|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Snape say that Defense Against the Dark Arts is an ever-evolving field?
(a) Because no student is ever smart enough to learn it all.
(b) Because it is a beautiful study, much like art.
(c) Because the Dark Arts are always changing.
(d) Because they've have so many different teachers over the years.
2. At what time does Harry have to report to Snape's office for his first detention of the year?
(a) 6:30 a.m..
(b) 6:30 p.m..
(c) 12:00 noon.
(d) 8:30 a.m..
3. Where do Harry, Ron, and Hermione go when they sneak away from the Weasleys while visiting Hogsmeade?
(a) To follow Draco.
(b) To Hogwarts.
(c) To find Hagrid.
(d) To grab butterbeer at a local pub.
4. Whose Potions textbook is Harry given until he can get a new one?
(c) The Half-Blood Prince's.
(d) Professor Slughorn's.
5. Who finds Harry stuck on the train as it starts departing from Hogsmeade?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tonks send a message to in Hogwarts about Harry being late to the opening feast?
2. Who arrives just in the nick of time to calm Harry down when he's upset about the stolen goods being sold in Hogsmeade?
3. What is Slughorn's favorite treat?
4. How do the other children respond to the young Tom Riddle at the orphanage?
5. At what age do witches and wizards come of age in the wizarding world?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Snape give, in response to Bellatrix's accusations, about why he doesn't go straight back to Voldemort's side when Voldemort returns?
2. How does Hermione respond to Harry's continued, and increasing, use of the alternate spells written in his Potions textbook?
3. What reason is behind Ron's spontaneous kissing of Lavender Brown after the Gryffindors win their Quidditch match against Slytherin?
4. What key factor lets Dumbledore know that Slughorn's "attacked" apartment is only just a hoax?
5. Why do Harry, Ron, and Hermione worry about Dumbledore's extended absences from Hogwarts?
6. How does Tom Riddle respond when he realizes that Merope puts a love potion on him?
7. Why does Harry only pretend to spike Ron's pumpkin juice with Felix Felicis?
8. What surprise announcement does Dumbledore make about a change in teachers for the new year at Hogwarts?
9. What signals to Dumbledore that the young Tom Riddle is different from other young wizards his age?
10. What information about Snape is confirmed in Harry's mind, based on what he sees after the Christmas party?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)