|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author in Chapter 8: “Minta Becomes Harriet,” when Harriet would think of running away, what would stop her?
2. The man who was to oversee the plantation after Edward Brodas’s death was a minister where?
3. The narrator says in Chapter 2: “The First Years” that “Like all the other babies in the quarter, Harriet Ross cut her first teeth on” what?
4. What food did Harriet take with her when she fled North alone in Chapter 10: “A Glory Over Everything”?
5. How much money did Harriet pay to a lawyer to look up all of Old Rit’s masters, according to the author in Chapter 9: “The Patchwork Quilt”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What concerns led Harriet to plan an escape in Chapter 10: “A Glory Over Everything”? Who did she bring with her and why?
2. What does the author describe in the historic note at the end of Chapter 3: “Six Years Old”?
3. What ailment did Harriet contract while she was hired out to the Cooks? How did Old Rit respond to Harriet’s condition when she returned to the plantation?
4. What does the term “hired out” mean? When and where was Harriet first hired out from the Brodas plantation?
5. What does “manumission” refer to? How did manumission give hope to the slaves on the plantations during Harriet’s childhood?
6. During what gathering did one of the slaves attempt escape in Chapter 7: “Shuck this Corn”? Where did he run?
7. What principle job did Harriet have while she was hired out at the Cook home in Chapter 4: “Hired Out”? How did Harriet feel about the work?
8. What were the lasting effects of Harriet’s injury in Chapter 7: “Shuck this Corn”?
9. Where was Harriet living in Chapter 6: “The Underground Road”? What was her assigned work duty? How did she feel about it?
10. What gifts and/or items did Harriet exchange with the white woman she first met with after fleeing the Brodas plantation in Chapter 10: “A Glory Over Everything”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harriet Tubman’s Impact and Influence
a. How many slaves did Harriet Tubman help to escape slavery? What influenced Harriet to return to Maryland and endanger herself in order to help others escape?
b. How did the stories of “Moses,” “Molly Pitcher,” and Harriet Tubman influence the American perspective of slavery? What hope did Harriet Tubman give to other slaves who longed for freedom?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the figure of Miss Susan and Harriet’s duties within Miss Susan’s home. How did Harriet feel about this home in comparison to the Cooks’? Who attempted to stand up for Harriet? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The Routes of the Underground Railroad
a. Describe the routes taken by Harriet Tubman from Dorchester County, Maryland, to Pennsylvania, New York, and Canada. How did Harriet’s routes change over time? Why did they change?
b. Describe the other major networks of the Underground Railroad. What was considered one of the heaviest crossing points in Ohio? How far did the Underground Railroad span?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)