|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds Harry?
2. What happens to the crowd at the wedding when the news about the Ministry arrives?
3. What is a portkey?
4. What is of note about Regulus Arcturus Black?
5. Who burns a hole in Harry's shirt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Harry and the others release some of the muggle born people at the Ministry?
2. Who is Viktor Krum and why does he get upset when he sees Xenophilius Lovegood?
3. What is a Horocrux and how is one destroyed? Does this present any problems for the three young people?
4. Why are Harry, Hermione and Ron watching the ministry and how do they finally get into the ministry?
5. What does Dumbledore leave Ron, Hermione and Harry?
6. Who appears at Harry's birthday dinner and what does he want?
7. How does Ron dress their house ghoul and why?
8. How are Harry's escorts divided and who are they?
9. What does Harry learn and find at Delores Umbridge's office?
10. What happens right after Harry and Hagrid crash?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws and Harry Potter is no exception.
1. Trace and analyze situations when Potter demonstrates his instinct for handling problems that might be beyond the ability of a seventeen-year-old boy. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze Potter's character flaws and explain how they create a more complex and believable character. How do you think Potter's character flaws make some situations more difficult for him?
3. After analyzing Potter's strengths and weaknesses, decide if Dumbledore is right in selecting Potter to be the "hero" of the story. Is there anyone else who might have done a better job?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of manipulation and power in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with manipulation and power? Why? What are some symbols of manipulation and power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of sacrifice in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Which characters are willing to sacrifice for the greater good? Why? Which characters seem self centered? Why? What does Harry Potter gain by his sacrifice in chapter 34?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death. How does the world of Harry Potter seem to view death? Who tries to avoid killing? Who seems to kill for frivolous reasons? Who seems afraid of dying? Not afraid? Who meets death gracefully? In resignation? With joy? With fear?
Essay Topic 3
In Harry Potter, the main hero is a male, as in a large percentage of novels. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think novels more often have a male hero than a female one?
2. Do you believe Hermione is as capable than Harry or Ron? Would the novel be as interesting to you if she were the one that was to defeat Voldemort? Why or why not.
3. Do you think females (in the real world) are just as likely and capable as males to be heroes? Why or why not.
4. Would you rather read a book with a male or female hero or do you have a preference. Explain your response.
This section contains 1,328 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)