|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Harriet Ross married to John Tubman?
2. In describing Benjamin Ross, the narrator says in Chapter 3: “Six Years Old,” “All through the plantation, from the Big House to the stables, to the fields, he had a reputation for” what?
3. What ailment did Harriet contract while working for the Cooks in Chapter 4: “Hired Out”?
4. Harriet Tubman was approximately how tall?
5. After Harriet and her brothers turn back from fleeing, she learns they’ve been sold to a slave trader from where in Chapter 10: “A Glory Over Everything”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is related in the author’s historical note at the end of Chapter 5: “Flight”? Who was James Clay?
2. What does the term “hired out” mean? When and where was Harriet first hired out from the Brodas plantation?
3. What concerns led Harriet to plan an escape in Chapter 10: “A Glory Over Everything”? Who did she bring with her and why?
4. What were the lasting effects of Harriet’s injury in Chapter 7: “Shuck this Corn”?
5. Where was Harriet living in Chapter 6: “The Underground Road”? What was her assigned work duty? How did she feel about it?
6. To whom was Harriet hired out in Chapter 8: “Minta Becomes Harriet”? What were her job duties at this home?
7. What stories of runaway slaves did Harriet hear while working at the plantation in Chapter 6: “The Underground Road”?
8. How does the author describe Harriet’s acquisition of knowledge by the time she was six in Chapter 3: “Six Years Old”? From whom did she gain this knowledge?
9. What ailment did Harriet contract while she was hired out to the Cooks? How did Old Rit respond to Harriet’s condition when she returned to the plantation?
10. What important skills did Old Ben teach Harriet in Chapter 8: “Minta Becomes Harriet”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history of child slavery within the United States. In the 17th century, Virginia, followed by other southern colonies, enacted law establishing that children of slave mothers were born into slavery. How were children of slaves dealt with prior to this? What percentages of slaves in the 1800s were children?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history of slavery in the United States. When did the slave trade begin in the Americas? Where were slaves brought from in Africa? When did the concept of abolition arise and who were the main forefathers of this cause? What states had abolished slavery by the time Harriet Ross was born in 1820? Which states had not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the publication of Freedom’s Journal and its importance in the history of the United States and slavery. Where was Peter Williams, Jr. from and what influence did he have on slave policy in the United States?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)