|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is carried off by giant spiders?
2. What does Snape have Harry take as Snape is dying?
3. What does Ron want Harry to stop doing?
4. What does Harry realize is inside the snitch?
5. About what do Harry, Ron and Hermione question Ollivander?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Harry, Ron and Hermione come to be captured by Snatchers?
2. Describe the encounter with Nagini.
3. What does Dumbledore tell Harry about Voldemort and Harry's connection?
4. Describe how Harry ends up with the Sword of Gryffindor.
5. What does Harry learn about the diadem as others are fighting the Death Eaters at Hogwarts?
6. After jumping off the dragon, what does Harry see with his connection with Voldemort?
7. What does Harry tell Voldemort about Snape and the Elder Wand?
8. Describe the encounter with Crabbe, Goyle and Draco and the destruction of the diadem.
9. Why does Ron ask Harry to stop saying Voldemort's name out loud?
10. How do Harry, Ron and Hermione escape from Gringotts after being discovered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is a successful novel. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
3. Do you think the fact that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows falls within the genre of fantasy changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is one book in a series of novels involving Harry Potter and many of the other characters.
1. What are two advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are two disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,348 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)