|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Harry, Ron and Hermione get off the dragon's back?
2. Where has Xenophilius been sent?
3. How do Ron, Hermione and Harry help Xenophilius?
4. Who took the second page of Lily Potter's letter from Grimmauld Place?
5. Who does Ariana return with to the tavern?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Harry's "death."
2. What happens to Severius Snape.
3. What does Alberforth Dumbledore tell Harry, Hermione and Ron about his sister, Ariana?
4. What does Professor McGonagall and the other teachers do as Harry begins his search for the diadem?
5. Briefly related the "Tale of the Three Brothers."
6. How does Ron find Harry and Hermione?
7. Describe the encounter with Crabbe, Goyle and Draco and the destruction of the diadem.
8. In what room do Harry, Hermione, Ron and other allies gather?
9. What does Dumbledore tell Harry about Voldemort and Harry's connection?
10. Sum up the status of Harry, Hermione and Ron nineteen years later.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is a successful novel. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
3. Do you think the fact that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows falls within the genre of fantasy changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, there are other sentient beings besides humans, though they seem to have a lesser status than humans. Discuss the following:
1. List and describe all the sentient and non-human beings.
2. Why do you think most of the the non-human and sentient beings are accorded lesser status? Is it fair? Are they inferior to human beings?
3. Are there any characters who seem to accord the non-human and sentient beings equal status with their own? Who? If not, why not?
4. Why do you think Rowlings creates a world where non-humans are of lesser status?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Harry Potter's world to that of "real" life. What are the advantages to each world? The disadvantages?
2. In which world would you rather live in if you possess no magical abilities? Explain your response.
3. In which world would you rather live in if you possess magical abilities and Voldemort is the ruler of the world where you could practice magic? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,396 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)