|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year was it when the woman wearing the faded sunbonnet stopped and spoke to Harriet in Chapter 10: “A Glory Over Everything”?
2. The man who was to oversee the plantation after Edward Brodas’s death was a minister where?
3. What ailment did Harriet contract while working for the Cooks in Chapter 4: “Hired Out”?
4. When was Thomas Jefferson born?
5. Who was to oversee the plantation after Edward Brodas died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Harriet hired out to after Old Rit had nursed her back to health in Chapter 5: “Flight”? How does the author describe Harriet’s treatment at this home?
2. What does “manumission” refer to? How did manumission give hope to the slaves on the plantations during Harriet’s childhood?
3. By what name was Harriet Tubman called as a child? Who cared for Harriet in her first years, as described by the author in Chapter 2: “The First Years”?
4. What events does the author describe in the historical notes at the end of Chapter 1: “The Quarter”?
5. What ailment did Harriet contract while she was hired out to the Cooks? How did Old Rit respond to Harriet’s condition when she returned to the plantation?
6. Who was Denmark Vesey? What event related to Denmark Vesey occurred when Harriet Tubman was two years old?
7. Where was Harriet living in Chapter 6: “The Underground Road”? What was her assigned work duty? How did she feel about it?
8. What concerns led Harriet to plan an escape in Chapter 10: “A Glory Over Everything”? Who did she bring with her and why?
9. What news influenced Harriet’s second attempt at fleeing in Chapter 10: “A Glory Over Everything”? Where did she go?
10. To whom was Harriet hired out in Chapter 8: “Minta Becomes Harriet”? What were her job duties at this home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history of slavery in the United States. When did the slave trade begin in the Americas? Where were slaves brought from in Africa? When did the concept of abolition arise and who were the main forefathers of this cause? What states had abolished slavery by the time Harriet Ross was born in 1820? Which states had not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Denmark Vesey and the slave rebellion of 1822. What were the repercussions of this uprising? How many slaves were executed for following Vesey and their participation in the rebellion? How did the event influence slave laws and regulations in the U.S.?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the culture, society, and folklore of slaves on the plantations in the 1820s. How were the slaves’ religious beliefs influenced by their European and American owners? What were the societal rules within slave communities? How were weddings conducted and what owner approval was needed for slaves to marry?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)