|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harry see when his scar starts hurting?
2. Who broke Albus's nose during his sister's funeral?
3. Who is named headmaster at Hogwarts?
4. Of what does Harry remind Hermione and Ron?
5. According to something Harry finds, who has been talking to Harry's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mundungus tell Harry, Hermione and Ron?
2. What is a Horocrux and how is one destroyed? Does this present any problems for the three young people?
3. How do Mr. Weasley's modifications to the motorcycle that Harry and Hagrid are riding both help and hinder their escape?
4. How do Harry and the others release some of the muggle born people at the Ministry?
5. What happens right after Harry and Hagrid crash?
6. Who arrives at Grimmauld Place and what does he tell the Harry, Hermione, and Ron?
7. Who appears at Harry's birthday dinner and what does he want?
8. How does Ron dress their house ghoul and why?
9. What does Harry learn when he looks into Voldemort's mind?
10. What are some things Harry packs as he prepares to leave his Uncle's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, as in many fantasy books, magic is an integral part of the story. Discuss the following:
1. Define and analyze the principles and use of magic in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Who can use it? Are there limitations? Can magic accomplish anything? Are there things that are forbidden to do?
2. How has Voldemort violated the restrictions put on the use of magic? Do you think the restrictions are just or wise?
3. Are all magic users equally strong? Why do you think a wand is required to use the magic?
4. Name and explain four of the spells used in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
Essay Topic 3
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws and Harry Potter is no exception.
1. Trace and analyze situations when Potter demonstrates his instinct for handling problems that might be beyond the ability of a seventeen-year-old boy. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze Potter's character flaws and explain how they create a more complex and believable character. How do you think Potter's character flaws make some situations more difficult for him?
3. After analyzing Potter's strengths and weaknesses, decide if Dumbledore is right in selecting Potter to be the "hero" of the story. Is there anyone else who might have done a better job?
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)