|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year was it when the woman wearing the faded sunbonnet stopped and spoke to Harriet in Chapter 10: “A Glory Over Everything”?
2. In what year was Harriet Tubman born?
3. The yellow of Harriet’s quilt is described as being like what flower in Chapter 9: “The Patchwork Quilt”?
(a) The Sunflower.
(b) The Babylon flower.
(c) The Mecca flower.
(d) The Jerusalem flower.
4. Denmark Vesey bought his freedom when he was how old, according to the narrator in Chapter 2: “The First Years”?
5. What did Mr. Cook have his traps set for in Chapter 4: “Hired Out”?
6. What was the name of the builder that Harriet and her father were hired out to in Chapter 8: “Minta Becomes Harriet”?
(a) Thomas Sims.
(b) John Stewart.
(c) J. Miller McKim.
(d) Peter Pennington.
7. What was the name of Miss Susan’s visiting sister in Chapter 5: “Flight”?
(a) Miss Rebecca.
(b) Miss Emily.
(c) Miss Johanna.
(d) Miss Daisy.
8. How many siblings did Harriet Tubman have in Chapter 4: “Hired Out”?
9. After Harriet and her brothers turn back from fleeing, she learns they’ve been sold to a slave trader from where in Chapter 10: “A Glory Over Everything”?
10. How much did Dr. Thompson say cotton brought per pound in 1837?
(a) 6 cents.
(b) 28 cents.
(c) 13 cents.
(d) 22 cents.
11. What was the name of Harriet’s sister Mary’s husband?
(a) Joe Bailey.
(b) Charles Nalle.
(c) William Still.
(d) John Bowley.
12. What year was it when Harriet Tubman visited the office of the Philadelphia Vigilance Committee in Chapter 11: “Stranger in a Strange Land”?
13. Who does Old Rit say is in Cambridge staying at the tavern in Chapter 5: “Flight”?
(a) The Sheriff.
(b) The preacher.
(c) The trader.
(d) The Governor.
14. What did the overseer throw at the runaway slave but instead hit Harriet with it in Chapter 7: “Shuck this Corn”?
(a) A two-pound weight.
(b) A rock.
(c) A log.
(d) A hatchet.
15. Who was to oversee the plantation after Edward Brodas died?
(a) Thomas Wentworth Higginson.
(b) Franklin B. Sanborn.
(c) William Craft.
(d) Dr. Anthony Thompson.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money did Harriet pay to a lawyer to look up all of Old Rit’s masters, according to the author in Chapter 9: “The Patchwork Quilt”?
2. Miss Susan returned Harriet to the Brodas plantation, saying that she wasn’t worth what in Chapter 6: “The Underground Road”?
3. What ailment did Harriet contract while working for the Cooks in Chapter 4: “Hired Out”?
4. Who published the first issue of The Liberator?
5. On what date did Thomas Jefferson die, according to the author’s notes in Chapter 3: “Six Years Old”?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)