|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many siblings did Harriet Tubman have in Chapter 4: “Hired Out”?
2. Nat Turner was a slave where, according to the author in Chapter 6: “The Underground Road”?
(a) Macon, Georgia.
(b) Charleston, South Carolina.
(c) Boston, Massachusetts.
(d) Southampton, Virginia.
3. What did the overseer throw at the runaway slave but instead hit Harriet with it in Chapter 7: “Shuck this Corn”?
(a) A hatchet.
(b) A two-pound weight.
(c) A log.
(d) A rock.
4. The yellow of Harriet’s quilt is described as being like what flower in Chapter 9: “The Patchwork Quilt”?
(a) The Babylon flower.
(b) The Mecca flower.
(c) The Jerusalem flower.
(d) The Sunflower.
5. On whose plantation was Harriet Tubman born?
(a) Austin Woodfolk’s.
(b) Theodore Parker’s.
(c) Edward Brodas’s.
(d) John Bowley’s.
6. What special day occurred at the end of the month, according to the narrator in Chapter 3: “Six Years Old”?
(a) Remission day.
(b) Issue day.
(c) Tax day.
(d) Arbor day.
7. The office of the Philadelphia Vigilance Committee was located upstairs in what building?
(a) The Thompson Theatre.
(b) The Lebanon Seminary.
(c) Faneuil Hall.
(d) The Governor’s Mansion.
8. The slave that ran away while the others were shucking corn in Chapter 7: “Shuck this Corn” belonged to whom?
(a) Mr. Barrett.
(b) Mr. Douglas.
(c) Mr. Jackson.
(d) Mr. Sims.
9. The man who was to oversee the plantation after Edward Brodas’s death was a minister where?
10. What were the names of the two men who helped Denmark Vesey in the resurrection by building homemade pikes?
(a) Peter Poyas and Mingo Harth.
(b) Charles Nalle and John A. Andrew.
(c) Henry K. Durrant and George Ticknor Curtis.
(d) John Chase and William Bailey.
11. Who published the first issue of The Liberator?
(a) Thomas Wentworth Higginson.
(b) George Ticknor Curtis.
(c) William Lloyd Garrison.
(d) William Henry Ross.
12. What year was it that Harriet started wearing a bandana, according to the author in Chapter 6: “The Underground Road”?
13. Denmark Vesey bought his freedom when he was how old, according to the narrator in Chapter 2: “The First Years”?
14. How many slaves were hung along with Denmark Vesey for plotting the insurrection, according to the author in Chapter 2: “The First Years”?
15. How much money did Harriet pay to a lawyer to look up all of Old Rit’s masters, according to the author in Chapter 9: “The Patchwork Quilt”?
Short Answer Questions
1. The woman who came looking for a young female slave to hire out in Chapter 4: “Hired Out” was married to whom?
2. Thomas Jefferson composed the initial draft of what famous document?
3. How much wood did Harriet usually cut per day as a part of her father’s team in Chapter 8: “Minta Becomes Harriet”?
4. What year was it when Harriet Ross began to make a patchwork quilt in Chapter 9: “The Patchwork Quilt”?
5. In what year was Harriet Ross married to John Tubman?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)