|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many trips does the author say Harriet Tubman made into Maryland between 1851 and 1857 to bring out slaves in Chapter 18: “A Wagon Load of Bricks”?
2. Benjamin Ross was described in the records as being how old in Chapter 17: “Moses Arrives with Six Passengers”?
3. Who was the one woman in the group of fugitives that Harriet was helping North in November of 1856 in Chapter 18: “A Wagon Load of Bricks”?
4. Who shot Abraham Lincoln?
5. Who was elected President of the Confederacy in 1861?
Short Essay Questions
1. At whose urging did Harriet begin speaking publicly, according to the author in Chapter 20: “The Lecture Platform”? When and where did this occur?
2. What causes did Harriet Tubman work toward in her later life, according to the author in Chapter 22: “The Last Years”?
3. What was Harriet’s principle reason for returning to Maryland in Chapter 12: “Freedom’s Clothes”? What does the title of the chapter refer to?
4. When was John Brown hanged? What is noted about his execution in the author’s historical note in Chapter 20: “The Lecture Platform”?
5. What letter of Reverend Theodore Parker’s is described in the author’s historical note at the end of Chapter 12: “Freedom’s Clothes”?
6. What was the first obstacle that Harriet met on her journey North with refugees in Chapter 14: “The Railroad Runs to Canada”?
7. What was Harriet’s objective in returning to Maryland in Chapter 16: “Be Ready to Step on Board”? How did she remit word that she would be arriving?
8. What happened to the abolitionists who helped the slave named Jerry, according to the author’s historical note in Chapter 13: “The Legend of Moses”?
9. Who was Harriet going to rescue in Chapter 19: “The Old Folks Go North”? How did she disguise herself?
10. Who was Harriet helping escape enslavement in the beginning of Chapter 17: “Moses Arrives with Six Passengers”? Where did they stay before leaving the plantation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
a. Discuss the narrative structure of Harriet Tubman: Conductor on the Underground Railroad. Is the narrative told in first, second, or third person? In present or past tense? Why do you think the author chose this narrative style?
b. How authentic do you think Petry’s biography is to the truth of Harriet Tubman’s actions, objectives, and character? Upon what information and facts did Ann Petry base her story? How much conjecture do you think is included in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Nat Turner’s rebellion and subsequent execution. How many individuals were killed in the rebellion? How did this event influence the Virginia Assembly? What impact did it have on slave laws and policies elsewhere?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Harriet’s impressions of the runaway slave in Part 7: “Shuck this Corn.” What made this man stand out to Harriet prior to his actual escape? How did the event shape Harriet’s thoughts on the possibility of fleeing slavery?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)