|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whose child does Harry become godfather?
2. Who dies when Harry, Ron and Hermione and others escape?
3. Why does Bill take the Weasley family away from the Burrow?
4. Why won't Ron be able to find Harry and Hermione once they leave camp?
5. Which of the Weasley males is killed in the fighting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ron ask Harry to stop saying Voldemort's name out loud?
2. Describe how Harry ends up with the Sword of Gryffindor.
3. What does Dumbledore tell Harry about Voldemort and Harry's connection?
4. After jumping off the dragon, what does Harry see with his connection with Voldemort?
5. In what room do Harry, Hermione, Ron and other allies gather?
6. What does Alberforth Dumbledore tell Harry, Hermione and Ron about his sister, Ariana?
7. How do Harry, Ron and Hermione escape from Gringotts after being discovered?
8. How is Harry repaid from a previous mercy he showed Wormtail?
9. What does Harry tell Voldemort about Snape and the Elder Wand?
10. What does Harry learn about Severius Snape when Harry uses the Pensieve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Harry Potter, the main hero is a male, as in a large percentage of novels. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think novels more often have a male hero than a female one?
2. Do you believe Hermione is as capable than Harry or Ron? Would the novel be as interesting to you if she were the one that was to defeat Voldemort? Why or why not.
3. Do you think females (in the real world) are just as likely and capable as males to be heroes? Why or why not.
4. Would you rather read a book with a male or female hero or do you have a preference. Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Harry Potter's world to that of "real" life. What are the advantages to each world? The disadvantages?
2. In which world would you rather live in if you possess no magical abilities? Explain your response.
3. In which world would you rather live in if you possess magical abilities and Voldemort is the ruler of the world where you could practice magic? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, like many, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,486 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)