|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must the young people do to get past the room after the keys in Chapter 16?
2. What does Harry discover when he sees the back of Quirrell's head in Chapter 17?
3. What happens when Quirrell tries to choke Harry?
4. What is Charlie doing in Romania?
5. What do Harry and Ron convince Hagrid to do in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Harry looks into the mirror to find the Sorcerer's Stone in Chapter 17?
2. How does Hagrid feel about owning a dragon's egg, and why is that problematic?
3. Who is the man in the last chamber that Harry and Hermione come to in Chapter 17, and how do they react upon seeing him?
4. What does Dumbledore tell Harry about why Quirrell's hand burned when he touched Harry?
5. What happens to Ron while they are playing chess, and what do Harry and Hermione do?
6. What does the detention for the group of students in Chapter 15 consist of?
7. How does seeing his parents in the mirror affect Harry?
8. What does Harry realize about the person drinking the unicorn blood?
9. What does Harry believe is guarding the Sorcerer's Stone?
10. What happens when Harry removes a book from a shelf in the restricted area of the library in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Mirror of Erised is said to reveal your deepest desire or passion. Compare and contrast what you believe you would see in the Mirror of Erised, versus what Harry saw.
Essay Topic 2
Trace and analyze one major theme of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
What is foreshadowing? Identify three instances of foreshadowing in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone and what they foreshadow. How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense? Are there any incidences that you thought foreshadows a future event, but it does not do so?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)