|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the scar say that Harry bears from Scrimegeour?
2. What has happened to the protective barriers around the Burrow?
3. About what is Auntie Muriel certain?
4. What does Voldemort feed Nagini?
5. What is Lovegood wearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dumbledore leave Ron, Hermione and Harry?
2. What do Harry, Ron and Hermione plan and why does this upset Ron's mother ?
3. Describe the meeting between Voldemort and his Death Eaters.
4. Who writes an unflattering book about Albus Dumbledore and what does the writer say about Dumbledore?
5. What happens to Harry, Hermione and Ron as they sit in an empty diner in the muggle world?
6. What spells does Harry use in fighting, and which one gives him away as being the "real" Harry?
7. What are the articles about that Harry is reading, and why do his reading disturb him?
8. Describe the scene at the Burrow once the Patronus has delivered its news.
9. Where do Harry and Hagrid go after recovering from the crash and how do they get there?
10. Why are Harry, Hermione and Ron watching the ministry and how do they finally get into the ministry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the world of academe, fantasy is often considered an inferior form of the novel compared to "classic" literature. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think fantasy might be considered second-rate compared to the classics?
2. Do you think fantasy has the same elements as the classics? Why or why not?
3. What are the purposes do you think for people reading "the classics?" What are the purposed for people reading fantasy? Is one purpose better than another? Explain your response.
4. Would you read fantasy even outside an educational setting? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Loyalty is demonstrated in a number of ways, as is the lack of loyalty. Though Harry Potter has decided to not return to Hogwarts and to embark upon a dangerous mission, his best friends, Hermione and Ron decide to join him. Though Potter appreciates their loyalty, he tries to dissuade them to no avail. Discuss the following:
1. How do you define loyalty? Is the ability and desire to be loyal an admirable trait in humans? Why or why not? What are the advantages and disadvantages of being loyal to a person? Cause? Country? Idea? What of those who are loyal to something no matter what they learn about that person, thing, ideal, or country or in other words, blind loyalty.
2. Discuss and analyze why you think Ron and Hermione are loyal to Harry. Is it warranted? Wise? Earned? What other instances of loyalty occur in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows? Is Bellatrix's loyalty to Voldemort admirable?
3. What other admirable traits besides loyalty occur in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows? Discuss fully two of those traits with specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, as in many fantasy books, magic is an integral part of the story. Discuss the following:
1. Define and analyze the principles and use of magic in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Who can use it? Are there limitations? Can magic accomplish anything? Are there things that are forbidden to do?
2. How has Voldemort violated the restrictions put on the use of magic? Do you think the restrictions are just or wise?
3. Are all magic users equally strong? Why do you think a wand is required to use the magic?
4. Name and explain four of the spells used in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
This section contains 1,425 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)