|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Harry shock Draco in Chapter 9?
2. What is Griffindor's final score in the Quidditch match against Slytherin in Chapter 11?
3. What does Hagrid pull out of his coat in Chapter 5?
4. What does Hermione see when she scans the crowd with Hagrid's binoculars during the Quidditch match between Griffindor and Slytherin?
5. How does Hermione keep Harry and Ron from getting in trouble in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harry think is going to happen when Professor McGonagall yells at him when he is on a broom in Chapter 9, and what does she do?
2. Where are Dudley and Harry going to be attending school?
3. How does Harry feel the next morning after Hagrid first arrived to claim him?
4. In Chapter 4, what does Hagrid tell Harry about the curse backfiring?
5. What does Hagrid tell Harry in Chapter 4 that stuns Harry?
6. About what are Ron, Hermione, and Harry convinced concerning Snape in Chapter 11?
7. How is Harry's initial experience in potions class?
8. What begins happening at the Dursley's home in Chapter 1, and how does Mr. Dursley handle it?
9. What is to happen in early November after the weather turns bitterly cold?
10. Harry receives a package during lunch a week after his first broom ride; what is inside?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone would qualify as a novel with a happy ending? Why or why not? Why might Rowling have ended the novel the way she did?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the protagonists of the story and why you believe they are such. Identify the antagonists of the story and why you believe they are such. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot? Which, if any, characters are not essential to the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Trace and analyze the theme of good and evil in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. Consider the following questions as you write: Examine which characters are seen as good. What are some of the reasons they are considered good? Discuss the characters who are seen as evil and some of the reasons they are considered evil.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)