|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Old Rit and Ben were arguing when Harriet arrived with the wagon in Chapter 19: “The Old Folks Go North” because Old Rit wanted to bring what along?
2. By what nickname was Harriet Tubman called by many in 1858, according to the author in Chapter 20: “The Lecture Platform”?
3. Who shot Abraham Lincoln?
4. The letter that Harriet carried and was dated July 6, 1863, was from Colonel Montgomery to whom, in Chapter 22: “The Last Years”?
5. What did Harriet describe drugging the twin babies with when she led a group of fugitives North in her lecture in Chapter 20: “The Lecture Platform”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the abolitionists who helped the slave named Jerry, according to the author’s historical note in Chapter 13: “The Legend of Moses”?
2. What was the first obstacle that Harriet met on her journey North with refugees in Chapter 14: “The Railroad Runs to Canada”?
3. What threat of violence did Harriet make against one of the slaves in Chapter 15: “Go On or Die”? Why?
4. What was Harriet’s objective in returning to Maryland in Chapter 16: “Be Ready to Step on Board”? How did she remit word that she would be arriving?
5. How many trips did Harriet Tubman make to Maryland between 1851 and 1857, according to the author in Chapter 18: “A Wagon Load of Bricks”? Who was she rescuing in November of 1856?
6. How had Harriet’s route changed in her journeys along the Underground Railroad in Chapter 13: “The Legend of Moses”? Why?
7. What was Harriet’s principle reason for returning to Maryland in Chapter 12: “Freedom’s Clothes”? What does the title of the chapter refer to?
8. What was Harriet’s trip North in Chapter 18: “A Wagon Load of Bricks” more difficult than her previous trips? How did she succeed in crossing the river?
9. What did Harriet discover when she arrived at John Tubman’s cabin in Chapter 12: “Freedom’s Clothes”?
10. Who was Harriet helping escape enslavement in the beginning of Chapter 17: “Moses Arrives with Six Passengers”? Where did they stay before leaving the plantation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Harriet’s attempt to run away from Miss Susan in Chapter 5: “Flight.” What had Harriet hoped to accomplish when she first ran? Why did she return? What did she learn from this experience?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Harriet’s friendship with the white woman who helped Harriet escape in Chapter 10: “A Glory Over Everything.” How much was this friendship based on hope and trust? What did Harriet discover about the reality of the Underground Railroad from the woman? What gifts did they exchange?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Harriet Ross’s illness and treatment during her stay with the Cooks. What did Mr. and Mrs. Cook do about Harriet’s condition? How was she treated when she returned to the plantation? What symptoms did Harriet exhibit?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)