|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the crowd at the wedding when the news about the Ministry arrives?
2. Who finds Harry?
3. What does Harry remove from Umbridge's door?
4. What is a portkey?
5. What does Harry tell Tonk's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene at the Burrow once the Patronus has delivered its news.
2. How do Harry and the others release some of the muggle born people at the Ministry?
3. What does Dumbledore leave Ron, Hermione and Harry?
4. How do Harry's escorts plan to confuse the Death Eaters when Harry and the escorts leave Privet Drive, and what does Harry think of the plan?
5. What leads to a burn hole in Harry's shirt?
6. What advice does Lupin give Harry and what is Harry's response?
7. Who appears at Harry's birthday dinner and what does he want?
8. How does Ron dress their house ghoul and why?
9. What do Harry and Hermione learn about the Sword of Gryffindor?
10. What does Harry learn and find at Delores Umbridge's office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, as in many fantasy books, magic is an integral part of the story. Discuss the following:
1. Define and analyze the principles and use of magic in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Who can use it? Are there limitations? Can magic accomplish anything? Are there things that are forbidden to do?
2. How has Voldemort violated the restrictions put on the use of magic? Do you think the restrictions are just or wise?
3. Are all magic users equally strong? Why do you think a wand is required to use the magic?
4. Name and explain four of the spells used in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
Essay Topic 2
Harry Potter is in some ways a larger-than-life hero. Despite incredible odds, he usually comes out on top, in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and in the other books in the series. Discuss the following:
1. Does having a larger-than-life hero make that person less of a hero? In other words, is a hero who ultimately always "lands on his feet," or one who strives against impossible odds and does not succeed more admirable?
2. Does a character have to be successful in order to be a hero? Explain your answer.
3. Choose one other character besides Potter who you might call a hero or heroine and explain why you choose that person.
4. Does every work of fiction have to have a hero? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, there are other sentient beings besides humans, though they seem to have a lesser status than humans. Discuss the following:
1. List and describe all the sentient and non-human beings.
2. Why do you think most of the the non-human and sentient beings are accorded lesser status? Is it fair? Are they inferior to human beings?
3. Are there any characters who seem to accord the non-human and sentient beings equal status with their own? Who? If not, why not?
4. Why do you think Rowlings creates a world where non-humans are of lesser status?
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)