|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Benjamin Ross was described in the records as being how old in Chapter 17: “Moses Arrives with Six Passengers”?
2. How much money did William R. Hughlett pay for Joe Bailey, according to the author in Chapter 18: “A Wagon Load of Bricks”?
3. According to the records taken in Chapter 17: “Moses Arrives with Six Passengers,” John Ross had left behind his wife whose name was what?
4. When was the Fugitive Slave Act enacted in the United States?
5. How many nights after General Robert E. Lee’s surrender was Abraham Lincoln shot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom did Harriet Tubman marry later in life? Where did she live with her husband? How does the author describe Harriet’s death in Chapter 22: “The Last Years”?
2. Where did Harriet and her group of fugitives stay in Rochester, New York, according to the author in Chapter 15: “Go On or Die”? How long was their journey into Canada?
3. Describe Old Ben’s actions and objectives in Chapter 17: “Moses Arrives with Six Passengers.” Why did Old Ben refuse to look at his children?
4. Where did Harriet and her party of fugitives stop in Pennsylvania in Chapter 15: “Go On or Die”? Why?
5. What was Harriet’s objective in returning to Maryland in Chapter 16: “Be Ready to Step on Board”? How did she remit word that she would be arriving?
6. In what capacity did Harriet serve the Union Army during the Civil War?
7. What did Harriet discover when she arrived at John Tubman’s cabin in Chapter 12: “Freedom’s Clothes”?
8. What slave story does the author relate in her historical note at the end of Chapter 16: “Be Ready to Step on Board”?
9. What rumors does the author describe of the figure called “Moses” in Chapter 14: “The Railroad Runs to Canada”?
10. How many trips did Harriet Tubman make to Maryland between 1851 and 1857, according to the author in Chapter 18: “A Wagon Load of Bricks”? Who was she rescuing in November of 1856?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Nat Turner’s rebellion and subsequent execution. How many individuals were killed in the rebellion? How did this event influence the Virginia Assembly? What impact did it have on slave laws and policies elsewhere?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Harriet’s friendship with the white woman who helped Harriet escape in Chapter 10: “A Glory Over Everything.” How much was this friendship based on hope and trust? What did Harriet discover about the reality of the Underground Railroad from the woman? What gifts did they exchange?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history of slavery in the United States. When did the slave trade begin in the Americas? Where were slaves brought from in Africa? When did the concept of abolition arise and who were the main forefathers of this cause? What states had abolished slavery by the time Harriet Ross was born in 1820? Which states had not?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)