|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Voldemort killed?
2. About what do Harry, Ron and Hermione question Ollivander?
3. Who was the last owner of the Elder wand?
4. About what is the "Tale of the Three Brothers"?
5. What does Hermione want to ask Xenophilius Lovegood?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Harry repaid from a previous mercy he showed Wormtail?
2. What does Dumbledore tell Harry about Voldemort and Harry's connection?
3. How do Harry, Ron and Hermione escape from Gringotts after being discovered?
4. Briefly related the "Tale of the Three Brothers."
5. After jumping off the dragon, what does Harry see with his connection with Voldemort?
6. Describe Harry's "death."
7. Who do Harry, Ron and Hermione question about the Elder wand?
8. Describe the encounter with Crabbe, Goyle and Draco and the destruction of the diadem.
9. What is the agreement Harry and Griphook make?
10. Describe how Harry ends up with the Sword of Gryffindor.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the books that came earlier in the Harry Potter series, Albus Dumbledore is portrayed as extremely wise, good, powerful and always making the right choices. In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, readers begin seeing the "shadow" side to Albus Dumbledore. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze what is known and revealed about Albus Dumbledore in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Does the information about his younger life make him less of a hero or good person? Why or why not? Does he seem more real after the revelations? Why or why not?
2. Who in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows seems to be the most complex character? Why? Does s/he have both a good and shadow side? Explore that character fully, comparing and contrasting him/her different facets to his/her personality.
3. Is Voldemort a rounded or flat character? Explain.
4. Does reading the last book in a series of seven make it difficult to see the characters as rounded since much of who they are is revealed in earlier books? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is one book in a series of novels involving Harry Potter and many of the other characters.
1. What are two advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are two disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, there are other sentient beings besides humans, though they seem to have a lesser status than humans. Discuss the following:
1. List and describe all the sentient and non-human beings.
2. Why do you think most of the the non-human and sentient beings are accorded lesser status? Is it fair? Are they inferior to human beings?
3. Are there any characters who seem to accord the non-human and sentient beings equal status with their own? Who? If not, why not?
4. Why do you think Rowlings creates a world where non-humans are of lesser status?
This section contains 1,486 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)