|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Griphook demand for his help to break into Gringotts?
2. Why does Harry cast his Patronis?
3. Why won't Ron be able to find Harry and Hermione once they leave camp?
4. What have Ron and Hermione been doing as Harry is searching for the diadem?
5. What does Harry want Griphook to do?
Essay Topic 1
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws and Harry Potter is no exception.
1. Trace and analyze situations when Potter demonstrates his instinct for handling problems that might be beyond the ability of a seventeen-year-old boy. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze Potter's character flaws and explain how they create a more complex and believable character. How do you think Potter's character flaws make some situations more difficult for him?
3. After analyzing Potter's strengths and weaknesses, decide if Dumbledore is right in selecting Potter to be the "hero" of the story. Is there anyone else who might have done a better job?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, as in many fantasy books, magic is an integral part of the story. Discuss the following:
1. Define and analyze the principles and use of magic in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Who can use it? Are there limitations? Can magic accomplish anything? Are there things that are forbidden to do?
2. How has Voldemort violated the restrictions put on the use of magic? Do you think the restrictions are just or wise?
3. Are all magic users equally strong? Why do you think a wand is required to use the magic?
4. Name and explain four of the spells used in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
This section contains 2,782 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)