|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date did Thomas Jefferson die, according to the author’s notes in Chapter 3: “Six Years Old”?
2. On whose plantation was Harriet Tubman born?
3. When did the American Revolutionary War take place?
4. Where did Denmark Vesey and his followers plan to kill all of the white people, according to the narrator in Chapter 2: “The First Years”?
5. How many siblings did Harriet Tubman have in Chapter 4: “Hired Out”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is related in the author’s historical note at the end of Chapter 5: “Flight”? Who was James Clay?
2. Why was Harriet sewing a patchwork quilt in Chapter 9: “The Patchwork Quilt”? What year did she begin her quilt?
3. What principle job did Harriet have while she was hired out at the Cook home in Chapter 4: “Hired Out”? How did Harriet feel about the work?
4. What does “manumission” refer to? How did manumission give hope to the slaves on the plantations during Harriet’s childhood?
5. What were the lasting effects of Harriet’s injury in Chapter 7: “Shuck this Corn”?
6. How does the author describe Harriet’s acquisition of knowledge by the time she was six in Chapter 3: “Six Years Old”? From whom did she gain this knowledge?
7. When and where was Harriet Tubman born? How does the author illustrate this setting in Chapter 1: “The Quarter”?
8. What led to Harriet’s first return trip to Maryland in Chapter 11: “Stranger in a Strange Land”?
9. What events does the author describe in the historical notes at the end of Chapter 1: “The Quarter”?
10. Who was Harriet hired out to after Old Rit had nursed her back to health in Chapter 5: “Flight”? How does the author describe Harriet’s treatment at this home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the story of Tice Davids as discussed in the narrative. How was the story of Tice Davids regarded by those within the slave community? How was the story perceived by the slave owners? What did Harriet gain from this story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the system of slavery in Maryland in 1820. What was “manumission” and why did this concept give hope to the slaves on the Brodas plantation? How did manumission apply to Harriet Ross’s parents, Old Rit and Ben? How did it apply to John Tubman?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the publication of Freedom’s Journal and its importance in the history of the United States and slavery. Where was Peter Williams, Jr. from and what influence did he have on slave policy in the United States?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)