|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whose child does Harry become godfather?
2. What leaves a scar on Harry's chest?
3. Who did Dumbledore mean to have the Elder Wand?
4. What happens when the three apperate?
5. How does Harry fix his wand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Severius Snape.
2. In what room do Harry, Hermione, Ron and other allies gather?
3. How does Ron find Harry and Hermione?
4. How is Harry repaid from a previous mercy he showed Wormtail?
5. What does Alberforth Dumbledore tell Harry, Hermione and Ron about his sister, Ariana?
6. What does Harry learn about the diadem as others are fighting the Death Eaters at Hogwarts?
7. Describe the encounter with Crabbe, Goyle and Draco and the destruction of the diadem.
8. Who do Harry, Ron and Hermione question about the Elder wand?
9. What does Professor McGonagall and the other teachers do as Harry begins his search for the diadem?
10. What does Harry figure out about the Elder wand and what does he see Voldemort do in relation to the Elder wand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, there are other sentient beings besides humans, though they seem to have a lesser status than humans. Discuss the following:
1. List and describe all the sentient and non-human beings.
2. Why do you think most of the the non-human and sentient beings are accorded lesser status? Is it fair? Are they inferior to human beings?
3. Are there any characters who seem to accord the non-human and sentient beings equal status with their own? Who? If not, why not?
4. Why do you think Rowlings creates a world where non-humans are of lesser status?
Essay Topic 2
Loyalty is demonstrated in a number of ways, as is the lack of loyalty. Though Harry Potter has decided to not return to Hogwarts and to embark upon a dangerous mission, his best friends, Hermione and Ron decide to join him. Though Potter appreciates their loyalty, he tries to dissuade them to no avail. Discuss the following:
1. How do you define loyalty? Is the ability and desire to be loyal an admirable trait in humans? Why or why not? What are the advantages and disadvantages of being loyal to a person? Cause? Country? Idea? What of those who are loyal to something no matter what they learn about that person, thing, ideal, or country or in other words, blind loyalty.
2. Discuss and analyze why you think Ron and Hermione are loyal to Harry. Is it warranted? Wise? Earned? What other instances of loyalty occur in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows? Is Bellatrix's loyalty to Voldemort admirable?
3. What other admirable traits besides loyalty occur in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows? Discuss fully two of those traits with specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,567 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)