|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ron have to go to the hospital ward in Chapter 14?
2. What does Harry discover when he sees the back of Quirrell's head in Chapter 17?
3. Why does Ron have to stay in the hospital?
4. About whom have Harry, Ron and Hermione been searching for information in Chapter 12?
5. How do the other students in Griffindor feels towards Neville, Harry, and Hermione the morning after McGonagall's punishment in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What else does McGonagall make Harry, Hermione, and Neville do and who is to also be with them?
2. What happens when Harry looks into the mirror to find the Sorcerer's Stone in Chapter 17?
3. What happens to Ron while they are playing chess, and what do Harry and Hermione do?
4. What does Harry realize Hagrid revealed through his story of how he acquired the dragon egg?
5. What does McGonagall do when Harry, Hermione and Neville are found out of their rooms after midnight in Chapter 15?
6. Why does Harry worry about the Sorcerer's Stone?
7. What does Harry learn about Snape in Chapter 17 concerning Harry?
8. What does Harry believe about the conversation between Snape and Quirrell that Harry observes in the Forbidden Forest?
9. What does Harry do after Ron is asleep the night of Christmas?
10. What does Dumbledore tell Harry about why Quirrell's hand burned when he touched Harry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harry is convinced Snape is a dark wizard.
Do you think Harry is biased in his opinion about Snape? Do you think anyone would interpret Snape’s behavior as Harry has done? Do you think Snape is a dark wizard? Why or why not? Use examples from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about what they know, and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting.
Research and give a brief biographical sketch of J. K. Rowling. What aspects of, or beliefs from, Rowling's own life are seen in her writer - either directly appearing in or having a probable influence over her writer.
Essay Topic 3
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character.
Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not? Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone? Why or why not?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)