|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Benjamin and John Ross worked for whom in Bucktown in Chapter 16: “Be Ready to Step on Board”?
(a) Eliza Ann Brodins.
(b) George Ticknor Curtis.
(c) Charles Nalle.
(d) Catherine Kane.
2. How old was John Chase described as in the records in Chapter 17: “Moses Arrives with Six Passengers”?
3. The discovery of missing slaves always seemed to happen on what days of the week in Chapter 14: “The Railroad Runs to Canada”?
4. When was Thomas Sims arrested, according to the author in Chapter 13: “The Legend of Moses”?
(a) April 3, 1851.
(b) October 14, 1854.
(c) March 11, 1852.
(d) June 22, 1847.
5. How many trips does the author say Harriet Tubman made into Maryland between 1851 and 1857 to bring out slaves in Chapter 18: “A Wagon Load of Bricks”?
Short Answer Questions
1. What runaway slave was arrested and going to trial on April 27, 1860, according to the author in Chapter 21: “With the Union Army”?
2. What was Millard Fillmore’s title when he received a letter from Reverend Theodore Parker in Chapter 12: “Freedom’s Clothes”?
3. When was Sarah Hopkins Bradford’s book Scenes in the Life of Harriet Tubman published?
4. Who did Harriet describe as “the most famous of the escaped slaves” in Chapter 15: “Go On or Die”?
5. Harriet Tubman returned to Dorchester County in the spring of what year in Chapter 12: “Freedom’s Clothes”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What speech of Abraham Lincoln’s is described in the author’s historical note at the end of Chapter 21: “With the Union Army”?
2. In what capacity did Harriet serve the Union Army during the Civil War?
3. What slave story does the author relate in her historical note at the end of Chapter 16: “Be Ready to Step on Board”?
4. Where did Harriet take the fleeing fugitive slaves she accompanied in Chapter 19: “The Old Folks Go North”? How did she travel?
5. Where did Harriet and her party of fugitives stop in Pennsylvania in Chapter 15: “Go On or Die”? Why?
6. What happened to the abolitionists who helped the slave named Jerry, according to the author’s historical note in Chapter 13: “The Legend of Moses”?
7. What was Harriet’s principle reason for returning to Maryland in Chapter 12: “Freedom’s Clothes”? What does the title of the chapter refer to?
8. Who was Harriet helping escape enslavement in the beginning of Chapter 17: “Moses Arrives with Six Passengers”? Where did they stay before leaving the plantation?
9. What letter of Reverend Theodore Parker’s is described in the author’s historical note at the end of Chapter 12: “Freedom’s Clothes”?
10. How many trips did Harriet Tubman make to Maryland between 1851 and 1857, according to the author in Chapter 18: “A Wagon Load of Bricks”? Who was she rescuing in November of 1856?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)