|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Patronus tell the wedding party?
2. What is one way to destroy a Horcurx?
3. Why does Lupin ask Harry a question only Harry would know?
4. What is a thestral?
5. What has happened to the protective barriers around the Burrow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mundungus tell Harry, Hermione and Ron?
2. What does Dumbledore leave Ron, Hermione and Harry?
3. What are some things Harry packs as he prepares to leave his Uncle's house?
4. How are Harry's escorts divided and who are they?
5. Who writes an unflattering book about Albus Dumbledore and what does the writer say about Dumbledore?
6. How does Ron dress their house ghoul and why?
7. What two things does Harry find when he goes to Grimmauld Place?
8. What does Harry learn and find at Delores Umbridge's office?
9. How do Harry and the others release some of the muggle born people at the Ministry?
10. What do Harry and Hermione learn about the Sword of Gryffindor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of manipulation and power in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with manipulation and power? Why? What are some symbols of manipulation and power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of sacrifice in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Which characters are willing to sacrifice for the greater good? Why? Which characters seem self centered? Why? What does Harry Potter gain by his sacrifice in chapter 34?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death. How does the world of Harry Potter seem to view death? Who tries to avoid killing? Who seems to kill for frivolous reasons? Who seems afraid of dying? Not afraid? Who meets death gracefully? In resignation? With joy? With fear?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Harry Potter's world to that of "real" life. What are the advantages to each world? The disadvantages?
2. In which world would you rather live in if you possess no magical abilities? Explain your response.
3. In which world would you rather live in if you possess magical abilities and Voldemort is the ruler of the world where you could practice magic? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation of Harry saving Draco and then Harry is saved by Draco's mother. Find two other instances of irony and analyze them.
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use of and meaning of five symbols you choose to analyze from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. What do they symbolize? Is the symbolism obvious? Effective? Does the symbolism contribute to the enjoyment of reading?
3. Discuss five literary devices that occur in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and how they are used. Are they effective? Do they add or detract from the reading of the book? Why or why not. Some possible devices: Allusion, connotation, denouement, dialogue, flashback, figurative language, motif, metaphor, narrator, point of view, simile, mood, and puns.
This section contains 1,293 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)