|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relation is Fred to George?
2. Who, in Chapter 16, dismisses Harry's worries about the Sorcerer's Stone?
3. Why do Ron and Hermione not worry about the Sorcerer's Stone?
4. Who was Flamel's partner?
5. Who left Harry the package with something that had belonged to Harry's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harry do after Ron is asleep the night of Christmas?
2. What do Harry, Ron, and Hermione realize in Chapter 16 when they enter the chamber where Fluffy resides?
3. What does Harry believe about the conversation between Snape and Quirrell that Harry observes in the Forbidden Forest?
4. What does Harry realize about the person drinking the unicorn blood?
5. What does Dumbledore tell Harry about why Quirrell's hand burned when he touched Harry?
6. Who is the man in the last chamber that Harry and Hermione come to in Chapter 17, and how do they react upon seeing him?
7. What kind of dragon is contained in Hagrid's egg?
8. Why does Ron have to go to the hospital wing in Chapter 14?
9. What happens when Harry removes a book from a shelf in the restricted area of the library in Chapter 12?
10. How does Hagrid feel about owning a dragon's egg, and why is that problematic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels.
Compare/contrast the characters of Harry and Voldemort. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples. Compare/contrast the characters of Harry and Dumbledore. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
Essay Topic 2
Dudley is an obnoxious bully who indulges too much in food. Harry is quite the opposite.
Why do you think Dudley, who is loved and pampered is such a selfish bully? How do you Harry turns out to be honorable and kind? How might these two boys relate to the question of nature versus nurture? Use examples from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. Are these universal symbols that would have the same meaning in any culture? What other symbols could portray the same idea? Why do you think Rowling chooses the symbols she does? Consider symbols such as Harry’s wand, the killing of the unicorn, Norbert, and the three-headed dog.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)