|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does the narrator compare Diagon Alley?
2. What list is Harry supposed to get in Chapter 5?
3. Who is Oliver Wood?
4. What does McGonagall tell Oliver Wood about Harry Potter?
5. What does Harry discover in Chapter 11 about the three-headed dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unusual way does Harry catch the snitch in his first Quidditch match?
2. What does Hagrid tell Harry in Chapter 4 that stuns Harry?
3. What does Malfoy do after Harry demands Malfoy hand over the "Remember all"?
4. What is the seeker's role in a Quidditch match?
5. What happens when Mr. Dursley breaks under the stress of all the letters piling up?
6. Harry receives a package during lunch a week after his first broom ride; what is inside?
7. Who are Angus Filch and Mrs. Norris?
8. How is Harry's initial experience in potions class?
9. In Chapter 4, what does Hagrid tell Harry about the curse backfiring?
10. What does Mr. Dursley notice on his way to work one day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. Are these universal symbols that would have the same meaning in any culture? What other symbols could portray the same idea? Why do you think Rowling chooses the symbols she does? Consider symbols such as Harry’s wand, the killing of the unicorn, Norbert, and the three-headed dog.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss what you think are the characteristics of a successful novel and why Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone is or is not a successful novel based on your criteria. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Harry seems to run into bullies wherever he is.
Compare Dudley’s behavior to Draco’s behavior. How are they similar? Do you think there is a reason both of them react to Harry in the same manner? What might be that reason? Do you think whenever there is a group of people there will always be at least on bully in the crowd? Why or why not? Use examples from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone to support your answer.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)