|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Harriet told the fugitives about William and Ellen Craft escaping from where in Chapter 15: “Go On or Die”?
(a) Jackson, Mississippi.
(b) Huntsville, Alabama.
(c) Macon, Georgia.
(d) Columbia, South Carolina.
2. Where did William and Ellen Craft go after arriving in Philadelphia, according to Harriet’s story in Chapter 15: “Go On or Die”?
(a) Boston, Massachusetts.
(b) Columbus, Ohio.
(c) Bangor, Maine.
(d) Chicago, Illinois.
3. To whom did Thomas Garrett send a letter in Philadelphia to let him know that Harriet and the fugitives were on their way in Chapter 17: “Moses Arrives with Six Passengers”?
(a) Reverend Samuel Cornish.
(b) J. Miller McKim.
(c) Peter Poyas.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
4. William Still supplied Harriet with money and sent her and the refugees on to what city in Chapter 15: “Go On or Die”?
(a) Burlington, New Jersey.
(b) Southampton, Virginia.
(c) Schenectady, New York.
(d) Boston, Massachusetts.
5. What was the name of the horse that Harriet stole in order to help her parents flee in Chapter 19: “The Old Folks Go North”?
(a) Melissa Ann.
(b) Mary Beth.
(c) Dollie Mae.
6. According to the records taken in Chapter 17: “Moses Arrives with Six Passengers,” John Ross had left behind his wife whose name was what?
(b) Betty Lou.
(d) Harriet Ann.
7. How much money did William R. Hughlett pay for Joe Bailey, according to the author in Chapter 18: “A Wagon Load of Bricks”?
8. How many trips does the author say Harriet Tubman made into Maryland between 1851 and 1857 to bring out slaves in Chapter 18: “A Wagon Load of Bricks”?
9. Harriet had not seen her father for how many years when she and her brothers stayed in the fodder house by their cabin in Chapter 17: “Moses Arrives with Six Passengers”?
10. How many slaves were in the party that Harriet planned to take to Canada in the beginning of Chapter 14: “The Railroad Runs to Canada”?
11. Who was the surgeon in charge of the Contraband Hospital that presented Harriet a certificate in Chapter 22: “The Last Years”?
(a) Dr. Anthony Thompson.
(b) Franklin B. Sanborn.
(c) Stephen Douglas.
(d) Henry K. Durrant.
12. Who was elected President of the Confederacy in 1861?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) Reverend John Rankin.
(c) Jefferson Davis.
(d) Henry Clay.
13. Of what did Harriet think in Chapter 12: “Freedom’s Clothes” “did not change a person, did not really matter”?
14. What “handsome black-haired Senator from Illinois” was trying to persuade the Senate to repeal the slavery restriction clause in 1854, according to the author in Chapter 16: “Be Ready to Step on Board”?
(a) Jacob Jackson.
(b) John Chase.
(c) Stephen Douglas.
(d) John Stewart.
15. According to the author in Chapter 16: “Be Ready to Step on Board,” it was “common talk in the cabins that [Harriet’s brothers] had been sold and were to go South with the chain gang the day after” what?
(b) “Fourth of July.”
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Harriet stop to buy some chickens in Chapter 19: “The Old Folks Go North”?
2. Harriet Tubman returned to Dorchester County in the spring of what year in Chapter 12: “Freedom’s Clothes”?
3. Who had written the document dated February 19, 1863, which read, “Pass the bearer, Harriet Tubman, to Beaufort and back to this place, and wherever she wishes to go; and give her free passage at all times, on all Government transports”?
4. Who shot Abraham Lincoln?
5. Who was the one woman in the group of fugitives that Harriet was helping North in November of 1856 in Chapter 18: “A Wagon Load of Bricks”?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)