|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Neville break his wrist?
2. What is the name of the wizarding community's newspaper?
3. Who does Hermione accidentally knock over in Chapter 11?
4. How many gifts has Dudley received for his birthday in Chapter 2?
5. What has precipitated Hermione's friendship with Harry and Ron?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Harry puts on the sorting hat?
2. What is Harry's first day of classes like at Hogwarts?
3. Where is the porthole Harry and Hagrid use in Chapter 5, and what happens when they go into the pub?
4. What does Hagrid do when Ron, Harry, and Hermione mention Fluffy in Chapter 11?
5. What happens one night after the Dursleys have been in bed for quite some time?
6. What is the seeker's role in a Quidditch match?
7. Why is Malfoy angry at Harry in Chapter 9, and what does Malfoy do about it?
8. What begins happening at the Dursley's home in Chapter 1, and how does Mr. Dursley handle it?
9. What is to happen in early November after the weather turns bitterly cold?
10. How does Hagrid supply breakfast in Chapter 5, and what does he say that he and Harry must do after eating?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trace and analyze the theme of good and evil in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. Consider the following questions as you write: Examine which characters are seen as good. What are some of the reasons they are considered good? Discuss the characters who are seen as evil and some of the reasons they are considered evil.
Essay Topic 2
What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven or action driven? Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why? Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character are developed to the same degree? Why or why not? What type of plot do you think Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Trace and analyze the theme of the power of love in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. How was Harry’s life affected by the power of love? How was Voldemort’s life affected by the power of love? What other characters’ lives are affected by the power of love?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)