|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What runaway slave was arrested and going to trial on April 27, 1860, according to the author in Chapter 21: “With the Union Army”?
2. How many trips does the author say Harriet Tubman made into Maryland between 1851 and 1857 to bring out slaves in Chapter 18: “A Wagon Load of Bricks”?
3. Harriet Tubman was present when who was inaugurated as Governor of Massachusetts in January of 1861?
4. How many nights after General Robert E. Lee’s surrender was Abraham Lincoln shot?
5. Harriet told the slave fugitives about William Garrett where on their journey to Canada in Chapter 14: “The Railroad Runs to Canada”?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was John Brown hanged? What is noted about his execution in the author’s historical note in Chapter 20: “The Lecture Platform”?
2. What was Harriet’s trip North in Chapter 18: “A Wagon Load of Bricks” more difficult than her previous trips? How did she succeed in crossing the river?
3. What slave story does the author relate in her historical note at the end of Chapter 16: “Be Ready to Step on Board”?
4. What threat of violence did Harriet make against one of the slaves in Chapter 15: “Go On or Die”? Why?
5. How had Harriet’s route changed in her journeys along the Underground Railroad in Chapter 13: “The Legend of Moses”? Why?
6. What slave story does the author relate that took place in Boston in Chapter 13: “The Legend of Moses”?
7. Where did Harriet take the fleeing fugitive slaves she accompanied in Chapter 19: “The Old Folks Go North”? How did she travel?
8. What happened to Jacob Jackson’s letter in Chapter 16: “Be Ready to Step on Board”? How did he respond to the situation?
9. What was the first obstacle that Harriet met on her journey North with refugees in Chapter 14: “The Railroad Runs to Canada”?
10. Who was Harriet helping escape enslavement in the beginning of Chapter 17: “Moses Arrives with Six Passengers”? Where did they stay before leaving the plantation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the publication of Freedom’s Journal and its importance in the history of the United States and slavery. Where was Peter Williams, Jr. from and what influence did he have on slave policy in the United States?
Essay Topic 2
Harriet Tubman’s Impact and Influence
a. How many slaves did Harriet Tubman help to escape slavery? What influenced Harriet to return to Maryland and endanger herself in order to help others escape?
b. How did the stories of “Moses,” “Molly Pitcher,” and Harriet Tubman influence the American perspective of slavery? What hope did Harriet Tubman give to other slaves who longed for freedom?
Essay Topic 3
What position did Thomas Jefferson hold on American slavery? How was his original draft of the Declaration of Independence amended? Why? In what ways did the statements in this historic document conflict with the reality of slavery in the country?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)