|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Snape have Harry take as Snape is dying?
2. Upon whom do all the professors gang up?
3. What does Snape agree to do after talking with Dumbledore when Harry's parents have died?
4. How long are the people at Hogwarts given to turn over Harry Potter to Voldemort before he starts killing people?
5. Who is ordered to carry Harry's body back to Hogwarts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Whenever reading a science fiction or fantasy novel, one must become familiar with new terminology that explains concepts or technology that is not a part of the "real" world. In the case of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, much of the setting is familiar to the reader, though there are new ideas and terms to learn. Discuss the following:
1. Find five terms that are a part of Harry Potter's world that occur in the "real" world but are used differently in Potter's world. Define the words as used in in Harry Potter's world and compare those five words as to how they are currently used in the American English language.
2. There are ways of learning about a new world or time when reading a science fiction or fantasy novel. Discuss the ways you were able to understand the world of Harry Potter. Did you have to look up any words? What does it mean to learn a word through its context? Do you have to do that in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows? What word(s)?
4. Were there any words you never really understood from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and which ones are they?
Essay Topic 2
In Harry Potter, the main hero is a male, as in a large percentage of novels. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think novels more often have a male hero than a female one?
2. Do you believe Hermione is as capable than Harry or Ron? Would the novel be as interesting to you if she were the one that was to defeat Voldemort? Why or why not.
3. Do you think females (in the real world) are just as likely and capable as males to be heroes? Why or why not.
4. Would you rather read a book with a male or female hero or do you have a preference. Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, as in many fantasy books, magic is an integral part of the story. Discuss the following:
1. Define and analyze the principles and use of magic in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Who can use it? Are there limitations? Can magic accomplish anything? Are there things that are forbidden to do?
2. How has Voldemort violated the restrictions put on the use of magic? Do you think the restrictions are just or wise?
3. Are all magic users equally strong? Why do you think a wand is required to use the magic?
4. Name and explain four of the spells used in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
This section contains 2,725 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)