|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does Neville slice off Voldemort's snake's head?
2. What does Snape have Harry take as Snape is dying?
3. What happens when the three apperate?
4. What leaves a scar on Harry's chest?
5. Why does Harry cast his Patronis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is a successful novel. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
3. Do you think the fact that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows falls within the genre of fantasy changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
In Harry Potter, the main hero is a male, as in a large percentage of novels. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think novels more often have a male hero than a female one?
2. Do you believe Hermione is as capable than Harry or Ron? Would the novel be as interesting to you if she were the one that was to defeat Voldemort? Why or why not.
3. Do you think females (in the real world) are just as likely and capable as males to be heroes? Why or why not.
4. Would you rather read a book with a male or female hero or do you have a preference. Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of instances of foreshadowing in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. For many of those instances, readers will suspect that they hint at something to come; others, the readers may not be aware until the event which is foreshadowed occurs. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term foreshadow. Why do you think authors foreshadow a future event? What might be a reader's reaction to a sudden tragic or wonderful event if there were no hints whatsoever that it might occur?
2. Find four events that are foreshadowed in previous chapters and pair up the foreshadowing text with the event. Analyze each event to include the following questions. What is foreshadowed? Is the method Rawlings uses to foreshadow effective? Did you guess when a particular text was foreshadowing a future event? Did you guess what the event is?
3. Along with foreshadowing, symbolism usually plays a role in most works of fiction? How extensive is the use of symbolism in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows? Is there enough symbolism to add depth to the writing? Interest to the writing? Explain your statements with examples.
This section contains 2,744 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)