|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What suddenly starts happening during the Quidditch match between Griffindor and Slytherin in Chapter 11?
2. With what does Hermione help Ron and Harry in Chapter 11?
3. What makes Harry's aunt and uncle move Harry into a bedroom in Chapter 3?
4. Who do Ron and Harry visit during the first week of class that raises Harry's mood?
5. What does Harry converse with in Chapter 1 after Dudley awakened it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dumbledore at the Dursley home at the beginning of the book?
2. What happens one Sunday about the letters that are arriving at the Dursley home?
3. Who are Angus Filch and Mrs. Norris?
4. What is the seeker's role in a Quidditch match?
5. What does Malfoy do after Harry demands Malfoy hand over the "Remember all"?
6. Why is Malfoy angry at Harry in Chapter 9, and what does Malfoy do about it?
7. Where is the porthole Harry and Hagrid use in Chapter 5, and what happens when they go into the pub?
8. What unusual way does Harry catch the snitch in his first Quidditch match?
9. In Chapter 4, what does Hagrid tell Harry about the curse backfiring?
10. How does Hagrid supply breakfast in Chapter 5, and what does he say that he and Harry must do after eating?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels.
Compare/contrast the characters of Harry and Voldemort. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples. Compare/contrast the characters of Harry and Dumbledore. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss what you think are the characteristics of a successful novel and why Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone is or is not a successful novel based on your criteria. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the protagonists of the story and why you believe they are such. Identify the antagonists of the story and why you believe they are such. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot? Which, if any, characters are not essential to the story? Explain.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)