|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Nagini?
2. Who is present against his will?
3. For what is Mary Cattermole on trial?
4. About what is Auntie Muriel certain?
5. For what are Ron, Hermione and Harry going to search?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Mr. Weasley's modifications to the motorcycle that Harry and Hagrid are riding both help and hinder their escape?
2. Why is it dangerous for Harry to be leaving his uncle's home this time compared to other times?
3. Who writes an unflattering book about Albus Dumbledore and what does the writer say about Dumbledore?
4. Describe the scene at the Burrow once the Patronus has delivered its news.
5. What does Mundungus tell Harry, Hermione and Ron?
6. What happens right after Harry and Hagrid crash?
7. Who appears at Harry's birthday dinner and what does he want?
8. What spells does Harry use in fighting, and which one gives him away as being the "real" Harry?
9. What happens to Harry, Hermione and Ron as they sit in an empty diner in the muggle world?
10. How does Ron dress their house ghoul and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, as in many fantasy books, magic is an integral part of the story. Discuss the following:
1. Define and analyze the principles and use of magic in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Who can use it? Are there limitations? Can magic accomplish anything? Are there things that are forbidden to do?
2. How has Voldemort violated the restrictions put on the use of magic? Do you think the restrictions are just or wise?
3. Are all magic users equally strong? Why do you think a wand is required to use the magic?
4. Name and explain four of the spells used in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
Essay Topic 2
In the world of academe, fantasy is often considered an inferior form of the novel compared to "classic" literature. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think fantasy might be considered second-rate compared to the classics?
2. Do you think fantasy has the same elements as the classics? Why or why not?
3. What are the purposes do you think for people reading "the classics?" What are the purposed for people reading fantasy? Is one purpose better than another? Explain your response.
4. Would you read fantasy even outside an educational setting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is a successful novel. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
3. Do you think the fact that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows falls within the genre of fantasy changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
This section contains 1,307 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)