|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Weasley's Patronus say?
2. What do Harry, Ron, and Hermione begin doing at Ron's house?
3. Where is Harry to ride when leaving home?
4. What shows the location of every person physically present at Hogwarts?
5. Why does Mrs. Weasley keep Ron, Harry and Hermione separated as much as possible?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who writes an unflattering book about Albus Dumbledore and what does the writer say about Dumbledore?
2. What does Harry learn and find at Delores Umbridge's office?
3. What happens right after Harry and Hagrid crash?
4. Who arrives at Grimmauld Place and what does he tell the Harry, Hermione, and Ron?
5. What do Harry, Ron and Hermione plan and why does this upset Ron's mother ?
6. What does Mundungus tell Harry, Hermione and Ron?
7. Describe Harry Potter.
8. What does Kreacher relate to the trio about the locket?
9. What does Voldemort learn from Gregorovitch?
10. Describe the meeting between Voldemort and his Death Eaters.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, there are other sentient beings besides humans, though they seem to have a lesser status than humans. Discuss the following:
1. List and describe all the sentient and non-human beings.
2. Why do you think most of the the non-human and sentient beings are accorded lesser status? Is it fair? Are they inferior to human beings?
3. Are there any characters who seem to accord the non-human and sentient beings equal status with their own? Who? If not, why not?
4. Why do you think Rowlings creates a world where non-humans are of lesser status?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation of Harry saving Draco and then Harry is saved by Draco's mother. Find two other instances of irony and analyze them.
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use of and meaning of five symbols you choose to analyze from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. What do they symbolize? Is the symbolism obvious? Effective? Does the symbolism contribute to the enjoyment of reading?
3. Discuss five literary devices that occur in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and how they are used. Are they effective? Do they add or detract from the reading of the book? Why or why not. Some possible devices: Allusion, connotation, denouement, dialogue, flashback, figurative language, motif, metaphor, narrator, point of view, simile, mood, and puns.
Essay Topic 3
In the world of academe, fantasy is often considered an inferior form of the novel compared to "classic" literature. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think fantasy might be considered second-rate compared to the classics?
2. Do you think fantasy has the same elements as the classics? Why or why not?
3. What are the purposes do you think for people reading "the classics?" What are the purposed for people reading fantasy? Is one purpose better than another? Explain your response.
4. Would you read fantasy even outside an educational setting? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,512 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)