|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ron recover in the pond?
2. What does Harry tell Neville as Harry is walking away from Hogwarts?
3. What does Narcissa ask Harry?
4. Where has Xenophilius been sent?
5. Who was the last owner of the Elder wand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Harry ends up with the Sword of Gryffindor.
2. What does Harry tell Voldemort about Snape and the Elder Wand?
3. What does Professor McGonagall and the other teachers do as Harry begins his search for the diadem?
4. Describe the encounter with Nagini.
5. How does Ron find Harry and Hermione?
6. How is Harry repaid from a previous mercy he showed Wormtail?
7. How do Harry, Ron and Hermione escape from Gringotts after being discovered?
8. Describe Harry's "death."
9. What does Harry learn about the diadem as others are fighting the Death Eaters at Hogwarts?
10. In what room do Harry, Hermione, Ron and other allies gather?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Harry Potter's world to that of "real" life. What are the advantages to each world? The disadvantages?
2. In which world would you rather live in if you possess no magical abilities? Explain your response.
3. In which world would you rather live in if you possess magical abilities and Voldemort is the ruler of the world where you could practice magic? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation of Harry saving Draco and then Harry is saved by Draco's mother. Find two other instances of irony and analyze them.
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use of and meaning of five symbols you choose to analyze from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. What do they symbolize? Is the symbolism obvious? Effective? Does the symbolism contribute to the enjoyment of reading?
3. Discuss five literary devices that occur in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and how they are used. Are they effective? Do they add or detract from the reading of the book? Why or why not. Some possible devices: Allusion, connotation, denouement, dialogue, flashback, figurative language, motif, metaphor, narrator, point of view, simile, mood, and puns.
Essay Topic 3
In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, as in many fantasy books, magic is an integral part of the story. Discuss the following:
1. Define and analyze the principles and use of magic in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Who can use it? Are there limitations? Can magic accomplish anything? Are there things that are forbidden to do?
2. How has Voldemort violated the restrictions put on the use of magic? Do you think the restrictions are just or wise?
3. Are all magic users equally strong? Why do you think a wand is required to use the magic?
4. Name and explain four of the spells used in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
This section contains 1,372 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)