|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, how does Harry think Hagrid has been duped?
2. Who do Harry and Hermione encounter in the last chamber in Chapter 16?
3. What are Harry, Hermione, Neville and Draco to help Hagrid do in Chapter 15?
4. Why are Harry, Ron, and Hermione searching for information about a specific person in Chapter 12?
5. Where does Harry go for the Christmas holidays?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Nicolas Flamel?
2. For what information have Ron, Harry, and Hermione been searching in Chapter 12?
3. What do Harry and Malfoy see when they hear a noise and go to the sound while in the forest in Chapter 15?
4. What does Hermione realize about the flying birds?
5. What happens when Harry looks into the mirror in the abandoned classroom in Chapter 12?
6. How does Hagrid feel about owning a dragon's egg, and why is that problematic?
7. How does seeing his parents in the mirror affect Harry?
8. What does McGonagall do when Harry, Hermione and Neville are found out of their rooms after midnight in Chapter 15?
9. What kind of dragon is contained in Hagrid's egg?
10. What does the detention for the group of students in Chapter 15 consist of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is foreshadowing? Identify three instances of foreshadowing in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone and what they foreshadow. How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense? Are there any incidences that you thought foreshadows a future event, but it does not do so?
Essay Topic 2
Trace and analyze the theme of life and death in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to want immortality? Which characters are dead and how do they affect the other characters and the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the protagonists of the story and why you believe they are such. Identify the antagonists of the story and why you believe they are such. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot? Which, if any, characters are not essential to the story? Explain.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)