|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The escaped slave that Harriet helped flee from the courthouse in Chapter 21: “With the Union Army” was driven rapidly to what location before he went on to the West?
2. Who did Harriet and the fugitives meet when they arrived in Syracuse, New York, in Chapter 15: “Go On or Die”?
3. What was the name of William Henry Ross’s fiancée that he brought with him on the trip North in Chapter 16: “Be Ready to Step on Board”?
4. When the search for Shadrach finally ended, he was sent by the Boston Vigilance Committee where via the Underground Railroad?
5. What was the reward amount posted on the wanted poster that Harriet and the fugitives discovered in their near-escape in Chapter 18: “A Wagon Load of Bricks”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the abolitionists who helped the slave named Jerry, according to the author’s historical note in Chapter 13: “The Legend of Moses”?
2. At whose urging did Harriet begin speaking publicly, according to the author in Chapter 20: “The Lecture Platform”? When and where did this occur?
3. Where did Harriet and her group of fugitives stay in Rochester, New York, according to the author in Chapter 15: “Go On or Die”? How long was their journey into Canada?
4. What letter of Reverend Theodore Parker’s is described in the author’s historical note at the end of Chapter 12: “Freedom’s Clothes”?
5. When was John Brown hanged? What is noted about his execution in the author’s historical note in Chapter 20: “The Lecture Platform”?
6. Describe Old Ben’s actions and objectives in Chapter 17: “Moses Arrives with Six Passengers.” Why did Old Ben refuse to look at his children?
7. How did Harriet maintain the motivations of the refugee slaves in Chapter 14: “The Railroad Runs to Canada”?
8. Where did Harriet take the fleeing fugitive slaves she accompanied in Chapter 19: “The Old Folks Go North”? How did she travel?
9. How many trips did Harriet Tubman make to Maryland between 1851 and 1857, according to the author in Chapter 18: “A Wagon Load of Bricks”? Who was she rescuing in November of 1856?
10. What speech of Abraham Lincoln’s is described in the author’s historical note at the end of Chapter 21: “With the Union Army”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Northwest Ordinance and Thomas Jefferson’s original proposal in 1784 to end slavery in all the territories. This proposal lost in Congress by one vote. Why do you think it lost? How would our nation differ today if that proposal had passed?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Harriet’s “sleeping seizures” and their impact on her actions and objectives following her recovery. How did her condition affect her ability to work on the plantation? How did the overseers treat Harriet? How did these seizures impact the other slaves?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Denmark Vesey and the slave rebellion of 1822. What were the repercussions of this uprising? How many slaves were executed for following Vesey and their participation in the rebellion? How did the event influence slave laws and regulations in the U.S.?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)