|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nature of Harry's messenger?
2. For what is Mary Cattermole on trial?
3. Who is in the most danger on the venture to move Harry Potter safely?
4. Who are the Harry impersonators?
5. Who tells Voldemort that he no longer has what Voldemort is looking for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Viktor Krum and why does he get upset when he sees Xenophilius Lovegood?
2. Who writes an unflattering book about Albus Dumbledore and what does the writer say about Dumbledore?
3. Who arrives at Grimmauld Place and what does he tell the Harry, Hermione, and Ron?
4. What is a Horocrux and how is one destroyed? Does this present any problems for the three young people?
5. What are some things Harry packs as he prepares to leave his Uncle's house?
6. Upon what do Harry and Hermione disagree?
7. What advice does Lupin give Harry and what is Harry's response?
8. What does Kreacher relate to the trio about the locket?
9. What are the articles about that Harry is reading, and why do his reading disturb him?
10. What do Harry, Ron and Hermione plan and why does this upset Ron's mother ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
In Harry Potter, the main hero is a male, as in a large percentage of novels. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think novels more often have a male hero than a female one?
2. Do you believe Hermione is as capable than Harry or Ron? Would the novel be as interesting to you if she were the one that was to defeat Voldemort? Why or why not.
3. Do you think females (in the real world) are just as likely and capable as males to be heroes? Why or why not.
4. Would you rather read a book with a male or female hero or do you have a preference. Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws and Harry Potter is no exception.
1. Trace and analyze situations when Potter demonstrates his instinct for handling problems that might be beyond the ability of a seventeen-year-old boy. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze Potter's character flaws and explain how they create a more complex and believable character. How do you think Potter's character flaws make some situations more difficult for him?
3. After analyzing Potter's strengths and weaknesses, decide if Dumbledore is right in selecting Potter to be the "hero" of the story. Is there anyone else who might have done a better job?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)