Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does Neville slice off Voldemort's snake's head?
2. What does Harry see as he is keeping watch at their camp?
3. Why does Harry cast his Patronis?
4. To whom does Harry speak about the whereabouts of the diadem?
5. Why does Xenophilius turn in Harry?
Essay Topic 1
In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, there are other sentient beings besides humans, though they seem to have a lesser status than humans. Discuss the following:
1. List and describe all the sentient and non-human beings.
2. Why do you think most of the the non-human and sentient beings are accorded lesser status? Is it fair? Are they inferior to human beings?
3. Are there any characters who seem to accord the non-human and sentient beings equal status with their own? Who? If not, why not?
4. Why do you think Rowlings creates a world where non-humans are of lesser status?
Essay Topic 2
In the world of academe, fantasy is often considered an inferior form of the novel compared to "classic" literature. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think fantasy might be considered second-rate compared to the classics?
2. Do you think fantasy has the same elements as the classics? Why or why not?
3. What are the purposes do you think for people reading "the classics?" What are the purposed for people reading fantasy? Is one purpose better than another? Explain your response.
4. Would you read fantasy even outside an educational setting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)