|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About whom have Harry, Ron and Hermione been searching for information in Chapter 12?
2. After leaving the room with the flying birds, what do the young people discover?
3. What does Harry tell Quirrell in Chapter 17, regarding the whereabouts of the Sorcerer's Stone?
4. What does Dumbledore tell Harry about what Harry has found in Chapter 12?
5. What happens when Quirrell tries to choke Harry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Sorcerer's Stone?
2. Why does Harry worry about the Sorcerer's Stone?
3. What is happening to Professor Quirrell as the weeks pass?
4. What does the detention for the group of students in Chapter 15 consist of?
5. What does Harry believe is guarding the Sorcerer's Stone?
6. Who is Nicolas Flamel?
7. For what information have Ron, Harry, and Hermione been searching in Chapter 12?
8. What does Harry realize about the person drinking the unicorn blood?
9. What does Harry believe about the conversation between Snape and Quirrell that Harry observes in the Forbidden Forest?
10. What happens when Harry looks into the mirror to find the Sorcerer's Stone in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels.
Compare/contrast the characters of Harry and Voldemort. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples. Compare/contrast the characters of Harry and Dumbledore. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
Essay Topic 2
Harry seems to run into bullies wherever he is.
Compare Dudley’s behavior to Draco’s behavior. How are they similar? Do you think there is a reason both of them react to Harry in the same manner? What might be that reason? Do you think whenever there is a group of people there will always be at least on bully in the crowd? Why or why not? Use examples from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven or action driven? Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why? Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character are developed to the same degree? Why or why not? What type of plot do you think Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone is? Explain your response.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)