|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Quirrell tries to choke Harry?
2. Where does Harry go for the Christmas holidays?
3. What does Hagrid say the stranger in the card game asked him?
4. How long is it before finals when the three friends discover Hagrid is hiding something?
5. How does Harry charm Fluffy to go to sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 12, what does Ron realize the present Harry receives on Sunday morning is?
2. What is the Sorcerer's Stone?
3. What happens when Harry looks into the mirror in the abandoned classroom in Chapter 12?
4. What happens when Harry looks into the mirror to find the Sorcerer's Stone in Chapter 17?
5. Why does Ron have to go to the hospital wing in Chapter 14?
6. What happens to Ron while they are playing chess, and what do Harry and Hermione do?
7. What does Harry believe is guarding the Sorcerer's Stone?
8. What does Dumbledore tell Harry about why Quirrell's hand burned when he touched Harry?
9. How does seeing his parents in the mirror affect Harry?
10. What else does McGonagall make Harry, Hermione, and Neville do and who is to also be with them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trace and analyze one major theme of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Hermione works very hard at being a good student.
Why do you think Hermione works so hard at being the best? What might this say about how she feels about herself or her family? Do you think she works too hard at being perfect? Why or why not? Use examples from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Define plot and include the definitions of the most important elements of a plot. Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not? Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot? Give a brief synopsis of any important sub-plots.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)