|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leaves Hogwarts en masse?
2. What does Ron want Harry to stop doing?
3. What part of Harry does Voldemort destroy?
4. How do Harry and Hermione escape Bathilda's home?
5. To whom does Harry speak about the whereabouts of the diadem?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what room do Harry, Hermione, Ron and other allies gather?
2. Briefly related the "Tale of the Three Brothers."
3. What does Harry tell Voldemort about Snape and the Elder Wand?
4. What does Harry learn about Severius Snape when Harry uses the Pensieve?
5. Who do Harry, Ron and Hermione question about the Elder wand?
6. What does Alberforth Dumbledore tell Harry, Hermione and Ron about his sister, Ariana?
7. Describe the encounter with Nagini.
8. After jumping off the dragon, what does Harry see with his connection with Voldemort?
9. What happens to Severius Snape.
10. How is Harry repaid from a previous mercy he showed Wormtail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harry Potter is in some ways a larger-than-life hero. Despite incredible odds, he usually comes out on top, in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and in the other books in the series. Discuss the following:
1. Does having a larger-than-life hero make that person less of a hero? In other words, is a hero who ultimately always "lands on his feet," or one who strives against impossible odds and does not succeed more admirable?
2. Does a character have to be successful in order to be a hero? Explain your answer.
3. Choose one other character besides Potter who you might call a hero or heroine and explain why you choose that person.
4. Does every work of fiction have to have a hero? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of manipulation and power in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with manipulation and power? Why? What are some symbols of manipulation and power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of sacrifice in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Which characters are willing to sacrifice for the greater good? Why? Which characters seem self centered? Why? What does Harry Potter gain by his sacrifice in chapter 34?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death. How does the world of Harry Potter seem to view death? Who tries to avoid killing? Who seems to kill for frivolous reasons? Who seems afraid of dying? Not afraid? Who meets death gracefully? In resignation? With joy? With fear?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,530 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)