|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Harry remind Hermione and Ron?
2. What is of note about Regulus Arcturus Black?
3. Where does Dumbledore's family move after his father goes to Azkaban?
4. Who is Grindelwald?
5. Where do Ron, Harry, and Hermione go?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads to a burn hole in Harry's shirt?
2. What does Harry see when his connection with Voldemort is opened and what does Hermione say about Harry being able to see Voldemort?
3. What do Harry and Hermione learn about the Sword of Gryffindor?
4. What are the articles about that Harry is reading, and why do his reading disturb him?
5. Who writes an unflattering book about Albus Dumbledore and what does the writer say about Dumbledore?
6. How do Mr. Weasley's modifications to the motorcycle that Harry and Hagrid are riding both help and hinder their escape?
7. What two things does Harry find when he goes to Grimmauld Place?
8. Why is it dangerous for Harry to be leaving his uncle's home this time compared to other times?
9. What does Voldemort learn from Gregorovitch?
10. What arrives during the reception and what is the message?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Harry Potter, the main hero is a male, as in a large percentage of novels. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think novels more often have a male hero than a female one?
2. Do you believe Hermione is as capable than Harry or Ron? Would the novel be as interesting to you if she were the one that was to defeat Voldemort? Why or why not.
3. Do you think females (in the real world) are just as likely and capable as males to be heroes? Why or why not.
4. Would you rather read a book with a male or female hero or do you have a preference. Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, there are other sentient beings besides humans, though they seem to have a lesser status than humans. Discuss the following:
1. List and describe all the sentient and non-human beings.
2. Why do you think most of the the non-human and sentient beings are accorded lesser status? Is it fair? Are they inferior to human beings?
3. Are there any characters who seem to accord the non-human and sentient beings equal status with their own? Who? If not, why not?
4. Why do you think Rowlings creates a world where non-humans are of lesser status?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of manipulation and power in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with manipulation and power? Why? What are some symbols of manipulation and power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of sacrifice in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Which characters are willing to sacrifice for the greater good? Why? Which characters seem self centered? Why? What does Harry Potter gain by his sacrifice in chapter 34?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death. How does the world of Harry Potter seem to view death? Who tries to avoid killing? Who seems to kill for frivolous reasons? Who seems afraid of dying? Not afraid? Who meets death gracefully? In resignation? With joy? With fear?
This section contains 1,364 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)