|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long are the people at Hogwarts given to turn over Harry Potter to Voldemort before he starts killing people?
2. Why does Harry cast his Patronis?
3. Who does Hermione impersonate with polyjuice?
4. Who delays Ron from returning to Harry and Hermione?
5. What does Ollivander say is real?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alberforth Dumbledore tell Harry, Hermione and Ron about his sister, Ariana?
2. What is the agreement Harry and Griphook make?
3. What does Professor McGonagall and the other teachers do as Harry begins his search for the diadem?
4. What does Harry learn about the diadem as others are fighting the Death Eaters at Hogwarts?
5. Describe the encounter with Crabbe, Goyle and Draco and the destruction of the diadem.
6. In what room do Harry, Hermione, Ron and other allies gather?
7. What does Harry learn about Severius Snape when Harry uses the Pensieve?
8. Sum up the status of Harry, Hermione and Ron nineteen years later.
9. How does Ron find Harry and Hermione?
10. Briefly related the "Tale of the Three Brothers."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Loyalty is demonstrated in a number of ways, as is the lack of loyalty. Though Harry Potter has decided to not return to Hogwarts and to embark upon a dangerous mission, his best friends, Hermione and Ron decide to join him. Though Potter appreciates their loyalty, he tries to dissuade them to no avail. Discuss the following:
1. How do you define loyalty? Is the ability and desire to be loyal an admirable trait in humans? Why or why not? What are the advantages and disadvantages of being loyal to a person? Cause? Country? Idea? What of those who are loyal to something no matter what they learn about that person, thing, ideal, or country or in other words, blind loyalty.
2. Discuss and analyze why you think Ron and Hermione are loyal to Harry. Is it warranted? Wise? Earned? What other instances of loyalty occur in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows? Is Bellatrix's loyalty to Voldemort admirable?
3. What other admirable traits besides loyalty occur in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows? Discuss fully two of those traits with specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, like many, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, there are other sentient beings besides humans, though they seem to have a lesser status than humans. Discuss the following:
1. List and describe all the sentient and non-human beings.
2. Why do you think most of the the non-human and sentient beings are accorded lesser status? Is it fair? Are they inferior to human beings?
3. Are there any characters who seem to accord the non-human and sentient beings equal status with their own? Who? If not, why not?
4. Why do you think Rowlings creates a world where non-humans are of lesser status?
This section contains 1,649 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)