbledore think that he and Harry need to learn about Voldemort's childhood?
4. Why does Harry only pretend to spike Ron's pumpkin juice with Felix Felicis?
5. What do Ron, Hermione, and Harry realize about Draco after their interaction with him in the dress shop in Hogsmeade?
6. What reason does Hermione give for warning Harry to be careful as the Christmas party approaches?
7. How are the wizards told to greet each other now that Voldemort is back?
8. What does Harry think he hates Snape for most when he sees him upon returning to Hogwarts?
9. What reason is behind Ron's spontaneous kissing of Lavender Brown after the Gryffindors win their Quidditch match against Slytherin?
10. What surprising news does a letter bring Harry when he is at the Burrow, preparing to leave for Hogwarts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Rowling and her Harry Potter novels are famous, they are by no means without their critics. Choose three literary weaknesses you see in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, mention the reasons why you consider these weaknesses in the novel, and list at least two things Rowling does differently to strengthen her writing.
Essay Topic 2
Write an argument that discusses whether or not you think that Fleur and Bill Weasley should be married after Bill is attacked by the werewolf. Make sure to use specific evidence from the text, such as information about each of the character's personalities and what Rowling informs us (not what you may know from outside knowledge) about werewolves, to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Complete a character analysis of Merope. What kind of girl is she? What kind of woman does she grow up to be? What is her legacy? As part of your analysis, choose at least two major life choices she makes and describe 1) their long-term effects on her life, 2) what those choices tell the reader about her character, and 3) their long-term effects on at least one other character in the novel.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)