|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Parseltongue?
2. About what is the "Tale of the Three Brothers"?
3. What does Harry want Griphook to do?
4. How do Harry and Hermione escape Bathilda's home?
5. Who is Fenrir Greyback?
Essay Topic 1
In the world of academe, fantasy is often considered an inferior form of the novel compared to "classic" literature. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think fantasy might be considered second-rate compared to the classics?
2. Do you think fantasy has the same elements as the classics? Why or why not?
3. What are the purposes do you think for people reading "the classics?" What are the purposed for people reading fantasy? Is one purpose better than another? Explain your response.
4. Would you read fantasy even outside an educational setting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws and Harry Potter is no exception.
1. Trace and analyze situations when Potter demonstrates his instinct for handling problems that might be beyond the ability of a seventeen-year-old boy. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze Potter's character flaws and explain how they create a more complex and believable character. How do you think Potter's character flaws make some situations more difficult for him?
3. After analyzing Potter's strengths and weaknesses, decide if Dumbledore is right in selecting Potter to be the "hero" of the story. Is there anyone else who might have done a better job?
Essay Topic 3
In Harry Potter, the main hero is a male, as in a large percentage of novels. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think novels more often have a male hero than a female one?
2. Do you believe Hermione is as capable than Harry or Ron? Would the novel be as interesting to you if she were the one that was to defeat Voldemort? Why or why not.
3. Do you think females (in the real world) are just as likely and capable as males to be heroes? Why or why not.
4. Would you rather read a book with a male or female hero or do you have a preference. Explain your response.
This section contains 2,752 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)