|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Dursley say he forbids in Chapter 4?
2. What professor seems to have something against Harry Potter?
3. What is a Nimbus Two Thousand?
4. What begins to happen that bothers Mr. Dursley?
5. In which house is Harry Potter placed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Malfoy do after Harry demands Malfoy hand over the "Remember all"?
2. What is to happen in early November after the weather turns bitterly cold?
3. What begins happening at the Dursley's home in Chapter 1, and how does Mr. Dursley handle it?
4. What happens when Mr. Dursley breaks under the stress of all the letters piling up?
5. What is the seeker's role in a Quidditch match?
6. What is the process of "sorting" at Hogwarts?
7. What happens one Sunday about the letters that are arriving at the Dursley home?
8. What does Hagrid do when Ron, Harry, and Hermione mention Fluffy in Chapter 11?
9. How does Harry feel the next morning after Hagrid first arrived to claim him?
10. How is Harry's initial experience in potions class?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone would qualify as a novel with a happy ending? Why or why not? Why might Rowling have ended the novel the way she did?
Essay Topic 2
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone belongs to the fantasy genre.
Define the literary term "genre". What are the advantages and disadvantages of assigning a genre to a novel? What elements of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone make this novel a fantasy?
Essay Topic 3
Dudley is an obnoxious bully who indulges too much in food. Harry is quite the opposite.
Why do you think Dudley, who is loved and pampered is such a selfish bully? How do you Harry turns out to be honorable and kind? How might these two boys relate to the question of nature versus nurture? Use examples from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone to support your answer.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)