|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Harry speak about the whereabouts of the diadem?
2. What does Griphook demand for his help to break into Gringotts?
3. For what is Harry searching in the vault?
4. What does Hermione want to ask Xenophilius Lovegood?
5. Who did Dumbledore mean to have the Elder Wand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Professor McGonagall and the other teachers do as Harry begins his search for the diadem?
2. After jumping off the dragon, what does Harry see with his connection with Voldemort?
3. What is the agreement Harry and Griphook make?
4. Why does Ron ask Harry to stop saying Voldemort's name out loud?
5. What happens to Severius Snape.
6. What does Harry learn about the diadem as others are fighting the Death Eaters at Hogwarts?
7. Sum up the status of Harry, Hermione and Ron nineteen years later.
8. What does Dumbledore tell Harry about Voldemort and Harry's connection?
9. Who do Harry, Ron and Hermione question about the Elder wand?
10. How do Harry, Ron and Hermione escape from Gringotts after being discovered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of manipulation and power in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with manipulation and power? Why? What are some symbols of manipulation and power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of sacrifice in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Which characters are willing to sacrifice for the greater good? Why? Which characters seem self centered? Why? What does Harry Potter gain by his sacrifice in chapter 34?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death. How does the world of Harry Potter seem to view death? Who tries to avoid killing? Who seems to kill for frivolous reasons? Who seems afraid of dying? Not afraid? Who meets death gracefully? In resignation? With joy? With fear?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is a successful novel. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
3. Do you think the fact that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows falls within the genre of fantasy changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Harry Potter is in some ways a larger-than-life hero. Despite incredible odds, he usually comes out on top, in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and in the other books in the series. Discuss the following:
1. Does having a larger-than-life hero make that person less of a hero? In other words, is a hero who ultimately always "lands on his feet," or one who strives against impossible odds and does not succeed more admirable?
2. Does a character have to be successful in order to be a hero? Explain your answer.
3. Choose one other character besides Potter who you might call a hero or heroine and explain why you choose that person.
4. Does every work of fiction have to have a hero? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,356 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)