|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom did Thomas Garrett send a letter in Philadelphia to let him know that Harriet and the fugitives were on their way in Chapter 17: “Moses Arrives with Six Passengers”?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Reverend Samuel Cornish.
(c) Peter Poyas.
(d) J. Miller McKim.
2. Who was the United States Commissioner who presided at Thomas Sims’s hearing?
(a) Thomas Sims.
(b) Peter Jackson.
(c) George Ticknor Curtis.
(d) John Campbell Henry.
3. Where did Harriet go to rest and see her parents in the spring of 1864?
(d) St. Catharines.
4. Harriet Tubman was present when who was inaugurated as Governor of Massachusetts in January of 1861?
(a) Jefferson Davis.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) John A. Andrew.
(d) Henry Clay.
5. How many slaves were in the party that Harriet planned to take to Canada in the beginning of Chapter 14: “The Railroad Runs to Canada”?
6. Franklin Pierce was a United States President during what years?
7. Where was John Tubman murdered?
(a) Wicomico County, Maryland.
(b) Allegany County, Maryland.
(c) Somerset County, Maryland.
(d) Talbot County, Maryland.
8. What was the name of William Henry Ross’s fiancée that he brought with him on the trip North in Chapter 16: “Be Ready to Step on Board”?
(a) Eliza Ann Brodins.
(b) Mary Patterson.
(c) Ellen Craft.
(d) Catherine Kane.
9. What was the name of John Tubman’s new wife when Harriet returned for him in Chapter 12: “Freedom’s Clothes”?
10. Harriet Tubman worked a summer where to save her money to go South and persuade John Tubman to join her in the North?
(a) Cape May, New Jersey.
(b) Schenectady, New York.
(c) Southampton, Virginia.
(d) Bucktown, Maryland.
11. Old Rit and Ben were arguing when Harriet arrived with the wagon in Chapter 19: “The Old Folks Go North” because Old Rit wanted to bring what along?
(a) Her feather tick.
(b) Her family bible.
(c) A rocking chair.
(d) A baby goat.
12. According to the records taken in Chapter 17: “Moses Arrives with Six Passengers,” John Ross had left behind his wife whose name was what?
(c) Betty Lou.
(d) Harriet Ann.
13. Harriet told the slave fugitives about William Garrett where on their journey to Canada in Chapter 14: “The Railroad Runs to Canada”?
14. What did Harriet do when one of the slaves started to turn back on her trip to Canada in Chapter 15: “Go On or Die”?
(a) She called the police.
(b) She gave him money to return.
(c) She threatened to shoot him.
(d) She told him she’d whip him.
15. Harriet told the fugitive slaves in Chapter 14: “The Railroad Runs to Canada” that William Garrett was of what religion?
(a) He was a Methodist.
(b) He was a Catholic.
(c) He was a Baptist.
(d) He was a Quaker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What friend of Harriet’s did she consider lived in Syracuse, New York, in Chapter 19: “The Old Folks Go North”?
2. Who did Harriet and the fugitives meet when they arrived in Syracuse, New York, in Chapter 15: “Go On or Die”?
3. What month was it that Harriet was leading the fugitives to Canada in the beginning of Chapter 15: “Go On or Die”?
4. Who shot Abraham Lincoln?
5. Where was Harriet working in June of 1857, according to the author in Chapter 19: “The Old Folks Go North”?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)