|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On whose plantation was Harriet Tubman born?
2. Who was the secretary of the Philadelphia Vigilance Committee when Harriet first visited it in Chapter 11: “Stranger in a Strange Land”?
3. What ailment did Harriet contract while working for the Cooks in Chapter 4: “Hired Out”?
4. How old was Thomas Jefferson when he died?
5. What twelve-year-old boy does the narrator discuss at the end of Chapter 2: “The First Years”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news influenced Harriet’s second attempt at fleeing in Chapter 10: “A Glory Over Everything”? Where did she go?
2. Why was Harriet sewing a patchwork quilt in Chapter 9: “The Patchwork Quilt”? What year did she begin her quilt?
3. When and where was Harriet Tubman born? How does the author illustrate this setting in Chapter 1: “The Quarter”?
4. What important skills did Old Ben teach Harriet in Chapter 8: “Minta Becomes Harriet”?
5. What does the author describe in her historical note at the end of Chapter 6: “The Underground Road”?
6. How does the author describe Harriet’s acquisition of knowledge by the time she was six in Chapter 3: “Six Years Old”? From whom did she gain this knowledge?
7. Where did Harriet Tubman work in Pennsylvania after her escape from slavery in Chapter 11: “Stranger in a Strange Land”? Who did she meet there?
8. Where was Harriet living in Chapter 6: “The Underground Road”? What was her assigned work duty? How did she feel about it?
9. Who was Harriet hired out to after Old Rit had nursed her back to health in Chapter 5: “Flight”? How does the author describe Harriet’s treatment at this home?
10. How does the author describe the Christmas season in Chapter 3: “Six Years Old”? What were Harriet’s thoughts on this holiday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Harriet’s impressions of the runaway slave in Part 7: “Shuck this Corn.” What made this man stand out to Harriet prior to his actual escape? How did the event shape Harriet’s thoughts on the possibility of fleeing slavery?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Nat Turner’s rebellion and subsequent execution. How many individuals were killed in the rebellion? How did this event influence the Virginia Assembly? What impact did it have on slave laws and policies elsewhere?
Essay Topic 3
The Routes of the Underground Railroad
a. Describe the routes taken by Harriet Tubman from Dorchester County, Maryland, to Pennsylvania, New York, and Canada. How did Harriet’s routes change over time? Why did they change?
b. Describe the other major networks of the Underground Railroad. What was considered one of the heaviest crossing points in Ohio? How far did the Underground Railroad span?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)