Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does Neville slice off Voldemort's snake's head?
2. What does Harry see as he is keeping watch at their camp?
3. Why does Harry cast his Patronis?
4. To whom does Harry speak about the whereabouts of the diadem?
5. Why does Xenophilius turn in Harry?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is a successful novel. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
3. Do you think the fact that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows falls within the genre of fantasy changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of instances of foreshadowing in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. For many of those instances, readers will suspect that they hint at something to come; others, the readers may not be aware until the event which is foreshadowed occurs. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term foreshadow. Why do you think authors foreshadow a future event? What might be a reader's reaction to a sudden tragic or wonderful event if there were no hints whatsoever that it might occur?
2. Find four events that are foreshadowed in previous chapters and pair up the foreshadowing text with the event. Analyze each event to include the following questions. What is foreshadowed? Is the method Rawlings uses to foreshadow effective? Did you guess when a particular text was foreshadowing a future event? Did you guess what the event is?
3. Along with foreshadowing, symbolism usually plays a role in most works of fiction? How extensive is the use of symbolism in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows? Is there enough symbolism to add depth to the writing? Interest to the writing? Explain your statements with examples.
Essay Topic 3
In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, as in many fantasy books, magic is an integral part of the story. Discuss the following:
1. Define and analyze the principles and use of magic in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Who can use it? Are there limitations? Can magic accomplish anything? Are there things that are forbidden to do?
2. How has Voldemort violated the restrictions put on the use of magic? Do you think the restrictions are just or wise?
3. Are all magic users equally strong? Why do you think a wand is required to use the magic?
4. Name and explain four of the spells used in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)